Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:13 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 07/18/11 07:14 PM

By virture of the term 'mono' ALL monotheistic religions are intolerable, sometimes even among those who claim the same label. How can they be otherwise?

The idea that any one is worse than another may only be a matter of what one has grown accustom to.

I agree. I will go further to argue that 'intolerable' is a fairly vague term devoid of any positive or negative absolute.

as humans we all have some things we cannot 'tolerate' , which makes us 'intolerant' to some things

the bible and our laws are examples of what a culture will not 'tolerate as well as what it will,,

Yes - WELL that and one other little thing. Each monotheistic religion has a singular god. When there is a singular god with very specific characteristics and attributes and a set of rules bestowed by the god, then we have the conditions of "my god is the one and only 'right' god.

Thus the claim "all monotheisitc religions are intolerable,they do not tolerate the god of any other religion.

I thought monotheistic merely designated the number of Gods,, not which God

that is to say, If I believe in GOD, and someone else believes in ALLAH,,, it is not impossible for me to consider they are one in the same

just as some call me by one name (my first) and others by my middle, yet they refer to the same individual...

Well Redy - you are wrong here. Monotheism by it's nature is not
intolerant of other religions. Jews and Muslims in particular
hold that righteous people will be recognized on their actions
alone regardless of their religion or observances. Many Christians
also would accept that good people would never be punished by
Jesus on the basis of their ignorance despite the active missionary
movement.

As I have said in other threads if there is only One God then it is
clearly the same God for everyone. So it would be rather silly for
such a God to discriminate based on whether someone observed Easter
or Ramadan or Yom Kippur.

laugh

Which gets to MsHarmonys comment. If there is only One God it is
logically the same God for everyone. But of course it makes no
difference what you call God - Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Yahweh or
Redd Foxx and it certainly makes no sense to attempt to describe
God in anthropomorphic terms. Although if you wish to picture him
as an Asian 3 month old girl then it is fine. And God doesn't care
whether you "believe" in One God or faeries either. God has made me
come to realize this all on my own - but I do not claim to be a
prophet.

laugh

drinker

The following are different Christian sects. They all claim to have the same god - yet they often point to each other and say "I'm right, you're wrong and you will not be saved".

If monotheism was merely the acceptance of a single godhead, then all monotheistic religions would be tolerant of each other. But monotheism tends to be accompanied by specific beliefs about that one god which seems totally contradict the theory that all monotheistic religions have only a single godhead.

No matter, one god or many, tolerance is not a built in feature of monothesim or every sect on the list would still be Catholic.

Catholic Church
Eastern Catholic Churches
Independent (self-identified as Catholic)
Orthodoxy
Protestantism
Lutheranism
Anglicanism
Reformed Churches
Presbyterianism
Congregationalist Churches
Anabaptists
Brethren
Methodists
Pietists and Holiness Churches
Baptists
Spiritual Baptists
Apostolic Churches – Irvingites
Pentecostalism
Charismatics
Neo-Charismatic Churches
Latter Day Saints
Oriental Orthodoxy
Assyrian Church
Oneness Pentecostalism
Unitarianism and Universalism
Swedenborgianism
Messianic Judaism
Jewish Christians
Esoteric Christianity

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 07/18/11 06:54 PM

By virture of the term 'mono' ALL monotheistic religions are intolerable, sometimes even among those who claim the same label. How can they be otherwise?

The idea that any one is worse than another may only be a matter of what one has grown accustom to.

I agree. I will go further to argue that 'intolerable' is a fairly vague term devoid of any positive or negative absolute.

as humans we all have some things we cannot 'tolerate' , which makes us 'intolerant' to some things

the bible and our laws are examples of what a culture will not 'tolerate as well as what it will,,

Yes - WELL that and one other little thing. Each monotheistic religion has a singular god. When there is a singular god with very specific characteristics and attributes and a set of rules bestowed by the god, then we have the conditions of "my god is the one and only 'right' god.

Thus the claim "all monotheisitc religions are intolerable,they do not tolerate the god of any other religion.

I thought monotheistic merely designated the number of Gods,, not which God

that is to say, If I believe in GOD, and someone else believes in ALLAH,,, it is not impossible for me to consider they are one in the same

just as some call me by one name (my first) and others by my middle, yet they refer to the same individual...

People certainly can assume that any single godhead is really the same godhead that every worships. The real problem is that every religion's godhead does not seem to agree with every other godhead.

Some people might say that individual interpretation and understanding is the problem, but rarely is that thought considered to be the fault of the person thinking it. laugh

Thus, again, we come to intolerance.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 07/18/11 06:27 PM

Is truth subjective

That is the beginning of the OP - how can it be subjective, objective or even independent is there if there is no such thing?

There is such a thing as truth, truth is correspondence; a matching up to the way things are. I was objecting to "a truth" being confused with truth.

So NOW let me ask you

Is a truth claim subjective?

Truth claims come through a thinking subject capable of complex thought/belief and language. I am making a distinction here between a truth claim and truth. "A" truth does not exist, unless we call a true claim "a truth" which is common use, but it is exactly what I'm rejecting. That treatment of truth causes confusion and is a case of mistaken identity. Truth is what makes the claim true. Calling a true claim "a truth" equates a true claim with that which makes it so.

