Community > Posts By > artlo

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:16 AM
Sportscasters aren't famous for making astute political observations. Even Rush Limbaugh got stupider when he tried to do sports talk.

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:14 AM
Also thought it was about the little man but now we begin to learn that along with Van jones George Soros, The Ruckus Society, the Tides Foundation and the Ford Foundation.Are all involved.

Here's this thing about Van Jones, the Tides Foundation et al again. Nobody else seems to know about this conspiracy. Please tell us about it! It seems like it would be important enough that the whole world should be informed.

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:04 AM
What ever gave anybody the impression that the wall Street protestors aren't politically motivated? I liked this opinion piece. It rings true to me.

OCCUPY WALL STREET IS A TEA PARTY WITH BRAINS

More than two weeks after a band of young people began camping out in the shadow of the New York Stock Exchange, the movement to remake America’s inequitable financial system is growing

It’s been called the Woodstock of Wall Street, but that’s hardly an apt comparison. The gathering at Max Yasgur’s farm 42 years ago was built on a generation looking for peace, love, some drugs and acid rock. The kids today are looking for real, tangible change of the capitalist sort. They’re organized, lucid and motivated.

Actually, they have more in common with the tea-party movement than the hippie dream, with one key difference: They’re smart enough to recognize the nation’s problems aren’t simply about taxes and the deficit.

They want jobs. They want the generation in power to acknowledge them. They want political change. They want responsibility in a culture that abdicates it. They want a decent future of opportunity.

If that isn’t American, then what is?

Another key difference between today’s kids and their hippie forefathers: They’re willing to gut it out.

Not only is Occupy Wall Street showing no signs of dying out, but it’s getting stronger. On Sunday, a night of rain dampened the crowd at Zuccotti Park, but then the sun broke through, and they were back at it: challenging police, marching and drawing attention to their cause.

They’re wired and ready. They’re using YouTube and blogs. A newspaper, the Occupied Wall Street Journal, began publishing last week. They meet in the evenings in a “general assembly” to discuss tactics.

Moreover, there are signs the Left Coast wants to get into the action. On Sunday a group called Refund California announced a series of protests throughout Los Angeles. On Monday, a teach-in took place aimed at bringing awareness to how Wall Street has worsened California’s budget problems.

On Tuesday, Refund California is going to Orange County for a protest. On Wednesday, the group will target the home of a bank executive. And on Thursday a big bank in L.A. will be the next target. Protests in Chicago this weekend showed the message isn’t lost in flyover country.

Inspired by the "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrations in New York, some 100 people gathered Sunday outside the Federal Reserve Bank in Chicago to protest inequities in the nation's financial system.

This isn’t just some anarchist or lefty agitating. Many of the protesters are furious with the Obama administration’s kow-towing to Big Finance. They’re critical of Federal Reserve policies. Refund California is aligned with 1,000 faith-based groups.

Protesters are admonished for displaying the U.S. flag incorrectly. These protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful. And, despite what you hear, there’s been a lot of goodwill between the police and protesters. They’re sharing coffee and doughnuts in the morning.

Meanwhile, another group, Occupy Los Angeles, is organizing its own protests. This movement, though small compared with the New York effort, is slowly gathering steam. Back East, Occupy Boston is gaining momentum. Protests in the financial center of Dewey Square took place Monday.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/occupy-wall-street-is-a-tea-party-with-brains-2011-10-04

As embarrassing as the title is to admit, I think it's right.

Occupy Wall Street protests - live coverage
Protests continue on Wall Street as the Occupy movement continues to spread. Follow the latest developments here

This page will update automatically every minute: On | Off

10am: Good morning, and welcome to the Guardian's rolling coverage of the Occupy Wall Street demonstration and the related protests spreading across North America.

Yesterday saw a "zombie protest" at Zuccotti Park, as protesters donned the garb of the undead to highlight the plight of "corporate zombies" working in Wall Street.

Meanwhile, AP reported that:

In Chicago, demonstrators pounded drums in the city's financial district. Others pitched tents or waved protest signs at passing cars in Boston, St. Louis, Kansas City, Missouri, and Los Angeles.

Tomorrow a national student walkout is planned – in protest against "unforgivable student debt and soaring tuition rates", according to Occupy Wall Street, while in the evening in New York there will be a union backed march to the site of the protest.

The march is scheduled for 4.30pm and will be attended by members from Supported by United Federation of Teachers, 32BJ SEIU, 1199 SEIU, Workers United and Transport Workers, PSC-CUNY United NY, the Strong Economy for All Coalition, the Working Families Party, Vocal-NY, New York Communities for Change, Community Voices Heard and Alliance for Quality.

