Community > Posts By > Walker001951

no photo
Thu 03/15/18 03:36 PM

Be yourself is IMHO one of those pointless feel good phrases. I mean, every second we live we literally can't be anyone else. Even actors are still being themselves, they are being the version of themselves which acts as if they are a different person.

I think what people mean when they say they are 'being themselves' is really that they are being the VERSION that they wish to embrace and put forth, and at other times when they were not 'being themselves' they were not being the VERSION of themself they wish to embrace, usually because it resulted in too much pain or not enough pleasure for them or someone they cared about.

Could it be that we really are ALWAYS 'being ourselves', but we have the choice of which self we embrace?

Which self do you embrace? your best self or something else? if you embrace your best self, how do you describe that version?

I hope to grow and evolve in being the best self for whatever the situation involves. I would describe my ideal best self as : patient, balanced, spiritual, logical, and humble.

WOW !Such a thought provoking question, ''being myself'..or ''doing it my way'' can mean doing whatever comes naturally at the time, acting without restraint..and too bad if others get hurt, of course dictators do this all the time ...but surely cililisation means that we have to conform to standards of behaviour so that everything doesnt come to a grinding halt....I think it goes to the heart of being self aware and above all being responsible for my actions....good or bad, ....the fact that humans have bigger brains than other apes means that we can

How do you describe your BEST self?

no photo
Wed 03/14/18 12:55 PM

i agree

A few days ago the much loved English comedian Ken Dodd died aged 90 years. Ken is said to be one of the greatest British comedians of all time, and having seen him at work I can only agree to that.
He loved his job so much that he just could not end his shows on time, the more people laughed the more he loved it, so the shows over ran by hours, and folk found the car park locked cos it was after midnight........:) a true master of his craft, he was once asked to 'explain' his success that spanned 70 years.....'' You can have all the talent in the world , but without a passion for the work, it's all wasted''

Ken was indeed passionate.

no photo
Tue 03/13/18 02:51 PM
i agree

no photo
Mon 03/12/18 02:29 PM

As a child I had a friend named Bailey.

I remember asking my Mom when I was about 5, why she hadn’t given me a pretty name like Bailey. Haha!

What first name would you have given yourself?

I would certainly have called me Burt,glasses after my favourite movie star, .but the traditional british way of choosing names for your kids was not to leave it to the fashion of the day, but to continue a tradition of naming........first son, was named after paternal grandfather, second son after maternal grandfather, first daughter after maternal grandmother, second daughter after paternal grandmother...after that it went to the parents, so , if you were the third son, you had same name as your father........

Burt Reynolds? Probably spelled wrong.

My family also insists on first names being family names. I don’t know that they follow any order really. . My Father wanted my first name to be Miya, but he knew he would offend his Mother if I wasn’t named after her Mother Zhanet. Janet is the American equal. She didn’t care for the American version, but he stood his ground and she got over it. Haha!

glasses A famous Irish politician had same name.......

I’ve never heard of an Irish Burt. Is that common?

His name was Albert Reynolds.....guess the temptation to call him Burt was just too strong :)

no photo
Mon 03/12/18 12:32 PM

I remember asking my Mom when I was about 5, why she hadn’t given me a pretty name like Bailey. Haha!

I would certainly have called me Burt,glasses after my favourite movie star, .but the traditional british way of choosing names for your kids was not to leave it to the fashion of the day, but to continue a tradition of naming........first son, was named after paternal grandfather, second son after maternal grandfather, first daughter after maternal grandmother, second daughter after paternal grandmother...after that it went to the parents, so , if you were the third son, you had same name as your father........

Burt Reynolds? Probably spelled wrong.

My family also insists on first names being family names. I don’t know that they follow any order really. . My Father wanted my first name to be Miya, but he knew he would offend his Mother if I wasn’t named after her Mother Zhanet. Janet is the American equal. She didn’t care for the American version, but he stood his ground and she got over it. Haha!

glasses A famous Irish politician had same name.......

no photo
Sun 03/11/18 02:17 PM

no photo
Sun 03/11/18 12:48 PM

What do you think a monster is?