I would error on the side of Yes until after it has passed some kind of standard (like a scientific study, which validates or falsifies the claim. At that point it may be validated or falsified but it cannot be truth because truth does not exist.

Here, we again see the differences between our uses. I would say that a verified claim cannot be truth because truth presupposition is what connects all claims to reality and truth is what connects true claims to reality. True claims correspond to fact/reality. Truth does not correspond, it is the correspondence itself.

It can however, be a building block for future truth claims. Is that right?

Truth is central to everything thought/believed and or known.

Thanks Creative for your responses. I think this is a difficult concept and I've read yours and Bushido's posts several times. I tend to stay away from the word truth because it always seems to cause issues with discussions. I think I can better understand why it does but I will be honest and tell you that I'm still not completely clear on the topic.

For example, in our English language, speaking "the truth" is stressed even to the point of holding a person responsible for speaking the truth or facing criminal charges.

We must accept a person'ts sworn statment that only truth will be spoken even though, in a court of law, speaking truth may only be considered 'circumstantial,' simply because what is spoken cannot be confirmed but that doesn't mean it was not truth to the individual.

What it would take to make the statement true, in the absense of 'hard evidence', is plausibility. If the person believes he/she is speaking truth, then the spoken view need only be believed an accurate depiction that is plausible.

I attempt to speak/write with truth, but the word truth is not a word I have ever been comfortable with using. If I'm understanding the concepts laid out in this thread, I think better understand why.

Am I learning yet???

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 11:57 PM

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 11:45 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sun 07/17/11 11:50 PM

Di:

Creative (or Wux) here are two questions that seem reasonable to me.

Can you respond to this post by giving me an example of a truth?

There is no such thing.

Can you explain why your example is true?

"There is no such thing(as a truth)" IFF there is no such thing as a truth.

That was my guess.

Here is my confusion:

Is Truth subjective

That is the beginning of the OP - how can it be subjective, objective or even independent is there if there is no such thing?

So NOW let me ask you

Is a truth claim subjective

I would error on the side of Yes until after it has passed some kind of standard (like a scientific study, which validates or falsifies the claim. At that point it may be validated or falsified but it cannot be truth because truth does not exist.

It can however, be a building block for future truth claims. Is that right?

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 11:17 PM

is not knowing of something the same as something not existing?

just asking

No not at all. There are Christians who believe Jesus exists and there are probably some people in the world have never heard of Jesus of the bible.

But a belief is not the same as something existing just as
non-knowledge of the same belief is not the same thing as something not existing.

Certainly the belief exists even if Jesus does not - but would the belief exist if there was no bible to embelish the belief whether Jesus had existed or not?

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 11:10 PM

Other kids. Example, my daughter told me this evening "Daddy, angels watch over me." I replied, "no they don't, who told you that?" Her cousin mentioned it the night before during a sleepover slaphead (my sister is fairly religious, not a fundamentalist like my aunt, luckily).

With no desire to tell her that her little cousin and my sister were crazy (I actually get along well with my sister, since she's not one to preach) and I hesitated ... I ended up just saying that sometimes people believe in silly things because they don't know how things really work.

laugh That made think of an incident with my own son. The two kids from down the stree were over playing with my son. They were home schooled and once I heard the kid arguing so I went upstairs to see what was going on.

My son said "they're telling me that its impossible for other life forms to exist in the universe" I just said "oh, why is that?"

The answer was something like: "There can only be humans becaue Jesus was a human." (obviously I was still lost but son wasn't, he said)

"mom that means that there can't be a race of Vulcans because they wouldn't have souls for Jesus to save"

And they began to argue again and through the course of the argument I got the jest of the theory. - ya gotta love home schooling -

Finally, and sternly, I told my son that Jennette and James were his friends and his guests and it was impolite to argue with them.

At that point the two kids got up and headed for the door. I said they didn't have to go because the subject wouldn't be discussed anymore. The girl (about 11 yrs old) turned around and looking fearful said

"no we really have to go and we won't be able to play with 'your son' anymore"

My son felt bad and that's one of the reasons he took an interest in and began researching all kinds of religions. He made me proud.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 10:51 PM

I should have been more specific in my inquiry. In the United States, the rise of atheism is happening, i believe there was data showing this in a certain year span. Although this might be anecdotal, I've read various stories of people deconverting after going to college and studying their religion and others. So, are you suggesting that there's a steady state for atheism and people are more so becoming spiritual with a secular adherence?

There have been quite a few studies which seem to indicate that higher education changes individual views, often by making one question or become more skeptical and discerning.

Statistically, as far as actual movement between belief systems or non-belief, in the U.S., there seems to be a greater number of proclaimed atheists than ever before, but it's a very tiny percentage.

In recent years the largest growing religion has been Muslim. It seems to have grown in a similar proportion to the deline in other monotheistic religions in that same time frame.

I think all the internal movement between monotheistic religions indicates a strong dissatisfaction with the current belief systems.

It might be likely that we will see a decline in monotheism and increases in other theistic beliefs and agnosticism. From there I think atheism will increase as it becomes a more acceptable option.

Of course if Yellowstone blows - all bets are off and if humans survive there will likely be a resurgence of all kinds of mystical beliefs.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 10:30 PM

I believe natural disasters will be so bad someday that humans will wish they would just die and get it over with.. like starvation from say a super volcanoe erupting and starvatuion is probally the worth death you could have and then watching your little ones go through it will be the toughest of all.. that maybe why people will want to end thier lives but won't because of thier children..it will be bad..IMO..Blessings..Miles

Thanks Miles, but can you expound a bit on why we are or would be subjected to these natural disasters?

