Community > Posts By > JohnDavidDavid

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/30/14 06:16 PM
How long is a piece of string? Different men will look for different things, depending on their priorities, their social upbringing, and their aspirations in life.

Good point. Many women make blanket statements about "what all men want" or "all men want is . . . " as though all were alike.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/30/14 06:03 PM
the end times is near

Religionists have been chanting that for at least 2000 years, since a preacher is claimed to have said, "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

He was wrong then and the promoters have been wrong ever since.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/30/14 05:59 PM
I lost 45% of my blood easter morning.

Sure enough, people recover from injuries, accidents, diseases -- often with medical assistance.

It's your loss.

What, exactly, do you propose that I "lose" by not idolizing or worshiping one of the "gods"?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/30/14 08:18 AM
I know Yahweh healed her for our obedience to his word the best we can.

Thank you for illustrating the thinking behind a religious viewpoint.

Miracles happen all the time . . .

It is not surprising that those who want to see "miracles" -- see "miracles" even when rational alternatives are apparent to others -- then credit their prayers to a favorite supernatural entity when desirable outcomes occur (but remain silent about the "power of prayer" when results are undesirable).

If good things happen "goddidit", if not, blame the devil, or "sins", or homosexuality, or something.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 01/30/14 07:43 AM
You can think of it as a way of weeding out these women as well and you won't waste time getting to know them if you already know you don't want kids, pets, or religion in the relationship.

Agreed. Those who prioritize such things in profile eliminate themselves from my consideration and save time.

It is NOT that I don't want kids, pets or religion in a relationship, but rather that I refuse to be REQUIRED to "love" such things in advance in order to "qualify" for friendship. Note the emphasis on "friendship" rather than coupledom.

Some children are pleasant, some pets are well-behaved, and religion can be unobtrusive BUT when a person is fanatical about any or all of those I have no interest.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/29/14 06:43 PM
For the record, I like (reserve "love" for humans) SOME dogs and have had two exceptional obedience-trained dogs over the years. Recently I told a friend "Your dog is welcome in my house any time", reflecting that he does whatever she says, displays more "sense" than most animals, and doesn't seek attention, jump or climb on people, bark needlessly, etc.

However, the vast majority of dogs I observe or encounter are untrained and poorly behaved -- often allowed to do whatever they wish -- including annoy owners and others.

A lot of children are not much better behaved than nuisance dogs. I am not gaga over infants / children and prefer adult interaction (personal preference -- taught college rather than kindergarten).

I do NOT accept a demand that I "love" dogs or children BEFORE I meet them.

Regarding "gods": Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences regarding supernaturalism. Any of the thousands of "gods" proposed, worshiped, feared, loved by humans MAY be real -- but I have encountered no verifiable information to that effect. Therefore, I do not worship or idolize any of them.

If religion is a (or the) major focus of a woman's life we can be friends but not likely very close.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/29/14 03:14 PM

Is this really true that "when a woman becomes a scholar there is usually something wrong with her sexual organs"?

I think that's just a fancy way of saying "a smart woman won't let me near her."

Good point.

An intelligent woman may require that a man be intelligent -- certainly enough so to realize that the quote is irrational.

The males that "scholarly" women reject are looking for excuses.

Where you come from they also still stone women as witches and most people don't know what a flushing toilet is.

Probably true, but misogynists exist in every society -- insecure males who attempt to bolster themselves by demeaning women.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/29/14 03:05 PM
Yahweh is REAL he listens this is the small prayer I sent to her. believe it or not.

Your fiance's recovery from a back problem MUST be due to intervention by a supernatural entity answering your prayer?

There can be no other explanation -- including the human body's ability to heal?

Perhaps, "When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail" (i.e., when one only knows or accepts one explanation they tend to overlook or dismiss alternatives).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/29/14 02:50 PM

Is this really true that "when a woman becomes a scholar there is usually something wrong with her sexual organs"?

Does that "wisdom" apply to males as well?

Actually,no.

I agree -- it is dead wrong for either gender.

