Community > Posts By > JohnDavidDavid

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 01/26/14 05:08 PM
I would imagine if they're setting those restrictions, they're talking about more than friends.

Agreed -- or some might confuse what is required of friends vs. what is required for coupledom.

When I see that in a profile (which is surprisingly often), no matter how appealing it might be otherwise, that is as far as I read

But, do all ladies think this way? Of course not.

Agreed -- thankfully

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 01/26/14 03:01 PM
Maybe we should use "Robert's Rules of Order"

Perhaps it would be appropriate to use REASONING. To say "If you don't accept my position you must then provide an alternative explanation" is irrational.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 01/26/14 02:50 PM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Sun 01/26/14 02:51 PM
What's wrong with their kids or dog or god that a guy would have to love those things to date them? I've got a dog but I don't need to ask women if they love them.

Good point. If the animals and offspring are pleasant and likeable, there is no need to demand "love them."

On the other hand:

Humm well since my kids are adults now and have kids if they don't like kids then they must not have any of their own. Or either don't like them...

Why be judgmental about the issue?

Is it critical that friends "love" your kids or grandchildren? Will you be taking them along for chaperones? Do you require that friends interact with your family?

As far as the dog well I have a Cocker Spaniel and if they don't like dogs then it could be a downer since my dog is a inside dog and very spoiled...

Will you be taking the dog along too?

As far as God I don't judged what one believes in or not believe in...

Good point -- many ladies seem to require that a man be "god fearing"

But.....I assure you if they can't get along with my kids or my dog then most likely they are heartless and need to move on....

You imply that unless they "get along with" your kids and dog they are "heartless."

That seems like a rather narrow and exaggerated use of the term "heartless" which is defined as: A person that doesn't care what they do to hurt someone, or Devoid of compassion or feeling; pitiless, or unfeeling; unkind; unsympathetic; harsh; cruel.

Is it "heartless" to have no desire to interact with a spoiled dog (or spoiled children when that is the case)? If a woman did not care for my offspring --�� which is not an issue (or animals if there were any), should that eliminate her from friendship, companionship, spending pleasant time together?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sun 01/26/14 07:50 AM
Ladies, is it really necessary for a man to "love dogs, kids and god" to be your friend?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sat 01/25/14 05:47 PM
I have friends in their 40s struggling to get jobs because of their age.

People of all ages are often struggling to find jobs. If I am not mistaken, the younger age brackets have the highest unemployment rates. If so factors other than age must be involved.

Often getting a job is a matter of having marketable skills -- skills that employers need. Having low-demand skills is of limited value and just being a warm body doesn't qualify for many positions.

For instance, a friend who owns a large machine shop and is a significant local employer has unfilled positions because most who seek employment simply do not have the skills needed to run the machines (and he only needs a few people for unskilled tasks). The jobs are there, the skills are not.

I think its more that guys my age like the eye candy and really who can blame them? They like the younger, thinner, and beautiful 20 year olds. Lets face it these women are beautiful and men are very visual creatures.

As the decades pass more and more people become our "younger competition." It may be tempting to consider attractive young women "eye candy" – ignoring the fact that the thirty year old can also be a university professor, a commercial pilot, an engineer, an attorney, etc, etc (i.e., much more than just attractive).

Beauty is not restricted to the young – as indicated by http://www.stylebistro.com/The+50+Most+Beautiful+Women+Over+50

Likewise, "thinner" is not restricted to youth. Weight control is possible at any age; however, many people put on the pounds with increasing age. I am particularly conscious of this, being a lifetime fitness enthusiast, and managing my own weight / body composition regardless of age. It might not be surprising that I am not physically attracted to heavyset and out-of-shape women (personal preference).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sat 01/25/14 04:13 PM
Life has convinced me to feel that way.

Condolences

Companies don't want to hire people in their 50s as we are considered old but I lucked in with a connection and squeaked in at a great job.

Evidently the corporate attitudes did not preclude getting a great job . . .

Men want younger women here where I live and I refuse to date a younger man so dating is history.

To some of us YOU are a "younger woman" (the same age as my daughter). Of course, many younger women refuse to associate with "older" men (even as friends). Perhaps it is a matter of perspective and opinion.

In my experience many people of either gender consign themselves to the "older" category at some arbitrary age, be that thirty, forty, fifty or whatever – and begin thinking of themselves as old and acting old. And, sure enough, they are old.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sat 01/25/14 03:45 PM
It is a common tactic in parlor (uninformed) "debate" to take the position, "If you don't accept my position you must then provide an alternative explanation." There is no such requirement in reasoned discussion or debate.

What is so difficult about simply and honestly admitting "I don't know how the universe originated or how life began"?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sat 01/25/14 03:39 PM
A Lilly tell me how It Began? Simple scientific experiment.

NO ONE KNOWS "how it began." There are many theories, some religious, some scientific, some totally fanciful (or a combination of these).

Those who read the opinions of others (who do not know either) and conclude that NOW I KNOW are gullible (in my opinion).

Demanding or requesting that someone tell "how it began" (if they do not accept your opinion) assumes that the information is available. It is not -- nothing more than theories, opinions, hearsay, conjecture and/or fanciful and wishful thinking.

Life in the real world we inhabit does NOT require that we know "how it began." We can live happily, peacefully, productively and satisfyingly without demanding that information.

Some propose that one must believe that a favored "god" was responsible and that they must worship the "god" to find favor in an "afterlife." However, that is all conjecture that cannot be shown to be anything more than human imagination.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Sat 01/25/14 03:22 PM
How did you feel when you turned 40 (men)

When I turned forty I decided that it was time to retire from "the best job in the world" and do more interesting and challenging things.