Do you think it could be part of something we have done or didn't do that changed the environment?

OR perhaps you think that nothing we could ever do would make a difference because God hold reigns and will bring these natural disasters in his own good time?

Or maybe you have another opinion, I'd like to hear it.

Shalom Red

Part is from scripture and part from science.

Yellowstone is in the cycle to where it could explode at anytime.

several; years ago scientest put GPS devices throughout Yellowstone which was made by a super Volcano 640,000 years ago. The Gps data from space measures its distance to them.. they found out that Yellowstone had risen 4 ft is a few years.. indicating lava was pushing upwards.. it was so serious that they started mass evacuations of towns close and was even on local TV to get out through press specials. Washington then got a hold of it and made them retract thier statements aand they were right it did not has not yet happened.. also they found dead buffalo and wolves that looked like they just fell over dead.. autopsy's and testing the air showed a high concentration of carbonmonoxide gas present which a is what the silent killer was.. just like gas furnces in houses do to people every year.

This also is a sign that something is going on underneath Yellowstone whish its candra is 20 miles wide and 60 miles long..

Scientests have said thaat if it goes off like it did the ash it would spew would cover the whole state of Texas in 12 foot of ash.

Planes would fall from the sky and now they are saaying all of N America would be destroyed.

This fits up perfect with the usa and it would cause world wide hunger/starvation since we are the worlds bread basket.

Now scripture to this cause.

Rev 16:18-21
18 And there were noises and thunderings and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such a mighty and great earthquake as had not occurred since men were on the earth. 19 Now the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. And great Babylon was remembered before God, to give her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of His wrath. 20 Then every island fled away, and the mountains were not found. 21 And great hail from heaven fell upon men, each hailstone about the weight of a talent. Men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail, since that plague was exceedingly great.
NKJV

It very well may be the greatest earthquake ever and 100 pound hailstones/ lava rocck.. is very likely for 100's of miles away to fall from the sky..

Gen 1:1 - Rev 18:3

After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory. 2 And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying,"Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird! 3 For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury."
NKJV

We have done this. We have more prisons than anywhere in the world. It calls these foul spirits that we have locked up.

We have made the world rich.. money standards through the world is based off our dollar I Believe at least.

scientists say that if it goes off that Europe would see " the smoke of our/of her burning" they would wail the world would go into crisis that we have never seen before.

The kings who have been made rich would be scared to death as we can not protect them anymore.

also the 3rd Horseman I Believe has already rode or is still riding as our symbol for democrocy is Scales.

Rev 6:5-6
So I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. 6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, "A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine."
NKJV

Then after that is famine.. IMO babylon the great is destroyed by Yellowstone and thier will not be enough for the middle east and europe, russia to eat or spread around.. when food is scarce people will do anything to get it.. wars break out everywhere..

Rev 6:7-8

When He opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come and see." 8 So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.
NKJV

a 1/4 of the earth will fight for food.. Blessings of Shalom Red..Miles

Thanks for the reply Miles,

Yellowstone is quite problematic. Are you thinking that this is part of climate change? Do you think it's all tied in?

It's been suggested that if Yellowstone errupts much the U.S. will dissappear and much will be uninhabitable.

I wonder - if the great hole left by the emptying of the lava chamber might not create a new ocean which could help clense the land around it for future generations.

That might be a 'natural' way for some healing of the Earth for human existance, BUT there's no telling if humans would survive the kind of devastation such an erruption has been predicted to bring.

Interesting!

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 10:16 PM

I must concur a lot with what Spidercmb is saying. When the system is designed to encourage people to stay on welfare means that they whole system is the problem. "Poor Mentality" is what is the REAL problem in America, not "poor People," per say. They are taught by the system to stay poor.

REALLY? And who taught you NOT to be poor?

What kind of opportunities do you think the 'urban poor' have that are in any way comparable to rural families whose socioeconomic class is leaps above thier urban counterparts?

the idea of Welfare is to help and temporarily supplement people. Not subsidize their existence. I can't count the number of times I would see a news story about some Poverty Stricken family with a 65" TV in their living room with a PS 2 or 3 sitting their FAT azzes, and I mean it, most of the time these poor people are FAT, griping about loosing benefits. And they all seem to have some BS medical condition.

OK - here is your food budget for the month $100 and you have to buy any paper products you use out of that money. I hope you like hamburger helper and boxed mac and cheese because on that allowance you won't be able to afford much produce and meat - try hamhocks and greens are usually cheap (but not too bad with butter and salt or bacon drippings.

Reality buddy - if you havn't been there how would you know? I know and I haven't always been here - but I have stood on the edge most of my life.

Illness - lots of studies out there that prove that stress IS a major risk factor to many diseases.
Can you imagine growing up in the environemnt of the inner-city poor?

Can you even wrap you mind around a month of nights in a house with plastic coving some of the windows and shots heard nightly, and knowing that the meth house on your block is too close should it explode?

Asbestos and lead paint - did you know that if a landlord posts clear warnings of possible contamination in the contract and provides safety notices to the tenants that the landlord does not have to be concerned? I know that, because I currently live in such a place.

