Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 08/05/11 02:12 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Fri 08/05/11 02:20 PM

Obviously your definition of "truth" is vastly different from mine, and from the entire mathematical and scientific communities of all of humanity.

So let's be clear on this point that YOU are the "lone one out here" with some outrageous claim that is far different from any ideas of truth in mainstream humanity.

Di wrote,

He's not alone. I, for one, agree with the points Creative is making even though, in the beginning, I did not. However, I discovered that the reason I took issue with what Creative has been saying has to do with how we learn and with how fundamentally we hold onto the 'belief' that we, as individuals cannot be so misinformed and still be able to communicate and understand others. But globally, do we really communicate well and thoroughly understand others?

Abra wrote:

What does this have to do with how humans define what they mean by "truth".

The concept of truth is still a concept of deciding whether or not a particular description of a state of affairs is correct or not.

How individuals refer to truth and what they accept as truth determines how a communication will affect the beliefs and thus the behaviors of others.

Whenever a communication begins with misconceptions, the entire communication is at risk of being misunderstood and misrepresented.

The basic concept of what we mean by "truth" would remain the same.

I'm that's not the case then perhap you can offer me a definition or example of a "truth" that is not a description of a state of affairs.

If we expect truth to be consistent then truth cannot be affected by belief rather belief is affected by truth.

Truth exists/persists whether people percieve it or not, believe in it or not, recognize it or not.

Communication between beings only result in truth when the symbolic representation of thoughts/ideas can be corresponded to fact/reality.

Abra said:

What would it mean to say that something is "true" if you haven't even referenced a description of a state of affairs?

What is it that would be "true" if not the description of the state of affairs?

Good question and that's part of the issue isn't it. If we use the word true or truth inaccurately, then we are not communicating properly, are we?

Communication itself is comprised of thoughts & ideas based on our pre-existing beliefs. When we communicate our thoughts or ideas, we are in effect communicating our own beliefs.

Our beliefs are comprised of all kinds of information. Some of the inforamtion is common knowledge, some opinion, some belief and some combination of all of these.

So when we communicate, those with whom we communicate must translate all the symbols by correspinding them to reality. That is how truth is discerned and attributed.

Abra Wrote:
Like Jeanniebean's candy jar example.

If children are lied to before being capable of knowing anything else, they may believe there is truth in the lie. But we know there is not truth there, there is only belief - and we know belief is only 'thought' by the individual to be true.

The actual state of affairs themselves have no 'truth value' in and of themselves. They can't be said to be "true" or "false" until there has been a description or expectation of some sort.

Not so - as I wrote above:
If we expect truth to be consistent then truth cannot be affected by belief rather belief is affected by truth.

Truth exists/persists whether people percieve it or not, believe in it or not, recognize it or not.

Abra Wrote:

You have to have a meaningful definition for "truth" before you can start asking how different people might arrive at it.

That’s what creative has been doing here – in many different ways. So I’ll go back to the beginning and one of his first definitions, because if you can’t understand it yet – then you probably need to begin this thread from the second page that this definition comes from.

By creative:
Truth is autonomously engaged and enacted. Truth is connective, in an odd sense it is relative. It relates/connects thought/belief to reality. It is neither objective, nor subjective.

Truth is not a man-made concept.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 08/05/11 12:44 PM

My main problem is not being able to comprehend what he writes. If I understood that better I might agree with him more often, but I don't like agreeing to something I don't comprehend.

EXACTLY. That was how I felt at first and why I bucked. HONESTLY, it took a lot of persistence and relaxing my ego & mind to see what I have intuitively understood all along.

I don't explain it as well as creative, and I have to really think about questions regarding the topic, which is why my last post includes so many questions. These were the same or similar questions that I have been asking myself throughout this thread.

I'm just hoping they might help someone else achieve the 'AH HA' moment as I did.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 08/05/11 12:33 PM

To a very young child everything is assumed "true." (**see below) They have not been introduced to the idea of false. To a young child just learning to use language, they expect people to speak the truth. They have to learn that people will tell lies.

So what happens when a young child first experiences the difference between true and false and comes face to face with the realization of an utterance that is false?

The candy is in the blue jar. <----- the lie.
The candy is in the red jar. <------the truth.

Her mother told her the lie. Her father told her the truth.

Now if this happened a number of times, she will soon realize that her mother is a liar. Her utterance cannot be believed.

The candy being in the red jar corresponds to the state of affairs.
The statement is true.

**--> The term "true" in the first sentence is not really the right word because without the concept of false it is meaningless to the observing child. Everything is just information at that point. True and false have no meaning.

To a young child everything experienced is the state of affairs.

THAT REMINDS OF SOMETHING.

The field of psychology has learned a lot from the visual cliff experiements with children originally conducted in 1960. The experiment was conducted to determine if depth perception was learned through experience or it was inherent.

