Community > Posts By > Foliel

Foliel's photo
Tue 10/20/09 12:34 AM
I live in a small town where to my knowledge we have no homeless. I am probly wrong, but I do try to help people when they need it, if it is at all possible. Unfortunately i am one of the people that struggles to make ends meet and have on occasion wondered where my next meal will come from. During such times, I remind myself that i am still somewhat better off than the homeless people out there.

Foliel's photo
Tue 10/20/09 12:13 AM
I see all those commercials with Maureen Mccormack or Sally Struthers for children overseas, I would really like to see someone start a program like that for americas homeless and hungry children. The ones that you hear about living on the streets or in abandoned houses. It would be nice if celebs spent as much time adopting american children as they do adopting overseas kids.

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:54 PM
Edited by Foliel on Mon 10/19/09 11:57 PM
This is just one topic of many that people may feel is silly or that there are more important things in the world, BUT someone's rights being trampled simply cuz she chose to wear a tux instead of clothing for a girl is important.

It is not more important than the homeless or the unemployed but it is still important.

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:35 PM

By Chris Joyner, USA TODAY

JACKSON, Miss. — Veronica Rodriguez describes her daughter, 17-year-old Ceara Sturgis, as "a perfect child": a straight-A student, a goalie on the soccer team, a trumpet player in the band and active in Students Against Destructive Decisions.

Sturgis also is gay and feels more comfortable in boys' clothes, her mother says. So Rodriguez supported her daughter's decision to wear a tuxedo, rather than the drape customary for girls, when she had her senior portrait made in July. Now she is battling officials at Wesson Attendance Center in the Copiah County (Miss.) School District. Rodriguez said she received a letter from the school in August stating that only boys could wear tuxedos and have since refused to include the photo in the school yearbook.

The conflict is one of several this year involving how school districts handle cross-dressing students.

"The yearbook is not for the parents or the teachers. It's for the students," Rodriguez said. "She's not a troublemaker. She is gay."

Superintendent Ricky Clopton said the school district's attorney has assured him they are within their rights to exclude the photo.

Sturgis said she has received support from classmates and people around the nation. "It's really an amazing feeling," she said.

The Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union warned the district that they are violating Sturgis' constitutionally protected freedom of expression, legal director Kristy Bennett said.

Candace Gingrich of the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, said it is not uncommon for LGBT students to clash with school officials on this issue. "It's a matter of self-expression," she said. Other school conflicts this year:

• In Waldorf, Md., a Westlake High senior was denied the option of wearing a tuxedo for her yearbook photo. Her mother complained, and the school reversed the decision after discovering other schools had allowed it, schools spokeswoman Katie O'Malley-Simpson said.

• In Dunnellon, Fla., a 16-year-old boy was sent home in March for violating Marion County School District dress code by wearing makeup, high-heeled boots and a bra. The policy on the district website states that students must dress "in keeping with their gender." Kathy Richardson, of the school district, said the boy's cross-dressing was an isolated event.

• In Lebanon, Ind., school officials in March reversed a ban on cross-dressing when a female senior decided to wear a tux to the prom. The girl sued the district, but the issue was settled when a "gender-neutral" policy was adopted. "We were OK with making that switch," Lebanon High Principal Kevin O'Rourke said.

In Sturgis' case, the deadline for yearbook photos was Sept. 30. Rodriguez hopes the school will reconsider.

Contributing: Marquita Brown. Joyner and Brown report for The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss.

Article here http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-18-yearbook-photo-lesbian_N.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gotta admire her guts, though it seems she is having more trouble with adults than her class mates.

IM going to be the odd woman here. The yearbook pictures are a time consuming process that the SCHOOL pays for , they arent a private photo shoot to express yourself. There is a uniform code for the pictures that applies to everyone and is therefor fare. My son would have preferred to wear jeans on his picture day too but the boys were required to wear suits. It was one day for one event and I think those paying to have the pictures taken had the right to try to keep things uniform. The rest of the year they may dress how they wish.

I paid for my own senior class pictures/yearbook pictures. I probly varies from school to school but I had to go to a private photographer for mine.

That would dictate you wearing what you want. Now, whether the yearbook publishers and editors chose to include the pic,, would be up to them. My son is in public school the school has paid the photographers to come that day and take pictures, the photographers dont wait for the kids payments. Many take the pictures but dont choose to buy them. Photographers couldnt work that way , they are paid by the school first,,(at our school)

I didn't have a choice lol, the school wouldn't pay for pictures. All the seniors had to pay for their own pictures.

