Community > Posts By > smiless

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 12:36 PM
Edited by smiless on Tue 11/03/09 12:45 PM

John -- Here's a snip of something that I consider fun. Let me set this up -- a girl named Lyndsey has inadvertantly discovered a new color. No one else can see it. So she decides to take the piece of newspaper, on which the new color has been created, to school with her and see if anyone else notices it.

Actually, this particular bit is more about the art teacher, but it all ties together:

On Monday, she takes the crinkled piece of newspaper to school with her. She has devised a way to test people on their ability to see the new color.

What she does is this: she tells each one that she has mixed some colors from existing paints, and she would like their opinion as to which of the mixed colors they feel would look best on a random product – a shirt, a wall, a car, etc.

She does not tell them that there are four mixed colors on the paper. She simply asks them to look at the blobs of paint they see, and decide which one they like best.

She figures that if anyone actually does see the new color, their reaction will give it away.

It doesn’t. No one sees it, or admits to seeing it. At the end of the day, the vote goes 14 for orange, 11 for blue, and 6 for gray.

She asks her English teacher, her history teacher, and her math teacher. None of them sees it, either.

Finally, she goes to the art teacher, a rotund, snowmanlike fellow named Mr. Chastain. (He is often drawn, by his students, with a carrot for a nose, and an old stovepipe hat.)

Mr. Chastain looks approvingly at the newspaper, holds it up in front of himself at different angles, making “mmmmmm” noises as he does so.

“Modern art,” he finally says, favoring Lyndsey with a brief grin. “It is made of nothing and everything, yet people tend to pooh-pooh it whenever they see it. Warhol could have told you that, he understood. A Brillo box. It is art, too, because it represents an aesthetic – a failed aesthetic, perhaps, but then a successful aesthetic generally ceases to be any kind of aesthetic at all.”

Lyndsey has no idea what the man is talking about. She suspects that, perhaps, he doesn’t either.

“A successful aesthetic – do you know what that becomes, Lyndsey? A trend, a tradition, a timeless and tedious inertia. It’s why we have two political parties, really. If you think about it. The common man has no stomach for subtlety, let alone choice, in any real sense of the word. The shame – the real and true crying shame – is that no one cares anymore. Art is art is art, no? No. It’s product, it’s a sellout. Self-sellout, really, because art is art is art is money now. Take out some of the extraneous arts, and art is money. Why? Because it represents the people who create it, and those people are all obsessed with money.”

She wants to interrupt him, but she is stumped as to how or when to make the attempt.

“Creativity has been put into a box, and then the box has been nailed shut. And buried. At sea, or maybe in space. Our creativity nowadays is like a gun with no bullets. You can hold it in your hand and threaten people, but it has no bite. There’s no ammo. All that’s left is a hand holding a gun, and a few memories of loud bangs.”

“Mr. Chastain, I wanted to ask you a question about this newspaper.”

“Hmmmmmm? Oh, yes, of course. I notice you have placed some colors onto a few small areas of the page. It strikes me as an indictment of the world at large. News is product no less than art is product. You combine the two, in a minimalist setting – small dots of color intruding on small bits of news. Reductio ad absurdum. At what point does the relevance, the meaning, the clarity, the direction, disappear altogether? Is this an extra credit project? I’ll tell you what, it shows an interesting perspective on art. The contrast, the colored spots on the black and white newsprint, this is a dichotomy. I like it. It’s good. It’s not MOMA good, but it’s good. I’ll give you a B+. How’s that?”

Lyndsey brushes her hair out of her eyes. “That’s great, Mr. Chastain, I could really use the extra credit, but I also wanted to ask you a question about the colors.”

The teacher peers at the paper again, turns it, shifts it, holds it above his head.

“I like the gray the best, to be honest. It has a sort of solid nobility to it. I could see wearing a suit that color, if I wanted to blend in somewhere and not be noticed. It’s a soothing color. The blue is a bit infantile for my tastes, and the orange is a bit too gaudy. I would say tone it down, add some yellow, make it less metallic.”

“And those are the only colors you see?”

Chastain looks again; and, for just a fraction of a second, Lyndsey is convinced that he sees something there, something different and unusual...

But no.

“Newsprint, a few grainy photos, and a bad drawing of the sun up in the corner with the weather forecast. Oh, and there seems to be an empty white spot for some reason. But I don’t see any more colors.”

He offers the newspaper page back to her. She takes it, and sighs. “OK, thanks, Mr. Chastain. I will think about what you said....”

....until I understand it, which will probably take another 4000 years....

