Community > Posts By > TelephoneMan

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 10:12 AM

It has nothing to do with money spent.

It is about stakeholders that are affected.

Why do the companies care about the stakeholders if it won't hurt them financially?

The question I am answering is the one above asking who gets to decide which policies etc...

It isn't about who has the most money to complain... often it is the poorest people in the stakeholder chain who need the most protection.

It is about the stakeholders who band together to create the awareness.

Where you affect the business is hitting them in the wallet... which is exactly one of the only ways to make these companies turn.

Bad press changes profits.

A change in profits forces the hands of CEOs who are struggling to satisfy investors (the stockholders, not stakeholders)

When profits drop because of bad public image, it forces the management to do something.

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 09:58 AM
It has nothing to do with money spent.

It is about stakeholders that are affected.

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 09:56 AM

who determines what is the public's opinion?

The public that spends the most money.

The stakeholders (not the same as stockholders)

Stakeholders are anybody affected by business decisions.

For one, the anorexic women are stakeholders. As are the therapists that treat them. As are the family's of the anorexic.

Corporate Social Responsibility is the issue, the corporations need to be held accountable by the stakeholders being NEGATIVELY affected by their marketing procedures which air brushes women to be even skinnier than they already are.

The individual corporation can be targeted as a worst-case scenario. For instance in another case study, anti-war protesters often picket and protest in front of Lockheed Martin, the largest weapons manufacturer by revenue in the world.

In another case, when the University of Oregon figured out NIKE was employing sweatshop tactics irresponsibly in their overseas factories, they were held socially responsible by activist groups. It forced NIKE's hand, and they had to change. The bad press associated with public awareness is what did it.

The stakeholders in the NIKE case were the people being mis-treated in the bad working environments in the sweatshop factories in foreign countries. Also, this affected the customers as they are also stakeholders. Did people want to wear shoes made by a company that knowingly hired under-age children and worked them to exhaustion?

There are many issues like this, and the activist groups are also stakeholders.

A stakeholder (again) is anyone affected by a business decision. It can be the people who live on the same block as the business, the employees, the stockholders can be affected, so stockholders can be stakeholders, the buying public is a stakeholder.

(Definition of stakeholder from previous mentioned MGMT-480 course text book)

Or, if you need to see the definition in print, here is one on the web, scroll down, they are in alphabetical order:

http://www.stile.coventry.ac.uk/cbs/staff/beech/BOTM/Glossary.htm

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 08:53 AM
I just took a business ethics class, and this is an example of one of the many ways businesses go overboard trying to strike up the almighty dollar.

And awareness is the best way... or at least one of the best ways.

What needs to be done in the end is a policy change that forces the corporate machine to tilt in favor of public opinion.

Also, holding these corporations accountable for the root causes of these types of social diseases.

Go for it Ruth34611...

... if interested, my text for the course was:

Title: Business & Society: Stakeholder's, Ethics and Public Policy, 12th Edition
Author: Anne T. Lawrence, and James Weber
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Irwin
ISBN-10: 0-07-353017-4
ISBN-13: 978-0-07-353017-8

Here is this exact text book on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Business-Society-Stakeholders-Ethics-Public/dp/0073530174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229014246&sr=1-1

There are dozens of case studies, lists of activists groups, and a LOT of tools you might like to have inside this text book in bringing your issue to the public eye. Also, seeing it through to the change of public policy and corporate policies.

You might find this at a local library, or I am noticing an 11th edition on there used for under $20.

flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 07:58 AM
Edited by TelephoneMan on Thu 12/11/08 08:01 AM

It is a sad commentary on society when you realize that even Jessica Alba is not hot enough to go un-airbrushed.

Check out the before and after pics.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/08/jessica-alba-airbrushed-t_n_149182.html

I think it goes beyond just the terrible effect on women, it is a hideous indication of the vanity of the instigated "Hollywood" beauty scene.

If air-brushing is acceptable, then why not just use digital animation completely to create the type of lewd or near-to-it means necessary for the old adage ... "sex sells" ...

I think the industrial machine rolls over human kind like a steam roller until their is an activist group to stand up against the atrocity.

Its sad, but it seems like that is how it gets done in our modern civilization. The corporations keep rolling for more and bigger bucks at any expense, even at the expense, in the case of air-brushing humans, at the expense of reality.

Of course, air-brushing is nothing new. It has went on for decades in photography.

I remember hearing about it in the 1970s.

Photo techniques have been used to enhance photographs for even longer than that... my mother's senior picture from her class of 1944 is still on top of a cabinet at her house. It was basically a black and white photo, but it was enhanced to make her cheeks reddish blush, and her lipstick is red.

