Community > Posts By > Spidercmb

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 03:31 PM

why should just unrelated lovers suffer

let the siblings and cousins marry too,,,why not???

First cousins should legally be able to marry and are in most states. Siblings have an unacceptably high chance of producing children with birth defects.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 03:28 PM

Wow! What a nice change of heart. Wonder why he's changing now??what

He's hoping to get more independents and he wants to shore up his gay voters. The problem (for him) is that gay marriage is still unpopular and this will probably hurt him in the long run.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 03:09 PM
"Revenge is a dish best served cold" and "Revenge is sweet". I believe revenge is a dessert and should be saved until after dinner or it will ruin your appetite.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 02:32 PM
More than 50,000 people have been killed in Mexico's war on drugs since December 2006

More than 50,000 people have been killed in Mexico's war on drugs since December 2006, when outgoing President Felipe Calderon launched a nationwide military crackdown on organized crime. Most of the deaths have been from turf battles between rival gangs.

How many of those 50k+ were innocent people who were caught in a turf war? How many innocent lives have to be lost, before we admit that you can't win a war against human nature. Some people want drugs, why stand in their way? All that we have accomplished with the war on drugs is to make some thugs rich and get thousands of people murdered.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 12:00 PM

Okay so now how about the statement that mating is "random."

If mating is simply "random" then we should all have mates. (We don't need mingle, all we need to do is go into a shopping mall and find a member of the opposite sex and randomly pair up.)

Mating is not simply random. In fact, like attracts like.

First, I have to clarify: I'm not arguing that those "scientists" were 100% right, I'm arguing that you are wrong. The use of the word "luck" can be used in a scientific paper. Randomness does exist.

Second of all, even if mating were completely random, it wouldn't mean that every individual would have a mate. That is a non sequitur.

Third, I agree that mating is not random.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 11:56 AM

I think for scientists to explain evolution using the ingredient "luck" is very unscientific.

It's still English and they commonly speak English.

Does "Random chance" sound better?

It certainly has more fluff, but in this context its the same thing.

There is no such thing as "luck." Nothing is "random." I just appears that way.

And appearances are what scientists live and swear by.

Plenty of things are random. You are confusing "random" and "causation". There is random causation. A whole series of events could happen that cause a bowling ball to fall out of a plane, but it's just random chance that it falls on your head.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 11:49 AM

I believe that there is a true reason and set of causes and a true scientific reason for everything that happens.

I don't believe in "luck" or non influenced randomness.

Everything that appears to be "random" has a set of causes.

Everything that is random has a set of causes, the two are not mutually exclusive.

From Wikipedia: In the descriptive sense, luck is merely a name we give to events after they occur which we find to be fortuitous and perhaps improbable.

In other words, you are running late for work and you hit all green lights, you can call that good luck. It doesn't mean that anything supernatural happened, it doesn't mean that there weren't underlying naturalistic reasons for what happened, it's just a way of describing the event.

Similarly, a scientist could write "Giant Fruit bats evolved in a single isolated valley and through luck, they were able to survive long enough as a species to spread throughout Africa." and simply mean that circumstances allowed the giant fruit bat to evolve as a species and grow to large enough numbers, so that they could spread out and become successful in other habitats.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 11:26 AM

What causes you to believe that randomness exists and what to you think is the cause for randomness?

Or are you saying that some things have no cause?

I would like to talk about the scientific understanding of luck and randomness. It is, after all, an extremely important ingredient to that video that explains evolution.

Luck is either prescriptive or descriptive. You are thinking of supernatural luck, which is prescriptive. The video is talking about the descriptive type of luck. They had bad luck in that a new predator species entered the area or there was a long drought or a huge flood or disease. Any natural phenomena that is unlucky for the species.

No, I'm talking about the 25% who died of random causes "they were unlucky."

Apparently scientists believe in luck and that luck has something to do with randomness.

I'm sure they believe in descriptive luck and it definitely has something to do with randomness. You can't allow your belief in the supernatural to overwhelm your common sense. Sometimes when your car dies on the highway, it was just a random incident that has nothing to do with high powers or reptilians or ghosts or any other non material thing. Sometimes, bad things just happen randomly.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 11:21 AM

What causes you to believe that randomness exists and what to you think is the cause for randomness?

Or are you saying that some things have no cause?

I would like to talk about the scientific understanding of luck and randomness. It is, after all, an extremely important ingredient to that video that explains evolution.