This particular writing has the reader also curious about what color are they looking for? I mean how was it determined to get a B+ anyway? It is a good grade nevertheless, but the art teacher surely is detailed about the work she does.

It was a great read and kept me curious the whole time. drinker

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:12 AM
Yes ecology should be the world's concern! Very interesting article you write James. Thanks for sharing that with us. drinker

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:08 AM

It is estimated that there are 1022 stars in total in the universe.

huh?

I looked back and it is 10 then tiny 22 above it. I guess Mingle2 doesn't allow us to do this. So just see 10 and to the right of that number 22 floating above it as small numbers.

Just for information, if you can't type ten to the twenty second power using superscripts, it is indicated by 10**22. The two asterisks mean "to the power of", one asterisk means "times" like
10*22=220. 10**22 is a very very big number (10x10x10... twenty two times).

Good to know! Thanks for the info.drinker

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:35 AM
GENEVA — A rare Panamanian tree frog, a rodent from Madagascar and two lizards found only in the Philippines are among over 17,000 species threatened with extinction, a leading environmental group said Tuesday.

The Rabb's fringe-limbed tree frog, only discovered four years ago, is one of 1,895 amphibian species that could soon disappear from the wild because of deforestation and infection, the International Union for Conservation of Nature said.

The Switzerland-based group surveyed 47,677 animals and plants for this year's "Red List" of endangered species, determining that 17,291 of them are at risk of extinction.

More than one in five of all known mammals, over a quarter of reptiles and 70 percent of plants are under threat, according to the survey, which featured over 2,800 new species compared with 2008.

"These results are just the tip of the iceberg," said Craig Hilton-Taylor, who manages the list. He said many more species that have yet to be assessed could also be under serious threat.

The only mammal added to the list this year was the Eastern Voalavo, a rodent that lives in the mountainous forests of Madagascar. IUCN classified it as "endangered" — two steps from extinction in the wild — because its habitat is being destroyed by slash-and-burn farming.

The Red List already includes species such as the tiger, of which only 3,200 are thought to exist in the wild and whose habitat in Asia is steadily shrinking due to encroachment by humans. Governments and international conservation bodies use the list as guidance when deciding which species to place under legal protection.

The group added almost 300 reptiles this year, including the Panay monitor lizard and the sail-fin water lizard, both of which are hunted for food and threatened by logging in their native Philippines.

IUCN also surveyed 3,120 freshwater fishes, up 510 species from last year, and found 1,147 of them threatened with extinction. They include the brown mudfish in New Zealand, whose wetland habitats have been virtually destroyed through drainage schemes, irrigation and land development.

Some species have recovered thanks to conservation efforts, the group said. The Australian grayling, a freshwater fish, graduated from "vulnerable" to "near threatened" thanks to fish ladders at dams and other protection measures.

But for many other species, conservation efforts are likely to come too late.

The Kihansi spray toad of southern Tanzania is now thought to be extinct in the wild. A dam upstream of Kihansi Falls has dried up the gorge where it lived, and an aggressive fungal disease known as chytridiomycosis appears to have pushed the toad population over the edge, the group said.

The same fate could soon befall the unusually large Rabb's fringe-limbed tree frog, which glides through the forest using its big webbed feet to steer safely to the ground. It is the only known frog species where the tadpoles feed off skin shed by the male while he guards the young.

The chytrid fungus that causes chytridiomycosis reached central Panama in 2006, a year after scientists first discovered the tree frog. Since then the fungus — believed to be spread by international trade and global warming — has virtually wiped out the wild frog population.

"Only a single male has been heard calling since," IUCN said.

Zoo Atlanta scientist Joseph Mendelson, part of the group that identified the frog as a distinct species, said it is likely that dozens or even hundreds of other amphibians have become or are going to be extinct before they are even discovered.

"This one we caught right before it went off the planet, but other species surely we didn't catch in time," Mendelson told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

"When you name a new species you're attached to it, and when that species disappears so quickly it's impossible not to have feelings associated with that," he said. "I'm pretty sad to be honest, really sad."

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:26 AM
While astronomers used to believe that galaxies were distributed more or less evenly through space, they have now found regions where galaxies are rare or absent. The largest of these regions is located in the direction of the constellation Bootes, and measures more than 300 million light years across.

The matter in the universe is so thinly dispersed that the universe can be compared with a building twenty miles long, twenty miles wide, and twenty miles high, containing only a single grain of sand.

