Community > Posts By > CowboyGH

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 06:07 PM

You have your god along with whatever other friends and family that you have accumulated. I have random forum threads and not much else. I was never that close to my family and pretty much no friends. I know, off-topic, just opening a window to me and why I may be so cynical and not believe in a god so easily as you.

Off topic as well and probably will be the end of this thread. But I too have no friends, and only family I have are mom and dad due too brother's choices of life that ended in prison or after prison along with the life that proceeds. None of which that has directed me toward my belief. I personally feel as I do because I have personally felt and experienced it. I've always been "raised" a Christian. But I've come too my own thoughts and my own conclusions from my own research and discover in the matter. I do give my condolences that this is the reason you've come too your conclusion. In the area of "friends/family" remember we all have free will. It's not God's will specifically, or God's choice on who/what stays in your life or accumulates in your life. That is their own choice, their decision. Not 100% of what happens in our life is accordance too God's desire. As people have free will... and if "free will" was foreknown, there would be no such thing as free will and judgement together. Regardless of the choice you make in the end my friend, I wish all happens greatly in your life and everything that happens for a reason, hope you see the reason in whatever you choose to be.

I'll add to this off-topic part of the discussion that I, too, have little family left, and even less friends. So, it's unanimous. Maybe it's because we are on a dating site, debating philosophy and religion! Just kidding.
FWIW-I respect, and like, both of you, and wish you both the best. I suppose we could be cyber-friends, at least.

That you David, would like to also accommodate you for your "generosity" through the discussions on here. Never take it personally offensive or state/post anything personally offensive toward another :). Just keep in the "discussion" level, and appreciate that VERY MUCH.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 06:04 PM

There are thousands, perhaps millions of people screaming for god to give them proof, to talk to them not in some dusty old book but in real life and he gives them nothing. Far as I'm concerned even if he does exist(and that's one hell of a stretch) He is so condescending and rude that I want nothing to do with him. I mean he must not be a very good spirit in the first place considering the only way he can get people to choose him is by giving them a 2 step multiple choice. Choose him or burn in the fires of hell for eternity. He's like Hitler but worse... I mean sure, maybe I'm wrong and he is a loving god, a VERY loving god, problem is all that love is going directly into a mirror..

There it is, right there. Well said, Lazarus.

If he exists, he is like a man driving a car while his children fight with each other in the back seat over something he instructed them to do. And, he continues driving along obliviously as his children's arguing turns violent and they kill each other. But, he says nothing the whole time.

Think of all the arguing and violence in the world that stems from arguments over who's version of Skydaddy is the correct one. Not just between differing religions, but between different sects of the same religion. (Catholics and Protestants, anyone?) Meanwhile, the one person in all the universe who could end it sits on his cloud and remains strangely silent.

Oh well. Perhaps he is preoccupied with something. Like whittling. Or playing Grand Theft Cherub on his GodBox. :P

That would kind of beat the purpose of this life and the level of "love". We believe in God because we've seen and felt his presence, his love. We "choose" to obey God, follow after him and love him in all his wondrous ways. If he made some grand appearance, people wouldn't believe/follow out of "wanting to" or "faith"... they would believe because they had to, they would have no other choice. And we've seen how that obviously works with mankind, even personally knowing God. We still turned away from God and his desires, still was disobedient even knowing him first hand person to person.

Ah, so the purpose of this life is to suffer for God. Endure all the pain and anguish, while still loving and obeying this cosmic-level deadbeat dad.
And you call that "love?" Once again, you describe an unloving god as well as I can.

No offense, but it is my thought that what you perceive of as God's presence is merely a case of your mind telling you what you want to hear. But, let's just say you're right. If you really have felt God's presence, then you at least have some reason for believing what you believe. But, what about all the people like me, who sincerely worshiped this god for decades, yet never felt anything? What about all the people out there who suffer, day after day, crying out to this god, who never feel anything...or hear anything...or receive any relief. What makes you, and some of the other people that I've debated this topic with who make similar claims of feeling God's presence or hearing him speak to them, so special? Why do you guys get "Damscus road" stuff, and the rest of us don't? In addition to the fact that there is an unstated conceit contained in these claims in many cases (i.e. "Well, I guess I'm just more holy than you are. That's why God helped me find my car keys, while at the same time letting your wife die of cancer." I'm not accusing you of that. You haven't acted that way thus far. But I have actually witnessed exchanges very similar to my example.), it is also quite unfair for an omnipresent god, who supposedly loves his children, to make his presence felt by some and not by others.

You say you "choose" to follow God, and that if he made a grand appearance, that would change; that we would have to. I'm sorry, but isn't that what most Christians believe is going to happen at some point anyway? If so...if that is the ultimate solution that God is going to employ at some point...why wait?! If it's the thing to do, then do it already! End the needless fighting and suffering.

That said, I wasn't thinking of that kind of action on his part anyway. Going back to my illustration of the man driving the car while his children fight in the back seat-We would expect this man to do something before his children kill each other, right? However, we would NOT expect him to pull over and kill the children who are incorrect about what he instructed them to do, while leaving alive the one(s) who are correct. No, what we would expect him to do is to open his damn mouth and tell the children who is correct, thus ending the argument by removing the reason for the argument. That's what I mean that God could do; open his mouth and state for the record who is right. Then, it would still be up to all of us to decide if we want to toe his line or not. But, at least we would all know for certain, without needing to have it explained to us by middlemen who all say something different, where his line is.

