Community > Posts By > GreenEyes48

GreenEyes48's photo
Tue 03/05/13 05:59 AM
It seems like the basis of this thread was to put women down and label them "blabbermouths." And "nags" too I guess..It's more of a place to "vent" versus trying to problem-solve and gain some depth and understanding. (Even though some posters have tried to offer insights.)...And so be it! Everyone is entitled to his or her views. But I don't like to get into "gender-bashing" myself so I'll just move along!

GreenEyes48's photo
Tue 03/05/13 05:45 AM
Intelligent...Funny...Caring.

GreenEyes48's photo
Tue 03/05/13 05:39 AM
I think we form our views about love when we're young based on what we experience in our families...Most of the time both my parents were great! (Caring and level-headed and even playful at times.)...But every so often my Dad had rage-attacks and "turned mean."...Even as a child I refused to label my Dad's "episodes" as love. I knew something must be wrong with him...Later I realized that he had a tendency to "bottle-up" his feelings until he couldn't contain them anymore and "erupted" and "exploded" like a "madman."...I didn't want to make excuses for my Dad's behavior or call it love. He had a lot of problems that he didn't deal with or address. (At all.)...I know some kids copy and adopt the behavior of their abusers (or their abused parent) and consider it all normal. But I didn't want to do this...I wanted to be clear in my mind what constitutes love and what type of behavior is the opposite of love. (And actually abuse.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 01:08 PM

I think we often confuse our WANTS with NEEDS. What I take from my own observations are that people who prescribe to the “love the one your with” mentality feel that they NEED romantic love and in the absence of romantic love, substitute with doses of physical affection.

On the other hand, people who recognize romantic love as a WANT or desire will tend to wait for what they WANT. Some itemize the qualities their ideal romantic love partner will possess, while others simply look for the romantic feeling they desire.

No matter which thought you prescribe to, we are all, at the base, very much the same. We all WANT to be loved romantically and have someone to WANT and accept the love we have to offer another.

Therefore, coming back to the question, I can’t take being too “picky” as a put down. If anything it’s a lift up/compliment. It means I won’t settle for anything less than the type of respect and romantic love from a partner than I deserve.

A certain amount of compatibility is definitely important. No matter how amazing the sex may be, it will never be enough to bridge between two opposite thinking people. If you cannot communicate with one another or you disagree on every subject, your relationship will be forever fought on the battleground and who wants that?

On the opposite end of the spectrum, total compatibility would be like having a relationship with your twin. In this relationship there is little need to communicate at all. Who wants that? I believe there has to be a balance of compatibility that keeps minds from clashing but communication flowing.

Regarding realistic expectations...

...if you want a super model, for the sake of her being a super model, then you will never get to really know her...this is not a REALationship.

If you want a prince, for the sake of him being a prince, you will never get to really know him...this is not a REALationship.

There is nothing REAListic in a relationship that is forged from anything but a true and very personal knowlege and acceptance; reciprocally so.

A disclaimer for the spell mongers in attendance:
No words were harmed in the writing of this posting, but were temporarily misspelled for emphasis only.

Good post...It's all about "being real." I agree with you. You covered all the "bases!"

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 12:15 PM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Mon 03/04/13 12:36 PM

People who have a healthy ego seem to "bounce back" easier when it comes to handling rejection and disappointments in life..They may "cry in their beer" and "get down" for awhile. (And process their feelings and "nurse" their "wounds" etc.)...But life's "upsets" don't permanently "damage them" or keep them "down" forever. (Compared to someone who has a fragile ego.)

I totally agree with you Claire!...Healthy egos feel no need to place blame or broadcast every detail of their relationship problems...They are more interested in looking inward to identify and correct their part in the rejection...
I totally agree with you about "looking inward" and trying to learn from our mistakes in life...Back in the 80's I had a singles' publication. One of our regular writers (a psychologist) wrote an article called: "Handling Rejection."...He encouraged our readers to take some tips from successful salespeople when it comes to rejection (And having doors slammed in their faces.)..Successful salepeople don't sit around and mope and sulk and pout and feel sorry for themselves just because they hear a lot of "no's."...They keep picking themselves up time after time and knock on more doors...And this is why they earn high sales! They refuse to give-up or "drown" in self-pity! They've taught themselves how to handle rejection and don't take everything "personally."...P/S: He also pointed out that successful salespeople routinely examine their "approach" and try to "sharpen" their skills at every point along the way.