We'll have the latest developments from the Wall Street protest and elsewhere, but also today I will be trying to map out where the protests have spread in the US and Canada, where occupy demonstrations are said to be scheduled for Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

Are you involved in a protest in North America? You can share details by contacting me on Twitter @AdamGabbatt or email adam.gabbatt@guardian.co.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/oct/04/occupy-wall-street-protests-live?newsfeed=true

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 07:46 AM
QUOTE:
Actually it was Ted Kennedy who came up with the idea and drafted the bill.

That seems pretty "forgetful" to me.

QUOTE:
The bill's sole sponsor in the Senate was Majority Leader Harry Reid, though it was crafted in large part as a result of efforts by Senators Kennedy, McCain and Kyl, along with Senator Lindsey Graham, and input from President George W. Bush, who strongly supported the bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2007

What we expect from Fox News worshippers.

Ummmmm, I am talking about in the 80's..........

Tell us about the bill that Kennedy thought up and drafted in the 80s. We all now have the impression that Ted Kennedy introduced some horrible immigration reform bill sometime in the 1980s. Please tell us about it.

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 07:40 AM
You mean the party that took the Democrats out of power in Congress and crippled them in the Senate? Or the party that took away a Senate seat that the Democrats held since the 1930's in the most Liberal state in the country when Teddy Kennedy croaked?

I mean the party that walked into office when Democrats decided to punish the President by staying home fro the polls.

Are you able to answer any of my questions about Van Jones? We all want to know about him.

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 07:35 AM
And people wonder why Obama's people doesn't let Biden talk to the press much

Don't they? I've never heard of that kind of prohibition coming from "Obama's people". Where did you get this from?

no photo
Tue 10/04/11 07:33 AM
Kind of a conundrum, isn't it? Fox News viewers are the most misinformed, but Fox News viewers know that they are better informed because Fox News tells them so. It's incredible how many of the stories we see in places like this come only from Fox News and the bloggers who cut and paste material from Fox News. Some people source virtually every single story and opinion back to Fox News.

It's no wonder there is a permanent 33% in America.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 11:40 PM
Only because Van Jones and Obama's people are behind it.
I agree that these people are certainly supportive. So am I. Whats' wrong with that? Damage by the Tea Party? I doubt that any of the protestors are even thinking about the Party that enjoys an 18% popularity of the country. They hate the financial services industry. They know what role it has played in the economy. What does Van Jones have to do with that? Why is he even mentioned? It's not like he's the Koch Brothers or Grover Norquist or Rush Limbaugh or Dick Army. Since when is it wrong to be an advocate for a position? Or is this just Fox News' latest conspiracy smear? Is Van Jones financing the protests and shipping the protesters in like Freedom Works? Is he really, really rich like the Koch Brothers?

Instead of just throwing in Van Jones' name because you don't like him and suggesting some kind of grand conspiracy, why don't you tell us what he has actually done, especially with regard to the protest, with some references to support it. It must be really, really special. Educate me. I don't listen to Fox News, so I have never heard of him. Nobody else has seen fit to mention him. Where did you hear about him? How does this big conspiracy work? Isn't that worth a thread of its own? Do you have anything interesting or important to say about him? Tell us about him. What is his pivotal role in the Wall Street protests? How is he important to the country?

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 11:14 PM
Edited by artlo on Mon 10/03/11 11:15 PM
Actually it was Ted Kennedy who came up with the idea and drafted the bill.

That seems pretty "forgetful" to me.

The bill's sole sponsor in the Senate was Majority Leader Harry Reid, though it was crafted in large part as a result of efforts by Senators Kennedy, McCain and Kyl, along with Senator Lindsey Graham, and input from President George W. Bush, who strongly supported the bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2007

What we expect from Fox News worshippers.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 07:27 PM
If, either party were to actually enforce Immigration Law our economy would thrive.

