Community > Posts By > Shoku

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 01:46 PM

No one believes me but this is really the evidence for a designer

---------) . (-----------

Yes that little dot is the evidence of how everything started.

Now stare at it for a good 3 minutes and say 'oooooooooooohhhh'

laugh drinker
That dot is not nearly hot enough.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 12:34 PM

is there a universe that is not the physical universe?

That would depend on how you want to define or understand the term "universe."

fair nuff. in that case i'd like to define the term "universe" as it is understood by the physical sciences as it is the only universe that is supported by physical evidence. there being no evidence to suggest the existence of other universes.

Then I will concede that there is only one "physical" universe that I know of, under your restrictions of "physical science."

But if you recall, your question was "Is there a universe that is not the physical universe."

Yes, I believe there is.--No, I can't prove it.

I imagine that "Reality" exists in many different frequencies. "Physical" is within a certain frequency. Yes, I imagine there are other "realities" that are not physical that exist in different frequencies. Whether they are part of the same "universe" I would not know.

firstly, imagination is imagination. reality is reality. secondly, i'm confused with your use of the word "frequency" here. frequency as in reoccuring? radio? electrical? sound? cannot comment without understanding what you refer to.

(First "Reality" is what we collectively decide it is, but lets not get into that discussion.)

Frequency is vibration. Light and sound, and all objects have frequency. It is a vibration. Everything in this physical reality has frequency.

But I imagine and it could be possible that other very different universes exist. And again it would depend on how you describe "universe."

well as you suggested that i define the term, let's talk possibilities with science upermost in mind. scientific methodology. evidence that can be tested using scientific methodology.

If that is what you want to do, then you are talking to the wrong person. I am not a scientist of that kind.

Just call me "delusional" and move on. You can learn nothing from me. Nothing at all.

But if you want to learn more about frequency as it relates to 'science' perhaps that is where you should look. Frequency (sound)weapons are being developed that can reek havoc on objects and on the mind.

Well we've already got some bullets that just make so much noise people in confined spaces fall over disoriented from it. I remember reading about them when the hunt for Osama seemed like they'd eventually get him.

Other realities:

To give an example, an astral body is not considered to be "physical." There is also an "astral" reality.

But this is not necessarily to be considered a separate "universe" as it is actually part of and very connected to this physical universe.

As far as I know, our physical (popular and public) science has not recognized the astral world and astral "material" as even being "real."

Therefor, a discussion about them with someone who insists on remaining within the boundary of physical science would be quite pointless.
Well psychologists do some tests to assess psychic powers. I've heard about a few that were positive but I haven't heard about any of those that held up. I know it seems kind of pissy to try really hard to find anything else that could have caused the results but if you want to really be sure you've seen astral plane stuff leeching into the rest of reality you have to do that.

Truth be told people try just as hard to disprove every new idea in science. The ones that it seems like nobody questions anymore are the ones that, try as they might, nobody could knock down. Because people tried so hard to discount that evidence but failed we can be that much more certain that we've found something genuine instead of just false positives.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 11:29 AM
I found something interesting:

The most extensive analysis yet undertaken of the structure and contents of the universe conclusively proves the universe was created not by a single entity, as has been widely suggested, but by “a fractious and disorganized committee or committees given to groupthink and petty infighting”, according to Drs. Karl Pootle and Yumble Frick, co-authors of the study. The analysis is expected to have profound implications on the theoretical underpinnings of many popular religions….

“Biodiversity is the primary stumbling block,” said Dr. Pootle. “Whoever created this cacophony of species would have had to be infinitely powerful and infinitely creative, but also infinitely schizophrenic to come up with the myriad different solutions to identical problems that the creators of the universe have. Either that, or we’re looking at a different kind of process altogether”….

“If you’re one guy designing a universe, why come up with twenty different ways of tackling the same issue?” Pootle said. “If you’re omnipotent, presumably you know perfectly well whatever the one solution is that will work best, and you go with that. The fact that the world obviously doesn’t work that way is what led us first to the committee theory. The plants and animals that inhabit the Earth show the kinds of random and incoherent thinking that can only otherwise be found in the products of design committees where there’s a lot of CYA and turf protection going on.”

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 11:05 AM
bogie

is there a universe that is not the physical universe?
[]

That would depend on how you want to define or understand the term "universe."

fair nuff. in that case i'd like to define the term "universe" as it is understood by the physical sciences as it is the only universe that is supported by physical evidence. there being no evidence to suggest the existence of other universes.

I imagine that "Reality" exists in many different frequencies. "Physical" is within a certain frequency. Yes, I imagine there are other "realities" that are not physical that exist in different frequencies. Whether they are part of the same "universe" I would not know.

firstly, imagination is imagination. reality is reality. secondly, i'm confused with your use of the word "frequency" here. frequency as in reoccuring? radio? electrical? sound? cannot comment without understanding what you refer to.

But I imagine and it could be possible that other very different universes exist. And again it would depend on how you describe "universe."

well as you suggested that i define the term, let's talk possibilities with science upermost in mind. scientific methodology. evidence that can be tested using scientific methodology.

