Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 10/05/11 07:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvJmgdjyzY
Dylan Ratigan - Political Panic - It's beginning to fall apart!

Whoa, the man is passionate and I like what he has to say. What do you all think?

The congress ain't the only branch of government that is bought.

Guess what group has raised the most money for Obamas re election?

Securities and Investments..

What a surprise..

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/bundlers.php?id=N00009638

Well Obama hasn't stood up yet against Congress or even Corporate interests and unless he does, he's just as guilty as any of them. So have at it, I'm all for giving them ALL the boot (as in fired without benefits AND NO CHANCE FOR RE-ELECTION).

The biggest problem would be -- how to get rid of the damn laws that keep Corporate interests from buying future elections??? Any suggestions?

Aye... put the balance of the original intent of congress back into our election system.

Congress is the House of the People.

However the Senate was originally supposed to represent the 'landholders' interests... i.e in this day and age this would be 'Corporate' america...

It BALANCES the three legged chair.

Yet at some point in the past the current government (at the time) made Senators stand for general election just as a Congressional
Represenative must.

Perhaps we should change that back.

Thanks, I didn't realize all that. I think corporate interest should be protected so I'm not against political agents working toward that end. However, that interst should never be at the expense of the people (the 99%) whom the corporations serve. In other words, if a corporation harms people (human rights/ethical) or the environment/echo system we depend on for survival and health, that SHOULD NOT be protected. Do you agree?

I also think that if corporations are to be considered/counted within any part of our judicial system as an entity equal to an individual then those individuals cannot have laws attributed to them that cannot be equtably attributed to all other individuals. (think taxes, financial regulations, social & civil responsibility). What do you think?

Additionally, I think our legislative processes, at all levels, need to consistantly guard against what has caused our current state of imbalance. Specifically, by allowing an unequitble balance of power to the wealthy. When money is allowed to override the voice of the 99%, the multiple pathways that are suppose to be open to that majority are shut down.

At that point the only options that seem to remain are demonstrations in mass (Occupy Wall Street). I would like to see it remain a peaceful option, but at this juncture we have passed the patience point of taking the time to find a single leader from the ranks who can bring together the masses with the perfect ideal. The problems are many and putting together a list grievences at this point tends to be haphazard and inconsistent.

It is a work in progress but can only progress in the 'light' of day where people can be seen and the masses can respond.

Now it's up to those with the power of law to take notice, questions, and act. If they don't accomplish....

What do you think?

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:59 PM

I believe my chair will be able to continue to withstand my weight. This belief is based on faith, I do not come in each morning and test the chair to make sure it can continue to bear my weight. I know that it is possible for it to fail, and yet I continue to trust that it will. I have absolutely no data to back up my belief, and just becuase it has stood up previously does not mean it will continue to withstand it, which makes this belief a faith based belief. Even if I never considered this, the act of sitting confirms my belief. I would never sit on something I did not believe would hold my weight . .. bad back and all its contra to my survival.

Why do I believe this, why do I place my trust in this, why is it faith?

Because it is practical to do so and that is why most of the things we believe are held to be true and many times on nothing than faith.

Each morning my faith in my chair is reinforced as I sit down and do not fall to the ground under a chair that has failed to carry my weight. Is it reasonable, yes, is it rational, yes, is it faith, yes.

Faith does not have to be irrational, it can be reasonable. If someone was to tell me that this model of chair has been known to fail after a certain time, or under certain weight conditions which I exceed, and has documentation to show me this, and then this data removes my faith in the chair that would be rational as well. THAT is where I feel the distinction with religion comes in, that when tested against reality and shown to lack substance, or to even be against the laws of physics, or for rules to be contradictory ect, the religious step over the rational/reasonable threshold into an area of unreasonable faith, irrational faith.

So like I said, I feel like myself and creative are just breaking down these concepts into smaller pieces, and I know we both feel that we gain a clearer picture because of this reduction, becuase of this granular approach. This is not about being right or wrong, its about seeing more clearly, being able to make sense of the components of a moving system. A black and white static approach can never capture the details of a moving system with so many parts.

