Community > Posts By > TBRich

TBRich's photo
Fri 02/20/15 06:54 AM

Stalemate? Nope!! The bible account of cration is the only reliable and authentic record of how and why we are here. Read it daily and have peace from above

Why Biblical Literalism is Wrong Part 1: Creation Myths
Posted by KJ at 12:54 AM
Something that seems to plague conservative Christianity is the idea that the Bible is literally true, literally the word of god and that it is infallible. This becomes problematic from the very start of the bible with the Genesis creation myth. Besides the extremely basic distinctions between the "historical" texts, law texts, prophetic texts, gospels and epistles, biblical literalists don't seem to be able to grasp the more specific genres contained within certain books.
First off, with Genesis, the first few chapters belong to the genre of Creation myth. The Genesis story is not unique, original, or true in any sense and to interpret it as such shows an enormous misunderstanding of the genre. It isn't meant to be interpreted literally because creation myths were symbolic narratives that described how the known world came to be, not scientifically accurate accounts of actual events. They developed in the same way most folklore does, by being passed down orally through many generations. Genesis was written down to preserve the cultural tradition of the Israelite creation myth. This is most likely the reason why there are two different accounts of the same basic story contained in Genesis. Chapter one and two give two divergent accounts of the same basic story, the events are in different orders, one contains details that the other doesn't and vice versa. The biblical creation story is a myth, nothing more, and we find parallels to it all throughout early human history, many of which predate the Israelites. If you want to understand the Genesis creation narrative, you interpret it within its cultural context, not take it as infallible, literal truth.

Seriously, it is not even internally reliable or consistent
All those twisted and distorted view of yours about the holy bible account: and you are a "christian" according to your profile?

1. An ad hominem response? usually a sign of someone with no other argument; I did not question your faith, but your scientific and biblical literacy.2. Most denomiations of X'ianity do not conform to a literal or "fundamentalism". 3. The text is the text, read it more carefully and in context

TBRich's photo
Fri 02/20/15 06:38 AM
Women drivers

TBRich's photo
Fri 02/20/15 06:38 AM
Women drivers

TBRich's photo
Fri 02/20/15 06:27 AM

I'm only interested in people who have overcome financial hardship through hard work, dedication, and perseverance. I don't mind if they used government funding or any means that never hurt anyone to accomplish this. However, he must be handsome with a good sense of humor. Is this reasonable enough or too picky?

Thanks for the warning

TBRich's photo
Fri 02/20/15 06:25 AM
Sometimes reading profiles is the human equivalent to taking ambien

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 06:29 PM
Experiencing the degrading after-effects of living

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 06:04 PM
I like a woman with a butt that you can grab and take a car antenna to

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 02:08 PM
Wait the OP's nic is stunky? Is that the past tense of stinky? I like it- don't worry about faceless profiles, worry about the soulless ones

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 01:40 PM
ill O'Reilly and Fox News Call for Holy War Against ISIS
This is exactly what ISIS wants.
By Zaid Jilani / AlterNet February 18, 2015
Print
197 COMMENTS
Last night, Fox News' Bill O'Reilly finally gave ISIS what it wants: a declaration that the West and Middle East are, indeed, in a holy war.

In a segment titled, “The Holy War Begins,” O'Reilly used the recent murders of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians to slam President Obama's approach to ISIS, and quoted a list of religious leaders, including Roman Catholic Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who warned that ISIS threatens “civilization, everything that is decent and noble about humanity. It is a worldwide crisis that cannot, must not, be ignored.”

O'Reilly then ran through the gamut of this week's right-wing complaints about Obama. These ranged from critiques of the State Department's Marie Harf's statement that ISIS cannot be defeated solely with military means, to a bizarre critique that the White House somehow did not recognize that the 21 Egyptians murdered by terrorists were Christian. He concluded with the statement that “the Holy War is here and unfortunately it seems the president will be the last one to acknowledge it.”

Click to enlarge.
His comments seem to be the climax of weeks of agitation from Fox News and other right-wing commentators about Obama avoiding the phrase “Islamic extremism” when talking about ISIS and other terrorists. “Say it, Obama, 'Islamic,'” instructed Fox News contributor Michael Goodwin. Fox contributor Todd Starnes invoked the biblical “Lake of Fire” in counter-terrorism strategy. Christian evangelist Franklin Graham appeared on Greta Van Susteren's show to explain that Obama just had too much affinity for Islam:

His mother was married to a Muslim, his father was a Muslim. Then she married a man from Indonesia. He was raised in Indonesia. Went to Islamic schools. I assume she was a Muslim. So his whole life, his experiences have been surrounded by Islam. He only knows Islam. And he has given a pass to Islam. He is refusing to understand the evil that is in front of him

What O'Reilly and others at Fox seem to be missing is that there's a pretty good reason no world leader here in the West or in the Middle East has accepted the frame that we're in a “holy war”: it's exactly what ISIS wants. In November 2014, ISIS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi declared in a televised address that “fighting is obligatory upon each individual” Muslim, and referred to the United States and allied forces as “crusaders”—invoking the imagery of a holy war like those fought between the Church and Muslim empires centuries ago.

