Community > Posts By > Scrittore

Scrittore's photo
Fri 12/18/09 06:50 AM

The bible was one of the first books (beyond See Spot Run) which I tried to read, as a very young child. I couldn't get very far, due to a lack of vocabulary, but I tried repeatedly.

I think a lot of children are far more logical than adults; I've been conditioned by life to habits of thought and the acceptance of ideas, and I think I was smarter when I was a kid. Anyway, what I did read of the bible made it clear to that this was a work of fiction, and a mythology comparable to the greek mythology. I thought adults were crazy, and was honestly baffled that everyone seemed to recognize zeus as myth, and no one seemed to recognize satan as myth. It made no sense!

I'm also amazed at how few (people who call themselves) christians actually read the bible. I've spent far more time reading the bible, in my life, than the the vast majority of christians I've known. They listen to it being read to them at church on sunday, but so very few read it themselves.

So i think thats part of your answer, Peccy. They just believe what their friends, family, and neighbors believe, and many don't really look into what the bible actually says.

Zeus had a rubbish PR man, he didn't claim to be the one and only true god and believe me, it's a god-eat-god world...

Scrittore's photo
Fri 12/18/09 06:39 AM
Edited by Scrittore on Fri 12/18/09 06:41 AM
Well, for convenience I crudely lump them into Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant strains.
If you really want to know how many Christian philosophies there are, my guess is that it roughly correlates to the number of practicing Christians.

-Edited to cover my sub-par typing skills (practice is probably a better word than skills).

Scrittore's photo
Fri 12/18/09 06:19 AM

See, there is a movie which you might enjoy, called "Space Balls". But you can't watch Space Balls until after you watch Star Wars! I made that mistake with 300 and "Meet the Spartans". I ruined both movies by watching them out of order...or maybe they really sucked that bad to begin with.

Meet the Spartans was an absolutely dire spoof, I took my seven year-old cousin to see it and even he was unimpressed, I had to watch three hours of Get Smart to restore my faith in piss-taking.

However, regarding the point of the thread, I have very little idea at the moment. I used to say I believed in reason, but I'm having a crisis of faith at the moment. Secular humanism? Why not, she'll do for now.

Scrittore's photo
Fri 12/18/09 06:07 AM
An atheist is a medieval criminal or a 21st century realist.tongue2

Nietzsche flattend my sex drive. laughing

No! Do not allow this suppression of your will!

Scrittore's photo
Sun 11/22/09 03:18 PM

My father came from a Catholic family and my mother was raised in the Jewish community, but by the time they met one another both of them had reached an agnostic position. Consequently, I didn't really encounter religion until I went to school, as the Catholic primary (grade, if you're American) school was considered the best in the area. Even then though, I didn't get exposed to much as Mum told the principle that I was a practising Jew.

So I never decided to become an Athiest, I was just raised without religion. 'S nice.

My parents were methodist until 1 year after I was born. After a year of me, they looked into heavens a declared, "THERE CAN BE NO GOD!"
I seem to have that effect on people....

laugh Superb.

Scrittore's photo
Sat 11/21/09 06:58 PM
Edited by Scrittore on Sat 11/21/09 07:06 PM
But assumming that God is a benevolent and omnipotent entity etcetera, why would he develop a means of creation that relies upon a dispassionate, even cruel, system of competition?

My argument would be:

The existence of God is unverifiable, ergo so is any influence he may have on the temporal world.
Evolution is a temporal phenomenon.
Consequently evolution can be considered as free from divine influence.

Scrittore's photo
Sat 11/21/09 06:51 PM
My father came from a Catholic family and my mother was raised in the Jewish community, but by the time they met one another both of them had reached an agnostic position. Consequently, I didn't really encounter religion until I went to school, as the Catholic primary (grade, if you're American) school was considered the best in the area. Even then though, I didn't get exposed to much as Mum told the principle that I was a practising Jew.

