Community > Posts By > Drivinmenutz

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 01/20/14 05:41 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Mon 01/20/14 05:42 AM
Iceland allows crooked banks to fail, and received a faster economic recovery. Who'd a thunk... Perhaps the free market does work. I doubt many are taking notes though.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 01/16/14 09:39 AM
People who request large increases in minimum wage fail to realize the money must initially, and continually come from somewhere. Cause, and effect.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Tue 01/14/14 10:09 AM

I do believe it is important to realize that "minimum wages was never, nor should it ever be, intended to be a living, sustainable, wage. Basically it's intended for high school students who are looking to gain some work experience, and make a little play money.

oh, I know that, but unfortunately, too many adults don't have options that provide much more than minimum wage in return for their work,,,

unless they have access to other resources to sustain them while they obtain training/education or build networks,,, they are kind of screwed

Perhaps this should be our focus then. Instead of increasing minimum wage to a living wage or $12 or so dollars an hour, which would undoubtedly double the price of everything thereby defeating its own purpose. Not saying that's what you are advocating, but it seems many want minimum wage to increase as a solution to our current financial problems.

Maybe we need to focus on why good paying jobs are leaving, and why education and training cost so much money...

I do advocate for wages to keep up with cost of living

I don't believe that increasing wages a few dollars will double the prices of other things,, but I do think it would increase the flow of money going through the economy,, people spend more if they have more to spend,,

I also think these other issues contribute as well , which taken in balance can do a lot to turn things around,,

This is where you are incorrect. Smaller businesses can't afford to increase wages from $7 to $12. Increasing this will cause an increase in overhead, thereby increasing prices. You will find that no upper administration will take the pay cut from their wages in the bigger corporations either, so the result will be a cut in staff or an increase in prices. Cause and effect. The money for increased wages must come from somewhere.

However I do agree that wages should coincide with cost of living.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Tue 01/14/14 10:05 AM

My opinion is that a large part of the problem is that the middle class by and large supports the government and the poor because we are over taxed. While corporations and the very wealthy pay less than their fair share via legal manuvering that they can afford. Everyone knows this happens but no one had the cajones to do anything about it.

Eyeglasses required.shades

I believe there is a lot of truth to your statement. However the upper class pays the majority of our taxes. The comments you hear about the upper class paying only 15% are false. They are under the same tax bracket system. The mystical 15% number comes from dividends. So if you increase those taxes, you are now increasing everyone's taxes on things like stocks, which many middle class have retirements attached to. We also have the highest corporate tax in the world.

The true manipulation comes from international corporations and how they crunch their numbers writing off expenses in the U.S. and income in countries with little to no corporate taxes. Then you have a small fraction of the upper 1% who are hording the saving directly into their own pockets instead of putting this wealth back into their company.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Tue 01/14/14 09:57 AM

I do believe it is important to realize that "minimum wages was never, nor should it ever be, intended to be a living, sustainable, wage. Basically it's intended for high school students who are looking to gain some work experience, and make a little play money.

oh, I know that, but unfortunately, too many adults don't have options that provide much more than minimum wage in return for their work,,,

unless they have access to other resources to sustain them while they obtain training/education or build networks,,, they are kind of screwed

Perhaps this should be our focus then. Instead of increasing minimum wage to a living wage or $12 or so dollars an hour, which would undoubtedly double the price of everything thereby defeating its own purpose. Not saying that's what you are advocating, but it seems many want minimum wage to increase as a solution to our current financial problems.

Maybe we need to focus on why good paying jobs are leaving, and why education and training cost so much money...

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 01/13/14 10:29 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Mon 01/13/14 10:32 AM

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 01/13/14 09:25 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Mon 01/13/14 10:25 AM
To become successful from having nothing takes a tremendous amount of hard work and risk taking. Generally speaking. Most people I have ever spoken to are not willing to sacrifice and risk as much as those whom I've seen make it "big". MOST don't want, or feel comfortable with the responsibility involved. This is where income gaps are initially created. This is the fair, free market at work. Many (i will even say "most") times poverty does, in fact, stem from poor life choices and irresponsibility. Perhaps some just have not been shown the way.