Since that time the tests have evolved. Below are videos of two such tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=1&feature=PlayList&v=eyxMq11xWzM&list=PLA625D6E261AA07A1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwqZNPmxD34&feature=related

What they show is what creative has been trying to get across. We act on our ‘beliefs’ because we presuppose our beliefs are true.

In one video babies are placed in the center of a table, either side of which appears to drop off dramatically. The babies are coaxed, by their mother, to venture across one of the edges, and by faith alone the babies, hesitantly, deny what they inherently ‘know’, about the situation, and make the journey.

Note that the babies believed that the cliff they perceived represented danger and without being coaxed by their mother, the children would not venture over the cliff.

Oddly, when the mothers went to the other side and tried to coax their babies to ‘that’ side, the babies would not go. Apparently they are not of an age that they can understand about plexiglass and when belief was pitted against faith for the second time, the babies favored their own beliefs rather than their faith.

How is this like the idea that a child believes that Santa Clause is real? The child takes the idea of Santa Clause on faith. It becomes a belief through faith.

Questions:
Does the belief of the baby in the video have a basis in reality: Does a cliff present danger to a baby?
If a child beliefs in Santa Clause, does that belief correspond with reality?

Does the baby in the cliff experiment have knowledge that equates to fact?
Does the child who believes in Santa Clause have knowledge that equates to fact?
What’s the difference between the two?

Are definitions of knowledge and belief synonymous?

Does knowledge correspond to fact? Would false knowledge be meaningful?
Does reality correspond to fact? Do facts correspond to truth?
If a fact were found to be false, did it ever correspond to truth?
Does truth ever correspond to something false?

If knowledge were the only thing that ever guided our behavior, would all of our beliefs have a basis in fact/reality?

If belief is the only thing that ever guides our behavior, would everything we believe have a basis in reality/fact?

What does it take for opinion to be considered belief?
What does it take for opinion to be considered knowledge?
When are opinion, belief, and knowledge ever synonymous?
What makes them different?

How do we get to the truth of this matter?flowerforyou

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 08/05/11 09:35 AM
Obviously your definition of "truth" is vastly different from mine, and from the entire mathematical and scientific communities of all of humanity.

So let's be clear on this point that YOU are the "lone one out here" with some outrageous claim that is far different from any ideas of truth in mainstream humanity.

He's not alone. I, for one, agree with the points Creative is making even though, in the beginning, I did not. However, I discovered that the reason I took issue with what Creative has been saying has to do with how we learn and with how fundamentally we hold onto the 'belief' that we, as individuals cannot be so misinformed and still be able to communicate and understand others. But globally, do we really communicate well and thoroughly understand others?

Abra in response to creative:

So you are clearly taking a stance that all of humanity is wrong and you are right. That's a very special CLAIM that you are making.

You should not expect anyone to understand your totally new concepts and ideas until you have laid them out in their entirety. Have you published a paper on this that we can read?

Your claim does not correspont to reality, let me explain why. If you do a little research you will find that this subject has been a long discussed philisophical topic.

Furthermore, I have brought this topic up with others and not only was I surprised to hear that they too agree with Creative, but I felt like I really needed to play catch up.

So I've been carefully reading this thread and I have read some outside sources as well. It's been very interesting.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 08/03/11 05:31 AM
JB:
2. If I found a gun and wanted to see if it was loaded I would not fire it at all. I would open it and see if it was loaded. Yes, I believe guns can kill people. I don't believe that 100% but why would I take the chance of pointing it at someone? I would have to believe that guns absolutely don't hurt people to do that.

Instead you have developed a belief which could be based on a couple of things
1. the value you place on human life which indicates that you believe that there ARE OTHERS that coexist with you and that you don’t want to hurt them.
2. OR the value you place on your own well-being which still indicated that you believe that there ARE OTHERS that coexist with you and they have the power to make you suffer in some way.

Either way, you hold these believe based on 100% confidence that they match reality: They are no opinion, therefore what you have said does NOT match reality so it has been falsified here.

Abra:
I don't deny the macro laws of classical physics. But that's a totally moot point when speaking about philosophies concerning the potential nature of reality. Classical physics is obviously not all that exists. We already know this to be the case. We actually have technologies that make use of the modern laws of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Those laws are real. They are currently being used in technologies.

JB would, and has, argued here that there are no such laws and that you utter only opinion. She says that you understand her, well so does creative and so do I but none of us, including you, Abra, appear to agree with her.

JB, does that mean that Abra does not understand you either?

Abra:
Di, Perhaps you can address this question:

Why do people continually use Classical Physics examples in philosophical discussions, whilst simultaneously proclaiming that they are not holding out for a Classical resolution to philosophical questions?

