Community > Posts By > Drivinmenutz

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/28/14 09:53 PM

I have already written the FCC and my Congressman about stopping the merger. Is anyone else following this? I smell a potential monopoly.

Yes, its a bad idea. Not surprising though. Cable companies do already monopolize most areas. Where I live I can only get timewarner. Some of my friends can only get comcast.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/28/14 12:49 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/28/14 12:49 PM

trained adult, is a person no longer a child or teen who has received training for handling themselves

unarmed teen, is a person who is still their teen years and has no weapon

I agree, violent would also fit based upon his pushing and shoving a clerk and resisting arrest

'criminal' is disputable as he has no criminal record

I agree,obviously, training does not make you a superhuman, yet it is expected to put you at an advantage above NOT being trained

and being a teen is an indicator of unaged

and unarmed is an indicator of whether one has the means to do damage and from how far,,,,

nothing but facts that a trained adult killed an unarmed teen

whether he was 'threat' that justified it is and will be debated for years to come

Again, these terms are misleading. Similar to those insurance commercials saying "50% of people switching to us over other leading insurance agencies saved an average of $500 a year". The information is true, but very misleading as it tells only a very small truth that leads you away from reality.

Here is another fact: That cop had no way of knowing he was facing a teen. He also had no way of knowing if Brown was trained or not. Therefore, you treat the person as if they are a trained adult.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/28/14 10:58 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/28/14 10:59 AM

WHY?

because one person had a weapon, and the other person did not

because one person was a TRAINED adult and the other was just literally out of high school

because there are no answers for the family of the deceased except that he allegedly robbed a store and grabbed and pushed a clerk,,but he was not SHOT At the scene of the store

there is no answer for the family of the deceased except that he allegedly visciously attacked the officer, but he was not SHOT near where this allegedly viscious attack happened , but YARDS away

there are witnesses claiming to have seen this officer APPROACHING this 'deadly threat', while he was still facing him and gunning him down

BEAUSE there was a deceased teen lying on the ground for hours without the DECENCY of covering him up

BECAUSE There is no incident report available documenting the officers claims or the observations made by the authorities who were out there for HOURS with the body

BECAUSE There is NO EVIDENCE of this viscious beating that allegedly was the justification for this TRAINED adult to fear for his very life enough to shoot an unarmed person dead

BECAUSE THIS community has had longstanding problems with their relationship with the POLICE

,,,enough reasons yet? the POLICE in this community are who are being BLAMED, for how they are handling this teens DEATH,,,,

I still have no opinion on who is guilty in this case. If the brown had his hands up, and was being compliant, than the officer is guilty of murder. If Brown was charging at the officer, than the shooting was justified.

My problem is with bias. Terms like"trained adult" or "unarmed teen" allude to Brown was an innocent young child with no means to protect himself and the officer had multiple ways to safely handle him. One could also call Brown a violent criminal, but this too would call attention away from the question of whether or not Brown was a threat (or there was reason to believe he was a threat) at the time he was shot.

I will say again, training does not make you super human. And being a "teen" (technically an adult), is not an indicator of someone's potential threat. I know many who have killed when they were 18/19 years of age. They too were just out of high school.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 08/25/14 12:54 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Mon 08/25/14 12:59 PM

Of course not; but studies show that most cops who fire their weapon tend to be so hyped up that they will empty the clip, modern training would help with that

For starters the OP is HIGHLY speculative at best. Has nothing to do with the officer's habits and/or practices, just his exposure. It is highly unlikely that someone will steal cars and shoot at police after playing Grand Theft Auto.

Secondly (I must warn you as I am about to get graphic), it generally takes more than one shot to take someone down. People don't just collapse when they are hit like in the movies. Often times they are still combat effective after you fatally shoot them. I have seen people run a block or two after being shot in the chest, and admittedly, the 9mm round that most duty cops use are not that powerful so it doesn't help the situation. As a matter of fact, the theory behind using a firearm that shoots this type of round is that you can carry more bullets.