Now imagine living a life time n that kind of environment. You're right there are a lot ills do you still question why?

I have lived the landlord from hell a few times already and sued one of them. I have had a crack house and a meth house in the vicinity of where i lived. And dealing with household contamination a land lord would not deal with properly? See above. Likewise I have lived so badly stressed recently that I have to take Tagamet to help deal with Acid Reflux and I had to fund all the medical myself! I PAYED OUT OF POCKET FOR ALL OF IT SO FAR! I also am having to force myself to eat because stress is eating me alive. I was stressing balls when the government hit us with Affirmative Action and I could not find a job to save my life. I had just lost the job I had to layoffs and anything out there had to fill a racial quota so instead of going hungry I scrambled for work of damn near any kind under the table and got dragged into construction.

So you want to talk about living a nightmare? My aren't we judgmental ourselves tonight! I grew up in poverty being used as a Ritalin experiment. So you want to talk reality here?

First of all if so many of these people are poor why is it they have Big Screen TVs, leather couches, Play Stations, and are obese? Because they have money to spend evidently. That and they are too well fed. Just like a bunch of fat LAZY swine!

You over generalize. THINK a little more logically. Think about the situation I just outlined for you. How long do you think those kind of belongings would last in someone's home?

Not saying it doesn't happen - someone make money off the the sale of drugs, but you see the few and feel cheated. Would still feel cheated if you had grown up in that environemnt and did not own a big screen TV?

I grew up on a second hand existence and watched a black and white TV all the way to 1974 and the color TV that replaced it when I was ten was a hand me down from some friends who cot a newer color TV. I generalize? I have seen real poverty. A lot of what the media pushes in our faces as the poor are not really the poor.

I feel... cheated? No, I feel ripped off and lied too! We are run by hypocrites and many of the poor out there are taught by the system to work the system to get their income from the system. Far too many people have gone on Unemployment and rode it to the end because they felt they needed and extended vacation. My father was just like that. On top of that I have witnessed sop many others doing it and citing that reason why. "I do it because I can." In some of the worst neighborhoods out here I can find high end BMWs, Benzes, Land Rovers. Fools be busting lots of bling. Hoes be fronting one another over who spends more on their doo and their nails. And oh how so many of them are brand whores! Yes, so many of these people are really poor! When I was growing up we DID use cable spools for tables. I built many a model on one. I grew up being the ultimate recycler. So again you want to compare MY life experiences?

On top of that Welfare has been proven to inflame alcohol and drug abuse.

Stick you head in a bucket of ice water and shake out some of the hate you have inside it. Now look at drug and alcohol use from the perspective of growing up in a generationally poor family in the inner-city. I don't think welfare adds to drug and alcohol abuse, it's already being abused, remember, crack houses, meth labs, people living under stressful conditions every day of their life.

NOW to apply all this to the OP; defunding planned parenthood.

Someone (may have been you) suggested that the problem is education. Yes it is but there must be an all out push in this country to end that and we are nowhere near that kind of push. Even if we were and a plan was laid out - it would be a few generations before there was evident progress. It's not happening because of the kind of thinking that you have in the post I am addressing.

(I really believe you are smarter than that and I hope the problem is just a lack of real knowledge and personal experience.)

At any rate, planned parenthood has been a step in the right direction. We are sexual beings - and that must be obvious to anyone who can understand that our sex drive is the way we assure that there will be more humans.

Planned parenthood does not judge, they do not decide who gets welfare. They help individuals find alternative means of medical advice when they can't afford to pay full price. PP saves lives and they help to make life better for families who might otherwise end up on welfare should they bring another baby into thier life.

We have no right to try and judge the circumstances of every person's PP visit nor do we have a right to judge the decision of a woman in her own health care.

I consider abortion a healthcare issue for a woman becasue only that woman knows the reasons behind her dicission to choose abortion.

Privacy laws being what they are in this country, abortions should ALWAYS be only an anonymous statistic unless the individual chooses to share her decision with others. Having shared that information should never make it self-incrimination of a crime. It is a hearlth care issue.

I am not comparing Planned Parenthood to drug addiction. I actually support the presence of Planned Parenthood so you need to wake up.

My Mom's BF after she divorced my father wound up becoming a paid councilor for NA and AA. My later HS years thanks to my looser father screwing me out of every opportunity to advance myself possible I got sucked into life on the street. I knew and know many addicts and alcoholics. I have seen both ends of the spectrum of their life and what it takes to get someone to recover and recovery begin with them actually taking responsibility for themselves. Sympathy only makes addiction worst. Planned Parenthood prevents women from giving birth to drug addled and genetically flawed children thanks to their addiction. DO NOT EXPECT ME TO SHOW ANY SYMPATHY FOR ANY ALCOHOLIC OR DRUG ADDICT! I have no sympathy as does anyone who knows anything about the problem. There is at least one member here I can think of but not by name who did do what she needed to recover herself and did and the whole thing is she admits what she faces! That is a person I can respect but I am not about to sympathize at all over.

Several surveys over the years including a couple of Liberal groups looked into the world of the hard core welfare addict and found out they had no intent or desire to redeem themselves. All they wanted was their check, and their next fix. the actual lifestyle is different for crack, meth, and smack but the behaviors are the same.

