Community > Posts By > MikeMontana

MikeMontana's photo
Wed 10/10/07 08:23 PM
I was just in India, and went to the holy city of Kurukshetra, accompanied by several friends who are devout Hindus. They were explaining to me that this city is THE place. The gods gave the holy scripture HERE.

"HERE!" they emphasized. They took me to the very spot where it was given. "Right HERE! Dont you *feel* it?!" they asked.

Clearly I wasn't getting it. I didnt want to argue with my dear friends, and didnt want to be rude. But, frankly, I didnt "get it". I understood the meaning, the tradition, and even understood why it meant something to *them*, but for me, it was ...just another temple.

My friend was dissapointed that I wasnt impressed by having the unique honor to be standing at the holiest place on earth. He tried a different approach, "Mike, this is our Jerusalem. This is THE holiest place on earth".

Still, my face wasn't 'wowed'. My words were always polite, and always respectful. But they understood that I wasnt impressed.

Then I thought about it... I've seen the same kind of thing happen in reverse. I have been to the home of THE virgin-mary, and Japanese tourists were snapping pictures like it was Disneyland. Clearly THEY didnt get it.

I've been to the Hagia Sophia, the church where most of the 12 apostles were buried at one-time-or-another. This was THE place. But it was converted into an Islamic Heritage Museum. They didnt get it.

I also went to the mosque where Moses' staff is kept on display. The Islamic Moses that is - "Musa". I wasnt impressed. I didnt get it.

It struck me that we throw so much emotional energy onto a pilgrimage place that the perceived "holiness", "sanctity" is only in our own accomplishment of the journey. In reality, THE place doesnt matter - it could be a 7-11, or Jesus tomb in Kashmir [which was my original goal, but islamic terrorists turned me off when I was less than a hundred miles away].

Previously, I was very eager to see Santiago/Compostella in Portugal [tomb of St James, Jesus' brother], and to visit the "usual holy sites" in Israel/Syria/Jordan.

But, now, it suddenly doesnt seem to matter. Will I get it? Will the ppl around me 'not get it' and distract from my own experience?

Your thoughts?

MikeMontana's photo
Wed 10/10/07 08:10 PM
As a christian, i can confidently claim, to all of you non-christians where you are going after death: You AND ME are going nowhere.

No heaven, no hell. They serve no purpose and have no backing in the bible. Challenge me if I sound like a nut.

Its in OUR power, and therefore our responsibility to make "heaven here on earth". Its an easy thing to do. We all just dont do it enough.

Like the Big-J said "the kingdom of heaven IS AT HAND". Its up to us to make it stay.

-Mike

MikeMontana's photo
Wed 10/10/07 08:07 PM
Having just had this debate with two Hindu persons, they claim that Hinduism is AT LEAST 10k years old. They will say that the oldest "written" texts are at least 1500bc.

The same argument goes with Judiasism - its only been ~5800 yrs since the first Passover. Or in other words, roughly 6000 years of *written* history. Arguments are never ending if it was thousands or hundreds of years prior to Moses' big day - bringing an argument that says Adam was 10k years ago, in the same ballpark as Hindu claims.

Islam argues that the Jews/Christians got the essence right, but the details wrong, on the "true" lineage of all the biblical patriarchs. So in their own way lay claim to a similar 5800yr old written history.

Michelle-my-belle: As I understand, Unitarian tries to be the "non-offensive, non-sectarian" sect of Christianity.

MikeMontana's photo
Tue 10/09/07 07:06 PM
@ArtGurl: Gee thanks.

MikeMontana's photo
Tue 10/09/07 07:03 PM
Whew, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks its disgusting!

The only thing I could think of was that he was hoping this was a promiscuous-gay-beach or something.

Oh, I forgot to add one detail. Clearly concerned that unsightly hairs would ruin the "chic bold balloon look", he shaved all round the area up to the navel and 1" around on the thighs. "HEY LOOK AT ME !"