I can’t say I understand your confusion. In this thread we have been discussing reality, which you have aptly indicated are those things that we know (in your examples, through science) which match up to reality.

Whether a person can actually experience weightlessness or space flight is not reason not accept the reality surrounding the science which makes those things possible. We are intelligent and creative beings and with critical thought processes and abstract creativity we can internalize knowledge and base beliefs upon it without actually experiencing it.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 08/02/11 05:16 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Tue 08/02/11 05:18 PM

JB,

To paraphrase what you are communicating here:

There is nothing of which you are certain, except that you exist.

Therefore, you believe that you have no knowledge of things that correspond to reality because you are not sure that there is such a thing as reality.

All you hold are personal opinions which cannot be shown to correspond with the real world, again because you question whether the physical world even exists.

I find a fundamental flaw in your reasoning that has to do with existence and behavior.

You are certain you exist and since you only know the shape, form, and attributes of YOU as human, then you are admitting that YOUR existence corresponds to this physical reality.

By association you certainly hold other beliefs that you believe correspond to the reality of this physical existence.

For example, you would not jump off a 5 story building expecting to fly – would you? Why?

If you wanted to know whether a gun was loaded or not, you would not point it at a passerby and pull the trigger to find out – would you? Why?

If your stomach is growling and you realize you have not eaten since yesterday, would you think you might be hungry? Why?

Behavior is tied to beliefs. If you don’t presuppose that what you believe is true (corresponds to reality) then you could not be able to take care of yourself because you wouldn’t know how to behave and you would probably be a danger to others as well.

Di,

Your summary is completely absurd.

You don't understand either.

I'm quite sure that Abra completely understands everything I am saying but he has been banned from posting.

I can see why you and Creative are perfectly suited to carry on pointless meaningless conversations that are completely mental.

I am convinced that there is no way to help you or him understand what I mean considering this post above.

You are either being sarcastic or you are not even near a point of understanding.

I will spare you and him any further 'gymnastics' you two are not reachable.

I was not being sarcastic I was just trying show you that you do have beleifs that are 100% connected to reality.

Forget the whole first part of my last post and PLEASE respond honestly to the following: If nothing else it should help you state your point of view.

You are certain you exist and since you only know the shape, form, and attributes of YOU as human, then you are admitting that YOUR existence corresponds to this physical reality. You are 100% certain that you exist.

By association you certainly must hold other beliefs that correspond to the reality of this physical existence.

EXAMPLES:
Why would you not jump from a 5 story building expecting to fly?

If you wanted to see if a gun you just found was loaded, why wouldn't you point it at a passerby and pull the trigger?

How do you know when you need to eat and why bother eating at all?

Behavior is tied to beliefs. If you don’t presuppose that what you believe is true (corresponds to reality) then you would not be able to take care of yourself and you could be a danger to others as well. Does that make sense to you considering the questions I asked?

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 08/02/11 04:46 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Tue 08/02/11 04:48 PM
Creative:
Perception - I was referring to our autonomous physiological sensory perception. The innate and instinct faculty.

Di:
Are you suggesting that thought is only produced by innate and instinctual faculties? Is there more than one kind of thought process going on?

Creative:
No. I'm asserting that initial thought/belief formation is limited to the available faculties that are not borne of thought/belief itself.

Example?:

OK, it’s instinctual for a baby to cry … ‘initial thought/belief formation = baby cries (a reflex – instinctual) baby is comforted. Baby (thinks) cry/comfort, cry/comfort --- BEHAVIOR – Baby cries, baby is comforted. Baby has developed a belief – when I cry, I will be comforted. Now when baby is cold, wet, hungry, it cries. Baby is forming thought belief – “when I cry, I will be comforted.”

Does that match what you are getting at?

Creative:

There are different kinds of thoughts. The kinds are categorized by their level of complexity and their content which entails both, the objects of thought, and what the thought/belief necessarily presupposes(what must be already in place, or necessarily presupposed within it in order for it to form in the first place).

I see these as wants and needs. A baby who is being breastfed soon learns the sensory differences between mother and father or mother and others. Now you have a hungry baby, who know to cry to fulfill its need, but is other than mom picks baby up, baby will not be comforted but will whale louder.

Is this what you mean by ‘categorizing’? I consider that the creation of a construct. Example: MOTHER = …smell, …touch, … sound, … food, … FATHER: has another set of smell, touch, sound, NO FOOD, but maybe more overall warmth..

Di
When does innate & instinct faculty of autonomous physiological sensory perception become a conscious thought process?

Creative
Never, on my view. It is but one element necessary for initial thought/belief formation.

I have just shown the progression of how innate & instinct faculty … becomes part of the process which leact to a thought which elicits behavior.