It makes me think of the project I am helping test right now, we are working on cardiology software . . . a single picture does no good neither does a thousand still pictures, you need to see the heart beating and interacting with the rest of the chest cavity to get a clear picture of function.

WOW - Great post! Good luck with the latest project.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:46 PM

You may be right...but, if we do nothing...nothing will happen! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I could just kiss you - (like a daughter). You keep on going, it's your future you're fighing for because (it seems) those of my generation lost control of it all along the way.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:41 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Tue 10/04/11 08:42 PM

Whoa, the man is passionate and I like what he has to say. What do you all think?

The congress ain't the only branch of government that is bought.

Guess what group has raised the most money for Obamas re election?

Securities and Investments..

What a surprise..

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/bundlers.php?id=N00009638

Well Obama hasn't stood up yet against Congress or even Corporate interests and unless he does, he's just as guilty as any of them. So have at it, I'm all for giving them ALL the boot (as in fired without benefits AND NO CHANCE FOR RE-ELECTION).

The biggest problem would be -- how to get rid of the damn laws that keep Corporate interests from buying future elections??? Any suggestions?

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:31 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Tue 10/04/11 08:34 PM

You can always check out "Occupy (your city)" on google or Facebook & get involved locally. I hope you do! Look what peaceful protests did for the equal rights movement in the 60's. Without them, change may NEVER have happened. Segregation could have still been in place!

the movements that occured in the 60's were movements necessary for the health of our country in the future... The only person I know personally that makes 250 Thousand or better WORKS 16 hours a day or more (so now you want to STEAL his work).

How dare you compare this political stunt with those movements.

How dare those people that organized these things compare themselves and their 'agenda' to ANY right action...

Like the Arab Spring, (to remove a repressive regime(s))... A RIGHT action.

We are the US OF A...

You got a problem with the governemt? VOTE to change it.

Or open an office and RUN FOR Congress to change it.

But don't blow no sunshine up my dark places to further a political agenda.

Adventure - who puts the people in front of your face and tells you "THESE ARE THE CADIDATES"? MM?

Our vote means nothing except that some mega company provided the funding for the best campaign and marketing propaganda. Of course that's the plan. All those who voted for the person will support the Bull's hit that the mega corporation is has just paid to have their puppet enact.

The truth is, Adventure, that if a good portion, say 1/4th of the 99%, decided to promote several blackhorse (virtually unknown) candidates, they would still loose because the media is bought, the "corporate" candidates are bought, the best marketing firms are paid off, and people will believe propaganda and hype when they are exposed to in mega doses. Unfortunately those little lame black-horse candidates will seem like a minimal blurb on a radar or can be made to look like the world's biggest crooks.

Do you not know that's what we are all up against.

Money is the power behind our governance not the people - that needs to change.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 08:09 PM

Wow, no wonder we're in this massive political, financial mess. In case you haven't noticed, ignorance is not creating bliss in America!frustrated

Got that right.

Be careful in Washington, I'd go if I could but I've got a ton of money invested in my education (and no money in savings)and I will have to pay interest on those school loans,(which I'm happy to do) but every loan I've taken during this recession is at a highter interest rate than the rest of the country is now paying for cars and homes, and boats(and on top of that the interest rate for school loans actually increased not long ago. Can't figure how they get away with it.

BUT, without jobs being available, all those loans will be a long time being paid back - I wonder if the government can afford that? Of course sometime in the next 10 years the govnmnt will say we are all a bunch of dead beats for not paying our loans, discontinue the help for future generations, and blame that all on the graduates who graduated with nowhere to go except to jobs that pay less than a living wage.

Be careful in the streets Luna.

I'm glad that someone can go

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 07:50 PM

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 10/04/11 07:47 PM

Just got home fr www.occupyseattle.org after 5 hours of protesting! GREAT group of diverse folks downtown today! I am glad I went! I met a lot of cool people!

I watch the streaming videos from here. Indiana has several events planned in the next several days. I'll be in Indianapolis on Saturday but I had to laugh when I read the RULES - OMG! Yes peaceful, I'm all for it, but no more than 5 in a group on a sidewalk and never taking up more half of that walkway???