In this thread it was mentioned that a 5'3'' 115 lb woman can take down a 250lb man. It is POSSIBLE with training, but not always probable. Training does not make you super human. Drawing a firearm is often a recourse for those who protect and serve because it allows distance to be kept while control is gained over a situation. If someone charges that gun, they are a THREAT. There is no "armed threat" or "unarmed threat". Or "teenage threat" vs "adult threat". This is the REAL world. If you allow distance to be closed than you are increasing the possibility of the assailant being able to wrestle weapons away from you that you are carrying, which could be used against others after you are taken down. Again, training in the REAL world does not always determine the winner in a confrontation.

I have seen people with YEARS of martial arts training get dropped by some random guy from the streets with seemingly little effort.

That being said, from what I have seen police do need better training in some areas, but the expectation I have seen from a few on here is not only impractical, its just plain ludicrous.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 08/23/14 02:24 PM

no it is not that they deserve it

but like you said it is a choice

imo the proper thing to do

would have been for obama to start bombing isis hourly

this would last for 1 week

if they do it again the bombing would last 2 weeks

again 3 weeks and so on

till it cost more than they want to pay the actions will not change

That is precisely how you deal with individuals in the mindset of those jihadists.

Its not pretty but it's a language they understand.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 08/23/14 02:19 PM

Im reminded of how people said Rodney king kept 'moving', as if that is not to be expected when being kicked repeatedly,,lol

just saying all that to say, yeah, his pattern may be interesting but not necessarily telling since this event involved heightened adrenaline and a target that wasn't necessarily sitting in a solid position moving in a straight line,,,

if the deceased was lined up more to the right of the officer instead of directly in front of, the hits to the left would not be unexpected,,,,,

I realize it would not tell the whole story. But it would help. Anyone with an ounce of training is trained to shoot center mass. If he consistently pulls high and to the left it would help collaborate the story of him surrendering. If his grouping is center mass, than it paints a slightly different picture. The bullets struck the inner aspect of Brown's right arm, making a possible alignment to the officer's right unlikely. However, using the officer's grouping as a lone piece of evidence is foolish.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 08/23/14 01:41 PM

One of the bullets entered the top of Mr. Brown’s skull, suggesting his head was bent forward when it struck him and caused a fatal injury, according to Dr. Michael M. Baden, the former chief medical examiner for the City of New York, who flew to Missouri on Sunday at the family’s request to conduct the separate autopsy. It was likely the last of bullets to hit him, he said.

Mr. Brown, 18, was also shot four times in the right arm, he said, adding that all the bullets were fired into his front.
Continue reading the main story

The bullets did not appear to have been shot from very close range because no gunpowder was present on his body. However, that determination could change if it turns out that there is gunshot residue on Mr. Brown’s clothing, to which Dr. Baden did not have access. ......

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us/michael-brown-autopsy-shows-he-was-shot-at-least-6-times.html?_r=0

--------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

One of the bullets entered the top of Mr. Brown’s skull, suggesting his head was bent forward

every one i have seen running their head is leaning forward

just a thought

really, that's odd

MOST PEOPLE I See running look like this

That is running, not CHARGING. Just fyi. If one charges (meaning accelerates at a rapid rate) than physics require you either lean forward or fall over backwards. This is a fact. And just to clarify, the word "threat" implies "deadly threat". There is no "non-deadly threat" in situations such as this. There are only the terms "potential threat" and "threat".

Now to the conversation in general, I would like to see the officers shot patterns on a shooting range. The bullets seem to pull to the left. I wonder if this is something he consistently does. It would help determine the body position of Mr. Brown at the time the shots were fired.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 02:11 PM

I would say having an upfront confrontation with someone who is trying to get your weapon would be a pretty good reveal of what threat they faced or what advantage they have

and if there is no weapon in the hand and they are not reaching for anything,,,,there really isn't cause to SHOOT THEM DEAD IN THE STREET.

panick may lead to such a choice, but it just cant be justified here with the 'I didn't know what he might do',,, you already fought with him,, you knew EXACTLY what his position was and this BIG kid was hardly gonna be charging too fast with his much repeated size AND weed in his system

so,a fractured Eyesocket ain't nothing to write home about?
Punch yourself in the Eye,and observe how much sight you'll have left!
Not much I'd venture to say.
Like I said earlier,if someone weighing nearly 300pounds suckerpunched me like that,I'd shoot him Seven times,not six!
'Cause once the Shock of my Injury sets in,I wouldn't know how well I'd be able to continue defend myself!

