Community > Posts By > massagetrade

no photo
Fri 11/06/15 05:18 PM
I've never once had any viruses or malware on any linux box, ever in nearly 20 years of using linux.

I'm currently using ubuntu, security updates are generally given very quickly after the problems are discovered - much faster than windows or mac os.

no photo
Fri 11/06/15 05:15 PM

i have been running Linux for over 8 years. but i think my hard ware is letting me down. my system was built and maintained by my son. with all most no trouble till now. but he is not near now to maintain it now. and he is saying i might want to go to Windows. and new hardware. as my Linux friends have brain washed me to thinking Windows is not as good as Linux. i think that my support people is very important. what think?

I'm not familiar with windows 10, so things may have changed. But for most of the past 15 years I'd say that - as long as you use a mainstream distro on supported hardware - linux systems are less trouble than windows systems.

Of course, if you get unsupported hardware, or a poor distro, there will be problems.

If you are thinking of getting new hardware, I would recommend a 2015 Chromebook. They are easier and more trouble free than anything else out there. (And, you can run ubuntu in a chroot on most of them!)

no photo
Fri 11/06/15 05:11 PM
This doesn't speak to the two options presented, these are just my thoughts because I'm also looking for a laptop:

I heard the latest Skylake chips from Intel are really a boon for battery life - if battery life is a concern.

If you want to future proof your laptop, you might wait just a few more months and get a good deal on one with a few Type C ports.

no photo
Wed 11/04/15 10:02 AM

I'm am working in China and they have a KFC here in the next town... it sucks... its never the same as home...

Is it actually chicken?

no photo
Fri 10/30/15 01:11 PM

Did I see a couple of pieces of corn in one of those steaks?

laugh

no photo
Fri 10/30/15 12:08 PM

Carson is a danger to the Democrats. He could cancel the block vote of the blacks ...

I have the impression (anecdotally) that most black people dislike Carson, but I could be wrong cause I've not seen any real data.

no photo
Fri 10/30/15 12:00 PM
I have conversations with these folks on a regular basis. Not *specifically* the people behind this specific campaign, but other members of their ideological tribe.

It is an absolute lie when they represent themselves as merely trying to help people be more considerate and kind to others. Some of them, maybe, but many others are part of a grass roots campaign that makes Orwell's 1984 seem tame. They wield immense social power in the under-25 group, and they control language in order to control thought.

The only reason they aren't demanding these words be outright banned is because they know there would be greater backlash if they did. Instead, they are starting smaller.

no photo
Fri 10/30/15 11:46 AM
Edited by massagetrade on Fri 10/30/15 11:50 AM
This cannot be real! The chemical changes in food are too numerous. And there really isn't enough nutrition left to matter.

I have a feeling that there are some steps being left out in the article.

If you trace things back far enough, _everything_ we eat was once poop, it's just been changed by the cycles of life.

Probably they are just trying to shorten the cycle. Rather than use poop as fertilizer for plants which we eat, they are using it as fertilizer for bacteria which somebody then eats.

I'm might be okay with it as long as there is some serious sterilization happening in between, and rigorous safety testing. Even eating meat from the grocery store brings small amounts of fecal bacteria into your kitchen.

Edit:

I need to read more closely, if the article is right then I was wrong:

"After isolating those proteins in the lab..."

This could imply that they not only separated the bacteria from the rest of the poop, but they actually broken the bacteria completely apart and separated out the non-protein - extracting only the protein, which was then used to synthesize in the next step.

I mean, this is really far removed from being poop. Its a derivative of the protein extract of some of the bacteria in the poop.

no photo
Fri 10/30/15 11:37 AM
and reinforce in both tomboys and janegirls to embrace the ANATOMY that nature/god/biology,,,, gave them?

I'm a bit angry about this topic because I believe strongly in human rights, and in some ways some trans people have been oppressed; but some of the trans activists just way go too far.

Just like with feminism and anti-racism, the basic ideas are absolutely morally righteous, but then some people go down these weird rabbit holes in their belief systems.

For example - as you say about labelling 'male' and 'female' - some trans activists are so irrational that they actually freak out over someone using the biologically correct terms 'male' and 'female' in a medical/biological context.

no photo
Thu 10/29/15 10:59 AM

since the 80's, IMHO. the LGBT has gained much power, political and social, and successfully IMMERSED (a process that people use to absorb information, especially in foreign languages) society in the 'born that way' ideology,,, first by getting medical society on board in spite of the usual requirements for verifiable evidence,,,,,and by gradually immersing anyone who watches media (television, internet) into the 'normalcy' and 'mainstream' expectation and finding social mouthpieces to shame everyone into accepting it, and by including it in the educational process ITSELF,,,,,

its the conditioning of society,,,

obviously, my opinion, like most posts are (opinions)

I agree that the 'born that way' claim is over exaggerated - some people act as if their upbringing, early sexual experiences, personal choices, etc have NOTHING to do with any nuance of their sexual preference...

...but I think the scientific/medical evidence is actually quite strong that there are prenatal factors that *influence* sexual orientation. That much is not really controversial.

no photo
Thu 10/29/15 10:52 AM

One's sex is real. Most humans are definitely either male or female, and there are a few who are not. Sex is relevant for medical reasons, for procreation, and a few other contexts.

Everything else is just culture. Gender is a fabrication. Gender is only as real as we make it, by believing in it and giving importance to it.

