Community > Posts By > LadyValkyrie37

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 11/20/07 01:11 PM
Edited by LadyValkyrie37 on Tue 11/20/07 01:14 PM

where did you get this, your own words? very interesting good post.happy

It's a wise little saying that has been floating around the internet for many years. As far as I know, no one has ever sited the original author of this wise little saying. Just google the saying and you'll see what I mean.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 11/20/07 11:58 AM
Edited by LadyValkyrie37 on Tue 11/20/07 12:00 PM
FYI: I eat all types of meat... poultry, beef, and pork. I've even hunted and eaten venison, squirrel, and wild turkey. I don't care for any type of fish or seafood.

As I've stated in other threads I study many spiritual texts such as The Holy Bible, The Lost Books of the Bible, The Pistis Sophia, The Nag Hammadi Library, and The Apocrypha. When I found what I posted above, I found it very interesting and thought I'd post it as some "food" for thought.

Personally I do not believe that a Vegetarian or Vegan lifestyle is wrong or the only way of life to lead. I believe it's a lifestyle that is different from my own that I wish to understand better.

I'm not going to apologize for wanting to share something on here that I find interesting. Just as I don't expect any other person with a different religion, philosophy, or way of life to apologize for sharing what they find interesting on here. However, I saw that someone posted another thread for "Omnivores" I believe it was in a blatant attempt to counteract this thread. Personally I find it a little childish. But hey, who am I to say anything about someone sharing what they are truely interested in, right?

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 11/20/07 07:27 AM

The bible states that wine is good for you, but you are not suppose to get drunk off it.

Maybe you didn't catch it the first time... he (edd222) said he's Muslim... Muslims follow the Qur'an... not the Holy Bible. Therefore what the Holy Bible says doesn't mean a thing to Muslims. What matters to them is what the Qur'an teaches. Here's a great link that shows where exactly in the Qur'an it teaches Muslims to stay away from alcohol http://islam.about.com/od/health/f/alcohol.htm

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 11/20/07 07:17 AM
The Nag Hammadi Library
The Prayer of Thanksgiving

Translated by James Brashler, Peter A. Dirkse and Douglas M. Parrott

This the prayer that they spoke:

"We give thanks to You! Every soul and heart is lifted up to You, undisturbed name, honored with the name 'God' and praised with the name 'Father', for to everyone and everything (comes) the fatherly kindness and affection and love, and any teaching there may be that is sweet and plain, giving us mind, speech, (and) knowledge: mind, so that we may understand You, speech, so that we may expound You, knowledge, so that we may know You. We rejoice, having been illuminated by Your knowledge. We rejoice because You have shown us Yourself. We rejoice because while we were in (the) body, You have made us divine through Your knowledge."

"The thanksgiving of the man who attains to You is one thing: that we know You. We have known You, intellectual light. Life of life, we have known You. Womb of every creature, we have known You. Womb pregnant with the nature of the Father, we have known You. Eternal permanence of the begetting Father, thus have we worshiped Your goodness. There is one petition that we ask: we would be preserved in knowledge. And there is one protection that we desire: that we not stumble in this kind of life."

When they had said these things in the prayer, they embraced each other and they went to eat their holy food, which has no blood in it.

Scribal Note
I have copied this one discourse of his. Indeed, very many have come to me. I have not copied them because I thought that they had come to you (pl.). Also, I hesitate to copy these for you because, perhaps they have (already) come to you, and the matter may burden you. Since the discourses of that one, which have come to me, are numerous ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Vegetarian Meal
This passage is also found in the Epilogue of Asclepius, in "HERMETICA," translated by Sir Walter Scott: "Having prayed thus, let us betake ourselves to a meal unpolluted by flesh [animalia] of living things."

The G.R.S. Mead translation of the same passage says: "With this desire we now betake us to our pure and fleshless meal."

