Community > Posts By > msharmony

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 06:56 PM

agree...msharmony :thumbsup:
this is what is happening with the looting mainly whites wanting to divide the races even more ...

https://www.startribune.com/man-charged-with-arson-of-mpls-third-precinct-station/571115042/?refresh=true

great solution... I have ever heard happen ... that is a great thinker and
someone who deeply knows an cares ... how to get peace for everyone in Camden NJ ...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/disband-police-camden-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

There is a group called Basketball Cop Foundation who are great examples of police out there helping the community with positive interaction and not JUST round them up mentality.

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 06:52 PM

Well maybe we should look at the fact that nearly half of all murders in the United States are committed by black men? Blacks make up about 13% of the US population so about 7% are black males. The thing is most of these murders are of other black men. Between 2011-2013 38.5% arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black. About 33% of the prison population is black while the US consist of about 64% white people and they make up 30% of the population. I'm sure some people think that white people can afford great lawyers and that the court system gives them free passes, however this is not the case. There is more white people living in poverty then black people. So somehow these black guys who fight and/or run from the cops and end up dying should be top priority in the black community? Maybe if people had a little more respect for the law and others there would be a lot fewer deaths of black men in general. I feel sorry for the black people who have worked hard to get out of the hood and make a better life for themselves and family and these thugs are still bringing them down. A start would be if you can't take care of yourself you probably can't take care of a kid, or two,or three either. I'm not a racist or a radical, I'm a realist. The problems that need to be solved run much dealer than the police force. Do the right thing for the community and turn in your neighbors, friends, or your son when they are thugs, turning your eye to it will just lead to pain by more. People who get everything for free have no respect for it. They think if people can get welfare, foodshelf, and toys for tots for free then it's also OK to shoplift or loot stores or rob the local convenience or liquor store. Its time to break the cycle, not the police department.

Your data are flawed. You confused the numbers arrested, convicted and documented with the numbers COMMITTED. More than HALF of the homicides have either race of perp or victim unknown, leaving them out. So what you are left with are extremely incomplete numbers. And if we are going to look at strictly arrests, convictoins, and documents, that would tell us that the overwhelming majority of black people are NOT committing homicides. So?

Also. We have to determine whether we want to talk ratios and percentages, or raw numbers. For example, in raw numbers, whites have about 6 times as many people. That is like saying that a group with 6000 people and 1000 poor is just as bad as a group with ONLY 1000 having 1000 poor.
There have been for decades, at least, a consistent rate of 2x the poverty rate amongst blacks as there are with whites in this country, regardless of the crime rates or if they were high or low. That correlates more with the system, not the individuals. The system that is supposed to work for all citizens, and one that citizens rightly look to hold accountable and improve upon.

And humans in general find many things to be concerned about. They dd not have to choose only one issue, black, white or other. And yes, it should be an issue how the authorities treat citizens, period. It is still innocent until PROVEN guilty.

It should not be happening. And the 'look what you made me do' reasoning does not give authorities a pass with me to kill citizens any more than it gives abusive spouses a pass to knock around their kids or spouse.

There are many things that need to be solved. I hope people will not feel they can only pick ONE to care about. I hope one of those things is the concern of how others ASSUME because of looks and not actions that someone was not doing what they were 'supposed' to be doing and taking the authority to be their judge and executioner for it.

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 06:47 PM
Edited by msharmony on Mon 06/15/20 06:54 PM

Well maybe we should look at the fact that nearly half of all murders in the United States are committed by black men? Blacks make up about 13% of the US population so about 7% are black males. The thing is most of these murders are of other black men. Between 2011-2013 38.5% arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black. About 33% of the prison population is black while the US consist of about 64% white people and they make up 30% of the population. I'm sure some people think that white people can afford great lawyers and that the court system gives them free passes, however this is not the case. There is more white people living in poverty then black people. So somehow these black guys who fight and/or run from the cops and end up dying should be top priority in the black community? Maybe if people had a little more respect for the law and others there would be a lot fewer deaths of black men in general. I feel sorry for the black people who have worked hard to get out of the hood and make a better life for themselves and family and these thugs are still bringing them down. A start would be if you can't take care of yourself you probably can't take care of a kid, or two,or three either. I'm not a racist or a radical, I'm a realist. The problems that need to be solved run much dealer than the police force. Do the right thing for the community and turn in your neighbors, friends, or your son when they are thugs, turning your eye to it will just lead to pain by more. People who get everything for free have no respect for it. They think if people can get welfare, foodshelf, and toys for tots for free then it's also OK to shoplift or loot stores or rob the local convenience or liquor store. Its time to break the cycle, not the police department.

