SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Mon 08/03/09 09:34 AM
DEFINATELY an awesome day!!!! I just recieved word that one of my best friends made it safely home from Iraq!!!!! he's been gone since November sooo there are a lot of people really happy right now bigsmile :banana: :banana: :banana:

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Mon 08/03/09 09:04 AM
This is the first short story I've written since my early teens I quit after being told I had no talent and would never get anywhere with anything I write. Recently I wrote an E-mail to my favorite author- Anne Rice about how much I admired her work and to my suprise I got a few back from her telling me never to let my critics have the decision as to whether or not I should write publishers told her she'd never make it in the beginning too but now she's HUGE so thanks to her encouragment I've given it another shot though I know it's certainly not the most awesome....

The Porch Swing

Wrapped in the silent cloak of the summer night violet crept down the hall and out the door the tears still faintly visible in her big green eyes why must things be this way? She asked aloud to nothing and no one but the gently chirping indifferent crickets. For a moment she could do nothing but breath in the warm fragrant air wondering at why her aunt is such a heartless tyrant, nothing could ever be done right and at the slightest hint of anger-tinted words there came a force against a delicate cheek which cannot be described but what did all that matter now? Muffled voices poured from the unwatched television no doubt the alcohol had done its work taking comfort in this Violet walked the quiet streets accompanied only by the milky light of the moon ant the twinkling stars that studded an endless night sky.
Within twenty minutes she stopped in front of a little farmhouse with its neatly trimmed lawn and cozy front porch suddenly all the pain and anger was stripped away, quick strides carried her up the six rickety steps and though the hour was late she knocked, Not four minutes later a stocky blonde boy with shocking blue eyes appeared a little sleepy-eyed but delighted to see Violet standing there a gentle smile spread over his thin lips he moved aside for her to enter, almost immediately he was subjected to a near – death vice grip hug once he could breathe again they walked together to the overstuffed comfy white couch. At once he took her delicate hands in his own and brushed a loose strand of jet black silky hair from her face before asking in his usual slightly accented sweet voice “What happened this time?” despite every effort to stop them the tears were pouring down violet’s soft pale cheeks.
After a few shaky breaths she recounted the afternoon which started after her aunt Star returned from God only knows where to Inspect the house as always and of course nothing was clean enough and the paycheck Violet brought from her cashier job was not enough for the precious cigarettes and alcohol so badly needed the barrage of insults pelted Violet like so many physical blows “You miserable child why do I keep you around?” came Star’s thunderous voice. Waves of defeat lapped ceaselessly at Violet’s heart as she walked up the flight of stairs on leaden feet. Sprawled on her old uncomfortable bed silent tears began to fall, surely there must be an end to all this. Now her voice came soft and broken in the sleeping house that belonged to her best friend, Lucas Decalb and as always he listened with quiet patience to the ever-more frequent tales. For a few long moments he just held her close wondering to himself how anyone could be so cruel to someone who meant so very much to him. Quiet sobs filled the tiny room for a few minutes more, Gently he wiped the tears from her eyes and pulled some random cheesy joke from his memory to bring back the smile he so loved to see her wear. Hours passed in this quiet easy manner eventually both gave in to sleep. Violet woke just as the fingertip of dawn touched the sky carefully freeing herself from his embrace she smoothed her rumpled shirt and pulled her fingers through mussed . With mute footsteps she dressed and showered with just enough time to get to work the television still droned on filling the living room with dull blue flickering light and again Violet wondered if her aunt would change her ways.