I reject your assertion anyway. For one thing, according to the Bible, Israel received Yahweh's commands straight from the horse's mouth, or at least from one of his angels, yet they still chose whether or not they wanted to obey him. So, just because he overcomes his shyness and speaks up, that doesn't mean that we no longer have a choice.

Of course, the argument can be made that none of us really has a choice anyway since, as Lazarus said, our choices are:

1.Serve God.
2. Don't serve God. Get obliterated. Or burn in Hell. (Depending on which middleman who are speaking to.)

Finally, consider this:The angels are heavenly beings, superior to we lowly humans in every way. Right?
Well, according to the Bible, vast numbers of them (Revelation seems to be saying that it was a third of them, as you no doubt know.) rebelled against God. This, despite the fact that they never had to suffer with infirmities, starvation, illness, or any number of things that go hand in hand with being human. Furthermore, they never had to suffer any of those things while at the same time having to wonder whether or not God even exists! They knew full well of his existence, having been in his presence. They also knew what he was like better than any of us ever can. They knew whether or not he always keeps his promises, for instance.
And, yet...many, many of them rebelled.

So, I maintain that it is unfair, and unloving, for God to demand that we lesser beings, who have so much less to go on than his angelic sons did, to credulously accept the muddled, boring, convoluted, and inconsistent writings of ancient primitives as HIS WORD; and follow whichever version of its story we may have been taught, by whichever middleman that taught it to us, unquestioningly.

That said, I wasn't thinking of that kind of action on his part anyway. Going back to my illustration of the man driving the car while his children fight in the back seat-We would expect this man to do something before his children kill each other, right? However, we would NOT expect him to pull over and kill the children who are incorrect about what he instructed them to do, while leaving alive the one(s) who are correct. No, what we would expect him to do is to open his damn mouth and tell the children who is correct, thus ending the argument by removing the reason for the argument. That's what I mean that God could do; open his mouth and state for the record who is right. Then, it would still be up to all of us to decide if we want to toe his line or not. But, at least we would all know for certain, without needing to have it explained to us by middlemen who all say something different, where his line is

But God has, he just did it "yesterday" and you don't believe in what we have gathered together through many many separate situations and times in what we now call the "Holy Bible".

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 04:22 PM

More semantics. Trying to muddy the water. I know from reading your posts that you possess the intelligence to grasp the point of my Ra illustration.

To truly be honest, don't know how to exceptionally take this post... nor do I know the "ra illustration" reference... if it was a previous reference in the thread, I apologize for my memory.

All right, then. I'll take your word for it. I will now explain.
In your previous post, you quoted part of one of my statements where I said:
"Again, if I was trying to sell you on worshiping Ra..." and you replied, "Who's "selling" anything? We're here for the discussions at hand. Not trying to convert you or make you believe my friend. Just expressing details/information(s) on the discussion at hand."

I suppose it's my fault for wording it that way, but that wasn't even the point. I know that you're not trying to convert me, any more than I'm trying to "unconvert" you. We are just having a discussion. I realize that.
Allow me to rephrase the Ra illustration, and hopefully the point will now be clear:

If we were debating the historical accuracy of the stories about Ra, and I was arguing in favor of accepting these stories as being factual based on flimsy evidence, spin, and special pleading like you have at times throughout our discussion thus far, you would call me on it. You would examine the evidence that I put forward with logic and common sense, because you wouldn't be biased in favor of the Ra stories. Quite the opposite, actually. And, this would be true regardless of which deity (Other than Jesus and Yahweh, of course.) we were discussing. I just picked Ra at random.

While I am not trying to talk you out of your belief, I would hope that at some point you would at least realize how weak the evidence you have offered throughout this debate really is. That's what I've been demonstrating.

While I am not trying to talk you out of your belief, I would hope that at some point you would at least realize how weak the evidence you have offered throughout this debate really is

You can elaborate on that if you wish. But "evidence" is only as valuable as one wishes for it to have or allows it to have. There is no 100% accurate for sure evidence for anything in this world, of course unless one allows it to "persuade" them it does have the sufficient evidence they need or are looking for.

Well, I already have been, throughout this debate. But, I will continue to do so, for as long as I have the time.
And, yes, I agree that there is no evidence that is 100% proof of anything. We established that already. That said, most of us have fairly equivalent standards for quantifying the relative strength or weakness of evidence, as long as we have no bias for or against said evidence.
Which, again, was my point with the Ra illustration.

For instance, if Lazarus showed up on this forum claiming he could fly, I think that it's safe to assume that you, the Christian, and I, the atheist, would both require some really strong evidence, like seeing him perform the feat in person with our own eyes, before we would accept his assertion as being factual.

However, if he also said that the Lord Jesus had appeared to him and empowered him to perform this feat in order to prove to him that his atheist philosophy was wrong, I daresay that, while you would still be highly skeptical of his claim, your skepticism would be slightly less than before, because of your personal belief that Jesus can do pretty much anything. So, your bias would affect how you would weigh his evidence, even if only slightly in this case.

For instance, if Lazarus showed up on this forum claiming he could fly, I think that it's safe to assume that you, the Christian, and I, the atheist, would both require some really strong evidence, like seeing him perform the feat in person with our own eyes, before we would accept his assertion as being factual.

You say that today, but would it have any merit as of tomorrow that it happened? Merit enough to even pursue the possible evidence of it happening?

Those questions miss the point, but I will nevertheless answer them with a question of my own: How much less merit, then, should extraordinary claims made two thousand years ago have?

Because of the direction of the discussion and according...

