Community > Posts By > Shoku

Shoku's photo
Fri 11/20/09 03:53 PM

What's a life stream?

...are viruses not alive because they're not connected to that?

The earth has a lot of water on it circulating from the sky to streams and rivers and the ocean to the sky. But it is all water.

A particular river may flow from a particular lake or pond in the mountains.

A life stream is a separate stream of life (spirit) that flows from its source, which is a conscious pool of life or an entity.

A virus has its own life stream and its own source.

Each species has its own life stream and its own source. Some call these sources the "over soul."

Eventually all streams flow from one over-all source.

You body's blood pumps from your lungs and heart. Your blood is the life source for your body.

Water is also a life source.

Spirit is also a life source.

So that means a virus IS alive?
Does the virus not fall apart until it's stream has been disrupted?

Shoku's photo
Fri 11/20/09 07:55 AM
This leaves the interesting question of what reason there could be to behave morally if our bodies are not even a part of us so much as something we're using.

Shoku's photo
Thu 11/19/09 06:41 PM

So after have damaged the brain of your body what words would you use to describe what happens to that unit? Is it still connected? Did it leave? Is it like the plug is all loosely connected and giving a crappy signal?

That's a good question. From an observers perspective it would seem that person has been changed, destroyed or damaged. And indeed 'that person" or character has.

But I believe the real self is not the body, but the spirit or soul.

Is it still in there or did it leave? I would say it is still in there. Some sort of life stream is still connected or else the body would die.
What's a life stream?

...are viruses not alive because they're not connected to that?

If you lost two legs can you still walk? Not until you get artificial legs or learn to walk with your hands.

If you are totally paralyzed can you still think? Probably.

Whatever your physical limitations are, you adapt, live out your life and then die.

Then you can incarnate into your next life.

If you don't believe that, then okay.... you just die.

But in the mean time, you do the best you can with what you have left.

That is life.

I can understand a player having to control a paraplegic character differently but if you mess up the prefrontal cortex the personality takes a big hit in rationality and shifts way over to emotional. If you can change a character that much why would it even matter if someone was a the controls?

Shoku's photo
Thu 11/19/09 05:58 AM

So let me put it this way.

Where does the “character” go when it dies? Well, since it’s an integral part of the game (i.e. the game is really just bits in the computer and the character is a subset of that) the character doesn’t really “go” anywhere. Those memory locations just get reused. Just like the components of our bodies are a subset of the components of the universe and get reused.

I'm an organ donor so I don't think the pieces that make me or memory positions that store me are me. I'm a combination or a pattern- wipe that away and I'm gone; take the pieces apart and they're just generic pieces.
This is the key point to the whole philosophy: it starts with the postulate that "self" is a single, indivisible, independent unit, not "a pattern" or a "combination" or an "emergent property". I has no "pieces" to "take apart".

Now unless you are able to comprehend that single, most fundamental concept of the whole philosophy, then all the extrapolations and corollaries and conclusions based on that concept will be equally incomprehensible.
Are you saying that I understand it or that I don't?
Neither. I’m saying that it is necessary to understand it in order to understand the rest of my philosophy.

I'm obviously made of pieces because if you take just a few of them away you can change who I am but as that's the change I'd not longer be me but rather someone else. There's a fuzzy line between how I grow into being someone else all the time and how just switching who I am would be something drastically different but I don't think that's a line anyone doesn't intuitively understand well enough.
That’s fine. I understand that opinion and recognize that it is shared by many. I just have a different opinion.
Different in what ways?
I know myself to be a single, independent, indivisible unit, separate from "the body" or "the mind". Take it from there.
If I gave you a lobotomy would that be an act of replacing you with a dumber yet similar being or would I have just taken something away from the indivisible unit?
Neither.

Referring back to ...
This is the key point to the whole philosophy: it starts with the postulate that "self" is a single, indivisible, independent unit, not "a pattern" or a "combination" or an "emergent property". I has no "pieces" to "take apart".