Vanity vanity... there is no new thing under the sun.

This thought will blow the mind's of women everywhere... but just the addition of make-up to your face... it is making you into a phony alteration of something you actually are not on a day to day basis.

In effect, you are "air-brushing" your face with make-up every day.

Whew... remember Tammy Faye Baker from the PTL TV show? Yikes, she had so much paint on that barn that she looked like a circus clown.

I suppose I could throw coloring your hair right in here with air-brushing. How many women AND men color their hair to make it into a phony representation of reality?

But its a lot easier to justify portions of acceptable public behavior when it is to your benefit.

So, could I add that social drinking is actually air-brushing our mental attitudes in public places? Then how does alcoholism fit in, sort of like the Tammy Faye Baker of social drinking?

Drug abuse... even more air-brushing of one's mental attitude.

What is amazing, if you really stand back and analyze the falsification of the human being... is just how much phony stuff actually goes on in the normal every day western culture.

Why are humans convinced to be phonies?

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 07:17 AM
Its is now 10:10am and I want to give testimony of my need being met.

About ten minutes ago, one of my relatives agreed to put my rent on her credit card, so my rent has been paid!!!

I did not expect that she was going to be able to help me, but in faith I asked anyways. It was one of those moments where I sort of was prepared for her to say no, but it was not that way, nearly without hesitation she said yes, and within minutes my rent was paid.

Sometimes it is hard and humbling to ask God for help, but sometimes asking is the only way our needs can be known to people God can use to help us.

Praise the Lord.

In January I became a grad student, and I will receive $2,500 more in financial aid than I did as an undergraduate student. I also have to take less classes (9 credit hours) in order to get full-time allotment for financial aid (undergrad was 12 credits full-time).

Thank you all for praying with me. I am very blessed.

I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his seed begging bread.

Jim

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 01:57 AM
Dear Lord,

I come before you to pray for this situation. Lord, you have always been "Jehovah Jireh" the Lord that provides. You tell us to seek and we shall find, ask and we shall receive. Cleanse my heart from every sin, Lord. Whatever thing this might be, even things I do not remember or understand. Wash me with your blood, Jesus and in your eyes, let me righteous. before you.

More importantly then helping me, Lord, I put my Christian friends here on Mingle before you. Help their families, help their loved ones who do not know you to come to saving knowledge of you. Help my brothers and sisters to be strong in their walk with you. Help them to walk the narrow path, and bind the Enemy who would attempt to deceive folks in walking the wide road to destruction. Loose your Holy Spirit and keep these that you have selected Lord. Help them set their eyes in your Word. By reading, and hearing the scriptures proclaimed, help their faith to increase.

Lord, you know my need before I even ask it. You see my life, and you know I am obedient to you in my walk. Life throws us trials at times but I remain steadfast to concentrate my intent on the cross. Help my life to be a light for you, Lord. You are the God that offers us peace, you tell us you will give us the desires of our heart, you will meet all our needs according to your riches in glory through Christ Jesus. In you I have hope, in your arms, I lay my life. I stand for you, God, and I pray your will be done on Earth as it is in heaven.

You are my God and you are in heaven. To whisper your name is to whisper that which causes my heart to leap and my soul to dance. All I ask is for the things that I need in my daily life. Please forgive me as I am a sinner saved by Grace. I cannot live without you. You, oh Lord, are life. Clear my mind of any people that may have taking up sides against me, and forgive them, Lord. Somehow bless them and bring them to you. I forgive all people how have done something against me, it is my desire to live in peace until you take me home. Steer my life away from temptations and evil, and keep me oh Lord. Keep me by your Spirit. You are my Deliverer.

Though I was young but now am old, I have not seen the righteous forsaken, or His seed begging bread.

So that they will know that You live, Lord. Not for me, for I am nothing, but for your Kingdom and for your Glory. Let my light shine Lord, let me put this flame on a candlestick so that it will light my path, and the path of anyone my light might influence. Set their torches aflame, oh God, and help us to remember to be the salt of the Earth, and to allow our light to so shine before men.

In your name I pray, Jesus.

Amen.

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 01:37 AM
God has always provided for me, and right now I need to ask folks to pray about my financial situation.

I live off of financial aid from the college, and I give my all in my studies. I believe this is my calling (2 Tim. 2:15). December, April and August are my toughest months because they are the end of the semester each time. I get financial aid money only once every 4 months. I have lived like this for 5 years. I am an honors college student, I received an induction into the McNair Scholars program, and I believe God has been with me every step of the way.

I get assistance for food, but right now I do not have any money at all.

My rent was due on the first, and it is still not paid. If it is not paid by 11am today, they will tack on a $188 legal fee to commence the eviction process.

