Community > Posts By > ReadyF0rM0re

no photo
Mon 01/04/10 10:18 PM

It is nice to be back, Have been gone almost a week, By no choice of mine. I recently got the worst Worm (virus) I have had yet.
This one was a stronger Net.sky worm.
Completely took over my computer, had to disconnect the internet and could only start up the computer in safe mode. Was able to save most data before I had to do a complete hard drive format and reinstall of the factory original programs, then reinstall 5 years worth of programs.. what a nightmare !! reinstall 83 windows updates and 40+ programs.hours and hours.
got the worm from watching movies online.
I have watched movies online for years, never had a problem till now.
Warning.. it can just as easily happen to you!
If you get an immediate indication of computer problems, security warnings everywhere that you cant close, first thing..pull the internet plug immediately, DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!! do a system restore to an earlier time, then restart.

here is what is said on some sites about this worm: Worm.NetSky Description
Worm.NetSky is a nasty worm that distributes itself through email. Once installed, Worm.NetSky will add itself to the Windows registry, ensuring that it loads each time you boot Windows. Worm.NetSky is capable to email itself as an attachment to any email addresses that it can locate on your machine. Worm.NetSky will also open up a backdoor on your PC allowing remote attackers to import and install additional malware to your system. This worm is highly dangerous and should be removed with no delay.

In over 10 years of computing, I have always been able to fix it, not this time till I did a recovery, This is the worst one I have ever had. Be safe.
Create a recovery tools disk and a system recovery disk *right now*
THEY MAY BE WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD!!!

Ok well here we go again LOL..
Worms are transmitted through internet connections but, they can be LAN transmitted as well, meaning if you were at a hotel and were on their unsecured wifi, their is a strong possibility you got infected from another machine on the network. They use VLANS which will allow you access to the net, but on a separate space than their machines, which is a good thing for them, but it does nothing to protect you against other machines on the LAN you are connected to, other guests.
As for doing a system restore, This "may" work, and i say this "loosely" System restores are usually the first place a viral infection will attack. This means your "restore" will most likely be infected by the original infection.

If you get infected,
1. Disconnect any kind of internet connection, wired or wireless, so that your machine can no longer be infected.
2. Use another machine to download Malwarebytes, and install it without updating it on your infected machine.. Use a CD to install it, dont use a Thumb, Flash drive... You will just infect the thumb drive.
3. Reboot until clean, run in safe mode if you see the same infection come up more then once.

DONT USE: "unless you are a more savy computer person"
Spybot SD, this is because this AV will change your Host file and will cause issues when online if you use the host file for connections. Most people dont know that.. If you have used it, go to your host file and remove the crap it adds.

As for the MAC user..
Yeah their are viruses for the MAC, and they make AV for the MAC for that reason.. Go here and read..
http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/tp/macvirusfaqs.htm

Also your Worm... Easy as can be to remove.. Their is even a run once tool to remove it..

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/global/removal_tool/threat_writeups/FxNetsky.exe.

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
"Have a question, ask on my Topics site"

reread above, What I had previously written.
Wouldn't let me run any programs.. even in safe more.
All I could do was a complete restore from disc.
And again, It was not the old net.sky worm. was a newer, much stronger version.

So please tell us how a run once program would help.. when you are completely down and it won't let ya run anything??

But as I said, The recovery disc did get rid of it, because I could start directly off of the disc.

Easy killer..
The Worm which will not let you run any programs is due to it modifying the registry in such a way that it takes ownership..
The easiest way is to run the PC in VGA mode, which you can due by pressing F8 on your keyboard during post.
If not, the more complex way is to boot your machine normally, and run all your programs by using the command prompt..
you wont be able to run the command prompt unless you type the path to it in the RUN command box, once you do that you can either right click the shortcut and drag and drop it in the command prompt box, but you will need to quote it out, or you can just type out the path..