As always the hours flew by much too fast the journey home seemed only to take seconds from half-opened windows Violet heard the clumsy unsure footsteps and a string of alcohol filled slurred profanities questioning why the laundry had not been ironed. When no answer came fast enough Violet found herself being pulled up the concrete steps, after a moment it all stopped and aunt Star was motionless beer in hand staring blankly at the screen dancing before her. Such is life thought Violet. Soon her chores were complete, dressing in simple jeans and a t-shirt she headed down the stairs and out the door without a sound from her aunt. Lucas was perched on the porch swing wearing jeans and a t-shirt with the usual cartoon character adorning the material. He smiled that boyish smile that unbeknownst to him melted Violet’s heart without fail as soon as he saw her. Butterflies soon invaded her stomach though Violet could hide it well by now their friendship stretched over four years long. Nothing was secret but everything while together was sacred. Before either of them knew it fireflies danced about in the sweet twilight of another ending August day . Lucas stretched his legs and yawned “Want me to walk you home?” Violet smiled, “You’re always the gentleman aren’t you, I would love for you to walk me home” hand in hand they walked the block to Violet’s tiny apartment. They stopped at the front steps and shared a warm hug, Lucas held her at arms length and smiled his crooked smile, “sleep tight tonight, I love you” at that moment nothing else existed for Violet “I love you too” she replied in the softest voice. She waited until he was no longer visible before unwillingly climbing the steps.
Sleep came quickly and Violet dreamt of a home that did not smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke and the list of things that were never done right was not ten miles long. Ah such sweet illusion if only it would become reality. Of course attempts to leave were made but each time her aunt gave a tearful apology insisting Violet was loved, “HOW am I supposed to survive without you?” That was a valid question because Star had been slave to her drink and unable to work and had she not given Violet a home since her parents passed away three years before? Yes this was always the bait used to tow her back and so the cycle continues.
Warm sunlight crawled across the tiny carpeted bedroom sparsely decorated with old furniture
Violet slapped at the alarm clock screaming the fact that it was once again 7am and time to start the day, she showered and dressed quickly then, something on the window caught her gaze, a folded sheet of paper gently flapped in the light breeze filtering through the dismal room. certain that this piece of paper had not been there the night before Violet snatched it up with curious confusion. Neatly scrawled in blue ink were the words porch swing 7 O’clock love Lucas. She stuffed the note in her purse and hurried to work.
All day her thoughts returned to that simple message and why it might have been put there, the hours crawled but finally she stood in front of the little farmhouse and leaning against the doorframe Lucas smiled a half-hearted smile and moved to sit on the swing Violet snuggled beside him sensing something was wrong for awhile everything was small talk. Finally he turned to face her holding tight to both tiny hands as if this meant goodbye, something deep inside her wanted to cry and fear was erupting like a volcano, at last Lucas broke the silence “I’ve decided to fight for my country as my brother did, in three weeks I leave to become a Marine” Everything around them stood still and for a moment the air was much too thick to breathe and a million thoughts all swirled at once as Violet struggled to understand these words that tumbled from his lips and finally though her throat was so tight she felt strangled Violet promised in trembling words to stand beside him always no matter how great the fear. That night they danced for hours in the soft moonlight on a floor of dew-misted grass not uttering anything more of what lay ahead. Everyday in those three weeks was sweet and almost dream-like. Star continued her daily rampage but nothing she did could further wound Violet, she said as much in muted prayers that night as sleep came at last.
Goodbye came all too soon Violet wore the brave mask necessary to keep her promise and silently prayed for the ability to stay composed. Standing in a bustling airport that was much too loud Lucas wrapped his arms tightly around her and pressed a velvet kiss on her cheek, “I won’t be gone long” he assured her with that boyish smile once more, “I’ll miss you everyday and I’ll love you forever” to this Violet could only nod- the tears were coming, sobs where clawing to get out right there but they would not. She sprinted to the parking lot and finally gave in to the tears. What would happen now? Lucas was everything she ever longed for- safety, happiness, warmth, the very definition of the only friend a girl would ever need when the world turned a blind eye to her sorrows. On and on the months slowly turned like an old rusty machine, though letters were exchanged a terrible loneliness infected Violet’s soul. It was now October and each day was growing longer, her aunt Star was becoming more and more unbearable, finally after a lengthy letter to Lucas Violet gathered all her courage after packing the few belongings she acquired, announced that she was leaving enough was enough. Doors slammed and soon the whole block knew of Violet’s bold decision. “GOOD GET OUT YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE BITCH” such was the goodbye of an aunt who never wanted the burden that had taken care of her for years. Without the slightest inkling of where to go Violet looked back at the shabby apartment for the very last time with eyes clouded with tears- she was free at last.
Leaves danced in the cool breeze somewhere nearby a baby cried, A few cars rolled lazily down the darkened street its occupants paying no mind to why such a young woman was wandering alone. Violet was lost in thoughts of the future with only two hundred dollars to her name and everything she still owned in an over-night bag on her shoulder how would things ever get started? Having failed at quelling the mounting panic she walked towards the haven that was Lucas’ house, without hesitation she flung her bag on the wooden swing and sat down, everything seemed ghostly no easy laughter lightened her heart like so many invisible kisses how miserable she felt and after an hour or two dreams beckoned. Whatever was to happen could wait until sunrise. When Violet opened her eyes it was noon for a moment an internal alarm sounded but it was Friday which meant the day belonged to her, It was time to plan suddenly she remembered the old abandoned house she had come across the week before. Hurriedly she ran the three blocks to the spot the two story brick house stood, The poor thing looked like it was going to fall over nobody has cared for this thing in a long time she thought wading through weeds that stood nearly to her knees. Once inside the front door Violet took in the fair sized yet dusty neglected rooms with a lot of work this house held many promises.
A few more months ticked by and the little house was coming along nicely the yard was now neat and the outside of her little house now sported a charming coat of sky blue paint, friends helped to furnish and clean the four cozy rooms, within no time the house had life again. Much to Violet’s relief no one complained about such work being done. When time allowed she wrote to Lucas who was overjoyed and filled with pride because such a move was indeed brave. One day while getting ready to close the store Violet thought she saw the blue dodge that belonged to Lucas. No not yet she thought, it couldn’t be nevertheless something deep inside leapt and quick as she could manage Violet shot out the door and ran the few streets that led her to his door. Sure enough there stood Lucas on the last step beaming as bright as Violet has ever seen, he scooped her up in his arms as if it had been a thousand years since he had done so and plopped her down on the swing. For just an instant nervousness twisted his handsome features. Violet reached out to him but was gently leaned back, In another second Lucas knelt before her with that crooked grin clasping her hand gently, “I was wondering…” he began in a low voice, “If you would be interested in being my wife, no matter where I am I’ll miss you everyday and I’ll love you forever” Try as she might the words just refused to come but Violet gave him a tiny nod as once more silent tears fell, these ones spoke of happiness and a love unlike any she has ever felt before. All that night they spoke in whispers about the days that lay ahead and the love neither of them ever expected to find.