Gender is largely a means of making assumptions about other people, a mechanism for putting individuals into limited boxes. I see how this is convenient, but I also think is unfair to many people - not just supposedly 'transgender' people.

From the intersex society of America

"Intersex is a socially constructed category that reflects real biological variation"

you seem to be right , society has decided to add this designation for all the 'inbetween', that happens outside of the historical anatomical designations that we have used for all animal species and has been determined by role in procreation

intersex is a social construct

but procreation is a factual starting point with which we used to define FACTUALLY and BIOLOGICALLY which part of the role the anatomy plays

males fertilize
females bring life into the world

unles something is 'wrong' with the individual anatomy itself

Yeah, 'intersex' is as much a social construct as 'man' or 'woman'.

I don't get these transgender activists. I think most of them are going about it all wrong.

They insist (and I agree) that 'man' and 'woman' are 'social constructs' (as opposed to the biological reality of male/penis/XY and female/vagina/XX)...

... but then they go on to make a really big deal about how some females are "really men in reality". If 'man' is a social construct, then no one is a 'man' in a 'reality'. You are a 'person with a penis and XY chromosomes' in reality, and a 'man' only because you and others have decided you are.

You can't have it both ways. If gender is fluid and a social construct, then most transgender people are just getting caught up in the same social constructs the rest of us are - many more so!

If we want to be more fair to intersex people, I think its better to move away from stereotypes and too much attachment to gender signifiers. If penis-born people want to wear dresses or make up, I don't care. But when penis-born people say "I'm a woman! See, I'm wearing a dress and make up!" they are really just *strengthening* the power of gender as a social construct.

no photo
Thu 10/29/15 10:34 AM
Edited by massagetrade on Thu 10/29/15 10:35 AM

It tells you how little protection women get in this country; or demand.

No, it tells you how little protection they USED to get, THIRTY YEARS ago.

Things have changed in the US, dramatically, especially for the younger generation.

In many universities, the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction they skipped right past justice. Now, men's lives can be ruined by unsubstantiated and unlikely accusations of rape, without due process, and the 3rd wave 'feminists' (apologies to true feminists/equal rights proponents out there) will cheer.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that Cosby was an incredibly powerful person. This is a gender issue, but its not *only* a gender issue. These women were not just victimized because they were women and he a man, but also because he specifically had great financial and social power and they did not.

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 08:03 PM

The "black lives matter" movement is like a plague. It has become "cool" and politically correct to hate cops.

drinker

Like so many ideologically motivated movements, there is a 'reasonable' branch and a 'whack job' branch of the movement. With 'black lives matter', the whack jobs have stolen the mic.

In Oakland, they are even protesting the shooting of armed aggressors!

except the manager did serve her and the clerk didnt refuse to serve but was waiting on customers during a busy period,,,

Honestly, that sounds to me like damage control after the fact... but maybe it is true.

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 07:58 PM

I respect this woman's desire to stand up for her convictions, but she should have just quit. I wouldn't work at a meat factory where they butcher animals, and she shouldn't work for the clerk's office where she is required to give licenses for gay marriages. Leaving her job is the only legal (and imo honorable) way for her to stay true to her convictions.

Actually her lawyers offered a compromise, her name being removed from the marriage certificate. I love how almost all of the mainstream media ignore that one big point.

Was this offer rejected by the opposite side, or by the judge? It sounded to me like the judge was being needlessly heavy handed. I honestly don't know if such certificates would be equally valid, or if she would be properly executing her duties under that kind of compromise.

The judge.

Seems like maybe this judge took personal offense at some things, and might not have been interested in a reasonable compromise.

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 02:36 PM

The "black lives matter" movement is like a plague. It has become "cool" and politically correct to hate cops.

drinker

Like so many ideologically motivated movements, there is a 'reasonable' branch and a 'whack job' branch of the movement. With 'black lives matter', the whack jobs have stolen the mic.

In Oakland, they are even protesting the shooting of armed aggressors!

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 02:24 PM

I respect this woman's desire to stand up for her convictions, but she should have just quit. I wouldn't work at a meat factory where they butcher animals, and she shouldn't work for the clerk's office where she is required to give licenses for gay marriages. Leaving her job is the only legal (and imo honorable) way for her to stay true to her convictions.

Actually her lawyers offered a compromise, her name being removed from the marriage certificate. I love how almost all of the mainstream media ignore that one big point.

Was this offer rejected by the opposite side, or by the judge? It sounded to me like the judge was being needlessly heavy handed. I honestly don't know if such certificates would be equally valid, or if she would be properly executing her duties under that kind of compromise.

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 02:06 PM

Seems that the only ones upset by this are conservatives who aren't in Alaska.

drinker

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 02:01 PM
Anything that brings more Muslim-raised and Christian-raised people into better community and fellowship seems like a good thing to me. Maybe their shared humanity can help them overcome the 'hatred towards others' which is taught by both religions.

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 01:57 PM

no photo
Fri 09/04/15 01:54 PM
Retrofitting bathrooms is expensive.

Architects, building code legislators, contractors, etc should just start planning now for the future political clout of our new SJW overlords.

I don't know the solution, but some kind of new approach to 'gender neutral bathrooms' are going to become politically necessary.

Maybe it could be as simple as providing more 'single use bathrooms' and making them genderless.

1 2 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 24 25