Siberian unicorn
Tomsk State University believe they've found fossil evidence of a Siberian unicorn prancing around just 29,000 years ago — more than 300,000 years after they were thought to have gone extinct.

So in fact "unicorns" actually scientifically "did" exist.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 01:38 PM

More semantics. Trying to muddy the water. I know from reading your posts that you possess the intelligence to grasp the point of my Ra illustration.

To truly be honest, don't know how to exceptionally take this post... nor do I know the "ra illustration" reference... if it was a previous reference in the thread, I apologize for my memory.

"Again, if I was trying to sell you on worshiping Ra..." and you replied, "Who's "selling" anything? We're here for the discussions at hand. Not trying to convert you or make you believe my friend. Just expressing details/information(s) on the discussion at hand."

I suppose it's my fault for wording it that way, but that wasn't even the point. I know that you're not trying to convert me, any more than I'm trying to "unconvert" you. We are just having a discussion. I realize that.
Allow me to rephrase the Ra illustration, and hopefully the point will now be clear:

If we were debating the historical accuracy of the stories about Ra, and I was arguing in favor of accepting these stories as being factual based on flimsy evidence, spin, and special pleading like you have at times throughout our discussion thus far, you would call me on it. You would examine the evidence that I put forward with logic and common sense, because you wouldn't be biased in favor of the Ra stories. Quite the opposite, actually. And, this would be true regardless of which deity (Other than Jesus and Yahweh, of course.) we were discussing. I just picked Ra at random.

While I am not trying to talk you out of your belief, I would hope that at some point you would at least realize how weak the evidence you have offered throughout this debate really is. That's what I've been demonstrating.

While I am not trying to talk you out of your belief, I would hope that at some point you would at least realize how weak the evidence you have offered throughout this debate really is

You can elaborate on that if you wish. But "evidence" is only as valuable as one wishes for it to have or allows it to have. There is no 100% accurate for sure evidence for anything in this world, of course unless one allows it to "persuade" them it does have the sufficient evidence they need or are looking for.

Well, I already have been, throughout this debate. But, I will continue to do so, for as long as I have the time.
And, yes, I agree that there is no evidence that is 100% proof of anything. We established that already. That said, most of us have fairly equivalent standards for quantifying the relative strength or weakness of evidence, as long as we have no bias for or against said evidence.

However, if he also said that the Lord Jesus had appeared to him and empowered him to perform this feat in order to prove to him that his atheist philosophy was wrong, I daresay that, while you would still be highly skeptical of his claim, your skepticism would be slightly less than before, because of your personal belief that Jesus can do pretty much anything. So, your bias would affect how you would weigh his evidence, even if only slightly in this case.

You say that today, but would it have any merit as of tomorrow that it happened? Merit enough to even pursue the possible evidence of it happening?

Those questions miss the point, but I will nevertheless answer them with a question of my own: How much less merit, then, should extraordinary claims made two thousand years ago have?

depends on the "merit" you give them, or the "faith" you give them.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 08:46 AM

There are thousands, perhaps millions of people screaming for god to give them proof, to talk to them not in some dusty old book but in real life and he gives them nothing. Far as I'm concerned even if he does exist(and that's one hell of a stretch) He is so condescending and rude that I want nothing to do with him. I mean he must not be a very good spirit in the first place considering the only way he can get people to choose him is by giving them a 2 step multiple choice. Choose him or burn in the fires of hell for eternity. He's like Hitler but worse... I mean sure, maybe I'm wrong and he is a loving god, a VERY loving god, problem is all that love is going directly into a mirror..

If he exists, he is like a man driving a car while his children fight with each other in the back seat over something he instructed them to do. And, he continues driving along obliviously as his children's arguing turns violent and they kill each other. But, he says nothing the whole time.

Think of all the arguing and violence in the world that stems from arguments over who's version of Skydaddy is the correct one. Not just between differing religions, but between different sects of the same religion. (Catholics and Protestants, anyone?) Meanwhile, the one person in all the universe who could end it sits on his cloud and remains strangely silent.

Oh well. Perhaps he is preoccupied with something. Like whittling. Or playing Grand Theft Cherub on his GodBox. :P

That would kind of beat the purpose of this life and the level of "love". We believe in God because we've seen and felt his presence, his love. We "choose" to obey God, follow after him and love him in all his wondrous ways. If he made some grand appearance, people wouldn't believe/follow out of "wanting to" or "faith"... they would believe because they had to, they would have no other choice. And we've seen how that obviously works with mankind, even personally knowing God. We still turned away from God and his desires, still was disobedient even knowing him first hand person to person.

So.... Him actually existing instead of just being a figment of people's overactive imaginations would somehow defeat the purpose? A god of convenience then, he only exists if you believe he does? Kinda like I'm only invisible if you don't look at me and believe I am? Lol... Funny to add to all of that, people invented a religion in recent years in which they worship a flying spaghetti monster (no lies, google it). So should we believe that wholeheartedly in another 2000 years because any evidence of it's falsehood may have been lost to time by then?

Also, given a scenario(the one in your head) in which god does exist,
he whips you like his own personal slave and you oblige?
I'd quote the phrase, it's better to die free then to live as a slave but like I said he doesn't give you much choice, follow me or burn in the fires of hell for eternity. Anyone that defied that either didn't know what they were getting into or were just being dramatic and likely regretted it later.

Also not really fair is it, if we don't believe in god and follow his ways despite him giving us NOTHING solid from which to believe in, he sends us off to burn in the fires of hell for eternity. Like "Guess what?!?! I'm real!! LOVE YOU!! Buh bye!". Dick...