no photo
Sun 01/03/10 05:16 PM
Edited by ReadyF0rM0re on Sun 01/03/10 05:17 PM

It is nice to be back, Have been gone almost a week, By no choice of mine. I recently got the worst Worm (virus) I have had yet.
This one was a stronger Net.sky worm.
Completely took over my computer, had to disconnect the internet and could only start up the computer in safe mode. Was able to save most data before I had to do a complete hard drive format and reinstall of the factory original programs, then reinstall 5 years worth of programs.. what a nightmare !! reinstall 83 windows updates and 40+ programs.hours and hours.
got the worm from watching movies online.
I have watched movies online for years, never had a problem till now.
Warning.. it can just as easily happen to you!
If you get an immediate indication of computer problems, security warnings everywhere that you cant close, first thing..pull the internet plug immediately, DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!! do a system restore to an earlier time, then restart.

here is what is said on some sites about this worm: Worm.NetSky Description
Worm.NetSky is a nasty worm that distributes itself through email. Once installed, Worm.NetSky will add itself to the Windows registry, ensuring that it loads each time you boot Windows. Worm.NetSky is capable to email itself as an attachment to any email addresses that it can locate on your machine. Worm.NetSky will also open up a backdoor on your PC allowing remote attackers to import and install additional malware to your system. This worm is highly dangerous and should be removed with no delay.

In over 10 years of computing, I have always been able to fix it, not this time till I did a recovery, This is the worst one I have ever had. Be safe.
Create a recovery tools disk and a system recovery disk *right now*
THEY MAY BE WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD!!!

Ok well here we go again LOL..
Worms are transmitted through internet connections but, they can be LAN transmitted as well, meaning if you were at a hotel and were on their unsecured wifi, their is a strong possibility you got infected from another machine on the network. They use VLANS which will allow you access to the net, but on a separate space than their machines, which is a good thing for them, but it does nothing to protect you against other machines on the LAN you are connected to, other guests.
As for doing a system restore, This "may" work, and i say this "loosely" System restores are usually the first place a viral infection will attack. This means your "restore" will most likely be infected by the original infection.

If you get infected,
1. Disconnect any kind of internet connection, wired or wireless, so that your machine can no longer be infected.
2. Use another machine to download Malwarebytes, and install it without updating it on your infected machine.. Use a CD to install it, dont use a Thumb, Flash drive... You will just infect the thumb drive.
3. Reboot until clean, run in safe mode if you see the same infection come up more then once.

DONT USE: "unless you are a more savy computer person"
Spybot SD, this is because this AV will change your Host file and will cause issues when online if you use the host file for connections. Most people dont know that.. If you have used it, go to your host file and remove the crap it adds.

As for the MAC user..
Yeah their are viruses for the MAC, and they make AV for the MAC for that reason.. Go here and read..
http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/tp/macvirusfaqs.htm

Also your Worm... Easy as can be to remove.. Their is even a run once tool to remove it..

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/global/removal_tool/threat_writeups/FxNetsky.exe.

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
"Have a question, ask on my Topics site"

no photo
Sun 01/03/10 04:54 PM

Don't even think of getting a Toshiba satellite with Windows 7 !! To date there isn't much in the way of updates and support for Windows 7. Every now and again you lose the built-in camera and config free utillities.

Windows 7 sucks..
All windows 7 is, is windows server 2k8 without the server part added on to it, which fyi you can take your windows vista machine and make it windows 7 as they are identical as for your core OS.. Its a scam as Microsoft rushed it out, and they didn't wait for hardware costs to come down.. I run a Toshiba, and have had vista, 7, xp, 2k, 98se, and Linux on it, hell it runs Apple OSX if you want it too. The issue is that the satellite did not come with the X1270 ATI card, until late last year, which will not support DirectX11 drivers correctly, which Guess what, neither will the HP, Dell, or Gateways of the same age.. They make Cracked software from the vendors to allow you to run 7 without the visuals, which you can run on your toshiba too.. You can get the drivers on HP, Dell, or compaq's website.. As for the camera not working every now and then, well thats another issue, Nothing to do with Toshiba, it is actually an issue with windows 7. Windows 7 firewall will block the unsigned drivers from any provider....
Go to your security settings in the firewall and allow the camera to work..

Im a Microsoft Certified Engineer
And i HATE windows 7

no photo
Sun 01/03/10 04:40 PM

I am shopping for a new laptop and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good one. Thanks!! happy

Depends what you are going to use it for?
Do you want something small?, Medium, or large screen mobile desktop?
I am Microsoft certified, A+ Certified... That said..

