Community > Posts By > JohnDavidDavid

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 12/23/13 06:56 PM
Tens of thousands of religions, cults, sect, denominations, etc worshiping (and/or fearing, loving, hating, inventing) THOUSANDS of proposed "gods."

If one of the proposed "gods" was real, a person has half a percent chance of guessing the right one (in a minimum of 2000 listed). Yet almost all worshipers are absolutely convinced that their "god" is real and all others are "false gods." The irony . . . . the bigotry . . . .

Professional religionists (any whose income is derived partially or wholly from religious services) and organized / commercial religions (any who accumulate wealth, including palaces of worship) prosper by convincing customers (known as parishioners, "the faithful", or other euphemistic terms) to support the religious establishment and hierarchy.

Religious promotion is similar to any other commercial promotional activity – create a "need", offer a "solution", and emphasize product differentiation ("our in-group is superior to others, we are special, we're going to heaven and they are going to hell, etc"). This, of course, results in divisiveness, distance, distrust, disrespect – and often suspicion, hostility, conflict and even warfare.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 12/22/13 09:11 PM
. . . when times are tough....what do you hold onto in your darkest hours?

What do you believe in ? What gets you through the dark times?

As a Non-Theist I have never encountered a situation that even suggested the need to believe in "a higher power" or a "god."

When life presents challenges I rely on myself in dealing with circumstances, whatever they may be (and have for over seventy years).

I see no reason to "hold onto" a supernatural being that cannot be shown to be anything more than the product of human imagination and wishful thinking. However, I realize that many people take comfort in "turning to god" in times of adversity or difficulty. Perhaps we have differences in need for "comfort" or "support?"

"Believe in" does not apply. I live in the real world that does not require "belief." I do not make up or accept fanciful stories or theories to "explain" what is not known. For example, I do not hesitate to say "I don't know how the universe originated or how life began -- and neither does anyone else -- and such knowledge is not required to live successfully in the real world."

I acknowledge the December ("Winter") Solstice and purchase a new calendar. Festivities, "Christmas shopping", and overeating are of no interest to me. Life is good all year -- with no emphasis on season.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 12/20/13 04:32 PM
I retired from "the best job in the world" at age forty -- thirty four years ago. My income is so low that most pay more in interest and/or taxes per year than it takes for me to live comfortably.

Part of my "secret" is to pay attention to outflow rather than income -- avoid paying retail prices -- NEVER pay interest -- do not support expensive tastes or habits (yours or anyone else's) -- don't try to impress anyone (self included) with wealth or possessions -- do not allow advertisers to influence decisions.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 12/20/13 04:12 PM
It appears to me as though what is now "diagnosed" (and often medicated) as ADD is what was once described as "bored" and "inattentive."

It also appears as though our entertainment-centered culture encourages this by its "quick-flip" between scenes and its rapid action. In real life, things don't conclude or even change much in the time frames presented by television and movies. Thus, real life is often viewed as "boring" and too slow-paced for the entertainment generations.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/19/13 10:11 PM
And yet you frequent the general religion board so often John. But maybe you, like me, enjoy the thrill of debating people who haven't given due diligence to their research.

Mark,

I enjoy debating several topics including religion. In my experience most religionists are NOT very well informed about religion in general or even the basics and history of their chosen belief system (beyond dogma).

Most seem to have adopted a religion that is popular in their culture and accept "on faith" what they are told or what they read -- without giving serious consideration to truth, accuracy, applicability or alternatives.

Christians I have debated have usually been poorly or incorrectly informed about how the bible came into existence or how Christianity became a dominant religion (by being selected as the official religion of the Roman empire -- or why that occurred).

Most may know the stories and some favorite verses, but seem unaware that those stories were written decades or generations after the claimed events or conversations -- by people whose identity is unknown (beyond assigned names, Mathew, Mark, etc) and who cannot be shown to have witnessed what they write about -- and their sources of information are equally unknown.