Thirty five years later I can say with confidence that is the best decision I ever made.

If someone had told me decades ago that life would be wonderful at seventy plus I would have questioned their judgment. Had they said I would thoroughly enjoy NOT having a partner-in-residence, I would have considered them totally nuts.

I didn't feel anything at 30 as it was just a number; even 40 but now being 50; I am extremely depressed about being so old. I hate being half a century old. I feel like at my age, dating is pretty well over and any chance of getting a decent job is hindered by your age. Not much to look forward to.

"So old" -- at fifty? WOW. No one convinced me to feel that way at any age.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 01/24/14 07:00 PM
. . . haven't you seen or read Lord of the flies? That was about kids that had wars and even killed each other.

That was fiction though.

Fiction, fantasy, fables, folklore, legends, etc are of little or no interest to me.

Many maintain that they learn from all the above -- and perhaps they do learn things of value??? However, I prefer to learn from the actual world I inhabit rather than from fanciful stories made up by others.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 01/24/14 04:17 PM

Not just the spectators but the contestants as well.

Evidently the same thing happens during wars -- both sides sometimes praying to the same "god" for victory.

How do you suppose the "god" decides which side to favor? Is it based on which one prays the most earnestly or which represents the most religious society?

If the combatants pray to different "gods" does the strongest "god" provide victory for "his" side?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 01/24/14 03:34 PM
also, Easter bunny and Santa are what adults tell to kids, who grow up to be adults telling it to kids, and so on

That is similar to religion that adults (and "priests", "prophets" and "authorities") tell kids (and adults) who sometimes grow up to repeat the tales ad infinitum.

amongst the KIDS who believe it ,, there is indeed similar condescention between believers and non believers

they

,,tell each other they wont get gifts if they don't believe
...get angry and refuse to play with others who try to say santa doesnt exist
...cant start wars or build palaces but many have shrines to santa in their room via posters, figurines,,etc,,,

Well, at least the kids can't build palaces (only posters and figurines, etc) and can't start wars. Bravo.

also, the original St Nick lived in the fourth century with no documented account of having risen from the dead or actually lived in the north pole or having elves or traveling down chimneys after his death,,,,

There is also NO DOCUMENTED evidence of any of the proposed "gods" (from any century) rising from the dead or performing any of the supernatural feats in tales. There are TALES and testimonials about such things happening, but nothing that can be verified as truthful and accurate. That some of the tales were written about decades, generations or centuries after they supposedly occurred is NOT documentation that they are anything more than folk tales, legends, fables, fiction or other forms of human imagination.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 01/24/14 10:27 AM
In one of the threads someone asked what the difference is between "God" and "Santa."

Here are some suggestions for starters:

Santa is not said to send people to "hell" if they do not worship him

People do not hate and condemn each other over differences in Santa beliefs

Wars are not caused by differences in Santa beliefs

Elaborate Palaces of Worship are not constructed for Santa

Offerings collected for Santa are typically limited to cookies

No sacrifices (animal or human) are made to Santa

Santa believers do not generally consider themselves superior to those who do not believe or worship

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 01/24/14 07:08 AM

Ugh! Why do all the good looking guys live in another freakin state than me!!?

If looks are the primary criteria it might pay to check local model agencies

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/23/14 09:56 AM
The truth is that you cant even be alive for a second without that "supernatural entity"(God almighty)

Some believe that, others do not. Those who make the claim cannot show they speak truth or that their favorite "god" is any more or less imaginary than any of the thousands of others proposed, worshiped, feared by humans.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/23/14 09:18 AM

If you doubt that supernaturals dont exist,come to Africa and one old man in the village would turn you to reptile in seconds.I'm saying what i've seen happen many times.There are powers that make things to happen,including convincing some people to doubt the existence of God,heaven,hell,etc.Doubt no more!

You have seen men turned to snakes multiple times? Could you go into that a little farther?

Long ago and far away, shrouded in ignorance and superstition, all sorts of magical things are claimed to have happened -- some by "good" spirits and some by "evil" ones. Some are claimed to change humans into snakes and others are claimed to turn water into wine.

What the tales have in common is complete lack of verification. Anyone can claim anything but cannot show that they speak truth. Testimonials, hearsay, legends, fables and folk tales "prove" only that lips or pens are moving and that someone promotes an agenda.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/23/14 09:05 AM
The coach needed to be coached in leading prayers if truly he didnt mention winning the game in his "leading prayer".Maybe he 'said' prayer.He should have invited a pastor who would pray prayer

It seems as though if there is to be a contest it should be based upon ability and performance of those involved -- rather than seeking special advantages from a supernatural entity

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/23/14 02:42 AM
Explain any difference between santa claus and god???

Santa is not portrayed as giving preferential treatment or assistance to athletes (or soldiers) who believe in him?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/22/14 04:34 PM
Can it be true in 21st Century US that half the spectators at modern day "gladiator" contests believe that outcomes are influenced by supernatural entities (based upon religious preferences and practices of contestants or prayers and supplications by spectators)?

Really?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2014/jan/21/half-american-fans-say-supernatural-forces-are-pla/#.Ut7iHgPNCmc.twitter

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gladiator‎
a man in ancient Rome who fought against another man or animal for public entertainment.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 01/21/14 12:40 PM
Based on several decades of being the "bad boy" or "rogue" (not intentionally, just being non-conformist and irreverent -- and therefore at odds with mainstream society), it appears as though SOME women (perhaps a minority) prefer those characteristics – at least for the short-term. They may think they can "change him" or "take off the rough edges" and become disappointed upon discovering they cannot.

More "sensible" or traditional women may be intrigued but not interested in pursuing a relationship. A rare unconventional "outside the box" woman might make a good partner.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 16 17