A god of convenience then, he only exists if you believe he does?

No, he exists for every, only some give him the credit of that which is spoken bout.

So should we believe that wholeheartedly in another 2000 years because any evidence of it's falsehood may have been lost to time by then?

That would totally be your choice, again not here to change your perspective.

What are you talking about? None of which you state goes with anything of the Christian belief or my specific believe. There is but one judgement.

giving us NOTHING solid

Nothing is "flimsy" bout it either, even through the thread of "evidence of God". Nothing can "prove" God wrong so how can it not be "solid" proof?

You can't disprove the non-existence of something, that's an impossibility by definition since nothing 'exists' until we discover it. But does that mean we should believe every wild-eyed story that's told to us? God exists in the same category as pixies, fairy godmothers, magic and many other fairy tales that exist only in the minds of people. You can't argue his existence based on lacking evidence of non-existence, otherwise you break the very rules that we build our reality upon.

"That would totally be your choice, again not here to change your perspective."
You've just put your god in the same basket as the flying spaghetti monster, lol. So you'd just believe anything you're told so long as the story is old enough not to be immediately disproved.

If someone hadn't filled your head with wild stories as a kid, you would have dismissed feeling 'his presence' as something logically explainable like emotions or a change in the weather.

What do other people have to do with this discussion? Did I state that I was raised Christian or had any affiliation of Christianity growing up? Not claiming to either as that's irrelevant too the discussion, as was your post about such.

Again as I stated, I am the OP so if I go out of bounds a little on my own discussion, I won't be offended, trust me.

You also failed to address any other part of the post. I did make an assumption that you were a raised christian since the people that stick that hard to their religion and ignore any form of logic are often the ones brainwashed from a young age, so it's at their core and a bit harder to look away from. The other types usually being the ones that cling to religion because it "saved" them from a worse lifestyle such as alcohol or drug abuse. Then there's those that cling to it because they cannot find love in their life or purpose and therefore they turn to one that was invented by man 2000 years ago.

Apologies if I'm focusing this discussion too much on you but the participants on this convo have grown slim so I'm simply using you as an example for all those that believe without proof, it's not personal.

You have your god along with whatever other friends and family that you have accumulated. I have random forum threads and not much else. I was never that close to my family and pretty much no friends. I know, off-topic, just opening a window to me and why I may be so cynical and not believe in a god so easily as you.

Off topic as well and probably will be the end of this thread. But I too have no friends, and only family I have are mom and dad due too brother's choices of life that ended in prison or after prison along with the life that proceeds. None of which that has directed me toward my belief. I personally feel as I do because I have personally felt and experienced it. I've always been "raised" a Christian. But I've come too my own thoughts and my own conclusions from my own research and discover in the matter. I do give my condolences that this is the reason you've come too your conclusion. In the area of "friends/family" remember we all have free will. It's not God's will specifically, or God's choice on who/what stays in your life or accumulates in your life. That is their own choice, their decision. Not 100% of what happens in our life is accordance too God's desire. As people have free will... and if "free will" was foreknown, there would be no such thing as free will and judgement together. Regardless of the choice you make in the end my friend, I wish all happens greatly in your life and everything that happens for a reason, hope you see the reason in whatever you choose to be.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 08:05 AM

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 08:01 AM

So.... Him actually existing instead of just being a figment of people's overactive imaginations would somehow defeat the purpose? A god of convenience then, he only exists if you believe he does? Kinda like I'm only invisible if you don't look at me and believe I am? Lol... Funny to add to all of that, people invented a religion in recent years in which they worship a flying spaghetti monster (no lies, google it). So should we believe that wholeheartedly in another 2000 years because any evidence of it's falsehood may have been lost to time by then?

I'd quote the phrase, it's better to die free then to live as a slave but like I said he doesn't give you much choice, follow me or burn in the fires of hell for eternity. Anyone that defied that either didn't know what they were getting into or were just being dramatic and likely regretted it later.

Also not really fair is it, if we don't believe in god and follow his ways despite him giving us NOTHING solid from which to believe in, he sends us off to burn in the fires of hell for eternity. Like "Guess what?!?! I'm real!! LOVE YOU!! Buh bye!". Dick...

No, he exists for every, only some give him the credit of that which is spoken bout.

So should we believe that wholeheartedly in another 2000 years because any evidence of it's falsehood may have been lost to time by then?

What are you talking about? None of which you state goes with anything of the Christian belief or my specific believe. There is but one judgement.

giving us NOTHING solid

Nothing is "flimsy" bout it either, even through the thread of "evidence of God". Nothing can "prove" God wrong so how can it not be "solid" proof?

You can't disprove the non-existence of something, that's an impossibility by definition since nothing 'exists' until we discover it. But does that mean we should believe every wild-eyed story that's told to us? God exists in the same category as pixies, fairy godmothers, magic and many other fairy tales that exist only in the minds of people. You can't argue his existence based on lacking evidence of non-existence, otherwise you break the very rules that we build our reality upon.

"That would totally be your choice, again not here to change your perspective."
You've just put your god in the same basket as the flying spaghetti monster, lol. So you'd just believe anything you're told so long as the story is old enough not to be immediately disproved.

If someone hadn't filled your head with wild stories as a kid, you would have dismissed feeling 'his presence' as something logically explainable like emotions or a change in the weather.

