Community > Posts By > SM8

no photo
Wed 10/07/15 05:15 AM

How to prepare astronauts for Mars mission?

88 cans of beans and a big bon fire

oh wait , thats how to launch and astronaut in to space

uhm never mind

they wouldnt let me smoke , so not interested
that whole open flame in a space craft they frown apon

I can see how that would be a problem :(

no photo
Wed 10/07/15 05:12 AM

I want to be an astronaut sad sad sad

I am sure you would make a good astronaut.

no photo
Tue 10/06/15 01:08 PM

How to prepare astronauts for Mars mission? NASA consults U.S. Navy submarine force

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/10/05/how-to-prepare-astronauts-for-mars-mission-nasa-consults-us-navy-submarine-force

Michael Melia, The Associated Press

Monday, October 5, 2015 11:57:50 EDT AM

GROTON, Conn. -- As NASA contemplates a manned voyage to Mars and the effects missions deeper into space could have on astronauts, it's tapping research from another outfit with experience sending people to the deep: the U.S. Navy submarine force.

The space agency is working with a military laboratory at the submarine base in Groton, Conn., to measure how teams cope with stress during month-long simulations of space flight.

While one travels through outer space and the other the ocean's depths, astronauts and submariners face many of the same challenges. Isolated for long stretches of time, they rely on crewmates for their lives in remote, inhospitable environments.

"We have a shared interest with the Navy in team resilience," Brandon Vessey, a scientist with NASA's human research program, told The Associated Press. "When you stick people together for a long period of time, how are they going to do?"

The Navy research that piqued NASA's interest started about five years ago when the Groton-based Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory, at the request of the submarine force, began examining ways to make tactical teams work together better.

Through observation of submarine crews, the Navy scientists developed a way to evaluate how teams are performing. The study singled out important team practices including dialogue, critical thinking and decision-making and developed a way to assess how teams respond to setbacks. The research was made available more than a year ago to submarines' commanding officers, but it has not yet been institutionalized by the Navy.

"If this tool can identify precursors of when a team is about to change, that's particularly what we're hoping for," said Jerry Lamb, the lab's technical director.

The experiment with NASA is expected to begin in January or February. The space agency is taking a bigger interest in human behaviour issues as it pursues the capability to send humans to an asteroid by 2025 and to Mars in the 2030s.

NASA is using a capsule about the size of a two-bedroom apartment at the Johnson Space Center in Houston to study how astronauts might perform and behave during lengthy missions. Four volunteers at a time live and work for 30 days at a time aboard the habitat, known as the Human Exploration Research Analog, which includes an airlock and is supported by a small version of mission control.

Video and audio recordings of the subjects from the experiment with the Navy lab will be sent to scientists in Connecticut for their analysis.

Ronald Steed, a former submarine commander who participated in the Navy's research, said the experience aboard a space ship will resemble that of submariners more as it travels farther into space and faces a longer delay in communications with Earth.

"Like a submarine commander can't always call to shore, you can't just call back to Earth for advice," he said. "The commander's going to have to have a set of tools that let him or her look at the crew and make a determination about where they are."

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:55 AM
In 1977, A Nurse Held A Burned Baby... 38 Years Later, She Never Expected To Hear THIS

http://www.littlethings.com/woman-nurse-reunite-v1/?utm_source=soup&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=shocking

For decades, Amanda Scarpinati held on to black-and-white photos of a nurse holding her at 3 months old.

The 1977 photos were taken at the Albany Medical Center in New York after Scarpinati fell from a couch onto a hot-steam humidifier. She suffered severe third-degree burns and her head was wrapped in thick gauze.

In the years that followed, she would undergo several surgeries and be teased by her classmates.

But, like the nurse who did the unthinkable for her patient with terminal cancer, this nurse also provided much more than just medical aid.

“Growing up as a child, disfigured by the burns, I was bullied and picked on, tormented,” Scarpinati told the Associated Press. “I’d look at those pictures and talk to her, even though I didn’t know who she was. I took comfort looking at this woman who seemed so sincere, caring for me.”

Scarpinati hoped to one day find the nurse who gave her comfort through such a dire time. After 20 years of searching with no luck, Scarpinati turned to the power of social media. She shared the precious photos on her Facebook page writing, “I would love to know her name and possibly get a chance to talk to her and meet her. Please share as you never know who it could reach.”

