Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 02/05/12 10:34 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sun 02/05/12 10:35 PM

IMO: Congress shouldn't have the power to effect business.

Congress is there to protect and serve 'the people'. If a business is not serving the public interest it is the responsibility of Congress to correct the issue. They do have that power - what should never happed is that business has the power to effect congress - only the poeple are invested with that power.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 02/05/12 10:28 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sun 02/05/12 10:31 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-clears-way-vote-insider-trading-ban-232735539.html;_ylt=AoEN43zHwJ95exvuDQUbEwys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsNW83Mmx jBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDNjYxM2YwY2QtNWZjNS0zMTUwLWJiNDItN2Y5M2Uy MmE4M2EwBHBvcwM1BHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyA2QzOTQ5NDgwLTRiZDYtMTFlMS1iZjY3LTZjMGJlZjIyMTM2NA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdA Nob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Senate clears way for vote on insider-trading ban
By LARRY MARGASAK | Associated Press – 7 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress' low approval ratings have sparked a rare instance of bipartisanship, as both parties are rushing to pass a bill that would make it clear that insider trading laws apply to lawmakers.

The Senate voted 93-2 Monday to clear the way for consideration of amendments and — sponsors hope — final passage later this week.

Members of both parties looked at approval ratings in the teens in an election year and didn't like what they saw. But it was an independent, Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, who may have best expressed Congress' political plight.

"The numbers of people who have a favorable impression of this body are so low that we're down to close relatives and paid staff. And I'm not so sure about the paid staff," he said.

The legislation would require disclosure of new stock transactions on the Internet within 30 days and explicitly prohibit members of Congress from initiating trades based on non-public information they acquired in their official capacity. The legislation, at least partly symbolic, is aimed at answering critics who say lawmakers profit from businesses where they have special knowledge.

U.S. lawmakers already are subject to the same penalties as other investors who use non-public information to enrich themselves, though no member of Congress in recent memory has been charged with insider trading. In 2005, the Securities and Exchange Commission and Justice Department investigated then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's sale of stock in his family's hospital company, but no charges were ever brought against the Tennessee Republican.

Voters may believe lawmakers who are paid an annual salary of $174,000 are enriching themselves — especially if those voters saw a segment of CBS' "60 Minutes" in November. The show questioned trades by a House committee chairman, the current speaker and his predecessor's husband. Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., all denied wrongdoing. Bachus chairs the Financial Services Committee.

A recent Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll of registered voters found 56 percent favored replacing the entire 535-member Congress. Other polls this year have given Congress approval ratings between 11 percent and 13 percent, while disapproval percentages have ranged from 79 percent to 86 percent.

The bill is titled the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act. President Barack Obama has endorsed it.

The Senate bill would prohibit lawmakers from tipping off family members or others about non-public information that could influence a stock's price, in addition to the explicit ban itself. And it would direct the House and Senate ethics committees to write rules that would make insider trading violators subject to congressional punishment.

House leaders are working on a more expansive bill that would include land deals and other non-stock transactions. A vote is expected in February.

This is not a solution - who will oversee it? How many congressional leaders owe back taxes? How many of the wallstreet hierarchy, whose corporations went bust becasue of their illegal actions are now serving in high level public sector positions like in Obama's cabinet? How many Monsanto and major players in pharma now have positions in the FDA or have gone back and forth?

And now we should be satisfied that a law is passed to prevent something that was illegal in the first place.

You lock your door to keep honest people honest, not keep crooks out.

disgusting - what about looking at legislation to undo the 'Citizens United' president? Or rolling back to pre-deregulated financial sectors? What about holding individuals responsible for their respective roles in the financial melt down?

Do they really think we'll be impressed by a law that 'specifically' holds the upper crust of societies rich to a standard that already existed for everyone? WTF!

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 02/05/12 10:14 PM

Well, here I am in the heat of the city - THE CITY FOR SUPER-BOWL WEEKEND - Indianapolous, IN.

And just last week our fearless (sometimes senseless) leader Govn'r
Mith Daniels signed AT-WILL into law.

