Community > Posts By > Drivinmenutz

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 08/28/13 11:51 AM

Canadian laws require registration of all people who own guns and registration of all guns. Applicants for gun permits are screened through a background check and a gun safety course where an instructor must sign off that the applicant successfully took the course. Finally, a mandatory 28-day waiting period is imposed on first-time applicants.

Okay... sounds innocent right? Sounds reasonable right? Of course it does. But registration is basically a list of gun owners. When the time comes for a tyrannical government to confiscate guns, they have a list.

(But criminals can steal the guns they need.)

In addition, Canada has special laws against the use of non-hunting firearms. Individuals are granted permission to use such arms only when the individual has genuine needs for restricted firearms or prohibited handguns that include a need to protect the life of that individual or of other individuals where

But the right to bear arms is not about hunting. It is about the ability to defend the country if and when a government turns on its own people and turns into Tyranny. And don't say that it will never happen here, it ALWAYS HAPPENS. Look at history.

Also, saying that you are a member of the NRA and of the NFA (National Firearms Association) is not a free pass to support lame gun control ideas like these.

The right to bear arms is not about keeping guns from criminals, or about hunting.

It is about the freedom to bear arms without the government regulating, and controlling or confiscating them.

I find it quite amusing that you do exactly what you accuse others of....not looking at all material. You select only what fits your view.

I did state SOME of the Canadian laws. I see that you either did not bother referring to the chart in the article or choose to ignore it because it does not fit your view.

The chart specifically states that all those Mass Killings were done with legally obtained weapons. Weapons which the killers would Not have had such easy access to if SOME of the restrictions were put in place.

As far as the rest of it goes.... I joined NRA / NFA because I believe in the right to have firearms for defense and not just hunting.

Anyway time for some shuteye.

I know i may be splitting hairs... But your use of the word "All" is incorrect.

I seem to remember at least one of your list involving illegally obtained weapons.

Either way i feel it necessary to add; The ends do not always justify the means. We have been founded on principles that freedom and independence, in general, out weighs personal safety. But i suppose that's just us. These were safeguards against leaders gaining too much power.

And crime in the U.S., as a whole, has been seemingly unchanged by any gun control measures already passed. This includes Clinton's "assault weapon" ban.

With disregard to mass shootings, gun-related violence is MUCH more connected to economics than laws...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 08/28/13 11:40 AM

lol.. Canadians have this "holier than tho" attitude... i guess they think that there was no Indians in Canada, only in America...whoa

both countries displaced and murdered the natives, but the Canadians don't seem to remember that...

Moe, W2, Lonely ... Come on guys Seriously,
slaves? Indians? Stepping In?

This thread is about gun control and how things need to change and i'm not seeing anything you wrote address the real issue. That's a American Thang I've dealt on here before... Bob & weave eh? it's annoying

You're way doesn't work!
Stand all proud... wait for the boogyman government to come get you, while your own blood, pucks you up... it's ridiculous

even disregarding Jeanne's questionable hysteria ....ummm.... I mean history lesson....if our government or any of the governments she named, wants to exterminate you....a couple glocks and Winchesters from that there kitchen cabinet ain't gonna stop 'em

hell folks they bombed a daggone hood in philly where I grew up

all the sat. night specials hidden under matresses in the ghetto didn't stop 'em on that day...lol

irrespective of your opinion on gun control....the US Govt does not need gun control ...if they comin' they comin as one big army

gun control is for people like me who'd like to see my children safe in their school where no "crazzzzie azzholes who got mama's gun cuz that woman be half crazy too" is gonna come shoot up the classroom

cus they be some CRAZY SHYTE....nuff said

Good point, except for the fact that the government wouldn't come in guns a blazin like you mentioned.

It's called incrementalism. Scenario most folks are talking about would involve Martial Law type situations where civilians mount a defense. At first citizens would be outgunned until family members of soldiers were involved. Then most of the U.S. Military would turn on the powers that be.

Random fact... In general military leadership actually looks down on our special forces (in all branches). This (i would assume) is because they are the first ones to question their orders. (Quite commonly disobeying them if they go against morals or ideals.) You don't hear that very often, but I've seen it.

Point is, when a real conflict breaks out, most of those that make us as powerful as we are, will disband and join the people, starting with our most highly trained operatives. The glock's, Ak's, and AR's only give the citizens the initial ground.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Tue 08/20/13 10:19 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Tue 08/20/13 10:20 AM
First of all, I respectfully disagree to the notion of there being "no" organized factions or countries that despise the U.S. enough to commit violence on it (civilians and military alike). I have first hand accounts that tell me otherwise.