You can't give a lobotomy to a single, independent, indivisble unit.
So after have damaged the brain of your body what words would you use to describe what happens to that unit? Is it still connected? Did it leave? Is it like the plug is all loosely connected and giving a crappy signal?

Shoku's photo
Thu 11/19/09 12:02 AM

I think James should create his own spiritual foundation. He would have a huge amount of people to follow him. drinker

Jeannie also! I think you are pretty good at it also!laugh

Just pop into a Scientology church prepared to take the place over n_n

*they train to not lose their cool against people's usual arguments but I suspect they'd be vulnerable to someone playing along with the belief.

Actually they get upset, but not to your face. I know I tried it. Their concepts were so unusual that I could not tell when they were testing me or not. Apparently I failed but was unaware until my 'friend', who got me in to start with, said he had to take some guff for it and I was no longer welcome. Not sure what that meant but he said he was considering leaving the organization anyway. hahaha.. We lost contact many years ago, I do hope he found an alternatvie that gave him some peace. He was a good guy.

Di, I don't think you could ever fake your way into Scientology. The minute you would open your mouth you would give your self away. No offense... laugh :tongue:
Well to play along you'd need to be organized. They want you to pay your way in after all.

Shoku's photo
Thu 11/19/09 12:00 AM

They haven't yet shown that a physical universe even exists.

Yeh, they keep looking for a way to measure quanta.laugh
Well if you don't think it exists you shouldn't have any problem with me stabbing your relatives and loved ones with a physical knife, as it would be fake and do nothing to them were it not real.

So do you think there's not a physical universe?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 11:58 PM

Abra said:
Well, not only that, but listen to their argument:

"This universe follows absolute precise and perfect laws of impeccible logic that cannot be denied and are never wrong! And it does this purely by happenstance!"

Actually I even found that to be funny - then I though, how would it sound put another way.

"This universe follows absolute precise and perfect laws of impeccible logic that cannot be denied and are never wrong!" That can only mean it was designed by some entity to be perfect.

Now Abra, what do you see in this universe that is flawless and has been perfectly replicated (by design)?

I don't hold that it needs to be logical by our way of thinking, this is why I'm open to ideas that may seem to be illogical by conventional thinking.

Just the same, I think it seems ironic to claim that an explanation of a purely happenstance universe would need to be logical. The very fact that it would hold to logic automatically implies that it's not happenstance.
Finally! Thank you!
Yes it's logical and no it's not happenstance. I'm so glad- well crud, I'd better read the rest first.

So once we allow the possiblity that it goes beyond logic then we enter the possibility of spiritual or non-physical explanations.

Yet, if we disallow the possiblitiy that it goes beyond logic then we are also disallowing happenstance.

So I guess what I'm actually trying to say is that logic can't be used to pull itself up by its own bootstraps.

In other words, to demand that the universe must adhere to strict logic whilst simultaneously demanding that it's happenstance is an oxymoronic claim to begin with doncha think?
Not as direct as I was worried about but I think I still have to do this anyway.

In other words, to demand that the designer must adhere to strict logic whilst simultaneously demanding that it's happenstance is an oxymoronic claim to begin with doncha think?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 11:54 PM

Where does the “character” go when it dies? Well, since it’s an integral part of the game (i.e. the game is really just bits in the computer and the character is a subset of that) the character doesn’t really “go” anywhere. Those memory locations just get reused. Just like the components of our bodies are a subset of the components of the universe and get reused.

I'm an organ donor so I don't think the pieces that make me or memory positions that store me are me. I'm a combination or a pattern- wipe that away and I'm gone; take the pieces apart and they're just generic pieces.

Now unless you are able to comprehend that single, most fundamental concept of the whole philosophy, then all the extrapolations and corollaries and conclusions based on that concept will be equally incomprehensible.
Neither. I’m saying that it is necessary to understand it in order to understand the rest of my philosophy.