You will get exactly the same thing from Compaq, HP, Dell, Acer, Gateway, Emachine, Apple, Toshiba, Sony, IBM, and Fuji.

They all use the same intel processor, or the same AMD processor. Dell has better support, as i have worked with them all.. IBM might be the worst.. Apple has the best support overall but they are really expensive and all you are getting is the same machine as the rest with white plastic.. "does white plastic cost that much to make?"

I own a 12 year old Dell laptop, which still works, has never been fixed, and yes the battery still works..
I also have an HP laptop 5 years old, the LCD is dead, the expansion port sucks, it causes the machine to die randomly due to a grounding issue, and the battery is shot.. HP to me is crap, but then i wont buy anything from a company who fired all of their US based employee's before Xmas to save on build costs this year..
I also have toshiba, which was the cheapest new machine i ever bought, at 650 bucks.. Its fast quiet and small...
Ultimately i would try to get anything you can with windows XP on it.. windows 7 sucks.. Windows vista is horrible.. If you can get XP you can save alot of money, since you wont need more then 2gb of ram or anything screeming fast for a video card..

If you get 7 or Vista be prepared to shell out over a grand for anything that will boot a year from now.. without having to do 6 month rebuilds..

no photo
Sun 01/03/10 04:26 PM
Edited by ReadyF0rM0re on Sun 01/03/10 04:27 PM
I cant remember the name but i play it every now and then (nexius)... the Xbox is really much better for this.. Unless someone can tell me how to do this? ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0THVy1e7A )then i would totally be interested in playing more games on it.. I tried the install found and unpacked all the drivers, got it to see the Wii-mote but i cant get the reader to work correctly.. I have been trying to find someone who has gotten this to work but no luck yet...

no photo
Fri 01/01/10 10:03 PM

Yeah, I got a good deal on an USB 500 gb external hard drive which requires XP atleast to run. So I look at the file system and it already converted to NTFS just like any other hard drive that Windows 'sees'. I was wanting to collect Linux operating system to try out, I was wondering if this might be a problem since this is a Seagate Expansion External Drive. I thought it was a good value since it was $50.00.:smile:

Ubuntu sees all NTFS drives anyway, I mean I got 3 of them (internal HDs), and each of them having a different OS on it (Win 7, WinXP, WinVista)

All 3 shows up just fine in Ubuntu (and I tried Opensuse also) and I play off my music folders after i mount them. And mounting is pretty much just a double click.

So I don't see no problem your linux seeing the NTFS external drive and if someway it's still empty you can always reformat it to FAT32 if you want to, especially if you aren't gonna be using Win OS-es.

I run Linux at work now, they all downgraded from XP to windows 7, so i installed Ubuntu..
So far so good, even got it on the MS domain..
Use Samba for the file shares if needed..
Or i use the Network share thing in the Ubuntu OS to see the shares on the Network.
I use Wine to run Office 2k3 so i have outlook..
And have installed XP on a VM so i can use that if need be...
I am a MICROSOFT CERTIFIED SYSTEM ENGINEER... and Windows 7 Blows!
God i love ubuntu...

To Rainbow,
If your going to run Linux, why not just burn your ISO then install.. lastly format the drive to be Linux specific?

no photo
Fri 01/01/10 09:55 PM

update to win 7 if you own a toshiba you need to get your win 7 from them they have already updated all the drivers to make your computer work with win 7 other wise you have to go manually load them from the toshiba web sight

I just upgraded to windows XP.... I have a slew of machines, and still hate the vista-7 movement... I support the vista or 7 machines though work, but i dont think i will ever install it.. Its just way too slow.. vista takes about 2gb of memory to just run.. 7 is about 1.5gb to run... XP i can run on 128mb smoothly.. Hell ubuntu i can run at 64mb of ram..

no photo
Fri 01/01/10 09:48 PM

Unfortunately I do not play much video games I play real sports or go out from time to time. I do not know the wii system well enough to help you.

wow, such a manly thing to say.

