Community > Posts By > ImDavid

ImDavid's photo
Mon 06/29/09 08:40 AM
Never mind... it just goes in a circle I guess... lol

That was not the point of my post. It's not about MJ. It's about the silliness given to a celebrity death over the death of someone else.

Where was the TRIBUTE to the doctors who made breakthroughs in medicine when they passed? I am sure what they did was much more important than entertainment.

Or the scientists that helped man reach the moon and other extraordinary discoveries? Isn't that a global occurrence that everyone benefited from?

I am not knocking your feelings for celebrities. Fans are fans; no one should try to take that away from them. I just can't see crying and getting so worked up for someone I never knew. I liked his music, I like Billy Mays even! Ed McMahon made me laugh, and Farrah introduced me to boyhood fantasy. I was a big John Wayne fan, Stevie Rae Vaughn fan, Vincent Price fan, even liked Elvis and John Lennon. But my world did not collapse and stop when they died.

When I heard the news they passed, I paused, reflected a little, said a silent prayer, and went on with my day. I can't see crying, leaving work, taking a day off from work, and just wanting to be left alone because someone who I never met and who was not concerned about me, a celebrity, passed away.

It's not that I don't like celebrities. I appreciate that they worked and sacrificed to get where they are. But without people, they wouldn't be on that pedestal.

People touch our lives everyday with their music, their acting, their literary works, but I feel that without us, they wouldn't be who they are.

Okay, sitting in a comfortable chair waiting to get slammed by rebuttals again.... waving

ImDavid's photo
Mon 06/29/09 08:13 AM
If the celebrities, in this case a musician, is such an inspiration in life, why is their music played more after they die?

I haven't heard an MJ song in a very long, long time, but now that is all you hear on the radio.

If the musician is such an icon, why not play their music more while they are still alive?

ImDavid's photo
Mon 06/29/09 05:38 AM
Edited by ImDavid on Mon 06/29/09 05:39 AM
Local news reports a little 10-year-old girl yesterday was walking home, alone, from school when a big man on a black motorcycle pulls up beside her.

After following along for a while, the biker turned to her and asks, "Hey there little girl, do you want to go for a ride?"

"NO!" said the little girl as she keeps on walking.

The biker again pulled up beside her and asks, "Hey little girl, I will give you $10 if you hop on the back."

"NO!" said the little girl as she hurried down the street.

The biker pulled up beside the little girl again and said, "Okay kid, my last offer! I'll give you 20 bucks "and" a big bag of candy if you will just hop on the back of my bike and we will go for a ride."

Finally, the little girl stopped, turned toward him and screamed out...

"Look Dad! You're the one who bought the Honda instead of the Harley! YOU RIDE IT!"

ImDavid's photo
Sun 06/28/09 12:44 PM
Good time not to be a celebrity....

ImDavid's photo
Sat 06/27/09 09:39 AM
A Canadian is having breakfast, in Paris, one morning (coffee, croissants, bread, butter and jam) when a Frenchman, chewing bubble-gum, sits down next to him.

The Canadian ignores the Frenchman who, nevertheless, starts a conversation.

Frenchman: 'You Canadian folk eat the whole bread??'

Canadian (in a bad mood): 'Of course.'

Frenchman: (after blowing a huge bubble) 'We don't. In France, we only eat what's inside. The crusts we collect in a container, recycle it, transform them into croissants and sell them to the Canadians.' The Frenchman has a smirk on his face.

The Canadian listens in silence.

The Frenchman persists: 'Do you eat jelly with the bread??'

Canadian: 'Of Course.'

Frenchman: (cracking his bubble-gum between his teeth and chuckling).

'We don't. In France we eat fresh fruit for breakfast, then we put all the peels, seeds, and leftovers in containers, recycle them, transform them into jam, and sell the jam to the Canadians.'

After a moment of silence, The Canadian then asks: 'Do you have sex in France?'

Frenchman: 'Why of course we do', he says with a big smirk.

Canadian: 'And what do you do with the condoms once you've used them?'

Frenchman: 'We throw them away, of course.'

Canadian: 'We don't. In Canada, we put them in a container, recycle them, melt them down into bubble-gum, and sell them to France.'

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 09:38 AM

Don't feel sorry for me. You don't know me for that. I do have empathy. You don't know me personally and only assumed I was apathetic instead of empathetic. I even said a little prayer in my heart for the celebrities who died, all 3 this week. But my day goes on. No need to reflect all day and have my life stop for someone I don't know.