But then there are those who are born into the life of big money. And there are a few (much fewer than the infamous 1%), that horde money like its air. Cutting positions and wages while simultaneously expecting more productivity, then writing the extra income into bonus checks for him/herself. I agree that this is an issue.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 01/13/14 09:09 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Mon 01/13/14 09:12 AM

my thoughts exactly,,

still waiting for the logical argument about how self empioyed CAN NOT take vacations,, even though I personally know of several individuals who are and do,,,

I wont hold my breath, but I will check back for some more fascinating posts about US code and legal definitions,,,,

Depends on the business. Depends on what you are trying to do with the business. Depends on a lot of things. I know several who cannot or could not take vacations for a long time (several years). When building a business you're often considered "married" to your job. Almost all your profits go back into said business, and many times you are working 80 hours a week to manage everything and keep things afloat. Many times it would be considered irresponsible to take a vacation. And even those that do, often can't for longer than 3 or 4 days, unless they are big and profitable enough to hire someone to manage the issues that occur when the owner is away.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 01/11/14 12:17 PM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Sat 01/11/14 12:21 PM

people work for employers out of self interest,, the reason they do MOST Things,,

not because of how it 'benefits' everyone

slaves worked because they were FORCED to and the south went to war to keep it that way because it benefitted those who owned them,, not because it benefitted 'everyone'

maintaining a country a society a home,, etc,, takes MONEY,,,people have to pay their part into that,,,,

and since we have millions we don have any part of that that 'everyone' will agree for their personal payment to go to,, so the idea of just letting people opt out of paying into it while continuing to receive the benefits from it is fiscally illogical,,,

I know this may be off topic, but i think if you read about the civil war, you will find the south fought to keep the majority of government power at the state level. It wasn't really about slavery to the south. To some, perhaps, but not to many. This is a common misconception.

Anyhow, i agree with the inevitability of taxes. When talking about a large entity as the U.S. Federal government, people see a LARGE portion of their contribution get wasted on inefficiency, and the rest does not get used in the manner intended. Welfare, for instance, starts as being a selfless act. Everyone wants everyone else to have the essentials (food, shelter, medical care, etc) when said person comes on rough times. What happens is the monthly stipend is some cases ends up paying for beer, cigarettes, and junk food. Sometimes people end up milking the system, not searching for higher work, or not willing to take a job "flipping burgers" because A- "its beneath them" or B- because as soon as they start making money they will lose benefits. This is a system whose intent was pure, but the blanket policies resulting from shear volume have created inefficiency.

Things would be much easier if it were kept on a smaller, more individualized scale, where people have more say in exactly how their contributions are spent, and who get to see their money help. That would instill its own motivation i would think.

The notion of federalizing and centralizing everything is very illogical fiscally.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 01/11/14 11:52 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Sat 01/11/14 11:53 AM

I don't care what they call it. It's criminal. You write a bill, get it passed, then change It? What kind of logical sense is that?

I can't believe anything like that would be allowed.

Just bend over while our government screws us.

They passed it because they knew they couldn't get it back through Congress the 2nd time, so they took what they could get. It's clearly an imperfect law, but it does answer some issues. Specifically it reduces the number of uninsured Americans and helps people get affordable insurance in spite of pre-existing conditions. Of course, Republicans are completely against it, but they've go no real answers to those problems, either.

The best, most elegant solution would be simply to open up Medicare to all Americans. If they did that, then we could repeal Obamacare.

I fail to see where this would be much better. More streamlined, yes. But the best solution? No. Medicare and Medicaid programs are a huge part of our healthcare crisis. They are billing nightmares, often falling behind in payments by YEARS, and many times failing to pay their bill altogether. In little old maine, alone, these two programs failed to pay hospitals hundreds of millions of dollars. Both programs also have a ton of red tape attached.

I feel that when dealing with U.S. healthcare our goals have shifted from providing everyone access to healthcare, and gravitated towards just increasing the number of insured citizens. First goal was productive, 2nd goal is not. We must also remind ourselves, that insurance is another big part of our issue.