I'm thinking - What is this a 'stroll' on a lazy fall day. NO PICTURES - because a precident has been set and the police are quick to confiscate (legally) any camera, phone or other technology that can 'record' the goings on (cos it might contain evidence of a crime). Yep - just another reason we need to be heard. But being heard does not necessarily bring change, does it?

Thanks for being there today, LunaLady, and representing so many,

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 10/02/11 09:55 PM

Well, hopefully the protestors can overwhelm the police peacefully by sheer press of numbers alone eventually!

F the speculators. F the global exchange. and F the WORLD BANK!

Indeed.

I would hope that this thread finds all the 99% of Mingle in agreement with this movment. In this we are all united without regard to political labels, race, sex, ethnicity, age, or any other label - unless the label has to do with 99% of the people.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 10/02/11 09:51 PM
Check out the number of sponsors and who they are (for just this one event) Make no mistake, this is not a piddley little movement.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=282473051782707

COMMUNITY/LABOR MARCH TO WALL ST.
Share • Public Event
Time Wednesday, October 5 • 4:30pm - 7:30pm

Let's march down to Wall Street to welcome the protesters and show the faces of New Yorkers hardest hit by corporate greed.

Sponsored By:
United NY
Strong Economy for All Coalition
Working Families Party,
VOCAL-NY
Community Voices Heard
Alliance for Quality Education
New York Communities for Change
Coalition for the Homeless
Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project (NEDAP)
TWU Local 100
The Job Party
NYC Coalition for Educational Justice
The Mirabal Sisters Cultural and Community Center
The New Deal for New York Campaign
National People's Action
ALIGN
Human Services Council
Labor-Religion Coalition of New York State
Citizen Action of NY
MoveOn.org
SEIU 1199
CWA 1109

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 10/02/11 09:50 PM

This is not just a USA movement – it concerns Everyone in the world who are, what the US movement is calling, the 99%. Notice that the list below – branches in London, Canada, Europe.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/#!/OccupyWallSt

Yes, over 100 cities in the United States have joined the Occupy Movement. Check out this page to plug into your area. Please be true to the name and take over space and Occupy! Even for a few hours.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/OccupyTogether
Community Occupy Puerto Rico
Community Occupy Arcata
Community Occupy Evansville
Community Occupy COMO
Community Occupy Columbia
Non-Profit Organization Occupy Miami
Organization Occupy Albany NY
Community Organization Occupy Spokane
Community Occupy Louisville
Community Asheville Day of Solidarity
Community Occupy Buffalo
Community Organization Occupy Arkansas
Community Occupy Richmond
Cause Occupy Santa Cruz
Community OccupyMaine
Community Occupy Charlotte
Political Organization #OccupySF
Community Organization Occupy Birmingham
Community Occupy Denver
Community Occupy the London Stock Exchange
Community Occupy OSU (Oklahoma State University)
Community OccupyjaxFL
Community Occupy Europe
Community Organization #OccupyYoungstown
Community Occupy Columbus
Community Occupy Binghamton
Community Occupy Cincinnati
Community Occupy Omaha
Community Organization Occupy Pittsburgh
Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Occupy San Francisco
Community Organization Occupy New Orleans
Cause Occupy San Diego
Community Occupy North Georgia
Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Occupy SLC
Cause OccupySTL
Community Organization Occupy Nashville
Community OCCUPY ATLANTA
Community Occupy Michigan
Community Occupy Tulsa
Political Organization Occupy Financial District SF
Community Occupy Sacramento
Community Occupy Dallas
Organization #OWSNashville
Community OccupySacramento
Community Occupy San Jose
Community Occupy Nebraska
Community Occupy Philadelphia
Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Occupy Tampa
Community Organization Occupy Houston
Community #OccupyX
Community Occupy Boston
Community Occupy Florida
Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Occupy Seattle
Community Organization Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet
Community "Occupy Wall Street" Protest support in Phoenix
Community Occupy Chicago
Community OccupyMN
Political Organization Occupy Toronto Market Exchange
Cause #OCCUPYDC Oct. 6, 2011
Community Occupy Los Angeles
Community #OccupyCleveland
Cause #OccupyPhoenix
• Non-Governmental Organization (NGO)

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 10/02/11 09:41 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/02/occupy-wall-street-protesters-brooklyn-bridge

More than 700 people were arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday evening during a march by anti-Wall Street protesters who have been occupying a downtown Manhattan square for two weeks.
The group, called Occupy Wall Street, has been protesting against the finance industry and other perceived social ills by camping out in Zuccotti park in New York.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-protests-spread-across-the-country-bloomberg-calls-them-misguided/

The protests have spread across the country, with events popping up in Boston, Chicago and dozens of other cities across the country in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street.