I'm obviously made of pieces because if you take just a few of them away you can change who I am but as that's the change I'd not longer be me but rather someone else. There's a fuzzy line between how I grow into being someone else all the time and how just switching who I am would be something drastically different but I don't think that's a line anyone doesn't intuitively understand well enough.
That’s fine. I understand that opinion and recognize that it is shared by many. I just have a different opinion.
Different in what ways?
I know myself to be a single, independent, indivisible unit, separate from "the body" or "the mind". Takeit from there.
If I gave you a lobotomy would that be an act of replacig you with a dumber yet similar being or would I have just taking something away from the indivisible unit?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 11:53 PM

Shoku wrote:

So is that a "definitely not" about demons then?

The only demons I ever met were just as human as me but not nearly as nice. :wink:

I just met one the other day on these forums. He threatened to beat my arse to validate his overblown ego I guess. laugh

I'm in far more agreement with Sky's philosophy that you might think. Pantheism is a difficult concept to grasp, it's also difficult to understand the fine lines between pantheism and solipsism. The whole idea of "many-in-one" is difficult for us to grasp from our singular vantage points.
Unlike most of the people you seem to meet I've not just taken a peak at Hinduism and those others but actually tried to grasp the meanings of those religions. I've had some guidance and guided myself.

So basically I'm saying it's not as distant a concept for me as you're making it sound.

Now, as I've told JB my understanding how to solve the puzzle myself doesn't have anything to do with your solving the puzzle. I'm not asking you to help me figure it out, I'm just asking you to show that you've put enough thought into these things that you might have something to show me.

Well that and calling you on bad science but you know that drill by now.

I understand your idea of us being an "emergent property". I personally find extreme difficulties with that concept as well.
You shouldn't after I explained that emergent properties were really properties of the smallest levels and that we just assign them higher because we can't keep track of a google particles just to talk about something like pottery.

Even so, it seems to me that even if we are "emergent properties" that suggests some underlying structure that can emerge into such things.
I'd say suggest was too subtle a word for something I directly said -_-;

It certainly doesn't suffice as an 'explantion' that satisfies my curiousity. They idea of such intricate complex patterns emerging by "pure chance"
**** you. Your belief is the one that's random nonsense chance and I'm going to start saying that every time you insist I've ever been talking about us coming from random chance. It's not a good argument technique but I'm through validating you by spending any effort thinking of new ways to tell you I'm sick of you replacing my argument with that fake one so you can knock it over easily.

does not seem to be to be anything that should be expected from pure chaos.
Ya, that randomly "just nonsensically there" designer sure doesn't seem like anything we should have expected.

You accept the concept of natural processes, but everything that would be required for all of those things to fall into place would themselves need to be random happenstance.
You accept the concept of designers, but everything that would be required for all of them to fall into place would themselves need to be random happenstance.

So no amount of reference to "Natural Processes" can negate the initial requirement that everything that led up to that necessarily had to be "pure chance" in the first place.

So no amount of reference to "A Designer" can negate the initial requirement that everything that led up to it/them necessarily had to be "pure chance" in the first place.

This is why I say that we are either the produce of happenstance, or we aren't. There can be no middle of the road, because even "Natural Processes" would have had to ultimately have been the result of random chance events.

We are either the result of random chance events, or there's something deeper going on.
So now "anything deeper than random chance" is the same thing as "an intelligent designer"?

I've already shown that there are other options. I haven't given a particularly long list but should I have to give ten or fifty options to show there are more than two or does just a third show that two wasn't enough?

Since our understanding of the true nature of reality is quite sketchy I see no reason to favor pure random chance over something deeper. And that "something deeper" could indeed be some form of non-physical consciousness that brings everything that is seemingly physical into being.
Since our understanding of the true nature of reality is quite sketchy I see no reason to favor pure random designer over something deeper. And that "something deeper" could indeed be some form of non-physical process that brings everything that is seemingly physical into being.

So it's just as intelligent to consider either possibility.

They both hold equally valid merit. And thus there is no reason to hold one out as a "default conclusion" over the other.
This has always been my annoyance with agnostic views. "The Earth was created in a week or has been around for billions of years. These options seem completely equal to me so I can't choose."

It feels like that's just "I haven't really looked into the issue."

