Community > Posts By > bibarnes

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 03:13 PM
Most new trucks and busses are now equipped with GPS units to monitor speed, length of stops, location etc. Large trucking companies can even monitor a trucks systems to pick up potential problems. On-Star can do a diagnostic on your car while you drive to work. The technology is there. The problem comes when you try to gain access to those monitoring systems. It could be called hacking. A way to do your part locally would be to take a picture of the truck/bus with the license plate or truck ID visible nd turn it over to the authorities. Just have someone else in the car with you do it or make sure you are stopped.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 09:03 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Sat 11/23/13 09:04 AM
You might as well ask what is better ice cream with apple pie or apple pie with ice cream. Love needs to be more than pheromones. Sometimes we are not lovable. Love has to be a decision and a commitment. Through those times when murder is a thought not just when all is comfy and cozy. Sex is great, but can be used as a weapon or a tool. It should be spontaneous and not a planned event like a party.

Sex without love is called prostitution. Love without sex may be unavoidable due to physical/psychological problem.

In order for "love" to work there must first be respect, then friendship then a relationship. Too many get it backwards.

Honesty is also important. To the ladies, please don't ask questions that a true answer will set you off. "Do these jeans make me look fat?" If you didn't already know the answer you wouldn't ask it in the first place, "no it's your butt that makes the jeans look fat."

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 08:51 AM
Women my age age are way older than I. I have met women younger than me that are older than me. I am healthy active, doctor told me I had the heaqrt of a 40-45 year old. Yeah, I can't do many of the things I used to be able to do and I hav a touch of arthritis in my right thumb. I can still walk 3 Km in to town and back with out gasping for breath. I know 50 year old women who can't do that. I look for a younger woman because I can't find one my age who can keep up. Now I am not going to date someone who is younger than my kids or in one case my oldet grandchild. That smacks of pedophila. So there that is my opinion and like belly buttons everyone has oan and thinks theirs is the cutest.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 08:36 AM

Tent?

Read that post out loud slowly.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 08:30 AM
Fun in a relationship is waaaaay better. The other way is phony. Visiting Disney is fun, but I wouldn't want to live there. Hope that makes sense

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 07:42 AM
Do any of you folks have personal experience with any of the online backup products? I am talking about comapnies like Carbonite and others. I have been trial testing the "top ten". My first impression is, "if these are the top ten the bottom ten must use couriers and file boxes." They mislead as to space available and ability for external drives. A few companies said "extrnal, no problem as long as it is 500GB or less." Why would you have a 500GB external drive with 1.5TB internal? The hidden premium to include an external drive can be as much as 67%. Any ideas? I am starting to lean towards going with a RAID configration and data redundancy. Fire is not a problem or flooding. Robbery is a distant possibility but with 3 large dogs and a very active and lethal vigilante group operating in the area, home robberies have dropped drastically. I think there have been about 12 executions of robbers. Signs left on the bodies saying, "don't rob houses."

Anyway, I got off topic. Please post your experiences, good and bad.
Thanks
Bill

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/23/13 07:28 AM
Many lare comapnies have gone paperless on payroll. I retired from a convenience store chain. We went ompletely paperless and thoe employees without bnk accounts got a pre-paid MC. There pay was added to the card weekly. We didn't get W2 at teh end of year either. Most tax preparers are able to access the on-lin stub with info you provide and if you are a do it your selfer Tubo Tax, for one, also has the ability to download you info into the program.'

Now as to internet service. Strange as it may seem the US is way down the list on availability. The slower speed has some problems just like your dial-up. Many companies write web pages that use particular characteristics of a certain browser. Since they are free it is no big deal to load the one you need for payroll nd only use it for that. I use SlimBrowser and have for over 10 years. It is easy to use, blocks pop-ups and is secure. It uses IE as an engine but is slimmer and faster. It also flies under the hacker radar.

Satelite presents another problem called latency. Skype or any VOIP (voice over internet protocol). there is a noticeable delay in he trip up and back down that causes echos and over speaking. You revert to saying "Over" like back in WWII movies. "Did you get that tank, Over?" "Yes we did over". Annoying. Wireless an be affected by weather just like cell phonesbut usually not as bad. It is line of site though. Check out the company and talk to curent users.

Hope all this babble helped.

bibarnes's photo
Thu 11/21/13 09:41 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Thu 11/21/13 09:41 AM

Lighten up dude, it's sarcasm. I don't see anything wrong with premarital sex. Why? Because I don't. Period. What I do with my vagina is my business.

Please I am not being argumentative. It may be someone elses business also.

BTW I worked for a Bicycle company in Chapel Hill NC and our call center was in Sofia WV. Go to go there twice. Didn't do too much sightseeng but it was pretty.

bibarnes's photo
Thu 11/21/13 09:34 AM
You have only been here for a little over a week. I have been here since June or July and have only come close to a date once. Part of that is my fault since I live in the sticks of Central Mexico and do not have a car. The bus only takes me 1/2 way then it is a 3-4Km walk to the next bus station and then into the more highly populated area. Of course I could try crossing the lake but it would be a 12Km swim. Guess I could look into getting a boat with a small motor.