I know i will get flak from this, but maybe we should looking into expanding our free clinics, or the clinics in which payments are income-based. Start small (one or two hospitals), then expand. Start directing medicaid money into the system. Then start directing medicare money into the system. Allow private facilities to remain untouched. This would weed out MOUNTAINS of red tape. Perhaps the free market may actually play the role of quality control for both systems (The government and private). No forced insurance, and if done right, in increments, there shouldn't be tax hikes. Just a thought... (Note: I realize the government rarely does things the correctly)

One solution that I read about was, people pay monthly payments directly to the to the hospital or to the doctor instead of to the insurance company. Or, where I work, I have a low cost catastrophic insurance with a $2000 deductible. Routine doctor visits are paid from a health fund that we contribute to.
There are a lot of better ways to do it.

That sounds good. Eliminate Insurance altogether and just make payments to a collective medical fund that pays the doctors directly.

A nifty thing happens when doctors, who are self employed, only accept direct payment from clients. Cost are kept low. Same day doctor visit only costs around $40. Medication is affordable. A shot that would cost $35 increases to $140 when you get it from a large facility that accepts private and government insurance.

That tragedy is that this Obamacare is going to make these smaller, sliding payscale and free clinics extinct. Its essentially forcing higher costs.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 01/11/14 11:47 AM

I don't care what they call it. It's criminal. You write a bill, get it passed, then change It? What kind of logical sense is that?

They passed it because they knew they couldn't get it back through Congress the 2nd time, so they took what they could get. It's clearly an imperfect law, but it does answer some issues. Specifically it reduces the number of uninsured Americans and helps people get affordable insurance in spite of pre-existing conditions. Of course, Republicans are completely against it, but they've go no real answers to those problems, either.

The best, most elegant solution would be simply to open up Medicare to all Americans. If they did that, then we could repeal Obamacare.

I fail to see where this would be much better. More streamlined, yes. But the best solution? No. Medicare and Medicaid programs are a huge part of our healthcare crisis. They are billing nightmares, often falling behind in payments by YEARS, and many times failing to pay their bill altogether. In little old maine, alone, these two programs failed to pay hospitals hundreds of millions of dollars. Both programs also have a ton of red tape attached.

I feel that when dealing with U.S. healthcare our goals have shifted from providing everyone access to healthcare, and gravitated towards just increasing the number of insured citizens. First goal was productive, 2nd goal is not. We must also remind ourselves, that insurance is another big part of our issue.

I know i will get flak from this, but maybe we should looking into expanding our free clinics, or the clinics in which payments are income-based. Start small (one or two hospitals), then expand. Start directing medicaid money into the system. Then start directing medicare money into the system. Allow private facilities to remain untouched. This would weed out MOUNTAINS of red tape. Perhaps the free market may actually play the role of quality control for both systems (The government and private). No forced insurance, and if done right, in increments, there shouldn't be tax hikes. Just a thought... (Note: I realize the government rarely does things the correctly)

One solution that I read about was, people pay monthly payments directly to the to the hospital or to the doctor instead of to the insurance company. Or, where I work, I have a low cost catastrophic insurance with a $2000 deductible. Routine doctor visits are paid from a health fund that we contribute to.
There are a lot of better ways to do it.

This would help immensely as it weeds out the extra costs of using insurance.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 01/11/14 11:11 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Sat 01/11/14 11:45 AM

I know i will get flak from this, but maybe we should looking into expanding our free clinics, or the clinics in which payments are income-based. Start small (one or two hospitals), then expand. Start directing medicaid money into the system. Then start directing medicare money into the system. Allow private facilities to remain untouched. This would weed out MOUNTAINS of red tape. Perhaps the free market may actually play the role of quality control for both systems (The government and private). No forced insurance, and if done right, in increments, there shouldn't be tax hikes. Just a thought... (Note: I realize the government rarely does things correctly)

Drivinmenutz's photo
Fri 01/10/14 09:40 AM
Edited by Drivinmenutz on Fri 01/10/14 09:40 AM

Thomas Jefferson would probably say "I told you so".

and 'DAMN, my supporters lost their slaves?'