"With such hopes we turn to a pure meal that includes no living thing." (Asclepius, translated in "Hermetica", Brian Copenhaver, Cambridge University Press)

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 11/20/07 07:07 AM
The Goddess Companion

Enter, Goddess, by the power of seven,
by the power of a cobra's tear,
by the dewdrop, by the mango,
by the power of journeys at sea.
Joyously we bring you our gifts,
joyously we make music for you.
With hollow horns and flutes and
the deep sound of the conch, we call on you.
~Sri Lankan Song To The Goddess Pattini

Prayers of thanksgiving and petition go hand in hand. Thanks for this harvest, people prayed each year, and make it last through the winter. Thanks for this child, a mother prayed, and let her be healthy enough to survive. Thank you for this lover, a happy man called to the Goddess, and let her continue to love me this well.

When we are lacking something - food, or money, or love, or success - we feel that having it all will surely make us happy. But no sooner do we have it than we begin to feel the pinch of fear. What if we lose what we've so longed to have? Happiness is just a treaty we make with our circumstances. One can be happy in squalor, while another whines in luxury. It is not what we have that makes us happy, nor what we lack that makes us unhappy. True thanksgiving means acknowledging what life has given us, without bargaining to get more or holding on more tightly.

From "The Goddess Companion" by Patricia Monaghan

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Tue 11/20/07 07:05 AM
Today's Goddess: Strenia
Rights of the Day (United Nations)

Theme: Children; Protection
Symbols: Bay; Palm; Figs; Honey; Youthful Images

About Strenia: While this goddess's traditional festival date in Italy was January 1, she joins in our holiday observances today to extend her protective care to children. Among the Sabines and Romans, Strenia safeguarded the youth by providing health and strength. Traditional offerings for this goddess include burning bay leaves and leaving out sweet breads mixed with figs or dates.

To Do Today: On this day in 1959, Strenia was likely standing by and applauding as the United Nations adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child to encourage proper treatment of our youth and inspire their future. So take time with the children in your life today. Teach them in the "way they should grow" and revel in their innocent trust and love. Invoke Strenia's blessings and health for that young one by sharing fig cookies (heck, eat a few yourself for strength!) Or, make the child a small power pouch that includes a bay leaf and dried crumb of sweet bread. This way they can carry the goddess with them even when you're not around.

For those without children, try volunteering at a youth shelter or orphanage today. Take one of those kids out for lunch or to the zoo. Through your efforts, Strenia can gather that child in arms of warmth and comfort.

From "365 Goddess" By Patricia Telesco

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 10:56 PM

Lady V. - As it turns out, I did die once and spoke with Jesus. I do believe that I saw him, but when I tell people about it, even Christians, they look at me as if they're trying to remember the number of that shrink their sister has been seeing... See, my experience doesn't count, it's not in the book. And I can't believe in him, according to pastors and ministers and priests, unless I believe everything in the Bible, which I can't, because there are still parts of my cerebrum that are functioning. I had way more faith before I got stupid and read the book, let me put it that way.
And if people find themselves incapable of believing my visit with Jesus, I sure as hell don't press them with the idea! It is what it is, a fabulous moment with Jesus that belongs to me. But if our souls are ultimately judged by how we reacted to the Bible alone, I'm toast. Does anyone think that God wants me to learn to dispense with logic, with personal honesty? The things that apologists come up with, to justify absolutist constructionalism of the bible, to me appear to be frantic men running amok with bailing wire and duct tape, trying to keep their story straight.

I don't believe you are crazy. You had an experience and I would love to hear more about it if you ever wish to share it with me.

I totally understand how you feel when you say no one believes you. No one believes that I believe in and worships from my heart Father God, Mother Goddess (the Holy Spirit) and their son Jesus the Christ because...