WEEELLLL - howdy OCCUPY and our good friends the labor unions. Hotel workers, food service workers, have scheduled a strike, an estimated 150,000 super-bowl fans in a city OCCUPIED.

It's utterly amazing the conspicuous lack of news coverage. However, bus loads of Occupiers, teamsters, and other union members from distant counties and out-of-staters are scheduled to arrive for Saturday and Sunday 'festivities'.

In the midst of an already (pre-occupied) overcrowded city, the Occupiers expect thier numbers to block the roads (that aren't already closed).

As they say in Chicago "It'll be a hot time in the old town."

It ought to be interesting!

Interesting timing for the signing. They had to know it would bring the union machine.

Just in time to be fleeced by the Super Bowl.

and all the city merchants that have 'clamped' on to the event.

Few hours of stupid people making useless noise.

Millions in revenue.

Yea, unfortunately concentrated mass consumerism is more appealing to the media and apparently is more soothing to those who have been effectively programmed to be drawn into the colosseum of the new gladiators. Occupy got ignored but I expected that, it was the sqeezeing out of the "right to work" protests that is most unfortunate.

Indiana is considered to be a pivotal state in getting that legislation passed and if the 'right to work' legislation appears to have passed unfrettered, others (those who like to follow) are more likely to allow it in their own states.

Despite the fact that unions have some issues, I still think that destroying the system which gives workers the means to have a balance between their work and their private lives is a grave mistake.

Just something else for the 99% to add to their growing list of grievances.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 02/05/12 09:51 PM

Someone throws glitter on me they better be ready to be arrested because I would consider that assault. You get a piece of glitter in your eye you have a serious problem because it can cause damage to the lense.

I don't have a problem with anyone standing in a public place and stateing or displaying their opinion in cival speech. But to me a thug who sqats on private or public property like it is theirs to sleep, camp, fornicate, deficate, set fires on and generally destroy or impead the legitimate use by those who;s right is to use it ticks me off.

As a law abiding taxpayer when they destroy my public places, harm my public servants, and especially charities that do all kinds of good works for others my tolerance is very miniscule.

Especially when I have done my homework on issues, presented solutions, and made legitimate public protests with out hurting anyone and seen it work.

So are soldiers who wizz on the dead bodies of their newly slaughtered ok with you then. Do they make ALL soldiers look bad?

Your public servents have been throwing tear gas and macing people in the face, and shooting rubber bullets at people's heads.

Public space is there to be occupied by the public and never is it so well used as when it serves justice. Protest of injustice IS legitimate use of public space.

As a law abiding taxpayer worried about the destruction of YOUR public places, I would think you'd be more concerned about the destruction of that's caused by fracking, mining and oil procurement. I would think you'd be upset by the toxic chemicals that you drink with your water and inhale as you breathe. I would think you'd be concerned with the break down in FDA practices that allow carcinogens to be flourish in the food you eat.

But never mind about the big picture, there are Occupiers out there working for you, so that you can be upset over those two teens who are fornicating in a movie theatre, whose seat you may have to sit in someday. flowerforyou

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 02/05/12 09:19 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sun 02/05/12 09:22 PM
Two sci-fi stories immediately came to mind.

"The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells, published in 1895.

There were no books, everything was placed on 'discs'. When the disc was set in motion on its base, holographic images and sound were the result. But the poeple (the Elans, I think they were called) did not even know how to use them. No books existed, so they never learned to read or write and all past knowledge had been lost to them.

"George Orwell: 1984" Published in 1949. So many books were lost and more being banned and destroyed all the time. People began to memorize their favorite books including publication information, forwards, page numbers and punctuation.

Two amazing writers, their foresight was chilling. As for me, I LIKE my books. I like the new technology that allows us to read at low cost, and read a lot. But there's nothing like going to a great library and feeling totally in awe of the many great minds whose thoughts, ideas and creative talents have moved the world. It's as if by holding those books and reading the words, you are touching all those people.

Here, in this book, is someone worth knowing, there in that book, are ideas that changed agriculture forever, and that one whose author spent many years researching in order to write the history of a nation. And in the science fiction section, the authors whose chilling foresight are idea in wait of a more distant future.

I would never give up my books.