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 12:53 PM

Different in what ways?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 12:51 PM

I think James should create his own spiritual foundation. He would have a huge amount of people to follow him. drinker

Jeannie also! I think you are pretty good at it also!laugh

Just pop into a Scientology church prepared to take the place over n_n

*they train to not lose their cool against people's usual arguments but I suspect they'd be vulnerable to someone playing along with the belief.

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 12:50 PM

JB wrote:

Nice picture James.

You really should have been a preacher. You could have made a fortune. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Its a great racket. You would be good at it if you didn't mind being a hypocrite.

Everyone always tells me that if were arguing for the Bible instead of against it I'd be converting large masses of people every day. laugh

But like you say, it truly is a racket, and one that I could never be morally comfortable with.
Oh wow, you were being sarcastic. I sort of saw it in that but didn't think you were the type.

So is that a "definitely not" about demons then?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 12:48 PM

Shoku wrote:

I'm thinking I'm finding another similarity between you three- but before I go blabbing what I think it is, do you believe in demons of the hell variety?

We have no choice but to believe in demons of the hell variety. It says right in the Bible that Jesus cast evil demons out of people who had been possessed by them. So there can be no question that they exist.
I question the Bible.

In particular why can't we think that that was metaphorical?

Jesus never lies. He is perfect and without sin. No other human is without sin except for his virgin Mother Mary. She was the only mortal to ever achieve a perfectly sinless life. All the rest of us deserve to be cast into the eternal hell-fire for our evil sinful ways.
No, that would be the eternity we have earned in accordance with the covenant with Abraham. We deserve better so the Jesus dieing for our sins thing was a reforging of the pact so that we could drop the physical laws and work on their spiritual counterparts that people had been too blind to recognize.

However, know this! God loved us so much that he sent His Only Begotten Son to be nailed to a pole to wash away our sins with his holy sacrificial blood. Those who accept this blood-bath of pure heavenly mercy, and confess that Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, will be saved from the horrible fate they so rightfully deserve. Instead of being cast into the eternal fire of damnation they will be permitted to enter into the Kingdom of God and forever wallow at the feet of Jesus in perfect servitude as eternal repentance for their shame.

Pray with me brother:
If not for having described it as "nailed to a pole" I would think you were a copy&paste jerk throwing a wall of text at me without the courtesy of typing it up yourself.

If you didn't grab this from someone else I can tell that you at least derive your fatih from a Catholic view though.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Please forgive these atheistic scientists who believe they are the cousins of monkeys, for they know not what they think. They have been corrupted and blinded by the evil demon of Satan's science. We are working hard to bring these lost sheep into the light of your everlasting love of pure righteous and mercy. Please give us a bit more time as some of them seem to be coming around. They are asking questions about demons of the hell variety. This shows that they are at least curious to learn of how they too can be saved from eternal damnation and find their way into the eternal servitude of your Heavenly Kingdom.

So please Lord, work with us on this one, we're trying hard to help you save these blind misguided souls.

Amen

Dear Heavenly Father,
I reject the holy spirit. I rejected it roughly a decade ago.

Well shoot, according to Matthew 12:31-32 it's too late for me.

Now, if you don't accept that Jesus could have been speaking literally (asked above) I'm curious as to why you're alright with thinking "God's dirt" could organize itself into life. Genesis speaks of quite a different origin and Jesus never revised that. Are you alright revising the Bible so long as it isn't recounting the words of Jesus?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 12:34 PM

Other realities:

To give an example, an astral body is not considered to be "physical." There is also an "astral" reality.

But this is not necessarily to be considered a separate "universe" as it is actually part of and very connected to this physical universe.

As far as I know, our physical (popular and public) science has not recognized the astral world and astral "material" as even being "real."

Therefor, a discussion about them with someone who insists on remaining within the boundary of physical science would be quite pointless.

fine. then i'll consider that you are bowing out of our exchange of views.

No, you did when you made the rules that our exchange of views should stay inside the boundaries you defined as "known science" and the physical world, and then you asked if there was a non-physical universe. How, after that, could I possibly proceed?
[/quote
If the Astra plane is part of our universe why can't anyone show that? Even if humans were the only vessel capable of connecting with it we should still be able to do tests and things to show they were having some kind of impact.