However, since baby does not have language at this point, baby is developing another one our instinctual and necessary ‘sub-conscious’ thought processes: heuristics. The constructs would seem to be a necessary process in order for heuristics to function. For baby, most thought processes are tied to instinct and most new constructs are tied to sensory perception, there is no language until there is a connection that certain sounds/utterances have a specific meaning.

Di:

Your use of the term “spatiotemporal distinction” is confusing please expound on its purpose or function as part of realization of ‘other’? Also explain what ‘other’ includes.

Creative:
All things appear to us in time and space. To consciously distinguish a thing is to set it out(identify it) as 'other', it is to individuate(not Jungian individuation). It is to realize that there is something here or there, and therefore realize the existence of 'other'.

OK – baby playing peek-a-boo is a good game to determine at what age a child understands that a thing has not disappeared into non-existence, it simply needs to be uncovered. So ‘distinguish object’ as well as, find a hidden object would be part of spatiotemporal distinction – correct?

I think baby has already made the connection that it is self-existent and that its needs and wants require ‘others’ in order to be fulfilled. Just try giving a baby who has been breastfed for many months a bottle with formula. That baby knows YOU are a man, and NOT MOM, that the bottle is not a breast and that formula is not food. :wink:

The point is, a baby knows that it is separate from other objects that surround it even while it is still functioning mainly on instinct.

Creative:
Correlation - Correlation between objects of perception either to one another or to the subject. If a single correlation is a thought, then multiple correlations between new objects of perception and former correlations produce more and more complex thought.

Di:
Is a correlation necessary to invoke thought?

Creative:
Mental correlation between objects of perception, and/or to oneself constitutes being second-order thought/belief formation. Individuation being first-order

Most people, even those who are progressive thinkers, have a difficult time merging ‘mind & body’ as one fully functions entity. I don’t think you can separate instinct, perception, and thought in the way you have attempted.

However, I do see the need for ‘correlation’. Correlation involves connecting initial constructs (Mother, Father) with other objects: Mother to breast / bottle / sippy cup… and so on.

At the moment I’m looking at keeping Perception and Correlation but somewhere in there language adds a new element and it leads to more abstract thinking. There is also motivation, which is originally driven by instinct – and some would argue that all behavior ultimately stems from instinct, including the beliefs we form about our values which become a moral model for our behavior.

I see now why trying to define thought might be a fools mission.noway

So what do you think.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 08/01/11 09:07 PM
Sorry Creative, been busy. I do have a response half written but will have to finish it tomorrow afternoon.

I'll be back.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 08/01/11 08:35 PM
JB,

To paraphrase what you are communicating here:

There is nothing of which you are certain, except that you exist.

Therefore, you believe that you have no knowledge of things that correspond to reality because you are not sure that there is such a thing as reality.

All you hold are personal opinions which cannot be shown to correspond with the real world, again because you question whether the physical world even exists.

I find a fundamental flaw in your reasoning that has to do with existence and behavior.

You are certain you exist and since you only know the shape, form, and attributes of YOU as human, then you are admitting that YOUR existence corresponds to this physical reality.

By association you certainly hold other beliefs that you believe correspond to the reality of this physical existence.

For example, you would not jump off a 5 story building expecting to fly – would you? Why?

If you wanted to know whether a gun was loaded or not, you would not point it at a passerby and pull the trigger to find out – would you? Why?

If your stomach is growling and you realize you have not eaten since yesterday, would you think you might be hungry? Why?

Behavior is tied to beliefs. If you don’t presuppose that what you believe is true (corresponds to reality) then you could not be able to take care of yourself because you wouldn’t know how to behave and you would probably be a danger to others as well.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 07/30/11 07:48 PM
Perception - I was referring to our autonomous physiological sensory perception. The innate and instinct faculty.

I’m confused: Are you suggesting that thought is only produced by innate and instinctual faculties? Is there more than one kind of thought process going on?

When does innate & instinct faculty of autonomous physiological sensory perception become a conscious throught process?

Distinction – I was thinking more alone the lines of the spatiotemporal distinction required for individuation/identification.

Distinction is the realization of 'other'. It can be crude enough to allow a bacteria to distinguish, unknowingly of course, between fire and food source. I find some rudimentary form of it to be necessary for survival instinct, avoiding danger.

Your use of the term “spatiotemporal distinction” is confusing please expound on its purpose or function as part of realization of ‘other’? Also explain what ‘other’ includes .

Correlation - Correlation between objects of perception either to one another or to the subject. If a single correlation is a thought, then multiple correlations between new objects of perception and former correlations produce more and more complex thought.

Is a correlation necessary to invoke thought?

So taken all together – what page are you on because I’m not there.flowerforyou

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 07/30/11 06:37 AM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sat 07/30/11 06:43 AM

I know this topic was probably brought up before, but what are your views on it. Do you believe the consciousness is a mere set of memories we retain for our lifetime until our brain dies or something much more?