In Albuquerque, N.M., there were more than 500 protestors, and demonstrators in Spokane, Wash., set up a tent city before police enforced a no-camping rule.

A march and rally was held in Boston Friday called “Take Back Boston” run by the Right to the City alliance, a national organization that “seeks to create regional and national impacts in the fields of housing, human rights, urban land, community development, civic engagement, criminal justice, environmental justice, and more,” according to its website.

Police estimated about 3,000 people attended the events Friday.
“We are targeting Wall Street, in particular the big banks and corporations,” Rachel Laforest, the executive director of the Right to the City Alliance told ABC News. “The goal is to create a national narrative and have it be known how the states are taking state revenues that are being funneled to banks and corporations and then you layer on top of that the fact that they’re not obligated to pay their fair share of taxes, and so that’s billions and billions of dollars that could be put toward job creation and creating solutions to the housing crisis.”

Today’s events in Boston will continue with a “Take Back the Block” festival. At least 1,500 have registered for the festival.
Along with New York and Boston, an Occupy Chicago movement has emerged, with nearly 100 people gathering in front of the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank. The protests have been peaceful and no arrests have been reported.

Occupy Los Angeles protests which have also been small in numbers, has called for a march today at 10 a.m. from Pershing Square downtown to City Hall.

https://occupywallst.org/

Brooklyn Bridge Occupied
Posted Oct. 1, 2011, 4:56 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
Police have kettled the march on the Brooklyn Bridge and have begun arresting protesters. At least 20 arrested so far.
Follow the action

UPDATE: 5:15PM - Brooklyn Bridge has been shut down by police
UPDATE: 5:55PM - At least 50 arrested.
UPDATE: 8:17PM - NYTimes reporting hundreds arrested - including a reporter - police appear to have deliberately misled protesters.
UPDATE: 8:40PM - Around 400 peaceful protesters arrested.
UPDATE 10/2 2:20AM - Over 700 protesters arrested.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 10/02/11 08:51 PM
Via reddit

FIRST ‘OFFICIAL’ STATEMENT FROM THE OCCUPY WALL STREET MOVEMENT

This was unanimously voted on by all members of Occupy Wall Street last night, around 8pm, Sept 29. It is our first official document for release. We have three more underway, that will likely be released in the upcoming days: 1) A declaration of demands. 2) Principles of Solidarity 3) Documentation on how to form your own Direct Democracy Occupation Group. This is a living document. you can receive an official press copy of the latest version by emailing c2anycga@gmail.com .

Declaration of the Occupation of New York City
As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*

To the people of the world,
We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!
*These grievances are not all-inclusive.

Via reddit

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 10/01/11 10:51 PM
Setting humans aside, there is much violence in the animal kingdom. Animals who are adept in using violence to protect a territory and its young are generally acting out of instinct born of necessity.

Humans are just another species of animal. Instead of calling our social circles a pride, pack, den, and so on, we call ourselves a society. We have spanned the globe finding and setting up the boundaries of our territories and those who live within a territory are encultuated into or otherwise agree to adhere to a social contract particular to that territory.

In other words, the ability of humans to recognize that their greatest strength lay in numbers, more than in the intelligence or ingenutiy of a few individuals, has allowed us to create huge societies but has not allowed us to beed out the survival instinct of protecting or violently defending our territories and procuring more in which to expand.

Some may claim that our intelligence sets humans above all animal species, yet we fail to recognize that we have simply formed much larger, more elaborately configured, highly complex, hierarchical structures of prides, dens and packs.