That being said...

I do believe, however that the majority of this hatred is stemmed more from our country's meddlesome antics across the the globe. We have troops deployed to more than 150 different foreign countries, and we have a system of controlling these lands by giving them large amounts of money (which by default these governments become dependent on), then threatening to pull the funding if at any time, said country does not meet our wishes. With enough countries under our influence we can shape world events. When you shape world events, you make enemies.

I also must admit, I cannot ignore the countless times when Washington's orders so blatantly came from a desire to extend conflicts rather than finish them. I can site thousands, yes, thousands of times where orders were given to stand down during critical points, perfect mission plans were denied for no reason, and ground was literally given up for no purpose (only to be retaken). No one is this stupid. And it isn't just politicians worrying about "feelings". So I do agree, something is definitely "fishy".

Drivinmenutz's photo
Tue 08/20/13 09:36 AM

name ONE dodo,, name ONE sitting president who , DURING HIS TERM, had an act at a STATE SPONSORED Event call for violence against him who was in no way reprimanded,,,

I will be shocked if you come up with one,, seriously

it wasn't about his BLACKNESS< it was about the calling of VIOLENCE AGAINST A SITTING PRESIDENT<<,, at a GOVERNMENT sponsored event,,(State or otherwise)

With respect Miss Harmony, It would appear a similar event had happened to Bush Sr. during a 1994 rodeo...

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-clown-revives-flash-backs-to-bush-bashing-including-a-rodeo-stunt

Drivinmenutz's photo
Fri 08/16/13 09:38 AM
Personally i think the PR idea was quite brilliant.

I also believe we need a higher quantity of teachers.

(I know this is almost a contradiction)Provisions should be made making it easier to fire older ones (as i have seen many who get tired and focus their career on getting paid for doing as little as possible at the expense of their students' education).

There has been a huge push in my state to consolidate schools into larger districts. This is a horrible plan as now taxpayers' funds get put into a large pool and issues in smaller schools get ignored despite increased taxes. We need to get rid of this consolidation and allow for a greater independence of individual schools. Then we can study the more successful ones and learn from them.

I have never been a fan of the Department of Education, as their blanket policies often hinder smaller specific situations. I would not know how to overhaul the system without studying it a great deal, however.

(This may or may not be related to the above). Children with violent behavioral problems should not be kept in public classroom. I have seen this on several occasions where a child hits other students, destroys their classwork, destroys school property such as laptops, and yells/screams, yet the teacher cannot restrain him due to laws, even though he is literally punching other kids in the face. This is wrong, and we are traumatizing many just to cater to one. That mentality needs to end.

This push to create "more rounded" students by focusing on everything at a young age is also a hindrance. At a young age the old fashioned "reading, writing, and arithmetic" should be focused on. This is also an issue in college. In an attempt to "create more rounded students" you have to spend years (yes multiple) on subjects that have nothing to do with your major. For example; in order to get my pre-medicine degree i needed to take 3 semesters of art (That's 1.5 years). This is a waste of time and money.

Which leads me to another complaint;

Colleges are getting too bloody expensive. This means the system needs an overhaul. Step 1: get rid of the courses you don't need. Step 2: Get banks the heck out of our educational system. Governments should subsidize the students rather than the banks. Besides, student loans are creating hyperinflation of tuition costs. Personally i am expected to pay almost $300,000 for my college before i am finished. I know MANY who have Bachelor's degrees and $100,000 or more of debt. This plays havoc on the economy as again, people like me will be paying $2,000 a month for 30 years on graduation.

Again, i apologize for ranting...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/15/13 09:19 AM
The Bill of Rights protects citizens from abuse of power. It fries me to think many believe it to be a collection of polite suggestions.

Sorry about getting off topic...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/15/13 09:16 AM

Calling the tea party racist is doing it in a collective sense. So your individual case example is what is absurd..

when did I call the tea party racist?

flowers are beautiful, but they still attract bees

Im stating that the ideology of the tea party is likely to attract racists,, its not a condemnation of the party any more than its a condemnation of flowers that bees happen to be drawn to them,,,

What ideology attracts racists?

Good question....