What do other people have to do with this discussion? Did I state that I was raised Christian or had any affiliation of Christianity growing up? Not claiming to either as that's irrelevant too the discussion, as was your post about such.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 07:13 AM

giving us NOTHING solid

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 11/04/16 04:52 AM

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 01:44 PM

Who says God caused the man to be blind?

Jesus, possibly. The Greek sentence structure allows for that reading. I realize that it's difficult for you to consider that, as it doesn't put God in a very good light, but don't blame me; I didn't write the passage. Let alone write it in an ambiguous way that could be interpreted in this fashion.

What if it was due to some abnormalities in the parents genes that gave birth to him that in turn caused him to blind in the first place?

I agree. Please note that I also said "or, at least, allow."

And why isn't it specifically "loving" for God to have allowed it to happen? That is one of the downfalls of us not being in the paradise any longer, sicknesses, abnormalities, and so forth.

The fact that you can ask this question demonstrates what I said earlier about how religion skews ones perception. How can an All-Powerful, All-Loving entity do nothing to end the suffering of sick and diseased people?
And, how can you defend said entity?

This specific person did see shortly after, but that wasn't the case obviously for all who have been born blind. But one day they will see.

We'll see. (No pun intended.) But, why wait? He could cure blindness with but a thought, right? It's not loving to withhold relief from his children, that he supposedly loves, when it would be so easy for him to provide it.

This life is but temporary and a very short time span in comparison to eternity.

That's assuming, of course, we actually have the opportunity to see eternity. That's another extraordinary claim. Have you any extraordinary evidence to support it?

He got to experience life not distracted by appearances.

OMG! Did you really just type that?! That's almost as bad as claiming that David's son was better off dying as an infant.

The fact that you can ask this question demonstrates what I said earlier about how religion skews ones perception. How can an All-Powerful, All-Loving entity do nothing to end the suffering of sick and diseased people?
And, how can you defend said entity?

Nothing skewed, just have come too the acknowledgement this life isn't forever and but a blink of an eye. And have faith in my God to do as he said he will. I don't have to defend anything, God does that on his own. I myself am a disabled man from the age of 18. I don't blame God for placing this burden on me. I take it as a blessing, a blessing to use to hopefully better help someone else in the long run.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 01:40 PM

People are flawed, even the bible says it. We lie, we make stuff up. All that "proof" is words in a book made by man. Why believe in god and not in unicorns, dragons and other such fairy tales? I think that you believe in him not because the stories make sense or even because you see them as logically plausible but because it is a story of an all powerful being that loves you and it gives your life a false sense of purpose and you fear that without that, you would have nothing. Are you able to reflect upon that and still tell me that there's no way I'm right?

Well, Lazarus, it just so happens that the Bible does refer to unicorns and dragons!

Job 39:9-12

"9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? 10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?11 Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?12 Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?"

Psalm 29:6

"6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn."

Isaiah 34:7

"7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."

Isaiah 27:1

"27 In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea."

And, there are actually more verses that mention dragons, but I didn't feel like listing them all.

Oh, here's a bonus mythological creature mentioned in the Bible for you:

Isaiah 13:21

"21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there."

Cowboy will probably now tell me that this was just symbolic language, or a translation issue and that the unicorns mentioned weren't really unicorns, but possibly rhinos, or wild oxen, as many apologists do. But I couldn't resist mentioning these passages when I saw your post. Oh, and I should mention that, regardless of how some apologists want to explain away these passages, there are some fundamentalists who defend some of these passages as actually being legit, as translated.

Sorry for disappointing you with not specifically saying it's symbolic language.

On Thursday, the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the North Korea’s government mouthpiece, said scientists “reconfirmed” the location of the burial site of the unicorn ridden by King Dongmyeong, the founding father of the ancient Korean kingdom of Goguryeo (37 BC-668 AD).

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/30/unicorns-existence-proven-says-north-korea/

And that's not the only reference "source" for this found unicorn.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 01:11 PM

Lol.. Ya we don't have definitive answers on the creation of the planet but the ones we do have make more logical sense than some sentient all powerful being snapped his fingers and -bam- earth! I get that I'm simplifying over how it explains in the bible but seven days for a single being to make a planet and everything on it is pretty much '-bam-'. But at least science tries to explain things via logical means. It doesn't just look at a 2000 year old book that doesn't even have a shred of solid proof/evidence that man didn't just make the whole thing up. Yes it has some truths in it but the greatest lies invented were born of truth.

If god wanted our faith and wanted us to believe, in this, the information age, he would give us something solid, something in the here and now. Not just expect us to believe the ancient writings of people from an age with little to nothing for entertainment.

How does age make it less viable? Does age make it less truth? If so, how and why? And maybe he has given us something solid, just since "science" has ruled out "God", the things in question that happened were just placed in the "freak of nature", placed in some "theory" or some category of such.

People are flawed, even the bible says it. We lie, we make stuff up. All that "proof" is words in a book made by man. Why believe in god and not in unicorns, dragons and other such fairy tales? I think that you believe in him not because the stories make sense or even because you see them as logically plausible but because it is a story of an all powerful being that loves you and it gives your life a false sense of purpose and you fear that without that, you would have nothing. Are you able to reflect upon that and still tell me that there's no way I'm right?

Sorry to inform you, but that would be incorrect. I believe in God because I have felt his presence first hand.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 05:38 AM

Lol.. Ya we don't have definitive answers on the creation of the planet but the ones we do have make more logical sense than some sentient all powerful being snapped his fingers and -bam- earth! I get that I'm simplifying over how it explains in the bible but seven days for a single being to make a planet and everything on it is pretty much '-bam-'. But at least science tries to explain things via logical means. It doesn't just look at a 2000 year old book that doesn't even have a shred of solid proof/evidence that man didn't just make the whole thing up. Yes it has some truths in it but the greatest lies invented were born of truth.

