Community > Posts By > JohnDavidDavid

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 02/14/14 03:08 PM

I just got engaged, for the first time! Known her 27 years though!

Now, THAT could be near the ultimate in checking out a prospective mate

Best wishes to the two of you.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 02/14/14 02:18 PM
valentines day excited or lonely

Neither. Date on a calendar makes no difference. Being with or without a partner or "a relationship" makes little or no difference. Lonely is a choice and a frame of mind.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Fri 02/14/14 07:38 AM
When someone focuses attention on beauty and style I wonder if there is substance behind the fluff (but rarely investigate).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 02/13/14 08:41 PM
I raised the question after reading a UK article discussing US males, and wondering if "Metro-male" attitudes / lifestyles are adopted because they appeal to women. Apparently not. So, why then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2558269/Rise-American-metrosexual-How-modern-man-feels-empowered-abandon-traditional-masculine-sterotypes.html

The article is not well written but it refer to role changes that may be happening (at least in part).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 02/13/14 01:36 PM
Ladies, are you attracted to Metro-Males (also termed Metrosexual Males)?

The terms are often interchanged and variously defined.

Merriam Webster Dictionary as: "a usually urban heterosexual male given to enhancing his personal appearance by fastidious grooming, beauty treatments, and fashionable clothes".

Urban Dictionary as: "A good-looking, fashionable young man who pays special attention to style and taste who displays the levels of care and pride in their appearance which is usually associated with women; but who are not deemed to be homo-sexual and are secure in their masculinity."

Mark Simpson (originator of the term) as: "The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that’s where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference."

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Thu 02/13/14 07:20 AM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Thu 02/13/14 07:21 AM

What is harder for you to do; To ask for help or to give help?

Neither is hard for me. Cooperating / helping in both directions seems natural and mutually beneficial. All of us have energy or items that we can or could share with others and others have things that they can or could share with us -- without disadvantage to either party.

Our cultures tend to promote possessiveness, greed and often "what's in it for me" attitudes that are unnecessarily and unwisely divisive.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 02/12/14 04:57 PM
Humans are born as atheists (i.e., do not believe in gods); however, many (most?) are taught, typically during childhood, to believe that invisible, undetectable, supernatural entities influence human lives.

Perhaps belief in "divine intervention" (or punishments or rewards) is to be expected in societies that lack information about the causes of disease, hurricanes, droughts, floods, eclipses, etc. Imagining a causative or curative "spirit" then is understandable.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 02/12/14 04:36 PM
Signed with Love from: God, Jesus & Me.

Is there verification that the story is something other than a "parable" or other form of fiction?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 02/12/14 10:15 AM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Wed 02/12/14 10:16 AM

What if every society on earth had agreed with Hitler and all of the Jews on the face of the earth had been gassed? Would that have been morally right under natural law?

Playing the Hitler Card is amateurish (Reductio ad Hitlerum is sometimes called "playing the Nazi card." According to its critics and proponents, it is a tactic often used to derail arguments, because such comparisons tend to distract and anger the opponent.)

Nice try though.

I make no statements regarding what is "morally right"

If you answered my question "no", you would have disproven your contention that "natural law" is based on human societal evolution.

When people play the Hitler card they appear to be grabbing at straws trying to salvage their "argument"

To follow your argument to it's logical conclusion would have you agreeing with Hitler that all Jews needed to die, because every society on earth agreed.

This is another attempt to claim knowledge of my position or argument (perhaps by mind reading?).

I make no claim to know what is "morally right" -- but leave such claims to those who fancy themselves to be moralists (and those who attempt to claim natural law stems from religion, in direct contrast to its origin in nature and reasoning -- the antithesis of most religious beliefs).

So you took the easy way out and claimed I was playing the "Hitler card", when I was using Reductio ad absurdum to show the flaw in your theory.

"Absurd" is demonstrated with "What if every society on earth had agreed with Hitler . . . "

I won't waste my time discussing topics with you anymore.

I can understand that you would not want to do so preacher.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 02/12/14 09:16 AM
What if every society on earth had agreed with Hitler and all of the Jews on the face of the earth had been gassed? Would that have been morally right under natural law?