1) I'm a Witch (because the Bible says it's wrong... at least that's what most all Christians interpret the scriptures as saying... if they only knew...)
2) I'm a Pagan (because the Bible says it's wrong... at least that's what most all Christians interpret the scriptures as saying... they fail to recognize the very same virgin birth, death, and resurrection of many other gods throughout the world's history... Christianity is just another copycat religion with Pagan roots.)
3) Most all Christians do not believe in the Feminine Divine (because we all know it's absolute heresy to even think that their might be a Goddess within Judaism and Christianity)
4) and finally because I don't see the Holy Bible as the very word of God, but rather a spiritual book written by the hands of imperfect men, and is not a history book. I take from it spiritual lessons that are good for my spirit and leave what is not good for my spirit. I do the same thing with all other spiritual books that I study, The Lost Books of the Bible, The Pistis Sophia, The Nag Hammadi Library, and The Apocrypha. Most all Christians refuse to accept my choice of accademics.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 10:05 PM
Edited by LadyValkyrie37 on Mon 11/19/07 10:06 PM
I never did like Rich Mullins even when I was a fanatical fundamentalist Christian all those years ago

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 10:04 PM

I think you need to re-read Exodus. In my opinion, the God od Exodus sounds like he's not giving a crap about mankind's free will and is on an ego boosting power trip.

It's always interesting to hear someone say that the God who created the universe and all life is on an "ego trip". How could a being capible of creating an infinite universe have an ego beyond what was deserved? How can an infinitely powerful being have more pride in themself than was deserved? It's not possible, so your argument is self refuting.

In other words, I have you stuck between a rock and a hard place and you are now going back to the BS that is perfectly captured in the Rich Mullens song...

Oh when He rolls up his sleeves He ain't just puttin' on the ritz,
Our God is an awesome God
There is thunder in his footsteps and lightning in his fists

And the Lord wasn't joking when He kicked 'em out of Eden
It wasn't for no reason that He shed his blood
His return is very soon and so you'd better be believin' that

He reigns from heaven above
with wisdom, pow'r and love

And when the sky was starless in the void of the night
He spoke into the darkness and created the light

And judgment and wrath He poured out on Sodom
Mercy and grace He gave us at the cross
I hope that we have not too quickly forgotten that

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 10:00 PM

Why didn't God consider Abraham's relationship with his sister as incestuous and sinful? Why did God bless this blatantly obvious incestuous relationship between brother and sister?

God brought an end to incest when the law was given to Moses. Brother's and sister's marrying was how the second generation of humans were born. Until the number of harmful genes had reached a high enough point, there was no danger in marrying a close relative or even a brother or sister.

Somehow I don't buy into that line of BS. How can a God who can create a whole planet of animals (on land, in water, in the air), insects, plantlife, a whole universe of other planets and stars, somehow can only create one single man (Adam) and one single woman (Eve) and the only freakin way they can multiply on the planet is by having their offspring have incestuous relationships with eachother? Either the God of the Bible is one hell of a pervert, the writers of the Bible are perverts, or maybe... just maybe... God created many men and many women in the beginning of creation... and the Bible merely focuses on one story of one couple that God created? Think outside the box people! Stop keeping God in your little boxes! Geeze!

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 09:51 PM

Jarhead wrote:
My particular favorite is when god “hardens pharaoh’s heart” and doesn’t let Moses’s people go, so god implements the 10 plagues. (Exodus 4:21) This includes killing all first born sons.

In essence, god made pharaoh refuse, so he could punish the Egyptian people, who had nothing to do with the pharaoh’s decision, even if god DIDN’T influence it. God manipulates man's free will, by hardening Pharaoh's heart, so that God can display his glory. Explain to me how this is moral….in any context.

Miracle of the Staff

Plague of Blood
Plague of Frogs
Plague of Lice
Plague of Flies
Plague of Disease
Plague of Boils - God hardens Pharoah's heart
Plague of Hail
Plague of Locusts
Plague of Darkness
Plague of Death

God gave Pharoah six miracles, including five of the plagues before God hardened Pharoah's heart. Eventually, God decided to stop taking mercy on the Pharoah and instead used the Pharoah to show God's power to the world. During the plagues, the Pharoah would agree to free the Israelites, but when the plague was gone, he would refuse. Five times Pharoah did that. At that point, God decided that Pharoah would be made into a vessel for wrath.