Prior to the philosophers of existentialism and the study of phenomenology, there was a philosophical acceptance of the dual nature of mind and body. So ingrained was this dichotomy that it continued into the sciences and can still be a point of difference for many. The existentialists, Sartre, Heidegger, Camus, Merleau-Ponty, Husserl, and others began to change that way of thinking.

JR will be happy to know that he is probably an existentialist thinker because phenomenology, among other things, has to do with phenomena and the ‘conscious experience’ that the individual experiences. In other words consciousness is not a thing that is permanent and separate from the being, it constantly emerges as the individual in motion is constantly aware and updating consciousness through first hand experience.

I tend to side with existentialism because I don’t believe there is a duality of nature between mind and body, they are one and they function as one and the sole purpose of that function is survival for the continuance of the species.

The separation of mind and body allows for the grandest of mystic beliefs and much of this dichotomy continues even today as a source of contention between the religious communities and science. Not all existenalists are atheists, but existenalism helped to open the door of acceptance for many athiestic thinkers.

Today we are currently in the midst of a changing medical model becasue technology has improved our scientific understanding of the body to such a great extent that we have seen the diminishing effects of mysticism in how the body functions.

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 07/29/11 06:44 AM
So why is it illegal? Oh, could it be that governments are afraid that that such 'businesses' may be run by adults through child labor?

A lemonade stand in front of a kids house is hardly a slave labor business. It's not like there are several children in a tent running sewing machines on a busy corner.

Not only that but times are tough and what's wrong with a child wanting to spend part of their summer doing this kind of 'internship' to make a little extra money for things the parents can no longer afford.

Yep - a three class system 'corporate class' and 'elite class' - the elite are the governments who name their own wage and benefits at the expense of the third, the 'lower class' (the poor & working poor).

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 07/28/11 09:24 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Thu 07/28/11 09:30 PM
Going back to What is Thought? Synopsis by: Eric B. Baum

JB wrote:
The most interesting sentence in it for me was this one:

"For a variety of reasons, including arguments based on complexity theory, developmental biology, evolutionary programming, ethology, and simple inspection, this compact Occam program is most naturally seen to be in the DNA, rather than the brain."

I don’t want to spend a lot of time on this but I think it’s worth mentioning that much of what Baum is researching and discussing as the article JB posted indicates, may have been misunderstood. Baum is discussing why we have not been able to simulate human ‘thought’ with a computer program. Much of what Baum refers to as ‘programming in DNA’ is not something that overrides the brain, rather these are things that have ‘evolved’ through our DNA to work with (compliment) the brain. For example: personality traits, how we see (the eye itself) or hear (the ear itself) and so on, the development of heuristics, instincts, and the components (organs & chemicals) which trigger thought.

Baum discusses and researches the interactions that exist between all of the functions I just wrote above, which give our thought processes a multidimensional quality.

Obviously DNA had to play a role in this process because we simply don’t have the capability of ‘consciously’ assessing every ‘bit’ of data that streams second by minute by hours through our sits of perception.

But this is not a matter of DNA over the brain or instead of the brain, it is a matter of complimentary systems designed by evolution.

.JB wrote:
So then do you agree that thoughts are things?
Are these 'thoughts?"

A notion.
An Intention.
A visualization.
An idea.
A perception. (This apple tastes crunchy and juicy and sweet.)
An emotion. (feeling) (I'm so angry or happy..)

When a human brain functions normally it creates what we call ‘constructs’. A construct is a literally any one thing about which we build a reference.

Examples of constructs: animals (the top of the hierarchy) then broken down into types of animals, vertebrae and non, mammal or non, four-legged, winged, fins & gills and so on. Each type becomes it’s construct just as each animal becomes its own construct which includes all the attributes/ traits of the particular animal.

Every or any element within any particular construct is often a part of another construct. So for instance, we can begin THINKING about an animal with wings and end up thinking about sonar (via the bat).

We are not born knowing these things, we learn all this information as we grow and develop.

Therefore, “notion” can be a construct by virtue of the attributes that have been constructed around it, just as “intention”, “visualization” and “idea” are constructs.

The most important part of our individual constructs have to do with how well we have related all the parts of our constructs to reality.

Therein lay the foundation of communication our thoughts in the most understandable and efficient manner.

SO MOVING ON:

Creative Wrote:

I would tend to agree Di. I think thought begins with sensory perception. I mean it is necessary, but insufficient for thought/belief formation, on my view... which has Jungian influence by the way.

I find that there are three distinct elements which, when combined, produce a thought/belief.

Perception
Distinction
Correlation

Now each of these need to be carefully parsed out, however, I believe that it(sensory perception) is a good starting point.