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:29 PM

By Chris Joyner, USA TODAY

JACKSON, Miss. — Veronica Rodriguez describes her daughter, 17-year-old Ceara Sturgis, as "a perfect child": a straight-A student, a goalie on the soccer team, a trumpet player in the band and active in Students Against Destructive Decisions.

Sturgis also is gay and feels more comfortable in boys' clothes, her mother says. So Rodriguez supported her daughter's decision to wear a tuxedo, rather than the drape customary for girls, when she had her senior portrait made in July. Now she is battling officials at Wesson Attendance Center in the Copiah County (Miss.) School District. Rodriguez said she received a letter from the school in August stating that only boys could wear tuxedos and have since refused to include the photo in the school yearbook.

The conflict is one of several this year involving how school districts handle cross-dressing students.

"The yearbook is not for the parents or the teachers. It's for the students," Rodriguez said. "She's not a troublemaker. She is gay."

Superintendent Ricky Clopton said the school district's attorney has assured him they are within their rights to exclude the photo.

Sturgis said she has received support from classmates and people around the nation. "It's really an amazing feeling," she said.

The Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union warned the district that they are violating Sturgis' constitutionally protected freedom of expression, legal director Kristy Bennett said.

Candace Gingrich of the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, said it is not uncommon for LGBT students to clash with school officials on this issue. "It's a matter of self-expression," she said. Other school conflicts this year:

• In Waldorf, Md., a Westlake High senior was denied the option of wearing a tuxedo for her yearbook photo. Her mother complained, and the school reversed the decision after discovering other schools had allowed it, schools spokeswoman Katie O'Malley-Simpson said.

• In Dunnellon, Fla., a 16-year-old boy was sent home in March for violating Marion County School District dress code by wearing makeup, high-heeled boots and a bra. The policy on the district website states that students must dress "in keeping with their gender." Kathy Richardson, of the school district, said the boy's cross-dressing was an isolated event.

• In Lebanon, Ind., school officials in March reversed a ban on cross-dressing when a female senior decided to wear a tux to the prom. The girl sued the district, but the issue was settled when a "gender-neutral" policy was adopted. "We were OK with making that switch," Lebanon High Principal Kevin O'Rourke said.

In Sturgis' case, the deadline for yearbook photos was Sept. 30. Rodriguez hopes the school will reconsider.

Contributing: Marquita Brown. Joyner and Brown report for The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss.

Article here http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-18-yearbook-photo-lesbian_N.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gotta admire her guts, though it seems she is having more trouble with adults than her class mates.

IM going to be the odd woman here. The yearbook pictures are a time consuming process that the SCHOOL pays for , they arent a private photo shoot to express yourself. There is a uniform code for the pictures that applies to everyone and is therefor fare. My son would have preferred to wear jeans on his picture day too but the boys were required to wear suits. It was one day for one event and I think those paying to have the pictures taken had the right to try to keep things uniform. The rest of the year they may dress how they wish.

I paid for my own senior class pictures/yearbook pictures. I probly varies from school to school but I had to go to a private photographer for mine.

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:23 PM
I was 12 when my mom met the man she is still with today. I made life rough, but I was going through hell myself after 4 years of rape by the same man. My mom and I fought alot, there were lots of time I wouldn't even speak to her. I spent most of my time in my room and only came out for food. I never tried to run her life or at least I didn't think I was. It took a long time for me to realize what I was doing and finally accept that I needed help.

My mom did have a standing rule with any man she dated. Her kids ALWAYS came first. She would wait a reasonable amount of time before introducing him to us. I can't say I was always the nicest kid but at the time I hated men. Her boyfriend and I now have a good relationship, not great, but good.

My mom was also a single mother for many years before meeting this guy. She always said "How can i be happy in a relationship if I can't be happy being single." So she made sure that she was happy.

You'll never be happy with someone if you can't be ok without someone.

Don't give up on it, but don't try to force it. When it is the right time you'll know it.

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:08 PM
I see nothing wrong with the way she chose to dress. I highly doubt her goal was to look like a boy, she just felt more comfortable in a tux than she did in a dress. My mom is 52 and has never once worn a dress in her life. Jeans and T-shirts, when we would go out, she would wear jeans and a nice blouse or a sweater. She didn't even wear a dress to my sisters wedding.

I should point out that my mother has been handicapped since she was only 28, she only has one leg and a broken back, whcih I would figure would make a dress more comfortable.....Not gonna happen lol

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:04 PM
I never got the flu until the flu shot lol.