I never said I was not sorry that a celebrity died. I just said they are not anyone I know personally and can't feel saddened by their death.

You have your feelings, good for you. But you missed my point all together.

I think you contradict yourself. You state that you just went on with your day rather than reflecting on what happened. But you made a big thread about it, so you really didn't just go on with your day.
LOL... multi-tasking at the moment.

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 09:37 AM

I think part of it is that when we reminisce about a singer when they are gone, we are remembering some of our history too.

We remember different parts of our life when we hear different songs. What you were doing around that time....who we were hanging out with or dating then...

I've known Michael Jackson's music since the Jackson 5 started. His music brings back decades of memories in my life.

I hope I explained it in an understandable way.
Yes, you did. And I respect your thoughts and feelings. But this post is not just about Michael Jackson... it is about how a celebrity (and not just music or actors) death gets more warrant than anyone else.

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 09:34 AM

Well each person will value life differently. Equally each person will choose what is worthy of mourning. I completely respect and value your outlook on this topic. However I have to disagree with your last statement. They MATTER... I agree family does matter, but just because you didn't feel their death was a tragedy, some people do. To say what matters or not is bordering on saying what is truth and what is opinion. And if you become an entertainer or a professional musician then it has in fact become real life to you. It is after all a profession. Another thing is obituaries are posted in the paper, people that were truly influencial on communities may even get a headline or a story based on them. I don't ever remember any headlines about MJ or any other celebrity for that matter saying "This person died and it means more then if YOU died!" They are simply honoring the memory of someone who dedicated their life to their art and the public. Many people use entertainment or music to help them get through difficult times. Listen to that certain song when you're sad. The song "Lean On Me" was played at my brothers funeral and will always have a deep signifigance to me. Many people look to these forms of media to help them feel more adjusted or normal in their feelings. So while I understand how you feel, there will be others that will take it more to heart and who are we to say their feelings are invalid?
Yes, and I agree with your observations. I understand that there are fans who just fall wholeheartedly into the lives of those they adore... if that makes them happy, so be it. My "gripe", I guess it can now be called, is that celebrities are always made much bigger than any person should be. I am sure their deaths mean something more to their hardcore fans. I don't wish to invalidate their feelings. Just saying it should be taken more in perspective. We watch their movies, we listen to their music and yes it makes us feel good for a moment. But having someone there who will let you cry on their shoulder and comfort you other than listening to a song means so much more to me.

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 09:29 AM

Well, I looked up to Carlin also. Hell, I even got in trouble in school doing some his routines during speech and debate. I also looked up to John Wayne, George C. Scott, Henry Fonda and many other great actors. They were my inspirations to get into community theater, performing on stage, commercials, and even a small bit part in a released to CD movie.

As much as I admired these people and were inspired by them to act and even now beginning to write, I can't see losing any sleep over their deaths.

Yes, it saddened me some because they passed away. It's only natural when someone you felt was a "part" of your life has gone. But I am not about to put my life on hold, cry all day, or want someone to "hold me" because a celebrity icon has died.

I'm sorry... even as much as a celebrity has influenced me to pursue what little acting or comedy stand-up I have done, I just can't see being so saddened and depressed by their death.

Think of the time and money being wasted on telling us over and over again that a "cultural icon" has died, what he did, what he gave, blah blah blah. A real fan of his doesn't have to me reminded by the news media. They will remember and feel it within themselves.

I never disliked MJ, even with all the problems he created for himself or was accused of. I just get bothered by the way the media tells us a celebrity death is so much more important than our death would be.

They entertained us, big deal. I take it for the entertainment value, enjoy it, and move on to everyday real life after the fun. They inspired us, yes. But I don't keep falling back on them or giving them credit for what I have accomplished trying their craft. It was me and my effort that made it what it was.

Reflect, enjoy, remember.... but put the real emotions towards the people who are there everyday in your life. They are the ones who should sadden us when they pass. They are the ones I would take a day off from work or sit and cry about. Family, friends, even some good acquaintances.... they are within reach everyday. They care whether we succeed or fail. THEY matter.....

perhaps you simply lack empathy...

some "celebrities" affect me more than others... Tim Russert - yeah I did not know him, but I grew up with his political analysis - and I was saddened when he died. JFK Jr., no I did not know him - but I was saddened when he died... not to say as much as when my Father passed away, but feelings none the less...

your comments are interesting, but different people feel differently about things... I enjoy being a "feeling" person - your comments make me feel sorry for you that you cannot feel empathy for others...

some people in this world have abilities that we "normal" folks can only dream and aspire too... when they die, it is a sad thing... that their abilities will no longer be seen/heard/experienced again...

depressed by their death? no - that's a little on the "unhealthy" side...