Perception – perception being all the multidimensional parts of how we perceive, as I have indicated in my explanation of ‘Baum’ above.

Distinction – to me, this would be how we build our constructs

Correlation - I’m not sure what you have in mind here Creative but I think I would make Distinction and Correlation a single unit (distinction/correlation)

as in distinction (enough descriptive detail for each construct )
with adequate correlations between the various constructs to think quickly and make effective assessments.

I have to work tomorrow, so won’t be back till tomorrow night.

OH - as for the rest of the thread - It sees to have gotten a little off track. I think it would be benefical to stick to "human" thought.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 07/25/11 07:43 PM

What is Thought? Synopsis
Eric B. Baum
MIT Press, January 2004

What is Thought? proposes a model that explains how mind is equivalent to execution of a computer program, addressing aspects such as understanding, meaning, creativity, language, reasoning, learning, and consciousness, that is consistent with extensive data from a variety of fields, and that makes empirical predictions. To achieve this one must first address how the workings of a machine, a computer, can have meaning, what meaning is.

The summary of the book in one sentence is: meaning is the computational exploitation of the compact underlying structure of the world, and mind is execution of an evolved program, largely encoded in the genome, that is all about meaning.

The discovery of meaning by evolution comes about through a principle called Occam's razor. As William of Occam posed it in the 14th century, Occam's Razor said one should choose simpler explanations in preference to more complex ones. As such it is a powerful philosophical principle that underlies all science and arguably most day-to-day reasoning. Over the last few decades, computer scientists have formalized this principle to explain concept learning. What is Thought? explains and extrapolates the recent computer science literature (to which I contributed) to posit a central organizing principle of thought: Meaning results from finding a compact enough program (a ``simple enough explanation'') behaving effectively in the world; such a program can only be so compact by virtue of code reuse, factoring into interacting modules that capture real concepts and are reused metaphorically.

For a variety of reasons, including arguments based on complexity theory, developmental biology, evolutionary programming, ethology, and simple inspection, this compact Occam program is most naturally seen to be in the DNA, rather than the brain. Learning and reasoning are then fast and almost automatic because they are constrained by the DNA programming to deal only with meaningful quantities. Evolution itself is argued to exploit meaning in related ways, and thus to speed itself up analogously to how it speeds our reasoning.

This picture explains why artificial intelligence (AI) programs have not achieved understanding in the same way humans do. Finding meaning, finding programs that exploit underlying structure, is a very hard computational problem (in a technical sense: computer scientists say it is NP-hard) that requires extensive computation to solve. Humans are not capable of the hard computation that evolution brought to bear or even that computers bring to bear when they train artificial neural nets. Thus human written programs are generally not Occam and so do not understand. To gain insight into what it means to exploit structure and how it can be equivalent to understanding, What is Thought? discusses AI, Computer science, and human approaches to a variety of problems including Chess, Go, and planning problems. Moreover experiments are described in which modular computer programs were evolved to exploit structure in hard planning problems in a human-like fashion. These evolutionary computing experiments employ new principles for evolving cooperation among modules and achieve results that are much superior to previous evolutionary progamming techniques, at least on the problems tested, and give insight into evolution of cooperation more generally.

This theory explains why language is so highly metaphoric (much more so than non-linguists realize). Metaphor is a manifestation of the reuse of computational modules. Words are labels for meaningful computational modules, explaining how they are learned so rapidly. Theories of why evolution took so long to discover language are discussed. Using the abilility to pass along programs through speech, humans have made cumulative progress in constructing, as part of their minds, useful computational modules built on top of the ones supplied by evolution. The difference between human and chimp intelligence is largely in this additional programming, and thus can be regarded as primarily due to better nurturing.

The many aspects of consciousness are naturally and consistently understood in this context. Evolution produces the program of mind to make decisions favoring the interest of the genes. Creatures with such an internal agenda are naturally said to have will-- that is we think about such creatures and ourselves using a computational module attributing will to them. While it is true that the program of mind has many modules computing different things, the unified self can be understood as the client whose interest the whole system is representing: a reification (manifestation) of the interest of the genes. The nature of what we are and are not aware is naturally explained. We are unaware of extensive computations done by our mind to extract semantically meaningful summary information. We are aware of the meaningful information affecting our decisions because it is the decision making portion of the program that reports what we speak and feel. Qualia (the way experiences "feel" to us) have exactly the appropriate nature and meaning that evolution coded in the DNA so that the compact program behaves effectively. This picture thus explicitly and naturally answers "the hard problem" and says why conscious experience feels "like" something, even though it is nothing but execution of certain computer code. The execution of that computer code that we describe as qualia is like what it is like because it evolved to have certain meanings and thus must be programmed in such a way that it has certain qualities.