Do you think it's possible to breed out instinctual aggressiveness/violence? Would any country really want to do that?

Do you think it's possible to be educated enough to manually override instinctual tendencies and still project them when needed?

The reality of the situation is that we (the USA)don't want to diminish violent tendencies and I expect the vast majority of countries feel the same way. With populations exploding and natural resources becoming more limited the best options seem to be colonization or war.

As for any two cultures being able to solve thier differences with words... think of Palestine and Israel and the generations of violence between them. Do you still think humans are so evolved that words alone can overcome our violent natures? Do you think any single nation wants to be the first to attemt it?

Just as a side-bar... do you consider it violence when we hurt ourselves in order to punish others? Is it violence when a person takes on the role of martyre? Do you think that a hunger strike is a peaceful form of protest?

We are still animals, evolution really is a slow process.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 10/01/11 06:42 PM
ok. You are saying that a statement is only a true statement when qualified with the conditional IFF.

The cup is on the table <-> the cup is on the table.
Sorry - IFF - instead of <->.

From the discussion you had with AB on the first page you state that verification is insufficient as is the statement alone.

Then I have ask – in your opinion - what makes adding the conditional (IFF) any more sufficient to making your statement a true statement? Simply adding the conditional is not verification or validation that the statement corresponds to fact/reality any more than the statement itself.

AB, JR, and JB have all alluded to the idea that correspondence to fact/reality is an objective function, meaning that a verbal conditional is also not sufficient to making your statement true; and each of them has been discounted. I don’t understand why?

I am confused by the one word (true) in your question:
Might the word (valid), replacing the word true, be more apt in the situation? Making the question read – What would it take for the claim to be valid?

To me, using the word true requires correspondence to fact/reality which cannot be sufficed through a simple IFF statement. At the moment I can think of only two ways in which to correspond a statement to fact/reality. The first is to ‘believe’ that the source of the statement has, in reality, verified in some objective way the validity of the statement. The second way to correspond a statement to fact/reality would be to objectively verify/experience the conditional of the statement (the IFF).

We can side-step the conditional (make unnecessary) by utilizing either of the two ways above.

At this junction, Creative, I think you can respond to this post directly, or if you further explain the necessity of the IFF and how it is sufficient to making your statement true, I may better understand without your having address this post directly.

Thanks!
flowerforyou

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 10/01/11 03:53 PM

Another point is that we (all humans) hold certain beliefs on faith alone and it doesn't have to be religious is nature (as you know). We believe many things even IF skepticism is part of our evaluative process. We begin with a theory (belief)and evey day we proceed on that belief. >> I'm hungary, I'm going to eat << versus >> I'm not going to eat, there's no point, I'm dying anyway <<.

We do have faith and thus a certain level of belief, even if we hold that skepticism is first rule of order.

not so, red. at least in my case. soul doesn't lend credibility to my saying this but i've no faith in anything or anybody. i may conclude that something told to me or that i read is highly feasable based how i judge the credibility of the person and a likely explanation, but i never believe it to be fact.

you say 'we begin with a theory [belief]'. a belief is not a theory by any stretch of the imagination. we begin with a postulate and from their form a hypothesis. the theory follows later when a test or tests can be conducted and shown to produce predictable and repeatable results in support of the new theory. i've posted this before:

'a good theory will describe a large range of phenomena on the basis of a few simple postulates and will make definite predictions that can be tested. if the predictions agrees with the observations, the theory survives that test, though it can never be proved to be correct.'

stephen hawking, the universe in a nutshell.

so even the best scientific theories should not be believed to be fact, proved or even provable according to hawking. sure it's passed every test of the decades or centuries but nobody knows if it will pass the next test. scientists never take anything on faith alone. they love to one up the other guy. always trying to challenge a theory using scientific methodology to see if the theory will hold up to the latest test. in science we investigate to disprove a theory knowing that any attempt to prove it would be wasted time.

So sorry I made you write all that for nothing. I wrote that very quickly before leaving for work and did not proof read it. I used an inappropriate word - my bad. But thanks for trying to correct my thinking - though it was language that was wrong.