Her post went viral and what happened next is truly heartwarming…

Angela Leary, who worked with the nurse at the hospital that year, identified her as Susan Berger.

Berger was 21 at the time and just out of college. As it turns out, the now Executive Vice President of New York’s Cazenovia College remembered Scarpinati and even held on to the same photos. Berger even spoke of the little girl she once cared for to her family and friends.

“She was very peaceful,” she said. “Usually when babies come out of surgery, they’re sleeping or crying. She was just so calm and trusting. It was amazing.”

Shortly thereafter, the two had an emotional reunion after 38 years.

“I don’t know how many nurses would be lucky enough to have something like this happen, to have someone remember you all that time,” Berger said. “I feel privileged to be the one to represent all the nurses who cared for her over the years.”

While a nurse’s work is sometimes overlooked, Scarpinati’s quest to find Susan Berger proves how important they really are. It also emphasizes the positive affect one person can have on another.

Please SHARE this heartwarming story to show appreciation for the unbelievable work nurses do!

no photo
Sun 10/04/15 04:54 PM
A few celebrities seem to be adopting.

no photo
Sun 10/04/15 04:22 PM
Edited by SM8 on Sun 10/04/15 04:24 PM

Sandra Bullock reportedly adopts baby girl 0

WENN.com

Friday, October 2, 2015 5:28:32 EDT PM

Sandra Bullock. (<A HREF="http://www.wenn.com" TARGET="newwindow">WENN.COM</a>)

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/10/02/sandra-bullock-reportedly-adopts-again

Sandra Bullock has reportedly adopted a baby girl.

Sources tell Entertainment Tonight the actress became a new mom two months ago after taking charge of a sister for her adopted son Louis.

The adoption rumours began earlier this year, but her representatives have yet to confirm the news.

Bullock first became a mum in January, 2010, and she broke the news to the world with a magazine cover story in People.

In April, the Gravity star admitted she'd like "a house full of kids", but added, "I'm wickedly unprepared in Louis is getting a sibling this week".

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 07:02 PM
Single from Ontario

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 03:38 PM
Saturday, October 3, 2015, 5:15 PM - Scientists recently dug up the remains of a nearly complete mammoth skeleton in Michigan, which has spawned insight into the lives of early humans living in the area.

The mammoth is believed to have lived between 10,000 and 15,000 years ago and was more than likely hunted by humans who butchered and stored the meat during winter when food was more scarce, according to University of Michigan professor Daniel Fisher.

A soybean farmer was installing a drainage pipe when he made the surprising discovery in a field located southwest of Ann Arbor.

An excavator and a team of University of Michigan paleontologists were able to recover about 20 per cent of the animal's bones, including the skull, two tusks, pelvis, both shoulder blades and numerous vertebrae and ribs, according to a University of Michigan press release.

"We think that humans were here and may have butchered and stashed the meat so that they could come back for it later," Fisher said in the release.

About 300 mastodons, another elephant-like prehistoric creature, and 20 mammoths have been discovered in Michigan over the years.

"We get one or two calls like this a year, but most of them are mastodons," Fisher said.

Evidence to support the claim that early humans were inhabiting the area include three basketball-sized boulders recovered next to the animal's skeleton. Fisher believes the boulders were used to pin down the carcass in a pond. A stone flake was also discovered beside one of the tusks which may have been used as a cutting tool, the release reads.

The bones will need to be washed and examined for cut marks that may indicate butchering.

The timing in which humans arrived in the Americas remains a topic of debate among archaeologists.

Source: University of Michigan

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/mammoth-remains-discovered-hints-at-role-of-early-humans-/58096/

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 02:58 PM

Bootleggers should be booted. There are very few cam copy versions that are even decent to watch. If it is something I just have to see right away, (Godzilla, Jurassic World, ect...) I will shell out the money and find a date and go see the movie in 3d.
Those cam versions are awful and ruin the movie. I would rather wait for a clean copy than ruin the experience trying to watch out of focus, out of frame, cut-off garbled blurs.

Jurassic World was a pretty good movie.

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 08:44 AM

Yes, but how good do they taste, sauteed in garlic butter? I need to know if I am forced one day to eat my phone, will I have a god time?