I'm going to throw in some clarification to that. The definition of universe is that of a closed system. It is everything that interacts with anything that we interact extending out however many steps.
So if there is basically another Earth with intelligent life on it but all of the stars in their sky don't send out light to anything that could ever be a part of a chain that reaches us then they are not in our universe. If God reaches through some barrier and pokes a rock until it falls over God is part of the universe. If particles of light leave our universe to go into some eye of God then God is also part of our universe that way.

If you had a perfect box that didn't transfer any kind of energy through it's walls and the inner surface of it's walls had no interaction (direct or indirect,) with the outer surface of it's walls (redundant but I want to make sure the concept is clear,) and we were outside of the box and could see it or go up near it or whatever but had no way of having any kind of interaction with things inside the box the things inside that box would not be part of our universe.
You don't see anything like that because it there's no way to stop gravity from reaching into the box.
And even if there were how could you have a box where us pushing on the outside with enough force wouldn't move the whole box including the stuff inside of it?

But still, if you had a box that got around those problems the stuff inside it would be part of a different universe as per the definition.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 08:44 AM

Sky:
From my perspective, this universe looks like a good design by almost any standard I can think of – especially if one looks at it like a game.
Unimaginable cruelty is a good aspect of a game?
:laughing:
The most fundamental aspects of a game are “winning” and “losing”. Which are defined as succeeding or failing to overcome obstacles. And all games have degrees of difficulty – i.e. “How hard is it to overcome the obstacles.” And the difficulty of the obstacles are different throughout the game.

So “unimaginable cruelty” is nothing more than a personal assessment of the relationship between an obstacle and a player’s abilities – just like any other game.
Awfully cold of you. I don't think I could so heartlessly look such a person in te face and tell them they were just not succeeding at the game.
If you want to start getting personal, I'm done.
So you're not alright with looking at someone in the late stages of starving to death and saying this is just a game? Showing some empathy is a good thing. I'd say it's part of being a decent human being n_n
So it's alright for you to do but not anyone else. I get it.
Well no, I was praisingyou for having some compassion there, though that's on the assumption that you can't dismiss people's agony. Am I assuming correctly?

Sky:

Fix that phrase if you want me to accept that you meant what you just said.
That’s easy enough. I’ll just put it back the was it was before you altered it…

“unlimited supply of raw materials for individuals to shape new forms and plots to serve their own personal, functional and esthetic needs and desires”
There aren't unlimited raw materials for individuals to do those things.
If you say so.
As I've said the universe is expanding out to heat death. Eventually any new "players" would start with nothing to work with unless they were lucky in which case they might get a single particle.

Not only that, but (according to some beliefs) reincarnation itself is a personal mystery to be solved and when one does finally solve it, all the experiences of, and abilities gained in, past lives are unlocked and available in future lives.

And it even allows one to change the very rules of the game itself.
Who's ever changed action and reaction or that objects with mass exert an attractive force on each other?
I don’t know. But I do know that people have changed the output of Random Number Generators. So how would you classify that?
In what sense were they random in the first place?
Go to IRCL.org and see for yourself.
Says that's not a valid link.

Seriously though, I don’t agree with your assessment of what makes games fun. As I see it, what makes games (or anything else) “fun” is the personal satisfaction of overcoming barriers in the pursuit of a goal.
The barriers in a sandbox are understanding the rules. After that you exhaust your ideas quickly by either doing them or seeing that they can't work in that sandbox. Play Scribblenauts and tell me how many words you use throughout the course of the game.
I just have one question. Can you conceive of anyone every having a sandbox related goal, which would fit within the context of our discussion?
A lot of people do sandbox type things, that's why it's a flourishing genre at all. What I'm saying that an infinite game is not an infinitely enjoyable game.
I never said it was.
But you're saying it's one that we "get to" play forever? Or do we only go through like four or five lives and that's it?

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 06:22 AM

Sky:
From my perspective, this universe looks like a good design by almost any standard I can think of – especially if one looks at it like a game.
The most fundamental aspects of a game are “winning” and “losing”. Which are defined as succeeding or failing to overcome obstacles. And all games have degrees of difficulty – i.e. “How hard is it to overcome the obstacles.” And the difficulty of the obstacles are different throughout the game.

So “unimaginable cruelty” is nothing more than a personal assessment of the relationship between an obstacle and a player’s abilities – just like any other game.
Awfully cold of you. I don't think I could so heartlessly look such a person in te face and tell them they were just not succeeding at the game.
If you want to start getting personal, I'm done.
So you're not alright with looking at someone in the late stages of starving to death and saying this is just a game? Showing some empathy is a good thing. I'd say it's part of being a decent human being n_n

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 06:20 AM

JB

That’s easy enough. I’ll just put it back the was it was before you altered it…

“unlimited supply of raw materials for individuals to shape new forms and plots to serve their own personal, functional and esthetic needs and desires”
There aren't unlimited raw materials for individuals to do those things.

Not only that, but (according to some beliefs) reincarnation itself is a personal mystery to be solved and when one does finally solve it, all the experiences of, and abilities gained in, past lives are unlocked and available in future lives.

Who's ever changed action and reaction or that objects with mass exert an attractive force on each other?
I don’t know. But I do know that people have changed the output of Random Number Generators. So how would you classify that?
In what sense were they random in the first place?

