Community > Posts By > DavidCommaGeek

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/25/15 08:51 AM
I'd add a few more Interests just to be on the safe side. More is better!
Your pictures are of good quality, and show you in a variety of surroundings (I'm guessing the beard/no-beard shows your "winter" and "summer" sides?)
You might want to expand on one or two of your Interest in the body of your profile, so a woman has something specific to go on. Where do you like to go for weekend road trips, etc?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/25/15 08:46 AM
The first thread I wrote was on exactly the same topic, and I got a wave of answers just like Dodo_David's. He is of the group of people who seem to have given up on the "romance" of the site, and are just on to browse the forums. This answer also explains a lot of the behavior you'll see towards people on the forums, which I'm guessing you've already noticed.
I figure that if you're actually looking for happiness and someone to share it with, you'd give sites like Mingle Squared a longer visit than a lot of people do, or at least check in once every month or two. Mingle Squared is a great site in that it allows us to communicate for free, so that puts it head and shoulders above a lot of other sites I've used. I don't know why people would just give up on a good deal like that.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/25/15 08:40 AM
When things are going "good" for me, it usually means I'm very busy. When I'm busy, I usually don't have time to worry about much outside the business, so I have to say no, I don't worry when life is good. There are things to expect, look forward to, and some things which concern me (like getting the job done), but at those times in my life I don't worry too much about the future because the present is taking up so much of my time.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/25/15 08:28 AM
I, alas, have never owned a console platform myself. I was raised on the PC, and I've never looked for anything else. (One word: mouselook.) A lot of my friends and family went for consoles, though, and I do remember some great old games...

Mario the First (before Luigi and Yoshi came along)
Sonic the Hedgehog
The Pit of Doom (??) - a game where you controlled a little black stick-figure and had to run through a jungle and jump over pits of doom, pits of scorpions, etc, etc.
Street Fighter
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Marvel Fighter Something - you teamed up with a bunch of Marvel superheroes in your standard dungeon-crawler. That's where I first started liking Gambit from the X-Men a lot.
This may be a little later, but 007: Goldeneye

--------

They're bringing back some of these really old games for modern platforms (read, PC). I've seen Sonic the Hedgehog, DuckTales Remastered, and really old PC games like Raptor: Call of the Shadows (which I just bought again - seems glitchy) up on Valve Software's Steam service. Steam is making up a console version of itself, so you could probably get all these games downloaded to your modern Playstation or X-Box.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 02/25/15 08:19 AM
I think that fuzzily-outlined striding guy in the foreground is Bigfoot. It looks exactly like the pictures you see of him.

Whatever that object is, it's not an interstellar craft. The thing in the middle of the object looks a lot like a massive turbine or air vent, and those aren't very useful in vacuum.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Tue 02/24/15 10:53 AM
As for the 3 wise men... Christmas on dec 25 is supposed to be an arbitrary date to follow a pagan practice in order to convert people...

That was done A LOT, and not only Christians did it - they're just the ones who survived doing it. Christmas is set in late December to take the place of a lot of pagan and traditional celebrations for midwinter - the same goes for Easter for spring and Halloween for autumn. (You think it's any coincidence that Easter means the rising of Jesus Christ from the dead, when the whole world is "rising from the dead" of winter? Soooooooo much symbology has been lost or ignored in the past two-thousand years.)
(Also, why is "symbology" not a word in Mingle Squared's dictionary, but zymology is? Zymology apparently being the study of the fermentation process...)

Fortunately for the early evangelical Christians, there were a lot of things to work with. A lot of mythologies around the world have mention of a Great Flood, either at the creation of the world or sometime thereafter. There are also legends of giants and demons everywhere, even in the Americas. These were almost always antagonistic forces to humanity, which made things easier to get people to think of them as "anti-Christian" or "unholy".
In many mythologies, there were lots of male-led pantheons (i.e., a patriarchy) like Zeus, Odin, and Osiris that often had direct parallels to the acts of God or Jesus Christ. One of the more famous examples in literature is the parallel between Odin and Jesus - Odin sacrificed himself by hanging himself upside-down from a giant tree in order to gain wisdom. This was seen as a direct parallel to Jesus Christ being hung from the wooden cross and sacrificing his life for the Good of Mankind.