Not just the dictionary definition.

Context is everything, monsters can be lovable, here in UK there was a TV commercial for breakfast cereal featuring a huge guy in a costume, with square shoulders and yellow hair, a sort of better- looking version of Frankenstein, and he was called 'The Honey Monster' ............the name caught on, and stuck firmly to a famous footballer of the time :)

no photo
Sun 03/11/18 12:27 PM

If for example a Katrina sized storm, or a Tsunami sized flood, or a huge wildfire (meaning ~90-95% devastation) was due at your house in 15 minutes, with your current preparations, how long would you last, or would you get away safely with some remnants of your former life. I know, it sounds gloomy, but stuff happens beyond our control.
So I have a tough suitcase for photos, movies, documents, and things like that.
A backpack with light weight camping gear, some basic survival gear, and few clothes. And 80 litres of water stored for drinking (don't need to take it all). A reliable vehicle and all the basic tools for it, spare battery, spare fuel and oil, belts, fuses and globes.
I reckon for me, 5 mins to load up car. Then depending on head for hills, coast, or inland, 5 mins to head away ASAP, and then in the next 5 mins everyone else is getting on the road, chaos starts to reign, but hopefully I have a head start.

I'm only a bit of a 'prepper', it didn't take much to organise, and at least you might save your life. smile2

Living here on an island, with constant traffic jams,and the BBC constantly reminding everyone that EVERY kind of weather is potential disaster, the idea of beating the rush to go where ever seems a bit pointless, escape? you gotta be kidding, I'd get 50 yards down the road....but at least I know it's coming......chilled white wine anyone? smokin

no photo
Sat 03/10/18 01:23 PM

Hi lovely people. I'm just wondering how different people deal with the case of the lonelies. I watch TV (usually Netflix) and talk on some chat sites. I've made some good friends there. But it's nice to connect with real folks.
what do you think?

I have my dab radio next to my bed, it plays podcasts too and audio books........listening to the sound of a friendly voice can be very sleep inducing, .I defy anyone to remain awake whilst listening to something for the 35th time ..:).I try to remember too that the sun does not actually go down, so if it's 2am and dark where I am, it must be bright sunshine and time to get up somewhere elseglasses .......

I also follow intercontinental flights

https://uk.flightaware.com/

no photo
Sat 03/10/18 12:48 PM

Y'know, In a way, I've already won a lottery.
I'm now a few years past my forecasted expiration date.
I can't spend the money I get and I have all the material things I need.
I'm threadbare in the romantic love department and for that, you don't use money (you can, but you get what you pay for).

On a humorous take:

"I checked Craigslist for a new girlfriend but the only ones in my price range were old beaters."
frustrated
slaphead

'' In a way''?..............glasses

no photo
Sat 03/10/18 12:41 PM

whatever i do, he is never sure of my love
always he is in sorrow, even when we are good
the next moment is always a potential disaster

Please tell your friend that the accepted wisdom is this:
'' all one can 'know' of love is that they love someone''...loving someone is all there is.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ENo-FHL1t0

no photo
Sat 03/10/18 12:37 PM

whatever i do, he is never sure of my love
always he is in sorrow, even when we are good
the next moment is always a potential disaster

Please tell your friend that the accepted wisdom is this:
'' all one can 'know' of love is that they love someone''...loving someone is all there is.........

no photo
Sat 03/10/18 12:26 PM

I couldn’t fib about my age if I wanted to.

My grandkids calling my cell in the middle of a date would give me away. rofl

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
?
Was it Oscar Wilde who said
“One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.”

:wink:

no photo
Sat 03/10/18 12:17 PM

anyone who pleasures in causing pain.