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Tue 07/21/09 06:13 PM

my evening is okay, i hope your friend comes home soon.flowerforyou

thanks i hope so too

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Tue 07/21/09 06:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. flowerforyou

Eventually it'll be over with

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Tue 07/21/09 05:56 PM
How's everyones evening?

Mine isn't the greatest I miss my best friend HORRIBLY and I won't see him until January UGH...one day at a time I guess eventually he'll be home sad2

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Tue 07/21/09 10:48 AM

that one sounds hard to top !!! live music is wonderful when the artist had yet to feel the burn out or just does it because they adore touring and their fans...so who you going to see next???

no idea lol i wanna go to another show though it helped with the stress and erased the fear for a lil while which hasn't happened since before my best friend got deployed

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Tue 07/21/09 07:03 AM
Okay so I just had to share this with you guys because my two best friends are too far away at the moment =( if you don't care or don't know who Rodney Atkins is you needn't comment =) But it was the most awesome concert a first timer could've asked for we sat right at the end of the first row that in itself was AWESOME but after the show it was just amazing no I didn't get his autograph like I was dying to do he had a meeting in his bus with some big shots BUT the lead guitarist came out I ended up with a guitar pick that belonged to Rodney (I can't bend down to grab the stuff they threw to the fans so that's what he gave me) he autographed our fan signs we were given AND he hung out with my dad and I for like ever =) not something I will forget!!!

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Mon 07/20/09 11:34 AM

The Rodney Atkins concert is tonight!!! I can hardly wait lol :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Who the bloody hell is Rodney Atkins?

only the most awesome country singer there is well besides toby keith lol

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Mon 07/20/09 11:30 AM
The Rodney Atkins concert is tonight!!! I can hardly wait lol :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:09 AM

What Kind of venue?
Club, Arena,??
Who else is playing with him?

I am listening to him on You tube, "Watching You"

I have heard it before.
Sounds like it will be fun.

county fair
as far as i know its just him but what do i know lol i've never been to a concert

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Wed 07/15/09 09:00 AM

Ooo smurfy hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Tammy

I definately will!!

LOL that's okay lighthouse he hasnt been around all that long he's the guy that sings if you're goin through hell and watchin you

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:53 AM

Details please.

Who?
Where?
Do you have a date for it?

Rodney Akins
in Indiana
yup i have the best date a girl could have...my best friend

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Wed 07/15/09 08:44 AM
In just 4 days I get to go to my very first concert!!!!!!

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Wed 07/15/09 07:44 AM
awesome morning....very excited kinda nervous too lol

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Fri 07/10/09 12:03 PM
If a good friend jokingly tells you something like "you should listen to me cuz im older and can walk straight (or upright)would you be mad and hurt? I definately am but not sure if i have a right to be on one hand he was joking but on the other friends dont say that and it really wasn't funny part of me wants to be like hey ya know...that hurt but the other part says chill he was joking...what would you do or say?

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Thu 07/09/09 05:49 PM

this thursday sucks lol. no offense to those having a good one.

lol why does it suck?

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Thu 07/09/09 03:14 PM
i hang out here because i'm loved dispite my nerdy tendancies tongue2 welcome to mingle

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Thu 07/09/09 02:25 PM
welcome to mingle flowerforyou

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Thu 07/09/09 01:13 PM
Welcome to mingle

SmurfyPoet292721's photo
Thu 07/09/09 12:44 PM
Or unhappy thursday whichever how's everyone doin today? been a boring slow day on this end lol entertain me =P

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 24 25