I do not have money for household items. I am out of computer paper, dog food, Diabetes medicine, and other things that are necessities and not frivolities.

I believe in prayer, and I have lived by faith for many years and have saw God do things for me that were remarkable. Perhaps later on in this thread I will testify about some of the many things He has done for me.

Right now I need folks to pray.

Thanks.

TelephoneMan's photo
Thu 12/11/08 01:20 AM

Hmmmm.....

... well, they don't make house calls...

they could had responded in email
but they didnt

This thread is a prayer request, not a place to dump garbage opinions about the Guardian Angels. Go e-mail them and complain on their web site and offer your prayers here, or don't post off-topic... ok?

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 08:10 PM
Her right knee is showing in the right hand pic

It is not in the left hand pic.

Just because it is on the Internet doesn't mean it is true... I would question the credibility of the Huffington Post site... it looks like a cheesy rag like the National Enquirer, etc...

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 07:33 PM
Waits until Isaac is sleeping, lops his head off with a sharp Gerber knife... and casts the skull bouncing down the steps towards his former followers... sort of like in a Conan movie...

I am now ruler of the world.

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 05:36 PM
on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on....

wow...

just observing.....

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 03:18 PM
Since this is a dating site...

... I was wondering if the people who compulsively and obsessively argue are lonely?

... I was wondering if they had given any thought to the idea that constantly bitterly arguing was not all that attractive to the opposite sex or potential partners?

Nobody wins when people argue. You don't win some kind of Mingle prize for having the most cruel argument. There is no victory at all.

Only a feeding of the flesh for one's own selfish means.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. There is no new thing under the sun.

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 03:11 PM
Edited by TelephoneMan on Wed 12/10/08 03:12 PM
Dear diary,

Please help me to remember to take my Batman Begins video back to Blockbuster before Guido and Sal come from Blockbuster to break my knees and tell me in a stuffed-cotton-in-their-cheeks-voice... "its only business."

I am 6 days late. After 3 days they contact the credit reporting agencies. After 7 days, they send Guido and Sal to retrieve the DVD.

My uncle was late 17 days once, and they found him in his apartment with his tongue sticking out of his esophagus. The nice FBI officer that came by that day told me that it was called an "Italian Neck Tie."

My uncle had been watching Forrest Gump.

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 02:37 PM
Edited by TelephoneMan on Wed 12/10/08 02:57 PM

I think its worth commenting...

... about how many (self-proclaimed) "Christians" on this board are addicted to argumentative behavior, and at every slight political reason, chime in as if they speak with the mouth of God.

Thus inviting people to bad mouth them... and then wondering why they don't find "Christian Rights" here... ummm... sort of like Gay people wanting "Gay Rights." (???)

What is it in their mental make-up that causes them to invite this bashing of their faith? (or belief system)

What is it in the mental make-up that causes people to bash that same faith? (or belief system)

It amazes me to find people arguing so bitterly about such a wide variety of stuff.

I really think it isn't "in the name of God" these types argue on and on endlessly, but it is in the very bitterness of their soul that they have allowed the world to enter in and convert them to be such argumentative types.

There are a million more productive things to do with one's life the to extinguish life's precious time here on this web site heaped nearly irretrievably in some kind of completely vain argument.

I think I can observe this for all people....

... arguing feeds the flesh.

And for a faith that is taught to deny the flesh, this might be worth consideration. Then maybe one would not be wondering why (ahem) <quote-unquote> "Christians" are being bad mouthed in every corner of this web site.

IS IT RIGHT TO BAD MOUTH A CHRISTIAN FOR THE CHRISTIAN'S OPINION?

THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.....AGAIN CHRISTIANS ARE VERY ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINIONS AND DO NOT HAVE TO CONFORM TO NON CHRISTIANS.......

LINDYY
:heart:

Yes, but I am not a (quote-unquote) "non Christian"...

Opinion is one thing.... on and on and on in arguments about religion day after day after day show me something about an arguers personality. I will know you by your fruits.

If I did not have the Spirit of God in me, then you may possible blow me off, but since I do (read my profile), what I am doing here is holding you accountable for all the bitter garbage you allow to spew out of your computer and into the eyes of the innocent. Not everybody here is some ultra-terrible demon-possessed person who needs to be beat up by your constant arguments. I wonder how many good people were actually considering Christianity as a life choice, but after seeing you and other like you who post constant bitter rags in the name of God, perhaps you have made them choose differnelt, at which time you ceased to be doing God's work, and blindly begand working for the Enemy of God.

Obsessive arguers are showing signs of severe bitternes, very little peace, and in my opinion, are making a mockery of the God they claim to love.

It isn't anything more than feeding the flesh.

