Community > Posts By > Pansytilly

no photo
Tue 10/06/15 08:23 AM

Interesting page.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/faithandreason/perspectives4.html

FAITH vs. BELIEF
While the words faith and belief tend to be used somewhat interchangeably in theological discussions, there has long been an effort among writers and theologians to differentiate between the two. Just what the subtle distinction is, however, has become a source of debate.

Religious scholar Elaine Pagels laid out her thoughts in an interview with Bill Moyers:

"Faith is a quality of relationship. One has faith. And faith can be verified in experience. If I have faith in you, or you have faith in me, it can be betrayed, or it can be verified. Belief can be a system. It can be, but many people say Christian tradition traditionally said, 'Well, believe in this. You have no verification, but you're just supposed to take it on somebody else's word.' That's very different from verifying in experience the faith that comes through relationship with another person, or with a divine source."

no photo
Tue 10/06/15 07:53 AM

I have always thought that the opposite of fear is courage or
bravery.
May I know the reason why it is faith?
Faith is synonymous to acceptance, confidence or conviction or a combination of the 3.

That would depend on your understanding and of what courage, cowardice, fear and faith are.

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 05:11 PM
Edited by Pansytilly on Mon 10/05/15 05:17 PM

I think Deepak has indulged in one too many magic mushrooms bigsmile

Spirituality is self love .. seeking the change and power within himself, ... where it has been all along...:heart: No deity is required .. Despite what the church believes one does not need to consume the body and blood of Christ to be spiritual .. that just requires creative magical thinking :wink: :wink:

the "one answer fits all questions" answer... that way, you never need to ask any questions,you already know the answer is "just because, thats the way god wants it"... never has to be a rhyme or reason, because god is a mystery... seems like a weak minded, scared persons inability to try to figure it out on their own...

so why does there need to be a magical deity? whats a soul, a spirit? the questions seem to stop when the magical being comes into the answer... so half questions with half answers are good enough for some, but not for me...

I dunno about magic mushrooms...more likely deepak just likes money. He is developing and marketing himself as a brand by inventing new ideas from old ones (by bastardizing those with attractive words?) that many people seem to be buying into.

Spirituality and self love...Are you referring to your reasons or his?

-----

The questions "why", and "why not" are ones with infinite numbers of possibilities ( and probable impossibilities)

Are you saying that some people choose not to believe because they have not received satisfactory answers to "why"?

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 09:30 AM
Edited by Pansytilly on Mon 10/05/15 09:43 AM
fair point. but not entirely true.

He does seem philosophical tho, in his own brand of new age religion/science mixture kind of way. He has his roots in Hinduism and seems to use that to color his philosophy on several other popular major religions and what is termed by many as pseudoscience, in order to produce a new kind of belief.

It seems like he is collecting a following for himself by writing books referencing several organized religions/belief systems by presenting his own less traditional interpretation of who he thinks Jesus is and what he projects/assumes Jesus would say in the present time.

He also does this with Muhammad. He also does this with God. He also does this with science. There is no mention about what he thinks of Allah...but i guess he considered that covered when he wrote about God...he also has books titled "life after death", "Buddha", "the thirteenth disciple".

i do wonder how much money he made be introducing this kind of new philosophy (and perhaps, soon-to-be belief?) to the general public?
but his real feeling of God existing or not, well...i think may still be questionable since it appears that he will agree to just about anything.

thank you for the research material you prompted. here are some links and excerpts.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Deepak_Chopra
As Deepak Chopra taught us, quantum physics means anything can happen at any time for no reason!
-Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Colbert: Are you a prophet?
Chopra: If you spell it p-r-o-f-i-t.
-��Chopra on the Colbert Report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepak_Chopra
Chopra has been described as "America's most prominent spokesman for Ayurveda". He mixes ideas associated with quantum mechanics with Ayurvedic medicine in what he calls "quantum healing".