That quote from Friedrich Nietzsche serves the interests of misogynists who seek "justification" for their bigotry.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/29/14 02:36 PM
When a person says "accept me as I am", red flags wave brightly for me. Saying that suggests they have experienced not being accepted for what they are -- perhaps for darn good reason. Yes, we should accept (or reject) a person as they are (not who we idealize or wish they were or imagine them to be). However, when someone LEADS with that request they may be indicating more about themselves than they realize.

Regarding the past: We are all, to some extent, the product of our past -- good, bad or indifferent. When one's past leaves a lot to be desired they seem to want that concealed or down-played. When their past is desirable and accomplished they often want that recognized (sometimes to excess).

Sybariticguy wisely points out that "Prince" and "Princess" are FANTASIES.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 01/29/14 02:15 PM

Does that "wisdom" apply to males as well?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 01/28/14 03:43 PM
loving kids and dogs seems logical , they exist and they need our love

I have no comment about anyone "loving" kids and dogs -- provided that they do not REQUIRE that I participate. However, when those are identified as priorities, it suggests to me that a woman may have limited her interests and conversations (though she might have once been interesting).

but what about the last one ?

When a person refuses to be friends with those who do not share their religious opinions and preferences (or belief in their favorite "god"), it suggests to me that they are disrespectful of the opinions or beliefs of others, that they are insecure in their own beliefs and do not want them questioned, and/or they feel that their opinions and beliefs are superior to those of others. None of which are appealing to me.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 01/28/14 03:18 PM
Santa, satan same thing. Both Liars

Santa, Satan, Gods (thousands of them) -- same thing -- can't be shown to be anything more than human imagination, fantasy, wishful thinking.

"Liars" might apply to those who claim to be "priests" or "prophets" or to have special knowledge of invisible, undetectable supernatural entities.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 01/28/14 03:12 PM
One interpretation of the meaning of specifying "must love dogs, children and god" is that the person is not willing to develop friendship with anyone unless they qualify as a potential mate.

The silliest I recall is a woman who listed "pen pal" as one of her "looking for" (don't remember what else) and specified "must not smoke." What does she do -- sniff the email for tobacco odor?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 01/28/14 09:09 AM

Santa's name is not on the dollar bill. Does this mean we can really trust if Santa knows if we have been good or bad?

Could it be that "Santa Knows" that most have just avoided getting caught in minor (or major) transgressions?

As the dollar becomes worth less and less as years go by is "In god we trust" decreased proportionately?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 01/28/14 08:55 AM

Sounds like the person the OP is talking about has different preferences than he does. Why not just move onto someone who has preferences that match up better?

The OP (that would be me) was motivated to post the topic after receiving five "matches" from a site, four of which had one or more of the "must" items in profile -- while listing "friendship" as at least one of the objectives identified.

It seems rather silly to require that friends "love dogs, children and god" -- though that may be understandable if the objective is to find a mate (which could be the true agenda, rather than friendship).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 01/27/14 05:48 PM
Inappropriate terms of endearment are not gender specific. Some women are a bit loose with "honey", "dear", etc. I don't take offense but do notice the inappropriateness (and wonder if it applies elsewhere).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 01/27/14 05:39 PM

There seems to be a fine line (or general confusion) in the minds of some women between "immature" and "too serious."

There should be a nice mixture, a happy medium. To be honest, I've known more immature older men compared to immature younger men. I was feeling snarky the day I made that previous post....

But basically, there's a time and place for serious and immature, the wise man is aware of that.

Perhaps it depends on how "maturity" (an conversely immaturity) is defined:

"In psychology, maturity is the ability to respond to the environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act, according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in. Adult development and maturity theories include the purpose in life concept, in which maturity emphasizes a clear comprehension of life's purpose, directedness, and intentionality, which contributes to the feeling that life is meaningful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_%28psychological%29

The above indicates that a mature person knows how to act under given circumstances. Thus, one who is mature can decide when to act "playful" without being immature or childish.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 01/27/14 04:05 PM
There seems to be a fine line (or general confusion) in the minds of some women between "immature" and "too serious."

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 01/27/14 03:50 PM

Must love dogs, kids and god"
Does it have to be in that order

Perhaps not in that order? However, it might suggest that #4 on the priority list may be the highest available position.

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 16 17