Indeed, i would certainly like to know...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/15/13 09:15 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/15/13 09:17 AM

then there are those who understand the constitution to be a LIVING document , written with flexibility to be changed and adapted,, instead of worshipped as the final eternal word,,,lol

"Living document" is code for "we can make it mean whatever we want it to mean", and the expression is used by people who want judges to amend the U.S. Constitution instead of amending it the way that it is supposed to be amended.

the courts INTERPRET the law,, its their job
the congress and president AMEND laws and create laws,, that's their job,, as A UNIT (not separately)

Courts explain what a law means as it is written, not as people want it to mean.

courts INTERPRET the law

2.Translate orally the words of another person speaking a different language.

citizens do the same thing,,

many of them will align with the courts interpretations, and many of them wont,,,

Interpreting a law is one thing. Reading something into the law that is not there in order to please someone is another thing. The latter is the desire of those who keep calling the U.S. Constitution a "living document".

don't like 'living' ? what about 'elastic'

The United States Constitution has proved itself the most marvelously elastic compilation of rules of government ever written.

franklin d roosevelt

or how about AMENDING law to the times,,,?

In approaching this problem, we cannot turn the clock back to 1868, when the Amendment was adopted, or even to 1896, when Plessy v. Ferguson was written. We must consider public education in the light of its full development and its present place in American life throughout the Nation. Only in this way can it be determined if segregation in public schools deprives these plaintiffs of the equal protection of the laws.[5]

(brown vs board)

or connecting it to the 'context of the times'
Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.

James Madison

,,seems founders knew that it was important to consider the TIMES when faced with interpreting or amending their document,,,too bad so many take it as a simplistic BIBLE , to read EXACTLY like it did when the founders created it with the distinct capacity to be AMENDED,,,,,

This is kinda like saying,

"Terrorism is a huge risk which our forefathers couldn't have seen. In order to combat it in our day we must tap all phones/emails, and run them through a constant database."

Or

"Crime is becoming an unforeseen problem and criminals have technology that was unknown at the writing of our constitution. Lets keep people safe by putting cameras on all street corners and all homes (in case of break in)."
"Lets conduct random searches of homes to look for drugs and/or missing persons."
"Lets disarm the populace."
"We could more effectively combat crime if we chipped everyone so we can track movements."

These are all very scary things. If we don't take the constitution as it is written seriously, all these are a strong possibility.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/15/13 09:05 AM

Calling the tea party racist is doing it in a collective sense. So your individual case example is what is absurd..

when did I call the tea party racist?

flowers are beautiful, but they still attract bees

Im stating that the ideology of the tea party is likely to attract racists,, its not a condemnation of the party any more than its a condemnation of flowers that bees happen to be drawn to them,,,

I guess it can be stated that the ideology of the democratic party attracts more ignorant people who do not understand the Constitution or the Bill of rights. Same type statement you make about the Tea Party.

can absolutely be stated, be interesting to see actual STUDIES That back up that logic though,,lol

then there are those who understand the constitution to be a LIVING document , written with flexibility to be changed and adapted,, instead of worshipped as the final eternal word,,,lol

Indeed it is living, to an extent. But it seems as though interpretations from the court, and amendments improperly overridden are demeaning the document. Pushing it continually away from its intent. This intent being; balance of power. It has been stated by many involved in it's making that there are certain things the government should NEVER do. Things like illegal searches/seizures, disarming citizens, preventing free speech, etc. which are included in the Bill of Rights.

Our forefathers knew the very nature that still guides us today. All those in charge will actively pursue more control as it is their job to regulate. When the majority rules (which is a true democracy) 51% of the population can enslave the other 49%, quite literally. Everyone of all branches (including people) continually strive for more money. And everyone is corruptible (hence the balancing certain powers).

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 08/14/13 01:52 PM

actually believe more bullets flying amounts to propensity for more people dying,,not less

but that's just my 'logic',,,lol

lets have one person in a crowd shoot, everyone else crrying trying to figure out who that is start shooting too,, and see if there is less carnage than if just that one person and a TRAINED personnel or one or two trained professionals fired back,,,

This would assume that people carrying have no training...

Not many who are inexperienced with firearms would elect to carry a loaded one, i would think. Most people i know who carry, either has some military/police training or have taken courses on the use and application of these firearms. Even those who just take courses have often grown up around them and can out shoot most police officers. Not impossible for someone with a lack of experience to try and play "hero" in a shootout though, regrettably.

I am curious as to the "trained" personnel of which you reference. For instance, you would be surprised at how well-trained, civilians today can be with the U.S. being as involved in foreign wars as it has in the last 11 years.

For those untrained, perhaps more training should be made available to those who would like to pursue it... Maybe some government subsidies for programs? In the very least Uncle Sam should stop cleaning the ammo off from gun store shelves so the civilian populace can practice. Even trained civilians need to stay in shape. Rather difficult when the ammo is so hard to find (also resulting in much higher prices when it is found).