Chopra has described the AIDS virus as emitting "a sound that lures the DNA to its destruction". The condition can be treated, according to Chopra, with "Ayurveda's primordial sound". Taking issue with this view, medical professor Lawrence Schneiderman has said that ethical issues are raised when alternative medicine is not based on empirical evidence and that, "to put it mildly, Dr. Chopra proposes a treatment and prevention program for AIDS that has no supporting empirical data".
Chopra has likened the universe to a "reality sandwich" which has three layers: the "material" world, a "quantum" zone of matter and energy, and a "virtual" zone outside of time and space, which is the domain of God, and from which God can direct the other layers. Chopra has written that human beings' brains are "hardwired to know God" and that the functions of the human nervous system mirror divine experience. Chopra has written that his thinking has been inspired by Jiddu Krishnamurti, a 20th-century speaker and writer on philosophical and spiritual subjects.

In 2012, reviewing War of the Worldviews – a book co-authored by Chopra and Leonard Mlodinow – physics professor Mark Alford says that the work is set out as a debate between the two authors, "[covering] all the big questions: cosmology, life and evolution, the mind and brain, and God". Alford considers the two sides of the debate a false opposition, and says that "the counterpoint to Chopra's speculations is not science, with its complicated structure of facts, theories, and hypotheses," but rather Occam's razor.

In August 2005, Chopra wrote a series of articles on the creation-evolution controversy and Intelligent design, which were criticized by science writer Michael Shermer, founder of The Skeptics Society. Shermer has said that Chopra is "the very definition of what we mean by pseudoscience".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/why-god-makes-more-sense-_b_6212042.html
Why God Makes More Sense than Atheism by Deepak Chopra
excerpt:

1. Science isn't by definition anti-religious.
2. Atheists have a point when they accuse organized religion of a litany of gross failings, including crusades, jihads, and the Inquisition. But religions are human institutions prone to every human failing. Religious history is about us, not about whether God exists.
3. God can be approached without resorting to the cultural mythology of a humanized Father and Mother watching over us from Heaven. Atheists largely attack this myth, but smashing a myth doesn't mean you've smashed reality.
4. There is a rich tradition, both East and West, of an impersonal God.
5. God is the source of consciousness and all that we associate with consciousness: self-awareness, intelligence, creativity, evolution, etc.
6. The experience of God is found inside our own consciousness, not "out there" in a supernatural realm.

1. If all experience is subjective, going inward is a valid means of exploring reality.
2. In this exploration, new levels of consciousness reveal themselves.
3. At deeper levels of consciousness, perception changes radically.
4. As perception changes, so does reality itself, since nothing is real for us beyond what we can perceive in some way.
5. The conjunction of the individual mind with the source of consciousness is where God lives.

http://www.creationsmagazine.com/articles/C114/Chopra.html
HOW TO KNOW GOD
by Deepak Chopra
excerpt:

I believe that the experience of God is available to anyone regardless of their religious background or lack of it. The human nervous system is hardwired to experience God.

God is defined as infinite intelligence and therefore infinite creativity. The universe is a manifestation of this infinite creativity. Whenever we create something new in our lives, we tap into the infinite mind. The miracles that are described in every spiritual tradition are manifestations of the creativity that we have access to when we tap into "the mind of God." Einstein once said "I want to know how God thinks, everything else is a detail."

blue detail is in reference also to the conversation with mightymoe regarding Einstein's view on God

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 08:14 AM

I met a woman the other day..
. And for a brief moment I was calling out God's name... it was very Spiritualhappy happy :angel:

..or this ^^ ...same difference...lol..

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 08:12 AM

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 08:08 AM
bigsmile

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 08:04 AM

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 07:56 AM

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 07:37 AM
in my experience...spiritual experiences are very difficult to describe accurately into mere words.

too open for misinterpretation...

...i think partly because it is very surreal, like it has no clear reference of which it can be based on...such that the more details you put, the less understandable it becomes.

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:47 AM
lmao..

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:45 AM
kaustuv and ladywind:

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:41 AM

((((Pansy))))
everyone does what works for them.
what works for me is immersing myself in other activities to not think about things I couldn't fix.
this last time it was dance class and softball.

before that it's been work and school.
also spend time with friends or family who love you and appreciate you as you are.

one day you realize you're in a better frame of mind and ready to venture out again.

you're beautiful and inspiring flowers :heart: flowers

(and yes, you got that song stuck in my head :smile: )

you too! :)

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:37 AM

I love being cared for by the best Father ever. flowerforyou

this ^^:thumbsup:

He and I may not always see eye to eye on many things...but there is no doubt that He is the best.