I think you need to re-read Exodus. In my opinion, the God od Exodus sounds like he's not giving a crap about mankind's free will and is on an ego boosting power trip.

Plague of Blood
Plague of Frogs
Plague of Lice
Plague of Flies
Plague of Disease
Plague of Boils - God hardens Pharoah's heart
Plague of Hail
Plague of Locusts - God hardens Pharoah's heart
Plague of Darkness - God hardens Pharoah's heart
Plague of Death - God hardens Pharoah's heart

New Living Translation Exodus 9: 10-12 "So they took soot from a furnace and stood before Pharaoh. Moses tossed it into the air, and festering boils broke out on men and animals. The magicians could not stand before Moses because of the boils that were on them and on all the Egyptians. But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses.

New Living Translation Exodus 10:1-2 "Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Return to Pharaoh and make your demands again. I have made him and his officials stubborn so I can display my miraculous signs among them. I’ve also done it so you can tell your children and grandchildren about how I made a mockery of the Egyptians and about the signs I displayed among them—and so you will know that I am the Lord.'"

New Living Translation Exodus 10:18-20 "So Moses left Pharaoh’s court and pleaded with the Lord. The Lord responded by shifting the wind, and the strong west wind blew the locusts into the Red Sea. Not a single locust remained in all the land of Egypt. But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart again, so he refused to let the people go."

New Living Translation Exodus 10:27 "But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart once more, and he would not let them go."

New Living Translation Exodus 11:9-10 "Now the Lord had told Moses earlier, 'Pharaoh will not listen to you, but then I will do even more mighty miracles in the land of Egypt.' Moses and Aaron performed these miracles in Pharaoh’s presence, but the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he wouldn’t let the Israelites leave the country."

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 09:25 PM
New Living Translation Deuteronomy 27:22 "'Cursed is anyone who has sexual intercourse with his sister, whether she is the daughter of his father or his mother.' And all the people will reply, 'Amen.'"

New Living Translation Leviticus 20:17 "If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a shameful disgrace. They must be publicly cut off from the community. Since the man has violated his sister, he will be punished for his sin."

New Living Translation Abraham replied, Genesis 20:11-13 (Abraham talking to Abimelech) “I thought, 'This is a godless place. They will want my wife and will kill me to get her.' And she really is my sister, for we both have the same father, but different mothers. And I married her. When God called me to leave my father’s home and to travel from place to place, I told her, 'Do me a favor. Wherever we go, tell the people that I am your brother.'”

New Living Translation Genesis 17:15-16 "Then God said to Abraham, 'Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah. And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.'”

Why didn't God consider Abraham's relationship with his sister as incestuous and sinful? Why did God bless this blatantly obvious incestuous relationship between brother and sister?

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:59 PM

Blind sheep are taught to believe that the Protestant Bible is the only one that should be acknowledged.

And goats will eat anything they find, while sheep will only eat the grass their shepherd leads them to.

Hail Baphomet! Hail!

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:57 PM

Exodus 20:4. "You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea."
Leviticus 26:1 "Do not make idols or set up carved images, or sacred pillars, or sculptured stones in your land so you may worship them. I am the Lord your God."

Exodus 25:17-22 Then make the Ark’s cover—the place of atonement—from pure gold. It must be 45 inches long and 27 inches wide. Then make two cherubim from hammered gold, and place them on the two ends of the atonement cover. Mold the cherubim on each end of the atonement cover, making it all of one piece of gold. The cherubim will face each other and look down on the atonement cover. With their wings spread above it, they will protect it. Place inside the Ark the stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, which I will give to you. Then put the atonement cover on top of the Ark. I will meet with you there and talk to you from above the atonement cover between the gold cherubim that hover over the Ark of the Covenant. From there I will give you my commands for the people of Israel."