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/01/13 07:42 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/01/13 08:01 PM

no problem

common sense should prevail, yet its not so common

there aren't many 120 year olds, and of course, proving that someone did come at her and say they were going to kill her would be hard to prove without a witness,, otherwise she could merely invite someone she didn't like and shoot them claiming they said the words

I think it is a gray area worth exploring that a person should have to retreate if possible whenever in public,,,before using deadly force

I think its also worth exploring that initial aggression play a part in the right to use deadly force in defense,,,(meaning a perp should not be able to use their 'fear' as an excuse to kill someone who put them in fear during the course of their own right to defend themselves from that perp)

Of course the "120" was poundage....:tongue:

Also, i would tread lightly on requiring a retreat, as it is impossible to predict every scenario. (like the instance mention before) Also, I don't see myself fleeing if a loved one cannot. Its against my nature, as in the nature of any well-trained soldier past or present.

I agree on you about initial aggression. If one commits a violent act, retaliation of that act should not be criminalized. If a guy starts a fight (starts swinging) over road rage, then he cannot claim self defense if he is losing the fight (unless the other person pulls out a deadly weapon and threatens to kill him, in which case it now becomes gray).

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/01/13 07:08 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/01/13 07:44 PM

That's what i thought... SYG was not used, yet they see it as an issue.

I suspect you are correct Willing. Anything can and will be done dwindle personal independence it seems...

And no offense, but that tutu kinda makes me want to flee as well...

it was originally proposed as a defense

since then, people have read about and become concerned with

its not really about personal independence for me or people I know who are concerned

its about RESPONSIBLE reactions and gun use,,,

Indeed, but the SYG law can be beneficial to some who use it responsibly. Depends on the situation. You dont want a situation where a 120lbs woman can't shoot the 6'6'' man who approaches her saying "im going to kill you" (or something of that nature) without going to prison. for murder...

I think what bothers many about the law is the open ended for "reasonable cause" for one's life being threatened...

In some states you have to prove that you tried to run away and couldn't possibly do so. Problem with that, is that woman from the example earlier, would have had to run first (turning her back on her assailant). If the man caught her she would most likely not know it until it was too late. With SYG, she could have pulled her gun, and told him to back off. If he still approached her she could then protect herself.

I feel we are treading on some definite gray territory here. There is no winning, and sometimes when you try to improve something that can't be perfect, we make things worse.

Please excuse my random thoughts...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/01/13 06:27 PM
Thought it was pretty outlandish how he was on the ballot in 45 states during the 2008 elections, yet i dont remember seeing in the debates with McCain/Obama...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/01/13 02:30 PM
That's what i thought... SYG was not used, yet they see it as an issue.

I suspect you are correct Willing. Anything can and will be done dwindle personal independence it seems...

And no offense, but that tutu kinda makes me want to flee as well...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/01/13 10:46 AM

Black Americans benefit when they exercise their Second Amendment right to possess firearms.

Black Americans benefit from Stand Your Ground laws, which enable them to defend themselves.

So, which political institution wants to do away with Stand Your Ground and make it more difficult for black Americans to possess firearms?

this has nothing to do with the OWNING of guns

and everything to do with the reasonable USE of guns

do black americans benefit if they are perceived as the 'threatening' minority ,

by a law that only requires someone feeling threatened to justify them taking a life?

I would think not,,,,

a castle doctrine is one thing, when people are in their home

but its another issue to say that people outside in the open only need to feel 'threatened' to end someones life

who is the bigger threat to the public...
a white plumber, or an 18 year old black gangster?
a redneck with an ar15, or kilo, leader of the MS13?
the black businesswoman, or bob, leader of the skinheads...

i think you see where i'm going with this...
mostly, the gangs... doesn't matter what color or nationality, there's stupid in every group...
maybe they should set an age limit on the legalities of owning a gun...

who, when dressed in regular clothes, no uniform, no occupational attire

is seen as the bigger threat? the white male or the black male?

the white woman or the black woman?

mostly, black is seen by far too many as threatening, and assumed to be 'suspicious',,,,and that is the issue that makes Stand your ground such a dangerous precedent to uphold,,,,

i don't remember TM going to Zimmermans car, i remember Zimmerman following and hunting TM...
i can't see how the SYG law applies here, when zimmerman was hunting TM

Im not so sure that the SYG law was even used in this case. Didn't the defense plead "self defense"?

