Community > Posts By > ViaMusica

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 10:17 PM
Reptile

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 10:16 PM
No.

Have you ever made homemade jam or jelly?

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 10:15 PM
Radiohead

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 09:52 PM
Wow, Timmy's is playing that kind of game now?

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 09:49 PM

I am catholic, raised episcopalian in a quaker community. my ancesttors on my father's side were german baptists from an amish community (I am from Pennsylvania)

many years ago I began to incorporate some concepts from eastern religious thought into my idea. I am not very religious. Stricly a new testament christian, I am interested only in the practical teachings of Christ and the Buddha & incorporating that into my own life.

I am not interested in man's laws as it relates to religion

I do nt worry about understanding intangibles. I understand them as ideas come to me over time.

I am very happy in my religious practice. It is not a struggle. It amuses me when others argue about religion :)

Small world. My family are Dunkard. Why did your OGBB live in an Amish community? Do the Baptists and Anabaptists commune together in Pennsylvania? Hey...we could run the Mingle bake sale together. laugh

they had a german baptist cloisters in ephrata pa which is the heart of amich country - they lived in the cloistered community not necessarily among the deutchers tho they were german themselves I suppose. my father's family was presbyterian and they were tradesmen not farmers....I guess that is what his branch of the family evolved to outside of the cloister as his branch of that family left the cloister and went to NE Pennsylvania (presumably to work the coal mines or the railroads during the big coal times)

some of this history I have had to piece together and some is known. interestingly I found a reference to the ephrata cloisters in the amich museum here in Ohio when I vacationed in Tuscarawas County a couple years ago. (Ohio is now a slightly larger amich community than ephrata/lancaster county Pa)

Small world. I currently live in greater Cleveland, Ohio (having previously lived in southwestern, northwestern and central Ohio) and have friends in Tuscarawas county. I drive through Ohio's Amish country with some regularity, as well as Amish areas in western Pennsylvania, and I grew up in Chautauqua county, New York, which also has a sizeable Amish population.

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 09:44 PM

I call myself Pagan and practice honoring the Divine (God/Creator/Universal Life Force) through many of the ancient gods. I believe each of these gods was created by man in order to interact with them in a way humans could comprehend. The technique works well for me and I feel a strong connection to the Divine through my chosen gods.

I agree with Cynderella in that I believe religions evolve (or they should) as man has evolved and our understanding of the universe expands. It can be difficult because people want to hold on to what they know and what they are comfortable with. No matter how much it's not working anymore.

I believe religion is a very important part of the human experience. Thank you for sharing your beliefs with me. :heart:

You and I are on the same page. :smile:

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 09:43 PM

I don't affiliate myself with any one religion not even atheism.

I'm a MoonsDragonLionWolf known as Lunar.
I'll only bow to the moon and Luna.

:smile:

Atheism isn't a religion anyway. I mean, is bald a hair color?

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 09:39 PM
I understand where y'all are coming from, and I'm not offended. I do think my case might be unusual, so I'm not going to pretend it's the norm, although I do think that mutual FWB might be more common than anyone supposes. And if it truly is mutual and pleasurable, then in my opinion, no one is being "used" because the sex becomes a mutual sharing.

I've actually had two FWB in my life. The first one (way back in my twenties; let's call him JK) DID result temporarily in my feeling hurt when I developed feelings that he didn't, but once I reminded myself that he'd already gone on record as saying he wasn't looking for a romance I realized I couldn't blame him for his honesty, as he genuinely was a friend. I got over it, and will even admit that after my next relationship went sour and I felt I needed an outlet, I went back ONCE to that well with JK to get it out of my system... because at least I knew he wouldn't feel used. I dunno; maybe in some ways I approach sex a bit more like a guy supposedly does, although I don't think I always or even usually do. But I can, and perhaps that makes the difference. I have a high libido; maybe that's a factor?

Given my choice, I'd far rather find ONE man with whom to spend the rest of my life in a committed, loving and yes, sexual relationship. But if for some reason I knew I was never going to have that, then I'll take a relaxed and playful sex life with trusted partners I care about as people and as friends over a life of celibacy. Again, that's just me speaking for myself, and I ascribe no particular attitude otherwise to anyone, your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, and if you're going to spindle or mutilate I'd rather not know about it. laugh

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 06:01 PM
Edited by ViaMusica on Thu 07/04/13 06:02 PM

Nkocie, I for one have never seen the "benefit" in FWB. I've never seen that scenario actually benefit anyone for longer than it take sheets to cool. noway

this may be the most intelligent thing I have ever read on here

FWB is a spoiled male's con job

we cougar types is waaaay smaaartflowerforyou

I'll respectfully disagree on this one. My ex-husband started out as someone I was just friends with, and after we'd been friends with each other for a couple of years, *I* decided I wanted to be FWB. I was really not looking for a romance with him, because I'd had a couple of relationships end really painfully in the two years leading up to that point. But we trusted each other and I figured we could enjoy the physical pleasures and each other's company without getting too involved.

Not long afterward, *he* decided he wanted a full-scale relationship with me, and it took him nearly two months to talk me into it. Don't get me wrong -- by then we were essentially dating exclusively, but I wouldn't come right out and call it that. Not to mention that we lived at least two hours apart.

Well, I capitulated, and then moved to be with him. We lasted a decade, and we're now back to being just friends (WITHOUT the physical stuff now)... but we definitely started out as FWB and that wasn't a con on anyone's part.