Anyway, I've never done linux on a wii, but I have done it on xbox along with a friend (though I have no idea why he did it). Are you saying that you can use the wiimote as the pointing device in ubuntu? because that would be awesome.

Yeah, i have seen it done, like with using the mote on ubuntu and playing half-life and counter strike..
It looks sick.. But i have yet to get it working..
Once i figure it out, ill post a How-To on what you will need as well as how to do it..

why would someone wanna play counterstrike with a wii mote? there isn't a better control than the keyboard/mouse combo for 1st person shooters.

Agree,
But it would be cool to get to work either way...

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 11:32 AM

Unfortunately I do not play much video games I play real sports or go out from time to time. I do not know the wii system well enough to help you.

wow, such a manly thing to say.

Anyway, I've never done linux on a wii, but I have done it on xbox along with a friend (though I have no idea why he did it). Are you saying that you can use the wiimote as the pointing device in ubuntu? because that would be awesome.

Yeah, i have seen it done, like with using the mote on ubuntu and playing half-life and counter strike..
It looks sick.. But i have yet to get it working..
Once i figure it out, ill post a How-To on what you will need as well as how to do it..

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 11:30 AM

the only problem I've had with VMware is that the really intensive programs do not like it. Photoshop used to screw wine over royally running ubuntu, fedora, or arch - it didn't matter. It'll probably have a 500GB hard drive so I'll just dual boot. Actually, I'm considering removing the superdrive when I get it and installing a second hard drive. That way I can have a Mac drive and a windows/ubuntu drive. Seems pretty straightforward to be honest other than the bootloader part but it sounds to me that I can go from the apple loader and chainload the windows bootloader so I can select windows or ubuntu from that screen and it'll be no sweat.

Then again, for me, it's always easier said than done and I'm more of a database/networking kind of guy with some web design thrown in over software and programming.

Andrew,
their is a huge Mac following out their which i am sure their is a forum somewhere as to how to do this properly..

I handle most of the server side, desktop side, with a hint of Networks and security.. So anything on that end i can help with.. Feel free to let me know..

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 09:51 AM

Well thanks for that... It was very helpful

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 08:02 AM

shut me up, that rocks!.... uhmmm, I HAVE to try this out....!!

If you want the info i have on it, as far as package names and locations as to where to get them let me know and ill share the info.. Just if you get it to work, your gonna have to share what the hell i missed LOL..

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 07:21 AM

Interesting...

I don't see how it would work without the sensor bar....

From what i can tell all the sensor bar is, is a mirror with a Bluetooth receiver in each side.. I could be wrong, but i know it works since i have seen this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0THVy1e7A

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 07:18 AM

Any of you played it or playing it? I played it when it came out, now I am almost craving to play it again, but then it's kinda addictive like a drug and I won't do nothing else but keep playing it. ohwell

I thought Oblivion and Fable 2 were better..

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 07:17 AM
Anyone out their successfully get the Wii mote to work with your Linux machine? I have attempted this a few times now, and i must be missing something. I can install the packages for the Wii-Mote and i can see the Wii-Mote but i cannot use it as a pointing device to play games with. I know this is possible but i am uncertain what i am missing...
I have the Bluetooth adapter, and also have the packages compiled correctly, however do i need the sensor bar? or is their a way i can make a make-shift one to use?

Any help would be great...

Thanks..

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 07:01 AM

GSM is the 2G technology used by AT&T/Cingular and others. It has all but been replaced in the last couple years.

Coming from a verizon motorola smartphone to an iPhone on AT&T and then breaking that and going to a Blackberry 9000 on AT&T. I wish I had been on AT&T with a blackberry the whole time. The iPhone was nice and the apps are killer - the whole thing was so nicely integrated, but there was always something lacking in the day-to-day stuff I use like the planner and contacts folder that the blackberry is perfect on.

not to mention you can tether a blackberry right off and you have to hack the iPhone to do so. I get internet on my laptop all over...