MikeMontana's photo
Tue 10/09/07 06:41 PM
Jerzee Boy - Living in Piscataway/Edison area.

MikeMontana's photo
Tue 10/09/07 06:39 PM
I went to the Atlantic City Boardwalk on Saturday. Beautiful day, sunny, near-summer warm... then it happened.

A guy, in perfectly normal physical shape (meaning no flab, nor muscular) is walking by. He's wearing something smaller than a g-string.

Spandex bikini wear on a guy is bad-enough. I've seen enough water-sports events that this doesnt disturb me. This guy was wearing, and I'm not exaggerating, a string that had a balloon-like pouch for his jewels.

I say "balloon" because it was really like a film of balloon pulled taut squeeze in all the goods. Keep'em dry I guess. Overall it had the appearance of wrapping your goods in a sack of saran wrap.

If that didnt grab your eye, he had two "trinkets" dangling on his thighs - tied to the g-string.

Just foul.

MikeMontana's photo
Mon 10/08/07 06:29 PM
Part II is now posted at:

http://www.justsayhi.com/topic/show/43091

MikeMontana's photo
Mon 10/08/07 06:28 PM
/*********************************************
For those of you just tuning in, here is part 2
of my visit to India. I'm the bestman for my
friend AJ's wedding.

Quick Back Drop: Ajay-my friend of nearly 10yrs,
Pardeep-His younger brother, Manju-Sister,
Aarti-Youngest Sister

See Part 1 at:
http://www.justsayhi.com/topic/show/42470
**********************************************/

AJ swings by to get me around 11am - Today we are hand delivering formal Invitations.

He insists that we go grab brunch at a particular chipati place. This particular chipati place is famous because it makes crispy chipatis. Who am I to turn down chipati? This place is literally a hole in the wall. You'd certainly think "no way I'd eat THERE" based on the appearance. Across the street is the Mariott hotel in Amritsar. We sit at a dirty table, the waiter smears the dirty table mess around with a dirty rag. There's no menu, they serve only one thing. Its only a question of "how much". Ek ('one'). Simple enough. In a minute you get a waffle-crispy chipati with two small bowls of "dipping stuffs". The first one is a chick-pea stew, and the other is an onion-stew. You rip the hot chipati, scoop up stew, and sling it into your mouth before it spills. No need for utensils. This was FANTASTICALLY tasty. Really hit the spot. As we ate, AJ told me that the Marriott across the street is actively trying to close this hole down because it draws so many of its guests out of the hotel to eat these tasty chipatis. These were so good, that I can really see that happening. We ate, had mango-juice to wash it down, and were out of there for under $2. Keep the change mate.

Afterwards we made the rounds to invite various professional people to the wedding. First we went to the bank where his sister Manju works to invite her boss (previously, he was the boss of AJ who eventually out ranked this boss). Manju was there and was smilling proudly as an expectant mother. It struck me as very odd, how life can change so dramatically and unexpectedly. Three years ago she was at the wrong end of the ****ty-stick-of-life. Very sweet lady, got stuck with an abusive husband who abandonded her after the dowry money ran dry. She was terribly miserable, and the sweet family realized they had been taken for a ride. But today, I am sitting here at her job watching her smile and laugh as she and AJ make butter-talk with her boss. Her husband of a year is a great guy, very warm and friendly, charismatic but doesnt project it [met him the previous night]. Nice to see that prayers wind up being heard.

The invites are fairly informal, yet all done in the same format. You simply walk into the place of business and worm your way to the boss' desk. If a customer is there, you ignore them. The boss shoo's away the customer. A round of cold water is barked to the Gofer kid. Banks have an on-staff "Go-fer" kid. Who knew? Small talk ensues. A box of sweets and a wedding invitation is presented to the boss-man. A round of chai is barked. More small talk. After chai the boss shakes hands and we depart - onto the next stop.

