Community > Posts By > smiless

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 02:38 PM
The slender young lady with light curly hair and bright eyes, fidgeted restlessly in the fourth-class section of the train, as around her rough labourers and peasant women jostled and pushed. For five years, Marja Sklodowska had struggled and waited to make her way from Warsaw to Paris. Nothing could discourage her now. She sat back, and dreamed of Paris. Little did she know that due to her stay in Paris, she would become the most famous scientist in the field of radioactivity ever.

By what name is Marja Sklodowska better known?

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 02:38 PM
That is correct! happy

Lagrange, the great French mathematician once said of Lavoisier's tragic death: "It took but a moment to cut off his head, but it will take a century to produce another like it." This is Lavoisier's story, a tale of what might have been if reason had triumphed over emotion.

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:52 PM
Edited by smiless on Sat 11/07/09 12:53 PM
The Fermi Paradox was first stated by Enrico Fermi in 1950 during a lunch time conversation. Fermi, a certified genius, used some straightforward math to show that if technological civilizations were common and moderately long-lived, then the galaxy ought to be fully inhabited. The vast distances of interstellar space should not be a significant barrier to any such civilization --assuming exponential population growth and plausible technology.

"Contact" should thus be completely inevitable; we ought to find unavoidable evidence of "little green men" all about us. Our Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) should have been quickly successful.

We don't. It hasn't been. That's the paradox.

This paradoxical failure is sometimes called "The Great Silence".

The Great Silence suggests that space traveling technological civilizations are extremely rare (or very discrete). There have been a number of explanations for the why such civilizations might be rare. I list four explanations below. You can choose the one you like; they are as close to destiny as we are likely to get.

Technology civilizations may rarely form. We live in a very dangerous universe. One big gamma-ray burster can sterilize a galaxy. Supernovae are common, and they sterilize a pretty good chunk of space every time they blow.

Intelligence might be hard for natural selection to produce, or perhaps multicellular organisms are hard to make. This thesis was well presented in a July 2000 Scientific American article "Where Are They"?

July 2000 by Ian Crawford. Vernor Vinge, in his science fiction murder mystery Marooned in Realtime includes "rare intelligence" among the several hypotheses he suggests.

Technological civilizations may be very short-lived; they may universally fail. We've lived with nuclear weapons for a while, but our past challenges are dwarfed by our increasing "Affordable Anonymous Instruments of Mass Murder" problems. The latter problem will afflict every technologic civilization. This is the most common of the "universal failure" explanations. It is easy to see how this might be so for humanity, but need all sentient entities be as self-destructive as we are?

The universe we live in was designed so that we would be alone. There are a few variants on this idea, but they're fundamentally very similar. I list three here. In some ways the Fermi Paradox may be an even stronger "existence of God" argument that the usual "balance of physical parameters" argument.

Some non-omnipotent entity created our universe (there are allegedly serious physicists who speculate about how one might create a universe) and deliberately tweaked certain parameters so that sentience would occur on average about once per galaxy. Maybe they lived in a crowded galaxy and thought an alternative would be interesting.

God created the world in 7 days, and He made it for man's Dominion. He didn't want anyone else in our galaxy, maybe in the entire universe.

Nick Bostrom makes a credible argument that there's a reasonable likelihood that we exist in a simulation. If so, then perhaps the existence of an non-human civilizations does not suit the purposes of the simulation. (This could be considered a special case of "God created the world...")

All technological civilizations may lose interest in exploration quickly and comprehensively, in spite of whatever pre-singular predilections they might have had.

It's a kind of variant of the "self-destruction" solution, but I think it's more likely to be universal and inevitable.

What would cause all technological civilizations everywhere to lose interest in colonizing the universe -- despite whatever biologic programming they started with? The process would have to be inescapable, perhaps an inevitable consequence of any system in which natural selection operates. Others suggest that this something is the "Singularity", a consequence of hyperexponential growth. In the set of "universal failure" solutions to Fermi's Paradox this is sometimes called the Transcendental solution or the Deification solution.

http://www.faughnan.com/setifail.html

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:31 PM
It was 1780. A leading French scientist rejected an application for membership to the French Academie des Sciences by Jean Paul Marat. Little did he know that this would prove his doom.

"The Republic does not need scientists", said the Chief Justice of the French Revolution. Marat had denounced that very same scientist as a "champion of tyrants and a pupil of scoundrels." He was arrested, charges were trumped up against him and he was executed by guillotine in 1794. So ended an era of scientific exploration.

Who was this man?

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:31 PM
Very good! You are so wise!

Malpighi's name lives on even today. He has been immortalized in the Malpighian layer of the skin, the Malpighian corpuscles of the kidney and the spleen, and also, and most importantly in the annals of science, as a man who continued to fight on regardless of the odds.

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:20 PM

Hey smiless!

Flowers erupting into asthetic beauty...

drinker

There is our designer! Now imagine that! Of course I am just joking. laugh

Have a great time debatingdrinker

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:19 PM
So no ideas? I will wait one more day then give the answerdrinker

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 12:03 PM
So the long story short is that we don't know if there is a designer. We come up with alot of conclusions but nothing is solid yet. Is this about right?

Have you ever felt like the world is a fancy tuxedo and you are nothing more then a pair of old and worn out brown shoes? laugh

Maybe I should swallow a power pill or something to get my mood in gear. grumble

Well what it is worth, I would rather enjoy the life of a flower blossoming on a spring day then to worry if there is a designer. In my opinion let us just enjoy what is given to us or what is available.