I have several boxers in my family

"MEN" walk away from them all the time alive, and recovered in a few weeks

people don't walk away from two bullets to the head though,,,,

but kudos to you for your deadly retaliation mentality,,,flowerforyou

Honestly I commend you on your peaceful outlook. If the entire world thought as you did there would be no murders.

Problem is, as Massagetrade pointed out, if all good people in the world took to this mentality, there would be no good people left. There is a time and place where deadly force is necessary, and it is a good thing there are those that know this.

oh, I know it too

I have been put in the hospital in an incident of domestic abuse,, I lived, he lived and got help and became a better person

I have been sexually assaulted twice, both lived , one to face prosecution and imprisonment

You are strong to have not let these events corrupt you. I respect you for that.

Im happy to know when 'deadly force' is actually a necessity and not just a quick fix....

As do I. All too well.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 01:59 PM

lol,, so why do communities spend all that money arming cops with mace, billy clubs and tasers if they are so useless next to shooting someone who is 'closing in'?

What if all police officers aren't armed with tasers?

they are still trained ( I have been on tours of the training they undergo) Shooting to kill isn't their first or only option.

Again, training does not make you superhuman. Shooting to kill is not the first option, but neither is tasering. Any WELL-trained person know that different situations call for different methods of defense.

In the case mentioned in the OP the assailant was displaying erratic behavior (increasing threat level), he showed non-compliance (increasing threat level), and turned to charge the person defending a family(who were likely in danger) which increases the threat level into the imminent danger category. He could have been concealing a knife, or be trained himself. He could be on drugs (which is a reasonable assumption) which increase his adrenaline making him deadlier. The gun would allow the most distance be kept, and provides the most reliable method of stopping the threat in this situation. Not to mention the officer off duty was carrying concealed. Pretty hard to conceal both a taser, and a firearm.

If the training you attended (or witnessed) does not support this, somebody lost money to a fraud. I have real world experience in war zones, and have had 1000's of hours of training. I would also be happy to fly out a re-train those classes for $75/hr plus the cost of lodging and travel.

Good post. Some that post here kinda "make it up on the fly". Actual experience, like yours, is well appreciated.

From what I have observed on the news most of the discussion is just racist. If a white cop shoots a black unarmed thug, it is world news. If a white cop shoots a white thug, that's just part of life. If a black cop shoots a white thug, it's not even news. If a black shoots another black, it is just the natural way of things in the black community.

Thank you for your appreciation. And on the racial issue, I have to agree. Racism is an issue that stirs up controversy. Controversy sells news. Suppose it's only natural that the news would get hung up on it. Wish more folks would stick to the facts and digest things before letting their emotions go wild. The mob mentality never helped anybody.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 01:52 PM

I would say having an upfront confrontation with someone who is trying to get your weapon would be a pretty good reveal of what threat they faced or what advantage they have

and if there is no weapon in the hand and they are not reaching for anything,,,,there really isn't cause to SHOOT THEM DEAD IN THE STREET.

panick may lead to such a choice, but it just cant be justified here with the 'I didn't know what he might do',,, you already fought with him,, you knew EXACTLY what his position was and this BIG kid was hardly gonna be charging too fast with his much repeated size AND weed in his system

so,a fractured Eyesocket ain't nothing to write home about?
Punch yourself in the Eye,and observe how much sight you'll have left!
Not much I'd venture to say.
Like I said earlier,if someone weighing nearly 300pounds suckerpunched me like that,I'd shoot him Seven times,not six!
'Cause once the Shock of my Injury sets in,I wouldn't know how well I'd be able to continue defend myself!

I have several boxers in my family

"MEN" walk away from them all the time alive, and recovered in a few weeks

people don't walk away from two bullets to the head though,,,,

but kudos to you for your deadly retaliation mentality,,,flowerforyou

Honestly I commend you on your peaceful outlook. If the entire world thought as you did there would be no murders.

Problem is, as Massagetrade pointed out, if all good people in the world took to this mentality, there would be no good people left. There is a time and place where deadly force is necessary, and it is a good thing there are those that know this.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 01:48 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/21/14 01:55 PM

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 01:48 PM

Again, having been trained, I have to say you lose a MASSIVE edge when your threat closes distance. You could be disarmed and your gun be used against you or you could be beaten to death if the person is larger than you, stronger than you, or manages to get in a lucky shot.