Don't feel sorry for me. You don't know me for that. I do have empathy. You don't know me personally and only assumed I was apathetic instead of empathetic. I even said a little prayer in my heart for the celebrities who died, all 3 this week. But my day goes on. No need to reflect all day and have my life stop for someone I don't know.

I never said I was not sorry that a celebrity died. I just said they are not anyone I know personally and can't feel saddened by their death.

You have your feelings, good for you. But you missed my point all together.

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 07:57 AM
Well, I looked up to Carlin also. Hell, I even got in trouble in school doing some his routines during speech and debate. I also looked up to John Wayne, George C. Scott, Henry Fonda and many other great actors. They were my inspirations to get into community theater, performing on stage, commercials, and even a small bit part in a released to CD movie.

As much as I admired these people and were inspired by them to act and even now beginning to write, I can't see losing any sleep over their deaths.

Yes, it saddened me some because they passed away. It's only natural when someone you felt was a "part" of your life has gone. But I am not about to put my life on hold, cry all day, or want someone to "hold me" because a celebrity icon has died.

I'm sorry... even as much as a celebrity has influenced me to pursue what little acting or comedy stand-up I have done, I just can't see being so saddened and depressed by their death.

Think of the time and money being wasted on telling us over and over again that a "cultural icon" has died, what he did, what he gave, blah blah blah. A real fan of his doesn't have to me reminded by the news media. They will remember and feel it within themselves.

I never disliked MJ, even with all the problems he created for himself or was accused of. I just get bothered by the way the media tells us a celebrity death is so much more important than our death would be.

They entertained us, big deal. I take it for the entertainment value, enjoy it, and move on to everyday real life after the fun. They inspired us, yes. But I don't keep falling back on them or giving them credit for what I have accomplished trying their craft. It was me and my effort that made it what it was.

Reflect, enjoy, remember.... but put the real emotions towards the people who are there everyday in your life. They are the ones who should sadden us when they pass. They are the ones I would take a day off from work or sit and cry about. Family, friends, even some good acquaintances.... they are within reach everyday. They care whether we succeed or fail. THEY matter.....

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 07:15 AM

Yes, they do. Here's just one example:

A 14-year-old girl named Bernadette Whelan died of heart faiure on May 30, 1974, four days after collapsing at a concert held by David Cassidy at London's White City Stadium. Six hundred and fifty were injured, and 30 taken to the hospital. The shaken Cassidy brought Whelan a bouquet of flowers as she lie unconscious in the hospital, and sent her parents a letter of regret. When she died, he was so rattled, he quit both touring and The Partridge Family, and took a 3-year sabbatical. Whelan's death was a turning point in his career, and he's never forgotten her.

So yes, it does happen.

So much so that he is now doing a major gig in Vegas....

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/26/09 06:47 AM
I just don't understand what makes a celebrity death so much more important than a regular person's death.

Yes, Michael Jackson was a great entertainer, but why should his life mean more to me, an average person, than mine would mean to him?

Does a celebrity morn the death of a fan, the one who made them the celebrity they are? What about the great teachers, doctors, religious inspirations, and just the everyday person who gives more of themselves than they take?

I'm sorry Michael Jackson died. I'm more sorry for the children losing their parent. But I don't see the reason behind the major coverage and "hoopla" being given. What poor timing for Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon in their deaths. Did not their fans love them as much as the Jackson fans loved Michael?

I'm not demeaning or making light of his death. It is sad when anyone dies. But I can't see how people are crying so much, being so upset and even depressed by it. Save those emotions and feelings for someone real in your life; someone who actually cared about you even if just in brief passing.

I'm sorry, I just can't see getting so upset over the death of a celebrity. I save those kind of feelings for someone who would be as upset about something happening to me as I would be if something happened to them. Someone who has given real influence in my life other than just entertaining me.

Sorry if you don't agree, just my rambling feelings. Be sorry for his death, remember the fun he gave, but save the real heartfelt emotions for those that you love, that love you and that matter in your life.