Playing the Hitler Card is amateurish (Reductio ad Hitlerum is sometimes called "playing the Nazi card." According to its critics and proponents, it is a tactic often used to derail arguments, because such comparisons tend to distract and anger the opponent.)

Nice try though.

I make no statements regarding what is "morally right"

I always hope for the best in people. I thought you might actually be able to admit that Natural Law theory is a religious theory based on observations of human nature. I think leaving 1% doubt was very generous.

Perhaps it is "generous" to claim that natural law is religious theory when it is identified as:

Natural law, or the law of nature, is a system of law that is purportedly determined by nature, and thus universal. Classically, natural law refers to the use of reason to analyze human nature — both social and personal — and deduce binding rules of moral behavior from it.

Exactly my point. You wrote a sentence, which was clearly meant to imply I was making a claim of special knowledge. When I called you on it, you twisted it around to claim that you weren't saying what you obviously were. You rendered your own sentence meaningless.

If you now acknowledge that you have no special knowledge, I do not disagree.

Complements on the creative dance

Natural Law theory is based on religious beliefs and originates from the idea that God built laws into human nature. That's not debatable.

Of course it is "not debatable" if one ignores "Classically, natural law refers to the use of reason to analyze human nature" and insists that "goddidit"

When one attributes human nature to their favorite "god" that limits considerations to their personal beliefs and opinions.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Wed 02/12/14 08:32 AM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Wed 02/12/14 08:35 AM

and whatever you think of it is surely equally as misguided and incorrect.

How, exactly, does one determine that another's thoughts are misguided and incorrect WITHOUT or before knowing what they are?

Call it a hunch.

It appears as though much of what you claim as knowledge is actually "hunch" rather than knowledge.

You can't have an ordered world without someone to do the ordering.

So say those who promote one of the proposed "creator gods" -- other opinions differ.

Okay, so if we have an ordered universe, with moral laws built into human nature...how did that happen if it wasn't by the actions of a "creator god"?

I do not pretend to know the origin of an ordered universe -- but leave the pretending to others (be they religious or scientific in orientation).

Many DO pretend to know that their favorite "creator god" (among the thousands available) is responsible BECAUSE they have been told that by others, often in ancient texts or in lectures / sermons by people who CLAIM to know.

Some people, self included, do not such accept such claims without verification -- and do not regard folklore, legend, fable, fantasy, ancient "wisdom", or sermons as being evidence of truth and accuracy.

Yes, anonymous people thousands of years ago spoke or wrote about "miraculous" entities and events (as was evidently common in that era). Some of those opinions, theories, claims, and stories were incorporated into currently popular religions.

That is evidence of what people believed / thought / wrote -- but is not evidence that such things existed or occurred (or that the claimants and storytellers knew / know more than anyone else).

I do not accept that "moral laws" are "built into human nature" but suggest instead that what is known as morality is produced by society. If it was "built in" there should be little or no deviation by individuals.

Again with the sarcasm quotes.

What you identify as "sarcasm quotes" are often "distancing quotes" (a valid use of quotation marks) indicating that my mention of the term does not imply acceptance.

You can't have laws without a lawmaker.

Who is the "lawgiver" in the case of the "Law of Gravity"?

God.

How, exactly, can one determine if this is true?

Believing that something is true is VERY different from actually determining truth. Believing that diseases are caused by demons is very different from learning about microbial causes of disease. Believing that storms are caused by "angry gods" is very different from learning about atmospheric processes.

Proclaiming that "goddidit" to explain gravity is very different from learning about the real world we inhabit.

I know more about the Thanksgiving of 1621 than I'd guess 90% of extant humans.

Remarkable

Or is it? The US, where the Thanksgiving we discuss is celebrated, contains less than five percent of the population of "extant humans." Thus, most citizens of the US could make the same claim. Whether you know more than the average US citizen has not been established beyond self-aggrandizing claims.

I observe that much of what is "known" about Thanksgiving appears to be tradition, folklore, and assumption rather than knowledge of the actual event and related events.

Correction: Natural Law is based on NATURE. Observation of nature leads to the concept of "laws" that describe and explain events (by nature, not supernaturalism / mysticism).

