Community > Posts By > tribefan73

tribefan73's photo
Sat 01/30/10 04:34 PM
"Seeing Redd" by Frank Beddor. It's the 2nd book of a trilogy by him. He revisits Alice's Wonderland with a different take. The 1st book is called "The Looking Glass Wars". My youngest son wanted me to read these so we could have something in common to discuss. I like his writing style & story lines.

tribefan73's photo
Sat 01/30/10 04:23 PM

Can I respectfully suggest Chet Atkins, Mark Knofler & Les Paul?

Absolutely, yes! Along with Dick Dale & Chuck Berry, these guys were the pioneers especially Les. He explored some the styles that were employed by other that followed, plus he invented some of the plug-ins so prevalent later on.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 08:41 PM

NBC has really gone down the crapper in the last year or so. SNL really really REALLY sucks now. Only thing worth watching is the News Update and it's just okay. The majority of the cast now is holding on for dear life for their jobs and I guess are doing whatever material is presented before them. A new batch of actors/writers is needed asap. Their writers have just given up and the guest hosts act like they've never been in front of a live audience before.

SNL is the absolute worst. I tried watching it last year. The first sketch was pretty funny. It went downhill from there.

I would say: let it die, but I remember thinking that at different times, throughout the years,only to get a new cast and writers and have it resurrected into something funny again.

In my humble opinion, the problem with SNL is not the writers or the cast, although throughout the years some have been superior to others, it's Lorne Michaels. He's the one common denominator for the decline. He's out of touch, out of ideas & over due to be replaced.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 08:23 PM

You have me there. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like we need to get together with a 6 pack of either Guinness or Smithwick's & have a good old time listening to New Wave music.
New Wave, baby! drinker :tongue:

Back at cha!! drinker drinks drinker

Here's a couple more: Siouxsie and the Banshees & Squeeze.

On XM's 1st Wave they like to include American Bands like The Cars, The Ramones, Talking Heads & R.E.M., so I will too.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 08:08 PM
Edited by tribefan73 on Wed 01/27/10 08:12 PM
"Candy" by Iggy Pop.

BTW Catsloveme, if you type the left bracket symbol then url then the right bracket before the link & then left bracket symbol /url and then the right bracket after the link, it make them "hot" links.

i.e. [u r l] link [/u r l] without the spaces between the letters url.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 08:04 PM
You have me there. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like we need to get together with a 6 pack of either Guinness or Smithwick's & have a good old time listening to New Wave music.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 08:00 PM

dang! I can't read all these quotes! Its' hurting my eyes!!!

Woo hoo!!! Holly's in the house. :wink: love flowerforyou

Agreed about the multiple quotes. It does become a bit too much.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 07:53 PM

how cool. I was just turned on to Echo and the Bunnyman this summer!
Right on, brother. Oh, and there's The The, The Durritti Column, The Tear Drop Explodes...Joy Division...:tongue:

Let's include Yaz & although they're from the "land down under" I like to include them. The Fixx, The Clash, Big Audio Dynamite, Midnight Oil & INXS.
The Fixx! Their guitar player, Jamie West Oldham...he's a favorite of mine. Him and the guy from Flock Og Seagulls, and the guy in Adam and The Ants. New Wave guitarists rock! drinker :tongue:

The main riff in Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" is classic!

Agreed! I totally forgot about Flock of Seagull & Adam & the Ants. Don't forget Billy Idol's lead guitarist. He was over looked in my book. Remember when 2 of the guitar players from Duran Duran got together with Robert Palmer & the drummer from Chic, Tony Thompson, to form Power Station? "Some Like it Hot" is one of my all time favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYqIvnPvqQ

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 07:26 PM

how cool. I was just turned on to Echo and the Bunnyman this summer!
Right on, brother. Oh, and there's The The, The Durritti Column, The Tear Drop Explodes...Joy Division...:tongue:

Let's include Yaz & although they're from the "land down under" I like to include them. The Fixx, The Clash, Big Audio Dynamite, Midnight Oil & INXS.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 07:19 PM
Edited by tribefan73 on Wed 01/27/10 07:21 PM

Anybody see this movie? My boys want to order it on Pay Per View..
I don't know anything about it, is it any good?

