Community > Posts By > SM8

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 09:04 AM

To SM8

wow all that knowledge about turtles I just learned something very valuable in what you wrote.

now I want a turtle....lol

Thanks, actually It was from an article fond on the internet.

What made you think about owning a boa constrictor ?

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 08:03 AM
Nicely done great job expressing emotions. the poem flowed well.

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 08:17 PM
Orillia

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 08:13 PM
origin

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 08:01 PM
True lives

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 07:27 PM
Rocky Road

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 07:20 PM
Pizza and ice cream

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 07:12 PM

True love is unconditional,it is selfless and it is being good to the one you one! It is the kind of love that say,"I will always be good to you. No matter what." Never quitting on each other and never losing respect for each other! That's what I believe what true love is!

I agree with most of what you are saying.

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 12:24 PM
November 14 Scorpio

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 09:28 AM

to SM8,

cool , your turtle is it a regular turtle or a small mud turtle? im very curious about turtles. I wanted on as a kid but was never was able to have one . maybe I still want one . what does they eat?

I have found this article hope it helps for information

North American box turtles are mainly terrestrial turtles, although they do spend some time in shallow water (Asian box turtles tend to be a bit more aquatic). Compared to aquatic turtles such as red eared sliders, they are more challenging and complex pets, and are not the best choice for beginning turtle owners. With a potential life span of up to 100 years, these turtles obviously require a long term commitment (however, the average life span of captive box turtles is probably closer to only 40-50 years).

Ads

Aquarium Water Care

www.fluvalaquatics.com/Watercare

Water care solutions to remove toxins & waste from your aquarium.

Pet cemetery/crematory

www.toothacres.com

Serving the Metroplex with caring and professionalism since 1979.

Remove Malware - Free

free-malware-removal.sparktrust.com

Quick Malware Removal in 2 minutes. Free Download (Highly Recommended)

•Pet Care
•Turtle
•Pet Transport
•Pet Insurance
•Pet Sitting Service

More about box turtle species can be found in "Box Turtle Species".

Picking a Healthy Turtle
Try to find a captive bred turtle, as wild caught turtles tend to be stressed, dehydrated, and prone to disease as a result of their stress and environment during capture/transport. In addition, support of the wild catch/pet trade in box turtles may further threaten their numbers in the wild (and taking in native turtles is illegal in many states). An alternate source is shelters or rescue groups.

Find a turtle in the late spring or summer months; it is best to avoid purchasing a box turtle during the fall or winter when it should be hibernating. Make sure the turtle feels "solid" (i.e. not like an empty shell), and has clear eyes and nostrils and a firm, solid shell, and no swellings. It is wise to get a stool sample checked by a veterinarian and deal with any parasites, and take the turtle to a vet immediately if it is not eating shortly after arriving home (it may need rehydration). Also keep in mind that box turtles, like other reptiles, can carry Salmonella so careful hygiene is required during handling of turtles and cleaning their enclosures.

Ads

1 Rule of a flat stomach:

redirectyourcarbs.com

Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by using this 1 weird old tip.

Husband/Wife Neglect You?

www.marriagemax.com

Get 7 Secrets to Stop Neglect. Free New Alternative to Counseling.

Housing Options
A well designed outdoor pen, providing appropriate substrate, humidity, access to water, and protection form predators will work well in appropriate climates (generally speaking, this is probably limited to areas where box turtles are indigenous). In fact, most box turtles will only thrive if kept outdoors, for at least part of the year. If kept indoors, the utmost care must be taken to provide an appropriately sized enclosure with provisions for heat, humidity, and lighting. An indoor set up will require considerable space and requires good landscaping, a heat source, a basking light and a UVA/UVB lamp (important for Vitamin D and calcium metabolism).

More on building good outdoor housing can be found in "Outdoor Pens for Box Turtles."

Feeding
A varied diet must also be provided. Box turtles are omnivores, but different species and different aged turtles tend to have preferences for either more animal protein or more vegetation in their diet. For example, in some species of box turtle are more carnivorous than adults. They must be feed a variety of foods from both groups including plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, insects, low fat meats, pinky mice, and other foods. For more information on feeding, see "What Should I Feed my Box Turtle?"

Hibernation
North American box turtles hibernate and this complicates their husbandry somewhat. Appropriate conditions must be provided sheets for hibernation with a warning that turtles that are not in good condition/health should not be allowed to hibernate as they will not have the reserves and strength to survive. Do everything possible to ensure good health prior to the time of year that hibernation should begin. For unhealthy animals a period of hibernation, when all bodily functions slow considerably, hibernation will only make health problems worse, if not kill the turtle.

More Resources
There are several different species of box turtle, and each has variations in their housing and dietary needs. There are numerous excellent resources available with details on housing and feeding (some aimed at indoor keeping, others at outdoors). Rather than detailing the care of different species here, I highly recommend researching these turtles very well before deciding on them as a pet. Good places to start your research:

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 09:22 AM
Bahamas

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 06:04 AM
A vacation :)

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 05:51 AM
Damn soon it will be time to bring out coats and scarfs :(

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 05:26 AM
Books on the computer desk , a drawing from my 5 year old done last night, a flash light, keyboard, mouse pad my 12 year olds laptop on the dinning room table , chairs ...

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 05:02 AM

African Python Boa Constrictor named Valimir, he was very passive.
They grow up to 6ft & eat live food; mice.
I had him for years.

At one time, I had 7 snakes & 2 toads & the live food ,mice & crickets....

Crickets are annoying... never again. laugh

I have thought about owning toads and or a frog are they hard to care for?

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 04:58 AM
Edited by SM8 on Thu 09/03/15 05:04 AM
The box turtle I have owned since I was in my 20's I am now in my 30's lol. My Mom owned him before me so I am not sure how old he is.

I have also owned hermit crabs watching them molt was pretty disgusting but they make neat pets.

Thanks for asking :)

no photo
Thu 09/03/15 04:49 AM

would woman be willing to sign a consent form before having sex?? with new sex laws being passed I think that's where we are heading.

Are you serious?

no photo
Wed 09/02/15 12:15 PM

Is there really a point, to "getting revenge" against an ex?

No not really just a waist of time.

no photo
Wed 09/02/15 12:12 PM
lol :)

no photo
Wed 09/02/15 12:09 PM
Beginners guide to butterflies, murder she wrote and The Astronauts Canada's Voyageurs In Space.