ImDavid's photo
Thu 06/25/09 07:41 PM
Dave was attending his hunting club's monthly meeting and had just told them he couldn't make the hunting trip scheduled for the next day because his wife wouldn't let him go.

After listening to the jeers and other derisive remarks from his fellow biker buddies Dave left to go back home to his wife.

When Dave's friends started arriving to set up camp the next day, who should be there but Dave sitting in front of his tent, beer in hand, camp oven roast stewing away in a hot bed of coals.

"How did ya talk your wife into letting you go Dave?"

"I didn't have to" was Dave's reply.

"When I left the meeting I went home and slumped down in my chair with a beer to drown my sorrows. Then my wife snuck up behind me and covered my eyes and said, 'Surprise'!"

When I peeled her hands back she was standing there in a beautiful see-through negligee and she said, "Carry me into the bedroom, tie me to the bed and you can do whatever you want."

So here I am!

ImDavid's photo
Mon 06/22/09 01:13 PM
A man is recovering from surgery when the Surgical Nurse appears and asks him how he is feeling.

'I'm O. K. but I didn't like the four letter-words the doctor used in surgery,' he answered.

'What did he say?' asked the nurse.

'Oops!'

ImDavid's photo
Sun 06/21/09 12:10 PM
An old man goes to the Wizard to ask him if he can remove a curse he has been living with for the last 40 years.

The Wizard says, 'Maybe, but you will have to tell me the exact words that were used to put the curse on you..'

The old man says without hesitation, 'I now pronounce you man and wife.'

ImDavid's photo
Sat 06/20/09 05:33 PM
The following are all replies that Detroit women have written on Child Support Agency Forms in the section for listing 'father's details; or putting it another way..... Who's ya Daddy? "These are genuine excerpts from the forms".

Be sure to check out #11. It takes 1st prize and #2 is runner-up.

1. Regarding the identity of the father of my twins, Makeeshia was fathered by Maclearndon McKinley. I am unsure as to the identity of the father of Marlinda, but I believe that she was conceived on the same night.

2. I am unsure, as to the identity of the father of my child, as I was being sick out of a window when taken unexpectedly from behind. I can provide you with a list of names of men that I think were at the party if this helps.

3. I do not know the name of the father of my little girl. She was conceived at a party at 3600 East Grand boulevard where I had sex with a man I met that night. I do remember that the sex was so good that I fainted. If you do manage to track down the father, can you please send me his phone number? Thanks.

4. I don't know the identity of the father of my daughter. He drives a BMW that now has a hole made by my stiletto in one of the doorpanels. Perhaps you can contact BMW service stations in this area and see if he's had it replaced.

5. I have never had sex with a man.. I am still a Virginian. I am awaiting a letter from the Pope confirming that my son's conception was ejaculate and that he is the Saver risen again.

6. I cannot tell you the name of Alleshia's dad as he informs me that to do so would blow his cover and that would have cataclysmic implications for the economy. I am torn between doing right by you and right by the country. Please advise.

7. I do not know who the father of my child was as they all look the same to me.

8. Tyrone Hairston is the father of child A If you do catch up with him; can you ask him what he did with my AC/DC CDs? Child B who was also borned at the same time.... well, I don't have clue.

9. From the dates it seems that my daughter was conceived at Disney World; maybe it really is the Magic Kingdom.

10. So much about that night is a blur. The only thing that I remember for sure is Delia Smith did a program about eggs earlier in the evening. If I had stayed in and watched more TV rather than going to the party at 8956 Miller Ave, mine might have remained unfertilized.

11. I am unsure as to the identity of the father of my baby, after all, like when you eat a can of beans you can't be sure which one made you fart.

ImDavid's photo
Sat 06/20/09 07:29 AM

REGISTRATION MUST BE COMPLETED by Tuesday:

NOTE: DUE TO THE COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULTY LEVEL OF THEIR CONTENTS, CLASS SIZES WILL BE LIMITED TO 8 PARTICIPANTS MAXIMUM.

Class 1
Up in Winter, Down in Summer - How to Adjust a Thermostat Step by Step, with Slide Presentation.
Meets 4 weeks, Monday and Wednesday for 2 hrs beginning at 7:00 PM..

Class 2
Which Takes More Energy - Putting the Toilet Seat Down, or Bitching About It for 3 Hours?
Round Table Discussion.
Meets 2 weeks, Saturday 12:00 for 2 hours.