The one thing I love about AT&T I never realized was the case until my buddy was confused how I looked up yellowpages while on the phone with my mom was that Verizon cannot simultaneously do data and voice. AT&T can. And while AT&T has severely spotty 3G coverage, it's the fastest when you get it and AT&T actually has 2.5G networks called their edge network that is just as fast as Verizon's 3G so coverage is not an issue. I also have data coverage far more than my girlfriend with her verizon phone though her voice range seems to be better.

I'd say go AT&T. You may not need the blackberry or anything, but data on at&t is far better than it ever was on Verizon for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself..

no photo
Thu 12/10/09 06:58 AM

The crashing, blue screens and black screens of death you're describing sounds like it may be faulty hardware, or more likely, faulty hardware drivers. I would start by updating your video driver direct from ATI, Nvidia, Intel, or whatever. Could be some software you loaded after the fact too.

I've worked on a hundred Windows 7 machines already and have not come across the stability issues you're describing. If it were me, I'd try again with a fresh install & go from there

Thing is it's not hardware because I never had these issues on XP. Drivers are unlikely because I've downloaded every one from the manufacturer just to be sure and the fact I have no idea which one threw the BSOD.

I dunno if the x86 version is different or something, but either way, I'm going back to xp for a while or just wait and try the x64 architecture on the mac in a few months. maybe the x64 is more stable.

Wish you the best of luck, in my past experience with x64 architecture on the desktop side, i have always had issues with programs not supporting the x64 installation paths, i know they kind of fixed this in windows 7, but it sounds a little flakey still..

With the Mac, if i were you i would just use ESX-I and install virtual images.. I know mac works fairly well with ESX-I.

no photo
Wed 12/09/09 01:02 PM

Many years ago I signed up for data service to a mobile device with Verizon. At the time, verizon had the best network, and there were only a very few companies providing this service.

Whats are my options, today? Anyone out there have a data service plan from someone other than the main carriers (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel
AT&T, T-Mobile) ?

How about Boost or Cricket and such?

If you have a GSM handset, can you shop among data service providers as easily as you can shop among voice service providers?

Really depends on the location, and what you need it for, and what kind of device you are looking for?
I have used them all,
Verizon
T-Mobile
Att
Sprint/Nextel

I have tried them all as i supported an international based company that needed the devices for data, and also needed the best coverage..

OK so Verizon is Just USA, you will not get service unless you pay for world service with verizon...
Verizon data is only on the device, all of the others will allow you to use your device as a modem, so if you have a netbook you can connect to the internet through your device. ATT will also allow you to use the device as your modem, and talk on it as a phone as well, which is a really great feature..
Verizon has the best service on the coasts... NYC, CA, Boston.. but in the middle of the country, you really have spotty at best service.. I didnt have service at all in Ky, and had to find and use a pay phone..
T-mobile depending on the plan will allow free roaming, which makes it pretty good, since you can run on ATT's network and Sprints network at different locations in the states.. In London they have the best service i have seen in a US based phone.
ATT although not always 3G always has service, their are spotty locations that are usually within walking distance of in service out of service, they also have some of the best phones, The Nokia phones, although not the flashiest have been about the best ones for service i have ever used. Where as the motorola Que phone which looks the same as some of the older Nokia Data phones had about the worst service out their..
Sprint has interesting service, in that either you have full service or you have no service.. Their phones are a combination of the Tmobile and the Att phones. Sprint seems to work real well in area's where you wont have any other providers available, also have the best customer support i have dealt with.. Good to the point that i lost service for a week while in New mexico, and they credited me back the amount for the week.
Alltell wireless runs on ATT's network
Boost runs on Sprints network

Hope this gives you something to go on...

NOTE: if you have phone you have Data service, if you have no phone service you will have no data service... Unless you have ATT since they use two radio's to connect...

no photo
Wed 12/09/09 11:54 AM

Anyone here play The Beatles Rock Band game? I've played Guitar Hero a bit & thought it was fun (I'm pretty damm good at it too!) This looks killer cause I grew up on the Beatles & love their music. I'm so getting this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBDOolcs9g

Id wait on it, Ambuh_massacre is correct it is way short... It is a lot of fun though, although it isn't as challenging as say metallica which i thought was more fun, mostly because their is a music editor in it, which will allow you to create tracks and download user created tracks for free.. Or it could be that i just like metal more..

no photo
Wed 12/09/09 11:49 AM

I was a tester for both Vista and Win 7.

for Vista ~ and I had a fairly brand new system, all put together by me but at that time it was top of the line..talking about 3 gigs of memory..core 2 quad Intel and 300 dollar graphics card and Audigy 4 XiFi sound card...