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 02:09 PM
Robert Heinlein

Iain M. Banks

Spider Robinson

Harry Turtledove

Greg Bear

Larry Niven

Diane Duane

C.J. Cherryh

James P. Hogan, but I really only liked his old stuff from the 70s and 80s. He pretty much went off the deep end after that.

Pearl S. Buck

Gore Vidal

James Michener

Diana Gabaldon, for the depth of her historical research

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 11:01 AM

I was raised in a strict puritan house of bible worship and old timey Christian devotion.

Ironically, DUE to detailed study of the scriptures coupled with knowledge of modern concepts that my elders were never exposed to...by the time I was 15 I believed in a universal spirit more than a divine being.

I have grown in that belief to feel that all religions are representations of a universal energy as they were perceived, described and passed down through ages of fearful and naïve generations of uneducated leaders. In other words, they wrote the only explanations they could fathom with what little understanding of the world they had at the time. Perspective is everything in what we believe we know.

So in a way I believe in most every religious moral standard as having captured the basic universal knowledge for universal peace and harmony, but not the deity they credit creation, existence and knowledge WITH.

flowerforyou

I can relate to this. I was raised Lutheran, and was quite devout for several years. However, having read the Bible extensively along with quite a bit of analysis, and having several friends and others close to me who followed different faith paths, I branched out and studied religion in the wider sense. I also took a comparative religions course in college that gave me the tools to see where the commonalities and the differences between faiths are found and the historical progression of ideas between them as they had contact with each other over the millennia. And I realized that I simply could not accept the idea of personal salvation vs damnation on the basis of one's belief or disbelief in a particular narrative. It just felt wrong to me, at the level of heart and soul.

I explored other faiths, read some more, and asked God (as understood said entity) a great many questions. Now, I've had direct spiritual experiences, bidirectional conversations with the Divine, throughout my life. (No, this element of my story is not open for debate because it is a personal and subjective experience. Thank you.) I can distill the answers I received down to one basic formula: No one religion has a monopoly on truth or on God, in any form. The Divine is far too enormous to be contained in any man-made box, but is willing to interact with us through nearly any medium we as mortals find useful, and will wear the masks we make for Him/Her/It/Them -- within reason -- if that's what it takes to facilitate that interaction. We are, in essence, one with that same pool of energy that fuels and forms the Divine entity itself, and as long as we can find ways to love and respect each other, we are doing things right.

I found the Unitarian Universalist faith to be a perfect fit for me, because their beliefs and teachings match up exactly with what I learned in my own search. I joined that church, and am at home there -- so much so that I am considering the possibility of pursuing a seminary degree. Granted, that's something that has percolated in the back of my mind since my teen years, although now rather than doing so in a Lutheran seminary I would attend a Unitarian-Universalist one if I were to indeed take that plunge.

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 10:13 AM
It wasn't quiet in my neighborhood earlier. Someone was setting off fireworks in broad daylight. Scared the bejeezus out of my cats.

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 10:11 AM
because some people's lives aren't strange enough

ViaMusica's photo
Thu 07/04/13 10:09 AM
Trust me, I'm friends with my ex-husband but we will never be "friends with benefits". That's actually what started us off on the road to what became our marriage, but we're no longer interested in each other romantically or sexually, and when we realized that about ourselves that's what ended our marriage.

Men and women CAN be friends.

ViaMusica's photo
Wed 07/03/13 11:05 PM
Edited by ViaMusica on Wed 07/03/13 11:05 PM

I remained close with every man I've ever dated. I would never consider dating any of them again even though our reasons for breaking things off were not personal or negative, just life happening. That time is simply past and we were not meant to be. There is no reason to think we were meant to be now.

So, yes I know it's very possible, but it all depends on your attitudes toward each other. You have to retain the love without being IN love for it to work. flowerforyou

That's basically how things are with me and the guy from last fall. We didn't even date all that long (maybe six weeks) before it became evident we probably weren't headed for long-term romantic bliss. We're just a bit too different in some crucial areas to have been compatible for a long-haul relationship, but we do have a lot in common, and we genuinely like each other and enjoy each other's company. So upon that basis we chose to build a close and affectionate friendship instead of a romance.

I love him dearly as a friend and we still spend quite a bit of time together, just hanging out. We're both enough given to physical affection for a hug and a peck on the lips at the end of the evening, but that's the extent of it. I'm very glad we're still part of each other's lives, and I hope we remain so.

ViaMusica's photo
Wed 07/03/13 08:43 PM
Historically, in the more rural parts of Christendom where there might not necessarily be clergy always on hand to perform marriage ceremonies it used to be entirely acceptable and common for a peasant couple to marry not by first standing up in a church together but by presenting the marriage as a foregone fact -- by cohabitating and producing a child. That child served as proof that the marriage had been consummated, and the couple living together served as proof of their commitment to becoming one. Any religious blessing bestowed at that point functioned as a simple acknowledgement of the fact of their existing marriage.

Also, I doubt the Christian God would care all that much about the LEGAL ceremonials... at most it would be a matter of a religious ceremony, and in regard to that subject, refer to the above...

ViaMusica's photo
Wed 07/03/13 08:36 PM
We already had "G". Would you like to take "H"? :smile:

ViaMusica's photo
Wed 07/03/13 07:39 PM
Yes. I was in retail and restaurant work for years.

Have you ever eaten a Fluffernutter sandwich?

ViaMusica's photo
Wed 07/03/13 07:33 PM
Edited by ViaMusica on Wed 07/03/13 07:34 PM
Isn't it about time we got to K? laugh

Kaleidoscope

ViaMusica's photo
Wed 07/03/13 07:32 PM
Underdog

1 2 4 6 7 8 9 24 25