It seems to me that at close distances, having a gun is no longer a clear advantage. It can even be a disadvantage; you now have one usable-for-grappling hand instead of two, and you have to focus on preserving your control of the weapon. And it can be very easy for the stronger person to control the weapon despite it being in the weaker person's grip.

If I had a gun, and someone had just broken my eye socket in an unprovoked attack - then turned to threaten me again, I would shoot them. I think everyone should do this. Otherwise horrible people have their way in the world, and do terrible things.

Exactlydrinker

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 01:45 PM
Officer needs prison, and the police department should pay settlement.

Sometimes I find myself asking why the mental screenings for becoming a police officer aren't more involved.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 06:29 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Thu 08/21/14 06:33 AM

lol,, so why do communities spend all that money arming cops with mace, billy clubs and tasers if they are so useless next to shooting someone who is 'closing in'?

What if all police officers aren't armed with tasers?

they are still trained ( I have been on tours of the training they undergo) Shooting to kill isn't their first or only option.

Again, training does not make you superhuman. Shooting to kill is not the first option, but neither is tasering. Any WELL-trained person know that different situations call for different methods of defense.

In the case mentioned in the OP the assailant was displaying erratic behavior (increasing threat level), he showed non-compliance (increasing threat level), and turned to charge the person defending a family(who were likely in danger) which increases the threat level into the imminent danger category. He could have been concealing a knife, or be trained himself. He could be on drugs (which is a reasonable assumption) which increase his adrenaline making him deadlier. The gun would allow the most distance be kept, and provides the most reliable method of stopping the threat in this situation. Not to mention the officer off duty was carrying concealed. Pretty hard to conceal both a taser, and a firearm.

If the training you attended (or witnessed) does not support this, somebody lost money to a fraud. I have real world experience in war zones, and have had 1000's of hours of training. I would also be happy to fly out a re-train those classes for $75/hr plus the cost of lodging and travel.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 06:15 AM

what is the history between the cops and the citizens of that community? How often do the citizens read or hear about unarmed white people being gunned down by police?

I see the comparison, but I think the only similarity is that it was an unarmed person shot by police.

looting and rioting is never the right thing

but, imho, shooting dead someone that is unarmed rarely is the right thing either,,,

especially if one has been trained to defend and paid to protect,, protect should not automatically mean kill

that's just my opinion though

Yes and no. When someone is unarmed the potential threat has decreased. This increases again as the person closes distance since a person who is armed, at point-blank range, has very little advantage over someone who is unarmed. Again, you don't know the level of training the potential threat has. The physical size of the person is also a determining factor as size often indicates potential strength.

As a person who has been trained, I can tell you that it is INCREDIBLY foolish to allow a potential threat to reach point-blank range on his/her own terms. Armed or unarmed. If the person is non-compliant and closing the distance quickly, especially if the person has demonstrated erratic, and/or dangerous behavior, they are a high-level threat, and you are in imminent danger.

with all respect, a gun close range is much more deadly than an unarmed person,, however one wishes to justify,,,

that person with no weapon is going to have to take a lot more energy and make a lot more effort to KILL, than that person that only needs to pull a trigger..

especially when it is several to one

many more options are available than shooting dead,,,

how do you know the Assailant is unarmed until after the fact?

that's what training is for,,,,,

if there is no gun pointing at you or in his hands,, there are other options to shooting first,,

Training does not turn you into a superhero with x-ray vision. Nor does it give you super strength. Nor is it a true determining factor of who has the advantage.

It takes less than a second to draw a weapon and shoot it.

Typically one would assume that a potential assailant would stop when a gun is pointed at him/her, when the one holding the gun announces him/her to do so. In this case, it would be much safer than pulling a taser on a charging target. On miss-fire, you are finished.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 08/21/14 06:06 AM

what is the history between the cops and the citizens of that community? How often do the citizens read or hear about unarmed white people being gunned down by police?

I see the comparison, but I think the only similarity is that it was an unarmed person shot by police.

but, imho, shooting dead someone that is unarmed rarely is the right thing either,,,

especially if one has been trained to defend and paid to protect,, protect should not automatically mean kill

Yes and no. When someone is unarmed the potential threat has decreased. This increases again as the person closes distance since a person who is armed, at point-blank range, has very little advantage over someone who is unarmed. Again, you don't know the level of training the potential threat has. The physical size of the person is also a determining factor as size often indicates potential strength.