When I was young my heros were all authors.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 02/02/12 11:06 PM

many countries have an official language, it doesnt affect what language people are allowed to speak, it just sets a STANDARD that people are expected to understand for business and education purposes

Exactly.

If that's the case, then what's the point?

Nationalism is highly overrated and there is nothing about the language(s) we use in this country that screams (THIS IS O U R LANGUAGE).

The point of language is to communicate and even with my own son, I sometimes fail, I'm so not into textspeak. And now I'm trying to learn lexicalized American sign language - kinda like accronyms and some abbreviations.

It's amazing, but somehow we DO all learn to communicate regardless of the language we speak.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 02/02/12 10:53 PM
Well, here I am in the heat of the city - THE CITY FOR SUPER-BOWL WEEKEND - Indianapolous, IN.

And just last week our fearless (sometimes senseless) leader Govn'r
Mith Daniels signed AT-WILL into law.

WEEELLLL - howdy OCCUPY and our good friends the labor unions. Hotel workers, food service workers, have scheduled a strike, an estimated 150,000 super-bowl fans in a city OCCUPIED.

It's utterly amazing the conspicuous lack of news coverage. However, bus loads of Occupiers, teamsters, and other union members from distant counties and out-of-staters are scheduled to arrive for Saturday and Sunday 'festivities'.

In the midst of an already (pre-occupied) overcrowded city, the Occupiers expect thier numbers to block the roads (that aren't already closed).

As they say in Chicago "It'll be a hot time in the old town."

It ought to be interesting!

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 02/02/12 10:31 PM
What is the importance of a law declaring ONE language as a national language?

What kind of laws would grow out of such a declaration? How would they be enforced?

If American/English(AE) were a national language, would schools be held accountable for producing high-school graduates with a certain level of reading, writing, and speaking skills?

Would we consider text-speak a form of AE? Would rap be an acceptable form of the language - or country slang?

And what about 'dialects', fad phrases and the use of colloquialisms, contractions and OMG what about acronyms from netlingo to medical, from computer to government? Heck (now that's a word, isn't it?)the DOD even has a dictionary of acronyms and abbreviations.

Do you all feel confident that you could pass a government acronym test?

Would the governments (fed and state) have to set up new departments to oversee and enforce all the new regulations?

So, srsly whad-up wid u awl, whachu be thinkn?

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/31/12 04:37 PM

It all made sense and the only education necessary was where the vaccine could be had, because few had not witnessed polio at its worst.

True.

We did succeed and it proved that vaccine could work IF everyone took on the immunity the vaccine provided.

We did not have 100% of the citizenry vaccinated. Were the amish vaccinated? Certainly there were a few paranoid people living in remote locations of the US who were not vaccinated. We were able to destroy polio with something less than 100%.

That's why when new vaccines came out for chilhood diseases, they were made mandatory,

I'm curious about any temporary fascism that we may have gone through. I wasn't aware that vaccines were ever forcibly imposed on everyone.

Childhood vaccinations are mandatory prerequisites for various things, including attendance in the public school system. This is fine.

Are there hospitals that require you to agree to vaccination in order to use their birthing services? If so, I'd be fine with that.

But they aren't absolutely mandatory, afaik.

It's still legal to birth your child at home, and its still legal to choose not to send them to public school and to choose not to have them vaccinated. I think that protecting those freedoms is essential. Looking on a time scale of centuries, I think that protecting those freedoms is more important than saving individual lives.

No one gets it because they are vaccinated.

Exactly. And the anti-vaxers are doing a disservice to everyone else.

Are there any other reasons besides 'conspiracy-phobia' against vaccination?

Against vaccination, or against mandatory vaccination?

As far as 'reasons not to be vaccinated' - that can depend on the disease being vaccinated against.

Thanks Massage, good points. As far as which vaccines should be required, for school, health field..., I agree that not all vaccines serve the population as well as they serve the individual choosing to get the vaccine, pnemonia vaccine for example.

To vaccinate or not can be an emotionally charged issue, but for the most radical diseases, vaccines have been proven effective when the largest number of people take them.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/31/12 03:29 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Tue 01/31/12 03:30 PM

What I see as I lay in my Bed

Here's something for those who enjoy conspiracy.

