Community > Posts By > mcattygarnett

mcattygarnett's photo
Tue 12/02/08 05:31 PM

Ok so my 17 yr old daughter, who has never given me any problems, drops a bomb on me last night. She tells me that her and her boyfriend who is 16 had sex one day while his parents were gone for a couple of hours. She says that they used a condom but still. I am so disappointed in her and I dont know that I can trust her again. She is upset with me because I told her that I didnt know if I could trust her for awhile. I dont know what to do, please any and all advice would be helpful I didnt sleep well at all last night. I will be taking her to get a pregnancy test in the next week or two. I know it is not the end of the world but I do feel like alot of it has come crashing down on me.frown :cry:

well my guess is she will not tell you stuff any more

sorry but cant trust you was wrong thing to say \

hope it works out for ya

See this is where you are wrong, my daughter will still come to me, just today she came to me about something. Just just came out of left field and was a shocker to me. I was honest with her about the fact that I didnt know if I could trust her for awhile, just as she was honest with me. It is called keeping the lines of communication open.

mcattygarnett's photo
Tue 12/02/08 04:48 AM
Edited by mcattygarnett on Tue 12/02/08 04:49 AM

IMO, this is not a matter of trust, at least not in your way of thinking. Try this perspective, she truste you and your relationship enough to confide in you about something most kids would never dream of doing. In her eyes, you have probably betrayed her trust as much as she has yours.

Unfortunately, sex at that age is pretty common and despite her upbringing (or anyone's), it's more likely kids will than won't. So, let's look at it this way. She was safe by using a condom, she came to you to talk to and confide in. She's obviously doing something right. You've done well just getting her to that point. You should be proud of her for just doing those things. Granted, yes, it's probably better if she had waited but since she didn't, at least she's being as safe and as responsible as she can be. Your job, now, is to keep the lines of communication open, and do what you can to keep her protecting herself as much as possible. It's a done deal, so look to the future flowerforyou flowerforyou

Thank you for the advice, and I do totally understand what you are saying, it is just that I feel like I have failed somewhere. I thought that I had done everything possible to keep this from happening before she graduated from high school. Alot of her friends have had sex way before her, so yes I am happy that it didnt happen sooner, and I am sorry if she is feels like I betrayed her trust, but this was the only thing that I ever asked her not to do until she got out of high school. I will try really hard to get past this and move forward, because she does deserve to have the best senior year of her life, because she worked really hard to get to this point in her life.

mcattygarnett's photo
Tue 12/02/08 04:36 AM
Yes I did, but we are now best friends, and it has all worked out for the best.

mcattygarnett's photo
Tue 12/02/08 04:34 AM
Ok so my 17 yr old daughter, who has never given me any problems, drops a bomb on me last night. She tells me that her and her boyfriend who is 16 had sex one day while his parents were gone for a couple of hours. She says that they used a condom but still. I am so disappointed in her and I dont know that I can trust her again. She is upset with me because I told her that I didnt know if I could trust her for awhile. I dont know what to do, please any and all advice would be helpful I didnt sleep well at all last night. I will be taking her to get a pregnancy test in the next week or two. I know it is not the end of the world but I do feel like alot of it has come crashing down on me.frown :cry:

mcattygarnett's photo
Tue 12/02/08 04:27 AM
Good morning everyone, I didnt get much sleep last night. I do however hope that everyone has a good day.flowerforyou

mcattygarnett's photo
Tue 12/02/08 04:24 AM
flowerforyou Hello and welcome, I hope that you have fun here.

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:30 PM
I know what you mean.frown

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:29 PM
I try to stay busy doing anything to keep my mind off of being alone.flowerforyou

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:20 PM
flowerforyou hello and welcome, have a good time here

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:10 PM
oops

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:07 PM
they hire a lawyer to get some help with SSA.

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:06 PM
no I sure can't

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:05 PM
quit making eggs 18 yrs ago. :banana: :banana:

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 06:02 PM
Hello and welcome, I hope that you have fun here.flowerforyou

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 05:36 PM
not to night thank youflowerforyou

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 05:34 PM
I am not even going to go thereflowerforyou

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 05:31 PM

I just got a really nice initial mail from a guy who actually took the time to read my profile and wrote a thoughtful and coherent note, the problem, he is 79.

I wrote him a kind and respectful reponse, thanked him for actually reading my profile and for his kind e-mail, but thought our age difference was too great.

He writes me a snotty note back saying it's too bad I have limitations and I obviously have a hang-up about age, telling me I would do well to look beyond age. grumble

I am the one on here preachin' think beyond your limitations, think outside the box! huh The only hang-up I have is dating someone who's old enough to be my father. noway

I have to agree, I couldnt date anyone that is old enough to be my father. That is just me though.

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 05:29 PM
Havent found one yetflowerforyou flowerforyou

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 05:27 PM
I'm just mehappy

mcattygarnett's photo
Sun 11/30/08 05:25 PM
Hello and welcome, I hope that you have fun here.flowerforyou