The term "Big Bang" started as a putdown. In the 1940's, there were many competing theories about the nature of the universe. British astrophysicist Fred Hoyle coined the term "Big Bang" as a snide putdown of his competitors, only to have the term find its way into the general consciousness as the description of the correct theory.

A massive star has a shorter lifetime than a less massive star. The more massive a star, the more tightly its gravity pulls it together, the hotter it must be to keep it from collapsing, and the more rapidly it uses up its hydrogen fuel. The reason there are so few really massive stars is that they do not live very long, as little as a million years. For comparison, our sun has an expected lifetime of about 11,000 million years.

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:22 AM

When everything was brought into the new house and night came, Tristan was awakened by a noise. But when he opened his eyes, the dark room was still and silent.
He gazed around in confusion, wondering what had awakened him so suddenly. The moon cast shadows on the semi packed boxes that were shoved in a corner. Suddenly there was movement there and Tristan leaned forward to see what it was.
A girl came out of the shadows, behind the boxes, gasping and shaking. She had dark hair like him and same eyes when she reluctantly looked up at him. he lifted himself from the bed and stepped closer to her, ever so slowly.
" Are you alright?"​ he whispered. he took a step closer still until he saw those familiar eyes and pale alabaster skin.
She cringed back from him, as though afraid, and then forced a trembling smile. But her eyes, large and haunted, betrayed her. She was muddy and soaking wet, trembling uncontrollab​ly. Then she wrapped her chilled fingers around his arms and gasped desperately,​ " Tristan...Tr​istan, help me!"
Sitting up with a jolt, he looked around the room, confused. he looked toward the boxes and he had mixed emotions when he didn't find the girl hiding behind them. he was relieved she wasn't suffering and ice cold, but disappointed​ that she wasn't real.
Tristan remembered that the girl had touched his skin and hurried to the bathroom, flicking on the switch. he looked down at his arms and whimpered when he saw faint fingerprints​ imprinted on them.......

Nice story! I like the ending of it! Faint fingerprints on them... makes you wonder who or what??

Keep it coming!

It is a part where my sisters wouldn't read cause they say it is creepy lol

I think it would make a great thriller. I am a avid fan of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I have frequently emailed them in the past always asking for advice on how to write. Lincoln Child often replied and gave suggestions. Today they have such a huge fan base that I am lucky to get a email back from them. Nevertheless, their books are very entertaining to me at least.

You should really think about completing that story, unless you already have.

I am in the 7th chapter of the story

Oh wow! You are on a roll! Good work! Now do you have an outline of all the chapters or do you just write as you go?

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:19 AM
Edited by smiless on Tue 11/03/09 09:21 AM

It is estimated that there are 1022 stars in total in the universe.

huh?

I looked back and it is 10 then tiny 22 above it. I guess Mingle2 doesn't allow us to do this. So just see 10 and to the right of that number 22 floating above it as small numbers.

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:17 AM

i was signed up with the writers workshop and holy crap talk about email flooding!

I ended up having to bow out of the site.

Writers space was good. so was writer's digest.

i got alot of info and help from both of those sites :)

Well this Writer's Workshop on Mingle2 will not overwhelm your email.laugh So feel at home and share your experiences, questions, and projects if you like. drinker

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:16 AM
What I usually do when alot of characters are involved in a story is to write the names out on a list and have it in front of me. I do this to make sure I spell it right each time and also to make sure that many of the characters are not forgotten when writing the story.

I learned the hard way when I wrote about a human wizard named Graycloud and found him on the 14th chapter writing Cloudgray!

That is when I wrote a chart on names. It doesn't end with just the characters, but also places and special objects are also written to keep mistakes out of the story.

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 09:06 AM
Edited by smiless on Tue 11/03/09 09:21 AM
Thanks for the tips jrbogie! I read all kinds of stuff in every direction!laugh drinker

Okay here are some interesting information to share. One can tear it up if they like or agree with this information provided. Your choice folks!

There are an estimated 50 thousand million galaxies in the universe, with the typical galaxy containing 50 thousand million to 100 thousand million stars. It is estimated that there are (1022 - 22 is written small next to the 10) stars in total in the universe.

We have not observed a supernova in the Milky Way galaxy since the invention of the telescope. Supernovae were recorded in 1572 and 1604, while Hans Lippershey invented the telescope in 1608 and Galileo first used the telescope to observe the heavens in 1609.
The telescope was invented in 1608 when spectacle-maker Hans Lippershey's apprentice was playing games. The apprentice was amusing himself with lenses and found a combination that made things seem closer. When Lippershey was shown this combination, he enclosed the lenses at two ends of a tube.