Late in the day we goto AJ's office, which is another bank. Afterwards I see the "ATM" sign, and realize I'm running low on cash, better get some. ATMs are a wonderful thing - and how they've improved over the years. Remember how nasty the old ATMs were - you'd put your card in, do your business, and the card would be returned at the end of the transaction? How many times would ppl forget their card in the ATM? I so much like the newer ones where you insert, or swipe, and it burps the card right back out. Anyway, ATMs work here in Amritsar - just as quick and easy as back home. Even gives the balance (in rupee's of course). Only thing I dont like is that they are the "old" style ATMs where you insert your card, and it holds it till the end of the transaction.

Eventually we go to get a replacement hubcap for his car. There is a "hub cap" shop. It is next to the car radio shop. It is next to the car-battery shop. There is a small, particular shop, for each speciality. Each shop is a 10x10x10 shack, no lighting, no facilities. Just 3 walls. Why bother with so many tiny shops? Because you dont throw anything away here in India. Everything can be fixed. Repeatedly. I watched a guy open up a car radio, used electronic gear to diagnose, and then painstakingly repair a defective electronic component. Perhaps it took him 2 or 3 hours end-to-end. Maybe another to put it back in the car? In the US, its a joke to even THINK of repairing a car-radio. Just throw it out, buy a newer one with more features for less money than it would take to just diagnose the defective unit. For all his labor, he got $5 or thereabouts.

As we stood watching AJ got a phone call from his bank. He looks shocked. He quickly grabs me and we rush out of the parking lot. "You left your ATM card in the machine, a lady brought it to the manager, who is a colleague of mine. He has your card. Otherwise, you would not have a card". Christ did I feel stupid.

OOooooooooh can you imagine the world of hurt that would cause? I dont like the "old style" atms, they should be banned world-wide as carbon-producing death monsters.

MikeMontana's photo
Fri 10/05/07 08:39 PM
CHIVALRY IS DEAD - LONG LIVE CHIVALRY

Who wants it anyway? Mindless obsession to a romantic notion that someone else thought of, and thought it so long ago? No way. He11 with that idea.

My woman gets treated like one of the guys. In the way I treat my brother. Goofy jokes, gentle wrestling, and the ability to just "say things as they are". She's in the fold on all the intimate details and secrets.

My woman must work. She's got a fine mind, a strong work ethic, she can make a difference. She makes my world a better place, why not share that a little with everyone else too?

I dont beleive in professing a "chaste fidelity of heart, mind and body", and most definately dont claim an "endless love". No. Instead, we live it. Every night she comes home to be in my bed she's LIVING the fidelity. Every night that she sleeps by my side is a choice to love me that is renewed every night. I'll take commoner evidence over poetic promises any day.

So there... Chivalry is dead.

But, Where is my Guenevere? Long live Chivalry!

MikeMontana's photo
Fri 10/05/07 07:42 PM
BonnyMiss: You make chipati's ?!? I love you. Where do I meet you?

MikeMontana's photo
Fri 10/05/07 07:31 PM
Nothing annoys a guy more than worry-wort phone calling. Assume his lack of returning your call is a sign of either being legitimately busy, or plainly rude.

If he's being rude, cut your losses now, he'll only drive you nuts.

If he's really busy, then he wouldnt be able to speak with you in a meaningful way - so try to occupy your thoughts with something else until he gets back to you. Calling every so-often to "ping" for a response will really annoy him - especially if he's really busy.

MikeMontana's photo
Fri 10/05/07 07:28 PM
I once had popcorn w/ chilli pepper on it. At first it was disgusting, but, after a few nibbles, I got to liking it.

I also had popcorn with sugar-glaze on it (like glazed-donuts), that too was disgusting at first, but, grows on you after awhile.

MikeMontana's photo
Fri 10/05/07 07:23 PM
I was invited to be the Best Man at my friend Ajay's wedding in India. I'm sharing my travel experiences with all my fellow Travel-Lovers.