No previous familiarity with computer science (or other fields) is assumed-- What is Thought? presents a pedagogical survey of the relevant background for its arguments.

http://www.whatisthought.com/synopsis.html

Very interesting. Can you highlight the main points, in your own words, which provide value to the discussion in this thread?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 07/25/11 07:41 PM

Di wrote:

Thought processes begin with sensory perception.

You state that as though it is a known fact. Has anyone claimed to have shown this to be the case without question?

I have serious doubts that this is correct. My own experiences with thoughts would suggest this this is not the case.

Can you explain why you believe this to be the case?

~~~~

Having said that, I should clarify that I most certainly do understand how sensory perception can indeed be the food for thought. I use that quite often in my shamanic journeys. I will go to a physical place, "take in the physical sensations there" and then use that as food for thought to create a starting place for a shamanic journey.

However, that is certainly not a requirement. I have also started shamanic journeys from pure abstract ideas and concepts that can't even possible exist in the physical world. So where would be the sensory perception for those thoughts?

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. When I said that thought processes begin with sensory perception I really meant BEGIN as in a newborn beginning to experience the world. It's all about perception.

It takes a long time for 'conscious' thought to begin because the baby has to develope a broad enough repertoire to make associations with new experiences.

The best example is the one Creative has already provided utilyzing your own comments: "What does dimensionless mean without dimension being known?"

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 07/25/11 07:30 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Mon 07/25/11 07:32 PM

I personally feel that there are several different ways in which we can experience thoughts...

This is curious... could you expand?

This would be difficult to put into words.

I've been studying and practicing various different techniques in meditations, dreamwork, shamanic journeying, and the art of creating spiritual thought-forms.

These various techniques require quite a bit of background. It's not something that can be easily be explained in a few words. In fact, I'm not sure if it can be explained in words at all. These are techniques that basically need to be practiced and experienced.

About the only thing I can actually share about this in words is to say that I have learned that I have far more psychic ability than I had previously realized. If the term "psychic" conjures up idea of the supernatural just replace the term with consciousness. I have far more conscious abilities than I had previously realized.

To try to explain these experiences in words would be a truly futile endeavor.

Abra, I don't want to speak for you in any way but I do see something in your words >>"...are several different ways in which we can experience thoughts."<< that is familiar to me, it's called 'state of mind'.

Although some may equate state of mind with physiological brain wave responses (alpha, beta, delta),which can often be detected during deep meditation, there are also other states of mind which often stem from emotion or deeply focused concentration or simply lack of awareness.

Lack of awareness is the state of mind in which thinking is below the level of conscious awareness. When we sleep, our dreams often include inforamtion or cognition that was accrued dureing the day just below the leve of conscious awareness.

Abra, do you think that I may have stumbled onto a partial explanation for your idea >>"...are several different ways in which we can experience thoughts."<< ??

Yes, I think so Di,

State of mind, or state of consciousness is indeed a good terminology to use. In fact, this is often the terminology that is used in the books on these topics.

However that description alone can be lost in the translation because there are many different facets to each state of consciousness. And sometimes people assume that those facets themselves are different states of consciousness.

In a sense they are. In fact, some people have described these states of consciousness as being like fractals. The way in which they can be faceted is basically endless.

Different authors have different ways of classifying the different states of consciousness.

The most common practice is to divide it into three main sections. The waking consciousness, the dream consciousness, and the cosmic consciousness. Of course different people use different terms. But it's usually divided into these three realms. Although some authors divide it up differently.

I have several very elaborate ways of dividing up states of consciousness. This isn't merely for the sake of classifying things, but it actually helps the consciousness to navigate through the different realms. It's like a psychic map.

Consciousness is imagination, whether being guided by a physical world at times or not. And it can actually help the imagination to create a map for it. Especially if it is our quest to take a specific journey through consciousness. We can even do this in the waking consciousness. In other words, it can have profound practical value associated with helping to guide the walking consciousness as we navigates through the imagination of the physical world.

We imagine a lot in our everyday physical life. We imagine what other people are thinking about us and how they perceive us. We imagine whether or not we are going to like some stranger we meet. Etc.

We actually imagine many of the interactions that we participate in and our imagination of them does indeed "create" profound affects as the interactions unfold to become our reality.

So imagination is paramount to our actually physical lives.

Dreamwork is a great place to work on imagination.

Spiritual work is when we set the imagination free to speak to us without any preconception of what we expect from it. That is when we engage the "mind of God" as they say. Or the "higher self".

Perhaps imagination itself is the cosmic consciousness that we try to pin down as "God".

But yes, states of consciousness is a good way to put it.

But if that's going to be taken too 'technically' in terms of what science might have to say about "states of consciousness" then maybe not. What they might actually be classifying are merely different facets of a single state of consciousness.