So I guess it's ok to make a graven image or idol so long as the God of the Bible commands you to do so?

The Ark wasn't an idol, it was an ornate box. Engravings, statues, ornate boxes, buttons, telephones and just about any other manmade object is just fine, so long as it is not worshipped.

I guess it all depends upon your interpretation of the scriptures and your definition of a graven image and an idol. In my opinion, the commandment is pretty clear... no graven image of anything within the earth or the heavens... yet God commanded that his people make a graven image (the ark of the covenant).

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:52 PM
Edited by LadyValkyrie37 on Mon 11/19/07 08:55 PM

Oh by the way why are different version of God's word? There's the catholic Bible, the King James Bible, the Gidon Bible, what about the Mormon Bible?

They are called translations, because most people don't read ancient Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek. There are minor changes from one to the next, but the main themes are in tact, because regardless of their doctrinal differences, the translators all loved God and respected the Bible.

The Catholic Bible has additional books, (The Apocrypha) that Protestants do not recognize as a part of their Holy Bible. The Mormans have a totally different Bible called The Book of Morman as well as The Old and New Testament. And the Gideon Bible is simply a King James Version of the Holy Bible that is given out by an organization called Gideons International. I would also like to acknowledge that there are other Gnostic texts out there like The Lost Books of the Bible, The Pistis Sophia, and The Nag Hammadi Library. There are many other sources to get "God's Word." Blind sheep are taught to believe that the Protestant Bible is the only one that should be acknowledged.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:45 PM
Exodus 20:4. "You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea."
Leviticus 26:1 "Do not make idols or set up carved images, or sacred pillars, or sculptured stones in your land so you may worship them. I am the Lord your God."

Exodus 25:17-22 Then make the Ark’s cover—the place of atonement—from pure gold. It must be 45 inches long and 27 inches wide. Then make two cherubim from hammered gold, and place them on the two ends of the atonement cover. Mold the cherubim on each end of the atonement cover, making it all of one piece of gold. The cherubim will face each other and look down on the atonement cover. With their wings spread above it, they will protect it. Place inside the Ark the stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, which I will give to you. Then put the atonement cover on top of the Ark. I will meet with you there and talk to you from above the atonement cover between the gold cherubim that hover over the Ark of the Covenant. From there I will give you my commands for the people of Israel."

So I guess it's ok to make a graven image or idol so long as the God of the Bible commands you to do so?

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:29 PM
New Living Translation Exodus 20:13 “You must not murder."
New Living Translation Exodus 32:27-29 "Moses told them, 'This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: Each of you, take your swords and go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other. Kill everyone—even your brothers, friends, and neighbors.' The Levites obeyed Moses’ command, and about 3,000 people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, 'Today you have ordained yourselves for the service of the Lord, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Today you have earned a blessing.'"

New Living Translation I Samuel 15:1-2 "1 One day Samuel said to Saul, 'It was the Lord who told me to anoint you as king of his people, Israel. Now listen to this message from the Lord! This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has declared: I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation—men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, goats, camels, and donkeys.'

New Living Translation Numbers 15:32-36 "One day while the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they discovered a man gathering wood on the Sabbath day. The people who found him doing this took him before Moses, Aaron, and the rest of the community. They held him in custody because they did not know what to do with him. Then the Lord said to Moses, 'The man must be put to death! The whole community must stone him outside the camp.' So the whole community took the man outside the camp and stoned him to death, just as the Lord had commanded Moses."

I'm sure I could go on and on with many more scriptures contradicting God's very commandment that he gave his people to not commit murder. I guess he forgot to put that little escape clause which states, "...unless it's in my name."

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:07 PM
New Living Translation Matthew 1:16 "Jacob was the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary. Mary gave birth to Jesus, who is called the Messiah."