Addicts will ALWAYS look for a free ride and ride it as long as they can until they have to find a new way of getting what they want. that is why the reception of benefits should come with a drug test including Planned parenthood so some of these addicts can be identified and dealt with appropriately. Even if they do perform the abortion they got to make the process as pressurized as they can to get people to straighten up. it isn't about God or Jesus or revivals. it is about getting people to either pull their heads out of their azzes or letting them flounder until they kill themselves.

My step brother died from Meth. I think Meth contributed to another friend of mine recently too. I don't HATE the addict. I hate the addiction. Meth DOES have medicinal uses under strict controls. I can't hate the drug itself. But I can hate the bathtub brewers!

And this is how to deal with them!

Toasty!

drinker

pitchfork

For someone who claims to have been there, there is not much empathy what-so-ever, not even understanding. That tells me that you think EVERYONE can rise above their poverty to any status they work hard enough for.

Some poeple harbor a lot a rage and hate and unfortunately they aim it toward those who had nothing to do with the cause the negative feelings being harbored. This appears no less a form of fundamentalism than what is often assigned to some religious groups.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 10:06 PM

so the government would issue bi monthly paychecks?

or they would issue bi monthly 'welfare' checks based off of employers paychecks?

The Government wouldn't issue the pay check, that would be your employer's job. They would file your income information once to twice a month. The first interval that your employer didn't file the paperwork, you would be issued a Reverse Income Tax check.

It wouldn't be called "welfare", it would apply to all citizens. The paperwork, red tape and hoops would be removed.

In the Fair Tax, everyone would get a check once a month, regardless of if they had a job or not. Those taxpayers who paid taxes would pay a bit more to cover the checks being sent every month. You can read about it online, it's a very interesting idea.

Now that sounds like a real move toward socialism. With food shortages and prices expected to drive the economy, we may even be issuing 'government store' vouchers in lieu of pay.
:tongue:

The current system is very socialist, redundant and unmanageable. The new system would eliminate the redundancy and make the system manageable while reducing the socialism of the system. Since the systems I've mentioned wouldn't require a huge bureaucracy and the money would be there for every citizen, I think it's an acceptable solution.

So explain to me why you think that 69 agencies, which don't communicate to one another and employ 75,000 employees is preferable to one agency with a very small number of employees.

laugh laugh - Ricky Recardo you are not - so no 'splainin for you. laugh

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 10:03 PM

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 09:55 PM

It's idiots like this that shouldn't be allowed to own a weapon. I guarantee I have NEVER and would never pull or show off a weapon when I carry one. Hell, I don't even like people knowing I am carrying and never even talk about it or brag or show off.

AND you never point a weapon at someone unless you are in fear for your safety or the safety of someone else. I don't care if it's loaded, unloaded, safety off, strapped, cemented or what.

So how should we determine who's an idiot? Have you ever lived in a very large city or worked in a position which brought you into daily contact with the public at large?

I don't know what your theory might be, but I don't think half the poeple I meet would qualify beyond 'idiot' for the right to carry a weapon (of any kind).

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 09:44 PM

The housing bubble had regulations, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of loans that actually followed the regulations were not the ones that initially defaulted causing the collapse. Now, it's been a while since I looked at the numbers, so they may have changed in the past couple years. But the collapse itself did not begin from loans following the regs. Greed and the quick profit regardless of the consequences... no accountability. That was the problem.

Some loan officers, and many if not most mortgage brokers, knowingly offered unqualified citizens a mortgage that they would never be able to afford. So, because they recognized this very high probability for default, they began selling those bad loans to hedge fund managers who again sold the bad loans on the market. All the while making money hand over fist. The loans went into default... as expected, the shareholders went belly up, the undisciplined banks went belly up, and the merchants walked away with incredible profits and no accountability.

That was the problem. There was no vested interest in the success of the loans to begin with by those who were setting them up.

Very true ... and irresponsible.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to invest the $800+Billion in bailout dollars in the families ... how would things look different if instead of bailing out Freddie and Fanny ... they bailed out the families.

Families would still be in their homes ... Freddie and Fannie would have stayed in business because people would have been able to pay their mortgages...

Call me simplistic ... but it makes sense to me ...

The bail out has been a lie and a fraud. The bail out should not have been necessary and the money should have gone to the people through the FDIC when the banks failed.

When the banks failed their assets, the mortagaes, should have been sold, at a discount, to those banks that DID NOT FAIL. During the interrim payments that were missed by property owners should have been forgiven until such time as the new mortgage terms were worked out.

Those who were in charge of the failed banks should have been held legally responsible for breaches in federal regulations, misconduct, and properly tried and made to pay restitution if found guilty of the charges brought against them.

We, as citizens, are not allowed to use ignorance of the law as a defense, nor should the elite who ran the failed organizations be allowed to say "but everyone else was doing it"....

If the chain of misconduct created a path to the Federal Reserve, or to any member of a state or our Federal Government, the individuals involved should likewise have been charged and tried.

Certainly the FDIC funding would not have been sufficient to cover all the losses, but isn't that the reason for selling the banks assets? Isn't that the reason for trying those responsible and demanding restitution in cases of guilt.

If that had occurred, many smaller and sound financial organizations would have increased - and would require new employees (those who might have lost their jobs from the failed orgs perhaps).

More people would have suffered far less financial loss and those in retirement might have been able to stay in retirment. Losses of pensions/401k s/IRA s, etc would not have some sort of reimbursement and retirement for many would still be secured. More homeowners would have had the second chance they needed.