I have asserted that we cannot rule out intelligent design in this universe and I have asserted that there are many designers and I have asserted that even we are designers.
Nobody is asking if we are designers. Intelligent design refers exclusively to design prior to life on Earth.

Trying to make it refer to designs we make is like trying to make celebrity refer to the stars in the sky.

I see how governments are run, I see how corporations are run, I see how the world is run and if that is the way it is in this reality, then I can only assume that is the way it is everywhere else, and even in the place people might call "heaven."
People usually designate the bureaucracy to hell or at least the lowewr tiers of their afterlife model.

It is also known that I have not ruled out that non-human intelligent life probably exists in this galaxy and probably on this earth. Some of these creatures may well look and act like 'demons.'
I'm specifically talking about where they come from. If it's just a planet going around some other star I'd call that alien but if they have crawled out from something like the astral shadow of this particular planet they would be demons.

If they're just what people in the past called demons but they classify as aliens as per the above I would say that demons were made up in some ways and misinterpreted in others. So basically not real but with some basis in reality.

Is this well enough agreeing with your thoughts on the matter?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 05:59 AM

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 05:55 AM

JB wrote:

The joke cannot cause the smile. If that were the case then everyone who ever heard that same joke would have no choice but to smile.

This is what you are offering as evidence to support your objection?

"The joke cannot cause the smile," because "if that were the case, then everyone who ever heard that same joke would have no choice but to smile?"

huh

How does my smiling at a joke depend upon or necessitate that? Those things are in no way dependent upon nor indicative of one another.

Very simple. To claim that a joke "caused you to smile" is not taking responsibility for your own participation and decisions in the matter or for your personal feelings. Its like claiming that another person caused you to be unhappy, or angry. It is the beginning of blaming everyone and everything else for all of your own personal reactions to things.

"He made me angry and I shot him, but its not my fault because he made me angry."

Take responsibility. Take some credit. Your 'sense of humor' caused you to smile. You could just as well have been insulted by that joke. It depends on how your mind works.

Some jokes are funny to some people and not funny to other people.

True. How does that fact support your objection? It seems to be further evidence for mine, because...

That is why different jokes cause different people to smile.

No it is different unique interpretations, decisions and sense of humor that cause the smile, not the jokes. It is the different reactions (thoughts) that cause the smile.

You assertion that a joke causes a smile is absurd.

I stand by that statement.

Without the joke, the smile was not.

Define 'absurd'. I can garauntee you that it does not mean 'differs from JB's opinion'.

Show me how it is absurd.

Absurd: It is ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous.

So if I pull one level and get treasure we can't say my pulling the lever caused that because other levers might drop me through a trap door in the floor. The lever needs to take responsibility for it's personal feelings?

Shoku's photo
Wed 11/18/09 05:50 AM

I found something interesting:

The most extensive analysis yet undertaken of the structure and contents of the universe conclusively proves the universe was created not by a single entity, as has been widely suggested, but by “a fractious and disorganized committee or committees given to groupthink and petty infighting”, according to Drs. Karl Pootle and Yumble Frick, co-authors of the study. The analysis is expected to have profound implications on the theoretical underpinnings of many popular religions….

“Biodiversity is the primary stumbling block,” said Dr. Pootle. “Whoever created this cacophony of species would have had to be infinitely powerful and infinitely creative, but also infinitely schizophrenic to come up with the myriad different solutions to identical problems that the creators of the universe have. Either that, or we’re looking at a different kind of process altogether”….