New Living Translation Luke 3:23 "Jesus was about thirty years old when he began his public ministry. Jesus was known as the son of Joseph. Joseph was the son of Heli."

So tell me who was Jesus' earthly Father? Was it Jacob or Heli? I would suggest a paternity test but that wouldn't work considering Jesus was concieved within a virgin female with the help of a ghost, a holy ghost at that.

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 07:55 PM
Here are a few devotionals that best describe how I connect with my God/Goddess and how I feel that everyone else can connect with their Higher Power if they would only open their hearts and minds.

Connecting With The Divine
Puja
Forging a spiritual connection with the divine is the ultimate goal of many forms of worship. In our devotions, we transcend the limitations of our humanity using prayers, rituals, and invocations, or we seek the celestial in sacred items such as statuary, imagery, or natural objects. In the Hindu tradition, worshipers bond with the divine through the puja ritual. The purpose of the ritual is to create an atmosphere in which humans and spiritual beings can enjoy communion with one another. Though participants show reverence for their chosen deities, puja serves to bring the former and the latter together on an energetic level. Performing a puja ritual is thus a wonderful way to experience direct communication with the divine.

There are no limits as to whom may serve as the focal point of your puja. You need only choose a spirit guide to commune with and an object to represent them. Preparing for the puja ritual, however, can take some time, depending on the number of devotional acts you will perform. A classic puja includes 16 acts, including meditation, chanting, the reading of sacred texts, offerings of food and drink, and cleansing. You may also wish to present gifts of incense, flowers, and jewelry during the ritual. An altar or table covered by an altar cloth provides space for the representation of the divine and the seat of the puja. To begin, prepare your offerings and place them to the right of the altar. Then center yourself and release any stress you may feel-the puja is meant to be a joyful experience. Typically, the ritual begins with the ringing of a bell and an invitation, and progresses from chanting to the cleansing and dressing of the deity to the offerings to meditation. You can modify your puja in any way you wish.

Though the elaborate puja rituals performed in Hindu temples take place at sunrise, noon, sunset, and midnight, puja performed in the home primarily takes place in the mornings and evenings. When your intention is to invite your spiritual guides into your home and heart, however, the time of day matters little. With practice, you will create a direct path to spiritual oneness that allows you to experience an amazing sense of closeness that reinforces your connection with the divine.

from Daily Om

Earthly Comfort
Connecting To Nature
Being in the midst of a redwood forest, gazing up at stars, pondering the vastness of a desert, all these naturescapes (and many more) move us to a place of reverence. We connect with nature on a spiritual level. There is sacredness in wild places and we can be transformed simply by being there.

Beyond human beings, we are nature beings, created from the same source as animals, plants, even rocks. The earth calls for us to connect so that we can feel balanced and whole; a part of the universe. All jokes aside, hugging a tree feels good. The strength of wood is a comfort in its solidness and we feel supported when we lean against a tree. It feels natural to wrap our arms around the trunk, as if the tree is hugging us back. The leaves sing to us on a breeze, reminding us that we are loved.

Being outdoors awakens all our senses. We breathe more deeply, taking in scents of salt air, pine needles, fragrant flowers, even the pungent odor of dirt. Our feet are cooled, sometimes numbed by an icy cold mountain stream, our bodies meld into warm sand at the beach, and a soft rain feels like a thousand wet kisses. Outdoors we can hear a symphony of natural sounds from bees buzzing to the roar of wind, or we can bask in the incredible peace of silence.

Connecting with nature evokes a sense of awe and wonderment about the universe. We are humbled by the magnitude of a mountain range and delighted by the colors of a rainbow. At the same time, we experience a oneness with the natural world which encourages us to appreciate and respect all of life. Nature calls us to be present and in the moment, so that we don't miss the intricate design of a spider web or the flash of a hummingbird.