Testimonials, particularly if they are ancient, seem to convince many that the writer had special knowledge of "gods" or supernaturalism.

It is surprising how often Pascal's Wager is offered as a "Killer Argument" in spite of it's glaring flaws.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/19/13 12:07 PM
If religion did not fill some common human need it doesn't seem as though it would be so persistent over time and population.

Perhaps people "choose" one of the religions or belief systems that fills their "need." For instance, we "choose" to eat when we experience the need known as hunger.

I "choose" Non-Theism because I do not fear of death (preferably well into the future). I look for answers to the "unknown" in the real world and am not hesitant to accept "I just don't know" when answers are elusive. I decidedly do NOT want structure imposed by others (particularly by preachers, politicians or public consensus -- but decide what I think best under the circumstances (based partially on wide reading of great thinkers of the past and present and primarily upon my own decisions -- for which I take full responsibility).

My life has great "meaning" without linking that somehow to a deity or supernatural spirit (or karma, the universe, friendly spirits or whatever). I damn sure don't aspire to fame and fortune through becoming a guru or preacher or "leader" to others.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/19/13 08:47 AM

Since religion or spiritual beliefs have been part of human society for thousands of years by billions of people, it must fill certain human “needs.” It doesn't seem to matter what “gods”, beliefs or practices – as long as some supernatural force is recognized.

Can we identify those needs that account for the prevalence of religious beliefs? I'll start with a few basic ideas.

1. Explain the unknown: It seems to make little difference whether the explanation is correct or even rational, as long as there is some answer to “why” or “how” things exist or occur. Spirits, gods, or sins can be evoked to account for droughts, storms, illness, etc (and thereby relieve the necessity of seeking a true explanation or cause and effect relationship).

2. Allay fear of death: with proposal of a “soul” (or something else) that continues to exist after a person dies – and a promise of “everlasting life”, or heaven, or reincarnation, etc. It doesn't seem to matter if the proposed “afterlife” is true or not as long as it is believed.

3. Provide structure: Many or most prefer a set of rules to follow. If a “god” can be visualized as the origin of a code of conduct, individuals and societies can simply follow (or expand) the rules without need for decisions about right and wrong.

4. Priest class: Individuals can gain influence (and possible wealth) by identifying themselves as “representatives of god” or some variation of that claim. All that is required is that they convince others that they have some special knowledge of or relationship with a supernatural being or force.

5. Give life “meaning”: (Perhaps someone can expand on this?)

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/12/13 09:04 PM
So he pretended to receive instruction directly from god. That way everybody hung on his every word.

Millions of others also claim to "receive instruction directly" from one of the thousands of proposed "gods" and convince people to "hang on their every word."

Perhaps some of the "inspired" are good people who have had a psychological / mystical / emotional experience and actually think they know what one of the "gods" wants for or from humans (from worship to sacrifice to bodily mutilation, etc). Perhaps some are charlatans and con artists who lust for wealth and power.

A few of the ideas transmitted by "religious leaders" may be beneficial to individuals or societies -- but many are pure nonsense. Sorting the beneficial from the nonsense can be difficult, particularly for those who have been convinced or indoctrinated to believe that their chosen religion and its "god(s)" have the answers to human questions, problems, difficulties, etc.

Many are comfortable living within a religious frame that provides structure and relieves them of responsibility for making decisions based on experience, intelligence and reasoning.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/12/13 08:01 PM
Congratulations to you for being self-aware and open, and to your husband for being accepting.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/12/13 07:57 PM
I think too many people define themselves and others by their jobs.

Yes, to nearly everyone the question "What do you do?" refers to occupation or alternatives to having a JOB.

Whether or not asking that question is a conversation-killer depends on the person asked. Some have interesting occupations or sources of income while others may have neither.