The philosopher Immanuel Kant (1724–1804) was the first person to propose that what we now call galaxies lay outside the Milky Way and were indeed galaxies (or "island universes", as Kant called them) in their own right.

As late as 1820, the universe was thought by European scientists to be 6,000 years old. It is now thought to be about 13,700,000,000 years old.

The Earth is rotating on its axis at a rate of 460 metres per second at the equator, and is orbiting the sun at a rate of about 30 kilometres per second. The sun is orbiting the centre of the Milky Way at a rate of about 220 kilometres per second. The Milky Way is moving at a speed of about 1000 kilometres per second towards a region of space 150 million light years away called the Great Attractor.

It is possible that many planets in the galaxy may not orbit around stars. Recent work by Kailash Sahu found six gravitational lenses in the star cluster M22 from objects smaller than brown dwarfs, the smallest type of star. Only one gravitational lensing event by a star was found in the same work.

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 08:58 AM
In a small town near Bologna in Italy, a young man sat reading Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet". He was deeply touched by the story as it reflected his own life. His family had been for an age feuding with the Sbaragalias, a neighbouring family. After a lifetime of work in the field of medicine, for which he is now immortalised forever, when he returned home, he found his villa ransacked, his instruments burnt, and his life's work destroyed by those very same rivals whose touch he had not been able to escape even in far off Messina. He died at last in the Vatican, the personal physician of Pope Innocent XII, a man persecuted in life, but at last able to find peace in death.

Who is this man, who with his microscope forever changed the field of biology with his keen observations?

no photo
Tue 11/03/09 08:57 AM
Great Job ImJustaMan!

Blaise Pascal's mother had died when he was only three years old. His father had then resolved to be father, mother and tutor to his son. The boy had a love of mathematics, and hence the father had decided to make this subject the "crown of his educational programme". Pascal was to be introduced to mathematics at age sixteen, and hence all books on mathematics had been banned from the house. However, it is impossible to hold back a person as talented as Blaise Pascal. He had discovered much of Euclid's Geometery by himself by age 12.

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 11:21 PM
In the early part of the seventeenth century, in a middle class home in France, a young twelve year old boy, was busy working with mathematical diagrams, trying desperately to prove that the sum of the angles of a triangle was two right angles. As the young boy had not yet been introduced to geometry, he had created his own names for straight lines and circles, calling them "bars" and "rounds".

Who was this young boy, destined to change the world of physics with his experiments on fluids?

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 11:20 PM
Edited by smiless on Mon 11/02/09 11:22 PM
Your Answer is correct Sky Hook5652!

Sylvius went on to cause the ostracism of the greatest anatomist of all ages, when he condemned his former student, Vesalius as "an unprincipled upstart", and a "madman whose pestilential teachings were poisoning Europe". Vesalius was shocked at this, and left Paris for ever. He went to Padua where he came face to face with the heavy hand of the Inquisition, under whom he could "not even lay his hand on a dry skull, let alone have the chance of making a dissection". In this way, the greatest anatomist of this world was forced to die in sorrow, all due to an imagined slight. We can only guess what kinds of discoveries he might have made if allowed to live out the path he was destined to, that of the greatest dissector known to man.

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 11:18 PM
Well it is about time someone answered!laugh drinker

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 09:13 PM
Well who was this student!?

laugh

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 09:07 PM
Perhaps everyone can agree that everyone has a different understanding of what proof is for them. Afterall, all I see are difference of opinions on most of the topics between the same posters. Occassionally I see agreements occur though, which is great to see. Well that just shows how each individual has a different perspective of what they believe to be true. In the end, maybe it is good we only have these conversations through a computer screen. laugh drinker

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 09:01 PM
Perhaps a good question is if Congress is doing a good job? Afterall it is voted for isn't it?

Concerning the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan there are too many mixed emotions on it.

Most Republicans feel that America should do a all offensive attack.

Liberals feel that enough lives have been lost and are pondering if it should be abandoned or have just enough troops to keep Afghanistan from having the Taliban retake it.

Concerning the Economy.

I think most Republicans feel that the stimulus package was a waste of tax payers money.

Liberals feel that it takes time before alot of the money can be effectively used. It is even considered that perhaps they will be needing another stimulus package. The secretary of treasury said it is too soon tell yet.

I hope for what it is worth that America will find a way to recreate jobs, have a healthcare that most of the country is happy with, and have bipartisan solutions to the many foreign affairs the country is involved in.

If not, I can imagine that somekind of civil war might happen. I hope not because I just paid for new windows for this building!:smile:

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 08:55 PM

SMILESS>>>> you werent off topic, the original post was about the armenians celebration,,,tell us more,,, are you armenian?