That's a sadist

synonymous then

Am I the old one on here old enough to remember the Monster Mashlaugh ?

no photo
Fri 03/09/18 03:17 PM

Dumping not as much as breaking things off. I probably felt worse than he did. I was mortified to have to hurt him, but was not willing to lead him on to even stronger feeling that I just didn’t share. sad2

Yes I can relate to that........if I had to play that scene again, even knowing that it would be our last meeting, and I would never see her again. the end result would still be the same , but, from where I am now, I would sit down and talk to her , give a smile, at least take her hand, not act is if she were a total stranger, show respect to her as a person....she deserved much more...perhaps I was afraid that she might cry, in our time together I saw only smiles,I never saw her cry...but I have forgiven myself for my insensitive behaviour,I was young, foolish, and after all: ' If your compassion does not extend to yourself, then it is not complete'

no photo
Fri 03/09/18 02:48 PM

Hey, If we're dreaming, why not dream big?
We can start with 500 Trillion dollars.

First I would take care of my loved ones.
Then I would hire the best doctors to restore my health to its best possible condition.
Wouldn't really party.

I would hire a security force and travel the country anonymously.
Would do things to help random people cope.
Like:
Go into grocery stores and prepay the store so that day, all sales were covered.
Go into utility companies and pay down outstanding family unit bills to a zero balance.
Construct housing for city homeless.
Fund free clinics for health care.
Pay down low income student debt.
Set up grants for low income trade schools.
Open a national recycling center.
Have community greenhouses constructed.
Plant fruit trees and berry bushes on city land.
Hire people to tear down and cleanup abandoned buildings and factories.
Provide a tax rescue fund for middle income families.
Expand and support the Habitat for Humanity program to include community projects like parks and recreational facilities.
Become a supporting sponsor at zoos, libraries and museums.
Open a life services national program to teach people basic living.
Build a high speed, seaboard to seaboard, transportation corridor with expansion allocations, including mag-lev abilities.
Line the highways in rural areas with a network of solar electric panels.
Construct higher capacity shelters in disaster prone communities.
Buy my own broadcasting network.

Then, with the remaining 498 Trillion dollars I would start doing the same for other countries.
Working towards making the 3rd world status a thing of the past.

Great list !...........the world needs you to buy a ticket!......:smile:

no photo
Fri 03/09/18 01:29 AM

(Hypothetically)

After the party phase is over, what would you do with your days?

Give £750,000 each to my daughters so they can finally move out of the family home, then put my feet up :smile:

no photo
Wed 03/07/18 01:28 AM

Hi lovely people. I'm just wondering how different people deal with the case of the lonelies. I watch TV (usually Netflix) and talk on some chat sites. I've made some good friends there. But it's nice to connect with real folks.
what do you think?

I have my dab radio next to my bed, it plays podcasts too and audio books........listening to the sound of a friendly voice can be very sleep inducing, .I defy anyone to remain awake whilst listening to something for the 35th time ..:).I try to remember too that the sun does not actually go down, so if it's 2am and dark where I am, it must be bright sunshine and time to get up somewhere elseglasses .......

no photo
Tue 03/06/18 01:16 AM

The only problem with living alone is its always my turn to wash dishes

:smile: :smile:

no photo
Mon 03/05/18 01:13 PM
Finally I've come to conclusion that it's not really the 'dumping' I regret, but more the manner in which I did it..it's the old story....small town childhood sweethearts, totally innocent romance,full of smiles, and she falling asleep in meadows under the stars on summer nights as I rambled on... no harm done,went everywhere arm in arm, plans for cottage by the sea, ......then I go to the city and am dazzled by the lights....fail to come home..not one for writing ,she writes me letters, one goes to four pages of hearts and arrows and pleas to come home....it was the only love letter I would ever receive....finally she comes looking for me, it's shock to meet her in the street, my thoughts are elsewhere.....

Such a gentle parting
on a summers day
not a cross word
or a kind one
nothing left to say
I who talked of love for hours
now use small talk
to hide myself from you
a million jokes
we used to share
where are they now
so far away