Yes I have & I found it to be unsettling. Not your average Sci-Fi movie. Parts were predictable but most were not. Also, there are some extremely graphic violent scenes, that may upset you. I had a difficult time trying to relate to it. I went into it totally knowing nothing about it. I would look for it a rental kiosk instead of paying $5 or more to watch it. There is a thread elsewhere in this forum where someone explains what the analogy is. Look under "What is the worst movie you've ever seen?" Hope this helps.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 07:07 PM

This should be a post-punk thread , no? I should mention P.I.L., WIRE,...Gang of Four....

I forgot to mention Ultravox, Depeche Mode & Pet Shop Boys.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 07:05 PM

Hey Islanders!!!

I have a date for dinner next week! How cool is that??:banana: :banana:

A dinner you are not cooking??? YOU ROCK, SISTA!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

We will, of course, expect a full report on the island...living vicariously through the dates of others is all we've got sometimes, ya know?

I will be sure to take notes so I can report back to ya, but if I drip my soup on my blouse, I'm not telling!laugh
You can keep that secret.laugh laugh Not exactly the detail we would be looking for anyway.bigsmile

Yeah! We just want to know the mushy stuff.
Right the important stuff like---did you teach him to swing from the vines and did he sing???bigsmile blushing

HOt Lips! We want details! We want lots of details!

Ok, I'll tell all when it happens next week...after all I have a reputation to maintainpitchfork

To make sure it goes well we could give advice! What to wear ... how to smell ... you know ... helpful stuff!

Yeah right...laugh laugh

Yeah, that would be a bad idea. I guess what I should have said is that you can let ME help with what to wear, how to smell and stuff!:banana: :banana:

Well actually...when I go out to dinner...I'd like to wear something besides a SMELL!...laugh

Try a dinner wearing NOTHING but a smell (the island way). You well be guaranteed to get results.
[/quote

You are hopeless!!laugh laugh

I think all the island should work on this problem and answer this question! What should Hot Lips smell like on her hot date?

Inquiring minds want to know?
BBQ Ribs---guaranteed to get nibbled!!!pitchfork

I like the way this lady thinks! Just think BBQ sauce & "ribs", yum!! And don't forget whipped cream & chocolate for "desert".

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 06:54 PM
Count me in. You can find them on XM's 1st Wave & Pandora. Matter of fact they're still touring & are coming to the states later this year. As I'm writing this, "The Killing Moon" started playing on XM.

I'm a big fan of the music from the 2nd British invasion during the '80's. The Cure, The Cult, Thompson Twins, ABC, Duran Duran, Thomas Dolby, Spandau Ballet, Crowded House, Madness, Simply Red, Joe Jackson, Simple Minds, Howard Jones, New Order, The Smiths, Tears for Fears & on & on.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 06:31 PM
The Truth is Out There!

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 02:51 PM
Edited by tribefan73 on Wed 01/27/10 02:54 PM

maybe change my r. hand back to normal (scarred up)

from what Shasta?

Beleive it or not, was caught in the middle of gunfire and my thumb was shot off, then re-attached. Now I fondly call it my claw, as it's 1/2 the size of the other thumb. Ah...life..and it's adventureslaugh :wink:

Holy crap!!!surprised tears WOW!

And thought having a piece of shrapnel breaking my left femur was bad. Good thing you haven't had anyone say something trite like, "That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger".

As for my change, well, I wish my... I almost forgot myself, this is PG thread.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 02:44 PM
Am I Really That Bad!?

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 02:38 PM
Yep, sure do. Agent Mulder of X Files did & that's good enough for me, lol.

Seriously, your ex is an idiot. He should have been involved in your children's lives from the outset. Unfortunately, it's guys like him that make men look bad. Maybe he's had an attack of conscience, who knows? Hopefully from here on out he'll want to be more involved. When he's not involved everyone suffers,especially the children.

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 02:19 PM
Johnny Winter "Be Careful With a Fool".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tyg5SJDpiQ

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 02:04 PM

Holly did the horse get it ALL???

I would pay good money to see that!! :wink: bigsmile devil

tribefan73's photo
Wed 01/27/10 01:52 PM
My nomination is "Surveillance" by Jennifer Lynch, daughter of David of Twin Peaks fame. This absolute disaster of a movie must have gone straight to DVD. What drew me in, was Bill Pullman of Independence Day & Julia Ormond of Sabrina, were in this. Has anyone else endured this mess?

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 24 25