Community > Posts By > Tigardman

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 04:45 PM
What other series/authors do you guys read with anticipation of their upcoming books? Any?

Sword of Trush? (sadly its hit Jordan-esque writing where the first 2-3 were great and the others just dragged. Hopelessly addicted to what happens with Richard Rahl)

Ever read the Runelord series by David Farland. The first 5 are great, a great new and fresh idea for the concept of "Rune Lords"

RA Salvatore--Writer of the Drizzts series has a new series coming out, Started with Highwayman. Great if you enjoyed the Dark Elf books.

George RR Martins new book will hopefully come out soon. This is the only author I know that is not afraid to kill off well developed characters. Morbid, but refreshing.

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 04:01 PM
The Brandon Sanderson site has a interview he did with Dragonmount on how exactly it went down. Like you I found the last 4 to be extremely slow and boring. Seems like they didnt flow as well as the first 7.

Perrin is cool, I like how his character has changed from when you first read about him. Sometimes I want to reach through the books and bonk him on the head, but overall hes a good solid character. Elyas and his love for Faile is great. Faile seems to be a take charge, no bs kinda lady.

How bout you Smiless....favorites?

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 03:57 PM
Welcome to Mingle hun.

We wont hold it against you if you know Mayhem!:wink:

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 03:45 PM
Edited by Tigardman on Fri 06/19/09 03:45 PM
http://www.dragonmount.com/

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/

Should help.

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 03:43 PM
Its not his final book. Brandon Sanderson has been touting it as 750,000 words in its unfinished form. So a usual Robert Jordan book will be around 250,000 words. Hes putting it out in 3 volumes over the next 3 years. Hopefully we will learn what happens at Tarmon Gaidon, where Moraine is, how the Lion Crown will survive (since its the key to TG), and how Rand will do against Shaitan.

I reread the entire 11 books in the last 2 months to get keyed up for the new one coming out in November.

Which book is your favorite? Which character is your favorite? What storylines bore you to tears and which you find exciting?

Which book is my fav--Crown of Swords/Lord of Chaos

Which Character is my favorite?--Lord Matrim Cauthon

What storylines bore me to tears?--Usually Elayne/Nynaeve storylines bore me to tears.....but not always...Bowl of the Winds was a good sequence...and the Rahad.

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 03:37 PM
Early riser, 330am is my usual time to get up. Gives me time to wake up to a cup of coffee, take a shower, and generally wake up before 5am.

So Canyonville huh? Originally from down south as well (coos bay).

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 03:35 PM
Rule #1 to keep in mind when talking to a woman. Keep veering the conversation towards her, a fair amount of the women you talk to enjoy talking about themselves. Not to say that they are self absorbed, its just a easy topic to relate to. Listening to her will give you some helpful tips to store away for later.

Ladies, am I off base here?

TM

no photo
Fri 06/19/09 04:34 AM
Hey Doodle.

Whats shaking with you today?

TM

no photo
Thu 06/18/09 04:17 PM

A helmet.

LOL...that my kinda woman, lookin out for her other!

love

no photo
Thu 06/18/09 03:12 PM
smokin Hun.

no photo
Thu 06/18/09 01:58 AM

I wonder why alot of what's written can be taken the wrong way so often??? Humor is such a vital and complex thing isn't it? Where are all the silly sarcastic 30 and 40 something people out there? What do some of you think about using sarcasm, teasing, and overly serious people?

This is part of a email I got from a friend.......

"What does the week bring for you. Anything funny? Planning to wax your butt???... you know something like that? "

Its sentences like this that make me chuckle a little bit inside. Its pretty awesome to see that people havent lost their sense of humor in todays PC world.

Our society seems to me like it disdains silly/sarcastic people, thats probably some of the reason that there are fewer and fewer of these people in todays masses.You cant seem to crack a perfectly good joke without harming at least 1 ego.

So here is something for all you sarcastic, silly, ironic people out there.

drinker

and MWG,

"Dont smile....sarcasm might be watching!"

TM

no photo
Wed 06/17/09 03:43 PM

How you doin?

Welcme to Mingle Sea! Great pic.

TM

no photo
Wed 06/17/09 03:41 PM

Wow, someone comes in looking for advice and automatically gets the smash and bash parade, welcome to mingle!! drinker

Yea, like the ladies said, be sure first, don't stress it till there is something to stress about, and then STRESS LIKE CRAZY!!!!!

just kidding.

Dump the part time/as needed crap. I mean hold on to it until you find something but you need to get on the ball and get your life in order pretty quick, baby or otherwise. Construction/Surveying are easy jobs to get, it's hard work but it's steady and in the end a decent profession. Flip through papers and put a resume out there, don't wait on one to "come to you," go out and get one. She probably needs to be doing something in the meantime as well, y'all are in this mess together and need to work together to make something happen, just my opinion of course.