Seriously though, I don’t agree with your assessment of what makes games fun. As I see it, what makes games (or anything else) “fun” is the personal satisfaction of overcoming barriers in the pursuit of a goal.
The barriers in a sandbox are understanding the rules. After that you exhaust your ideas quickly by either doing them or seeing that they can't work in that sandbox. Play Scribblenauts and tell me how many words you use throughout the course of the game.
I just have one question. Can you conceive of anyone every having a sandbox related goal, which would fit within the context of our discussion?

A lot of people do sandbox type things, that's why it's a flourishing genre at all. What I'm saying that an infinite game is not an infinitely enjoyable game.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/17/09 06:15 AM

Well ya but only because when I asked if you were saying we were our own designers you told me you weren't saying that.

Which is it? Are we or aren't we?

Show me where I said that.
That we're both or that we're not both?

A computer virus is not alive.

Why not? What does life have that it doesn't?

Life has will. Life has consciousness.How would you even know if a computer virus had those things?

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 07:01 PM

Shoku,

A computer virus is not alive.
Why not? What does life have that it doesn't?

*Many bacteria basically have a nose they use to steer themselves. Would you say moving towards something that smells like food is intelligent? That smelling it at all is conscious?

I would say so, yes.

If they help something stay alive and make babies like themselves where is there room for a designer? Staying alive isn't like auditioning and getting a rose so you go on to the next round; you either get enough food/water and avoid being killed or you don't.

Consciousness flows through them. Consciousness is the designer of them, and they contain consciousness. They and the designer are one.

This you will never get.
Well ya but only because when I asked if you were saying we were our own designers you told me you weren't saying that.

Which is it? Are we or aren't we?

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 06:45 PM

Sky:

It is infinitely varied, yet the elegance of its most fundamental operation is almost absurd in its simplicity. It exhibits a heart-stopping esthetic at all levels.
Isn't that just telling of our ability to make mundane things aesthetical?
Well yes, that wold be true, since aesthetics are wholly subjective. But then, I was simply stating my own subjective assessment of the game properties in the first place.
So if someone saw a picture of an ostrich with a flowing poking out of it's butt and exclaimed "brilliant!" wouldn't it start to become clear that aesthetics are kind of meaningless in this context? If we automatically just look at the range of what we see and label the high end of that range "profoundly aesthetic" won't aesthetic really only mean that people are present?

It is constantly changing at all levels, yet provides enough consistancy to allow players to amass great fortunes of whatever they deem valuable.
That's not something you want in design at all. A bridge with any important parts that constantly changes through a great deal of variety won't be able to support vehicles traveling over it and basically any program that changes at all levels is going to break almost immediately.
I’m talking about a game here, not a bridge. The purposes are completely different and thus the design criteria must be completely different. Form follows function.
Nobody likes a game that was an MMO one second and then the next there are a sponge in a fire.

Or at least they don't like if for more than a few minutes off of drugs. Games at least need a consistent rule about what they're doing.

It allows for virtually infinite possibilities of game<=>player and player<=>player interaction.

It provides an unlimited supply of raw materials for individuals to shape new forms and plots to serve their own personal, functional and esthetic needs and desires – whatever they may be and however they may change.
Earth is a lot more limited than that and we'd never have the fuel to move people or materials about the observable universe. Add in that as time passes less and less of the universe is within the bounds we could ever reach even going at light speed and you have a scenario of rapidly declining availability of such things.
I’m talking about the universe and eternity here, not just the fragile lifeforms on one tiny planet at the edge of a mediocre galaxy in the middle of who knows where. That’s only 1*10^-(very big number)% of the entire game.
"unlimited supply of raw materials for individuals"

It provides a virtually limitless supply of built-in, hidden, and progressively difficult mysteries to solve.

Even the characters themselves have built-in mysteries to solve and abilities to be gained. If you believe in the concept of “reincarnation” it affords an unlimited supply of “lives”.
Not lives like you see in any game I've actually seen produced. That's more akin to selecting "new game" than having extra lives.
Well ok, so that’s your view of how reincarnation fits in with the entire game. But that’s why I said “belief”. Not all beliefs in reincarnation are the same.
So then you would say Earth is the starting area and after we're kicked out of it the real game starts?

Yes it’s true that “the universe game” is not exactly like other games. But then no game is exactly like any other game.
Most games are almost exact copies of other games with a new label slapped on it and some redone artwork. Game design has had very little innovation since the earliest genres were set up.

Sizable memory card/space though so we could at least conclude that we were more likely a computer game than a console game~
Yeah, that’s a workable analogy – to a point.
It was at least as good as your reincarnation being extra lives thing.

I dunno about you but that’s about as close to the perfect game design as I can possibly imagine. biggrin
Sand box games are only fun until you understand the rules behind them. Then they become tedious and you want to find a different game to play unless you're up for grinding out some annoying achievements.
Tell that to a five-year-old. :laughing:
"You will eventually get tired of playing with that sand. Roughly about when you know how to control it."

So of course if your only goal is “to understand the rules”, then once that goal is achived, there is no more fun. But “understanding the rules” is not the only goal anyone could ever have. But if one’s goal is to, for example, win duels with other players,
How many people do you know that have dueled anyone for fun?
then the “rules” include the unpredictable actions of those other players. Or if the game has some sort of “random” events, then a complete understanding of all ther rules is not possible because “randomity” is part of the rules.
The random events have to give you something or you get the same reward from experiencing them as you would from imagining them and if you can just imagine it all you don't need the game anymore.