No it wouldn't Our economy cannot thrive so log as American business is allowed to send all its capital abroad. That has nothing to do with illegal immigration. States tha are aggressive with immigrant harrassment have problems with their consumer base. But hey! Good luck with that.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 05:38 PM
literally then, it says they shall make no 'laws'

Legal precedent becomes law. Examples:
McCollum v. Board of Education Dist. 71, 333 U.S. 203 (1948)
Court finds religious instruction in public schools a violation of the establishment clause and therefore unconstitutional.
Burstyn v. Wilson, 72 S. Ct. 777 (1952)
Government may not censor a motion picture because it is offensive to religious beliefs.
Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488 (1961)
Court holds that the state of Maryland cannot require applicants for public office to swear that they believed in the existence of God. The court unanimously rules that a religious test violates the Establishment Clause.
Engel v. Vitale, 82 S. Ct. 1261 (1962)
Any kind of prayer, composed by public school districts, even nondenominational prayer, is unconstitutional government sponsorship of religion.
Abington School District v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203 (1963)
Court finds Bible reading over school intercom unconstitutional and Murray v. Curlett, 374 U.S. 203 (1963) - Court finds forcing a child to participate in Bible reading and prayer unconstitutional.
Epperson v. Arkansas, 89 S. Ct. 266 (1968)
State statue banning teaching of evolution is unconstitutional. A state cannot alter any element in a course of study in order to promote a religious point of view. A state's attempt to hide behind a nonreligious motivation will not be given credence unless that state can show a secular reason as the foundation for its actions.
Lemon v. Kurtzman, 91 S. Ct. 2105 (1971)
Established the three part test for determining if an action of government violates First Amendment's separation of church and state:
1) the government action must have a secular purpose;
2) its primary purpose must not be to inhibit or to advance religion;
3) there must be no excessive entanglement between government and religion.
Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39 (1980)
Court finds posting of the Ten Commandments in schools unconstitutional.
Wallace v. Jaffree, 105 S. Ct. 2479 (1985)
State's moment of silence at public school statute is unconstitutional where legislative record reveals that motivation for statute was the encouragement of prayer. Court majority silent on whether "pure" moment of silence scheme, with no bias in favor of prayer or any other mental process, would be constitutional.
Edwards v. Aquillard, 107 S. Ct. 2573 (1987)
Unconstitutional for state to require teaching of "creation science" in all instances in which evolution is taught. Statute had a clear religious motivation.
Allegheny County v. ACLU, 492 U.S. 573 (1989)
Court finds that a nativity scene displayed inside a government building violates the Establishment Clause.
Lee v. Weisman, 112 S. Ct. 2649 (1992)
Unconstitutional for a school district to provide any clergy to perform nondenominational prayer at elementary or secondary school graduation. It involves government sponsorship of worship. Court majority was particularly concerned about psychological coercion to which children, as opposed to adults, would be subjected, by having prayers that may violate their beliefs recited at their graduation ceremonies.
Church of Lukumi Babalu Ave., Inc. v. Hialeah, 113 S. Ct. 2217 (1993)
City's ban on killing animals for religious sacrifices, while allowing sport killing and hunting, was unconstitutional discrimination against the Santeria religion.

These "laws" do not prohibit anybody from pracicing their religion. The probibit governments fro promoting religion. Again. Can you cite a single law prohibiting a person from practicing their religion? If you can't, no skin off of my nose.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 05:12 PM
Established laws prohibits Governments from practicing religion, but I don't know of a single law that prohibits people. Please cite one.

read the thread

I didn't think so.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:59 PM
well maybe you might wanna check that statement

Can you cite a single law that prohibits somebody from practicing a religion? Established laws prohibits Governments from practicing religion, but I don't know of a single law that prohibits people. Please cite one. There are attempts to outlaw forms of Islam in America, but those won't go anywhere. I don't think this is an informed or educated opinion.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:42 PM
where is your proof of your statement

What is it you are asking me to prove?

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:38 PM
notice the phase """or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;""" thus all the laws stopping public persons from practicing their religious beliefs are technically illegal

But, there are no laws stopping public persons from practicing their religious beliefs. What are you talking about?

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:29 PM
no where in the constitution doe it say separation of church and state

Well, I guess you have discovered something that nobody else has ever seen. How astute. all those Supreme Court decisions . . . 200+ years of legal bedrock. It was all a sham . . . and you just discovered it! Bravo!

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:25 PM
So, what does that mean to you? What are you trying to say?

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:24 PM
The founding fathers didn't seperate churh and the government did in the 1980's

I think we need a little remedial history here.

"The term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists Association in 1802."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:18 PM
It's based in the First Amendment. The Government is not supposed to be seen as promoting religion in any form, particular by sect or generally. Ethics are not religiously based. They are universally adopted as a social ideal by all mankind - religious and atheist alike.

no photo
Mon 10/03/11 04:11 PM

brdgav wrote:
THESE FLOK ARE SIMPLY LOOKIN FOR HANDOUTS.FREE HEALTHCARE.ALL DEBT ERASED ,A LIVING WAGE FOR ANYONE THAT DOSENT WORK...AND I WONDERED HOW THEY COULD AFFORD TO MISS WORK

OK then. We all know where you're coming from.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25