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 11:41 AM

I am VERY picky, that's why I'm with Leigh :wink:
So sweet! Good for you! I'm glad you and Leigh found each other.

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 07:38 AM

For me, It takes a while. I'm not one to fall a$$ over tea kettle very easy. I think I got some issues. I don't trust very easy. It takes some time to win my trust. Also, I've got issues with how the great majority seem to want to move to fast. I'm not the type that takes to well to pushy people.Maybe it's just me, I seem to come across women that want to try to lead me around by the nose. I don't take to well to that either. I don't take to well to women who want to try to tell me what I am/am not going to do. I seem to find a lot of women that for some reason unknown to me, Have just got to see if they can get away with trying to boss me around. They usually find out as the door knob is hitting them in the rump, Doesn't work with me. I've even had more than one to try to use sex to get there way with me. Doesn't work either. I think I am going to wind up alone.
I don't like pushy or controlling people either...Most people put their "best foot forward" in the early stages. So it can take awhile to see "all sides" to someone...I don't like to rush or "be rushed" either. No way!

I've thought about it some. Sometimes I think that the ones I keep coming across are desperate. They are afraid to be alone. That desperation makes them try to hard. Makes them try to grab whatever they think they can get. Here in not to long I will be 51. I've been single most of my life. I was only married for six years. I guess I'm used to being alone. So, When I come across someone who tries to hard to get me, They really wind up pushing me away.

I think this is the main reason I don't fall in love very easy. They try to hard, They push to hard and it comes off looking like desperation. Desperation runs me off. When you are dealing with a man or a woman that has been alone as long as I have, You have to be careful with them. You have to go at them the right way. They are use to being alone. They may even like it that way. No one to answer to but yourself, Come and go as you please, You're free as a bird. If you want a person like that to fall in love you, Well, Like I say, You gotta go at them the right way.
I can relate...I keep my guard up with pushy and "needy" people because it seems like they are after "most anyone." (To fill the void in their life.)...How can I trust that they really want me?.. Their desire for love (and a mate) seems self-serving and narcissistic..It's about what someone can "do" for them...I can't "rescue" someone from a boring life and make all their dreams come true. (Because I'm not a "miracle worker!")...It's different when people take responsibility for themselves and their own happiness and welfare. They aren't looking for a "savior."...Anyway this is why I take my time when it comes to the notion of "falling in love!" Don't want to step in any field mines or "booby traps" along the way!

hi Greeneyes, I like how you put it.. pushy and needy people who are after most anyone... but do you think it's just out of boredom, and not out of financial or material gain, especially in today's downward spiraling economy?
I'd rather be broke and poor and "all alone" than be with the "wrong person!"...Sure I get lonely at times and I miss the love and companionship I had for nearly 30 years with my husband...But I'm a survivor and I know how to amuse myself and take care of myself and I'm okay without a mate right now...Don't want to rush into someone's "arms" just to avoid being alone or poor or bored or whatever...But I won't push a man who seems "right" for me "away" if a man like this pops-up in my life (again) at some point down the road!

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 07:18 AM
Great posts!...I don't grab the first pair of shoes I see in a store and rush out...I like to take my time and look for my own "style" when it comes to clothes or cars or homes or anything in life. (Including dates and mates!)...It's not about judging anyone or anything "bad.".. I'm just looking for a "good fit" and a compatible match... I like to be a "smart shopper." (Based on my own needs and preferences and budget etc.).. If people were a little "wiser" when it comes to selecting a mate maybe the divorce rate would go down. This is how I feel anyway...I was selective and it took me 12 years to find a truly compatible mate. (My deceased husband.) But he was definitely worth the "wait!"

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 06:18 AM
It seems like a put-down to call someone "picky" when it comes to dating...But what would happen if we didn't have any preferences at all? Would anyone do?...Don't we have the right to look for someone who seems compatible with us?...But it's probably a good idea to have level-headed (and realistic) expectations versus hoping to marry Miss America or Prince Harry etc..What do you think?

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 05:24 AM
People who have a healthy ego seem to "bounce back" easier when it comes to handling rejection and disappointments in life..They may "cry in their beer" and "get down" for awhile. (And process their feelings and "nurse" their "wounds" etc.)...But life's "upsets" don't permanently "damage them" or keep them "down" forever. (Compared to someone who has a fragile ego.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 05:04 AM

Men talk to share information.