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:34 AM

so what is faith?
does faith lead to spiritual growth?
does your faith define who God is to you?
does your belief in God define your faith?
what do you have faith in?

not blind faith...lol....just faith...and how does this contribute to you?

so what is faith?
For me, faith is believing, without the need for evidence or proof.

does faith lead to spiritual growth?
Off course yes, faith does lead to spiritual growth.

does your faith define who God is to you?
Yes, my faith (in the scriptures) dictates that God is the creator,
From whom we came and to whom we will return,
Our parents as such, are simply vessels who bore us.

does your belief in God define your faith?
Yes, my belief in God and his scriptures,
define my faith, the terms and conditions (if you will)
of my contract with God.

what do you have faith in?
I have faith in God's word,
That He has sent to us many many many many Prophets and Messengers,
Such as Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (to name a few of the more well known Prophets and Messengers) to guide us and to ensure we stay on the righteous path and do not stray.

not blind faith...lol....just faith...
and how does this contribute to you?

In my eyes, real faith is faith or belief in your creator (God)
without the need for evidence or proof,
So therefore I equate it to "Blind Faith"

Off course I have faith in my fellow human beings,
faith in my family, and faith in whole heap of other things,
But that could be interpreted as "reliability" in these worldly things.

But when anyone says faith - I translate that as meaning faith in God, that he exists, that heaven and hell exist that we will be judged on the day of judgement.

AnnieRoo
I like and love and understand what AnnieRoo said of how she experienced faith. She had "Ultimate" faith that God would hear her and true to form her prayers were heard.

Often times we hear ministers of various faiths, say to us, ask for forgiveness and ask (God) for guidance, and most times we blow it off and not "really" believe, we just go through the motions but not put our "heart" into it.

I did state in an earlier thread elsewhere that I am not practising my religion, yes my faith is "Weak" this is not the same as "Not Believing"!!! I ask God for His forgiveness and for His guidance so that I may be of the guided ones and not a lost sheep.

Someone once said to me that he thinks of the hell-fire as a great washing machine, and when we commit sins our souls gain (for example) a black mark or black spot or dot, and while our souls contain these black marks, we cannot be permitted into heaven, and while being punished in the hell-fire, each of these black marks is washed away, and when the last mark is washed away (when we have been punished for our sins) then and only then are we permitted in to heaven (if at all)

I like this method of explanation and even an illiterate person (like myself - as I am illiterate in the sense of religion) can understand this.

Finally
We have fought and will fight many wars in the name of religion (the crusades) and in reality our religions are not so different, it is merely how we ourselves interpret what is written in our scriptures, and keep it in context of the topic being read (rather than taking it out of context!)

For example, our prayers are not so different, as can be seen below.

The Lords Prayer
=================
Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

Surah #1 in Quran
===================
In the name of Allah ,
the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.
[All] praise is [due] to Allah , Lord of the worlds -
The Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful,
Sovereign of the Day of Recompense.
It is You we worship and You we ask for help.
Guide us to the straight path -
The path of those upon whom You have bestowed favor,
not of those who have evoked [Your] anger or of those who are astray.
Ameen.

thank you, jaan. you brought a smile from the inside out...once again.biggrin
i like the way you express your faith, both process and content.

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:26 AM

1. so what is faith?
2. does faith lead to spiritual growth?
3. does your faith define who God is to you?
4. does your belief in God define your faith?
5. what do you have faith in?

1. this is a very open ended question.
faith is a belief, conviction or certainty. in many cases beyond the shadow of a doubt.
there can be faith in God, friends, family, my dog, the continuity of nature. many things beyond my control.

I get up every morning with the fairh, belief that the day will run a natural course. the sun will rise. the sun will set. my place of work will still be there. etc.
faith in family and friends. I believe beyond the shadow of a doubt that there are people in my family or true friends who will be there no matter what. especially with my family, regardless of differences we may have, the love we share is stronger and when the chips are down, they will be there.
faith in the man in my life that even though we live forty minutes away from each other and both have things that keep us busy, he cares and we are faithful to each other.
faith in my dog. not that we have ever trained him to be anything but friendly, yet we know he will lay down his life before allowing someone to hurt us.
Then there's the faith that encompasses all. faith in God.

