Wed 06/27/12 12:47 AM
The episode of Family Guy that was on tonight

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Wed 06/27/12 12:08 AM
Edited by 1andOnlyN0rd on Wed 06/27/12 12:48 AM
Makes me all antsy in the panties xD

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Tue 06/26/12 11:53 PM

With the proper signals, they will stay, heel AND fetch.

rofl

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Tue 06/26/12 11:52 PM
Huggies all the ****in way

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Tue 06/26/12 11:50 PM
Edited by 1andOnlyN0rd on Tue 06/26/12 11:50 PM
What version of Windows?
and What version of Word Perfect do you have?

And honestly, a screenshot of the error message wouldn't hurt, though I'm pretty sure I know what you're seeing.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Fri 05/11/12 03:07 PM
You COULD just use an autorun.inf and have it play a song that's on the CD, but that's assuming they have autorun enabled.

Totage's answer is probably the best bet though, then it could be viewed on a computer or dvd/blu-ray player

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 05:16 PM

My nephew gets to play COD Modern Warfare when he's with his dad...
So getting to hear all the language and such from the other players, he picks things up...

The other day, he was playing with one of the neighbor kids, and she took one of his toys.

He looks at her with this angry face and just says "Gimmie! Or I will f#%kin kill you!"

yeah, great parenting.

oh, and for a second, I thought this said "Kids say the dumbest things"
idk if there's a smiley for it, but - /facepalm

This is awesome! LoL Kids are little friggin recording machines. They would make awesome stenographers...too bad for child labor laws. LoL

I got him calling police pigs & oinking at them xD

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 05:15 PM

In any case the problem with DNA lengthening is described by historic cases where interspecies breeding was successful in producing viable offspring. DNA can be lengthened or shortened by this process and explains why humans have one less DNA strand than the other Great Apes.

From Wiki:

Chromosomal polymorphism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In genetics, chromosomal polymorphism is a condition where one species contains members with varying chromosome counts or shapes. Polymorphism is a general concept in biology where more than one version of a trait is present in a population.

In some cases of differing counts, the difference in chromosome counts is the result of a single chromosome undergoing fission, where it splits into two smaller chromosomes, or two undergoing fusion, where two chromosomes join to form one.

This condition has been detected in many species. Trichomycterus davisi, for example, is an extreme case where the polymorphism was present within a single chimeric individual.[1]

It has also been studied in alfalfa,[2] shrews,[3] Brazilian rodents,[4] and an enormous variety of other animals and plants.[5] In one instance it has been found in a human.[6]

Another process resulting in differing chromosomal counts is polyploidy. This results in cells which contain multiple copies of complete chromosome sets.

Possessing chromosomes of varying shapes is generally the result of a chromosomal translocation or chromosomal inversion.

In a translocation, genetic material is transferred from one chromosome to another, either symmetrically or asymmetrically (a Robertsonian translocation).

In an inversion, a segment of a chromosome is flipped end-for-end.
Implications for speciation

All forms of chromosomal polymorphism can be viewed as a step towards speciation. Polymorphisms will generally result in a level of reduced fertility, because some gametes from one parent cannot successfully combine with all gametes of the other parent. However, when both parents contain matching chromosomal patterns, this obstacle does not occur. Further mutations in one group will not flow as rapidly into the other group as they do within the group in which it originally occurred.

Further mutations can also cause absolute infertility. If an interbreeding population contains one group in which (for example) chromosomes A and B have fused, and another population in which chromosomes B and C have fused, both populations will be able to interbreed with the parent population. However, the two subpopulations will not be able to breed successfully with each other if the doubling of chromosome B is fatal. Similar difficulties will occur for incompatible translocations of material.
References

^ Borin, Luciana Andreia; Isabel Cristina Martins-Santos (September 2000). "Intra-individual numerical chromosomal polymorphism in Trichomycterus davisi (Siluriformes, Trichomycteridae) from the Iguaçu River basin in Brazil". Genet. Mol. Biol. 23 (3). doi:10.1590/S1415-47572000000300018. Retrieved 2006-12-08.
^ Bauchan,, Gary R.; T. Austin Campbell, and M. Azhar Hossain (1 July 2002). "Chromosomal Polymorphism as Detected by C-Banding Patterns in Chilean Alfalfa Germplasm". Crop Sci. 42 (4): 1291–7. doi:10.2135/cropsci2002.1291.
^ Elrod DA, Beck ML, Kennedy ML (October 1996). "Chromosomal variation in the southern short-tailed shrew (Blarina carolinensis)". Genetica 98 (2): 199–203. doi:10.1007/BF00121367. PMID 8999000.
^ Thales Renato O. de Freitas (1997). "Chromosome polymorphism in Ctenomys minutus (Rodentia-Octodontidae)". Braz. J. Genet. 20 (1). doi:10.1590/S0100-84551997000100001.
^ http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=chromosomal+polymorphism&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Search
^ Understanding Genetics:The 44 Chromosome Man And What He Reveals About Our Genetic Past

&& thank you too.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 05:14 PM

In the rare cases when mutation has been favourable, it has not involved any significant increases to the length of the DNA.