And not only that, but one can set a goal, achive it, and then set the same goal again and achieve it - repeatedly. So in that sense, ever a simple “sand box game” can be fun over and over.
Achieving the same goal over and over would make life like the original Super Mario Brothers. You run around and jump on the evil brown mushrooms while eating the red spotted ones and rescuing the mushroom hats guys and eventually princess from a spiky turtle and it's neat the first time and the second and third but eventually you've got it all memorized. It would turn into a hellish existence if you had to keep doing it over and over.

Ultimately reincarnation as extra lives must eventually become such an experience. Most of us recognize that carnal pleasure is a fundamentally empty experience in forty to sixty years and in about half as many years we recognize that serving a community isn't anything that would keep us happy indefinitely either.

People think about and often wish they could do life over but think about it- how many times would you really want to go through being an awkward teenager? You may look back on it with fond memories but that's looking back; only douchebags were really very well off in high school.

And potty training? It's bad enough going back to diapers at the end of a long life but having to do it infinitely many times would be utterly wretched.

But that’s just my own personal assessment. I guess anyone can see it as good or bad according to their own assesment criteria.
I'd be happier with the game if they hadn't left out respawn points~
I don’t play any games that use the term, so I don’t really know what it means. But if I did, I’m sure I’d probably agree. biggrin
It's mostly the shooters where you fight other players. They kill you and then about ten second later you pop up at a respawn point if it's a mode where you can die multiple times. Usually in those it's a set amount of time and you try to get more points than the other team.

I agree that it often takes a lot of work and insight to gain an understanding of some peoples perspectives – simply because they can be so different.

But I consider that every perspective/viewpoint/belief system has inherent consistency. Whether or not I consider that consistency to be “logical” is irrelevant. It simply is what it is. And what matters most to me is how closely another system aligns with my own.
How can contradictions be consistent?
You seem to be “consistently contradictory”. (Just kidding – mostly. :wink:drinker)

Seriously though, ask a quantum physicist how non-locality and general relativity can be consistent, and then use that answer.

(Hint: We don’t know how they can be consisten. We just assume that they are in some unknown fashion. And we work at finding the missing link in our understanding of them – or not.)
Actually no. We know full well that both are "wrong."

The Earth is flat is wrong. The Earth is pretty close to flat and no matter how far you walked you wouldn't notice the curve but if you're standing at the ocean you can see ships sink below the horizon a certain distance out.
So the Earth is a sphere but that's wrong too. There Earth is spinning and much of it's surface is water so it bulges at the equator.
Naturally you can tell that I'm going to say "sphere that bulges at the center" is wrong as well. The northern hemisphere has a lot more land so the tidal bulge of water is stronger in the south.

At this point we've gone down to a level of detail where almost nobody would care about the now tiny deviations from the general statement but we know that the general statement is just that: general. If you look into smaller and smaller details none of our descriptions tell the whole story. F=ma tells about 90% of the story and relativity tells all of that and about 90% of what was left and quantum gravity will probably tell about 90% of what was left and so on.

So personally, I find that from what I understand of Abra’s and Jeannie’s belief systems, they are the ones (in this forum) that most closely align with my own belief system. Thus, I tend to understand them better than other’s who hold to a more conflicting belief system.

drinker

I think it's more the way they describe them than what they're actually describing that you align with.
I don’t. I think it’s the other way around. I think it is the fact that the overall viewpoints align, which allows me to better understand the description of those specific pats of the viewpoints. Think of it in the sense of “cultural similarities”. If you grew up in the same culture as someone else, it is easier to understand their expression of ideas that are common to that culture.
But JB says there is order without a God and abra says there could be no order without a God. Abra says there are only 100 atoms and JB says we're part of our designer.

The similarity seems to only be that you all use the word designer.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 05:07 PM

Nobody is arguing that there aren't at least some intelligent humans so you really don't need to keep repeating that part. It's the purpose behind the design part people are picking at.

No of course they don't argue about that fact because that fact is OBVIOUS. Intelligent humans are the end product.

We're not. Dolphins, cuttlefish, salamanders, sparrows, alpacas, goats, guppies, squid, and so on didn't just get where they were some millions of years ago and stop. They've continued to change and are just as much the "end product" as we are.

I don't agree. Humanoid bodies with a human consciousness is the end product. Animals are stepping stones, but they are not as capable of self awareness.
Spend some time around dolphins. If you still think they're not as capable of self awareness it will have to be by a slim margin.
The ultimate purpose of evolution is a body and mind that can be SELF AWARE.
Evolution is completely blind about anything that comes in the future. We got here by a long series of questions that were all "what works right now?"

If that's just your opinion you're basically holding the opinion that the world is flat and has four corners.

Self awareness and human consciousness is the ultimate goal of evolution in this world.
Why produce so few species with humanoid bodies and so many that have clearly gone for the smallest brain that still gets the job of moving their limbs around done?