In other words, the Fox crowd wants Americans to feel this is a conflict between Muslims and non-Muslims—ignore for a second that ISIS is being fought by the Muslim Syrian army, Iranian military, Hezbollah, Free Syrian Army, Iraqi Army, Lebanese Army, Egyptian Army, UAE Army, Jordanian military, and others who share the Islamic faith—and ISIS' leaders also want their base to feel like this is a conflict between Muslims and non-Muslims.

So Fox News and ISIS share at least one goal: a holy war between Islam and the West. Sadly for them, most people in both places aren't biting.

Zaid Jilani is an AlterNet contributing writer. Follow @zaidjilani on Twitter.

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 01:10 PM
I have learned to live with what I can't rise above

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 01:09 PM
People who take up one half of the grocery store aisle with their cart and the other half just standing and staring at the opposite shelf

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 01:07 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy_(Catholic_Church)

In conversations with Xians, I find most of them deny the Matthew verse you quoted- I often ask them why would I convert to a faith that wants me to cut my penis off? Isn't this another contradiction from "be fruitful and multiply"?

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 01:03 PM
If I had to pick a theory, I would probably go with the White Hand/Black Hand theory; fits in with the CIA/MI6 plot to kill Ted Kennedy

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 12:56 PM

If Pop Francis walk up today and decided for the church that all Catholic "monks" should start having children, what would be your reaction?

Depends on if he says it ex cathedra

Okay, TB Rich has made the reference to the Pope as 'ex cathedra', which I'm assuming is 'no-longer-seated'.

A Cardinal or a Bishop mite very-well be differently opinionated so-long as they're not the Pope. But, the opportunity to hold the office and not have some opinion seems unlikely.

I think it's important to note that the very concept of Monistic life for men and women is also a latter Church idea. There is absolutely no reference to any 'Monastic Orders' in the Bible.

"From the chair or throne" this is the only time the pope is considered to be infallible by doctrinal law; this however has only been evoked three times in the history of the papacy and were all basically in reference to Mary

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 12:51 PM

Too many from overseas trying to meet people from Australia , anybody from overseas i just remove them as they are possibly only out to scam you , stick with people from my own country , that's best.

I am trying to stick to people from my own planet, but gosh- well you am to judge?

TBRich's photo
Wed 02/18/15 12:49 PM

Stalemate? Nope!! The bible account of cration is the only reliable and authentic record of how and why we are here. Read it daily and have peace from above

Why Biblical Literalism is Wrong Part 1: Creation Myths
Posted by KJ at 12:54 AM
Something that seems to plague conservative Christianity is the idea that the Bible is literally true, literally the word of god and that it is infallible. This becomes problematic from the very start of the bible with the Genesis creation myth. Besides the extremely basic distinctions between the "historical" texts, law texts, prophetic texts, gospels and epistles, biblical literalists don't seem to be able to grasp the more specific genres contained within certain books.
First off, with Genesis, the first few chapters belong to the genre of Creation myth. The Genesis story is not unique, original, or true in any sense and to interpret it as such shows an enormous misunderstanding of the genre. It isn't meant to be interpreted literally because creation myths were symbolic narratives that described how the known world came to be, not scientifically accurate accounts of actual events. They developed in the same way most folklore does, by being passed down orally through many generations. Genesis was written down to preserve the cultural tradition of the Israelite creation myth. This is most likely the reason why there are two different accounts of the same basic story contained in Genesis. Chapter one and two give two divergent accounts of the same basic story, the events are in different orders, one contains details that the other doesn't and vice versa. The biblical creation story is a myth, nothing more, and we find parallels to it all throughout early human history, many of which predate the Israelites. If you want to understand the Genesis creation narrative, you interpret it within its cultural context, not take it as infallible, literal truth.

Seriously, it is not even internally reliable or consistent

TBRich's photo
Tue 02/17/15 06:36 PM
Edited by TBRich on Tue 02/17/15 06:37 PM

Say TB Rich, I'm confident You'd find this short film very interesting.

Basically, it is an exercise is asking One's own self... 'Why am I Me?'

Are You (Put Your Name Here) more than the sum of Your bodily parts?

Hypothetically speaking, if there was MORE than one of 'You'... Which one would be the You, YOU would be aware of????????

I think you might might like Assangoli's PsychoSynthesis or as an old professor would say "The Great Assangoli!"

TBRich's photo
Tue 02/17/15 06:10 PM

http://youtu.be/pdxucpPq6Lc

There you go sheik .. John weldon's to be .. :-)

Its pretty cute :-)

Thank You So Much Blondey111...

But, I also hope You're not content to only watch this once!

There's much too much deep-thought that this little film presents, for all Mingle Users to contemplate.

***************** I WANT EVERYBODY TO VEIW IT **************** smokin

Apparently my server no longer supports youtube, time for an upgrade.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

TBRich's photo
Mon 02/16/15 01:32 PM

In that case, I'll stand by my original statement. :thumbsup:

I will take this as agreement

TBRich's photo
Mon 02/16/15 01:28 PM
Fights with my ex were usually about sex and money- she was charging me way too much

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25