Your data are flawed. You confused the numbers arrested, convicted and documented with the numbers COMMITTED. More than HALF of the homicides have either race of perp or victim unknown, leaving them out. So what you are left with are extremely incomplete numbers. And if we are going to look at strictly arrests, convictoins, and documents, that would tell us that the overwhelming majority of black people are NOT committing homicides. So?

Also. We have to determine whether we want to talk ratios and percentages, or raw numbers. For example, in raw numbers, whites have about 6 times as many people. That is like saying that a group with 6000 people and 1000 poor is just as bad as a group with ONLY 1000 having 1000 poor.

There have been for decades, at least, a consistent rate of 2x the poverty rate amongst blacks as there are with whites in this country, regardless of the crime rates or if they were high or low. That correlates more with the system, not the individuals. The system that is supposed to work for all citizens, and one that citizens rightly look to hold accountable and improve upon.

And humans in general find many things to be concerned about. They dd not have to choose only one issue, black, white or other. And yes, it should be an issue how the authorities treat citizens, period. It is still innocent until PROVEN guilty.

It should not be happening. And the 'look what you made me do' reasoning does not give authorities a pass with me to kill citizens any more than it gives abusive spouses a pass to knock around their kids or spouse.

There are many things that need to be solved. I hope people will not feel they can only pick ONE to care about.

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 06:29 PM

These are interesting times, for sure. And, at least for me, they seem to be shining a light on the capacity for humans to not see a problem until or unless it affects them personally.

For instance, some people are outraged at living in what feels like a police state, being kept from freely walking about without being treated as criminal, yet minorities in many places have lived like that forever. The answer was 'if you have nothing to hide, why is it a problem?" Or "If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about." And now, people with 'nothing to hide' and who are not doing anything 'wrong' are finding it unbearable to be spending a few months out of their lives living this way.

Many people and companies are finding it necessary to have some type of financial relief when, through no real fault of their own, they are found without income. For many others, who also had previously found themselves in need of some financial relief, they were just told they shouldn't have what was 'other peoples money' or they should only get what they 'earn'.

I do not know if karma is a thing. But this does seem a huge karmic wake up call for some folks who were previously so quick to dismiss what others go through. In a way, I actually hope that becomes the silver lining in all of this. Perspective.

I am somewhat more hopeful when I see people from all walks of life coming together over the most recent overzealous police caused death. Some things really are not about merit or deserving, some things are just cultural brainwashing of whose lives have value and whose does not.

Has anyone in these threads found that maybe their sense of empathy has become a bit stronger throughout all of this?

No ... I have not changes ... I have always had empathy for people ...

and with more blacks... seem to be more of a movement now... with pictures and reporting ... is good for the public to see what has happened over the yrs ... I started to get angry long ago ... about shootings an what they do with the knee that kills innocent people ... like its just for fun ... my Gawd they just had two hanging of blacks ...one was young boy too... the united states has been in a divide mode for a few yrs now ...our president has not made that any better either ... and what I have seen from Travon and others just has gotten me even madder ... but you do not have change ...being angry and mad ... solution an compromise are what we need ...

drinker drinker

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 01:55 PM
Edited by msharmony on Mon 06/15/20 01:55 PM

laugh
I find your moral soapbox so amusing!
20 years ago I was on a similar one.
Now I just don't care.
Society is insane.
Still pretty funny tho.
tongue2

IF having opinions of right and wrong makes for a soapbox, I should hope everyone has their own. Perhaps it takes the view from a moral soapbox to judge
other moral soap boxes. Not funny, just real life. I will take the response as a No to my question.

