Community > Posts By > artlo

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 01:47 PM
So, President Obama is "in way over his head" in Libya and Syria? Brilliant analysis now that the Libyan rebels are taking over Tripoli. They have even erected a giant poster thanking Obama, Cameron, Rice and Sarkozy for a successful NATO intervention. The photos in this article are pretty impressive. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/libyans-thank-obama-poster_n_933396.html

As for Syria, Obama is once again doing exactly the right thing - allowing Assad to self-destruct. Assad's days are numbered. He will be destroyed by his own people. The entire arab world is being treated to a media blitz of reporting on Syria's atrocities and violence. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/08/my-entry.html

Faux News really does just make this stuff up.

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 11:49 AM
Mother nature must be trying to tell us something. Fortunately, the summer has been a pleasant one, with temperatures reaching into the low 80s, though the mornings have been a little bit more nippy than I care for.

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 11:28 AM
I'll attempt this one more time. The interview is with a Constitutional Law professor who has some every interesting things to say about how extreme rightwing people interpret the Constitution. He also warns about these same people seek to introduce alternative information about the Constitution into our schools. Anybody who belongs to the Tea Party may find this offensive. It is directed at no particular individual poster.

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 10:29 AM
http://www.620kpoj.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=153120&article=8990803

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 10:14 AM
How clear does the 33% agenda have to be? A country like the old monarchies, where the royal families raise their incomes by raising taxes on the peasants. Is this really the 21st century?

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 10:10 AM
It was Americans that voted to elect a man with no experience or comprehension as to what it was going to take to solve the problems

That's your 33 % opinion. This is the way it's supposed to work in a democracy. Americans get to vote for what they think is right. The outlier, fringe thinkers generally get left in the dust.

no photo
Tue 08/23/11 10:07 AM
What has been made clear with countries like Greece is that spending is the problem.

No, what has been mad chrystal clear in countries like Greece is that wealthy people should be required to pay their taxes.

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 07:11 PM
This tells me that Obama is spending at a faster rate then Bush and IF he wins a second term and keeps this pace in another 5 1/2 years he will have raised it to 19.5 trillion. Numbers don't lie.

Numbers don't lie, but they are often misused. What this tells you is that extreme right forces have prevented the raising of revenues to bring the deficit down. Two thirds of the American people want this, but America went a little crazy in the last election.

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 07:03 PM
[Some really good insights, although I think he's wrong on a few counts. America does have a debt crisis, but it is a manufactured debt crisis and it is one of the weapons being used in what amounts to a cultural war.

Bonds are not yet the risky investment that the rightists had intended them to become. The bond market shows remarkable confidence given the attack on them engineered by the extreme rightists, but the bond market won't withstand more such attacks.

What rarely gets acknowledged is that America is in the middle of a war. The "can't-we-all-get-along" crowd is living in a world that just doesn't exist in America. America isn't dead yet, but it is in serious trouble.

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 06:40 PM
Tired of swatting mosquitos. Have it your way, Charles. Guess I must be a racist. Score a huge victory for you.

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 06:31 PM
I dn't know what this is suppose to tell us We all know that the troops are fed a steady diet of Faux News. The only real poll will be from those who have returned to life at home when they learn how they have been lied to all this time.

Actually, the only real poll will me 2012. If Perry or Bachman or Romney are polling higher than 40%, then Obama needs to worry. Perry is a train wreck waiting to happen. Bachman is already a national joke. Romney is going to hae too much to explain about his job-creation history at Bain Capital. I can't imagine that a few disgrunted and misled GIs are going to have a serious impact.

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 03:46 PM
I agree, I wouldnt mind if we forgot all boxes but male and female, but that will never happen.

People are always going to find reasons for tribal divisions as bases for hatred. In a perfect world, race just would not be available to them for that purpose.

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 01:10 PM
Making a law about race is racism.

Really!? I didn't find that in any of the dictionary definitions that I read. What dictionary did you use?

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 01:00 PM
It's odd, isn't it? At the same time as these business Chief Financial Officers are offering their opinions, we get this compilation of polls with Americans' opinions about how the deficit should be reduced. Count em! Twenty-three polls! Including the notoriously right-leaning Rasmussen poll.

http://capitalgainsandgames.com/blog/bruce-bartlett/2341/23-polls-say-people-support-higher-taxes-reduce-deficit

no photo
Mon 08/22/11 12:46 PM
So you are racist?

Gee, Charles. What do you think? Did I say something racist? I certainly didn't mean to. Just the opposite. Is there something you want to explain to me?

no photo
Sun 08/21/11 08:17 PM
If I were Emperor of the world, I would forbid marriages within one's one race.

no photo
Sun 08/21/11 06:40 PM
Edited by artlo on Sun 08/21/11 06:41 PM
There seems to be the myth around that Libya is an American operation. What would suggest that the Americans President is ""in over his head? It's a Faux News fantasy. Libya is a popular uprising with aid from NATO. Some participation of American technology.

As I write this, Libyan rebels are on the verge of taking tripoli with little resistance and the dictator Quadaffi is packing his bags.

"Obama in over his head"! The Tea Partiers believe any Faux News fantasy they hear.

no photo
Thu 08/18/11 01:15 PM
could happen, but the trends aren't good. As the article says, "Little more than a year ago, most Americans did not know enough about the Tea Party to have an opinion. Now, more people have opinions, and they are hardly positive." The more people know . . .

no photo
Thu 08/18/11 12:08 PM
Edited by artlo on Thu 08/18/11 12:50 PM
Obamas approval rating is 39%

And guess who has even much lower approval rating - the Tea-Party led Congress.
I wonder if Tea-baggers are feeling as beloved and admired as they were a year ago.

no photo
Thu 08/18/11 09:44 AM
In the most recent poll, most Americans took a negative view of the debt-ceiling negotiations, seeing them as “mostly about gaining political advantage.” With Republicans in charge of the House, more of the blame fell on them. And many people — a 43 percent plurality — saw the Tea Party as having too much influence on Republicans.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Democrats were most likely to have an unfavorable view of the Tea Party. But a plurality of independents, too — 40 percent — viewed the Tea Party negatively, and said it had too much influence on the Republican Party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/us/politics/05teaparty.html

People aren't as stupid as you might think when they start paying attention.

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25