Other than my Dad's car blowing a radiator hose on the way to the airport, my journey was, overall, un-eventful. Thats an amazing thing really. Everyone has horror stories of travel. Not this time. I slept most of the flight to Paris. Had only 2hrs to wait for the connecting flight, and it took an hour+ to go through Immigration/Security (twice) to catch the connecting flight. Didnt even have time to check email in the airport. Slept most of the flight from Paris to New Delhi. Good thing too.

I was unable to sleep at the hotel in Dehli. I chose a place very close to the airport, because at 6am I would catch another flight across the country to Amritsar. Could not sleep - just way too much traffic noise. All night. Blearly eyed I caught the flight and slept most of that flight too. Bad thing.

I got to Amritsar, Ajay (my buddy who is getting married), met me there. We were not even finished with the "Hello!" embrace before the phone was ringing with his family asking if I had arrived. "Put him on the phone" they demanded. I was passed round to all the family with a very warm and very enthusiastic 'welcome back!'. I was previously here 4 yrs ago, and once prior to that. They asked eagerly "what would you like to eat? You must be hungry - tell us"
"Sab kuch" I replied - hindi for 'all/anything is good'. Wow did that make an impression.

I got quite a hero's welcome here. Last time I was here they introduced me to punjabi dishes and I particularly liked 'chipati', which is like a not-sweet pancake with various veggies (potatoes, onions, mild chilis). They loaded me up with chipatis! And I wolfed them down. Meanwhile we caught up on various things in everyone's lives, and they quizzed me about the hindi words they previously taught me. Lots of good laughs and good fun.

I puppy-dogged around Ajay all day. We ran out for chores and errands here and there, sat round bs'd, and eventually we went out to get a hotel room. He went in to negotiate rates, I fell asleep in the car. Had I gone in, the rate would be 2x.
Long ago they had asked if I would stay at their home, and being a westerner who likes western toilets and long hot showers, we decided it was probably best to crash at a local hotel instead. I think this made everyone happy. The plan was to grab a scnooze in the afternoon then meet up again for dinner. I slept a good 4 hours. I awoke at 8pm and sheepishly called AJ's house. They laughed and came to pick me up.

So far I've got to ride on a motorcycle several times, and in a car. I kinda like the bike. Traffic is CRAZY here. There are no rules that I can make out. Except with regard to a horn. Use it whenever you change direction, speed, or your mind. Beep freely, beep frequently. Beep for no reason.

We had dinner, a most excellent vegetarian meal [hardcore veggies here - no eggs allowed!] and sat round chatting till 1am. Back to my room and tried to sleep. Remember me saying "bad thing"? I did not sleep at all - I sat here watching TV in hindi. I know only a couple key phrases, and watching "The Empire Strikes Back" in dubbed hindi just doesnt work. Neither does "Godzilla 2000", although I think making it incomprehensible improved it somewhat.

The accomodations here are, somewhat sub-standard compared to what we expect at home. For example, my hotel room is costing me $13/day. For that, I get a queen sized bed, marble floors, a bedroom that is substantially larger than my apt, and a marble-laid bathroom that is nearly half the size of my apt. There's an AC in this room that could freeze a meat locker (it was so strong I had to shut it off - even 'low' was too strong). A TV set that is better than what I have at home - I am considering how difficult it would be to steal it. Did I mention that that the shower is a bucket of hot water? Ah yeah. Since the bathroom is marble-laid, there is no tub, no shower curtain, nada. Just splash yourself silly all over the floor. Really. Kinda neat.

Taking a bucket-bath requires some adjustment. But, its not too bad, so long as you are not in a rush.

I needed to have my clothes pressed after the flight. I called the front desk to ask if they had an iron to borrow, as most western hotels do. It took awhile to understand what an "iron" is - its called a "press" here. A few minutes later the bell-boy arrives - has asks for the clothes. (?) I didnt want to have someone else press them - I'm a cheap bastard. Twenty cents later, I had a freshly pressed set of clothes. I'm not a cheap bastard anymore. Its time for breakfast, I go round asking where the restaurant is. They give puzzeld looks and explain that its only room service here. The cheap bastard that I am isnt willing to pay outrageous prices for eggs in my room. Oh. Its only $1 for a Eggs/Toast/Chai [chai is tea, but, made more like coffee]. Bring on the room service!