How old is that map?
Who were the makers and producers?
What market was it meant to be distributed in?
Are the land masses proportionate to actual measures?

The greatest conspiracies, encompassing entire societies, are those
most ignored, particularly within the population.

Such conspiracy is all around us in fact it's institutionalized to
such a great extent that we don't even recognize it in our everyday
lives.

Better than basket weaving or needle point but it takes an open mind
and the risk is having to face 'facts'.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/31/12 03:09 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Tue 01/31/12 03:11 PM

Yet, I am vigorously opposed to an across the board government-imposed mandatory vaccination of adults.

Though it makes sense to me when people are entering a different country, or taking certain jobs.

I am strongly opposed to a mandatory vaccination of children.

We should educate people so they will vaccinate willingly.

Like Bravelady, I grew up when mass introduction of the polio vaccine came out so it's the most harmful disease I've witnessed. Back then, the ideal was to 'eradicate' this disease. It was thought the only way to do it was to deny the virus a place to thrive - our bodies.

When we had reached a point when new polio cases were no longer being reported, laboratoies were suppose to destroy the samples they had been keeping for research. If new cases were discovered it was likely that they would not be of the same strain and would require a new research anyway.

It all made sense and the only education necessary was where the vaccine could be had, because few had not witnessed polio at its worst.

We did succeed and it proved that vaccine could work IF everyone took on the immunity the vaccine provided.

That's why when new vaccines came out for chilhood diseases, they were made mandatory, because people gained a false sense of security when polio and menegitis became more invisible. The absolute worst reason for not procuring such vaccines is "no one gets that anymore, and I'm not going to risk my child to a vaccine." No one gets it because they are vaccinated.

Not all viruses can be erradicated but they can mutate and those who don't receive vaccines put the rest of society at risk. That's why the mandate has continued but has relaxed. Some are not healthy enough, or have allergies to something in the vaccine - ok, I can understand that.

Some have a religious reason and now even that can be an excuse but personally I find that a terribly offensive reason. People have the right to their beliefs but when those beliefs put uncounted populations at risk, the beliefs cease to be benign and become harmful to society.

Are there any other reasons besides 'conspiracy-phobia' against vaccination?

Perhaps the education we need most should begin in chilhood and from kindergarten on, children should be taught age appropriate ethics so that when entering adulthood, everyone understands that taking a one in 2.5 million (or more) risk for the benefit of the entire population is worth taking, because the entire population includes all the people you care most about.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 01/30/12 05:32 PM

So a person that gets a heart transplant is no longer the same person?
Lets add another element.

What if he has a heart grown that is identical from a genetic stand point but without the deficiency. Yes its different, but from a biological stand point it does not have the issues of rejection.

It belongs . . . . the other parts recognize it . . .

What does it mean to belong?

Back to the quote in blue soon but first, so far we have found some examples to refer to:

A chair that is adorned vs. a chair that has been modified
a transplanted heart, grown (from the individuals stem cells perhaps) that is identical, from a genetic stand point, but without the deficiency
putting one persons brain into another persons body
an engine out of a 1984 Trans Am from the junk yard to replace in my 1984 Trans Am of the same model that engine

Here’s a new one, possibly a paradox in itself or possible it offers help in answering the question What does it mean to belong? An individual who self identifies as a ‘gender-bender’ and the full-blown counterpart a surgically ‘complete’ transgendered person.

When humans assign identity to an inanimate object, the identity of the parts that make up the whole tend to lose significance as their measure alone is worth less than the whole. The parts take on the identity of the whole.

When we change a part of an object to repair or enhance its original function (or purpose) we do not, typically, assign it a different identity.

A toaster is a toaster whether it accepts two slices of bread or four or whether it has a browning setting or not.

A vehicle that looks like a 1984 Trans Am is still identified as such (unless a primo financial deal depends on it having ‘original parts from that year’s make & model). Often times, it’s not even a matter of the vehicle having ITS own original parts, as long as they are the parts from a similarly identified vehicle.