Actually Jefferson attempted to start a movement to abolish slavery. Didn't believe in it. But this is where is hypocritical side has shown through as he was not willing to be in the minority in giving up his slaves. He was more of a "talker" than "do'er", and pretty much decided that people would not yet hear this new ideal. He had the brains, and the beliefs, just not the guts.

This would be unlike Washington, whom I'm pretty sure gave up his slaves, and a great deal of his own wealth to pay down the national debt we collected from our revolution.

Jefferson was still a very intelligent man, who had seen much, and who we could learn much from.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Mon 12/16/13 06:59 AM

Ludwig von Mises Institute
As far as empirical--historical--evidence is concerned, proponents of the orthodox view face obvious embarrassment. The recently ended twentieth century was characterized by a level of human rights violations unparalleled in all of human history. In his book Death by Government, Rudolph Rummel estimates some 170 million government-caused deaths in the twentieth century. The historical evidence appears to indicate that, rather than protecting life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness of their citizens, governments must be considered the greatest threat to human security.

--Hans-Hermann Hoppe. Introduction to The Myth of National Defense: Essays on the Theory and History of Security Production

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." - Thomas Paine

Government is the only thing that can stand against corporate power. I do not think Mr Pain could see this from his time. The trouble with government is that it has been purchased.

I feel that Mr. Paine, and most of the forefathers, saw this clear as day, from their time. All governments get purchased, this is not new. This is why they have tried to instill balance in our government powers. It seems that even this is being surpassed.

This is why Mr. Jefferson believe that revolution was a healthy thing, and should be exercised on a regular basis.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 12/14/13 11:13 AM

as long as parents take the time to have substantial input into their children's education, mountains will be moved that way. my own children as my best example. anything else is the risk we run when we abandon responsibility to our children, and hand it over to the government. I see that as being more the fault of disinterested parents than the gov't

I believe the above statement to be 100% true. Seems many today don't want responsibility, and therefore won't take it. With that push comes the natural step of any government to intervene and take over that responsibility. This is the clockwork behind society today.

As any government steps in, it does so with blanket policies that may work in some cases, and don't in others. I have seen where many new policies hurt the education of the general student body (even traumatize them in some instances), in an attempt to help one troubled student. Truth is, the government lacks the ability to effectively raise a child, and so does the parent who wants to leave responsibility to someone else.

Interesting dichotomy... what the government is teaching is ok as long as the parent is paying enough attention, is intelligent enough, and educated enough, and motivated enough to teach the children that what the government is teaching is a bunch of crap?

Not sure if my point was understood. I am not condoning what our government is teaching in schools or how they are teaching it. I am merely reflecting on the willingness of the people to turn responsibility over to their government, who, by design, cannot make better choices for everyone.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Sat 12/14/13 07:43 AM

as long as parents take the time to have substantial input into their children's education, mountains will be moved that way. my own children as my best example. anything else is the risk we run when we abandon responsibility to our children, and hand it over to the government. I see that as being more the fault of disinterested parents than the gov't

I believe the above statement to be 100% true. Seems many today don't want responsibility, and therefore won't take it. With that push comes the natural step of any government to intervene and take over that responsibility. This is the clockwork behind society today.

As any government steps in, it does so with blanket policies that may work in some cases, and don't in others. I have seen where many new policies hurt the education of the general student body (even traumatize them in some instances), in an attempt to help one troubled student. Truth is, the government lacks the ability to effectively raise a child, and so does the parent who wants to leave responsibility to someone else.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 12/11/13 10:06 AM

Ludwig von Mises Institute
As far as empirical--historical--evidence is concerned, proponents of the orthodox view face obvious embarrassment. The recently ended twentieth century was characterized by a level of human rights violations unparalleled in all of human history. In his book Death by Government, Rudolph Rummel estimates some 170 million government-caused deaths in the twentieth century. The historical evidence appears to indicate that, rather than protecting life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness of their citizens, governments must be considered the greatest threat to human security.