I couldnt bear to be single and alone here in Amritsar, so I brought a "companion" to my room last night. Small little thing, slender, slinky and she's very quiet. Sleeps on the ceiling. Eats flies. Doesnt make a sound. Around 4am it got too cold from the A/C so the little lizard took off to find a warmer place.

Women are so fickle.

Amritsar is dirty. It is really dirty. Oddly, once you accept that its "just the way things are", you get blind to it. Its no dirtier than any other place in India, maybe even a little cleaner? But, it takes a couple hours to re-acclimate yourself to "its just filthy". Filthy like rubbish piles. Filthy like animal dung. Did I mention that the traffic is crazy here? Thats because the mix of trucks, farm-tractors, horse-drawn-carts, loose bullocks [think big cows], people, scooters, dogs, goats and whatever else doesnt fit on the sidewalk all crowd into the street. All at once.

The people are wonderful. Just wonderful. AJ's family showers me with warmth and affection - if it weren't for my family, I certainly wouldnt want to go back. His brother & sisters strain to remember their college-english classes so they can speak with me, and over the years I've noticed a serious improvement in their english. I strain to blurt out a few hindi words - they beam with gratitude, and burst out laughing at my mispronounciations and mis-usages. At one point, AJ quietly pulled me aside, "dont say that word - ok? we know what you meant, but, thats not what you said." Big ****-eating grin on his face.
"why - what did I say?"

Obscene gesture. Wink. Wink. Got it. Ooops.

Over the months I had been telling AJ about my breakup/divorce, as friends would normally do. I wondered what the family would say - last time I was here they were non-stop baragging me with questions about my wife and children and fawning over pictures of my girls... They have not asked a single word about mary. They asked about the girls of course, but, completely steered clear of any reference to her. The absence of any questions was clearly deliberate, and intentionally sensitive. I guess mary wont be getting a christmas card from them. Ha ha.

Today is the 1st of the 3day wedding ceremony. I will be accompianing AJ as he delivers some more of the wedding invitations. Its the custom for the groom to hand deliver a wedding invite shortly before the actual wedding - even though the persons have long since been invited/replied. We have been laughing while discussing how some of the people will respond when a westerner white-guy accompanies AJ for the deliveries. The word for westerners is "ghora", which means "white". It can be both derogatory, and complimentary. I am also going to be fitted for a traditional punjabi "best man" suit. Sort of like pajamyas. Should be fun!

Hit me with questions and comments - More in a day or so.

MikeMontana's photo
Thu 07/19/07 08:02 PM
Today I booked my tickets (Going to a wedding in India during 1st week of Sept). Found a great deal on Alitalia's site $900 round trip from Newark!! Newark - couldnt be any more convient! I book, and goto the checkout. Use my debit-Visa card. Denied.

Odd. The balance was fine. I call the airline. Walk through the process with the agent. Declined again. Ok, try my business visa-debit card. declined. I KNOW the balance is good.

I goto the bank. Explain my situation. The lady looks at the screens, calls the manager. They have funny looks. They print some papers. Then they explain that the purchase DID go through. Not just once, but TWICE. "...you need to call the airline".

Ping Pong. You know where this is going right? Finger pointing back and forth. All day.

In the end, the airline said "something must have happened in the transaction. You dont have any tickets, and we are quite sure the $1800 debit will be refunded at the end of the business day. You want to try purchasing the tickets again?"

Yeah. Right.

MikeMontana's photo
Thu 07/19/07 07:51 PM
"Mike, I thoroughly enjoy the way you describe life and tell a tale."

