Community > Posts By > bibarnes

bibarnes's photo
Tue 06/10/14 03:13 PM
Edited by bibarnes on Tue 06/10/14 03:14 PM

A top Iranian defense official's claim that a U.S. military base in the Indian Ocean is now within missile range served both as a threat to American interests and a revelation that, if true, Tehran has doubled its striking distance.

"In the event of an irrational attack by the U.S., America's military bases will not be safe from our missiles, whether in Bahrain or at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean," the senior official, Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) adviser Mojtaba Zonnour, was quoted as saying to Iran's "Defa Moghadas," or Holy Defense.

The U.S. Navy operates a naval ship and submarine support base, military air base, space-tracking facility at Diego Garcia, an atoll some 1,000 nautical miles off the southern tip of India. If the regime in Tehran really can hit Diego Garcia with its ballistic missiles, it means they have a range of at least 3,100 miles -- more than double current estimates. And the boast came even as Iranian officials were in Switzerland, meeting with their Western counterparts to finalize a nuclear deal.

Zonnour spoke in response to boilerplate U.S. assertions that “all options are on the table,” regarding efforts to force Iran to comply with international efforts to curb its nuclear program. But it was the first time Iran has mentioned Diego Garcia, particularly in the context of a potential missile strike. The base was used to launch sorties into both Iraq and Afghanistan following the 9/11 attacks.

"Diego Garcia is a very critical base in the Indian Ocean," said Claire Lopez, vice president for research and analysis at the Center for Security Policy.

Although Iranian military leaders have often made improbable boasts about their ability to strike at the U.S., Lopez said Zonnour's claim is not so outlandish.

"The Pentagon has more than once issued open-source reports that the Iranian [intercontinental ballistic missiles] would be able to reach the continental U.S. by next year," she noted. "So Diego Garcia may not be such a stretch."

Missile range, coupled with nuclear capability, could make Iran a major threat to its enemies. Western officials accuse the Iranian regime of wanting to maintain a uranium enrichment capability exceeding the limits appropriate for civilian nuclear power stations, while the Iranian regime maintains its program is for peaceful purposes.

U.S. and Iranian officials reconvened in Geneva this week in hopes of breaking the present deadlock regarding a permanent deal with Iran ahead of the July 20 deadline. The P5+1, including the U.S., Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China, agreed on Nov. 24, when the interim deal was announced, to allow for an extension of up to six months if a final deal could not be reached. It was that interim deal that allowed Iran to wriggle out of crippling sanctions imposed by the West.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has already mentioned a possible six-month extension if the deadline passes.

"We hope to reach a final agreement but, if this doesn't happen, then we have no choice but to extend the Geneva deal for six more months while we continue negotiations," Araghchi was quoted as saying by Iran's state news agency IRNA. "It's still too early to judge whether an extension will be needed."

The U.S. raised the possibility of limiting Iran's missile program as part of the talks two months ago, prompting Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei to say it would be "stupid and idiotic" to expect Iran to comply. Subsequently, he ordered that Tehran's defense contractors to increase production of the missiles, according to reports. The U.S. appears to have scrapped the idea of limiting Iran's missile capabilities, with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel stating that the P5+1 is focused only on Iran's nuclear program.

The latest threat, coming even as negotiations proceed, is part of Iran's long history of duplicity, said Lopez.

"They are not negotiating and never have negotiated in good faith," she said. "They are taking us for fools. Their nuke program at home continues apace, and whatever is being said in Geneva is irrelevant."

As for the threat, Lopez said the U.S. should listen.

"It's a little foolish not to take seriously a country that not only continuously threatens genocide against Israel, but the U.S. as well, all while developing the means to carry out the threat," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/10/us-military-base-within-iranian-striking-distance-official-warns/

Yeah, and we have weapons that cam make Iran glow in the dark for the next 1,000 years. Unfortunately they know he have a coward who doesn't stand up to bullies and terrorists and negotiates with them.

This situation should have been handled in 2009-2010 with simple airstrikes that would have crippled their military.

Look at it this way, you have a bully on a school yard how do you deal with it? Do you bribe him and pay him off(like negotiating with terrorists)? No, he will just want more the next day or will be more vicious to get more. Do you go and snitch and go to a teacher? (Like sanctions or going to the UN) No, you get your a$$ beat after school or paint a larger target on your back and better be a fast runner. Or do you stand up to the bully and hit back and show him you mean business? You do the third option because they know you will fight back and will move on to a target they can intimidate, if they are still walking when your done with them that is.

Another Obama failure for the books.