Then we move on to humans. We can certainly create stereotypical identities and place individuals within that construct – but when humans assign identity to other humans, there must be a consensus between those being identified as and those who do the identifying, in order for that label to become a part of one’s self-identity.

What does it mean to belong?
For humans it seems that belonging is a necessity. To meet this need, we must be welcome, accepted, and valued by various groups of people.

There have always been transgendered people, in fact some tribes have promoted this behavior when females were prized and stolen away leaving insufficient women to take on the woman’s role in a partnership.

But in many countries, in the civilized world developed more modern beliefs that made transgenders unacceptable to the max - by putting to death those who were accused or found out.

That very brief history is important because it supports the point I am making: That much of our self-proclaimed identity is dependent on the need to be accepted.

Why is that important to the discussion? Because the function/purpose of humans is not thought of in the same way as objects AND neither humans nor objects relate their identity to ‘reality’ – reality being that we (humans) seem to have self-defined functions or purpose which become THE WHOLE. That is what I was referring to with toaster, chair, & car parts replacement - they get lost 'under' the identity of the whole.

We think of ourselves, apart from the stuff we are made of thus, we find it unacceptable to think that something as “insignificant” as an organ transplant, could possibly change us as the WHOLE person, because we have a self-proclaimed identity and it is imperative to our acceptance within our social groups that we do not change that identity.

Thoughts?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 01/30/12 08:10 AM

Correct, the person who gets a heart transplant is no longer the same person because one piece of the whole has been replaced with a new, hopefully stronger, piece....flowerforyou

At this point, I tend to agree. However, there are two types of identity in question.

In the case of a human, the change in identity may be internal only -like a heart transplant. The body knows that this is not its heart and will attack it, thus identity is changed.

The other identity is superficial, what does an object look like, sound like and does it appear to function as it did before it was changed. We can be fooled by our sensory perception but in the case of living beings we know that changes to the physical, change the identity recognition of the whole.

Yes, I considered this before I answered, but his question was not up for interpretation...As it was asked, the answer I gave would be the right answer....

Sorry, it wasn't my intension to quibble rather, I was thinking as I was writing so I added that we might be considering two kinds of identity. It might even be argued in other ways. That's what makes this a good topic.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 01/29/12 05:45 PM

Correct, the person who gets a heart transplant is no longer the same person because one piece of the whole has been replaced with a new, hopefully stronger, piece....flowerforyou

At this point, I tend to agree. However, there are two types of identity in question.

In the case of a human, the change in identity may be internal only -like a heart transplant. The body knows that this is not its heart and will attack it, thus identity is changed.

The other identity is superficial, what does an object look like, sound like and does it appear to function as it did before it was changed. We can be fooled by our sensory perception but in the case of living beings we know that changes to the physical, change the identity recognition of the whole.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 01/29/12 11:45 AM
And even if they did have the same set of standards (information) would each individual process it "exactly" the same?....

No!

Instead of a ship or inanimate object, lets review the same OP topic using a human being.

And in response to above quote:

I think that was the point - to build up a working set of ideas on the notion of identity, without the extra garbage that comes from preconceived notions of (and attachments to) 'self'.

Yes, I think I got the point. I thought there should be two points of reference when considering the OP topic, one being subjective (human perspective) the other objective (inanimate objects). I’ll explain in further below.

Linking a thing for practical purposes to a concept as identity never runs into paradox, only reference to some mysterious dualistic notion of consciousness has issues.

When we refer to objects whose existence is the product of human intervention and whose volition is not self determined, the object’s identity often stems from the concepts of purpose or function we have assigned to the object.

An object, once made, can be modified in many ways and its identity may still be considered to be the same.

Example: If you add a seat cushion to a four legged plain wooden chair, is it the same chair?
If you cover the chair with colorful material, is it the same chair?
If you semi-dismantle the pieces of the chair, modify them and reassemble them, add padding and the colorful material so that now the chair reclines and is more comfortable, is it the same chair?

But what if we were talking about a human being?
only reference to some mysterious dualistic notion of consciousness has issues.

If we omit ideas dealing with the mysterious, would we still find that there is a duality of body and mind, if we were to transplant the brain of one human into another?