So I never decided to become an Athiest, I was just raised without religion. 'S nice.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 10:11 PM

No apology necessary...flowerforyou

Bravo! :wink:

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:54 PM

okay right...like you don't walk in everyday life as it is?

Damn, I'm sorry you went over my head old son.

For 1: you have no power over nature,as your headliner reads>>>an another...you're 20 yrs of age???
huh

Well quite, I mean, my dog usually sits when i tell him to, but the headline's meant to be foolery. And yes, I'm 20.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:51 PM

It's not a moral consideration..it is a personal choice for a woman.

I agree completely, but to reach that conclusion we've had to think about ethics, and I don't believe people should be dismissed from ethical dialogue.

JT and I are friends, we banter..don't feel like you need to defend him...
I am not dismissing him, he can and does say whatever he wants to me.

I think I've sounded too caustic? My thoughts were light hearted as I typed the message, I'm sorry. flowerforyou

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:43 PM

It's not a moral consideration..it is a personal choice for a woman.

I agree completely, but to reach that conclusion we've had to think about ethics, and I don't believe people should be dismissed from ethical dialogue.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:39 PM

okay right...like you don't walk in everyday life as it is?

Damn, I'm sorry you went over my head old son.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:27 PM

i'm all for not having an abortion, i wouldnt. but generally adopted kids want to eventually find there birth parents. imagine that poor child knowing that he was a mistake due to rape. that would destroy my life. and i used to think that having an abortion was murder, but after reading all these comments im starting to think its not. your just preventing that childs life?

That's a reasonable way to look at it. To my mind, so long as the operation is performed before a nervous system is established, all you're dealing with is potential, there's no real life.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:23 PM

This subject is a no win or lose subject!

It's will be up the Woman,it's up to her in my opinion !

Just as the nation struggles with Gay rights?

WE HAVE THE RIGHT,TO BE !

But so did the Fairy Penguinslaugh

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:20 PM

the ONLY way i could ever see abortion being an option is if it was a situation where the mother was at RISK of losing her own life during the labor and even then i think it should be discussed between both parents if they want to take the chance of having the baby or not

Your not a woman...and never have to worry about giving birth.

That doesn't bar him from moral considerations.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 09:05 PM

Wow! I think I figured out who god is!

God is the people and everything that lives on Earth. That is god!

Not a single plural being in one sense.

It is all of us and we are the ones responsible for our happiness.

So we look into ourselves and onto every person on this planet.

This is God!

How do you feel about this conclusion?

You've been reading your Spinoza, very good.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 08:38 PM

The funny thing is, if everyone HAD to have the child, these same people b!tching about how they are against it, will just be b!tching about having to support the kids mom on welfare and want to punish the child because of that.laugh

Less of the ad hominem tactics maybe?

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 08:32 PM
I'm fully in favour of the right to choose.

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 04:56 PM
I like the way Shane MacGowan put it in his two masterpieces:

From 'A Rainy Night in Soho'
"Now the song is nearly over,
We may never find out what it means,
But there's a light I hold before me,
You're the measure of my dreams"

From 'Fairytale of New York'
"Her: You took my dreams from me,
When I first found you."
Him: I kept 'em with me babe,
I packed them with my own,
Can't make it out alone,
I built my dreams around you..."

Scrittore's photo
Wed 11/18/09 04:50 PM
Edited by Scrittore on Wed 11/18/09 04:59 PM

:heart: Why be in a relationship at all?:heart:

Pff... biological imperative? I'm told that they're worth it if you find the right person.

A lot of my friends, the ones who do very badly with relationships, behave like binge drinkers; they get carried away, go over the top and wake up in the morning feeling like death, covered in bruises and cuts and vowing to never drink again.

And then they drink too much again.

And then they wonder why they're health's gone to soddery.

It works if you can relax and take things in reasonable moderation, otherwise you're just in for a headache and too many regrets.

Previous 1 3 4