More jobs would have been saved, and with more money at their disposal, some people may have taken avantage of the situtuation by starting their own small busniness, adding more job opportunities.

So why where the financial institutuions not allowed to fail?
Why is the pathway of these failures dimmed by a mass bailout? And why have we been told it was to save the economy?

With a cool head I have to wonder - are the American people not part of its own 'economy'?

The government has told the media and the media regurgitates without fail the story that the 'recession' ended two years ago, and the bail out worked.

But who did it work for, who is 'the economy'?

Who has been charged with misconduct, who has been brought to trial? What restitution has been received and by whom?

If the financial institutuions are currently profitiable BECAUSE of the bail out - why are THEY not RESPONSIBLE for paying that debt back?

Why are is the workforce present & future, being strapped with this debt, with no reason why?

Who is 'the economy'? Who is the workforce?

What is nationalism and when did it cease to be a blanket we shared with capitalism? Did we ever share the same blanket, the same ideals as a people, as a nation?

A lot of questions that we have to ask but we can't know ourself without reflection and who we are must be part of a society of people greater than the individual that we would hail as being free.

Freedom requires labor, equality, opportunity, responsibility of action, and respect for human rights. Unless we seek these things for all people, we are not free we are capitalists who are individuals feeding off the apathy, of the divided unions of the world.

- Why are we at war? - lots of questions that demand a lot of time, a lot of research, and for some - a lot of learning.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/829/112/A_Brief_History_of_the_Obama_National_Debt.html

Did you have a point to make - I really don't want to guess.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 09:43 PM

does your boss require absolute proof were you are spending your paycheck? do you require absolute proof where the grocery store is spending the money you spend there? why is where the government spends money any of your business? i mean, everyone else lies about what they are spending money on, but your only mad at the government?
and with all the spending the government does, just how big would this list be? face it, the government doesn't owe us any explanations on things that are none of our business... do you think they should tell us they are spending money on top secret projects?

Your paycheck is your money, not your employers. Taxes are the individuals money taken to support the society. The citizens should have the right to know, as members of the society, how their tax money is being spent. Sunshine laws were enacted to give us greater access to government meetings. We need transparency laws that will require budgetary transparency. I don't expect that military and intelligence community spending could be entirely transparent, but the rest of the Government should be.

thats why there is a voting system, so you can vote for people to spend the money more closely to how you want... but no 1 person can say what the government is spending money on, that is just impossible...

Yeah and the voting system is a joke too. Our votes mean about as much a piece of fluff on a suit, that is to say, not very much.

And it's no more impossible than to ask us to try and understand a "law" the size of a damn dictionary. You wanna talk impossible? That would about be it.

quit voting for lawyers then....

I don't vote anymore, I think it's meaningless quite frankly. The whole thing is rigged, and we're all the losers.

then your a big part of the problem your crying about here... if nobody voted, the government can do what it wants...

Actually if no one voted, their system of control would collapse. Or better yet, if people stopped voting for either party, and voted Independent instead. The whole two party system is how they have gained all this power, making it seem like that's the only choice (which is really two sides of the same coin), when it's not.

It's much like if everyone stopped paying taxes. They need us a lot more than we need them.

i would say your very wrong there... if nobody was voting, they could establish any law they wanted, get anyone in office they wanted, and do anything they wanted because the votes against it would not be there.. think about it...

It's not about voting, it's about making our representitives responsible to the people. That means WE must take some kind of action to assure that we are being represented according to our needs.

We don't do that by voting, we do that by making our demands known through our voices and our presence.

When you vote for any office - how many poeple are on the ballod? Who put them there? So does it matter who wins? What matters?

What matters is what we do AFTER those who win have taken office.

Do you know there is a whole department in the Federal Govenenment devoted to ETHICS?

Do you know when the last time was that this department filed a grievance agains anyone? Do you know the budget for this department?

Speaking of education - how much do you think the average high school senior knows about the governenace of their state and of their nation? How much do you know?

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 09:28 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sun 07/17/11 09:32 PM

The housing bubble had regulations, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of loans that actually followed the regulations were not the ones that initially defaulted causing the collapse. Now, it's been a while since I looked at the numbers, so they may have changed in the past couple years. But the collapse itself did not begin from loans following the regs. Greed and the quick profit regardless of the consequences... no accountability. That was the problem.

Some loan officers, and many if not most mortgage brokers, knowingly offered unqualified citizens a mortgage that they would never be able to afford. So, because they recognized this very high probability for default, they began selling those bad loans to hedge fund managers who again sold the bad loans on the market. All the while making money hand over fist. The loans went into default... as expected, the shareholders went belly up, the undisciplined banks went belly up, and the merchants walked away with incredible profits and no accountability.

That was the problem. There was no vested interest in the success of the loans to begin with by those who were setting them up.

Very true ... and irresponsible.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to invest the $800+Billion in bailout dollars in the families ... how would things look different if instead of bailing out Freddie and Fanny ... they bailed out the families.

Families would still be in their homes ... Freddie and Fannie would have stayed in business because people would have been able to pay their mortgages...

Call me simplistic ... but it makes sense to me ...

The bail out has been a lie and a fraud. The bail out should not have been necessary and the money should have gone to the people through the FDIC when the banks failed.