So I had (still have)3 hard drives set up and one was dedicated only for Vista..and from the first go..it was crap.

Nothing was recognized..no sound..crap graphics..but of course beta versions don't have a good support and so on, but I was still dissatisfied with the amount of hard drive space it uses and the amount of time it accesses and the running services tripled since XP for not much of reason at all..

I used it like maybe 3 times a week I booted into..but I already wrote back to Bill Gates Empire that they are taking the wroooong way with this..it's crap..and not because of the hardware support, but just way up from the foundation.the source code, the core engine sux balls.....you will be outmatched by Linux or OSX if you don't watch it..keep making this overloaded, over bloated, heavy overhead clunker speed Vista.

So anyway, I also tested Win 7. My first impression was like...crap..this can't be it.these people are kidding me..they gave me the wrong beta or something...this is pretty much a stripped down version of Vista, and it does run faster, but still..it's a stripped down Vista with some additions..to make it more appealing and more hardware support.
Used it for a year...I said "It is better than Vista, yes. " Is it an improvement?
Security - yes.. more idiot proof - yes. better hardware support - yes. Better software support - NO. I can't even get adobe acrobat work right sometimes and my Sony Vegas video editor just stops working on me..don't know why..but it has to do with incompatibility with Win7..even though it worked in Vista..but still not as good as XP.

So is Win7 better than Vista? Yes. Better than XP..at some places.

The Main point is:

going from xp to vista and to win7 is like 3 steps backward, and then 1 step forward.

Basically Micro$oft went the wrong direction after XP...why do they always try to copy OSX, like they did with Win95..I don't know, no original ideas...Win7 is a strange mix of Vista and Linux wannabe..but only on the outside....didn't really correct the change beside patched the Vista up and we basically do not have a new operating system, but a repaired Vista.

We are finally have arrived to 2006 (in 2009!!) with Win7 after being lost in a weird dimension with Vista.

We are still behind 3 years...where we should be by now..all that wasted money on these mediocre operating systems.. hell I'm still saying that MS-DOS was the best and fastest one out there.

I figure, some understand what I'm saying...others might not.

And yes I got them all free...they were beta, but to tell you the truth..having Vista now..it's only inches better than the Beta I tested and seeing the full release Win7 and comparing it to what I tested a year ago, it's the same damn thing. Basically they improved the hardware support (but that's NOT for microsoft's credit) and everything else stayed the same in it (like the Beta versions, which are supposed to be skeletons/unfinished products). I'm not kidding.

I just don't understand why they didn't take windows Server 2008 and strip it down to make windows 7? Windows server 08 is very good... Runs on everything, has fairly good driver support... But windows vista and windows 7 sucks.. I Run XP, Vista, 7, Ubuntu, 2k8 Server, and 2000 Advanced server. All on their own hard drives.. I use XP on my laptop, and Ubuntu on my desktop.. Windows 7 and Vista really are just taking space on two hard drives i have yet to format.
I tested Windows 7, and was at the Microsoft Convention in Vegas when i got the copy. The beta was good, better then the RC and better then what is out now. Beta was lightweight and with some modifications i got most of my XP software to run. But the Beta public release, and the RC just got worse and worse...
At this point i take a stand against moving my clients to windows 7 from XP, and have a few builds of Ubuntu using Wine that are on site at certain locations, after showing end users how it works, they are happier using it, then the same ones who have tried windows 7.
Ultimately this tells me that Microsoft is going to loose major clients from their business sales.. Because hell, if i have to teach an entire dept how to use an OS, it should be Linux... Free, easy, Virus free and not MAC.. because honestly no offense to anyone who uses it, But your paying major bank for a dell in white plastic with a upscale version of linux... Hell they make the front end for linux, that clones the mac.. and yes.. still free..

As for the people who buy an OS based on the cool visuals i think you should check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7