Luck is either prescriptive or descriptive. You are thinking of supernatural luck, which is prescriptive. The video is talking about the descriptive type of luck. They had bad luck in that a new predator species entered the area or there was a long drought or a huge flood or disease. Any natural phenomena that is unlucky for the species.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 11:09 AM

I saw the Avengers last night. Even without seeing the previous movies except for Ironman, I really enjoyed it. Lots of fun. I thought Mark Ruffalo made a completely awesome Hulk.

Marvel has come up with a winning formula. The personalities of the characters "feed" certain parts of the plot so to really "get it" you might want to go back and see the earlier movies which makes Marvel (and Disney) a few more bucks.

The character development of Thor and Loki are set up in Thor, which I liked a lot.

Ed Norton played Hulk before and set up the conditions where Hulk can be a good guy or a bad guy, depending upon circumstances. The scene in this movie where he attacks Natasha didn't seem to follow the character development but was a good scene anyway. The Hulk generally does not smash women.

I would think if you liked this movie you would like the ones that lead up to it too. It's like a big soap opera.

The Hulk attacks women when he's mad at them and he was mad in that scene. You are right, that the Hulk's generally good nature will cause him to stop fighting to protect innocent women and children.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 10:59 AM
Police Beat White Homeless Man To Death, Media Ignores

At a preliminary trial hearing, a video of Fullerton, California police officers beating a homeless man to death was shown yesterday. The court audience reacted with shock and horror to the tape, which shows Officer Manuel Ramos giving orders to the schizophrenic Kelly Thomas, who complies for a few minutes before standing up and apparently resisting arrest. Four officers then proceed to beat Thomas to the ground, then taser him several times.

This story breaks my heart.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 10:54 AM
If fossils are proof of macro evolution, then Sasquatch footprint casts are proof of Bigfoot.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 09:01 AM
Have you heard the story of "The Tale of the Man Who Was Too Lazy to Fail"? If you google it, you might find it.

A man could settle into a life of hard work and retire in his old age. Or you could be so lazy that you are constantly working to improve yourself, so that you can find an occupation that offers the most reward for the least amount of work. "The Tale of the Man Who Was Too Lazy to Fail" is the story of a man who was always working to improve his job skills, so that he could live a life of leisure.

There is hard work and then there is hard work. It's human nature to resign yourself to hard labor, rather than doing the really hard work of self improvement to develop more marketable skills. It's actually easier to spend your life doing construction for a company than it is to put yourself through school and become an architect.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 08:47 AM
Edited by Spidercmb on Wed 05/09/12 08:48 AM
It's just more proof that 5,000 years of civilization doesn't trump millions of years of evolution. Humans are tribal by nature. Our brains can't handle more than 100 close relationships. It's our natural instinct to humiliate and drive out "undesirables", so that our gene pool doesn't get contaminated. If you have never had the desire to ostracize someone, then you are defective, not the other way around. I'm not condoning the behavior, I'm just saying that it's part of human nature and we should understand it as such.

no photo
Wed 05/09/12 08:21 AM
People always make fun of me and laugh at me when I leave the house in a dress, but I don't care what they say, I know I look good.

no photo
Tue 05/08/12 05:39 PM

Everyone is buzzing about "Fifty Shades of Grey" and feedback says it's not only very sexy, but has a great story and relationship between the characters. I haven't read it but probably will...it's good to know what everyone is talking about!

It was originally Twilight fan fiction.

no photo
Tue 05/08/12 11:22 AM

And then there are threads like this one, which presents creation vs evolution as opposites.

I think that depends on the definitions.

Howzit seems to be saying that he believes in some kind of creation, and some kind of evolution.

Many believe in the 'creation' of the universe, and the 'evolution' of life.

That's my point.

Creationism = The origin of life
Evolution = An explanation as to how the complexity of life increased.

They aren't opposites. Even if you are the world's most fervent believer in evolution, that doesn't explain where life came from. Evolution and Creationism are not mutually exclusive.

no photo
Tue 05/08/12 10:58 AM

I just saw it and found it interesting. There are people out there arguing against evolution whose arguments are as sensible as the one being mocked in this graphic.

And there are plenty of people who believe in evolution, but don't know anything about it. And then there are threads like this one, which presents creation vs evolution as opposites. There are billions of stupid, uneducated people in the world. It sometimes seems that one side of the debate is convinced that all of the stupid people are on the other side.

no photo
Tue 05/08/12 10:52 AM
The only "romance" novel I've ever read was "The Romance of Lust".

no photo
Mon 05/07/12 05:50 PM

Now I feel like watching Season 7 again. Actually, I feel like watching the whole thing.

Wait until the 18th to start, I'll watch them with you. :wink:

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next