I have no choice but to accept that you do not proceed in your day-to-day existence with any, faith, trust, or belief, in anything becasue I don't know you.

I will say however, that I cannot imagine what kind of person, friend, or relative, you would be if others could have no 'faith', 'trust', or 'belief' that your actions/behaviors were predictable. I say that because it seems impossible for someone to place such values in person who holds none of those values himself preferring to skeptical of everything and everyone around him.

To me that would be one scary dude.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 10/01/11 06:02 AM

Belief is all too often attached to religion.

religion is all about belief. one must beblieve there is a god as such a concept cannot even be theorized much less established as fact. when i lost my belief in god i concluded that to believe anything i senseless. afterall, the two people i trusted most, my parents, led me to my senseless belief.

People attempt to understand others from either by association (comparing another's experience to their own), or by empathy (attempting to feel what one feels about the issue being described). We can never be 'absolutely certain' that anyone understands us in any given situation.

There are also times in a person's life when a problem weighs on the mind and the individual becomes obsessed with the problem. For example: A neighbor's 13 yr old son was becoming obsessed with dying until he feared his own death and wondered why we try. I told him the facts - is there any human in history whose body has not died? (no) then we all face the moment when we realize our time here is limited and all we can do is use the time as we are allotted without regard to exactly when we will expire. A little further discussion but a couple days later his mom said he was a changed kid, even making plans and asked his mom about some long term goas he was thinking about.

Points: Although some are put off by the science of psychology, sometimes we have to admit that the research makes sense. The research indicates that humans have this innate and mostley automatic ability to and capacity for 'believing' in whatever will ease the burden that certain problems bring to us, like our own death. For some it takes religion - so you parents and other adults didn't lie, they simply used a TIME-tested traditional method of getting past the fear.

Another point is that we (all humans) hold certain beliefs on faith alone and it doesn't have to be religious is nature (as you know). We believe many things even IF skepticism is part of our evaluative process. We begin with a theory (belief)and evey day we proceed on that belief. >> I'm hungary, I'm going to eat << versus >> I'm not going to eat, there's no point, I'm dying anyway <<.

We do have faith and thus a certain level of belief, even if we hold that skepticism is first rule of order.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 09/30/11 07:50 PM

The cup is on the table: (let me think of away to warrent and justify the statement...

If the cup is on the table then someone put it on the table
Creative was last seen sitting at the table drinking a cup of coffee
Creative put the cup on the table

I can now believe that the cup is on the table

We need more information about the cup that Creative says is on table. How do you warrant the cup being on the table Creative? How would you justify that statement to others.

Until that information is provided how can anyone other than the ‘maker’ of the statement have any confidence in the truth value of that statement?

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 09/30/11 05:52 PM

These threads go something like this . . . . .creative lays out a valid and nuanced account of an aspect of philosophy.

Someone does not understand or wants to argue, comes up with a sad sad rebuttal, that rebuttal is pulled apart and shown to be in error.

That person is then offended and makes it there mission to poison the well, ad hom creative, and try to make him the bad guy.

I come along stick up for creative point out the flaws in the rebuttal trying to use more common language in hopes that the usage is the problem with the miss-communication, then I get frustrated becuase I realize the objective is not to debate the topic rationally but to attack creative and I leave.

I come back to find redy has set down a beautiful and insightful accounting of how this all goes down, and then everyone shuts up for a bit.

Next topic please we have made full circle.

I keep hoping that someday, I will develope the skill of making my points clearly in the least amount of words possible, like I've seen Bushi and Creative do so often. JR, Jeanniebean and Pan - well most everyone seem more proficient in that realm than I. I'm working on it. My thanks to you Bushi and everyone else who takes the time to read my wordy responses.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 09/30/11 06:50 AM
Just wanted to say one more think.

If the justification that holds up an individuals idea, thought, opinion, is offered - there is NO offence on either side.

In philosophy, like science, the whole point is PROVE that one idea is more valid than another.

The ethical nature of communication is NOT attack a communication unjustly and never to attack an individual (though as someone already said) we are emotional beings and that can happen.

So if you have a point MAKE IT and justifiy. If it is not understood by another it SHOULD BE questioned further.

forthright and honest