Thanks! I'm glad someone finds it funny! Gotta be something redeeming in these kinds of things. Worse, this is the SECOND time in 2 months that a woman was coming-on-to-me to get to female friend. Weird - not exactly my ideal fantasy....

-Mike

MikeMontana's photo
Thu 07/19/07 07:38 PM
Last weekend I had my first "stage performance" doing my own material at a show that I regularly tape. I was feeling like a rock-star. After the show a cutie comes up and starts chatting, 'I enjoyed your bit.... I see you're taping the show... my material was read by the host - can I get a copy of the tape?" gives me her email... and we talked for an hour or two [shes' probably early 30s]. I introduced her to the other actors, all developing a good vibe. We're talking to one of the actors, Cass, a friend that I'm hot-n-bothered-about, who says to us "...come to my show on Tuesday?". The cutie turns to me, "you going Tuesday?", "Why yes, of course" [I wasn't planning on it, but, I was suddenly sure of it].

On Monday Cutie emails me "....see ya tomorrow night right?" Yeah - whoooozYoDaddy! I'm psyched.

Tuesday, she shows up, we chat, watch the show. Lively fun chat. As the theater is closing up, I casually say "want to go get something to eat - pizza or something?" - she pauses, an uncomfortable look on her face, "um... well.... not tonite... maybe another night?" Blow off. Ok. We chat a little more, then *she* mentions it again, with a slightly different meaning "so yeah, one night I'd like to go out for dinner..." But, said it flatly. Then she had to go her way, and me on my way. Still a blow-off, but, now it was odd.

Havnt heard anything since, dont expect to. I spoke to one of the actors at the show that night, whom I introduced Cutie to, and told her this story. She laughed, "I dont think she was interested in YOU - I think she was interested in Cass!"

I thought about it... thought about it... and danm it, I think thats exactly it.

MikeMontana's photo
Tue 06/19/07 10:58 PM
Too personal? For me, or them? ha ha

MikeMontana's photo
Tue 06/19/07 10:51 PM
I had to pee, but, I was running late. Had to catch a train.

I'll go when I get to NY. 90min later I arrive, but the train was a
little late, and my friend's show was about to begin. I'll go there.

Show started. Cant go. Show's over. Gotta go - but my friends say "lets
go get something to eat..." I'll go there.

We all settle in to this decent little place, order some food, chit-chat
for awhile. I gotta go!

I get up to go, cause now I really gotta go - and just before me, two
guys, lovingly embraced with blushing cheeks slide into the bathroom.
Click - the lock bolt is slid.

I aint gotta go no more.

MikeMontana's photo
Thu 06/14/07 07:17 PM
Last year, when my honda was is in for repairs I rented a 2006 Ford
Escort. Everytime I turned the key, all the doors were locked. Everytime
I got out of the car, all the doors were locked - except the driver
door. What a huge pain when you have little kids to go round and
unbuckle etc. When I returned the car, I made a polite comment to the
Avis person about it, she laughed saying "EVERYONE hates that".

Last week, on a business trip, I rented a 2007 Ford Explorer. Same
annoying crap. Doors automatically lock the way Ford thinks I want my
doors to operate. Cant even disable that 'feature'. If I want my doors
to be locked, I would lock them.

But thats not all. The lights have a similar kind of "automatic
behavior". The windows too - press the "Down" button just right and it
will "automatically" go all the way (kinda like that one). Even the
radio/CD player has its quirks. The "deluxe audio" package has multi
disk player support, even tells you the name of teh FM station you're
listening to, and even tells you the name of the song being played on
FM-Radio! But, it wont play MP3 CDs! Duh. I smell "marketing focus
groups" at work.

Things like this say to me that Ford, and probably the other US auto
companies, still "dont get it". They spend more time and energy on
stupid things like "annoying automatic door locks" rather than just an
all around better quality/lower cost car. Sure they've come a long way
in quality, but, still too much emphasis on the wrong "needs".

Your thoughts?

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25