I think this deserves more attention, because it actually is egregious. By observing nature, we determined it was wrong to steal, right? To murder? To rape? All of those things are perfectly normal and acceptable behaviors in nature. Sea Otter's in California will kidnap baby seals and rape them to death. Perfectly normal and acceptable. Do you actually believe it's lawful (under natural law) to rape another creature to death? No, I don't think you do.

Humans and the societies they develop are part of nature (in spite of what many worshipers of "gods" may proclaim), as are bees or ants and their social structure. We live in the biosphere of the Earth and are one of its components.

The social structures (societies) humans have evolved usually include prohibition of theft, rape and murder because stability of the society is enhanced by such prohibitions (though they may be condoned or accepted under prescribed circumstances).

I think what the problem is that you got completely out of your depth, had no idea what you were talking about and just ran with it.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion -- and me to mine -- which is that your statements remind me of a preacher telling "the faithful" about his vast knowledge of the supernatural -- and being unaccustomed to encountering doubt of his self-proclaimed "superiority" and "authority."

I'm 99% certain that you will reply and try to defend your claim that Natural Law is based on observing nature. I honestly can't wait to see your response.

Only 99% certain? That is down one percent from previous claims of total knowledge. The learning process . . .

Notice, however, that you injected "observing nature" in place of my "from nature." Being part of nature is different from mere observation. Humans and their social structures change (evolve) over time as one aspect of what we know as nature (in spite of denial by many who accept the "creator god" theory -- and become convinced that they have the answer to nearly any question with "goddidit").

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 04:55 PM

Discussing anything with you is like some other equally unpleasant scatological activity...

Referring to "scatological activity" is usually an indication that one has reached or surpassed their intellectual capacity or their arguments are weak or both.

What any of this has to do with God, I can't really fathom. It's almost as if you think the fact that the Pilgrims weren't the first to give thanks, that God must not exist.

Interesting "fathoming".

Regarding the existence of "gods": I maintain that ANY of the thousands of proposed "gods" worshiped, loved, feared by humans MAY exist, but that evidence is lacking to show which (if any) are more than human imagination.

However, I often challenge statements claiming knowledge of invisible, undetectable supernatural entities -- and claims of knowledge about what any supposedly omniscient entity thinks, or wants (or how it emotes) -- and claims of knowledge about an "afterlife."

All I know is that the first Thanksgiving wasn't used to give small pox blankets to Indians as that one feller said

I agree regarding the smallpox issue. However, regarding the celebration:

But it's the 1621 Plimoth [also spelled Plymouth] Thanksgiving that's linked to the birth of our modern holiday. To tell the truth, though, the first "real" Thanksgiving happened two centuries later.

Everything we know about the three-day Plimoth gathering comes from a description in a letter wrote by Edward Winslow, leader of the Plimoth Colony, in 1621, Monac said. The letter had been lost for 200 years and was rediscovered in the 1800s, she added.

In 1841 Boston publisher Alexander Young printed Winslow's brief account of the feast and added his own twist, dubbing the 1621 feast the "First Thanksgiving."

In Winslow's "short letter, it was clear that [the 1621 feast] was not something that was supposed to be repeated again and again. It wasn't even a Thanksgiving, which in the 17th century was a day of fasting. It was a harvest celebration," Monac said.

But after its mid-1800s appearance, Young's designation caught on—to say the least.

U.S. President Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving Day a national holiday in 1863. He was probably swayed in part by magazine editor Sarah Josepha Hale -- the author of the nursery rhyme "Mary Had a Little Lamb" -- who had suggested Thanksgiving become a holiday, historians say.

In 1941 President Franklin Roosevelt established the current date for observance, the fourth Thursday of November.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/11/121120-thanksgiving-2012-dinner-recipes-pilgrims-day-parade-history-facts/

And

In 1621, though the Pilgrims celebrated a feast, it was not repeated in the years to follow. In 1636, a murdered white man was found in his boat and the Pequot were blamed. In retaliation settlers burned Pequot villages.