Without depending on mysticism, I think that consciousness is a dual product that develops through the dynamic and interactive features that exist between brain and body functions and body interacting with environment.

Each part does make up the whole, however what parts make up personality/ identity?

In effect Consciousness has two parts, the part that monitors and responds to the body’s internal workings, and the sensory input (real or perceived) of the body interacting with environment.

The brain is conscious (aware) of sensory input at all times or it’s flatlined and the body soon ceases to function. This part of the brain also sends signals which tell the cognitive side of the brain that the body NEEDS something. Through cognition, the individual makes decisions about what behavior is necessary to fill these needs.

The decision-making, which dictates behavior, is a cognitive function which requires interaction with the environment. What an individual learns about her body, needs, preferences and so on, stem from this interaction. Future behaviors are then based on how the brain stored and how the individual recalls those past perceptions. These perceptions are influenced by how the brain, both cognitive, and automatic, perceive the body.

Thus our interaction, in this particular body, within a particular environment, become components of an individual’s identity.

If you move the brain of a thirty year old, 6’2”, 195 Lb, black male, born and raised in Africa, into a 27 year old, 5’10”, 220 LB, white male, born and raised in Arizona, will it be the body that retains identity, the brain, or will we see a totally different person?

We don’t need to recognize the duality that exists in a brain to know a duality exists, because we all know that no two humans are the same. But at our fundamental roots, humans are the same, it is only the duality of brain function that separates us from each other.

So if the body is considered a ‘whole’ object whose parts are equivalent (at base function levels) to another human's parts, then all parts must be equally interchangeable, but in the case of brain, we hit the paradox.

If that paradox exists then it exists for all objects, and replacing parts of an object does not leave us with the same object.

This is just discussion and what I have deduced from the knowledge I have. I’m looking forward to learning what others think, and learning more.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 01/28/12 06:33 AM

What is the Job of Philosophy?
To engage in mindless Mindphlock,or to give a rational view of existence?

If philosophy has a purpose, then that purpose has evolved over the course of human existence.

About the time of Plato, Aristotle and the like, philisophy was science and its purpose was to create, through observation and cognition, various hypotheses and then to test them by whatever means were thougth to be adequit at the time.

Schools of philosophy were in essence schools of science.

Other transitions included questions arizing from the theological, among the the dualism of body and mind and then ethics, thus philosophy entered the relms of both mysticism and materialism.

Today, philosophy taken dualistic paths with the development of both the science and the continuation of the metaphysical.

The science side of philosophy employs strong ethics, and thus it serves the scientific path by questioning the use, methods, thought processes, and the results of scientific, technological, and medica advances.

On the metaphysical side, it still deals with qustions of dualism, spirituality, and its own ethics.

One think at issue in determining if philosophy is the same thing today as it was in the time Plato, we would have to ask the question, is it still recognizable by all people today in all its forms as philosophy?

I would say its not though not because that would be accurate rather, because not everyone has the same knowledge or information that leads to an understanding of philosophy throughout history.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 01/27/12 09:05 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Fri 01/27/12 09:06 PM
I don't remember which topic it was, but someone had brought up something that I think might serve the discussion better.

Instead of a ship or inanimate object, lets review the same OP topic using a human being.

If the brain of one human could be sucessfully transplanted into the body of another would the human who received the transplant still be the same human as before the transplant?

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 01/27/12 07:13 AM

Theism:the belief of "when in doubt,God did it."drinker

That is a major point that can help explain why some may think that conspiracy theorists tend to delude themselves and how it can become a psychological disorder.

We learn to process incoming information quickly by utilizing several tools in our mental toolbox. These become shortcuts that help us analyze and respond to our environment.

In effect we develop patterns in our thought process. Those patterns tend to build upon the past beliefs we have developed from previous cognition.

People who become extemists tend to allow the same prosessing paths to continue until it rules how they develope opinions, ideas, and ultimately their behavior.

This is why some poeple who develop extreme ways of thinking are thought to have a disorder. In such cases the disorder simply refers to the inability of a person to process inforamtion that does not equate to thier previously held opinions (beliefs).