Funny thing here is that women outnumber men by about 7 to 1. Oh well I have my babies and they don't argue with me. Well the Boxer does, but I don't know what she is saying and if I give her a cookie she is quiet.

These chats help some and my Kindle is great for reading since it is one of my addictions. It doesn't cuddle well though.

Do any of who are owned by animals find yourself talking to them like they can actually understand you? I do it all the time and all the while thinking like Alice that I am going around the twist.

bibarnes's photo
Thu 11/21/13 08:32 AM

A local pastor got up one Sunday morning in early spring and saw that the weather outside was just absolutely perfect. This was after months of wet, cold wintry weather mixes of snow, freezing rain and sleet. After a short time of contemplation he decided he would call his associate pastor and have him do the service. He told him he was not feeling well. he got up and dressed in his golf clothes, got his clubs and headed out of town for a course far enough away that he would not run into anyone he knew.

On the first hole he hit a long straight drive that put him within feet of the hole and he sunk the putt with a 2 under par. On the second hole he did much the same thing. By the end of the front nine he was shooting an amazing 8 under par. On the 10Th hole he hit a curving shot around the dogleg and discovered he had made a hole in one. By the end of 18 holes he had a score of 54 with 2 holes in one.

Meanwhile in heaven one of the angels leaned over to God and asked "Why did you allow him to shoot such an amazing game when he lied to play?" God smiled and answered, "Yes he did, but who can he tell?"

bibarnes's photo
Wed 11/20/13 11:52 AM
Edited by bibarnes on Wed 11/20/13 11:53 AM
I have been in the High Tech business since the Navy sent me to Electronics school in 1961. All aspects from design, bench tests installs, field rep and the last 20 years programming. One thing I learned was that the customer was the boss. Period, end of conversation. If I dreamt up a new program or a new twist for an eiting program I went to the users and discussed it with them. If they didn't like it it didn't get started. then they were involved with all aspects from concept to design to ddevelopment nd testing and to implementation. At roll out they had an ownership part in the project. Now the "Wunderkinds" get an idea and run with it and then shove it down our throats. Take the recnt debacle with Yahoo. It stinks I have neither seen nor hear much good out of it. It looks pretty and has cute sayings (Oh aren't you neat ther is nothing in your trash folder) or something like that. In order to see your personal folders you now have to click on the folders tab and then your inbox goes away.

I have been lookinig at off-line storage. Of the top ten I haven't found one that doesn't hide part of the truth. "Oh yes we back up external drives". Then you start the trial period of 15 days and you are told that your extrnal HD will only be backed up if you fork over cash. Carbonite puts a 60% penalty for an external HD. Others prorate depending on size. If it is 500GB or less it is cheap. Over that it is bank loan time. Why in the name of all good sense would I put a 500GB external drive on a system that has 1.5TB internally?

If I had the money to start an off line storage site I could put all of the others out of business. Customer service would be US Based. West Virginia is a good place and I have used then before and they all speak American English. No more trying to undestand Sajeed Punarabadatee explain that you made a mistake.

Funny thing when the company I worked for decided to outsource customer service they did listen to their customers. They found that by moving to a little place called Sofia WV it cost them less in phone charges and salaries were lower than in NC. All in all it was a wash with moving to India. It was also easier for me to tavel to Sofia to implement a fix and change that suited our customer reps. (3 hour drive Vs 14 hours on a plane).

To any of you who are currently coding. Listen to your customers and users. Make suggestions and listen to feedback. Yes you are going to get some hairbrained responses but, you will also get a flavor of what is going on. Don't use other wunderkinds for your beta sites. Use normal people. Those of us that are retired have the time to try and break things ann to really look and see if your idea is worth the effort. We also aren't afraid of losing a job iff we piss you off.

One thing I never mastered was being able to touch type. So please excuse typos.

bibarnes's photo
Wed 11/20/13 11:31 AM

Actually for gaming its got to do with the VGA as well but normally AMD have a higher VGA( Dedicated video memory) than the Intel. if I were u I will go for the AMD. Its gaming graphics are way better than the intel.

thnx 4 ur rply.. bt sir i ve heard dat AMD Phenm 2 X965 has overheatin problem s compard 2 Intel Q9650..

well said but Intel too overheats with age

You can avoid the age related over heating by taking the heat sink off the cpu and cleaning both the cpu top and he heat sink nbottomand putting a new coat of the gel on and then put the heat sink back on. Also make sure the cooling vanes aren't clogged. For laptop users it is a good idea to have hem cleaned at least once per year. This is especially important if you live in a climate that has a definite rainy and dry season. the dry season cause a lot of dust an then the we seaon turns it into a cheap clogging cement. the cost of cleaning is way less than the cost of a new laptop or HD.

bibarnes's photo
Sun 11/17/13 08:31 PM
This is true. In the earlier days of automobile manufacturing and the beginning of affirmative action a woman was hired at a GM plant as a laborer who attached a chain to transmissions so they could be moved to the assembly line. She filed a grievance because the job title had always been "Hooker". This was in a paper about 10 years ago.

bibarnes's photo
Sun 11/17/13 08:11 PM

DISCLAIMER: This is not to be divisive, Im tired of divisiveness per se, either side can use their own poltical label in the joke and it still works, describing the historical trend of the 'blame game' in politics

From Crooks and Liars:

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

"She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be an Obama Democrat."