No I am German actually, yet I have a degree in history from Germany and speak alot of languages fluently. I also spent half of my life as a Red Cross Coordinator travelling to alot of countries helping those who are not so fortunate in life. So having seen some of these countries struggles gave me a better idea of what the people endured.

I believe we tend to forget that the Armenians care less of what Bill Clinton's affairs where. They care more about how they can have a country of their own and freedom. They have Clinton and its bipartisan Congress to thank. Afterall they voted to help fight off the genocide at the time.

Sometimes I think America has had freedom for such a long time that I feel many have forgotten what it took to get such freedom. In otherwords, many take it for granted. Armenia is just starting to enjoy their economy and government.

I use to give out food, first aid, blankets, and stuffed animals all over Yugoslavia at the time. So I have seen poverty, hunger, distress, and many war inflicted citizens.

I am happy for them. drinker
:banana: You speak a lot of languages fluently?surprised I am so jealousrantI am only barely fluent in Spanishlaugh

Europeans tend to learn languages quicker because the countries are small in comparison to the United States, which is the third largest country in the world right?

You could drive in one direction a thousand miles and you are still speaking English. Yes okay, maybe Spanish in some parts now.

Now drive a thousand miles in one direction in a European country and you experience a whole new culture, lifestyle, belief system, and of course language.

That being said, it is only natural that we learn languages because we can be exposed to it rather easily.

Also having travelled alot to countries, I had to learn the basics of languages to communicate with the inhabitants.

Thus far I speak 4 fluently, and 3 medicore.

Of course German is my mother language so that doesn't count.

My English was the third language I learned and I plan to improve it each day. What better way to perfect it by living in the country right! I learned alot about American accents that is for sure!laugh
:smile: Yes, it helps to be immersed in other languages at a young age:smile: I didnt have that.:smile: I was in my 30s learning Spanish.laugh And you are VERY fluent in English.:thumbsup: You seem to have a better mastery of the english language than most Americans.laugh I almost never see you make a grammatical error.:smile: If you didn't tell anyone that you were from elsewhere they would not know that English is your third language.drinker

Well thank you very much for the compliment. I worked and studied hard for it. English is one of the most spoken languages in the world! I remember visiting people in Tibet and was surprised to have met so many speaking English there. I felt in a disadvantage because I surely cannot speak the ancient language of Tibetan, although I wish I could. A dying language by the way just like the language of the Miccusokee Tribes of Indians here in Miami where I live.

Many languages are disappearing as we speak. They will be forgotten.

Mandarin, Spanish, Indian, and English will surely strive across the globe. Others are endangered. Even German is declining believe it or not. Although it will take time, but Germany has been on a decline on births. More and more Germans have only 1 baby now. Some couples don't have any!

Russia is also declining on population. They even have a national holiday allowing couples to mate so they can bear a baby. The government encourages it and rewards those a bought apartment, car, and cash prizes if a couple bears a baby on new years.

Well I am truly off topic now, but thanks for the chat. It was fun!

no photo
Mon 11/02/09 08:49 PM

SMILESS>>>> you werent off topic, the original post was about the armenians celebration,,,tell us more,,, are you armenian?

No I am German actually, yet I have a degree in history from Germany and speak alot of languages fluently. I also spent half of my life as a Red Cross Coordinator travelling to alot of countries helping those who are not so fortunate in life. So having seen some of these countries struggles gave me a better idea of what the people endured.

I believe we tend to forget that the Armenians care less of what Bill Clinton's affairs where. They care more about how they can have a country of their own and freedom. They have Clinton and its bipartisan Congress to thank. Afterall they voted to help fight off the genocide at the time.

Sometimes I think America has had freedom for such a long time that I feel many have forgotten what it took to get such freedom. In otherwords, many take it for granted. Armenia is just starting to enjoy their economy and government.

I use to give out food, first aid, blankets, and stuffed animals all over Yugoslavia at the time. So I have seen poverty, hunger, distress, and many war inflicted citizens.

I am happy for them. drinker
:banana: You speak a lot of languages fluently?surprised I am so jealousrantI am only barely fluent in Spanishlaugh

I Always wanted to speak many languages,, I work with people who know four or five and they make very good money for having taken that effort.

It is never too late to learn a language, its culture, the people, and belief system. It is actually very fascinating. Well at least it is for me anyway. drinker

Pope Paul the second spoke alot of languages. Although he passed away, I was always astonished on how fluent he was in various languages.