Absolutely :) You can eat your phone with what ever will make you happy :) lol

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 07:44 AM
http://www.newser.com/story/213743/how-portobello-mushrooms-may-power-your-phone.html

How Portobello Mushrooms May Power Your Phone

Their porous structure is key

By Elizabeth Armstrong Moore, Newser Staff

Posted Oct 1, 2015 9:19 AM CDT

STORY
COMMENTS (19)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email

(Newser) – It isn't happening just yet, but a new scientific paper shows that it's possible, and perhaps even advantageous, to make batteries out of organic biological materials that have the added benefit of being cheap, environmentally friendly, and easy to produce, reports CNET. Engineers at the University of California, Riverside, report in the journal Scientific Reports that they've developed a new kind of lithium-ion battery anode that uses portobello mushrooms, which turn out to be so efficient (thanks largely to their porousness) that they could even replace the industry standard of synthetic graphite.

The development could affect multiple industries, reports Discovery, which notes that biological materials might enable us to bring down costs and expend less energy in manufacturing, while synthetic graphite demands specific preparation and purification processes that are not only more costly but less environmentally friendly. The mushroom carbon anode tech could ultimately replace graphite anodes, the team reports in a press release: "With battery materials like this, future cell phones may see an increase in run time after many uses, rather than a decrease, due to apparent activation of blind pores within the carbon architectures as the cell charges and discharges over time," says one researcher. (Check out why some mushrooms glow in the dark.)

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 07:38 AM
http://www.newser.com/story/213383/cinemas-may-be-watching-you-with-night-vision-googles.html

Cinemas May Be Watching You With Night Vision Goggles

In the UK, it's part of an effort to crack down on movie piracy

By Michael Harthorne, Newser Staff

Posted Sep 24, 2015 5:17 PM CDT

(Newser) – When the new 007 film Spectre hits UK theaters next month, James Bond won't be the only one with cool spy gear. The Telegraph reports theater staff equipped with "military-style night-vision goggles" will patrol screenings looking for would-be bootleggers. "The bigger the film and the more anticipated it is, the higher risk it is," says Kieron Sharp, the head of the Federation Against Copyright Theft. "James Bond is a big risk and we will be working with cinema operators and the distributors making sure we will keep that as tight as possible. We really don't want to see that recorded."

Smartphones are making movie pirating easier than ever, and theaters have to up their game to combat increasingly sneaky bootleggers, the Guardian reports. “They use various tricks like cutting a hole in a popcorn cup," Sharp says. "Sometimes we see a sock with a hole cut in, which they put over the phone so there is no shine to the phone.” According to the Telegraph, bootleggers now compete against each other to be the first to post movies—especially ones that appeal to young men—online. Spectre is expected to be one of the biggest films of the year and is opening in the United Kingdom at least a week earlier than anywhere else, the Guardian reports.

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 06:26 AM
Awakenings

Tremors

The Associate

Batteries not included

no photo
Sat 10/03/15 06:19 AM
city

no photo
Fri 10/02/15 07:42 PM
I am mostly right handed. I have a few friends who are left handed and about two that are ambidextrous.

no photo
Fri 10/02/15 05:02 PM

Why Are Some People Ambidextrous?

by Denise Chow, Sci-Tech Editor | April 02, 2010 12:46pm ET

Surprisingly, very little is known about what makes people ambidextrous, or able to use either hand effectively.

Research has made some links between handedness and hemispheres of the brain. Studies have shown that people who have a preference for using their right hand tend to have brains in which the left-hemisphere is dominant.

Some scientists have suggested that for ambidextrous people, neither hemisphere in the brain is dominant.

It is generally understood that there are four variations of handedness. There are people who are right-handed, left-handed, mixed-handed (when people prefer using their left hand for some tasks and their right for others), and people who are truly ambidextrous.

According to a study that was published in the January issue of Pediatrics, approximately one-in-100 people are ambidextrous, meaning they can use either hand for various (but not necessarily all) tasks with ease.

The exact number of people who are mixed-handed is unclear, and people who are truly ambidextrous where they can use either hand to carry out all tasks with equal proficiency are very rare.

Ambidextrous athletes are even rarer, and can be valuable commodities to their team.

The New York Yankees have an interesting prospect in Pat Venditte, a young ambidextrous pitcher currently playing in the Yankees' minor league system. The 24-year-old hurler made his debut for the Yankees in late March during spring training, pitching with both his right and left hand.