"I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct. But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Republican."

"I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow, now it's my fault."

Good one and it isn't divisive both sides of the aisle got nicked. I may steal this one.

bibarnes's photo
Sun 11/17/13 08:08 PM

For comedy actors-

Abbott & Costello
Jerry Lewis
Peter Sellers
Don Knotts
Gene Wilder
Simon Pegg
Nick Frost
Steve Martin (any of his stuff from the 80's)
Lucille Ball
Jennifer Saunders
Carol Burnett
Jack Lemmon
Bill Murray (Before he became a "serious" actor)

I'm with you. I would add Jackie Mason to the list also. The older comedians were funny without being vulgar. Jackie Mason said "when a comedian gets into vulgarity it means they don't have anymore good material." Oh yeah Jeff Foxworthy too. I saw Bill Coby live years ago at the old madison Square garden. he was hilarious and clean. My side hurt from laughing.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/16/13 04:04 PM
Edited by bibarnes on Sat 11/16/13 04:05 PM

There is a time and a place for everything. I find preaching to the choir is counter productive as is preaching to someone that has not ask to hear your views on it. I have always believed you live your life in such a way that it serves as a motivation to hear God's words and create teachable moments. Maybe I am not a perfected Bible student but I remember no time in the bible that Jesus ever forced his views on anyone.

Absolutely correct. Although the last chapter in Matthew tells us to spread the Gospel to the whole world. I would add sometimes you may have to use words :-)

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/16/13 03:53 PM
Edited by bibarnes on Sat 11/16/13 03:54 PM

When it comes to the used undie biz. The thing I think is odd is knowing that I think it's in Japan they have vending machines where they sell them. I wonder if they put an expiration date on them. hahaha

It'd be hilarious if men bought them, thinking they had been worn by women, and it turned out that other men had had them on instead.pitchfork

This is a true story. One of those phone in and talk to a beautiful woman 900 lines had a problem with a speaker and fired that person. Turned out it was a guy who could sound like a woman and claimed in a suit that he was being discimnated against because he was a man. I had to read the news article twice to make sure of what I read the first time.

Now that said, is there any chance that some of the "women" here are actually men and vice versa? That is a possibility. I know one match I had a while ago and we did a video Skype. The chemistry wasn't there and we parted friends, but I know she is a woamn and she knows I am a man.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/16/13 03:44 PM

I think this is more of a facebook lite than a real dating site.

I know right! that's sorta my conclusion as well! and I say that because you get to a point and have mutual matches....but then that's it..it's oh I wanna meet you, and oh I wanaa meet you too... then u don't hear anything from that person again.. im like ok??...soo u just wanted me to do what? put u on my friends list, or meet me list (or whatever its called).

its almost like whats the point, because nobody seems to be taking DATING seriously..thats supposed to be the point of the site correct?
but it doesn't feel like that. just feels like a place to join in on community conversations..which is what facebook is.. spock
I'm laughing loud,hahahaha.I totally agree with you.I've long forgotten about finding anybody or whatever in mingle2.I just go to the forum and chat.Most women here are either not serious about relationship or are extremely selective & race conscious.Anyway,i hv good friends here

Are these friends you have sat down across a table from, or across the internet? I have people I speak with on Pogo. Are they friends? No. Would I lend them money? No. My neighbors are friends I wold lend them money, time and tears if needed. I can hold their hands and look in their eyes. To me that is a friend. Texting back and forth with someone over 1,000 miles away is interesting. My longest distance chat ws exactly 1/2 way around the world to a person in Hong Kong. Haven't heard from them in years and can't remember the name.

bibarnes's photo
Sat 11/16/13 03:31 PM
I didn't make myself clear. I am an expat and have no "animosity towards expats". I was quoting what I have heard the female expats say. There is a jealousy, for want of a better word, from the expat (read gringa) ladies towards the latino women because so many of the men prefer the Latino women to the American and Canadian. I don't care if you are green with purple stripes. If you like walking, movies, reading, dogs, and riding quads, and live within a reasonable distance then I want to meet you.

bibarnes's photo
Wed 11/13/13 03:13 PM

Also, who cares if people reply or not? Enjoy the journey. I don't give a damn if anyone responds to me or not, but I think I ought to expand my social horizons so I'm giving it a try.

Plus, I already enjoy a strong social circle outside the internets, thankfully. It prevents runaway emotions from getting the best of you on these sites, believe me.

Another smarty pants twenty-ager lol. What do they feed young ppl these days? They get wise before they're 30!
In other words you're spot on

Off topic, sightly. I visited Holland back in 1963 when I was in the Navy. Loved it except for the cold, it was late September. Tied up in Haven Park near a large statue dedicated to the resitance during WWII. Fascinated by the beautiful tugs going past each day. I can see from your age that it isn't you I have a picture of, but she could be your Mom. Her father was an Admiral in the Dutch navy.