If god wanted our faith and wanted us to believe, in this, the information age, he would give us something solid, something in the here and now. Not just expect us to believe the ancient writings of people from an age with little to nothing for entertainment.

How does age make it less viable? Does age make it less truth? If so, how and why? And maybe he has given us something solid, just since "science" has ruled out "God", the things in question that happened were just placed in the "freak of nature", placed in some "theory" or some category of such.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 04:19 AM

I quoted Romans 3:23 merely to demonstrate that, according to "God's Word," everyone sins. And, presumably, everyone always had. Including the aforementioned beautiful priests.
But, if you want OT verses that also say that everyone sins, here you go:

1 Kings 8:46

"46 If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near;"

Ecclesiastes 7:20

"20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."

So, again, taking the story at face-value, even the Yahweh-approved studly priests were sinners. Therefore, it was unloving of God to discriminate against the disabled sinners.

He didn't plainly discriminate against the disabled sinners. That is why I said to keep the verses in context. The referenced disabled people in question, were specifically disabled due to sin.

Leviticus 21
1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

2 But for his kin, that is near unto him, that is, for his mother, and for his father, and for his son, and for his daughter, and for his brother.

3 And for his sister a virgin, that is nigh unto him, which hath had no husband; for her may he be defiled.

4 But he shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.

He wasn't saying in general that "disabled" people or people of abnormalities were "defiled". Just these specific people in this specific reference for the specific reasoning on what this book is talking about at that moment. Not like it was a law at that time in that covenant.

I am keeping the verses in context. The verses you just quoted, which open the chapter in question, warn against specific acts that would bring defilement, or uncleanness, upon the priests, such as touching a dead body. (As mentioned in verse 1.)The disabled people in question were already disabled, so these warnings to avoid doing anything that would cause defilement didn't apply to their already present disabilities.

These verses also do not state that the disabled people who were here prohibited from priestly duties were defiled, and that that was why they were prohibited. It was all about appearances.

For example, allow me to quote from the Jamieson-Faust-Brown Commentary:

"As visible things exert a strong influence on the minds of men, any physical infirmity or malformation of body in the ministers of religion, which disturbs the associations or excites ridicule, tends to detract from the weight and authority of the sacred office. Priests laboring under any personal defect were not allowed to officiate in the public service; they might be employed in some inferior duties about the sanctuary but could not perform any sacred office."

Found an interesting "explanatory" of these verses.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

Among his people — None of the priests shall touch the dead body, or assist at his funeral, or eat of the funeral feast. The reason of this law is evident, because by such pollution they were excluded from converse with men, to whom by their function they were to be serviceable upon all occasions, and from the handling of holy things. And God would hereby teach them, and in them all successive ministers, that they ought entirely to give themselves to the service of God. Yea, to renounce all expressions of natural affection, and all worldly employments, so far as they are impediments to the discharge of their holy services.
----

But for his kin, that is near unto him, that is, for his mother, and for his father, and for his son, and for his daughter, and for his brother,

Near to him — Under which general expression his wife seems to be comprehended, though she be not expressed. And hence it is noted as a peculiar case, that Ezekiel, who was a priest, was forbidden to mourn for his wife, Ezekiel 24:16, etc. These exceptions God makes in condescension to human infirmity, because in such cases it was very hard to restrain the affections. But this allowance concerns only the inferior priest, not the high-priest
-----

And for his sister a virgin, that is nigh unto him, which hath had no husband; for her may he be defiled.

That is nigh him — That is, by nearness not of relation, (for that might seem a needless addition) but of habitation, one not yet cut off from the family. For if she was married, she was now of another family, and under her husband's care in those matters.
------

But he shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.

Being — Or, seeing he is a chief man, for such not only the high-priest, but others also of the inferior priests were. He shall not defile himself for any other person whatsoever.

To profane himself — Because such defilement for the dead did profane him, or make him as a common person, and consequently unfit to manage his sacred employment.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 03:33 AM

John 9:1-3

"1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."

Thanks Yahweh! You're a real pal.You couldn't think of some other way to demonstrate your greatness?

He demonstrated his greatness a few verses down if you kept reading.

John 9
5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,

7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.

Yes, I knew that. But, in keeping with the theme of the thread, I don't think it was all that loving for God to cause, or at least allow, a man to suffer with blindness from birth, just so he could send Jesus down here and cure the guy for his own exaltation.

Who says God caused the man to be blind? What if it was due to some abnormalities in the parents genes that gave birth to him that in turn caused him to blind in the first place? And why isn't it specifically "loving" for God to have allowed it to happen? That is one of the downfalls of us not being in the paradise any longer, sicknesses, abnormalities, and so forth. This specific person did see shortly after, but that wasn't the case obviously for all who have been born blind. But one day they will see. This life is but temporary and a very short time span in comparison to eternity. He got to experience life not distracted by appearances.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 03:15 AM

Hmm, I wonder if your religion will ever revamp the bible with modern day English? At least modern day grammar. I have a decent vocab and above average grammar and the bulk of the bible quotes I see look like pure gibberish. I mean apart from lacking meaning in the first place because they come from an age old children's storybook the grammar is terrible and many of the words used have not been spoken in common tongue for as long as I've been around and I'm 36.