There is another problem. The OompaLoompa head of the state department is an idiot who makes Algore look like Einstein. I am ashamed to be associated with him as a USN Vietnam vet. If (little word big meaning) Iran decides to launch a missile at DG our Obamalama ding dong POTUS and the OompaLoompa will gesticulate and make bombastic speeches about red lines and blame the attack on a uTube video. Where's Ronny when you need him? A lot of folks make fun of GW and his accent and good ole boy attitude but, the enemy knew that he would kick butt and then dare them to try again.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 05/31/14 07:27 AM

they maybe in the same frequency. Try 2 set a lower pointer speed and disabled the enhanced pointer precision setting.

That didn't work as well. The SunOn lithiums that came with the mouse just aren't working. Then tried some zinc batteries (didn't know they still makes these) and that kinda, sorta works other than the pointer being excessively sluggish to move. Then tried some Energizer ultra lithium batteries and the mouse was unresponsive and the pointer was all over the place. Then the final test was some Duracel Pro alkaline batteries and those seem to make the mouse work right. So far that is. Takes two triple "A" batteries. The brand is CASE LOGIC

I use Lithium rechargeable and haven't had any problems. My Bose Noise reducing headset doesn't like rechargeable batteries the noize cancelling stops. Have to use regular Alkaline???? The Lithium batteries have a slightly higher voltage than the others that might be an isue also. I don't know what kind of regulation is used in the mices.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 05/31/14 07:22 AM

You need to create a bootable dvd or usb stick, your boot sector may be corrupted so you'll have to reinstall Windows. If you go to this site: http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool you can download a free microsoft tool that will turn your Windows installation disk into a bootable usb, but you'll need another computer to do that. If you don't have an installation disk then you'll have to buy one. Or if you'd prefer you can download the latest ubuntu release utilizing the instructions found here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

When reinstalling Windows it asks you if you want to keep all your old files during the installation process, just select that option and it will create a file called "Windows.old" on your C drive.

This is what I'd also suggest.

If her computer won't turn on how does she create a boot disk. MS does this all the time. If you are having a problem with an internet connection they give you a website to go to. Duh, that is like saying if your car won't start, drive it to a mechanic.

If you aren't squeamish about opening up the box (usually 2 screws on the back and slide the left panel off). Look for accumulations of dust and/or maybe a mouse nest. Mice will chew wires as will cockroaches. If that is the case you are better of removing your hard drive and looking for a new computer. Egg Head, Tigetr Direct are both good sites nd you can usually find a Mfr refurbished unit for a substantial discount. Mine is 4 years old and is my second refurb from HP. No problems. Go to WalMart and get a can or 2 of canned air to blow out your computer. Radio Shack and bestBuy also. WalMart is less expensive..

bibarnes's photo
Sat 05/31/14 07:09 AM
McAfee's reputation is self promoted. Had a Laptop with McAfee and stopped at a Motel in Laredo headed for NC. Used their wireless and got a virus. So bad I had to completely remove McAfee and loaded Zone Alarm to remove the infected file and protect.

Some companies reps are from their own PR and not the real world. If you want to pay I would recommend Norton.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 05/31/14 07:04 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Sat 05/31/14 07:09 AM
I would not recommend MS for either anti-virus or fire wall. We used both at work. I used Zone Alarm. Never got a virus, worm, trojan etc. Had problems with emails being rejected that I had sent my self from my yahoo account as being a possible hazard. They rejected pictures and then let through some bad stuff.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 05/31/14 07:03 AM
Zone Alarm is a good choice. It include an excellent firewall. You do get occasional requests to upgrade to a paid for version but it is't even weekly.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 05/31/14 07:00 AM
I went and got a GeForce 650 with 2B DDR3 ram. Only $100 on ebay and no shipping. Thanks for the info. Just as an aside the numbering/naming conventions on video cards is annoying. an 8400 is less powerful than a 650 which is less powerful than an 8600 etc. It would be nice if the big mfrs standardized their number system. Even if you go to their web sites they obfuscate.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:53 AM
Any suggestions for an upgrade from a GTX 8400 nVidia that won't break the bank but allow me to play some of the newer GRAW, Call of Duty and Splinter Cell games.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:39 AM
Robert DeNiro by a furlong. His range is way bigger than Al Pacino. Comedy- Stardust, The Family etc. His gangster/tough guy roles are too numerous to remember.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:34 AM
NCIS, Bones, Person of Interest, Sleepy Hollow and Rizzoli and Isles oh yes Grimm.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:32 AM
Princess Bride, Avatar, Hopscotch, Harry Potter (all), Lord of the Rings (3), The Hobbit (2), Soul Surfer, Silent Warrior.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:27 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Mon 04/14/14 08:30 AM
Two Weeks Notice, Sweet Home Alabama, The proposal, Plan B, Notebook, Fools Gold, 50 First dates.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:26 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Mon 04/14/14 08:25 AM

.. I'm about to watch The Hobbit the new one..
. give me a popcorn rating: please.1.....10. 10..being you would pay to see it again.
..ps.. please don't give anything away..:wink:
\I'd give it an 8. Get from YTS less expensie than the theater and you don't have to dress. MW Popcorn way less expensive and you can drink a beer too.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:23 AM
Elysium, Ender's game, Hunger games (both), Gravity, Enemy Mine, Escape Plan, Exam (wierd), Hopscotch (great old movie with Walter Mathau), R.I.P.D., Soul Surfer, The Book of Esther, The Family (hilarious), The Human Race (creepy and wierd),Desolation of Smaug, The Lone ranger (ugh), The Net, The Secret life of alter Mitty (Stick with the original pokita pockita, The way way back, The Most exoctic Marigold Hotel (3 times), Underworld rise of the Lycans, We're the Millers, After Earth (ehh).