As a person who has been trained, I can tell you that it is INCREDIBLY foolish to allow a potential threat to reach point-blank range on his/her own terms. Armed or unarmed. If the person is non-compliant and closing the distance quickly, especially if the person has demonstrated erratic, and/or dangerous behavior, they are a high-level threat, and you are in imminent danger.

with all respect, a gun close range is much more deadly than an unarmed person,, however one wishes to justify,,,

that person with no weapon is going to have to take a lot more energy and make a lot more effort to KILL, than that person that only needs to pull a trigger..

especially when it is several to one

many more options are available than shooting dead,,,

Again, having been trained, I have to say you lose a MASSIVE edge when your threat closes distance. You could be disarmed and your gun be used against you or you could be beaten to death if the person is larger than you, stronger than you, or manages to get in a lucky shot. A single blow to the head and it becomes difficult to make all the right moves to wrestle an assailant away.

And here is another important fact every hollywood rendition of combat seems to miss. People don't generally just "drop" when you fatally wound them. (Please excuse my graphic example, but I've seen someone take two shots to the torso with a military grade assault rifle, one through the chest, and he ran almost two blocks before collapsing) Get enough adrenaline going and it could take several shots, after the fatal one, in order to render someone "combat ineffective". Either way, time elapses, as does your chances of survival. It's a brutal game of chances. Only a fool, or someone who is has a genuine death wish would allow a threat to get close, without first being in control of the situation.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Tue 08/19/14 08:18 AM

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 08/18/14 12:47 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Mon 08/18/14 12:50 PM

I would propose an amendment(s) that:

Restricts congressional pay to the median salary of american workers.

Takes away congressional pensions and places congress members on social security.

Removes any congressional heath plan and places congress members on our national health plan.

Limits campaign funds spent on campaigning.

Makes it a requirement that in order to serve in congress, you must remove your money from the stock market.

Also, I would like to see a federal law that would grandfather property taxes, so rates cannot be raised after you purchase property forcing you out of your home/land.

I would also like to see some serious work done on agriculture. Mainly restrictions on genetic engineering, and things of that nature.

I would agree with all accept forcing them to remove money from the stock market.

Only reason I brought that one up is the simple fact that they can strongly influence the stock market and invest with insider knowledge. This is illegal if you are a civilian, but not for a senator/congressman. At least this has been my understanding.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 08/18/14 06:44 AM

I would propose an amendment(s) that:

Restricts congressional pay to the median salary of american workers.

Takes away congressional pensions and places congress members on social security.

Removes any congressional heath plan and places congress members on our national health plan.

Limits campaign funds spent on campaigning.

Makes it a requirement that in order to serve in congress, you must remove your money from the stock market.

Also, I would like to see a federal law that would grandfather property taxes, so rates cannot be raised after you purchase property forcing you out of your home/land.

I would also like to see some serious work done on agriculture. Mainly restrictions on genetic engineering, and things of that nature.

actually property tax is unconstitutional paying a tribute to the government makes the government a lord of the land which makes the govt a nobility

-------------

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State - See more at:

http://constitution.findlaw.com/articles.html#sthash.vV3hLzsl.dpuf

This is quite interesting... thanks for info.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sun 08/17/14 07:49 AM

After dabbling in neuropsychology for a bit I have to say I see things much differently than before. It was a real eye opener. It's intuitive and common place to punish a person for their actions instead of looking for the cause and fixing it. It's pretty much like your car blowing a tire and trying to fix it by yelling at it then locking it away in your garage to punish it. It's crazy and makes no sense. People are just biological machines and many need fixing. Many things that are wrong with how we deal with things in society are based on what we have learned from previous generations and the human condition.

I agree and disagree.

I believe a big part of the issue is in distancing ourselves from personal responsibility.

For instance; punishing a child for a devious act is how the child grows, and learns coping skills and mechanisms to deal with rules, interactions with others, and things like rejection which we encounter on a daily basis. When that child has been coddled, over-sheltered, and/or "spoiled", he or she often lacks coping skills required to deal with "grown-up life".

So I agree with the concept of looking for a way to fix a broken mechanism, but I don't see where it can be separated from personal responsibility.

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25