Well, Lazarus...that's a very deep subject that you've broached there! There are so many different Bible translations. And, each one has its adherents, claiming that it is the TRUE word of God, or the one that is most faithful to the oldest extant manuscripts, while decrying the others as the work of Satan.

It's not surprising, though, if you look at the transliterated passages in an interlinear Bible, one thing that immediately becomes apparent is that translating this book into English is as much an art as a science, due to the vast differences between Hebrew and English, and Greek and English.

All of which underscores something I've said many times before: An All-Knowing, All-Wise God, who ostensibly created us, our brains, our system of communication, including all the different languages, would have known that the written word was not the best medium to employ in transmitting his all-important instruction manual to us. Too many opportunities for misunderstandings.

And, in keeping with the theme of this thread, it wasn't very loving of God to demand that we follow the rules found in his all-important instruction manual, when he presented said manual in a way in which it was ripe for misunderstanding and misinterpretation.

Ya and even the English version is so ancient that it sounds partially foreign to modern day English speakers. It may have even been the same for the original languages at this point. So not only are they having to translate from other languages into English but from a version of those languages that's 2000 years old.

On a side note, I love how CowboyGH stopped responding to my posts altogether. Religious people tend to do that when you back them into a corner, they will get into a hyper-defensive state and revert to an 'I'm right and you're wrong' mentality. He's only continuing the arguement with you because you're playing into his realm of expertise with the bible quotes, he could go back and forth with you all day with that stuff.

On a side note, I love how CowboyGH stopped responding to my posts altogether. Religious people tend to do that when you back them into a corner, they will get into a hyper-defensive state and revert to an 'I'm right and you're wrong' mentality. He's only continuing the arguement with you because you're playing into his realm of expertise with the bible quotes, he could go back and forth with you all day with that stuff.

lol? I stopped responding to your posts because they are not the topic of the discussion at hand nor the thread in itself. I've included a few of your recent posts in this post as display of my meaning. Not one of them is in reference to if God is a loving God or not.

Hmm, I wonder if your religion will ever revamp the bible with modern day English? At least modern day grammar. I have a decent vocab and above average grammar and the bulk of the bible quotes I see look like pure gibberish. I mean apart from lacking meaning in the first place because they come from an age old children's storybook the grammar is terrible and many of the words used have not been spoken in common tongue for as long as I've been around and I'm 36.

And congrats for cleaning the crap out of your eyes and joining us in the real world, lol... But I'm still not sure why people are using quotes from the bible to argue against religion/god. I mean the only thing I have to say at this point is, the bible is BS and there is no other piece of 'evidence' that can be logically and conclusively linked to the existence of a higher being. God is just another word for things that we have yet to explain.

Just a few hundred years ago people still thought the earth was flat, we are still an ignorant race of people. We only deem ourselves as intellectuals because we're the smartest that we know of in existence. Humans have been around in our current form for approx. 200,000 years and only 6000 years ago civilization as we know it began so 97% of the existence of our race has been wasted.

We finally get smart and start using nuclear bombs to wipe each other out, this is what we choose to do with our intellect. There's no way an all powerful being made us unless it was to laugh at how incredibly stupid we are. Given a few hundred more years we might start to resemble something that could be loosely compared to intelligent but that's only if we don't kill each other off first or blow through our natural resources (due to our exponential reproduction) before we can advance enough to venture into deep space.

Which again none are in reference to if God is a loving God or not, just merely on the existence of God, which is not what this thread is about.

To be fair I am the OP so if I de-rail a bit, that doesn't exactly defeat the purpose of the thread. I never started the thread with a belief that there actually was a god. The point overall is that how can people believe that there actually is a god never-mind that he's a loving one. I mean there's no proof of existence and even less proof of his alleged love and if he doesn't exist he cannot love so there is that to think about as well.
Also this thread is over 3 years old, frankly I'm surprised we're in the same realm of conversation as the OP at this point.

Lol good point about it being 3 years old, it's remarkable the discussion still even resembles the original topic lol.

There is much proof of God and much proof of his love. Science doesn't inform on the creation of the world, yeah couple different theories here and there. But science more revolves around how the planet operates. And that's just studying how God set it up.

There is much proof of his existence. Just people that refuse to believe it due to age, puts in the hearsay level.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 02:56 AM

First off, why the need for an "old" covenant, and a "new" covenant. I reject the whole idea. Why? Because, once again, I (The atheist.) give All-Knowing, All-Wise God credit for being just that. In other words, I trust that he would have had the wisdom and foresight (Especially since he can see into the future and all.) to come up with the right solution, i.e. the "new" covenant, in the first place, rather than piddle-assing around for thousands of years with a defective system.

That is why the first covenant prophesied it's ending and the coming a'new. It wasn't a "change", it was a furthering progress. Why he chose specifically too do two different covenants as he did I personally don't know as I'm not God, you would have to ask him when you get the chance.

So, the first covenant "prophesied it's ending" and the coming of a new? Apparently it realized that it was a barbaric and primitive covenant unworthy of an All-Wise God.

I can't see how you can say that it wasn't a change, though, for it obviously was. A big change. Heck,the very fact that the New Covenant is called the NEW Covenant makes it pretty clear that it is distinct from the old one. For instance, look at how Jeremiah refers to it:

Jeremiah 31:31-34

"31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

Yahweh specifically mentions one change right there; that his laws would now be inscribed in hearts, instead of on stone.

Then there was the big issue over a little tissue; circumcision.

Of course, right after you said that it wasn't a change, you said that God used two different covenants, which sure sounds to me like there was a change.