That is an opinion. You also have to consider the premise of reincarnation in this view. The conscious designer experiences its existence by flowing through all the life forms it has manifested. In incarnates throughout the universe into all forms and life.

JB said:
It follows that an end product with conscious intelligence must have conscious intelligence of some degree at its source. Note I said "of some degree." I did not say "God" or some supreme being.

At it's source? If we require an intelligent consciousness at our source because we are an intelligent consciousness why doesn't it require one and so on extending back infinitely?

Why can't our complexity arise from simplicity?

It does arise from simplicity. It arises from a simple and small degree of consciousness.
Where did the smallest consciousness come from?

Answer to what?

You obviously wrote that for some reason. It is not an explanation that works, it is either an observation or opinion that does not solve the question of how we evolved from non-conscious and non-intelligence to conscious and intelligent. At what point in our evolution did we suddenly become conscious and intelligent? I contend that it was a gradual process, but one that arose from an very small degree of conscious intelligence. (awareness potential.)A dog is a little bit of both of those. A fish is a smaller bit of both of those. A worm is very slightly intelligent and very slightly conscious. Bacteria are so little of those things it's easier to say they aren't either but depending on what you mean by intelligent and conscious they may have very slight degrees of those.

*Many bacteria basically have a nose they use to steer themselves. Would you say moving towards something that smells like food is intelligent? That smelling it at all is conscious?

You haven't convinced me that you've understood my explanation so far.

If you are talking about evolution (or "naturalism") I pretty much understand what you mean, but in my opinion that could not happen without some sort of conscious intelligence at the source.

What part of it?
"the things that survive are the ones we see today because they survived."
"it's chemically impossible to prevent mutations in the chemicals we use to store the instructions for how to keep our cells working and dividing."

If you were Abra I'd have to add a third point about chemicals simply being like counting numbers that go up one each time-

But those two things are really all it should take from the point you've placed the designer at. So without a designer guiding the process should we see species around today that died off?

I don't quite understand the question.

But maybe this will answer the question: The "designer" evolved along with the design. It did not start out as an all-knowing supreme being. Species that died out died out for a reason and by design. Trial and error so to speak. They were abandoned by the awakening "designer" because they did not work.

Why does it take a designer to make them? Variation and selection are what lead a species to become something else. Variation can't be avoided and selection can't be avoided.

For variation of your genome you only need to be duplicating the strands. For the chemistry reason I went into you get (very stochastic) non-duplicates.

For selection making more babies means you eventually squeeze out the opposition and if there's a disaster more of your offspring will be left around while maybe all of the other guys' will have died. Babies that are more likely to survive in general have the same effect.

So why should trial and error take a designer? We've got everything happening without any guiding force other than that whoever stays alive isn't dead.

Too mechanical? Exactly how mechanical can it be or not be?

Intelligence and consciousness are useful are they not? Having something useful that nobody else has is an advantage is it not?

Yes, but what's your point??
If they help something stay alive and make babies like themselves where is there room for a designer? Staying alive isn't like auditioning and getting a rose so you go on to the next round; you either get enough food/water and avoid being killed or you don't.

Are you saying without the designer plants and animals wouldn't starve to death or get crushed by rocks or catch on fire?
*trees can starve. Because they are stationary if they managed to sprout and last through their first year they're in a place with enough to "eat" but they definitely don't always get that.

The difference would be the ingredient "life." That is the ingredient that is missing and nobody really knows what constitutes "life." There are a lot of definitions, but nobody has it right yet.

What's wrong with the old "making copies of yourself that have the same heritable traits" definition?

Not sufficient. A mindless unconscious computer virus can do that.
How is it not alive?

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 11:23 AM
Sky:

It is infinitely varied, yet the elegance of its most fundamental operation is almost absurd in its simplicity.

It exhibits a heart-stopping esthetic at all levels.
Isn't that just telling of our ability to make mundane things aesthetical?

It is constantly changing at all levels, yet provides enough consistancy to allow players to amass great fortunes of whatever they deem valuable.
That's not something you want in design at all. A bridge with any important parts that constantly changes through a great deal of variety won't be able to support vehicles traveling over it and basically any program that changes at all levels is going to break almost immediately.

It allows for virtually infinite possibilities of game<=>player and player<=>player interaction.

It provides an unlimited supply of raw materials for individuals to shape new forms and plots to serve their own personal, functional and esthetic needs and desires – whatever they may be and however they may change.
Earth is a lot more limited than that and we'd never have the fuel to move people or materials about the observable universe. Add in that as time passes less and less of the universe is within the bounds we could ever reach even going at light speed and you have a scenario of rapidly declining availability of such things.

It provides a virtually limitless supply of built-in, hidden, and progressively difficult mysteries to solve.

Even the characters themselves have built-in mysteries to solve and abilities to be gained. If you believe in the concept of “reincarnation” it affords an unlimited supply of “lives”.

Not lives like you see in any game I've actually seen produced. That's more akin to selecting "new game" than having extra lives.

Sizable memory card/space though so we could at least conclude that we were more likely a computer game than a console game~

I dunno about you but that’s about as close to the perfect game design as I can possibly imagine. biggrin
Sand box games are only fun until you understand the rules behind them. Then they become tedious and you want to find a different game to play unless you're up for grinding out some annoying achievements.

