Community > Posts By > JohnDavidDavid

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 09/01/13 09:31 PM
Of course looks are important but in reality a poor personality or "ugly" on the inside will supersede a cute face or body. Looks are important but they are not more important than a chitty personality.

Both appearance and personal characteristics are important. If people did not value appearance, photos would be irrelevant -- but they all but required.

Looks without substance may be sufficient for "arm candy" but are not to be taken seriously (as I have learned through experience). However, substance without some reasonable physical appeal is no better (personal experience again).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 09/01/13 09:06 PM
Female profiles often indicate "BBW" or "A few extra pounds", which suggest being above average. However, the "average adult US woman" is 5'4" and 165 pounds with a Body Mass Index of 28.5 (and the "average adult US man" is 5'9" and 194 pounds with a BMI of 28.8). A BMI of 25 is considered overweight and 30 is classified as obese.

Is this a hindrance in finding a date or a mate?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 08/28/13 08:47 PM
right ...I love folk who ask for advice and then just wanna argue when they get it

There was no request for advice in what I wrote -- and nothing said should have made anyone feel defensive (or authoritative).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 08/28/13 07:35 PM

of course communication is important but when you send a couple of paragraphs???? sheesh no one opens a real life conversation that way!!! I doubt many want to read all that from some stranger on the internet who has no head.

Yes, a slow reader might be overwhelmed when confronted with seventy-five or a hundred words (same as this reply). If that is their ability level, I am decidedly not interested.

Why should an Internet conversation start as though it was an in-person contact? When people are "strangers on the Internet", is it not appropriate to give some introductory information or mention shared interests or values?

If one happened to click on the "no head" thumbnail they would encounter a profile with photo that is more complete than the website cropping in threads.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 08/28/13 06:52 PM
I just looked at your profile..something I hardly ever do, and you are not the young man I thought you were..sounds to me like you just want to be left to your own devices..and I sure don't blame you..I do also, only difference is I don't want to generalize the men I meet, even knowing that that meeting is going no where. I've always been a solitary person...and I much prefer it that way. Good luck in your lifestyle..at 73 you've earned it.

I don't "generalize" either; however, experience and statistical data indicate that the probability of encountering a woman who is in good physical condition (let alone intelligent and personable) is not great.

The few "age appropriate" women who might otherwise be interesting are often looking for a "god fearing man", someone to dote upon their grandchildren or their pets, someone to take them dancing or out for "fine dining" . . . . Some women a decade or two younger might be appropriate if they are not age-fixated.

But, as I said, life is good and I am content without struggling to find a "match" or a "mate."

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 08/28/13 05:52 PM
If a profile is interesting I usually send an introductory message with a couple paragraphs identifying interests and values that we seem to have in common, and inviting further exploration if she is interested.

Replies are infrequent and are typically disappointing; suggesting that someone skipped too many English classes (or just doesn't care).

I VERY seldom receive an introductory message from a woman – just "winks", "flirts" or other automated responses. Perhaps communication is no longer considered important?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 08/27/13 06:56 PM
We often see the admonition "look for the beauty on the inside, not the outside" but then almost everyone wants to see photographs. Doesn't this indicate that appearance IS important to us?

If we are honest with ourselves and others, we acknowledge that a person's appearance is significant to us. We "judge" (or evaluate) a great deal based on physical appearance – from body form to posture to body language and beyond.

Those who do not post a photograph may have good reason – perhaps because they do not want to be identifiable as searching for a date or mate. They could be just bashful or they may be in a "sensitive" employment situation – or they could be cheating on an existing relationship. Take your pick.

Maybe they are just new to the scene and don't realize that lack of a photo greatly reduces interest and responses. Even "bathroom mirror selfies" are better than nothing – but decent snapshots or portraits are more appealing.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 08/27/13 05:30 PM
I am single / partner-free after being married all my adult life (not to the same woman) for a damn good reason; I have discovered over the past couple years that I LIKE it that way. Not many women fit well into my preferred lifestyle – rural, private, physically active (some might say obsessively so), mentally very active.

Since I have no interest in religion, juveniles, pets, dancing, cruising, fine dining, geriatric or sedentary pursuits, etc there is little commonality with most women. When I add that I am not physically attracted to heavyset women, there is almost no one left.

If a highly compatible woman was to appear I would be amazed and would be open to whatever developed naturally over time. But I'm not holding my breath waiting – and am quite content as things are presently.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 08/27/13 03:27 PM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Tue 08/27/13 03:31 PM
sounds like an oxymoron to me, especially since you said age was immaterial..Love the way younger people almost always have preconceived ideas. But Older people do also..they know one or two people that fits the bill they have in their minds, so think all of them do.

Yes, humans tend to have preconceived ideas.

Notice that my statement "age is immaterial" is immediately followed by "However, mental, physical and personal condition is all important."

Thus; age is set apart from mental, physical and personal characteristics.

Yes, some people of either gender avoid fitting the age stereotype – but not many from what I observe.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 08/27/13 10:40 AM
To me, age is immaterial – hers or mine. However, mental, physical and personal condition is all important.

When people reach "middle age" many let themselves go to pot (literally), curtail strenuous or "dangerous" activities (such as canoeing), and take on geriatric interests and characteristics. Focus often shifts away from active lifestyle to emphasize leisure / relaxation and vicarious activities (watching others) or entertainment.

Pets often become the center of life (and perhaps pseudo children). Health issues (often self-imposed presently or historically) become a major concern. Learning new things is often regarded as distasteful. Unfortunate baggage from past relationships or circumstances can intrude into present or future relationships.

Of course, younger people often exhibit similar characteristics, but they seem to amplify with age.

1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 Next