Equating the unexplained with powers beyond our control or even our understanding is not in itself a disorder thus, attributing the unexplained to a god is not a disorder. However, disregarding information when it begins to infringe on previous beliefs can become a delusional disorder. The person must delude themselves in order to continue with their pattern of thought which supports their beliefs.

When such an individual continues to gain alies to their way of thinking, rather than to accept or even to consider other information, then that person is trying to delude others, also a way to support their own continued delusions.

That's why the quote "Theism:the belief of "when in doubt,God did it" is appropoe to the situation. When in doubt, when you can't explaine, and when you refuse to consider new information opposing the current opinion, god did it OR THEY did it.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 01/25/12 08:46 PM
Of the many thousands of peer review articles in hundreds of journals that I can search through my school library have no peer review aricles for Duesberg from 1997 forward.

I did find the following on the open web however,

http://www.nature.com/news/paper-denying-hiv-aids-link-secures-publication-1.9737

Paper denying HIV–AIDS link secures publication
Work by infamous AIDS contrarian passes peer review.
• Zoë Corbyn
05 January 2012

Peter Duesberg has for more than 20 years challenged the idea that HIV causes AIDS.

S. Ragan/AP

A controversial research paper that argued “there is as yet no proof that HIV causes AIDS" and met with a storm of protest when it was published in 2009, leading to its withdrawal, has been republished in a revised form, this time in the peer-reviewed literature.
The reworked version of the paper, led by Peter Duesberg of the University of California, Berkeley, who is well known for denying the link between HIV and AIDS, was published in the Italian Journal of Anatomy and Embryology (IJAE) last month1.

The manuscript was examined by two peer reviewers, one of them the journal's editor-in-chief, Paolo Romagnoli, an expert in cell anatomy at the University of Florence, Italy. But leading AIDS researchers and campaigners question how the paper could have passed peer review, and say that publishing it in a minor journal known to few does not give it scientific credibility or legitimacy.

"In my view this paper is scientific nonsense and should not have passed peer review. The thesis that HIV does not cause AIDS has no scientific credibility," says Nathan Geffen of the South Africa-based Treatment Action Campaign, who previously raised concerns about the article.

Romagnoli says he decided to review the revised paper because the original was withdrawn by Medical Hypotheses not for “flawed or falsified data” but for “highly controversial opinions” — which the IJAE's readers can make up their own minds about.

“Speculative conclusions are not a reason for rejection, provided they are correlated with the data presented,” he says.

Potentially damaging
The paper's initial publication in Medical Hypotheses caused a furore, with attention being drawn to the fact that the journal was not peer reviewed despite being listed in the MEDLINE citation database.

Related content
• AIDS researcher cleared of misconduct
• AIDS contrarian ignored warnings of scientific misconduct
• Editor says no to peer review for controversial journal
• More related content

Retrospective peer review later led to the paper's permanent withdrawal from Medical Hypotheses. The grounds stipulated in the withdrawal notice were concerns over the paper's quality and that it contained opinions about the causes of AIDS “that could potentially be damaging to global public health”2...

The article continues but the above was all I needed to confirm why I was unable to find Duesberg in the current peer review literature.

It's not all that uncommon to find conflicting views supported by conflicting research about new hypothesis or ideas. Since I do see that occuring, I have no reason to think Duesberg's research, or ideas would not be included if they passed the review process.

Fifteen years is a long time to go without publishing anything new through the peer review process. To suddenly have an article appear, in one of the least prestigious journals, only to find adverse action after publication, suggests that the good Dr. Duesberg has nothing new to offer and the old stuff has been proven invalid by more current research.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 01/25/12 07:31 PM

..glad they understood the question.

Cause I've not a clue what you're asking.

this is for samrt people which they can read between lines

you have to use your (muscles )sory mean mind to reach the meaning

I'm good at reading between the lines AND word jumbler!

dont forget Iam writing in deferent language of min, its not my mother language , and Iam at least traying

The ability to communicate in multiple languages takes a lot of work. The pay-off is much greater than most people realize.

Keep working on it Sam, you are far ahead of those who have only one language skill.

1 2 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 24 25