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 12:36 PM
These are interesting times, for sure. And, at least for me, they seem to be shining a light on the capacity for humans to not see a problem until or unless it affects them personally.

For instance, some people are outraged at living in what feels like a police state, being kept from freely walking about without being treated as criminal, yet minorities in many places have lived like that forever. The answer was 'if you have nothing to hide, why is it a problem?" Or "If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about." And now, people with 'nothing to hide' and who are not doing anything 'wrong' are finding it unbearable to be spending a few months out of their lives living this way.

Many people and companies are finding it necessary to have some type of financial relief when, through no real fault of their own, they are found without income. For many others, who also had previously found themselves in need of some financial relief, they were just told they shouldn't have what was 'other peoples money' or they should only get what they 'earn'.

I do not know if karma is a thing. But this does seem a huge karmic wake up call for some folks who were previously so quick to dismiss what others go through. In a way, I actually hope that becomes the silver lining in all of this. Perspective.

I am somewhat more hopeful when I see people from all walks of life coming together over the most recent overzealous police caused death. Some things really are not about merit or deserving, some things are just cultural brainwashing of whose lives have value and whose does not.

Has anyone in these threads found that maybe their sense of empathy has become a bit stronger throughout all of this?

msharmony's photo
Mon 06/15/20 12:25 PM
Edited by msharmony on Mon 06/15/20 12:27 PM

It seems that the new rule for the police is never shoot anyone who isn't an immediate mortal danger to you or someone in the immediate vicinity. What the criminal did in the past or may do in the future is not relevant. Now we need legislation to protect the police from liability when they let someone who resists arrest run away.

For instance the Friday night death in Atlanta. The police could have just given him a summons for DUI and let him go. Had he stumbled into the street and gotten killed by a car, the police would be sued. Had he went home angry and beat up his wife, the police would have been sued. Had he hijacked a car and then killed someone on the road, the police would have been responsible. Why did he resist arrest when it became obvious they were going to take him in and book him? Was there an arrest warrant out for him? Was he not who he claimed to be? It seems that most black men that have been killed by police were either fighting with the officers or running away. What were they trying to hide? Normal people do not resist arrest for most crimes.
I've seen the quietest people you could meet resist arrest before. Doesn't mean they deserve to be killed, or shot though for doing so. People react differently, to things. If what you said here is what you really believe, then you really have a strange way of viewing the World. Compassion and common sense, are sorely lacking in your mindset, believe me!

I have personally not heard of such lawsuits being waged or won either.

People, in the end, get held responsible for their own crimes. The answer is not death to avoid lawsuits that would try to argue differently, especially not one that would argue they should kill a person rather than let them run away and 'possibly' cause a car accident or commit some other crime. AS long as they make reasonable effort to DETAIN, (not kill) there is no liability.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 10:09 PM

The first tweet about the death of Michael Brown was a minute or two after he collapsed on Canfield Dr., just past noon Aug. 9, 2014. Local rapper Emanuel Freeman (@ TheePharaoh) tweeted from inside his home a photo of Browns body face down in the street, an officer standing over him.

12:03 p.m. "Just saw someone die OMFG."

12:03 p.m. "I'm about to hyperventilate."

12:04 p.m. "the police just shot someone dead in the of my crib yo."

And then a minute later, within five minutes of the shooting, the picture of an officer standing over Browns prone body. Twitter users identified the officer as Darren Wilson.

Forty minutes later, at 12:48 p.m., a previously unknown young woman, La Toya Cash, joined the conversation. She posted this tweet as @AyoMissDarkSkin: "Ferguson police just executed an unarmed 17-year-old boy that was walking to the store. Shot him 10 times smh."

The account of the "boy" "executed" walking on the street and shot 10 times established Mike Browns victimhood. smh--Twitter speak for "shaking my head,"--drove home the point, as did a photo showing dozens of police cars in the street.

The tweet was retweeted 3,500 times in the next few hours, researchers found, as word of the shooting passed through the community like an electrical charge. @AyoMissDarkSkin's report received much more attention than the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's first report of the killing several hours later.