But that’s just my own personal assessment. I guess anyone can see it as good or bad according to their own assesment criteria.
I'd be hapier with the game if they hadn't left out respawn points~

I agree that it often takes a lot of work and insight to gain an understanding of some peoples perspectives – simply because they can be so different.

But I consider that every perspective/viewpoint/belief system has inherent consistency. Whether or not I consider that consistency to be “logical” is irrelevant. It simply is what it is. And what matters most to me is how closely another system aligns with my own.
How can contradictions be consistent?

So personally, I find that from what I understand of Abra’s and Jeannie’s belief systems, they are the ones (in this forum) that most closely align with my own belief system. Thus, I tend to understand them better than other’s who hold to a more conflicting belief system.

drinker

I think it's more the way they describe them than what they're actually describing that you align with.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 11:10 AM

Nobody is arguing that there aren't at least some intelligent humans so you really don't need to keep repeating that part. It's the purpose behind the design part people are picking at.

No of course they don't argue about that fact because that fact is OBVIOUS. Intelligent humans are the end product.

We're not. Dolphins, cuttlefish, salamanders, sparrows, alpacas, goats, guppies, squid, and so on didn't just get where they were some millions of years ago and stop. They've continued to change and are just as much the "end product" as we are.

It follows that an end product with conscious intelligence must have conscious intelligence of some degree at its source. Note I said "of some degree." I did not say "God" or some supreme being.
At it's source? If we require an intelligent consciousness at our source because we are an intelligent consciousness why doesn't it require one and so on extending back infinitely?

Why can't our complexity arise from simplicity?

I say the efficient aspects of our physical forms come from the obvious fact that bodies that work well survive and stick around better than bodies that do not. With the way molecules act these different arrangements of things couldn't possibly be prohibited from taking place (and abra agrees but says God was responsible for making chemistry work that way.)

That touches on part of the process but is certainly not the answer.
Answer to what?

If you are talking about evolution (or "naturalism") I pretty much understand what you mean, but in my opinion that could not happen without some sort of conscious intelligence at the source.
What part of it?
"the things that survive are the ones we see today because they survived."
"it's chemically impossible to prevent mutations in the chemicals we use to store the instructions for how to keep our cells working and dividing."

If you were Abra I'd have to add a third point about chemicals simply being like counting numbers that go up one each time-

But those two things are really all it should take from the point you've placed the designer at. So without a designer guiding the process should we see species around today that died off? Should we never see a chemical process with multiple low energy configurations (*copying DNA takes the least energy but any time things have more energy, such as after having absorbed a photon, they can overcome a larger energy barrier. For things that remain solid or liquid this is usually reversible so at a stable temperature you would get mostly the lowest energy configuration but there's always going to be another photon absorption or similar event that gives some molecules enough energy to go another route.)

Evolving towards something with intelligence and consciousness from something somewhat mechanical and unintelligent would be like expecting a computer to reinvent itself, reprogram itself, rebuild itself or "evolve" until it became conscious and intelligent. It's just too mechanical. IT DOES NOT FOLLOW.
Too mechanical? Exactly how mechanical can it be or not be?

Intelligence and consciousness are useful are they not? Having something useful that nobody else has is an advantage is it not?

The difference would be the ingredient "life." That is the ingredient that is missing and nobody really knows what constitutes "life." There are a lot of definitions, but nobody has it right yet.
What's wrong with the old "making copies of yourself that have the same heritable traits" definition?

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 09:46 AM
JB:
Proven to two people perhaps. laugh

I am old enough that I can remember (in the society where I grew up) that to express doubt of the existence of God was risky business.
It still is in big portions of the country. It's nice that some places are more accepting now.

I spent most of my life keeping my mouth shut until I just got tired of the bull crap.

To tell someone that you are an atheist and see their jaws drop open was kind of liberating. (They then pretended to feel sorry for me because I was going to hell.) They would want to 'save' me or 'argue' with me, or frighten me into believing in their God.

I still see that today in the town where I live. Many radical Christians here calling me a heathen or a witch in league with the devil.
Well of course. If you don't know you need to fight the Devil there's no way you could resist him. Or look at star wars- that one officer guy didn't believe in the Force and then Vader used it to choke him to death!

... laugh

On this forum I am probably viewed as a "believer" because I argue that "intelligent design" is a possibility. That does not mean I believe in a creator God. It simply means that I see intelligence in the universe and in its creatures and I see what appears to be purpose and design.

I say the efficient aspects of our physical forms come from the obvious fact that bodies that work well survive and stick around better than bodies that do not. With the way molecules act these different arrangements of things couldn't possibly be prohibited from taking place (and abra agrees but says God was responsible for making chemistry work that way.)

No, I can't prove it, and nobody can prove otherwise or explain this reality's existence to my satisfaction, so I have assigned the role of "God" to each of us and take a more pantheistic view.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 06:17 AM
JB:

JB:
Shoku, I think you are having a conversation with a group and you are not separating the individuals you are speaking with.

Slow down and try talking to one person at a time.

You've been talking about yourself, sky, and abra as a group presenting a certain view. It's mostly because of what you've said that I'm mixing in the things those other two have said when I talk with you (and what you've said when I talk to them.)

Abra's been acting on his own and so I've kept you and sky mostly out of what I say to him. Go back and read to see it if you've got the time and inclination.

While the three of us agree on a lot of things, we are separate individuals with separate ideas. We don't agree on everything and we don't make the same statements. Our philosophies are very unique and different from each other.

I don't really have time to go back and reread everything you have posted and try to sort out what you are saying to whom. Sorry.

Understandable. That's why I didn't just flat out tell you to do it.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 06:13 AM
Sky
Any that you disagreed with?
Yes, lots. But that doesn’t mean they’re completely useless. Understanding other’s opinions is can be very useful in predicting how they will act in a given situation.
Well yes, they make useful ammunition against someone else but I was asking if the opinions of others that you disagreed with ever useful for shaping your own world view.

Are we talking self as in individual humans or would humanity be the self and everything not-human be the other?
Self as “a living thing” (human or not) would be the most accurate. However, self as “individual humans” is close enough for general purposes and easiest to work with since we have language which can express the ideas of subjective versus objective.

Which could also be stated as: self is the source of the subjective and other is the source of the objective.
I would say other is only what allows you to tell when your subjective does not fit the objective.

But with your definition even if scientists were to focus on being subjective wouldn't that still be objective to you? Or are you saying they need to come knocking on your door personally and focus on your opinion to work out the nature of the universe?
It’s not a matter of how the scientists should study so much as what they should study. They already know an incredible amount about how the objective affects the objective (i.e. the interactions between matter/energy and spacetime), and a little about how the objective affects the subjective (i.e. external events can actually alter one’s though processes).

One request real quick. Can you use the enter key a little more often? It's getting hard to spot where I need to close the next quote.

I’d just like to see more focus on how the subjective affects the objective. (With “how the subjective affects the subjective” a little farther down the line.)

The point being that we understand a lot about how “other” works, but virtually nothing about how “self” works, largely because mainstream science has defined self in terms of other, which I think is a grossly erroneous definition.
Do you think neurons aren't a good place to look for understanding our brains? Or that our brains aren't a good place to look?

Now in that sense, “objective” is pretty close to definition #2 and “subjective is pretty close to both #1 and #3. The main difference is in the assignment of cause/creation/source.

So yes, I know that is somewhat different from the dictionary definition, but if anyone knows of two comparative words that mean what I just described, please let me know.
I'm not entirely sure what you've described. Internal/external? Personal/impersonal?
Internal/external is pretty close but lacks the concept of source/cause/creation. I think “self-originated/other-originated” may be the closest in terms of common word meanings. But you see my quandary.
I don't see how self originated has any affect on other originated except through the objective lens science tries to look through.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/16/09 05:53 AM

Sky:
In other words, “the laws inside the universe could be a product of the laws outside the universe”? Well sure, but that’s not what was being discussed. What was being discussed was the laws inside the universe.

Starting from outside the universe just adds another turtle and puts you right back at square one again.
Isn't the same thing true of starting from an external designer?
No. One starts from the laws inside the universe, The other starts from a creator outside the universe.
But it doesn't. You just said that it starts from laws outside the universe. How do laws outside the universe add another turtle any more than a creator outside of it?
Well, I was considering the laws to be the product of a creator. In other words, my meaning for “the creator” include the quality of being “the last turtle”, whereas “the laws” require another turtle.
How does a creator get to be the last turtle?
By definition.

But if you say the creator is the last turtle isn't that the same as saying it just got there by chance?
No more so than saying an eternal universe got there by chance. An eternal universe didn’t “get there”, it was always there. Just as a creator didn’t “get there”, it was always there.
So why aren't we treating the eternal universe like a serious idea? It's sure a lot closer to what I've been talking about than "random nonsense."
Well personally, I was considering the “eternal” idea more seriously than the “unintended creation” idea. It’s just that it was not being discussed very much and I didn’t want to “muddy the waters”. But I actually consider the “eternal” explanation to be much more satisfactory than the “unintended creation”, since it does not exclude the possibility of “ongoing design”.
Well even with the random origin stuff we wouldn't technically be precluded from having some god notice that a place had started up and then stepping in with some divine intervention. JB talks about that sort of thing a bit without using the word god.

One could consider the “game” analogy in the same light…

If you want to put the ball through the hoop, why bother dribbling it and leave yourself open to it being stolen? Why not just hold it tight and cover it like a football, walk down the court, climb a ladder, and push it through the hoop?
Are you saying that the designer is competing against other entities in a test of skill?
No. Are you saying that “a test of skill” is the only possible reason for playing a game?
The phrase was meant to describe the point of playing a sport (such as basketball,) but there are definitely other reasons people play them.
One of those other reasons is simply “something that one wants to do”. And “following the rules” is what defines the “doingness” of that particular activity.
But people made sports and such. There are rules you follow to play that game. We're talking about the origin of rules.

Or we're not and the designer is just some turtle in the middle and we've not yet even begun to talk about if there must be one or not.
Yes, that’s what we’re talking about – the creator of the rules.
So about the question? How is the designer playing by rules before having made any rules?
He makes up the rules and then plays by the rule she made up. Just like anyone who plays a game they made up.
That's getting pretty far away from the apparent bad design.

And if I don't have a creator?
Then there can be no meaning to a creator.

My objection is in your saying that anything without the intention of God behind it is happenstance.
But that’s not what I’m saying. I’m only saying that anything without intention behind it is happenstance, by definition.
Not in the context we've been using the word. "Random nonsense" and "not done with intention" are very different concepts. The definition doesn't say that things done without intention are random, that would be like saying that after you become a celebrity in Hollywood you must be a giant ball of gas undergoing nuclear fusion (star.)
Well then one or both of us misunderstood some context somewhere. I was depending on the context of Abra’s posts back somewhere around page 40 or so, from which I concluded that he meant “happenstance” in the sense of “unintended” as opposed to “random”. And as I think about it, he seemed to me to have used “happenstance” and “random” synonymously to refer to “unintended intention”. SO that’s the context I was operating on.

I'm really disappointed with how he switches the meanings of his words so much. It's good for poetry and metaphor but not for science or philosophy. It turns into a terrible mess and doesn't support the points he's making.

So basically he's cheating.

Shoku's photo
Sun 11/15/09 09:19 PM
Keeping all of the quotes separated into their own posts is showing me my face so much I feel like I'm being narcissistic or something.

Shoku's photo
Sun 11/15/09 09:17 PM
Sky:
Sky
Bushi said
(truncated for brevity) . . . We would have to link every single cause all the way back and have a justification for saying that this intelligence wanted this to all be for us . . .

That amounts to something like a few googols [sic] of variables (and growing, if Inflation Theory is correct) to link together in causative relationships.

Well, if one wants to start with an equation like that, I think it is definitely something that would serve to occupy one’s time and provide a virtually endless supply of unknown variables to solve.

But it sure doesn’t seem like a very practical approach to gaining a full understanding of “life, the universe and everything”.

In fact, it virtually guarantees that such a full understanding can never be achieved.

The fundamental problem, as I see it, is that up until very recently (the last few decades), the last few centuries of “scientific” investigation have been steadily and purposefully moving toward a position that completely excludes the single most important factor in all of life – the “subjective”.

It is the “subjective” that is the source of all meaning, purpose, value, relevance, quality, significance,
Good so far.

usefulness, comparison, importance, evaluation, etc. ad infinitum.
And you lost it. You can't compare the subjective because you can't show it to others. You can't evaluate it because it's an opinion.
Well I will admit that I obviously lost you

The subjective isn't useful to anyone but the subject.
I disagree. I find other peoples opinions are often quite useful to me.
Any that you disagreed with?

Not only that, but the “subjective” is the source of all the foundations of science itself: logic, math, investigation, comparison, evaluation, differentiation, understanding, knowledge, association, observation, empiricism, etc. ad infinitum.
Explain to me what's subjective about math. Last time I checked 2+2=4 without any room for anyone thinking differently. Logic has aimed to get away from the subjective since it's inception as subjectively making someone look bad devalues their arguments when that doesn't actually address any of what they've said.
Math and logic are both fabrications. See below for reference to subjective.

So it seems extremely curious to me that this thing that is the “source” of all of that, is purposefully and intentionally excluded from all consideration.

I mean, if these tools of “logic” and “science” are so valuable, why aren’t they being used to investigate the single most universally relevant factor in all of existence?
I'm really thinking you don't understand what subjective and objective mean.

Do these definitions match what you're talking about:
Objective: 1. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
2. being the object of perception or thought; belonging to the object of thought rather than to the thinking subject
Subjective: 1. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
2. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.
3. relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.
You’re quite right that I have been using the word subjective with an intended meaning that does not exactly match any of those definitions. Unfortunately, I know of no other common word that does match exactly. And I often find it impossible to convey the idea of what I mean, even in lengthy and involved face-to-face discussions. (We’ve all had exierience with people who “just don’t get it”. :smile:)

But over the course of this thread I think I may have come up with a way of explaining it…

If everything is divided into two categories of “self” and “other”, then subjective is caused/created by self and objective is caused/created by other.
Are we talking self as in individual humans or would humanity be the self and everything not-human be the other?

Which could also be stated as: self is the source of the subjective and other is the source of the objective.
I would say other is only what allows you to tell when your subjective does not fit the objective.

But with your definition even if scientists were to focus on being subjective wouldn't that still be objective to you? Or are you saying they need to come knocking on your door personally and focus on your opinion to work out the nature of the universe?

Now in that sense, “objective” is pretty close to definition #2 and “subjective is pretty close to both #1 and #3. The main difference is in the assignment of cause/creation/source.

So yes, I know that is somewhat different from the dictionary definition, but if anyone knows of two comparative words that mean what I just described, please let me know.
I'm not entirely sure what you've described. Internal/external? Personal/impersonal?

Shoku's photo
Sun 11/15/09 09:09 PM
JB:
Shoku, I think you are having a conversation with a group and you are not separating the individuals you are speaking with.

Slow down and try talking to one person at a time.

You've been talking about yourself, sky, and abra as a group presenting a certain view. It's mostly because of what you've said that I'm mixing in the things those other two have said when I talk with you (and what you've said when I talk to them.)

Abra's been acting on his own and so I've kept you and sky mostly out of what I say to him. Go back and read to see it if you've got the time and inclination.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 20 21