Maybe the single, egg-bound, winning sperm was in two minds which side of the egg to impregnate? :)

That is very possible :)

no photo
Fri 10/02/15 04:52 PM

I wonder how many flu bugs he passed on to his fellow officers?

He may have passed on the flue or maybe he got the flue vaccine? Most people go to work sick.

no photo
Fri 10/02/15 04:47 PM

Wow..35 years. Now that is what I call " above & beyond the call of duty " :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this

No problem

To bad he missed his sons wedding though :(

Flowers, who began receiving promotions in 1992, said his closet call with a sick day came about five years ago when his gall bladder ruptured the day before one of his sons wed.

"I had to have emergency surgery. So I missed his wedding but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any work," he said. "Fortunately our police department has a light duty policy and I was able to come back to work."

no photo
Fri 10/02/15 04:31 PM

Why Are Some People Ambidextrous?

by Denise Chow, Sci-Tech Editor | April 02, 2010 12:46pm ET

Surprisingly, very little is known about what makes people ambidextrous, or able to use either hand effectively.

Research has made some links between handedness and hemispheres of the brain. Studies have shown that people who have a preference for using their right hand tend to have brains in which the left-hemisphere is dominant.

Some scientists have suggested that for ambidextrous people, neither hemisphere in the brain is dominant.

It is generally understood that there are four variations of handedness. There are people who are right-handed, left-handed, mixed-handed (when people prefer using their left hand for some tasks and their right for others), and people who are truly ambidextrous.

According to a study that was published in the January issue of Pediatrics, approximately one-in-100 people are ambidextrous, meaning they can use either hand for various (but not necessarily all) tasks with ease.

The exact number of people who are mixed-handed is unclear, and people who are truly ambidextrous where they can use either hand to carry out all tasks with equal proficiency are very rare.

Ambidextrous athletes are even rarer, and can be valuable commodities to their team.

The New York Yankees have an interesting prospect in Pat Venditte, a young ambidextrous pitcher currently playing in the Yankees' minor league system. The 24-year-old hurler made his debut for the Yankees in late March during spring training, pitching with both his right and left hand.

no photo
Fri 10/02/15 04:10 PM

Alabama police officer retiring after 35 years without a sick day

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/10/02/alabama-police-officer-retiring-after-35-years-without-a-sick-day

Jay Reeves, The Associated Press

Friday, October 2, 2015 11:17:06 EDT AM

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Mike Flowers, 59, learned a lesson from his parents as a boy: Get up and get going every day, no matter what.

The message stuck in a serious way, and Flowers is now retiring after a 35-year career as a police officer without ever having taken a sick day.

Flowers, a captain who oversees the Tuscaloosa Police Department's east precinct and tactical team, will work his last shift Friday without ever giving in to a queasy stomach, a sniffle or an achy body. He's never awakened, hit the alarm and gone back to sleep just because he didn't want to go to work.

It all goes back to childhood, he said.

"My mother always made me get up and go to school. Other than having the measles in the first grade I didn't miss any school days, either," said Flowers.

As astounding as Flowers' record might seem in a country where a 2013 study by PwC found the average worker takes about five sick days a year, Flowers doesn't see it as a big deal. He's just gone to work, perhaps with the assistance of good fortune and heredity.

A native of Tuscaloosa, Flowers joined the Tuscaloosa Police Department on Oct. 4, 1980. His first serious brush with missing a day came when he was a motorcycle officer around 1984.

"I had a motorcycle wreck one time where I had to have my ... my arm in a splint for about a week. But back in the '80s you were allowed to come to work with a splint on your arm. So I came to work and I rode my motorcycle with a splint on my arm," Flowers said.

Flowers, who began receiving promotions in 1992, said his closet call with a sick day came about five years ago when his gall bladder ruptured the day before one of his sons wed.

"I had to have emergency surgery. So I missed his wedding but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any work," he said. "Fortunately our police department has a light duty policy and I was able to come back to work."

With retirement, Flowers plans to get a boat and spend more time on Alabama's Gulf Coast. He said he's getting out of law enforcement at a good time given the increasing danger that officers face on the street, but he's going to miss friends and co-workers at the office.

"One of the things I can say about this job is that I enjoy doing this or I wouldn't have done it for 35 years," he said.

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25