Why not be posting somewhere else to add something that is uplifting? Instead it is a constant woe of strife. Why always be in some situation showing people how much you can hate them with your words? Is this how you plan to show Christ's love? Wow.....

"Jesus wept."

Check your heart... it appears there is something drastically wrong with it if a person compulsively and obsessively posts nothing but arguments day in and day out.

Where are the beauties in life? Where is your peace? Where is your compassion? Where is simply... your love"

"God is love."

Is life a non-stop, drama filled argument? That is all people here get from you. It is the testimony of the obsessive arguer, it causes people to hate God because of your example, and you don't seem to care. It seems more important to you to perpetuate the hate in your flesh and to feed it by posting more and more and more argumentative comments.

This is the Christ you are presenting by example as people who may or may not be Christians are watching through the screen of their computers.

I have the freedom to kill someone, and I could feel I am entitled, but that does not make it right.

You may feel you have some kind of freedom to go on and on and on endlessly in arguments, but that does not make it right.

It typically gives people the wrong impression about Christianity when you claim to do it because it is (in your words) "in the name of God", etc.

I do not think Jesus would be on an Internet site everyday arguing about anything. He would be out doing good works, like healing people, or teaching with love and compassion. Perhaps you need to follow His example and get away from your computer for a season and do some of those types of good things. Arguing contains no healing, only strife and bitterness, and it seems like the world is your victim. The same world Jesus died for on the cross.

If that is your view of Jesus, I really pity you.

Bitterness, hatred, contempt... for people of all types... in the name of Jesus... if I did not have my faith, I would run for the hills from your example. Have you considered stopping the arguing because you, by posting your bitter opinions, are actually doing the Devil's work by driving people away from Christ by the hordes?

You are so far from the truth of Christ, that you cannot see any truth whatsoever, that is what I think. I think you are back-slidden and lost, and basically very close to the Biblical Pharisee and hypocrite.

I am actually trying to help you, but I think you are so lost in this obsessive online arguing stuff, that it would take a lightning strike to force you to repent.

There is such a thing as being addicted to being online. Sort of like being addicted to gambling or any other activity.

Arguing feeds the flesh. It is vain. You should stop, and I don't mind posting the truth about it that many more will see and acknowledge. It is what someone needs to stand up and say, and I have said it openly and with no fear.

Repent.

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 08:06 AM
I think its worth commenting...

... about how many (self-proclaimed) "Christians" on this board are addicted to argumentative behavior, and at every slight political reason, chime in as if they speak with the mouth of God.

Thus inviting people to bad mouth them... and then wondering why they don't find "Christian Rights" here... ummm... sort of like Gay people wanting "Gay Rights." (???)

What is it in their mental make-up that causes them to invite this bashing of their faith? (or belief system)

What is it in the mental make-up that causes people to bash that same faith? (or belief system)

It amazes me to find people arguing so bitterly about such a wide variety of stuff.

I really think it isn't "in the name of God" these types argue on and on endlessly, but it is in the very bitterness of their soul that they have allowed the world to enter in and convert them to be such argumentative types.

There are a million more productive things to do with one's life the to extinguish life's precious time here on this web site heaped nearly irretrievably in some kind of completely vain argument.

I think I can observe this for all people....

... arguing feeds the flesh.

And for a faith that is taught to deny the flesh, this might be worth consideration. Then maybe one would not be wondering why (ahem) <quote-unquote> "Christians" are being bad mouthed in every corner of this web site.

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 03:19 AM
Well, I don't know about marriage and all that... whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I do know this... if 100% of the population on Earth were gay and lesbian, the species of the organism would die off in one generation.

Seems kind of socially suicidal in a certain light...

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 03:13 AM
Hmmmm.....

... well, they don't make house calls...

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 03:07 AM
4 pages of complete and utter non-sense... LOL

TelephoneMan's photo
Wed 12/10/08 03:04 AM
Edited by TelephoneMan on Wed 12/10/08 03:07 AM
The one major problem with world domination is the competitive human spirit.

Re-thinking my incestuous seasonings from a prior post, I'll take a hint from King Solomon and take 1,000 wives and 1,000 concubines to my secret hideout before I annihilate all the rest of the population.

Once all 6 billion folks are wiped out (and loaded on a space ship into the sun for burial), except for my 1,000 wives and 1,000 concubines... which I will disperse to all points on the planet so they will never meet...

I will then take a nice long rest in the Batcave....

After I wake up, I will kill the 1 million scientists I had build the funeral space ships... and I will be alone amongst my 2,000 women. All of course, the finest chosen from all over the world...

Especially Eastern European chicks, nothing sounds sexier than an Eastern European chick trying to speak English... LOL

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next