Women talk as a form of social interaction.

Sure about that?

Yes.

May be from your side of the world. On my side, most women(remember not women) talk as a form of nagging and to 'share information'
I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who constantly nagged me or put me "down.".. Or someone who talked "at me" versus "with me."..Some men and women find "common ground" and enjoy talking (and listening) to each other...Sorry you haven't been in relationships like this where you live.

GreenEyes48's photo
Mon 03/04/13 04:24 AM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Mon 03/04/13 04:27 AM

For me, It takes a while. I'm not one to fall a$$ over tea kettle very easy. I think I got some issues. I don't trust very easy. It takes some time to win my trust. Also, I've got issues with how the great majority seem to want to move to fast. I'm not the type that takes to well to pushy people.Maybe it's just me, I seem to come across women that want to try to lead me around by the nose. I don't take to well to that either. I don't take to well to women who want to try to tell me what I am/am not going to do. I seem to find a lot of women that for some reason unknown to me, Have just got to see if they can get away with trying to boss me around. They usually find out as the door knob is hitting them in the rump, Doesn't work with me. I've even had more than one to try to use sex to get there way with me. Doesn't work either. I think I am going to wind up alone.
I don't like pushy or controlling people either...Most people put their "best foot forward" in the early stages. So it can take awhile to see "all sides" to someone...I don't like to rush or "be rushed" either. No way!

I've thought about it some. Sometimes I think that the ones I keep coming across are desperate. They are afraid to be alone. That desperation makes them try to hard. Makes them try to grab whatever they think they can get. Here in not to long I will be 51. I've been single most of my life. I was only married for six years. I guess I'm used to being alone. So, When I come across someone who tries to hard to get me, They really wind up pushing me away.

I think this is the main reason I don't fall in love very easy. They try to hard, They push to hard and it comes off looking like desperation. Desperation runs me off. When you are dealing with a man or a woman that has been alone as long as I have, You have to be careful with them. You have to go at them the right way. They are use to being alone. They may even like it that way. No one to answer to but yourself, Come and go as you please, You're free as a bird. If you want a person like that to fall in love you, Well, Like I say, You gotta go at them the right way.
I can relate...I keep my guard up with pushy and "needy" people because it seems like they are after "most anyone." (To fill the void in their life.)...How can I trust that they really want me?.. Their desire for love (and a mate) seems self-serving and narcissistic..It's about what someone can "do" for them...I can't "rescue" someone from a boring life and make all their dreams come true. (Because I'm not a "miracle worker!")...It's different when people take responsibility for themselves and their own happiness and welfare. They aren't looking for a "savior."...Anyway this is why I take my time when it comes to the notion of "falling in love!" Don't want to step in any field mines or "booby traps" along the way!

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/02/13 09:37 AM
One year my husband felt the two of us should get off by ourselves right before Christmas. (And stay in a fancy suite and really spoil ourselves!)...Everyone was coming to our house for Christmas. (His kids and grandkids and my kids etc.)...We hadn't even finished shopping for gifts yet or food etc...At first it was hard for me to go! But my husband convinced me that we needed some "alone time" off by ourselves before we had to entertain the "whole gang!".. He said that we could work together when we got home and finish all the preparations...So I said "yes" and we had a fun and romantic Christmas vacation for just the two of us...And we got everything done in plenty of time when we got home. (For Christmas dinner with the family.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/02/13 08:28 AM

I don't think anyone likes pushy or controlling people, some are just more willing to be controlled or less able to deal with aggression...In my dating experiences, time constraints or the lack of them were different for each relationship, but the progression was ALWAYS mutually agreed upon....When one or the other starts trying to force things, it's usually the beginning of the end...
Amen! I totally agree with you..I certainly wouldn't want to try to "push" (or guilt-trip) someone into loving me or wanting to be with me...And I don't want to be roped and tied. Or treated like a "hunted-down" and "trapped" animal either...This kind of stuff always backfires in the long run and leads to tons of resentment...Don't you think?