Class 3
Is It Possible To Drive Past a Wal-Mart Without Stopping?--Group Debate.
Meets 4 weeks, Saturday 10:00 PM for 2 hours.

Class 4
Fundamental Differences Between a Purse and a Suitcase--Pictures and Explanatory Graphics.
Meets Saturdays at 2:00 PM for 3 weeks.

Class 5
Curling Irons--Can They Levitate and Fly Into The Bathroom Cabinet?
Examples on Video.
Meets 4 weeks, Tuesday and Thursday for 2 hours beginning at 7:00 PM

Class 6
How to Ask Questions During Commercials and Be Quiet During the Program.
Help Line Support and Support Groups.
Meets 4 Weeks, Friday and Sunday 7:00 PM

Class 7
Can a Bath Be Taken Without 14 Different Kinds of Soaps and Shampoos?
Open Forum. Monday at 8:00 PM, 2 hours.

Class 8
Health Watch--They Make Medicine for PMS - USE IT!
Three nights; Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 7:00 PM for 2 hours.

Class 9
I Was Wrong and He Was Right!--Real Life Testimonials.
Tuesdays at 6:00 PM Location to be determined.

Class 10
How to Parallel Park In Less Than 20 Minutes Without an Insurance Claim.
Driving Simulations.
4 weeks, Saturday's noon, 2 hours.

Class 11
Learning to Live--How to Apply Brakes Without Throwing Passengers Through the Windshield.
Tuesdays at 7:00 PM, location to be determined

Class 12
How to Shop by Yourself.
Meets 4 weeks, Tuesday and Thursday for 2 hours beginning at 7:00 PM.

Class 13
How to Fight Cerebral Atrophy--Remembering To Take a List To The Store, Avoiding Separate Trips for Each Item Needed.
Cerebral Shock Therapy Sessions and Full Lobotomies Offered.
Three nights; Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 7:00 PM for 2 hours...

Class 14
The Stove/Oven--What It Is and How It Is Used.
Live Demonstration.
Tuesdays at 6:00 PM, location to be determined.

ImDavid's photo
Fri 06/19/09 07:57 AM
'Of course I won't laugh,' said the nurse. 'I'm a professional. In over twenty years I've never laughed at a patient.'

'Okay then,' said Fred, and he proceeded to drop his trousers, revealing the tiniest 'man thingy' the nurse had ever seen. Length and width, it couldn't have been bigger than a AAA battery.

Unable to control herself, the nurse started giggling, then fell to the floor laughing. Ten minutes later, she was able to struggle to her feet and regain her composure.

'I am so sorry,' she said. 'I don't know what came over me. On my honor as a nurse and a lady, I promise it won't happen again. Now, tell me, what seems to be the problem?'

'It's swollen,' Fred replied.

She ran out of the room.

ImDavid's photo
Thu 06/18/09 12:11 PM

1) A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.

2) There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in Louisiana.

3) There are 10,000 types of spiders, and all 10,000 of them live in Louisiana.

4) If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

5) Onced" and "Twiced" are words.

6) It is not a shopping cart, it's a buggy.

7) "Jawl-P?" means, "Did y'all go to the bathroom?"

8) People actually grow and eat okra.

9) "Fixinto" is one word.

10) There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there is supper...

11) Iced tea is appropriate for all meals, and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar.

12) Backwards and forwards means, "I know everythin' 'bout you.

13) The word "jeet" is actually a phrase meaning, "Did you eat?"

14) You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see...

15) You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH 'em.

16) You measure distance in minutes.

17) You switch from heat to A/C in the same day.

18) All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.

19) You know what a "Dawg" is.

20) You carry jumper cables in your car - for your own car.

21) You only own five spices: salt, pepper, Tony Chachere's, Tabasco , and ketchup.

22) The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and LSU football...

23) You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

24) You find 100 degrees "a bit warm."

25) You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.

26) Going to Walmart is a favorite past time known as "Goin' Walmartin" or "off to Wally World."

27) You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather.

28) Fried catfish is the other white meat.

29) We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. . . if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

30) You eat it before it eats you.

ImDavid's photo
Thu 06/18/09 10:55 AM
Two guys were discussing popular family trends on sex, marriage, and family values.

Stu said, 'I didn't sleep with my wife before we got married, did you?'

Leroy replied, 'I'm not sure, what was her maiden name?'

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 24 25