As Ben Lyons reports in his social media analysis (pg. 14), the narrative quickly emerging in social media was that Brown had his hands up, was executed or shot in the back. This was picked up in traditional media where references to hands up, shot in the back and executed appeared six times more often in the days after the killing than terms indicating a struggle with the officer.

But that narrative was wrong. As the Justice Department's investigation concluded seven months later, "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" didn't happen. And Brown didn't look like a "gentle giant" in the convenience store video police released.

Few of the media accounts--either social or traditional--included the fact that Brown struggled with Officer Darren Wilson over Wilson's gun--a key factor in Wilson's ultimate exoneration.

Hands Up, Don't Shoot was a myth created in the hot media environment that came alive in the hours after Brown's death. "Eyewitness" accounts on Twitter, cable news and elsewhere turned out to have been based on what people who hadn't seen the shooting had read on Twitter or heard from neighbors.

Although this thread was not about Brown, I would like to clear up two things.

1: Hands up, Don't shoot is not a MYTH. It is merely a saying to signify the fear of being assumed a 'threat' that justifies being shot.

2. Brown's struggle WAS in the reports. However, the shooting did not happen DURING that struggle, making the fact of him being unarmed and still shot after fleeing a relevant concern.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 10:04 PM

Surely you know that the nazis wanted to get rid of all?
Started with the Jews and was progressing to other races?
We were stopping that?
Anyway, it's diversed from the ot.

Yes, I do. I know they successfully killed many in a specific demographic too. That is one way they would be similar to other people who successfully killed whole demographics.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 04:49 PM

What's the difference between anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism?

smokin

In research, it seems like since zionism is support of a Jewish STATE. And Semetic is relating more to certain people and their language, I would say that anti semitism is like bigotry against an entire group, whereas anti zionism is just opposition to there being a Jewish State.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 04:23 PM
Edited by msharmony on Sun 06/14/20 04:25 PM

I'm not talking about protesters...protest all you want. Burn all you want. Loot all you want. Society has deemed it acceptable to count your coup and just take whatever you want. Doesn't affect me so I just don't care. My livelihood isn't being burnt to the ground, my inventory isn't being spread to the winds...if others are too weak to stop them...oh well...I'm sure those evil Hamburger Restaurants, Drug and Liquor stores will make sure to never be involved in racist activities again.

I'm talking about all the mother-killers, father-rapers, store-robbers, drug-users, car-jackers...you know...all those poor innocent college-bound students just out for a walk or looking to bring mom home a quart of milk from the corner store.

Maybe a stern scolding along with a vigorous finger-wagging will set them on the path of the straight and narrow...

IF it is acceptable, why is it against the law? These are silly responses. I will agree that there is a silly minimalist culture that does not feel they should be involved or care as long as it does not (directly) 'affect' them. I kind of feel like those 'but what had he done in his past' people are amongst them. 'It won't happen to me because I follow laws and don't therefore deserve it" is a way of not caring because of a sense of superiority that means they will never be affected.

However, it is against the law to loot and steal. People were not talking about killers and rapers, but unarmed and non violent 'suspects'. It does not help to take the tangent that lumps ALL types together.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 04:18 PM

It is like the same no matter who is on each side. Those who are innocent and just trying to make their way through life pay the biggest price. Conflict, be it ethnic, racial, or religious, can not be resolved until both sides are willing to find a mutually beneficial solution. Killing and mutual destruction benefits no one other than a few warring political leaders.

TRUE

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 11:22 AM

No doubt, the crimes against the Jews under Hitler are non excusable. But does this give Israel the right to treat the people of Palestine like dirt? :cry:

That IS the issue. And why I have no real stand as I do not live there to see if that is what is happening. The accounts I have heard from both sides who do give examples of how horrid each side can be. I mostly feel for the innocents and children being caught in the middle of what are a minority of those actually committing the violence.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 11:11 AM

nice thread. I have heard horror stories about palestine and israel. I feel for them both.