--Hans-Hermann Hoppe. Introduction to The Myth of National Defense: Essays on the Theory and History of Security Production

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." - Thomas Paine

Drivinmenutz's photo
Wed 12/11/13 10:01 AM

surprised whoa slaphead reality check. he is against illegal guns...ILLEGAL. How could any sane person object to that? We should all be against illegal anything

weapons in particular....just goes to show the intelligence level of the bovine masses on spit runasleep

Not sure what constitutes and "illegal" gun in their minds. I personally would like to see fewer guns in the hands of criminals, but people like Bloomberg just pass blanket policies that seem to effect more honest people than criminals. To remove a cancerous tumor one would want to use scalpel. Seems that Bloomberg would prefer a broadsword for the same job.

Again, what constitutes and "illegal" weapon is a perfectly reasonable question. As is questioning the methods in which one would attempt to go after these weapons.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Fri 12/06/13 10:38 AM

I agree on extremism being an issue. Sometimes people get trigger happy. Can't justify spreading broad legislation that will hurt normal folk though.

Not sure where you came up with G.W. planning the economic disaster, but you, yourself said the economy was an issue. What if that were the focus instead of laws that attack average people?

I feel it necessary to point out a hipocracy in your statement...

Fair enough... Let me explain

The economy is cyclical... The safety of your children shouldn't be?

I don't see how tough as nails prevention can hurt anyone.

As Ms Harmony pointed out... no one here advocates disarming anyone... The trigger happy folk need to understand that carrying a loaded weapon around doesn't make sense... the false sense of security, the potential for theft, loss or accidents is too high of price to pay. The spike in Lab produced narcotics, virtually untreatable mental illness has taken it's toll on our society, last thing we need is more weapons being carted around. It has become a showdown on who fires first... Unacceptable!

Your bill of rights to bear arms... If you read it as is, doesn't exclude the mentally challenged, the violent even children are not excluded from that right. Does this make sense to you? The most violent psychopath has the same rights you have to carry loaded weapons around town?

George W... waged a war against a ideology... one that's been growing for 20 yrs prior to 911... It is the unwavering support for Israel and hypocrisy in that region that fuels the Jihadis. The stateless clan of thugs can openly recruit based on this. For 20 years the Americans discounted their gripe till 911. Do you feel safer today? How can you bury your collective heads in the sand about this?

Time for real change!

I understand your viewpoint, I can agree that people who are a danger to themselves and others should not be carrying. Legally, they can't. In fact it's against the law for them to own a firearm, or even be in the same household as one if; they've had a violent history, have committed a felony, or been deemed a potential danger to him/herself or others by a psychiatrist.

I must respectfully disagree about carrying firearms not providing security. Here in Lewiston, Maine (a neighboring town), we had a huge influx of Somali immigrants. Most of whom have made every effort to become a functioning part of society, and are leading productive lives. However, a few formed a small gang who pick people at random, flog them senselessly and take their possessions. I have a friend who works in that area. He was walking to his car that night and he saw two dark figures approach him, one seemed to be carrying an object he thought looked like a pipe. My friend then said "That's close enough", and they proceeded to approach him. Then he reached back to pull out his sidearm (exaggerating his movements so they could see what he was doing), and said "I said stop, that's close enough". The two figures paused, then turned and walked away. Again, the guns aren't what saves the day the majority of time. It's the possibility of being armed, that serves as a deterrent. The unknown is hard to calculate, and as a result, makes a career criminal's life a bit tougher.

That all being said, I cannot see where would be helpful in our security. In fact, anything we make illegal creates a black market, which funds cartels. I point to you our history with Prohibition.

Drivinmenutz's photo
Thu 12/05/13 02:18 PM

so, they take a few minutes to do what is their JOB TO DO,,, and? they are being paid for it, because its their JOB

in the real world, job requirements are constantly being changed and updated, I haven't had one job in probably twenty years where it wasn't stated 'job duties as needed',,, its part of grown up life in the real world

This is a moot point. Job of police is to protect and serve, not just do what they are told. Time gets taken from the pursuit of real criminals and given to this new demographic whose only crime is offending another demographic. Don't see how this can be productive, nor helpful for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 24 25