In some ways, a person's occupation indicates their social /economic positions and "status" -- which might be important to some inquirers.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sat 12/07/13 08:14 AM
A couple years ago I met in person a woman after communicating through one of the dating sites. She was ten years older and thirty pounds heavier than she had led me to believe. Her photo was her alright – but must have been taken a few (or many) years previously.

I concluded that in addition to being older and heavier than claimed, she was also unworthy of trust -- not a likely beginning of a relationship.

Not long ago a site suggested a "match" -- her again -- same photo.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 12/06/13 12:11 PM
Here in west central Arkansas we appear to have "dodged the bullet" with the ice storm that hammered others. There was some rain, freezing rain, light ice, and a bit of snow. Temperature is in the twenties mid-afternoon and is predicted to be near ten tonight.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/05/13 07:25 PM

jesus walked on water

The "walked on water" claim is made for Jesus and for many other "gods" and "godmen" of that era.

There is no evidence that any of the claims were true or that humans (or "gods") are capable of defying physics / gravity to actually do such thing.

for what we know right now, your 100% right... buit it is not out of the realm of possibilities...

Of course, NOTHING is "out of the realm of possibilities" -- and nothing is out of the realm of imagination (or folklore, legend, fable, etc).

It is POSSIBLE that one or more of the thousands of "gods" actually exist. All that is lacking is evidence, verification, substantiation (beyond unverifiable stories, opinions, testimonials).

In the absence of evidence many people choose to believe and have "faith" that the stories are true regarding their favorite "god(s)" -- while concluding that all others are false.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/05/13 07:17 PM
Even if I did show you that I could walk on water
You still wouldn't believe.

you walk on water, i'll believe...

I second that.

If you SAY you did so or if someone writes a story about you doing so that is NOT the same as actually walking on water.

There are TALES of various people or some "gods" or "godmen" (among the thousands worshiped, feared, loved, hated, proposed by humans) walking on water (predating Christianity). The "evidence" cited is the tale itself.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/05/13 04:16 PM
jesus walked on water

The "walked on water" claim is made for Jesus and for many other "gods" and "godmen" of that era.

There is no evidence that any of the claims were true or that humans (or "gods") are capable of defying physics / gravity to actually do such thing.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/05/13 01:32 PM
The bible is 100% scientifically accurate. Those who would say otherwise are being ignorant or just plain outright lieing!

"One hundred percent accurate" means absolutely NO errors. Right?

If one or ten or a hundred biblical errors can be pointed out (such as the mustard seed is NOT the smallest of seeds and mustard plants do not grow into trees -- as any "god" should know), would you be willing to acknowledge that your claim is false?

Scholars and theologians realize that the writings which became known as the bible were made over centuries by MANY different writers, the identity of most of whom is unknown. For instance, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John are ASSIGNED names and do not identify the actual writers.

The sources of information used by those largely anonymous religious writers cannot be determined and their accuracy cannot be verified. What can honestly be said is that what was written was likely to be someone's OPINION or belief -- not necessarily factually or historically accurate.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 12/05/13 11:48 AM
Scamming is not gender specific (or color or age or location).

Anyone who sends "money for love" should regard it as a donation to the scammer.

I announce, sometimes in profile, that "funds are dispersed on the second Tuesday of each week after receipt of 501(c) certification."

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 12/03/13 03:45 PM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Tue 12/03/13 03:46 PM
It has been thirty years since I bought anyone a Christmas gift. The whole obligatory occasion gifting tradition seems extremely silly to me. When I want someone to have something, I give it to them without consulting a calendar.

Half the US population went shopping since Thanksgiving and spent 57 BILLION dollars (much probably borrowed or "��charged"��). Perhaps they have lost sight of what they are celebrating?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 12/02/13 11:08 AM
One is often advised to look for inner beauty and de-emphasize outward appearance. This raises questions:

What, exactly, is inner beauty?

To whom is it observable?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 12/01/13 02:31 PM
It might be prudent to check reports and reviews with an Internet search