If so, im not sure why the SYG law is even being called into question...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 07/31/13 08:14 PM

kewl

proper surveillance of terrorists is understandable

and also understandable that the gatekeepers sometimes just get 'overzealous' in their duty to protect

but, should be accountable when their overzealousness harms lives in any way,,,,

More or less... flowerforyou

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 07/31/13 03:23 PM

and this comes back to my point,, doesn't it?

courts are there to 'interpret' the laws,,,that decision is left to a majority decision

so obviously,, there is room for interpretation,,,lol

it was once 'reasonable' for people to own slaves , wasn't it?

the constitution addressed it

The migration or importation of such persons as any of the states now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each person.

the constitution ORIGINALLY (written by 'reasonable' men),,,,had a legal protection written in for people to own slaves without interference from the government

but then, as the constitution OFTEN did,, the PEOPLE and those writing it changed their idea of what was reasonable,, apparently

and decided to write in something to expressly PROHIBIT slavery,,,

so,, putting aside the FACT that the constitution grows with culture and is amendable

,,,what constitutes 'reasonable' courses of action when people seem suspicious,,,to a stranger, a cop, or a government entity,,,,?

what would be some 'reasonable' ways, for instance, to gather information from suspected terrorists? do we think just asking them nicely would work? or announcing to them that we were watching them? ,,,,,,,what is the SOLUTION to the issue of protecting citizens in this age of advanced technology and weaponry that is equally available to citizens and individuals as they are to governments?

I understand where you are coming from, and can't really argue the fact that our constitution grows with culture. At least to a minor degree. Few would argue that expansion of the document to free slaves and protect them as fellow citizens. That, I see, as progress. This is a sign of cultural growth.

There are a few things that should never change, and that is the heart of the constitution. It outlines a system of checks and balances to prevent any entity from becoming too powerful, as there are those who endlessly hunger to seek such powers. It is gravely foolish to loose sight of the necessity for ALL of the checks and balances(with a slight majority of the power residing in the people as per design). This is also why its important for citizens and the government to have comparable weaponry and technologies.

To answer your question, if one has evidence enough to prove suspicion for someone being a terrorist, then that person takes this information to a judge to sign off on it. By signing said document, the judge now takes the responsibility you speak of, and is liable if he/she is checked by the legal system. This is how proper surveillance is done on terrorists.

Is it ideal? No. It may even cost lives. But that is a risk Americans take for being Americans.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither" - Benjamin Franklin

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 07/29/13 08:10 PM

I was responding to the writer whose commentary blamed Treyvon for not doing what she would do in like circumstance and hence villified him. I was merely stating that a teenager does not have the experience nor the wisdom that an adult has, the law does recognize this, and you can't expect a teenager to process info with the same maturity as an adult. Again, to state that the victim did not respond as you think you would have is not a logical argumant for his guilt, particularly when dealing with a teenager. Z was the adult here, he was armed, he had training to know not to pursue, he had instruction from the authorities not to follow, he had a gun, he was the threat, he knew he could defend himself, he put himself in the position to cause this tragedy and is responsible for his actions. There is no evidence that Treyvon did anything wrong, there is plenty of evidence that Z did everything wrong, including "racial profiling."

I do agree that teenagers often lack the wisdom that age may bring. I do, however, believe that others should not bear the burden of those who chose a foolish path. That being said...

I don't believe that following someone (even against ADVICE) can be compared to knocking someone to the ground and beating him (supposedly even after he called for help).

We have to proof of the story going either way. Age cannot be taken into consideration, as from Z's perspective, he MAY not have had time to check T's identity card while he was being beaten.

I do, however, acknowledge that this story may have gone done very differently. Using the guidelines of objective thought, one cannot conclude any guilt. All one can do is hypothesize, and I, again, am glad that we cannot jail someone on just a hypothesis.

Furthermore, if one could call this case "racial profiling" then why isn't every arrest that is made from a physical description called into question? To suspect anyone matching a certain description would be profile of some sort, would it not?

Im not merely hypothesizing anymore than the jurors were

they believed one narrative, and I Believe another

mine is from the EAR WITNESS who they apparently chose to ignore,,,,,

indeed...

But because all we can do is hypothesize, i must reflect with relief that Z has not been accused. As we all should. Had they gone the other way, it would reflect poorly on our legal system. (Innocent until proven guilty beyond any reasonable doubt)

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 07/29/13 06:22 PM

It is now Gotham City!
All it's missing is Batman and some supervillains!

think

But where will Robocop go?huh

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 07/29/13 06:20 PM

I am all for REGULATED capitalism.

You know, that is not unreasonable. Capitalism, completely unregulated, may eventually end up with a few people who ban together and figure the system out to exploit it. Only problem is, eventually the same will occur with regulations. Those who are making the rules become more powerful than those originally taking advantage of the system and power, breeds corruption, just as it did before, but this time on an even less playing field.

This is one of many reasons a Utopian society cannot exist...

Just my 2 cents...

1 2 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 24 25