Community > Posts By > SarahsF8

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:48 PM

:smile: Religion has always discouraged science and learning.:smile:

But..did religion do that or did men in religion do that?

Hmmmmm... well men created religion... so ... what's the difference?

That's just insulting.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:45 PM
Oh, and mind you all that while us Europeans were languishing in the Dark Ages (I have no qualm with calling them that, it's certainly an apt description, but for the offended, I offer the moniker "the ages formerly known as dark"), the Arabic (read Muslim) world was THRIVING scientifically.

Buy a smaller brush.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:38 PM

:smile: Religion has always discouraged science and learning.:smile:

But..did religion do that or did men in religion do that?

Right there with you, lady. "Religion" cannot do anything for itself, it is done to and it is cited for many things that are done, but the concept cannot act.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:36 PM

you are sending mixed messages, you want to find a date but you are unsettled! scared

oh....and....you are cute! flowerforyou

Thanks! And I suppose I need to go back in there and clarify--I'm feeling unsettled in my life right now because I've been through a lot lately, but I'm putting the pieces back together, slowly but surely.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:34 PM
Haha, yes, that's what I was going for... but I didn't think I used any really big words. Ah, well.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:33 PM

fight it all you want...teach your kids whatever you want...teach'm they are little mini-gods if you like.

Don't tell me how to teach mine...

This is truly hilarious coming from a Christian.

When are Christians going to quite proselytizing their religion to the children of others? huh

The whole problem with Christianity in the first place is it's proselytizing nature. And the fact that it wants to put it's beliefs into the law of the land and have its beliefs taught in schools as those it has scientific merit.

When Christians quite pushing so hard to brainwash my children maybe I'll consider leaving their children alone too.

But until then, let them get a good solid dose of their own hateful hurtful medicine.

As long as Christianity is a proselytizing religion it deserves NO RESPECT whatsoever.

It is constantly trying to brainwash the children of others, and threating them that God will hate them and send them to hell if they don't convert.

It's the most underhanded disrespectful religion ever created by man.

It's clearly ungodly, and there is nothing divine about it.

It has historically proven itself to be the works of arrogant egotistical men, and not the word of any divine being.

The works of Christianity have historically been shown to be clearly hateful and bigoted, and thoroughly ignorant.

It's a proven failure and clearly not of divine origin.

It's spreads hatred, division, and bigotry. Just the opposite of the brotherly love it pretends to support.

The difficulty with this argument is the foundation of ANY religion. The foundation of every single religion in this world is that they believe that they are the only ones that have got it totally right. If they didn't believe this, they would be definitionally pointless and the followers would belong to some other group (and I refuse to say "or none at all" because even those who claim to belong to none at all belong to a group by virtue of the fact that they've rejected all the others).

Now, assuming a religion has the concept of afterlife and teaches its members to care for exogenous persons, it naturally follows that if the members embrace the teaching, they will go out and try to convince other people of their truth in order to spare them suffering. It's logical.

Finally, everyone deserves respect. Period.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:25 PM
I see curiosity and creativity as going hand-in-hand. God is creative in nature, and we are made "in God's image," which to me has always been a more philosophical than physical resemblance. If we are not curious and creative, we aren't doing what we were put here to do, imho. Creation, invention, curiosity, and knowledge--these are necessary to my faith.

Some despots with Bibles and borderline personality disorder might suggest that, "To make God happy is to do as I say," and I'm hoping that at some point God, karma, or the universe is going to give people like that some serious heartburn. What I do is between myself and God. Inside myself, I know right from wrong. I know why I'm here.

To apply this on a grand scale is beyond me. Some people feel comfortable painting with a BIG brush. I'm not one of them.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:15 PM

TheCaptain says these eyes are.....love

They are.bigsmile

They are wonderful eyes.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:12 PM
Not going to lie, didn't read the article. But unless the "young man" in question was underage--who the hell cares? (Pardon my language.)

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:06 PM
If I were to say what I think the ACLU needs to do to itself, I'd get death threats, I'm sure. What began as a noble and worthy pursuit has morphed into a reign of terror. It seems these days they're more into interfering with liberties than with enhancing them.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:03 PM
One good lookin' guy!

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:02 PM
I love the puppy! I think your profile shows a lot of personality. We have a lot in common, but you're rather younger than me.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 11:00 PM
Check it out--how is my profile? Be honest, I can take it.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 10:37 PM
I don't have anything stunningly intellectual to add to this discussion. All I have to say is that I want to marry this thread because it has restored my faith in humanity.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 10:35 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm saying what's already been said. I think the most disappointing aspect of our space program is that the only time NASA makes the news is right after it's blown something up on accident.

SarahsF8's photo
Mon 01/26/09 10:33 PM
Very much a toss up between Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.

SarahsF8's photo
Sun 05/11/08 08:42 PM
Can't take it with you, though traditionally the field of archaeology (and more specifically Egyptology) is pretty much dependent on those who try--and litter bugs.

SarahsF8's photo
Sun 05/11/08 08:40 PM
This is the answer to all of those posts from men complaining about how the women on here are not specific. Brilliant.

SarahsF8's photo
Thu 05/08/08 08:35 PM
Not picky... would like to do both, eventually.

SarahsF8's photo
Thu 05/08/08 08:27 PM
Every time I try to pay on a date, it gets me no second date, so I've quit trying.