I don't know how to answer the rest of your questions about spiritual growth, defining religion, etc.

I don't have educated examples or bible verses to share.

I can tell you I've seen God's hand in direct connection to things I've prayed about, big and little.
o know some people will ridicule my response on here, but that's ok. it doesn't change that I've had help from above.

it sounds silly but 2 examples have to do with our family dog. on one occasion, our pitbull was lost for a week. we searched everywhere and had no luck. he was my brother's baby. we didn't want to tell my brother his dog was missing because at the time he was deployed overseas.
one night I held a picture of the dog and prayed, dear God, please help him (the dog) find his way home.
the next morning by 6 am, my next door neighbor called me to hurry up and open our gate because my dog was patiently waiting to come in. she didn't open ir because he was big and all black and she was afraid of him.

there are other examples I can give you when I've known things were a response to a prayer. I can tell you if you want to know flowerforyou

ana, your stories are always inspiring and uplifting. thank you.
yes, i would love to hear the other things you have experienced. flowerforyou

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 06:23 AM

As you can see this explain how faith works.
I will share how I have experienced it.This is just one of many examples.

In the beginning of 1995 I was pregnant with my second child. We needed a car as we only had a single cab work truck. My daughter was due to be born at the end of October. I prayed at the beginning of the year for a car by the 15/10/95. I believe without doubt I would have a car. I also had to put my faith into action and by doing that I learnt the road code ready to sit the test for my learners.
I gave thanks in praying believing I will receive. Keeping in mind no one knew what I was dong but only God. The 15/10/95 came I did not receive the car. I still believe I would receive a car. I was not going to give up. my faith grew stronger because I refuse to let doubt in. Still no one knew what I was praying. On the 15/11/95 I received my first car. the person who gave me the car said I wanted to give it to you on the 15/10/95 but I wanted to make sure it was in perfect working order for you. The man also a christian prayed to the Lord, who do I give this car to? The Lord had told him to give the car to me.

I learnt through this how faith works.

I hope it helps you to understand

wonderful! :)

no photo
Mon 10/05/15 12:04 AM
No problem eric.
I didnt mean lost as just meaning "having then losing", it can also mean lost as in "not found". But then again, it may also signify something else completely for someone else.
Just as "believing" and "knowing" something can mean the same difference..lol...words have a way of being such, but the impact lies in the manner of assertion of what is expressed.
Thank you for clarifying.

-------

Yes Annie, that is true.
Which is also why I asked the question to begin with and after reading thru the comments and shared experiences of the posters, my understanding of the answer helps me realize certain things regarding The topic. The same answers likely has a different impact for you.

I can no more push or pander what i believe on others any more than others can force their belief on me.
For me, to understand what is not yet known is infinite. And growth proceeds with understanding.
That is why it is not a debate nor a bashing nor a converting thread. I try to refrain from that because provoking such has no purpose in real understanding.

Like I said, there is no such explicit material evidenciary proof to point beyond all doubt and reason whether God is real or not. We only have individual testimony of why He is or isn't and the personal reasons we have for being sure of it.

-----
As always, I appreciate both your inputs.

no photo
Sun 10/04/15 07:42 PM
Edited by Pansytilly on Sun 10/04/15 07:56 PM
Hello annie and jaan. waving
Thank you for your comments.

You do not come from the same religious background or belief system, but I noticed that you both made the comment on what spiritual matters are.
Yes, God is an all encompassing spiritual being, and the Most Divine and Holiest one at that, but by no means am I confining God with these two words alone.

I think the grasp of this particular concept is lost, which is why an understanding of God is lacking for some, hence the logical next step is the decision to disbelieve.
We can no more understand God by what we do not know (or do not want to know), anymore than we can understand anything else by defining it based on what cannot be conceived about it.

Jaan, i like the way you put it....
..."in my heart of heart"...

...is a good way of describing what Spirit is, in stark contrast to Body, Mind and Soul.
..everything else (words, actions, intentions, thoughts...etc) that proceeds from us (good or bad, right or wrong) has a basis in that.