Additionally, English Major John Mason rallied his troops to further burn Pequot wigwams and then attacked and killed hundreds more men, women and children. According to Mason’s reports of the massacre, “We must burn them! Such a dreadful terror let the Almighty fall upon their spirits that they would flee from us and run into the very flames. Thus did the Lord judge the heathen, filling the place with dead bodies.”

The Governor of Plymouth William Bradford wrote: “Those that escaped the fire were slain with the sword; some hewed to pieces, others run through with their rapiers, so that they were quickly dispatched and very few escaped. It was conceived they thus destroyed about 400 at this time. It was a fearful sight to see them thus frying in the fire...horrible was the stink and scent thereof, but the victory seemed a sweet sacrifice, and they gave the prayers thereof to God, who had wrought so wonderfully for them.”

The day after the massacre, the Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, William B. Newell, wrote that from that day forth shall be a day of celebration and thanks giving for subduing the Pequots and “For the next 100 years, every Thanksgiving Day ordained by a Governor was in honor of the bloody victory, thanking God that the battle had been won.”

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/11/28/6-thanksgiving-myths-share-them-someone-you-know-152475

Perhaps there is more to the situation than the traditional myth suggests?

and whatever you think of it is surely equally as misguided and incorrect.

How, exactly, does one determine that another's thoughts are misguided and incorrect WITHOUT or before knowing what they are?

Natural Law comes from the belief in an ordered world based on laws.

Correction: Natural Law is based on NATURE. Observation of nature leads to the concept of "laws" that describe and explain events (by nature, not supernaturalism / mysticism).

You can't have an ordered world without someone to do the ordering.

So say those who promote one of the proposed "creator gods" -- other opinions differ.

You can't have laws without a lawmaker.

Who is the "lawgiver" in the case of the "Law of Gravity"?

No see, I don't like words being put in my mouth. I said I know the truth of the first Thanksgiving from historical records. I didn't say nobody else knew the truth.

Likewise. Notice the difference between what I said, "others do not know" and what you interpreted "nobody else knows". I am an "other" in this case. Your "As you envision it, maybe. I know the truth of it" IS a claim to know "truth" which indicates that I do not know truth because my view is different from TRUTH (that you think you possess).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 02:36 PM
Edited by JohnDavidDavid on Tue 02/11/14 02:38 PM

Oh? Have you read the work of Lowen and Turner before rendering judgment?

I don't have time to read every book that comes along. When almost all historians recommend another historian's book be used as bird cage liner, I feel justified in skipping that one.

Oh, do almost all historians recommend that the work of Lowen and Turner be used as bird cage liner? Citations?

It is fairly common for traditionalists to condemn what they "don't have time" to read.

Many dislike reading anything that disagrees with what they want to believe

It seems that you do, but there is hope for you, since you are aware of that particular failing.

Thank you for recognizing that I have the ability and inclination to read many sides of issues and do not confine my reading to that which supports only the popular and traditional viewpoints.

Oh? Have you discovered the LACK of mention of "god" and Christianity in the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

The founders based the Constitution on natural law, which is a philosophy based on Christianity.

Although Christianity may aspire to take credit for "Natural Law" it cannot rationally do so.

The term is defined as: an ethical belief or system of beliefs supposed to be inherent in human nature and discoverable by reason rather than revelation, OR: law of nature, OR: the philosophical doctrine that the authority of the legal system or of certain laws derives from their justifiability by reason, and indeed that a legal system which cannot be so justified has no authority."

In other words -- natural law is the "law" of NATURE -- not religion or society

In fact, Christianity may be based in some part on natural law -- not the other way around. Christianity cannot be shown to be based on reason or on nature (but on "faith" and supernaturalism).

And the Lord is mentioned in the Constitution: "Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the twelfth...."

A reference to the calendar qualifies? Perhaps if deemed appropriate or important it would be mentioned in the body of text.

Thanksgiving, as we envision it, is a MYTH. http://americanhistory.about.com/od/holidays/a/thanksgiving.htm
http://hnn.us/article/406

As you envision it, maybe. I know the truth of it.

OF COURSE, of course, YOU know "the truth of it" and others do not. Of course --�� because you say so.

