Community > Posts By > DonnyRover

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 02/27/15 05:44 AM
I was thinking about songwriters earlier today strangely enough.Mainly because I was thinking about all the songs Queen had done. A lot of people dismiss John Deacon's contribution to the band but what they don't realise he wrote a number one best seller in the states, namely Another one bites the dust!

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 02/27/15 05:40 AM

Floyd

Didn't know the late great Keith Floyd had a band!

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 02/27/15 05:38 AM

I didn't read any of the other lists yet because I wanted to give mine before I did. So here we go.

5. Eddie Van Halen- Most would rate him higher.
4. Richie Sambora- More gifted than most realize.
3. Steve Vai- His early work with Roth is classic.
2. George Lynch- Put him in another band (besides Dokken) and he would be legendary.
1. Jimi Hendrix- No one else compares.

Goof, you are the first to include Eddie. My opinion is he's overrated, but I'm also surprised it took this long for him to be mentioned. The rest of your list, I like a lot. Richie Sambora is a really good call.

Richie Sambora Nah (Only my opinion though)Our local club turns can play his stuff quite competently!

I think a lot of people feel Eddie is overrated (And I get why they do) but that's why he is 5th for me. I almost put Jimmy Page ahead of him but I went sentimental (I'm a Van Halen fan, lol).

EDDIE VAN HALEN "ERUPTION" GUITAR SOLO FRONT ROW!! PASO ROBLES CALIFORNIA 2013
Gee, I thought of him back 3 pages ago in this thread. lol :heart:

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 02/27/15 05:35 AM
Love will tear us apart - Joy Division. just read that there's a documentary about Ian Curtis on BBC 4 tonight at 9pm.

DonnyRover's photo
Fri 02/27/15 05:32 AM
Watershed - opeth

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/26/15 03:07 AM

We may disagree on what constitutes good music, but we can all agree that music makes life good.

I second that emotion

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/26/15 03:05 AM

I must have misunderstood ..and yes ...so many in their own music can be different an good at the same time ...

Yes, I put Mike Oldfield in that category,not everyone's cup of tea but brilliant at what he does!

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/26/15 03:03 AM
He may not be a "guitar god" or whatever you like to call them but Mike Oldfield is a brilliant multi-talented musician and some of his guitar work on his albums are up there with the best. only my opinion but just thought I would throw it in to the mix.

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 02/23/15 04:44 AM
Oh well back to reality, Rovers get hammered 3-0, see Man U lost though, Gooood, though Chelsea slipped up at home to Burnley!

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 02/23/15 04:41 AM

I have heard more Genesis with collins singing more than I have heard peter Gabriel and they werer ok with either as frontman.. My point is Collins solo stuff is bland, boring and too commercial for me where Gabriel is self indulgent and dosent seem to bothered about selling records or whatever they come out on these days,lol. I saw korn and Slipknot last week, now that was something else. I didn't enjoy it anymore than Peter Gabriels gig, they were both awesome but in different ways!!

I don't believe you can put them in the same kind of category as Peter

I consider Korn and SlipKnot to be metal ... that's just me ...

I didn't put them in the same category, that's my point people can be excellent in their own genre, peter Gabriel was brilliant at what he does, Korn and Slipknot were brilliant at what they do, all musicaly talented in their own fieldl

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 02/23/15 04:36 AM

STEVE VAI
JOE SATRIANI
AXEL RUDI PELL
BRIAN MAY
ERIC JOHNSON.

STEVE VAI is the GOD of guitar

Well I must admit him and Joe Satriani come pretty close but I've only seen Satriani live not Vai so Satriani just has the edge for me!

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 02/23/15 04:34 AM

lol....only you could start a debate about alphabetical order...laugh

He must be a mass debater?

DonnyRover's photo
Mon 02/23/15 04:33 AM
There are loads I could mention, some mentioned here already but my top five if pressed would be:
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Brian May
Jeff Hennerman
Kerry King

DonnyRover's photo
Sat 02/21/15 04:42 AM
We will rock you - Queen

DonnyRover's photo
Sat 02/21/15 04:40 AM
Not a lover of house music but i remember when it started, I was still listening to radio 1 back then and I remember Annie Nightingale playing quite a bit back then.. I listen to metal mainly these days.

DonnyRover's photo
Sat 02/21/15 04:37 AM
If your 555 then im 666 (The Heretics anthem) - The mighty Slipknot

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/19/15 04:34 AM
Well Donny are in a play-of place, didn't see that one coming, hope they can keep it up.Well done to Bradford,that's what the FA cup is all about. There doesn't seem to be many real football fans on here, a lot of plastic ones though.
Rovers till I die!!
:smile:

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/19/15 04:29 AM

I've always supported the All Blacks drinks

Yep I know they are good but wont be seeing them in the six nations any time soon !?

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/19/15 04:24 AM
Radio Ga Ga - Queen

DonnyRover's photo
Thu 02/19/15 04:24 AM
Question! Systems of a Down