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:12 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Mon 04/14/14 08:13 AM
read his(Patterson) Max books. Supposedly for children but real good anyway.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 04/14/14 08:12 AM
You can't go home by L.T. Ryan. A Jack Noble story. He is a little like Jack Reacher but not a loner.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 02/24/14 06:42 PM
Edited by bibarnes on Mon 02/24/14 06:45 PM
No ingredients for alcoholic beverage it's most of the wines from Pindar Winery on th e north fork of Long Island. Non-alcoholic would be Dr Pepper or Mr Pibb. Can't remember the last time I had said wine since I moved to Mexico 5 1/2 years ago.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 02/24/14 06:26 PM
I don't know if this will help or not. If you are a harry Potter fan, remember the line in the Goblet of Fire when Harry is trying to work up the courage to ask Cho to the Yule Ball? His statement to Ron was, "How come they all travel in packs?"

OK seriously now, men are visually attracted. From the picture you are an attractive young woman (Same age as my son). If you aren't getting any attention then maybe you are giving off an aura of being untouchable. With all the sexual harrasment isues going around some men just aren't going to make an overt move for fear of being accused. I'm afraid that teh women's lib movement has also put some cold water on the dating game. It used to be polite to hold a door for a lady, or to stand and offer your seat. Now you are liable to be accused of being sexist. Years ago my mom made the statement that she didn't want equality with men, why should she get a demotion. That was back around 1961.

Good luck.

bibarnes's photo
Mon 01/06/14 09:54 PM
It doesn't look good for today my computer has a disk problem that is going to take a few days to fix. I will do my best

bibarnes's photo
Mon 01/06/14 02:08 PM
Now we're opening up a big can of worms. I think most of our "Christian celebrations" originated when Constantine converted to his form of christianity.

1. Christmas - In all probability Christ was not born in December. The pagan holiday of the winter solstice was replaced by Constantine to celebrate the birth of Christ. It may have been a good idea then, but......

2. Easter - Follows closely with passover. The problem comes up when you look at the original celebration it replaces and that was to the goddess of fertility Ashtar. Guess what the symbol for Ashtar was? If you said egg give yourself a pat on the back. If you notice the similarity in the words Easter and ashtar pat again.

3. Lent - Passover is celebrad with the exclusion of levened bread. This is because during that time in Egypt the Israelites could not leven their bread (no yeast). Constantine decided to add a sacrifice to start 40 days before Easter.

4. Meatless Friday - Haven't got a clue where this came from except that it has been rescinded by one of the popes. Mexico still follows the meatless fridays though.

5. Unmarried Priests - can't blame this one on Constantine. Both Peter and Paul were married. Peter's mother-in-law is mentioned in the Bible and Paul had to have been married to be a part of the Sanhedrin. It came down to money, pure and simple. Married priests in wealthy areas beame wealthy themselves. When they died their estates went to their wives and children. In order to keep that wealth within the church priests were forbidden to wed. If you look back a Papal history you will see that more than one had children. Do as I say not as I do.

All Hallows eve - was and is a wiccan holy day. In Mexico they have the Day of the Dead. In a way it is a realy neat celebration. The family goes to the cemetary and cleans up the grave site for a picnic the following day. Stories are passed down from generation to generation. That is good. The wierd part comes in when you realize they leave food for the dead people the night before. What ever is left over the next day they can eat themselves. In Mexico where I live it is hotter than blazes in April and May. Like mid 90's (30'sC). I am not leaving macaroni salad out all night to eat tomorrow. Something about food poisoning and dysentary just don't seem like things to celebrate.

We too often confuse tradition with God's Will. I would love to see the church revert back to what it was in the days of Peter and Paul. Small groups meeting in homes and reading scripture, praying for the sick and helping the poor. No mortgage on a mega 4,000 seat church or a humongous electric bill. No fund raisers for a new wing or a youth center or roof repair. Just a group of like minded folks seeking God. When the group starts getting too big then break it off and start a new group. If you want to meet with some other groups for a specal time that is fine. I have not seen a church that has not gone from being an organism to an organization with by-laws and elected boards and committees. The definition of a committee is a body with 8 heads and no brain.

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 13 14