I didn't get it from the shot, I just found it ironic that I got it after getting the flu shot. I should have trusted my body and not gotten it lol

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:02 PM

story of irony...

got the flu shot a couple weeks ago...then got the flu itself....

I hope you're feeling better now.flowerforyou

I'm starting to feel better, still a little off from it tho.

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 09:52 PM
story of irony...

got the flu shot a couple weeks ago...then got the flu itself....

Foliel's photo
Mon 10/19/09 11:59 AM
The high school I attended was gender neutral, we could wear clothing that we were comfortable with. They always kept trying to instill in us the idea of individuality :)

Foliel's photo
Sun 10/18/09 11:23 PM
I'm the odd man out, I'm 33 single and I love it. I hated being in relationships. Although I do feel bad for the ones that aren't happy, I wish you luck finding the right person :)

Foliel's photo
Fri 10/16/09 04:24 AM
The child was found hiding in a box in the garage, he was never in the balloon. (added in case soemone had missed the other topic about this)

Foliel's photo
Thu 10/15/09 06:56 PM
Edited by Foliel on Thu 10/15/09 06:57 PM
thats your daughter, i didn't even know how to hold a gun at 9 years old lol much less how to shoot one.

BTW She is very smart, you are obviously a wonderful mom flowerforyou

Foliel's photo
Thu 10/15/09 09:11 AM
Yes and No doesn't really fit the question. It all depends on the child, I think the punishment should be dictated by the child's mentality and the reason behind the crime.

I watched an episode of Law & Order: SVU that had a similar question. Two teens killed a person and one of them was charged as an adult, and one was charged as a minor due to his mental capability.

So while the punishment should fit the crime, the child's mental capability should also be taken into account.

Foliel's photo
Wed 10/14/09 08:20 PM

Benedict Arnold was originally a general, promoted once to major general, in the american continental army. He switched sides after he was passed over many times for a promotion. Somehow I doubt they would have promoted him if they thought he wasn't loyal. I also believe that there was a pledge in order to be a high ranking officer.

Regardless of that, there shouldn't be a need to say a pledge to prove loyalty to ones country. That just shows lack of trust in our citizens (in my own opinion that is)

benedict Arnold was always loyal to england . the pledge is not manatory nor should it be ,but makeing a big deal about not saying it shows disrespect to what ever country you live in . if you don,t want to say it don't.

=====================================================================
He was a spy from the start .

I'm not arguing this anymore, we just do not agree on this. I have done my homework and studied this man. I'm not gonna beat this to death. Let's get the topic back on track :)

Foliel's photo
Wed 10/14/09 05:46 PM
I agree with Daniel, parents will have to stand up to the schools to make sure that kids have a choice :)

Foliel's photo
Tue 10/13/09 03:22 PM
Edited by Foliel on Tue 10/13/09 03:23 PM
I was mentioning that he was loyal without a pledge, I wasn't sure if the military had some for of it even back then. He was loyal, at least till he got screwed a few times.

Now to get it back on topic lol

Sorry equus for veering it off course.

Foliel's photo
Tue 10/13/09 03:14 PM
Edited by Foliel on Tue 10/13/09 03:20 PM

Benedict Arnold was originally a general, promoted once to major general, in the american continental army. He switched sides after he was passed over many times for a promotion. Somehow I doubt they would have promoted him if they thought he wasn't loyal. I also believe that there was a pledge in order to be a high ranking officer.

Regardless of that, there shouldn't be a need to say a pledge to prove loyalty to ones country. That just shows lack of trust in our citizens (in my own opinion that is)

benedict Arnold was always loyal to england . the pledge is not manatory nor should it be ,but makeing a big deal about not saying it shows disrespect to what ever country you live in . if you don,t want to say it don't.

for someone that was always loyal to england, he battled them off a quite well. He fought them off at saratoga, delayed them at lake champlaigne as well as having a successful military career in the american continental army. He didn't defect until he was passed over for promotions a few times, and credit for his wins was given to other people, that is when he negotiated with the british.

I could care less if people want to say it or not. I have great respect for my country and will always have respect for it. I got on this subject after hearig about schools trying to suspend students for not saying the pledge. If the student does not wish to say they shouldn't have to.

Foliel's photo
Tue 10/13/09 03:12 PM

for someone that was always loyal to england, he battled them off a quite well. He fought them off at saratoga, delayed them at lake champlaigne as well as having a successful military career in the american continental army. He didn't defect until he was passed over for promotions a few times, and credit for his wins was given to other people, that is when he negotiated with the british.

As for "if you don't want to say, don't say it" tell that to the children that schools tried to suspend for refusing to say it. I could care less if people want to say it or not.