Yes, I do think so...I have a friend who is going through the guilt trip "game" right now...sad2
After my first marriage ended I had no plans to get married right away. I was in my middle 20's and just getting my "bearings."...Then I met a "master manipulator" who pulled out all the "punches" to convince me that I had "feelings" for him...He was a well-respected pillar of the community and longtime business owner. Everyone thought he was a "saint" and super-nice man and "great catch!" (Even my parents felt this way and most of my friends!)...My gut feelings told me not to marry him but he just wouldn't "go away" or leave me alone! He sent me huge bouquets of flowers every Friday at work even though I asked him to stop!...So I looked like a "big meanie" and cold and heartless person to my co-workers for not loving him back...He tried to "get" to my sons by showing-up "as dad" with gifts he knew they wanted...To make a long story short I finally "caved-in" out of guilt and out of exhaustion from trying to fight him off...Our marriage was a disaster. After he "won me" he got bored!...The marriage lasted less than a year and was a "sham." It took me years to recover from having 2 "failed marriages" at such a young age.. Some people just get caught-up in the "chase." Sad!...My "last" husband was the total opposite. He wasn't pushy!

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/02/13 08:01 AM

Why do some women give us hardtime with unnecessary talk about everything?

Have you considered that she might be nervous? I know guys and girls that do that on dates?
Good point...I've had some people even say that they were "chatting away" due to nervousness. And some apologized...Also if there doesn't seem to be much of a 2-way conversation some people may try to fill in the "gaps" and overcompensate by talking non-stop...Have you noticed this? Silence seems to bother them a lot...When my son moved out here he seemed "worried" when my husband and I had moments of silence once in awhile on car trips...He thought we were mad at each other or maybe him or ?...We told him that we like to have a little space once in awhile to sight-see (on our own) and get in touch with our own thoughts and feelings.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/02/13 06:20 AM
It's not just women...My widowed neighbor talks a "mile-a-minute" and so do a few of my other male neighbors...I know they're lonely. (And in need of companionship.) But I try to limit my contact with them because once they start talking it's hard to "break free" and leave.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/02/13 06:10 AM

I don't think anyone likes pushy or controlling people, some are just more willing to be controlled or less able to deal with aggression...In my dating experiences, time constraints or the lack of them were different for each relationship, but the progression was ALWAYS mutually agreed upon....When one or the other starts trying to force things, it's usually the beginning of the end...
Amen! I totally agree with you..I certainly wouldn't want to try to "push" (or guilt-trip) someone into loving me or wanting to be with me...And I don't want to be roped and tied. Or treated like a "hunted-down" and "trapped" animal either...This kind of stuff always backfires in the long run and leads to tons of resentment...Don't you think?

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/02/13 04:50 AM

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/01/13 12:50 PM

I love my friends...,... Ss for a man well that takes a while.
yawn

taking the time to get to know someone & becoming friends is so much easier than being Desperate & rushing into something with your eyes wide Shut! If that makes sense....
Amen! I agree!

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/01/13 12:39 PM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Fri 03/01/13 12:47 PM

It takes me a long, long time to let down my "guard."..

As people age they erect walls to protect themself from being hurt. Yes, young individuals are more naive but they experience love much easier. As people (yes, men and women) age our likelihood goes down because we (men and women) do not trust each other.

The game of love rewards risk-taking with pleasure. Staying single rewards caution with safety. Being too picky is a way of playing it safe to avoid losing again.

As we age we latch onto two protective walls:

1. I can't find someone worthy of my love.
2. I can't find the love that doesn't ask me to risk losing out again.

I saw this in single people of my parents generation as they passed the 50 year mark. Unfortunately, most never experienced true love again. Not trying to sound like Johnny Rain Cloud: just observations of life.
My husband died 2 years ago. We were happily married for 24 years and together for 30 years...My husband and I were "just friends" and "best buddies" for 2 whole years before love entered the picture. (By mutual consent!)...He never "came on to me" or pushed for "more" and I didn't either...He was busy "finding himself" after his first marriage ended. And I was pursuing my goals and dreams too...We were happy and content being friends..Neither one of us thought that we'd fall in love someday but we did!.. And our love added some extra "frosting" to our close and solid friendship...I'm just not one to leap or rush into anything or "be rushed." And my husband was the same way...But we didn't have to "force" anything on each other. Or "get pushy!"...We gained trust in each other over a period of time and felt secure in our friendship and later in "our love" too!

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 24 25