By the way, I understand that you can't really know why Yahweh would choose to employ a defective system for over a thousand years, then initiate its new and improved replacement, instead of initiating the better system right off the bat. I just ask the question to inspire thought. The point is that an All-Knowing and All-Wise God shouldn't do that. I give him more credit than that.

Second, you claim that anyone with a deformity is that way because of sin, and that that was why they were rejected for the priestly duties in question.

I claimed no such thing.

It sure looks to me like you did:

Remember, people in the Old Covenant were judged on Earth for their sins. Thus Jesus referencing a multitude of different deformities or irregularities in a person eg., brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire. These types of people in reference are that way because of their sins, thus they are "defiled". And read even further, these "rules" were not "standard". They were specific to a specific group for a specific reason.

This specific bit of information from the scriptures that was referenced spoke of such, but never insinuated that was the case for ALL "deformities" to this day.

Okay. I agree that it wasn't stated that this applied to all deformities for all time. And, I will take this opportunity to modify something I said earlier. I said that Jesus stated that deformities were the result of sin. In truth, he didn't state it outright in the instance I had in mind; he implied it.

However, in another instance, his disciples directly stated it, and he corrected them. Ironically enough, his statement in that instance provides yet another example of God not being a loving god!

"1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."

Thanks Yahweh! You're a real pal.You couldn't think of some other way to demonstrate your greatness?

Again is why I even specifically referenced in the old covenant people were judged for this sins on Earth and it even carried into multiple generations at times depending on the situation and God's judgement at that time.

Okay. Well, it is God's judgement that I am criticizing.

According to that, even the priests who were Tom Selleck look-a-likes were sinners, too. Yet, they were Yahweh-approved. Well, I guess someone had to carry out the services, and Yahweh wanted only beautiful people doing it.

Jumping back and forth between old testament "covenant" and new testament "covenant" won't bring any clear information, as again they are two entirely different covenant "sets of laws" and punishment was different in the old covenant as it is now.

I quoted Romans 3:23 merely to demonstrate that, according to "God's Word," everyone sins. And, presumably, everyone always had. Including the aforementioned beautiful priests.

"46 If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near;"

So, again, taking the story at face-value, even the Yahweh-approved studly priests were sinners. Therefore, it was unloving of God to discriminate against the disabled sinners.

He demonstrated his greatness a few verses down if you kept reading.

John 9
5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,

7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 02:52 AM

He didn't plainly discriminate against the disabled sinners. That is why I said to keep the verses in context. The referenced disabled people in question, were specifically disabled due to sin.

Leviticus 21
1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

2 But for his kin, that is near unto him, that is, for his mother, and for his father, and for his son, and for his daughter, and for his brother.

3 And for his sister a virgin, that is nigh unto him, which hath had no husband; for her may he be defiled.

4 But he shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.

He wasn't saying in general that "disabled" people or people of abnormalities were "defiled". Just these specific people in this specific reference for the specific reasoning on what this book is talking about at that moment. Not like it was a law at that time in that covenant.

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 02:42 AM

CowboyGH's photo
Thu 11/03/16 02:36 AM

Well, Lazarus...that's a very deep subject that you've broached there! There are so many different Bible translations. And, each one has its adherents, claiming that it is the TRUE word of God, or the one that is most faithful to the oldest extant manuscripts, while decrying the others as the work of Satan.

It's not surprising, though, if you look at the transliterated passages in an interlinear Bible, one thing that immediately becomes apparent is that translating this book into English is as much an art as a science, due to the vast differences between Hebrew and English, and Greek and English.

All of which underscores something I've said many times before: An All-Knowing, All-Wise God, who ostensibly created us, our brains, our system of communication, including all the different languages, would have known that the written word was not the best medium to employ in transmitting his all-important instruction manual to us. Too many opportunities for misunderstandings.

And, in keeping with the theme of this thread, it wasn't very loving of God to demand that we follow the rules found in his all-important instruction manual, when he presented said manual in a way in which it was ripe for misunderstanding and misinterpretation.

Ya and even the English version is so ancient that it sounds partially foreign to modern day English speakers. It may have even been the same for the original languages at this point. So not only are they having to translate from other languages into English but from a version of those languages that's 2000 years old.

lol? I stopped responding to your posts because they are not the topic of the discussion at hand nor the thread in itself. I've included a few of your recent posts in this post as display of my meaning. Not one of them is in reference to if God is a loving God or not.

And congrats for cleaning the crap out of your eyes and joining us in the real world, lol... But I'm still not sure why people are using quotes from the bible to argue against religion/god. I mean the only thing I have to say at this point is, the bible is BS and there is no other piece of 'evidence' that can be logically and conclusively linked to the existence of a higher being. God is just another word for things that we have yet to explain.

Just a few hundred years ago people still thought the earth was flat, we are still an ignorant race of people. We only deem ourselves as intellectuals because we're the smartest that we know of in existence. Humans have been around in our current form for approx. 200,000 years and only 6000 years ago civilization as we know it began so 97% of the existence of our race has been wasted.

We finally get smart and start using nuclear bombs to wipe each other out, this is what we choose to do with our intellect. There's no way an all powerful being made us unless it was to laugh at how incredibly stupid we are. Given a few hundred more years we might start to resemble something that could be loosely compared to intelligent but that's only if we don't kill each other off first or blow through our natural resources (due to our exponential reproduction) before we can advance enough to venture into deep space.

Which again none are in reference to if God is a loving God or not, just merely on the existence of God, which is not what this thread is about.

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25