When the banks failed their assets, the mortagaes, should have been sold, at a discount, to those banks that DID NOT FAIL. During the interrim payments that were missed by property owners should have been forgiven until such time as the new mortgage terms were worked out.

Those who were in charge of the failed banks should have been held legally responsible for breaches in federal regulations, misconduct, and properly tried and made to pay restitution if found guilty of the charges brought against them.

We, as citizens, are not allowed to use ignorance of the law as a defense, nor should the elite who ran the failed organizations be allowed to say "but everyone else was doing it"....

If the chain of misconduct created a path to the Federal Reserve, or to any member of a state or our Federal Government, the individuals involved should likewise have been charged and tried.

Certainly the FDIC funding would not have been sufficient to cover all the losses, but isn't that the reason for selling the banks assets? Isn't that the reason for trying those responsible and demanding restitution in cases of guilt.

If that had occurred, many smaller and sound financial organizations would have increased - and would require new employees (those who might have lost their jobs from the failed orgs perhaps).

More people would have suffered far less financial loss and those in retirement might have been able to stay in retirment. Losses of pensions/401k s/IRA s, etc would not have some sort of reimbursement and retirement for many would still be secured. More homeowners would have had the second chance they needed.

More jobs would have been saved, and with more money at their disposal, some people may have taken avantage of the situtuation by starting their own small busniness, adding more job opportunities.

So why where the financial institutuions not allowed to fail?
Why is the pathway of these failures dimmed by a mass bailout? And why have we been told it was to save the economy?

With a cool head I have to wonder - are the American people not part of its own 'economy'?

The government has told the media and the media regurgitates without fail the story that the 'recession' ended two years ago, and the bail out worked.

But who did it work for, who is 'the economy'?

Who has been charged with misconduct, who has been brought to trial? What restitution has been received and by whom?

If the financial institutuions are currently profitiable BECAUSE of the bail out - why are THEY not RESPONSIBLE for paying that debt back?

Why are is the workforce present & future, being strapped with this debt, with no reason why?

Who is 'the economy'? Who is the workforce?

What is nationalism and when did it cease to be a blanket we shared with capitalism? Did we ever share the same blanket, the same ideals as a people, as a nation?

A lot of questions that we have to ask but we can't know ourself without reflection and who we are must be part of a society of people greater than the individual that we would hail as being free.

Freedom requires labor, equality, opportunity, responsibility of action, and respect for human rights. Unless we seek these things for all people, we are not free we are capitalists who are individuals feeding off the apathy, of the divided unions of the world.

- Why are we at war? - lots of questions that demand a lot of time, a lot of research, and for some - a lot of learning.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 08:42 PM

creativesoul said...

You bring up one to one barter as if it accurately describes today's economic and employment models.

No, I did not. You made the clearly false statement "Without society "trade" cannot happen." and I responded to it. I did not claim that barter "accurately describes today's economic and employment models." That's a flat out lie and if you actually thought I said that, then you are a complete moron.

creativesoul said...

All the while calling other people ignorant.

Yes, very.

creativesoul said...

You call sweatshops moral because it is better than nothing or the little they had before? Since when do we measure what is morally acceptable regarding fair wages and working conditions/lifestyle conditions by comparing it to nothing? Do we measure everyone's lifestyle conditions by comparison to nothing or very little and then call it the moral thing to do?

It's called a moral hierarchy. The choices are A) Let them work in sweatshops and earn a decent (for their country) wage or B) Force them to work as prostitutes or long hours in the sun working a field with primitive tools and/or gathering firewood for cooking and sale and still get less than they would get in a sweatshop, but while being in a far more dangerous line of work. Building a candy river, a field of lolly pops and clouds made out of cotton candy for them just isn't possible. We have to deal with the real world. Look at Taiwan, which had sweatshops years ago. As their economy grew (because of the taxes and economic activity of their sweatshop working citizens), sweatshops became less and less common. Eventually, it was no longer economically feasible to run sweatshops in Taiwan, so they moved to other countries. Taiwan now has the 19th largest GDP in the world. But you want to shut them down, subjecting the employees to greater hardships, just so that you can hold on to a smug sense of moral superiority. It's disgusting that you hold your self-satisfaction in so much higher esteem than those who you would condemn to suffer.

http://open.jorum.ac.uk/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/719/Items/DD205_2_section11.html
Today's affluent Asian economies such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore all started out this way, by exploiting their low-cost resource base, and, as we can see from Figure 9, their growth rates since the 1960s over a 30-year period have been impressive. Compared with other less developed parts of the globe, export-led growth has been a huge boon to the workforce of these Asian countries.

creativesoul said...

How does that work when we compare wealthy people's lifestyle? I mean, half of what they accumulate without taxes is better than nothing... right?

You are comparing apples to oranges. whoa

In the sweatshops, the workers are getting paid the amount to which they agreed upon hiring. In the case of the wealthy, they are earning the amount that their work is worth, but then the Government is taking 50%. How you can equate the two is beyond reason.

noway

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 07:13 PM

so the government would issue bi monthly paychecks?

or they would issue bi monthly 'welfare' checks based off of employers paychecks?

The Government wouldn't issue the pay check, that would be your employer's job. They would file your income information once to twice a month. The first interval that your employer didn't file the paperwork, you would be issued a Reverse Income Tax check.

It wouldn't be called "welfare", it would apply to all citizens. The paperwork, red tape and hoops would be removed.