-----

Welcome, prashant. :smile:

no photo
Sun 10/04/15 01:49 AM
Edited by Pansytilly on Sun 10/04/15 01:51 AM

moe, i have looked into some websites regarding your above post on Einstein and the "God letter" he wrote. thank you for providing a prompt from which i can use for research.

i do not know if your intention for posting what you did is the same as Einstein's for writing it.

here are some links and excerpts...

1.http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/einsteins-god-letter-a-translation-a-fool-the-truth/

First of all, Einstein for decades had been clear and unequivocal about believing in "Spinoza'��s God," and that he did not believe in the "personal" God of the Bible, or that the Bible was divine in origin.

His views were consistent over many years and there no other evidence of any departure from such views. And sure Einstein’s beliefs like the "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" tells us all we need to know about how that great mind thought: surely not in "boxes" of "yes" and "no" as most people would like him to.

The context of the letter appears to be Gutkind's elevation of Jewish "Monotheism," that is a personal God. So it appears reasonable to conclude that in using the word "God" Einstein may have simply referred to the concept of a Monotheistic Personal God, which he had already repudiated.

Here is how the letter sounds if you restore the original meaning:

"The word God for me is nothing more than the product and expression of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection full of honorable but still primitive legends.

No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can change it (for me). These refined interpretations are naturally highly diverse and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me, the unadulterated Jewish religion, like every other religion, is an incarnation of primitive superstitions.

And the Jewish people, to whom I gladly belong, and whose mentality I have deep affinity for, has for me however no different kind of dignity than any other people. As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, while a lack of power saves them from the worst excesses. So I can not perceive anything "chosen" to them."

2. http://www.deism.com/einsteingodletter.htm

Albert Einstein's "God Letter" Taken in Context by Bob Johnson

This thought provoking quote from Albert Einstein makes clear that Einstein rejected Gutkind's Jewish/Bible god but did not reject Nature's God: "I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations."

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said, "an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being"

Einstein characterized himself as "devoutly religious" in one specific sense as in the following statement:

The most beautiful emotion we can experience is the mystical. It is the power of all true art and science.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead.
To know that what is inpenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and
the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—
this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religiousness.
In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong to the rank of devoutly religious men.

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinozism

Spinozism (also spelled Spinoza-ism or Spinozaism) is the monist philosophical system of Baruch Spinoza which defines "God" as a singular self-subsistent substance, with both matter and thought being attributes of such.

In Spinozism, the concept of a personal relationship with God comes from the position that one is a part of an infinite interdependent "organism." Spinoza argued that everything is a derivative of God, interconnected with all of existence. Although humans only experience thought and extension, what happens to one aspect of existence will still affect others. Thus, Spinozism teaches a form of determinism and ecology and supports this as a basis for morality.

---
i think he had an idea of God that is apart from the definition of organized religion...

i agree, but we have to remember that they might not be his true thoughts, as people in his time were persecuted for not buying into the christian dogma of the times... things were way different back then...

he was jewish...and as stated, he wrote that letter in reference to his Jewish roots and the opinion of Gutkind regarding God in reference to the Jewish people and belief.
but basing on the other stuff he said...he wasn't referring to Christianity either, as Jesus, altho mentioned, was not a big part of his discourse.
the way i read it, his search was for truth...neither denying nor accepting God completely, but continually reflecting on the truth of who or what God is, apart from any arbitrary religious dogma. and he was never careless in his opinions, or lack of opinions about God or religion. and he was actually somewhat able to differentiate God from people's idea of God as a "moral" being based on human idea of morality.

yes, of course he was Jewish, but back then, if anyone openly stated they didn't believe in a god, they could have very easily ended up in jail or dead... that was not acceptable in that era... the US was a Christian country, ruled by Christians, like it or not...Freedom of religion was in the constitution, but they understood it more as "better have a religion"... so that's why i said it might not have been his true thoughts, but something that would have been acceptable to not get persecuted... but that's my theory, it may be exactly as quoted...

ok...i can understand that...

it is a matter of speculation and interpretation....like the bible or any religious text...like God...like many other things....taken to mean one thing or another...could be real or imagined...

and that is the answer to your question of why even just one God and one bible...there are many religions/sects stemming from it...
one Einstein, one letter... many ways of looking at it...
all dependent on context and intent and extent of interpretation and misinterpretation.

a theory based on a reality

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25