So while the term is abstractly useful, I wouldn't carve it in stone. If it's carved in stone, then it's not the concept that I'm attempting to get it. :wink:

It seems our state of mind can certainly be altered. I look to this idea to provide utility such as in the health field.

I'm not sure what you mean by taking your ideas "too technically" unless you are not intrested in finding what utility "state of mind" may have to offer.

If we are to research an idea for its possible uses then the idea does need to be grounded within the scientific method.

I happen to think that human ideas can be far more than simply a preoccupation with creative fantasy. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate creativity such as your songs or JB's card sets. I find that a worthy occupation but I'm obviously not as creative as all that so I tend to consider ideas on the basis of their scientific value.

If that means that I am considering state of mind "technically" then yes I am. But that doesn't mean YOU have to. I was just offering a possibility and you found some value in it. That doesn't have to be the same as my value.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/24/11 06:26 PM

The light reflected into the eye through the pupil and onto the retina, etc. I mean, this most certainly cannot be left out of the description, afterall thought cannot pull itself up by it's own bootstraps. Thinking requires something to think about. Rather, I find it more reasonable to hold that thought, itself, is combination of other, more simple things. That it is a product of these things, much like an apple pie is a product of it's elementary constituents(ingredients). Now, mind you, we need not invoke the baker of our thoughts for it can only be us... we are the bakers, so to speak.

So anyhow... just putting it out there, we'll see where it goes.

Thought processes begin with sensory perception. While all of our senses are simply a redundant affect of natural selection, not all of those senses are required for thought processing to take place.

Humans are naturally curious, in psychology we often relate this curious nature to an innate need to be capable; capable means survival. Thus the motive of curiosity is to become capable of survival.

So our brains are stimulated through our senses and then through our curiosity we seek more stimulation.

The more we experience, the greater our ability for self-actualization or the ability to process thought via a state of mind rather than a new sensory perception.

I utilized information I have gathered over the years through the study of psychology, and reading of philosophy, and my own experiences to answer the OP question.

All other suggestions, refutes or additions are welcome.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/24/11 06:05 PM

I personally feel that there are several different ways in which we can experience thoughts...

This is curious... could you expand?

This would be difficult to put into words.

I've been studying and practicing various different techniques in meditations, dreamwork, shamanic journeying, and the art of creating spiritual thought-forms.

These various techniques require quite a bit of background. It's not something that can be easily be explained in a few words. In fact, I'm not sure if it can be explained in words at all. These are techniques that basically need to be practiced and experienced.

About the only thing I can actually share about this in words is to say that I have learned that I have far more psychic ability than I had previously realized. If the term "psychic" conjures up idea of the supernatural just replace the term with consciousness. I have far more conscious abilities than I had previously realized.

To try to explain these experiences in words would be a truly futile endeavor.

Abra, I don't want to speak for you in any way but I do see something in your words >>"...are several different ways in which we can experience thoughts."<< that is familiar to me, it's called 'state of mind'.

Although some may equate state of mind with physiological brain wave responses (alpha, beta, delta),which can often be detected during deep meditation, there are also other states of mind which often stem from emotion or deeply focused concentration or simply lack of awareness.

Lack of awareness is the state of mind in which thinking is below the level of conscious awareness. When we sleep, our dreams often include inforamtion or cognition that was accrued dureing the day just below the leve of conscious awareness.

Abra, do you think that I may have stumbled onto a partial explanation for your idea >>"...are several different ways in which we can experience thoughts."<< ??

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/24/11 05:47 PM

Yes Di... all good points, as we both know, people can obliterate the meaning of a word or concept through misuse.

:tongue:

laugh laugh yea :wink:

Ok guess I'll check out one of your new threads.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 07/24/11 05:44 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sun 07/24/11 05:46 PM
laugh

We are innately capable.

--

We look out into the world and form thought/belief about that which we're looking at. We wonder what it is. We perceive that which is there(whatever that is and wherever there is). We detect subtleties about these objects of perception. We look. We wonder. We touch. We taste. We autonomously feed this external stimuli into our physiological being through our central nervous system. Complex thoughts, simple thoughts begin their formation; they begin to expand our mental activities beyond the limits of physical sensibilities. This can lead to pretentiousness, as we see in all confident young children who've yet to have become aware of their fallibility. These simple thoughts/belief begin to combine and create new ones. We call those original ideas.

This is a synopsis of how we learn things, and hold them as true. This is the framework that we all share. Holding them as true begins to form a basis for comparison. We measure, we weigh... old and new with what has already been accepted as true, as being the case, as being they way thing are.

That is how it works... in the abstract that is.

bigsmile

Wow, I like it, I agree with it and I'm impressed with how easily and compactly you have explained how thoughts/belief become the foundation through which we compare & contrast new inforamtion and create new cognitive constructs. laugh

(NOTE: my use of cognitive constructs in my previous post) :wink: