Community > Posts By > Shoku

Shoku's photo
Sat 12/05/09 09:10 AM

and I still contend that we are decended from rats
Oh come on, don't say it like that right after you corrected people saying apes were our brothers.

For us it goes ancestor-rat, rat-monkey?, monkeys, apes, humans- at a layman level. I don't think anyone in here who doesn't already know where to look would appreciate the particular species names and a dozen steps that just give the same general chain.

Now as for why we don't have tails it's important to note that apes fight each other quite a bit more than monkeys. If you look at a gorilla they've got really short legs.

People used to just say "that helps them balance in the trees" almost without thinking but if you look at the primates with the best balance in trees they have very long legs.

So no, the short legs have some other purpose. What male gorillas do is grapple. The best fighter ends up with the biggest harem like this so they want to be excellent fighters. A low center of gravity is important for grappling (you can see that we lower ours in those sorts of sports and you can see dogs bred for fighting have shorter legs as well,) and so now it becomes obvious what's going on.

Back to the tail- aside from it's prehensile function tails are used for balance. As our ancestors steered away from that set of traits they may not have just lost their tail from non-use but because shortening their legs had an impact on tail growth.

And of course if fighters could easily break each other's tails it would be better not to have it at all than to lose a lot of fights because of a cheap shot and then maybe even have it get infected and result in death.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:35 PM

Even the greatest scientists are fully aware of the follies of science. Jrbogie has been quoting Stepthen Hawlking for several days down on how Hawlking asserts that there are no such things as facts and that nothing can be proven.

somewhat dishonest me thinks abra. nudging strawman too. i quoted two sentences of one paragraph on one of hundreds of pages of one of several books that hawkings has published. perhaps you read more from this great mind than i have but where you come to the conclusion that he considers science to be "folly" is beyond me.

That comes down to nothing more than what you personally accept to be folly, now doesn't it?

The first sentence of post was my own personal opinion. All I stated about Hawkling was his assertion from a quote that you had posted. If you disagree that this constitutes a folly then be my guest.

Perhaps too, you are misunderstanding the context in which I'm using the word. This thread is concerned with 'burderns of proof'. Well, if science can never prove anything to be fact, then it would be folly to believe that there should be any 'burdern of proof' on anyone to 'prove' anything scientific. laugh
If you had half the experience you claim you'd know that science only deals with "proof beyond a reasonable doubt," much like our court system.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:33 PM

Make your words impeccable.

Never take anything personally.

Don't make assumptions.

Always do your best.

I like that. I try to do that. But I'm not sure what "impeccable" translates to.

It's close to interchangeable with "perfect" in the etiquette sort of way. "Impeccable timing" being the sort of thing where you manage something at exactly the right moment so impeccable words would basically just be perfectly clear.

Unfortunately scientific terms are not recognized by layman so we have to spend a lot of time explaining them in simpler words (just to have abra lie to me about already knowing. He's vaguely familiar at best.)

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:30 PM

Therefore, I have to assume you are being sarcastic and/or just rude.

I think his intention to be rude has been well-established with his insistent that I'm a fool who should wear a jester's hat.

He doesn't understand. He thinks I'm attacking science, but I'm not really. I'm merely poking fun at his claims about science.

Even the greatest scientists are fully aware of the follies of science. Jrbogie has been quoting Stepthen Hawlking for several days down on how Hawlking asserts that there are no such things as facts and that nothing can be proven.
Every decent scientist understands that you can't tell laymen the whole story because they won't understand it. You've got to keep it simple so they have some indication of how important different concepts are.

The wisest scientists of all time fully understand that science does the best it can do, but ultimately even that falls short of proving anything.
We're all of the understanding that we don't give a shlt if you prove things exist. On the assumption that our world does exist we can prove lots of things.

I've been driving home that point recently myself. I confess that I've been doing it a bit flamboyantly lately. But I did this to try to offset the overly-serious and somber stance that people like Bushio and Creative are attempting to portray in the opposite direction. They are at the other extreme acting like as if science has reality clinched which is far from the case.
Explain to me how you can tell that Pi is not a rational fraction and I'll let you talk about how much we actually know. Before then (or similar subject,) you're only allowed general concepts because you twist things out of context so much.

I'm fully aware of all the accomplishments of science and I've acknowledged that. I too admire science and the great men who have contributed to it.

But at the same time I see why it should not be worshipped as a religious philosophy. It ultimately fails. Without doubt.
How so?

When it gets right down to the real nitty gritty, science fails to explain what's going on. And Quantum Mechanics (the central pillar of Modern Science) has left the door wide-open for many very interesting an potentially mystical explantions.
argument from ignorance fallacy, if you pursue that as an actual reason for any of that mysticism to be valid.

That is indeed the current status of Modern Science.

The door is wide open! Don't be pretending that it's almost nailed shut. It's not even close to be closed, much less being nailed shut.

Show us that you comprehend the hinges of this door before you talk about it's position.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:21 PM
Edited by Shoku on Tue 12/01/09 12:21 PM

I am sure if you where actually interested in reading other people posts and really trying to understand you could, I think abra is his own solipsistic universe.

Bushshidobillyclub,

The above statement is illogical because if Abra was in his own solipsistic universe you would not really exist. You would just be a figment of his imagination. And why on earth would he have imagined you?

Illogical.spock

Therefore, I have to assume you are being sarcastic and/or just rude.

He'd imagine us to have someone to fight.

But really what's meant there is clearly that abra is dellusional and living in his own little fantasy world cut off from the reality the rest of us reside in. Talking to him is much like arguing with a brick wall.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:18 PM

Yup foolish. How is it even remotely possible to think this is the argument at hand . . .

Well, if that's not your argument then you have no bone to pick with me.

You're just out to desperately try to discredit me because I tell people the truth in the face of your false representation of science.

You're an annoying pest. Attacks on character are not valid arguments any more than ad hominem so please deal with the topic dumbass.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:16 PM

Shoku said:
The problem with religion (that I think everyone here recognizes,) is that it stalls your personal growth. You end up a permanent child and the only form of maturity praised is the growing dull enough to not ask questions.

Unfortunately I see most of this spiritualism in the same light. What I would really like right now is not for them to go on the defensive about that but look at themselves and see how this "whatever you believe" stuff is just a way to halt ever having to accept reality.

There's nothing to be found in what you believe. To say that's all that matters is to claim that you already know everything and with as much distaste as they seem to have when they claim we're doing that I can only hope that this is eye opening.
Interesting commentary. Let me transpose a few things and see what you think.

The problem with atheism is that it stalls your personal growth. You end up a permanent child and the only form of maturity praised is the growing dull enough to admit that you can never know anything.
I don't see how this is a good transposition. As an atheist I seem to be asking a lot of questions and saying that we know an awful lot. This is rather opposed to "you can't know the will of God" and related ideas.

I've even suggested that our actions could be deterministic which means that if you can just get a proper snapshot of the universe for a single moment you automatically know everything, so long as you have the computing power to handle it.

Unfortunately I see most of this materialism in the same light. What I would really like right now is not for them to go on the defensive about that but look at themselves and see how this "whatever you can or can’t know" stuff is just a way to halt ever having to accept any belief.

There's nothing to be found in what you know or don’t know. To say that's all that matters is to claim that you do not believe anything, and with as much distaste as they seem to have when they claim we're doing that I can only hope that this is eye opening.

In short, “there are two sides to every coin”. It is the refusal to recognize and accept that fact that leads to problems. In fact, it is the refusal to recognize and accept that fact that what makes it impossible to resolve problems. (But that’s a whole subject of it’s own.)
What coin are we talking about?

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 12:10 PM

Honestly Abra, your a fool for making this your point. Your a fool anyways so it matters little to me, but its really quite illustrative of the weak arguments you propose, and how your mental faculty is either failing or never was strong.
If you ever grow up let me know, maybe we can actually have a mature conversation someday. I won't bother holding my breath, so take all the time you need.
Do you think that doesn't look like petty name calling to anyone? Is there somebody you're trying to impress?
Maybe they're trying to impress each other with their repsective name-calling abilities? :laughing:

Well, I can certain do without any need to call people fools.

In fact, I certainly hope that people realize that I have never done any such thing.

Hrm, let's scan a bit-

"You can't expect the young greenhorns to comprehend this kind of wisdom" = inexperienced fool
"believes that he's a sack of atoms that's not playing any game" sort of= shallow fool
"If you ever grow up" = foolish child
"filling people full of your pseudo-science nonsense" = stupid fool

In two pages you've devalued people four times, or three if that first one wasn't part of the meaning in what you were saying. My personality analysis of you in all this time says that you probably meant that subconsciously but I can't say for sure so I'll make the numbers nicer and say three.

But hey, three is practically the same as zero compared to infinity right?

Bushio thinks that I'm a fool because I'm looking at things deeper than he is willing to look.
Most of the people that call something deep can't understand anything greater than "ankles deep."

I'm fully aware of the success of macro physics and the "laws" that we have observed.
You certainly call it a failure a lot for being aware of that.

I've worked in technology my entire life.
Yet you won't tell us what subject you taught or give any of that sort of information.

It looks suspiciously like (read: is clearly) you're just saying this so you can sound like an authority and then just feed up appeals to authority nonstop.

Of course, if you're not just baiting us you can share a little bit of that information. We're no asking for your social security number or anything after all~

I'm fully aware that we've put men on the moon and we have destroyed entire cities of people with our scientifically successful nuclear bombs.
A bit nitpicky but I wouldn't say the entire cities were destroyed. With conventional bombs we lit up a city in the middle east (sorry, I don't recall the name and search results are too loaded with terrorist bombings,) for about three days and killed about 1/2 as many people as either of the nukes we dropped (averaged.) My memory is, unfortunately, really fuzzy here.

Anyway, we chose big urban areas that a 3 mile wide circle would devastate but avoided smaller targets for fear that they might be able to recover a dud bomb and reverse engineer it.

However you might just be using the term "destroy" loosely in which case I'm only clarifying that you meant basically the same as devastate.

The technological successes of science are not in question. Of course a person would need to be a fool to question that.
That's always how it has to be before people give any ground in "God matters."

Quite a ways back saying that Pi was an irrational number was too offensive to people's beliefs but today it's undeniable. No creator seems a similar belief, though significantly less violently enforced, and years and years down the road people won't be able to deny the things that don't fit it.
If he thinks I'm that shallow then he's not even thinking at all.

The bottom line when it comes to the philosophy of the truest essence of reality must transcend these shallow observations and look at the core issues.
The core issue here is if there is evidence for us having been designed by an intelligent- well, god. That's basically a technological success sort of thing without any request for philosophy don't you think?

Yes, we live in a world of macro phenomena. And anyone would indeed need to be a fool not to recognize this well-established observation.

None the less, we have also advanced in our ability to observe relality to a point that goes beyond that.
You should first convince me that what you're talking about is not the same thing we were doing at the birth of civilization.

Even Bushio recognizes that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is actually quite certain.

In fact, it is the single most verified physical observation that we currently have. Nothing has been more verified experimentally than Quantum Mechanics and that absolutely includes the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

We also know that virtual particles must exist (or at least some phenomenon that behaves in a way that we have labeled as 'virtual particles') In either case, the very concept of virtual particles popping into and out of 'physical existence' is a very well-accepted and well-established part of modern science.

So now Bushio is going to call me a "fool" for actually accepting these modern scientifically established ideas? spock
I think I missed the part where you explained how that had jack squat to do with a creator- or have I just put much of this thread out of memory?

In the meantime he's trying to paint an almost "Newtonian" macro picture of reality whilst totally ignoring the quantum realm as being irrelevant.

With all due respect to everyone involved, it makes absolutely no sense to me for someone to be arguing that they support a "Scientific view" of the world whist simultaneously rejecting the very heart and pillar of modern science which anyone who knows anything about science at all knows is indeed Quantum Mechanics.
We know the quantum stuff we have right now is significantly flawed so give him quantum gravity first.

This idea that Quantum Mechanics doesn't apply to the macro world so we can just ignore it, is to do nothing more than ignore the real issues and questions in favor of pretending that science is a Salad Bar where you can just pick and chose which parts of it you'd like to accept.
But that's right. Quantum Mechanics doesn't apply to the macro world. Quantum Gravity should but we haven't figured that out yet.

It would really be best if you could quote him about this some so I could what he was saying. Quite frankly you've lost my trust when it comes to describing what anyone else has said in your own words.

So call me a fool all you want. That part I truly couldn't care less about.
Well I think you're a fool because of how you conduct yourself, mainly in ignoring fallacies unless they are used against you. I'm tempted to use the same fallacies your using just to prove that you understand that they're faulty logic but you don't fight the injustice of propaganda with counter propaganda so I'm stuck taking the high road.

But if you claim that your make-believe ideas of science should be considered as 'scientific' then please excuse me whilst I have a good belly roll.

rofl

Hell's bells, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one here who's willing to genuinely accept the discoveries of modern science, whilst the people who claim to be scientific are calling me a 'fool'.

How ironic is that? spock

Seeing as you don't even accept general chemistry...

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 11:22 AM

Shoku said
The characters in a game are representations of people - are they actual, real people? No. They're illusions that look like people.

I know illusion sounds a bit more like magic than technology but there's no significant difference between how "real" these things are.

If our whole existence is a game we're all just imaginary. Whether it's exactly an idea in someone/thing's head or that idea has been written out into some kind of computer program doesn't matter. It's just as fictional.
Ok, so label the game universe "fictional" or "imaginary" if you want. The label doesn't matter. It doesn't change the nature of the game or the players or the relationship between the players and/or the game.

What matters is the fact that the game does exist and we do play it. And in playing the game we interact - with the game universe directly (or maybe more accurately, indirectly through the player interface) and with other players indirectly according to the rules of the game.

Bottom line is: so what if it's fictional/illusory? Labeling it fictional or illusory doesn't change what it is. (Although it may change one's own attitude or perspective toward it - which may or may not be beneficial depending on the person.)

I'm so glad you said that before that post of mine where I went into the same thing (reply to Bushido.)

Just one problem: so what if it's an idea/game? Labeling it idea or game doesn't change what it is. (Although it may change one's own attitude or perspective toward it - which may or may not be beneficial depending on the person.)

This is ultimately why I started pressing you about this topic.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 11:11 AM

I understand solopsism. It is like saying "I am God and God is all that exists.
Well no, you don't necessarily have any power and if everything you see is an illusion you're basically trapped.

Self realization is when you reazize that self is God.
Getting awfully close to the No True Scottsman fallacy...

God realization is when you realize that you are God; hence you are everyone.

I am you and you are me. Look what we have done to each other.

What you do unto others, you do unto yourself.
Organize.

Now what is it that you have done to others?

Consciousness dwells within consciousness. Universes dwell within universes. All is here, now.
That doesn't seem to match what we've seen of our existence. Argument from ignorance perhaps?

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 11:07 AM

JB,

What is gained by your personal philosophy? I mean, where does it lead?

flowers

My personal philosophy is for my benefit only. It answers all question, solves all mysteries, has no dead ends. It is an endless path to truth and information.

That is what it does for me.flowerforyou

Show us some of that truth and information please.

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 11:06 AM

Jeanniebean said:
I have already shown my evidence (and I was right, --you apparently don't follow it or don't get it.) If you don''t accept or comprehend the evidence I submitted, then it must not be enough evidence for you. You can now conclude that "I have none." That is your conclusion and your closure on the matter. But don't ask me (or expect me) to say "I have none." I gave examples of today's designers and where science is headed.. inevitably towards creating and designing life itself, and even universes and black holes, and that is not enough for you to see where that is going. You don't get it. We are the designers of this and future universes.

Shoku said:

-->How many times do I have to explain to you<--- that "we design things" is not evidence for what people are talking about here?
"The Dodo is extinct." "Nu uh, I have a dog." "We're not talking about dogs here." "But they're the same size!"

What evidence do you have for an intelligent designer before life on Earth? I remember the butterfly stuff but I'm kind of involved with talking to three people in here and I've got exams looming overhead so it's a bit difficult to recall everything you've said.

Shoku,

You don't have to "explain" anything at all.

I already UNDERSTAND (and have said many times) that my evidence has not been accepted or considered.
You just showed that you don't understand. Our designing things has nothing to do with the term intelligent design. It's a lot like how women's suffrage means something very different from suffering women.

I have told you repeatedly that intelligent design does not refer to our designs and I've told you that everyone agrees that we are at least sometimes intelligent and at least sometimes design.

Nobody is telling you otherwise.

--->I KNOW THAT ALREADY.<----
You don't know. Your evidence has been considered. It looks something like this:
"Any evidence for the new popular word for a creator god?"
"Ya. Us. We design and are intelligent."
"That's got both of the words in it so it's got two points so far. An intelligent designer would have to be around before us though because we know we weren't always here and intelligent design is really about asking where we came from."

Now I'm sure you think we've discarded your views at this point but that's not the case at all. It is now your responsibility to add to the evidence or come up with some other evidence to the effect of us having always been here somehow or anything else that resolves the problem of how your evidence doesn't seem to explain our origin.

Like how I explained that I ask questions to see what you believe instead of just painting over it with what I believe to fill in gaps it's very important for a believer to do this part of the job.

You can mull about waiting for someone that shares your beliefs if you really want to but there's not really anyone that believes exactly the same thing as you and if they explain it poorly then what you believe looks worse. The reality is that it's up to you and if you don't want to take that responsibility you should stick to saying you only have an opinion and keep out of matters of evidence.

Besides, if you don't have such a shaky faith that you have to justify it to yourself or desperately work to spread it to others (both things you've basically said aren't the case,) why the hell would you need evidence for it in the first place?

I have already been told that what I presented has been rejected as "evidence." So be it. But don't tell me that it is NOT evidence just because you don't get it.
Isn't that what it would mean to reject it as evidence?

Thing is we do get it and there are problems you need to address before our considering it any further could possibly show that you've got some full piece of evidence.

You don't get what I am talking about.
We get exactly what you're talking about. We're humans and we have the same inclinations and we work out what we are seeing the same way.

What we don't have is the same set of experiences as you. Instead of waking up in the middle of the night unable to move without any explanation as to why (something you may or may not have experienced,) I have a laptop that doesn't turn on properly half of the time. What I did was recall a solution my friend used of dropping it several times about the distance of 1 inch onto my lap and trying to turn it on again. It worked and I did that for months before I thought about it at a time I wasn't busy and decided to test if that really had anything to do with it.

Turns out it's a lot like a slot machine. Sometimes I win just by trying a few more times and others times it seems like I have to at least tilt the thing while I turn it on but that could just be more superstition eating it's way into my psyche.

Now you probably won't agree that that's the same thing and might not even see how it's relevant but I told that story to show that I believe things without evidence too. Flimsy evidence makes me believe even stronger than solid evidence and I have to constantly remind myself that I work like that if I don't want to let it take control of me.

You haven't shown that you understand these tendencies in yourself and much of what I've said to you have had the second purpose of drawing that understanding out if there was any.

Calling something superstition irrevocably is unfair though so I'm not doing that. You've got a chance to defend what you've said so use it.

You are not willing to even try. So forget it. You don't really want to know what I'm talking about.

If you do not understand or follow it, and if you are too busy to look at it then stop asking me the same question over and over.
I'll stop asking the same question when you answer it for once.

[quot]Your questions clearly shows that you don't even get what I am talking about. You asked:

"What evidence do you have for an intelligent designer before life on Earth?"

You are still talking about a single "designer" supposed to have created life on this earth.Could be several or many but you've got to give evidence that matches that but doesn't match single designer or no designer.

You think small.
I keep the starting point of the subject small because you haven't shown that you can handle larger.

If you really wanted to understand my 'evidence' you have to rearrange your thinking.
I know how to do that and I've done it in the past. The thing is there are a lot of ways to rearrange my thinking but only, roughly, one way that will match yours.

I know about a shortcut though. Be vague and shower you with praise as I speak nicely about anything you think.
Quite frankly that's a shltty thing for shltty people to do and I'm treating you like an adult rather than a child. If you'd rather be treated like a child just ask.

But never mind. You don't. You just want to argue and badger people. Get a life.

The problem is with everyone but you eh?

Shoku's photo
Tue 12/01/09 09:30 AM
My computer had to go away for a few days but luckily it looks like this topic is dead in the water without me. I'll try not to hold it over anyone n_n

The problem with cognito ergo sum is that it assumes logic is not part of the deception.

Even if Cogito ergo sum is apart of the deception its still solipsism, only that the single mind is possibly both the deceiver and the deceived.
Or that there is no mind. All of existence could be precariously balanced on the lack or realization that it doesn't really exist.

But these lines of thinking are fruitless. Disproving the notions, if that were possible, would gain us nothing and confirming any of these fiction realities would just strand us in the knowing that there was nothing left for us except to delude ourselves and play back into the mystic veil.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what you meant, I get the feeling we agree.
Well that's the simplest definition. If you go deeper it's about about what it's possible to know.
Right, in fact that was the history of the term. Its very inception regards the nature of knowledge and it clearly shows us one of two paths, belief that nothing can be known, which abra has said over and over again in various ways, or the belief that we can know things.
Personally I don't care much about these notions of truth. People only ever resort to the possibility of unreality as they backpedal to keep their beliefs practical. The only use for that question is to stall out an argument so I prefer to cut to the heart of the matter and just focus on what we can learn about the world under the assumption that it real.

No matter the belief we assume that we are having real experiences and that that is an important aspect of our reality. As there is no argument there I think we should focus our attention elsewhere.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/24/09 06:16 AM

Honestly Abra, your a fool for making this your point. Your a fool anyways so it matters little to me, but its really quite illustrative of the weak arguments you propose, and how your mental faculty is either failing or never was strong.

If you ever grow up let me know, maybe we can actually have a mature conversation someday. I won't bother holding my breath, so take all the time you need.
Do you think that doesn't look like petty name calling to anyone? Is there somebody you're trying to impress?

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/24/09 06:15 AM

As I understand it, solipsism rejects the idea that anything other then self exists.

Ok, we all know reality is not necessarily what we entail it to be, this is why solipsism is so idiotic.

Please pay close attention to the distinction between what is, and what can be known.

For a philosophy to be solipsism you must have an environment that has only a single consciousness and a single creator, or trickster, or provider of detail, whatever you want to call it.

Here is the sticking point, either you believe that there is a separate reality from what you perceive or you don't. Beliefs as we all know are subjective and hardly a good starting point for rational discourse.

If you think that reality starts with mind, and thinking builds up to form, then the first principle is that thought must occur before form.

The only logical conclusion from that is that a singular mind starts it all.

From that all you can assume is that a single mind exists. Which given Cogito Ergo sum ( I think therefore I am), means it could very well be your mind tricking you into thinking other minds exist.

If a single mind exists as your premise you must assume a mind at least one, exists.

However you cannot prove, or even know, if another mind exists. So with out assuming that laws of nature exist this situation puts you in a place where solipsism is the difference between epistemology, and ontology.

Where what is known, is no different that what can be . . .

You can never know anything about reality, you are stuck in a situation where you must assume everything, quite a pathetic place to be in given all that we can accomplish with naturalism . . . .

Essentially naturalism is a given becuase it explains so much more of the working reality we experience, and other philosophies just flounder around seeking meaning even several thousands of years after there introduction . . .

Buzzed philosophy on a Monday, who knew . . . drinker

And still I smash my opponents, I knew there was a reason I was so mature and knew more than anyone else on the planet earth. Wow such an authority on every subject I am, I think ill start a thread where I talk about how poeple under 31 are so smart and mature . . .

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh noway noway noway noway noway laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
The problem with cognito ergo sum is that it assumes logic is not part of the deception.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/24/09 06:12 AM

Just wanted to note that Bohm's ideas about The Holographic Universe also points to a concept that what we consider "reality" (i.e. "physical") has an underlying "non-pysical" nature.
The Matrix?? LOL
That's not a bad analogy. drinker
It's not significantly different from solipsism.
Seems to me like it is. There are multiple individuals in the Matrix, and as I understand it, Bohm's theory doesn't say anything about individuals at all, only the nature of reality.
"I'm real but everyone around me and likely even my own body is illusionary." That's exactly what it is.
Well it may say that to you, but that's not what it says to me. To me it says, there is me and there are others, and those others are just as real as me.
As it doesn't say anything about individuals we're not precluded from having many others in the same situation.
Exactly.
So it fits solipsism perfectly.
Apparently, you and I have very different ideas about what consititutes solopsism.
How so? We seem to agree that solipsism doesn't have any problem with there being other people in an illusion.
But "we" don't.
"As it doesn't say anything about individuals we're not precluded from having many others in the same situation."
"Exactly."

How is that not us agreeing?
Maybe this is just a misunderstood referent.

I was referring to the Holographic Universe idea.

I don’t see how either the Holographic Universe, or “other people in the same situation” equates to solipsism. As I understand it, the Holographic Universe theory says nothing at all about individuals and so can’t be equated with solipsism in any way. And the idea of “other people” is contrary to the very foundation of solipsism.
Well we can take it one step further than solipsism and say that we're not real either. As just characters without knowledge flow from the player into us we're nothing more than an illusion.
Well that's not anywhere even close to an accurate description of what I'm talking about

That would be exactly equivalent to saying "As just characters without knowledge flow from the player into the players the players are nothing more than an illusion."

I doesn't make sense to me. And I honestly don't know how to repohrase it so that it does makes sense.

I guess one might say that, from the perspective of the character, the player is just an illusion. Or from the perspective of the player the character is an illusion.

But in any case, the simple fact that the game involves other players removes it from the realm of solipsism.
The characters in a game are representations of people- are they actual, real people? No. They're illusions that look like people.

I know illusion sounds a bit more like magic than technology but there's no significant difference between how "real" these things are.

If our whole existence is a game we're all just imaginary. Whether it's exactly an idea in someone/thing's head or that idea has been written out into some kind of computer program doesn't matter. It's just as fictional.

These words are all interchangeable as far as the idea behind solipsism is concerned. It's the same concept and these little details don't matter.
And so we're back to where I was about a dozeon posts ago - "Apparently, you and I have very different ideas about what consititutes solopsism."

As I understand it, solipsism rejects the idea that anything other then self exists. And since I believe that things other than self exist, I don't see it as fitting under the label of solipsism.
Well that's the simplest definition. If you go deeper it's about about what it's possible to know.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/24/09 06:09 AM

Regarding this...

Jeanniebean wrote:

Things are what we make them, after all. Things are what we say they are. Things are what we believe them to be.

We are the designers. We are the ultimate authority of what is. We decide what we will call "real" or "illusion."

It really does not matter what the truth of it is. What matters is what we believe it is.

Abracadabra wrote:

You can't expect the young greenhorns to comprehend this kind of wisdom Jeannie. This is the kind of wisdom that only comes with time. And unfortunately, some people don't even get it with time. It's just beyond their ability to comprehend.

This is the kind of presuppositional claim that completely depends upon age being equivocated with wisdom for it's truth value. Age does not equate to wisdom, and has nothing to do with the logical validity of the original claim(s).

A discerning individual notices the difference along with the childish name calling, yet does not reciprocate with an equal emotionally immature response, and that my good man, constitutes wisdom being put to use.

Nice ad hominem and non-sequitur.

The problem with religion (that I think everyone here recognizes,) is that it stalls your personal growth. You end up a permanent child and the only form of maturity praised is the growing dull enough to not ask questions.

Unfortunately I see most of this spiritualism in the same light. What I would really like right now is not for them to go on the defensive about that but look at themselves and see how this "whatever you believe" stuff is just a way to halt ever having to accept reality.

There's nothing to be found in what you believe. To say that's all that matters is to claim that you already know everything and with as much distaste as they seem to have when they claim we're doing that I can only hope that this is eye opening.

Shoku's photo
Tue 11/24/09 06:08 AM

The characters in a game are representations of people- are they actual, real people? No. They're illusions that look like people.

These words are all interchangeable as far as the idea behind solipsism is concerned. It's the same concept and these little details don't matter.

Games, particularly computer games can be played with the programming or there can be an actual conscious person behind a player.

Why would you think that just because we are involved in a game, that we would be imaginary?

The difference is that we are conscious thinking self aware entities with a will of our own. Does that sound imaginary to you? Even if you want to call all of that "imaginary" if you make it real enough to call it "reality" then call it "reality."

Things are what we make them, after all. Things are what we say they are. Things are what we believe them to be.

We are the designers. We are the ultimate authority of what is. We decide what we will call "real" or "illusion."

It really does not matter what the truth of it is. What matters is what we believe it is.

Ya, it applies less to your vision but with what sky has described these characters would most definitely be fictional entities.

huh

So we could decide that sniper bullets just bounce off of people?

Jeanniebean wrote:

You can't expect the young greenhorns to comprehend this kind of wisdom Jeannie. This is the kind of wisdom that only comes with time. And unfortunately, some people don't even get it with time. It's just beyond their ability to comprehend.

Hey sky. See what he's doing here? It's relevant to what I was talking about earlier.

So if we're made of billiard balls this changes everything? spock

I find this funny.

Some people find the idea that our true essence is eternal spirit to be more "real".

Other people find the idea that we are nothing more than a temporary collection of lifeless billard balls to be more "real".

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

Like Jeanniebean points out, what you ultiamtely believe is what's real for you no matter what the 'physics' behind is. That's basically irrelevant.

So for Sky, life is a game that he, as an eternal spirit is playing.

So that makes that real for him because that's what he believes.

If Shoku believes that he's a sack of atoms that's not playing any game, then that's his reality because that's what he believes.

In the end it truly doesn't matter because everyone is what they believe in the moment, because the moment is all that exists.

Even Einstein showed us the scientific truth of that.

So everyone believe what you like the best because that's what you are. You are what you believe you are. I AM that I AM.

That's the bottom line.
I don't believe anything, I've just been explaining atoms and things because you claimed to be an authority on science and were terribly inaccurate in your descriptions of it. I'm more involved in philosophy now because everyone seemed to prefer that and you stopped claiming your science was any good.

-

And I'm a goldfish but that doesn't make me have gills of scales or a swim bladder. Belief doesn't have much impact on what you are, just a lot of impact on what you think and do.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/23/09 07:18 PM

Just wanted to note that Bohm's ideas about The Holographic Universe also points to a concept that what we consider "reality" (i.e. "physical") has an underlying "non-pysical" nature.
The Matrix?? LOL
That's not a bad analogy. drinker
It's not significantly different from solipsism.
Seems to me like it is. There are multiple individuals in the Matrix, and as I understand it, Bohm's theory doesn't say anything about individuals at all, only the nature of reality.
"I'm real but everyone around me and likely even my own body is illusionary." That's exactly what it is.
Well it may say that to you, but that's not what it says to me. To me it says, there is me and there are others, and those others are just as real as me.
As it doesn't say anything about individuals we're not precluded from having many others in the same situation.
Exactly.
So it fits solipsism perfectly.
Apparently, you and I have very different ideas about what consititutes solopsism.
How so? We seem to agree that solipsism doesn't have any problem with there being other people in an illusion.
But "we" don't.
"As it doesn't say anything about individuals we're not precluded from having many others in the same situation."
"Exactly."

How is that not us agreeing?
Maybe this is just a misunderstood referent.

I was referring to the Holographic Universe idea.

I don’t see how either the Holographic Universe, or “other people in the same situation” equates to solipsism. As I understand it, the Holographic Universe theory says nothing at all about individuals and so can’t be equated with solipsism in any way. And the idea of “other people” is contrary to the very foundation of solipsism.
Well we can take it one step further than solipsism and say that we're not real either. As just characters without knowledge flow from the player into us we're nothing more than an illusion.
Well that's not anywhere even close to an accurate description of what I'm talking about

That would be exactly equivalent to saying "As just characters without knowledge flow from the player into the players the players are nothing more than an illusion."

I doesn't make sense to me. And I honestly don't know how to repohrase it so that it does makes sense.

I guess one might say that, from the perspective of the character, the player is just an illusion. Or from the perspective of the player the character is an illusion.

But in any case, the simple fact that the game involves other players removes it from the realm of solipsism.

Shoku's photo
Mon 11/23/09 07:04 PM

You have apparently mistaken "using a more accurate analogy" for "dismissal".

The "things" I am referring to (including the "character") are a part of the game, the "person" I am referring to is the creator/player of the game.

I didn't say or mean the person was like the car. I meant the body is like the car and the person is like the driver.
And when do we ever interact with anything but the body?
If you consider communicating with someone else as “interacting” with them, then I would say we interact with things other than bodies all the time, if indirectly.

And while it’s true that most people are (or at least believe they are) unable to interact directly with anything other than their own body, that is not necessarily true of everyone – as evidenced by literally millions of anecdotal reports, not to mention scientific studies, such as those done by PEAR into man/machine interfaces and remote viewing.
Here's a good example of you starting to do what I complained about Abra doing: PEAR's random number maker isn't random or used professionally but you've just ignored that and thrown them onto the list of evidence again.
And there’s a good example of what you are ignoring:

1) The fact that your estimation of the randomity of the electronic RNG is totally irrelevant to the experiments. What is relevant is that it provides a verifiable baseline to compare against, which baseline is perfectly valid within the parameters and purposes of the experiment.

Actually it's their estimate. They defined what was significant and then the baseline went past that boundary. By their own definition the baseline isn't random.

2) The fact that the RNG is only one of several devices use in the experiments.
Want to tell me about the others?

3) The reference to the remote viewing experiments.
Also something other groups haven't found to work the way PEAR said it did.

4) The actual answer I gave to the question you asked.
What was that by the way? I may have accidentally skipped it.

So in fact, you have ignored virtually everything I said in my response.

Thus, as far as I’m concerned, your accusations of ignoring things are hollow at best.
I'm going to take this claim seriously but unfortunately I'm technically too tied up right now to even be taking the time to keep replying in here (bad me, bad,) but I'm going to have to ask you to dig up the relevant posts that show this stuff.

But in any case, you may completely ignore the relevance of the PEAR experiments if you wish and just reply to the answer I gave to your question – or not. It’s up to you.
What did I skip?

Sure, if that’s what the rules of the game said and you were playing by the rules.
I don't like this answer. There are two things you could be doing here.
A: agreeing with me and dropping the subject.
B: disagreeing with me here by implying that those aren't the rules for this game but not giving any kind of explanation for that.
Ok, let me “build back”.

The basic premise is that the players of the game are also the creators of the game. Thus, the player-creators are the one’s who make and/or agree to the rules that they will play by. So if one decides that backups/restores are allowed, then that is a rule the creator of that rule will play by - if he so chooses.

By stating a hypothetical situation (stealing hubcaps) and asserting rule (backup/restore or new character) you’ve simply created a rule that one might play by.

So I was simply acknowledging the fact that the hypothetical situation you presented does not conflict with any of the premises.
So does this mean that morality is nothing but random nonsense? That our only reason for being moral is because our players feel like it?

Once anybody figures out how to exploit the system to do these things without getting caught word travels fast.
Well, first of all, in this particular case, it hasn’t, which belies that statement. (Unless you’re asserting that no one has every figured out how to exploit the system because word hasn’t traveled fast – which, if I understand correctly, is formally called “arguing from ignorance”.)
No, it would be an argument from ignorance if I was saying my not understanding something was the reason it couldn't work that way.

The obvious other reason that word traveling fast yet there not being any exploiters would be that we don't reincarnate with any kind of ability to make use of what we learned in previous lives/characters, like what a player would know. To maintain that there is a player who may have played previous characters you can explain why word wouldn't have traveled fast or why nobody would know about exploits-

and I'd say the "everyone is a designer of the game so they don't want to screw it up" thing is an argument for why they wouldn't spread exploits, though I don't see why it would take billions to program the game engine and if most are participating at a more user-based level of creation then there are lots of reasons left for them to cheat.

It's getting relatively abstract though and I don't expect you to necessarily understand massively multiplayer meta-gaming mechanics so you don't have to keep pursuing this point if you don't want to.

Secondly, since “the system” is of one’s own creation (or by one’s own agreement with other’s creations), then “exploiting the system” is really only exploiting one’s own creation or one’s agreements with others. I.e. “exploiting the system” is really only exploiting oneself. (Such things as “Karma” have expressed this same concept.)
Just look at company CEOs and the ilk who embezzle huge sums of money. There are very obvious motives to exploit your own system when it involves other people.

Are our players all just much stupider than their characters or something?
Don’t make the mistake of identifying characters with players.
I meant exactly what that sounds like. A WoW character may be an expert leatherworker when their player knows jack squat about leatherworking.

No, a player cannot be “stupider” than a because a character(body/car) has no intelligence to speak of.
Does a driver need to know how an internal combustion engine works to press the pedal that makes the car go forward?

*I'm considering this a two parter so if you want to respond to this read the next piece first.

It operates on a strictly mechanistic, stimulus-response basis. The intelligence rests with the player/self/driver, not the character/body/car.
And our bodies/the characters might be strictly stimulus-response. What would it look like if we weren't?

For all we know the player interface just lets them type in what they want us to do and then like pressing the gas pedal we go and do it without them having had to know how.

Bullshlt. You can so. You don't have to tell me about a particular person's reasons, you can just list potential reasons so as to show that it makes sense.
Which is exactly what I did in the succeeding paragraph and which you seem to have chosen to completely ignore. (Or more accurately “quote mine out”.)
I didn't take it out of the post. It's sitting right there for anyone to read and say "oh, it was silly of Sho to complain like that right before sky did what he was saying he should."

But you're right (enough.) I write my responses as I'm reading through these so I don't know what's coming next. Any time I make irrelevant objections like that you can just say "way ahead of you" or something and move on~

So what's a potential way to keep people from dicking up the game? I can think of two ways right now but I'm concerned with how you solve the problem.
Again, remember that the players are also the creators. So the only “dicking up the game” possible is to “dick up” one’s own agreements with other players. Unless you consider changing one’s own creation to be dicking up one’s own creation. But no one can prevent that, since it isone’s own creation.
But messing up someone else's creation is clearly possible here. If not for the sake of angering anyone you're not on the best of terms with then you can save it for coercion purposes (and if you don't go through with a few threats people learn that they're hollow and won't let you influence them that way anymore.)

The best I can do is again compare it to something simple like basketball.

Different people have different reasons for playing basketball. Some play it for exercise. Some play it for fun. Some play it to make money. Some people play it simply for something to do. Some people play it for different reason at different times. And some people like to watch it, but not to play it – also for various reasons. And some people think it’s a stupid, pointless game. But no one has to play it, and no one has to follow the rules if they do play it.

And the same thing applies to computer-based MMORPGs. And the same thing applies to the “universe game”.

The main difference is that, from a human perspective of the universe game, very few believe they have a choice in the matter.
This still doesn't explain where the people are who are breaking the rules.
Again, referring back to the premise that the game is a co-creation of the players, the rules are created and/or agreed to by the creator/players. So the only thing that can be “broken” are the agreements.
Humanity has broken peace treaties many times. It should be plain as day that as time marches on people have reason to no longer feel so attached to their agreements.

What you are referring to as “breaking the rules”, I would describe more accurately as “breaking the agreement to abide by the rules”. But the rules themselves are simply the creations of the players.
Ya, I just didn't think there was any reason to type out that many extra words when "breaking the rules" conveys the same idea.

From the perspective of a single player, excluding any agreements with other players, the rules are not “broken”, they are simply “changed”.
So why don't people change them to get their way? Why not just give your character a million bucks and servants to deal with the crap they don't want to?

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 20 21