“If you’re one guy designing a universe, why come up with twenty different ways of tackling the same issue?” Pootle said. “If you’re omnipotent, presumably you know perfectly well whatever the one solution is that will work best, and you go with that. The fact that the world obviously doesn’t work that way is what led us first to the committee theory. The plants and animals that inhabit the Earth show the kinds of random and incoherent thinking that can only otherwise be found in the products of design committees where there’s a lot of CYA and turf protection going on.”

http://www.avantnews.com/news/200217-study-proves-universe-created-by-committee

rofl
rofl
rofl

Actually, I think I might have contemplated this possibility if it had been an option when I was 11 and getting into trouble in confirmation class. laugh

The most extensive analysis yet undertaken of the structure and contents of the universe conclusively proves the universe was created not by a single entity, as has been widely suggested, but by “a fractious and disorganized committee or committees given to groupthink and petty infighting”,

This falls in line with my world view of how the universe was created or manifested for sure.

Not only that but the "petty infighting" is rampant.

What would make anyone think that "heaven" was a peaceful place when our world (a manifestation of theirs) is not?

Look at the way governments are run. Same thing. Large companies and corporations. Same thing. It is the nature of the beast..(the universe.)

I'm thinking I'm finding another similarity between you three- but before I go blabbing what I think it is, do you believe in demons of the hell variety?

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 05:33 PM

I’m not interested in discussing personal moral views in this thread. It’s way too far off topic.
Personal moral views are of paramount importance if we're discussing the subjective.
Depending on what you mean by “discussing the subjective” I may or may not agree. But in any case I don’t consider I have been “discussing the subjective” here , any more than I would if I were discussing a computer game.

Here are some quotes:
Well yes, that wold be true, since aesthetics are wholly subjective

I’d just like to see more focus on how the subjective affects the objective.

The fundamental problem, as I see it, is that up until very recently (the last few decades), the last few centuries of “scientific” investigation have been steadily and purposefully moving toward a position that completely excludes the single most important factor in all of life – the “subjective”.

So are you now saying that it's not an extremely important factor in life (the game) that influences it's very nature and by which we should (possibly exclusively,) evaluate the game?

As I've said the universe is expanding out to heat death. Eventually any new "players" would start with nothing to work with unless they were lucky in which case they might get a single particle.
If/when that happens, then I guess you and everyone else, as co-creators/co-players will have to start a new game – if you still want to play.
-_-;
As I've been saying the game turns into a bland purgatory. Isn't there any way to not just sign out of the game but turn ourselves off as well?
I think I see the problem here. You’re identifying “character” with “player” (a common mistake).
You told me we don't start over from nothing when we reincarnate so that would either be the same character placed elsewhere or the player goes making his character do things it couldn't have otherwise known about.

But the player/creator does not “die”. He is eternal as far as the game is concerned.
"As far as the game is concerned" is a bad way to look at things when we're talking about if the game is perfect or not. As far as any game is concerned it's perfect- except maybe if it contains any information stating it's a piece of junk or something.

So I don’t even know what it would mean for an eternal being to “turn himself off”.
You talked about playing a different game. I'm comparing that to playing different characters in the same game and after long enough playing these games should become a horrible existence. Everything should be so infinity is really just a trap.

I'm try to lead this into the bigger question of how we get out of the trap.

“How could an eternal being ‘turn itself off’?” Answer that question and you’ll have the answer to yours.
Take itself out of all of eternity. Erase itself past present and future.

I can't find where they tell me how they made their "Psyleron true random event generator." For patent purposes I could understand them not giving a schematic of the thing but you can say well enough how a nuclear power plant generates electricity without telling someone everything they need to build one.

I want to know if these things are "random" in that they're measuring radioactive decay. Showing that human thought could alter the rate of radioactive decay would be pretty huge news.

I did hear "quantum electric field" in there somewhere but they've only used it as a technobabble diversion as far as I've seen. I'd like for that to not be the case but I can't find what I need to make it anything more.
The PEAR site (http://www.princeton.edu/~pear) has a lot of papers online at http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/pdfs

This one http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/pdfs/2007-JSE-Runlength.pdf goes into fair detail about how there device is calibrated and the math used in the statistical properties of it’s output.
So they don't check baseline very often and sometimes the baseline goes past the limits they've defined for nonrandom behavior- doesn't that make it not-random to begin with?