In the Fair Tax, everyone would get a check once a month, regardless of if they had a job or not. Those taxpayers who paid taxes would pay a bit more to cover the checks being sent every month. You can read about it online, it's a very interesting idea.

Now that sounds like a real move toward socialism. With food shortages and prices expected to drive the economy, we may even be issuing 'government store' vouchers in lieu of pay.
:tongue:

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 06:57 PM

I must concur a lot with what Spidercmb is saying. When the system is designed to encourage people to stay on welfare means that they whole system is the problem. "Poor Mentality" is what is the REAL problem in America, not "poor People," per say. They are taught by the system to stay poor.

REALLY? And who taught you NOT to be poor?

What kind of opportunities do you think the 'urban poor' have that are in any way comparable to rural families whose socioeconomic class is leaps above thier urban counterparts?

the idea of Welfare is to help and temporarily supplement people. Not subsidize their existence. I can't count the number of times I would see a news story about some Poverty Stricken family with a 65" TV in their living room with a PS 2 or 3 sitting their FAT azzes, and I mean it, most of the time these poor people are FAT, griping about loosing benefits. And they all seem to have some BS medical condition.

OK - here is your food budget for the month $100 and you have to buy any paper products you use out of that money. I hope you like hamburger helper and boxed mac and cheese because on that allowance you won't be able to afford much produce and meat - try hamhocks and greens are usually cheap (but not too bad with butter and salt or bacon drippings.

Reality buddy - if you havn't been there how would you know? I know and I haven't always been here - but I have stood on the edge most of my life.

Illness - lots of studies out there that prove that stress IS a major risk factor to many diseases.
Can you imagine growing up in the environemnt of the inner-city poor?

Can you even wrap you mind around a month of nights in a house with plastic coving some of the windows and shots heard nightly, and knowing that the meth house on your block is too close should it explode?

Asbestos and lead paint - did you know that if a landlord posts clear warnings of possible contamination in the contract and provides safety notices to the tenants that the landlord does not have to be concerned? I know that, because I currently live in such a place.

Now imagine living a life time n that kind of environment. You're right there are a lot ills do you still question why?

First of all if so many of these people are poor why is it they have Big Screen TVs, leather couches, Play Stations, and are obese? Because they have money to spend evidently. That and they are too well fed. Just like a bunch of fat LAZY swine!

You over generalize. THINK a little more logically. Think about the situation I just outlined for you. How long do you think those kind of belongings would last in someone's home?

Not saying it doesn't happen - someone make money off the the sale of drugs, but you see the few and feel cheated. Would still feel cheated if you had grown up in that environemnt and did not own a big screen TV?

On top of that Welfare has been proven to inflame alcohol and drug abuse.

Stick you head in a bucket of ice water and shake out some of the hate you have inside it. Now look at drug and alcohol use from the perspective of growing up in a generationally poor family in the inner-city. I don't think welfare adds to drug and alcohol abuse, it's already being abused, remember, crack houses, meth labs, people living under stressful conditions every day of their life.

NOW to apply all this to the OP; defunding planned parenthood.

Someone (may have been you) suggested that the problem is education. Yes it is but there must be an all out push in this country to end that and we are nowhere near that kind of push. Even if we were and a plan was laid out - it would be a few generations before there was evident progress. It's not happening because of the kind of thinking that you have in the post I am addressing.

(I really believe you are smarter than that and I hope the problem is just a lack of real knowledge and personal experience.)

At any rate, planned parenthood has been a step in the right direction. We are sexual beings - and that must be obvious to anyone who can understand that our sex drive is the way we assure that there will be more humans.

Planned parenthood does not judge, they do not decide who gets welfare. They help individuals find alternative means of medical advice when they can't afford to pay full price. PP saves lives and they help to make life better for families who might otherwise end up on welfare should they bring another baby into thier life.

We have no right to try and judge the circumstances of every person's PP visit nor do we have a right to judge the decision of a woman in her own health care.

I consider abortion a healthcare issue for a woman becasue only that woman knows the reasons behind her dicission to choose abortion.

Privacy laws being what they are in this country, abortions should ALWAYS be only an anonymous statistic unless the individual chooses to share her decision with others. Having shared that information should never make it self-incrimination of a crime. It is a hearlth care issue.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/17/11 06:15 PM

reading your OWN link,,the outlays are broken down on page 12

Whoa there! You brought up Health and Human Services, I didn't. I was talking about Welfare, which is composed of 69 different programs on both the Federal and State levels, which aren't all under the same department. You aren't going to find a single budget document for all of those programs.

That was the point of my first link, it pointed out that there are 69 programs and no clear budget that people can look at and talk about.

this is all true

but when the statement is made that 'welfare pays better than work'

it can mislead others into believing welfare(Tanf) recipients receive a better income than working people which is just not true on any level,,,

Im just trying to clear that up for people who may have made such an assumption from your information,,,

there are foster care programs which pay 2000 a month per child
there is child tax credit which pays 1000 per child

there are many incentives going on for people besides the poor and I dont wish the poor to become scapegoats for the financial ills we face nationally,,,,they are a minute part of the problem

HEY SPIDER - Whoa there, yourself what happened to your superior attitudet that claimed -

I'm done talking to you about this, it's pathological, your need to deny the truth in front of your eyes.

laugh

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next