Step two, she's not going to be able to work for a couple months if she's pregnant and she's not going to be pulling in much money on a short term job, will probably save you both a lot of headache if one of you can stay home with the kid, and one that young, probably better her if you've got higher credentials.

Life is tough man, and you're about to find that out real quick so fasten your seatbelt and get ready. I don't have a lot of time but know this.
1. You're not going to get the job you want and it's probably not going to make you happy.
2. You've got a lot to go through and a fast learning curve ahead, so muster up some motivation and make it happen.
3. Your chances of survival through this thing, if you are prepared to work hard and make some sacrifices, is fair. Don't let it drag you down, let it make you a stronger person.

Maybe once you get working for a while you can start chasing the money a little but for now put first things first, man up, grab the bull by the horns and take charge of your life. My best advice ever. If you need someone to talk to let me know and I'll try to help.

One last note, get out of the mindset of parents are asshats, or whatever it was. They may be, but you might need a little help and being the bigger person, taking a little grief, and trying to get along when anyone else would quit will go a long way. Later and good luck.

The Geckgo

Great advice Geck, some of the exact things I was going to type.

TM

no photo
Wed 06/17/09 03:30 PM
Is this question seriously being asked?

slaphead

no photo
Wed 06/17/09 03:25 PM
Welcome Silver Surfer!

Hope you find what you are looking for here in Mingle.

Good Luck,
TM

no photo
Wed 06/17/09 03:22 PM
People have called my humor a mix between dry, witty, sarcastic and quick. I want a woman who wont take advantage of me.(personally id take this sentence out, its pretty obvious no one wants that) My favorite colors are __________________________ (pick one or two, not the whole spectrum). I like chinese and mexican food, as well as good old fashioned chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes. Top all that off with sweet tea and a smile spreads across my face as wide as the horizon. Love cooking, just need someone to share a kitchen with?

I am a Wranglers and cowboy hat kinda guy, who loves to listen to good country music. Im shy at first because I am nervous, then I turn into myself-goofy, random, dorky and fun.

Might want to reread it and see if this is what you want to say. Took some things out that really would appear flat or dull. Ive left some sentences (with remarks after it, read and decide)

I just took 5 mins and summarized what I read.

But good luck Lonely,

You seem like a pretty levelheaded guy, albeit a little dorky like the rest of us.

TM

no photo
Tue 06/16/09 06:55 PM

When I was a kid adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up.

What with walking twenty five miles to school every morning…

Uphill…

Barefoot…

BOTH ways…

Blah, blah, blah.

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they’ve got it!

But, now that I’m over the ripe old age of thirty, I can’t help but look around and notice the youth of today…

You’ve got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today don’t know how good you’ve got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn’t have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn Library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!!

There was no email. We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen!!!

Then we had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!!! Stamps were 10 cents!!!

Child Protective Services didn’t care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick my ass! Nowhere was safe!!!

There were no MP3’s or Napsters. You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!!! OR you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ’d usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!!!

There were no CD players. We had tape decks in our car. We’d play our favorite tape and “eject” it when finished and then the tape would come undone cause that’s how we rolled, dig?

We didn’t have fancy crap like Call Waiting. If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that’s it!!!

And we didn’t have fancy Caller ID either. When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was. It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn’t know! You had to pick it up and take your chances mister!!!

We didn’t have any fancy Sony Play Station video games with high resolution 3D graphics. We had the Atari 2600. With games like “Space Invaders” and “Asteroids”. Your guy was a little square. You actually had to use your imagination. And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!! And you could NEVER win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died!!! Just like LIFE!!!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on. You were screwed when it came to channel surfing. You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel. There was no Cartoon Network either. You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning! Do you hear what I’m saying?!? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons you spoiled little rat bastards!!!

And we didn’t have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove…imagine that!!!

That’s exactly what I’m talking about! You kids today have got it too easy! You’re spoiled! You guys wouldn’t have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!!!

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

You forgot the whole rant on VCR vs DVR, Can actually remember getting our first VCR when I was about 10. A movie I can watch anytime I want, HOT DAMN! Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and all of the corny old time musical/dancing movies that my mom brainwashed my sister and I to watch (since it was the only thing we could watch since we didnt have reception).

TM

no photo
Tue 06/16/09 06:38 PM

"___________________!!! That/Those are/is the STUPIDEST thing(s) I've ever heard of!!"

Discuss.

(I'd start this thing off myself, but my list is about as long as a roll of toilet paper.)
:laughing:

Low Rider Trucks
Non-Alcoholic Beer

no photo
Mon 06/15/09 09:11 PM
"Good....., Bad....., Im the guy with the gun"

Ash is the man.

TM

no photo
Mon 06/15/09 07:18 PM
David=Beloved

Which made me curious as to the meaning of my middle name. Which meant "Craftsman", made sense.

TM

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 14 15