Community > Posts By > Peter_Pan69

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:37 PM
Here's an easy one for the 99.99th percentile.

What is the literal interpretation of "Are you alone?" if Jill asks Joe over the phone?

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:30 PM

What is the literal interpretation of "Are you alone?" if Jill asks Joe over the phone?

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:25 PM

Jb,

What do you think about the assessment at the bottom of this post?

--

Joe is in one room of a house. Jill comes in and asks Joe if he's the only one there. Unbeknownst to Joe, Mary is in the other room. Joe answers "yes". Is Joe lying?

Pan:

Joe was most certainly lying.

He did lie if you take the question and his knowledge literally.

Joe Knew Jill was also in the room as he responded to her question.

I say that an answer of "no, of course not" should be Joe's honest answer.

Jill was literally asking Joe if he was isolated from others.

The above claims rest upon a couple of very dubious presuppositions.

1. In order for it to be true that "Joe was most certainly lying", then Joe would have to believe that Jill was asking him to count her when she asked him if he was the only one there. In fact, we would have to know that Joe believed that in order to be certain.

2. Saying that "an answer of 'no, of course not' should be Joe's honest answer" is to say that Joe should believe that Jill was asking him to count her when she asked him if he was the only one there.

I think that a person who is lying is a person who is stating something he believes to be untrue.

If a person believes what he is saying, then he is not lying, even if what he is saying is not true.

Lying is deliberate deception.

Now Creative knows that. Does Peter know that? I don't honestly know. His game is ego driven.

Fiction...

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:19 PM

Deflection...

Answer my question first...

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:14 PM
lol, what predictability!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:13 PM

Can anyone say "projection"?

Make an argument for your position Pan.

LOL! how blind are you?

My argument has been made. You keep trying to pin your delusions to them.

Can you say deflection and denial?

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:08 PM

Your argument depends upon Joe counting Jill. Are you saying that in order for Joe to answer Jill's question honestly that he SHOULD BE counting Jill?

Feel free to hide behind rhetorical BS, but I know you can't answer my direct questions without making your position look arbitrary and silly.

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 05:03 PM

I say that your "literal" interpretation is silly and misleading.

I also say that you wrongfully assign your nonsense to my position.

Then make sense of your claims... Offer an argument which shows how "no" SHOULD BE Joe's honest answer. I've effectively shown how that requires Joe to believe that Jill expects him to count her. Your argument depends upon Joe counting Jill.

The problem is not me, it's YOU.

My claims make sense to anyone who knows the definition of literal.
They are there for anyone to read.

I can't fix your confusion...

Offer an argument for why "Are you alone?" would mean "Are you alone or am I here too?"

It's time for you to offer an explanation for your ignorance of language skills.

Feel free to hide behind rhetorical BS, but I know you can't answer my direct questions without making your position look arbitrary and silly.

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:54 PM
jeanniebean wrote on 3-29

I have to agree with Peter in that if a person is totally literal and totally logical (like a robot) they might truthfully answer--

"No, you are in here too."

True, that most humans have the ability to assume that the speaker is not including himself, but a robot looking at the situation as it is (literally) would have to include the speaker.

Q: "Are you alone?"
A: "Not any more."

Q: "Are you alone?"
A: "I was until you got here."

Q: Are you alone?"
A: Not counting you and the mouse in my pocket, yes, I'm alone."

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:51 PM

Skeered...

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:42 PM

Make an argument.

I say that your "literal" interpretation is silly and misleading.

I also say that you wrongfully assign your nonsense to my position.

Your whole argument has been based on your misrepresentation of my words as well as the definition of "literal".

I also claim that you refuse to engage in meaningful dialog by your refusal to answer my questions when I have answered yours.

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:34 PM

You need to leave. Seriously. Go somewhere else, I'm not interested.

Noone is interested in being proven to be mistaken, that's why you want me to leave.

You must leave if you can't deal with these blatant facts...

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:32 PM
Edited by Peter_Pan69 on Tue 04/03/12 04:32 PM
My prediction still stands!!!

Look, I know you won't answer it because you know I'm right.

If you can't be intellectually honest, then you're being dishonest.
Something which is painfully obvious to anyone who has seen your behavior in this thread.

This is your chance to man up and engage in meaningful dialog.

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:23 PM

You appear to be afraid to answer a direct question creative.

Show how gifted you are in reading comprehension and answer it if you dare.

**I predict creative will refuse to answer a direct question that exposes his lack of knowledge.**

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:12 PM

What a putz.

LOL, I think you lied about your qualifications...

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 04:00 PM

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 03:42 PM
Interpretation doesn't matter?

Do you realise how silly and incorrect that statement is regarding communication?

If interpretation doesn't matter, then what is your argument based upon???

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 03:15 PM

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 03:11 PM

I want to know if you understand basic language skills.

You have consistently shown that you do not...

slaphead

If you only knew...

laugh

I do know:

Just so you know, I'm not saying this to be boastful in any way shape or form, but I'm trying to do you a favor by revealing a fact to you that you're obviously unaware of.

When it comes to basic language skills, reading comprehension, and the like, I've always scored in the 99.99% on standardized testing. That is the highest mark possible. You do not know what you're talking about. Let it go.

That's good for you.

Then it should be painfully obvious that you are misrepresenting the proper use of language as well as the literal meaning of "Are you alone?"

So teach me what the literal interpretation of that question is.

no photo
Tue 04/03/12 02:47 PM

You're avoidance is just evidence that you do not know the meaning of literal.

And your redundant posts are indicators of your lack of an intelligent rebuttal.

Shall I pull out my predictions of your refusal to answer a direct question?

What's the literal definition of "Are you alone?" ???

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next