Now if we absolutely need to know, I believe we need to have more advance technology that allows us to travel to other galaxies to find more information in understanding our universe. This might give us ideas or perhaps more answers that scientists or philosophers have been asking about for as long as we have existed.

What say you friends?

no photo
Sat 11/07/09 11:57 AM
Well thankyou for the compliment. That made me happy. I also spend time in a foster home every Friday entertaining the children with magic tricks, telling stories, and spoiling them with candy. I have been serving this home for some time now and even contributed computers with internet access. as of school material so they can study more efficiently. It is in my heart to help each and everyday. It is in my nature.

On Thursdays I help a blind man go grocery shopping and I put away his goods exactly at the same spot in the kitchen each time so he can find it.

All this is done for free, but in the end I feel good about it. Who knows maybe one day I will need help and I hope I can get somekind of help when needed.

Well anyway thanks for the short story and if you have more to share then please do. drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 10:01 PM
Maybe I can do one handed pushups after drinking thatlaugh drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 08:10 PM
Edited by smiless on Fri 11/06/09 08:12 PM
Coming soon!

Have you ever wondered where hip hop originally started and for what reasons? What created a spark and have its own music genre later? Or who invented the human beatbox, breakdance, or the first international concerts in hip hop? Well then this book will surely give you some answers. Of course you will have to answer trivia questions. You didn't think I was going to make it that easy did you? For the Mingle2 crowd this ebook is free. drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 03:03 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Jeannie and James are even human. you are like sponges sucking up tons of knowledge each daylaugh drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 12:03 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Albert Einstein was even a real human.laugh drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 12:01 PM

Okay so I decided to consult the Tarot for an answer to the question:

"Is the Universe intelligent?" laugh :tongue: :wink:

Card drawn: 7 of cups. In this card a woman sits in her chair daydreaming. The foggy swamp behind her represents her imagination and her dreams. The seven cups surrounding her represent dreams and myriad options. What she desires may be right under her nose just waiting to be seen and recognized, but the cups blend in so well with their surroundings that you can hardly see them and it is as if she does not see them at all. She just sits there and daydreams.

While the Emperor represents order efficiency and neatness this card stands for all that is sloppy, impractical and lax. The universe is lazy and disordered.

Actually you could call it chaotic. Perhaps “order” is what we strive for rather than the actual condition. This card may imply that the universe is a dream and the dreamer is in a lazy and chaotic state of mind. Or perhaps we are still half asleep, or just barley conscious.

The advice to the dreamer might be to manifest your dreams by using creative visualization to focus on specific goals and bring them into physical reality.

I interpret the card as meaning that the universe itself is not intelligent, but that it is a dream environment for intelligent life forms who co-create reality. They are ultimately responsible for the chaos and the order in their personal reality.

Perhaps the card is telling the truth. Very good prediction. drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 07:08 AM
Wow imagine you win the whole darn thing! That would be so cool!

Good luck!drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 07:07 AM

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 05:25 AM
Edited by smiless on Fri 11/06/09 05:26 AM

Funny this. My psychology textbook brought up an author of US history and how he was at the Vietnam War Memorial. Some woman wandered over and they were discussing the sadness and history of it all and she asked where he'd been earlier in the day. He told her the Antietam Memorial. She had no clue what he was talking about. His comment was how can US citizens call themselves patriots and yet not know the very basis of the history of the US.

Reminded me of college history and the professor asked who knew where Vietnam was. Only 2 people raised thier hand, myself and a guy who had been stationed there. Sad, really sad. What's even worse is that we didn't really touch on it in school. I learned most of my history and geography from my dad and mom.

It certainly is a issue that needs to be addressed. Just imagine how many don't know about world history if they have a problem learning about their own country.

It looks like President Obama has acknowledged that the United States is falling behind in Science and Math and has dedicated 4 billion dollars into education. Schools would have to apply for this grant money. I do hope that the money will be invested into better teachers who want to make a difference for our children, new textbooks, up to date technology, better pay, and a bunch of other significant changes to make education interesting for future children. That way they can understand what this country went through or even name the capital of Minnesota without looking it up.

Thank you for addressing that. drinker

no photo
Fri 11/06/09 05:18 AM

The flapping of a single butterfly's wing today produces a tiny change in the state of the atmosphere. Over a period of time, what the atmosphere actually does diverges from what it would have done. So, in a month's time, a tornado that would have devastated the Indonesian coast doesn't happen. Or maybe one that wasn't going to happen, does.

Very interesting post Smiles. I do understand what the "The enlightenment of the Buddha" is talking about. Its pantheism basically. Everything being connected.

As for the butterfly effect ... wow. I wonder what happens when I pick my nose? rofl rofl rofl

Don't do it! It could create a major snow storm where you live!laugh drinker

Thanks for the laughhappy

no photo
Thu 11/05/09 10:21 PM
Completed! Are you curious about the state flags or the United States Flag. What do you know about the confederate flag or the President's Flag. What did the very first flag look like. Enjoy 100 trivia questions about United States Flags! Free of course. Just email me to get a copy.

no photo
Thu 11/05/09 10:12 PM
Now I can really confirm it has been trampled onlaugh laugh laugh drinker