--------

Also, I hear it wasn't Jesus who was the vampire, but the Roman soldier Longinus, who stabbed Jesus with the spear.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Tue 02/24/15 10:36 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Tue 02/24/15 10:38 AM
Sure, the fact that Oprah is black is a factor, but I think two more-important factors are that Oprah is famous and outspoken. The camera can always be sure she's going to exhibit a reaction, and that's interesting to people.
If they were talking about Jews, the camera would zoom in to the nearest most-famous Jew. I think the same goes for pretty much any group mentioned in a public forum.

Was this on the Oscars or something?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 02/22/15 10:59 AM
I think legally it still counts as suicide - like "doctor-assisted suicide", only "hitman-assisted suicide". (Or maybe "assassinisted suicide"?) Philosophically and morally, it's still suicide - your main goal is to end your own life, just by someone else's hands. Philosophically, I don't see much difference between hiring a hitman to kill you, and throwing yourself off a cliff.
"But *I* didn't kill me, the GROUND killed me!"

I don't see why you'd want to waste the money when there are so many other, cheaper options. If you were that desperate to commit "_____-assisted suicide", then join the Army and ask for a posting to Iraq or Afghanistan. They give you a nice burial if they can recover the pieces of you.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 02/22/15 10:51 AM
I ignore all the people who bear a startling resemblance to the Mingle Squared logo. Does that make me a shallow, uninterested person?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:25 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sat 02/21/15 11:25 AM
Umm... Nephilim? Not quite sure where that fits in, but I hear they were responsible for a lot of "monsters" in the Bible and mythology.

Nephilim being the blasphemous offspring of humans and (fallen) angels.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:24 AM
Because a few days ago it hit 80o Fahrenheit, and today it's in the fifties, and I'm cold.

So I have a low threshold for being cold. Sue me! As long as it's in a warm courtroom!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:22 AM
Yeah... I think the fourteen-year-old wearing a revealing bikini outfit can share PART of the blame.... mostly because I've made a mistake very similar to that one, myself... *cough*
You can't see something that's not there to be seen - or if you don't have your glasses, you still may not see it.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:19 AM
I've been pretty lucky so far. In my paid positions, I haven't had to put up with much crap at all. My co-workers are generally friendly and helpful (though they're busier than I am, so sometimes it's hard to get a word in with a manager or someone I need something from), my direct manager is communicative and helpful, and the customers I interact with haven't been verbally abusive or rude. So that's always a plus.

As to how much crap I WOULD put up with... Not much. I have a low threshold for things like hypocrisy, favoritism, gossip, lying, and general business politics. I'm here to do a job, and as long as I do that job well, I don't like having my performance judged based on what other people do or say.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:14 AM
Also tell her to watch movies like Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and basically any other popular media that tells and re-tells the story.
It may not be true in real life, but I think these kinds of stories contribute to why "really ugly men think they have a chance with a beautiful woman".

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:08 AM
but I MUST SAY without glasses it does make my days. . VERY INTERESTING..LOL

I reference all non-glasses-wearers to Mister Magoo.
You think it's hilarious until you have to live it yourself.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 11:02 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sat 02/21/15 11:05 AM
Because... you also wore glasses for most of your life, and know how it feels to depend on them to see further than two feet in front of you? Because without them, you couldn't enjoy ANY of your favorite pastimes? Because people took one look at your glasses - not at you, but at your glasses - and came to snap judgments about what to expect from you? (Some of those expectations were even valid, but still.) Because you know what it's like to misplace your glasses, and panic in your heart until you find them, because you couldn't go outside without literally being guided by the arm? Because you also know how liberating it is to NOT depend on them now, and that your quality of life has been improved without the NEED for them?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 10:57 AM
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you wish to socialize with young, attractive women?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 10:53 AM
Speaking as a man who wore glasses for most of his life, I can say confidently that glasses are a weakness, and weakness is not an attractive trait in either gender. I got LASIK surgery a few years ago, and haven't looked back since (but if I did, it would be with much better vision).
Having reading glasses is a bit better, since it means you can function in the outside world with no real loss. However, also speaking as a man who has read for even longer than he's worn glasses, I have to say that it would be a pain to have to keep a pair around just for reading (the glasses I wore were good for near- and far-vision, so I only needed the one pair).

As far as the look of glasses go... I've only seen a handful of women on whom glasses look better than without - but with them on they were extremely cute. I'm not one of those people who thinks glasses makes people look "smarter", but I will admit they can work for a certain few people.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 10:44 AM
I always liked Jumanji. It may not be my favorite movie with Robin Williams in it, but it's the movie I always think of first when I think of Robin Williams.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/21/15 10:42 AM
All I can say on the matter is that I can do without all the ropes, chains, and whips. I prefer to hold my prey down myself.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25