And, the more we become one with nature, the more it offers us. In the wilderness we transcend time and space; we are renewed. Hikes in the woods, body surfing in the ocean, even walks around the block become moving meditations, enhancing our intuition. Look for signs and messages in the great outdoors, the symbolism of leaves falling in your path, the pattern of birds in flight. Or, simply enjoy the bliss of connecting to the natural world.

from Daily Om

Earth Living
Following Nature’s Cycles
Nature, in all its myriad forms, is the most powerful force on earth. Although mankind has tried, we have not found a way to match its awesome power, but we have found ways to work with it. Science often confirms the wisdom of the ancients who observed and then harnessed nature’s rhythms and cycles to shape and enhance their lives. We can begin to do this in our own lives by first paying attention to our own natural rhythms, such as when we wake or when we feel the need to sleep. If possible, we may want to try to rise and sleep with the sun or live without electricity for a weekend and then monitor how we feel. We can make the choice to eat the foods of the seasons and to seek fresher, locally grown, or organic produce whose own cycles have not been tampered with by technology.

We can create harmony in our homes by making a smooth transition between our indoor and outdoor spaces. By bringing some of the outdoors inside and taking some of our indoor décor out, we can simultaneously enjoy nature and the comforts of home and the feeling that our living space is expanded. Then, whether inside or out, we can lounge on a comfortable piece of furniture and feel the wind, inhale the scent of deeply breathing plants, listen for the many songs of life, and observe the moon and the stars. As we do this more often, we may find ourselves noticing the pull of the full moon on bodies of water, as well as the water in bodies, or the music of the night acting as a lullaby.

When we seek balance in our lives, we want to balance not just our roles in life but also the natural elements in our spaces. Having representations of the elements in the colors, shapes, and textures of our homes will appeal to our mind, body, and spirit. We may find that when we sync ourselves with nature’s rhythms, we ride the waves of energy to feel more in harmony with life and the world around us.

from Daily Om

Wooded Wisdom
Learning From Trees
The trees are our teachers. Their silence speaks of wisdom and patience for these ancient spirits have persevered the centuries, witnessing human evolution. Take the giant Sequoia, for instance. Not only has this 'big tree' - the most massive of all living forms - been around for more than 135 million years, some of the living ones are believed to be close to 4000 years old. Trees - they are sturdy, poised, determined, and resilient. They always seem to know where they stand. They exist in the present and radiate presence. They express themselves with ease. These are just a few of the lessons that these wooded creatures have to impart.

The tree as an image of illumination and life has made its way to the center of many tales. The Buddha reached enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree. According to Norse mythology, Odin became the God of Wisdom by hanging on Yggdrasil, the world ash tree that unites heaven, earth, and hell. And both the Kabalah and Bhagavad Gita describe a tree that grows upside down, with its roots in heaven and its branches in the world.

Trees show us how to strive. They connect with all the levels of the cosmos, simultaneously and harmoniously. Their roots burrow deep into the soil, boldly penetrating the unknown world of Under. Their trunks belong to Mother Earth. And their branches reach up, up, swaying fluently in the sky. May we also stand firmly grounded, bending effortlessly with the winds of change; always growing toward the light. In addition, the leafy guardians represent generosity: they regulate the magnetic field of the earth; they offer us shade, absorb our carbon monoxide and offer us fresh air. May we too try to nourish, shelter and protect one another as well as our fellow forests.

Next time you are in the presence of a magnificent trunk, thank it for its beauty and its teachings. Perhaps try placing your hands on its bark and breathing deeply - you may just feel its calm and ageless energy coursing through you.

from Daily Om

LadyValkyrie37's photo
Mon 11/19/07 07:37 PM
Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate — more at wheel
Date: 1617
1: formal religious veneration : worship
2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b: the object of such devotion c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

from the Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary

According to the definition above, especially the 1st & 5th definitions, all religion, including Christianity, is a cult. In my opinion far too many people use the word cult in a negative way to describe a religion, philosophy, or way of life that they personally don't agree with or find abhorring. Personally, I think those people need to get their heads out of their asses and learn to live and let live.