Thanks, yes it is terrible to live under occupation while the world turns a blind eye to the horrors committed upon them by their occupiers..flowers

This is how I see it and why I feel for both sides. I understand Israelis had been persecuted world wide and gone through the terrible nazi ordeal with no place to go. I understand the attempt by the nations to step in and GIVE them someplace, so to speak. I understand, that much like the Native Americans, that 'given' place as already occupied. I would not expect those kicked out of their home and suddenly occupied to take that lying down. I also understand the nationalism of being told a place 'belongs' to you can strip up a protective nature against the 'others' too.

I get that Israelis have come to accept it is 'their' land. I also understand the Palestinians coming to resent more and more that they were kicked out of 'their' home. I get why both sides do what they do, with the exception of killing of children, to either retain what is theirs, or to get back what WAS theirs. I do not know how either side does it. I can only empathize in the situation.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 11:02 AM
Edited by msharmony on Sun 06/14/20 11:04 AM
I love Dave, no punches pulled view about ALL types and all groups of people. This short special was unexpectedly serious for him, but still just Dave, and just brilliant.
https://www.etonline.com/dave-chappelle-addresses-george-floyds-death-in-surprise-netflix-special-846-148042

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 10:59 AM

Congratulations!!

You have officially done what the Left has been trying to do unsuccessfully for now 60 years...finally found a way to reduce black crime...by making it impossible to arrest anyone who doesn't want to be arrested.

You can't shoot 'em. You can't taser 'em. You can't chase them in a vehicle. You can't physically hit or injure them, you can't use pepper spray or tear gas on them...and now you can't restrain or lay hands on them.

I sure hope that "Stern Talking To" plan of action works out well...I'm pretty much at a loss at what to do if that doesn't work.

Another strawman, as most of those things were not said here.

All that was advocated against was treating PEACEFUL protestors and the press with some decorum, instead of treating ALL protestors as if they are violent, and no longer using chokeholds. Their job is to be arresting officers, not judge jury and executioner. Simply having the force of numbers and the equipment and training is enough to convince MOST who 'dont want to be arrested" to comply as normal and wait for their attorney to do the rest. And better training and pay should allow officers to ASSESS the threat of death and DEESCALATE instead of JUST killing in situations where they are the ONLY ones with weapons.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 10:50 AM
nice thread. I have heard horror stories about palestine and israel. I feel for them both.

msharmony's photo
Sun 06/14/20 12:07 AM

Protesters burn down Wendy's in Atlanta where black man was slain by police

(Reuters) - Protesters shut down a major highway in Atlanta on Saturday and set fire to a Wendy's restaurant where a black man was shot by police as he tried to escape arrest, an incident caught on video and sure to fuel more nationwide demonstrations.

The unrest broke out after dark in Atlanta, where earlier in the day Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said she had accepted the prompt resignation of police chief Erika Shields over the death on Friday night of 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks at the Wendy's.

The police department has terminated the officer who allegedly shot and killed Brooks, police spokesman Carlos Campos confirmed late on Saturday. Another officer involved in the incident was put on administrative leave.

Authorities have not yet released the names of the two officers, both of whom were white.

Images on local television showed the restaurant in flames for more than 45 minutes before fire crews arrived to extinguish the blaze, protected by a line of police officers. By that time the building was reduced to charred rubble next to a gas station.

Other demonstrators marched onto Interstate-75, stopping traffic, before police used a line of squad cars to hold them back.

"I do not believe that this was a justified use of deadly force and have called for the immediate termination of the officer," Bottoms said at an afternoon news conference.

Brooks was the father of a young daughter who was celebrating her birthday on Saturday, his lawyers said. His death from a police bullet came after more than two weeks of demonstrations in major cities across the United States in the name of George Floyd, a 46-year-old black man who died on May 25 under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer.

Street protests broke out in Atlanta on Saturday near the scene of the shooting, with more than 100 people calling for the officers to be charged criminally in the case.

Police were called to the Wendy's over reports that Brooks had fallen asleep in the drive-thru line. Officers attempted to take him into custody after he failed a field sobriety test, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Video shot by a bystander captures Brooks struggling with two officers on the ground outside the Wendy's before breaking free and running across the parking lot with what appears to be a police TASER in his hand.