I recall running across a more detailed physical description of the REG, but I don’t remember where. All I can remember off the top of my head were some references to thermal noise. And I’m almost positive they were not measuring radioactive decay. Although I seem to recall something about quantum randomity.
Quantum stuff is hard enough to measure as it is- we have giant contraptions concentrated on doing so so that little box isn't directly measuring anything like what the word quantum makes us think of (else you would have to wait years between each cycle of numbers if it was tip top in ability to sense these things per it's size.

Note that the REG is not the only device used in the experiments. One of them was a “balls dropping through a pegboard into buckets” type, to produce a probability curve. I also read some references to fluid motions and even some investigations in to crude “robot control”. But I don’t recall the details. If you’re interested you can scan through all their stuff at the PEAR website through the above links.
I looked through a bunch but couldn't find any others that gave any actual data.

That’s the best I can do for now.
Well Google has informed me that other groups can't replicate the results so as of right now it looks like they don't just have bad methodology but that it was a hoax. There's still room to vindicate them in the future but as of right now the outlook is grim.

But you're saying it's one that we "get to" play forever?
Like any other game, you play it for as long as you want or not at if you don’t want.
So what does it mean when you say the game is perfect? Is any game not perfect?
I didn’t say it was perfect. I said it was about as close to perfect as I could imagine and I gave the reasons why. That’s the meaning.
What does "close to perfect" mean? How would any game not be close to perfect?

And from that perspective, I don’t know of any human-created game that comes anywhere near that perfection – by many, many orders of magnitude.

After reading your reply about “respawn points”, I think that would be a perfect analogy for reincarnation. You “die” and then “come back to life”. So you can go through as many lives/respawns as you want.
Naw, you respawn with the general equipment you were wearing and at least basic guns, though with a relatively small amount of ammo.

What's really important though is that it's on the same map and you go right back to the task you were working on before dieing until the end of the match. If you start up a whole new match that's "just spawning."
Ok, so the analogy gets a little fuzzy in that area, as all analogies eventually do in some area.

Ya, "real life doesn't have any respawn points" is a joke but I knew it wasn't going to be funny after I had to explain what those were.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 04:30 PM
I spent too much time around 4chan
---------) . (-----------
just reminds me of goatse DDD:
*one frowning mouth wasn't enough but three seemed like about the right number.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 02:00 PM
Edited by Shoku on Tue 11/17/09 02:01 PM

I’m not interested in discussing personal moral views in this thread. It’s way too far off topic.
Personal moral views are of paramount importance if we're discussing the subjective.

So do you want to go back to your “unimaginable cruelty” issue regarding the game?
What is there to ask?

As I've said the universe is expanding out to heat death. Eventually any new "players" would start with nothing to work with unless they were lucky in which case they might get a single particle.
If/when that happens, then I guess you and everyone else, as co-creators/co-players will have to start a new game – if you still want to play.

-_-;
As I've been saying the game turns into a bland purgatory. Isn't there any way to not just sign out of the game but turn ourselves off as well?

I can't find where they tell me how they made their "Psyleron true random event generator." For patent purposes I could understand them not giving a schematic of the thing but you can say well enough how a nuclear power plant generates electricity without telling someone everything they need to build one.

I want to know if these things are "random" in that they're measuring radioactive decay. Showing that human thought could alter the rate of radioactive decay would be pretty huge news.

I did hear "quantum electric field" in there somewhere but they've only used it as a technobabble diversion as far as I've seen. I'd like for that to not be the case but I can't find what I need to make it anything more.

But you're saying it's one that we "get to" play forever?
Like any other game, you play it for as long as you want or not at if you don’t want.
So what does it mean when you say the game is perfect? Is any game not perfect?

After reading your reply about “respawn points”, I think that would be a perfect analogy for reincarnation. You “die” and then “come back to life”. So you can go through as many lives/respawns as you want.
Naw, you respawn with the general equipment you were wearing and at least basic guns, though with a relatively small amount of ammo.

What's really important though is that it's on the same map and you go right back to the task you were working on before dieing until the end of the match. If you start up a whole new match that's "just spawning."

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 20 21