You know everything there is to know about all mutations that have ever occurred?

Or did you mean to qualify that statement in some way?

Are you talking about specific mutations that we have studied and documented?

He's talking about observed mutations. The scientific method does require "observation", correct? Or are scientists allowed to just make up cool stuff and pretend it happened?

Juxtaposing those two questions, linked with 'or', implies to me a false dilemna.

Scientists can extrapolate, and they can make reasoned inferences. This does require some observations, but it does not require that every single facet of a process is directly observed. But you don't need to see a bullet in flight to 'observe' someone shooting a can off a wall. (Though admittedly a radical skeptic might say: Are you sure the bullet didn't miss, and something else knocked the can off the wall? This possibility doesn't make it unreasonable to conclude the person who fired a gun directed at the can almost certainly did shoot the can off the wall.)

So how do we know a mutation has happened? It's been over a decade since I've formally studied this, so my knowledge is both rusty and outdated. In the old days, people would have some evidence that a mutation might have happened (such as new physical qualities not previous observed), and go hunting for it. They might breed the organism, and look for linking of that quality to other known genes, and help them narrow down which chromosome its on. I don't know the details beyond that.

My understanding is that we can also draw inferences regarding when mutations may happen by comparing sequenced genomes of closely related species.

It seems like we are about to enter a new age of cheap sequencing, in which sequencing a genome may be as easy as tagging a migratory bird or growing bacteria in a petri dish. This will eventually give us a massive database of genetic information. We may develop new ways of analyzing this data which can tell us a great deal about the pace and timing of mutation. This may or may not be 'observation' depending on your definition. To take the strictest view of 'observation', we would actually have to catch the exact moment of the mutation and image the dna at the atomic level. This has never happened, and quit possibly never will.

Thank you.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 07:52 AM

Well, it's not EXACTLY a theory, there is evolution happening all around us.
Just look at nature for examples:
They are seeing new behaviours in animals that they have never exhibited before (Monkeys learning to swim so they can eat seeds that have fallen to the bottom of a body of water, and using hot springs for warmth)
There's also physical changes still happening - just use google if you want proof. here, I even did it for you https://www.google.com/search?q=evolution+happening+around+us

I do completely agree with you on this. The only problem I have with current evolutionary theory is they try to use it to explain increased complexity in the DNA.
That is merely an interesting idea, a hypothesis, not even a theory.

Yeah, I can see your point there...
But there are explanations for these things, like that viruses can alter dna...

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 04:17 AM

One of my daughter's friends' mother is a pagan /witch. Him and his friends decided to do a summoning, which he read in one of the mothers' books. All 4 friends saw the demon that appeared. Not a nice end to the story either...dangerous stuff.

Indeed.
Best to not mess with things you don't fully understand.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:51 AM
assaultcube, cube, and sauerbraten are in my tops
I also like Open Arena, and Nexuiz as well as Xonotic.

Hope this list helps get you started :]

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:49 AM

I don't reply to dumb messages. Someone who emails me a "Hi, how are you?" ... yea.. just seems dumb to me. More effort is needed. Just seems useless to write back "good and you". I am obviously ok..if I am online. frustrated

I agree with that... I hate stupid short messages.
I hate one word replies too, so that's a good way to not get a response.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:32 AM
To whomever moved this, thank you.
I wasn't really sure where it should be posted.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:30 AM

Feels like i've swallowed a ton of paper towels. Yeah. Next time I'll be sure to not eat in my sleep. If i ever did. It feels so dry.

Have you tried a little bit of milk?
Should help with that feeling.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:29 AM
The best one I've heard:

"Daaaaaaaaaaamn girl, tell your parents I'm a fan of their work!"

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:27 AM
Edited by 1andOnlyN0rd on Sun 05/06/12 03:27 AM

I only want it cause the infomercial guy is the one that got arrested for being with prostitutes and at the end of the bit he says you can even use it in awkward situations... then they show him 'schticking' his shirt while posing for a mug shot.

Too much quoting going on, I had to clean it up.

Uhm, well, that's not really that awkward...
They should have had him on his knees schticking lint off of his cellmate's pants or something.

That'd be awkward.

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:22 AM
Edited by 1andOnlyN0rd on Sun 05/06/12 03:23 AM

Dude, I'm an insomniac MYSELF. If I knew of anything that could help me sleep easier, I'd have put it in this thread. lol. Do you ever get quite a dry throat with it, too? Just wondered :)

Only if I burn one before I try to sleep...
I don't think that's what you're talking about though :p

Oh Jesus. Never mind. laugh

My name is not Jesus, sheesh.

and I was just kidding, I haven't smoked in almost a year.

BUT, to answer your question...
I was about to say no I don't, and suddenly realised my throat IS in fact dry.
So thank you...

1andOnlyN0rd's photo
Sun 05/06/12 03:22 AM

LoL! Yea...I'm going to pass on the grilled cheese for awhile.

mission accomplished laugh

Previous 1 3