A second videotape from the restaurant's cameras shows Brooks turning as he runs and possibly aiming the TASER at the pursuing officers before one of them fires his gun and Brooks falls to the ground.

Brooks ran the length of about six cars when he turned back toward an officer and pointed what he had in his hand at the policeman, said Vic Reynolds, director of the GBI at a separate press conference.

"At that point, the Atlanta officer reaches down and retrieves his weapon from his holster, discharges it, strikes Mr. Brooks there on the parking lot and he goes down," Reynolds said.

Lawyers representing the family of Brooks told reporters that Atlanta police had no right to use deadly force even if he had fired the TASER, a non-lethal weapon, in their direction.

"You can't shoot somebody unless they are pointing a gun at you," attorney Chris Stewart said.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard, Jr., said in an emailed statement that his office "has already launched an intense, independent investigation of the incident" while it awaits the findings of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Bottoms said Shields, a white woman appointed chief in December 2016, would be replaced by deputy chief Rodney Bryant, a black man who will serve as interim chief.

tragic for everyone involved, especially if shot in the back while running

at least more understandable if they had any legitimate reason to think he was pointing a gun and not a taser ....

msharmony's photo
Sat 06/13/20 09:48 PM
Edited by msharmony on Sat 06/13/20 10:00 PM

At PSX......Wrong! Those Police used a prone position restraint that is known to KILL people. They are trained to reposition. He told them he couldnt breathe. They continued to ignore him and their training. Murderer's.
What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Anyone could have a fake bill and not know. It's happened to me. Maybe he had a past so what he deserved the chance to change.

nope...the cop is guilty so the career criminal must also be...

No. There is no tape or evidence of the 'career' criminal committing any crime. Being claustrophobic is not a crime. Passing A 'counterfeit' bill is not even a crime because bills pass hands all the time. They could discern IF The bill is fake and inquire where that person obtained it. IF there is substantial EVIDENCE of the person knowingly passing false bills, THEN a crime can be charged. The law does not expect most people to know what a few counterfeit bills look like when they get them from a legitimate source.

And there is still no capital death worthy offense for counterfeit bills or 'underlying conditions'.

Any normal person they would have been questioned and sent on their way, however Floyd pushed the officer or stumbled into him as he got out of the car. That is assaulting an officer. Just because they hand cuff or detain someone doesn't always mean they are under arrest. Driving under the influence is also a crime, however this call was on a counterfit bill and it was unknown of Floyds drug use when they showed up, these officers were unsure of Floyds medical condition besides what he states thru the process. The two rookies made the initial contact and its not clear what was relayed to the other officers. Floyd falls on the way to the car. Its not clear at this time if this was a way to resist arrest or part of his medical (drug) condition, but he did fight the officers. Its been stated he said he was clostrphobic and having trouble breathing. However I'm not certain how much of this has been proven. There should also be body cam footage and possibly footage from the cop car but that has yet to be seen by the public. When they put Floyd in that position on the ground I assumed he tried to spit on an officer because that is the most common reason for doing so. Floyd relieved himself either voluntarily or involuntarily. Cops don't like when people do that or puke in their car and that could be a factor too. While on the ground Floyd never once said "UNCLE", and anyone with siblings would know to do so. The officers kept him down to wait for the paramedics, there is no proof of the amount of pressure they applied.

There was no justifying factors for pulling this man THROUGH the police cruiser to throw him on his stomach and apply pressure to the back and neck for EIGHT minutes. None.
I am sure some will watch it and continue thinking of all the reasons why this officer and his posse did not behave like cowardly female dogs and privileged penises with God complexes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4i88E-knyA

msharmony's photo
Sat 06/13/20 10:22 AM
Edited by msharmony on Sat 06/13/20 10:24 AM
Nothing in this world is free. Why should any part of a human be 'free'? WE should all have some value on ourselves.

Whoever is the one pursuing should be willing to give something in return to get it, be it time, respect, or whatever.

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 24 25