I know that it was Chief Massasoit's son who attacked the Pilgrims and the Pilgrims defended themselves. We see that in their diaries and in the public writings.

It might be prudent to read the references cited that indicate several different "thanksgivings" with different meanings -- and that the celebration was not unified / nationalized until Civil War times (two hundred years after the cited events).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 11:35 AM
There in does lye the problem with joking around with people on the internet.

Attempted comedy injected into what aspires to be a serious discussion, regardless the venue, is often inappropriate and/or misunderstood.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 11:32 AM
Total garbage.

Oh? Have you read the work of Lowen and Turner before rendering judgment?

I'll stick with reading the facts for myself.

Many dislike reading anything that disagrees with what they want to believe

Like reading the writings of the founding fathers, which describe their thought processes and inspirations.

Oh? Have you discovered the LACK of mention of "god" and Christianity in the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

Thankgiving was a trick.

Thanksgiving, as we envision it, is a MYTH. http://americanhistory.about.com/od/holidays/a/thanksgiving.htm
http://hnn.us/article/406

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 10:51 AM

Biblical laws are what our nation is built upon.

Much of what this nation was built on was from Native Americans. The idea of democracy was far more evident in their societies than in European nations of that era.

You have absolutely got to be saying that to get a rise. Nobody who has ever studied history or even had a thought in their head could possibly think that.

Try "Lies my Teacher Told Me" by James W. Lowen and "The Significance of the Frontier in American History" by Frederick Jackson Turner for viewpoints that differ from the homogenized / Europeanized views presented in standard / politically correct textbooks.

Lowen does an outstanding job of presenting a realistic view of American history (that is nothing like what we were taught -- and is well documented).

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 10:28 AM
Is life is in the blood and do not eat it Opinion?

Is do not eat the fat Opinion?

Is the world a circle and we are in a tent opinion?

Well, so much for verification.

Is sex with only your wife opinion? in todays age it is but u do not have to worry about std's if u only have 1 partner in your life. Geese are better than us on this.

Correction: If you (generic term) have sexual relations with only your wife (mate), you definitely CAN contract STD.

these are facts science has just caught up to. we are not to mix seeds. yet Monsanto is playing the mad scientists with our food supply and science is trying to figure out what to do.

Humans have been "mixing seeds" for thousands of years in a process known as hybridization. That process has been instrumental in producing plants and animals utilized in agriculture.

Biblical laws are what our nation is built upon.

Much of what this nation was built on was from Native Americans. The idea of democracy was far more evident in their societies than in European nations of that era.

I prefer to use the Bible as My guide on how to live my life.

The bible is an excellent guide for how to treat or beat slaves, how to kill adulterers or disobedient children or people who collect firewood on the sabbath, how and why to kill all humans and other animals on Earth (except a select few), how to cure diseases by casting out demons, etc.

Much of the bible is devoted to the opinion of anonymous people regarding "how to worship" a proposed invisible, undetectable supernatural entity with the objective of gaining "everlasting life" after death.

Perhaps someone can explain why that constitutes an appropriate guide to living in the real world that we currently inhabit?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Tue 02/11/14 04:56 AM
God doesn't send anyone to hell.

I do not disagree; however, many believe that their favorite "god" provides a "hell" in an "afterlife" for "souls" of those who refuse to worship "him" and follow rules made by "priests" and "prophets."

Christianity has only had one sacrifice, when God sacrificed His son for our sake.

Interesting conjecture. Is there any way to verify that it is true (more substantial than ancient folklore and texts promoting religion)?

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 02/10/14 07:09 PM
Sadly when people have the opportunity to choose between hundreds of people you have to "sort" the people you respond to by rather arbitrary standards.

I agree. However, the appearance of having "hundreds of people" to choose from is much more illusion than reality -- which lends a fantasy land or candy store aspect to this venue.

Distance, geographically or personally, is often a deal-killer no matter how appealing a person might be.

JohnDavidDavid's photo
Mon 02/10/14 07:01 PM
Hang in there Stephen. Good jobs are scarce and many employers use intern and temporary positions in lieu of hiring full-time employees.

Some women seem to have ideas similar to those of employers.

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17