Community > Posts By > CowboyGH

CowboyGH's photo
Tue 10/25/16 08:44 AM

I agree with you, moe.
But, he's saying that there is EXTRA-biblical proof that Jesus was resurrected. That I'd like to see.

there's not much proof he was ever a real person... seems the kingly records of the time would mention something about it...

* Evidence from Tacitus

* Evidence from Pliny the Younger

* Evidence from Josephus
- About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he . . . wrought surprising feats. . . . He was the Christ. When Pilate . . .condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared . . . restored to life. . . . And the tribe of Christians . . . has . . . not disappeared

* Evidence from the Babylonian Talmud

* Evidence from Lucian

But as this sub discussion in this thread isn't specifically what the topic is about I did not include what evidences of Jesus' existence in all these references. Can further inform if requested.

evidence is one thing, proof is another...

The difference is perspective and that's but an opinion on how one wishes too look at something. Outside of that, they are the same thing.

CowboyGH's photo
Tue 10/25/16 08:02 AM

I agree with you, moe.
But, he's saying that there is EXTRA-biblical proof that Jesus was resurrected. That I'd like to see.

there's not much proof he was ever a real person... seems the kingly records of the time would mention something about it...

* Evidence from Tacitus

* Evidence from Josephus
- About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he . . . wrought surprising feats. . . . He was the Christ. When Pilate . . .condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared . . . restored to life. . . . And the tribe of Christians . . . has . . . not disappeared

* Evidence from Lucian

But as this sub discussion in this thread isn't specifically what the topic is about I did not include what evidences of Jesus' existence in all these references. Can further inform if requested.

You are correct about this discussion being off-topic. My bad.
As I don't want to derail the thread, all I will say is that the quotes that you mention do not constitute proof that Jesus was resurrected, for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that, with the exception of the Testimonium Flavianum (Which is likely an interpolation, anyway.), none of them that I've seen actually mention a resurrection; just the execution!

As to the point of the thread...
Taking the Bible at face-value, here's something to think about:
Yahweh came down off his cloud and warned Cain that he needed to rein in his anger and jealously before it caused him to sin, but didn't bother to take a few more minutes to go find righteous Abel and tell him, "Hey, Abel, your brother is really pissed at you, so watch your back when he's around. And whatever you do, DON'T go over into the field with him!"

With friends like God...well, you know the rest.:wink:

all I will say is that the quotes that you mention do not constitute proof that Jesus was resurrected,

condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared . . . restored to life

?? Proof is only as valuable as one person wishes for it to have. A gun with finger prints of the person on it doesn't "prove" he shot the other person, but is accepted as proof. Yes the example is off topic from the thread entirely, but was mentioned to make a point that is boils down to perspective. So what does the statement "restored to life" infer if not a resurrection?

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 10/24/16 07:32 PM

I agree with you, moe.

* Evidence from Tacitus

* Evidence from Josephus

* Evidence from Lucian

Babylonian was about 1000 years before JC...

From the Babylonian Talmud

On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald . . . cried, “He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy.”

This reference was compiled together around A.D. 70-200.

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 10/24/16 07:24 PM
How "Yeshua" Became "Jesus"

The first letter in the name Yeshua ("Jesus") is the yod. Yod represents the "Y" sound in Hebrew. Many names in the Bible that begin with yod are mispronounced by English speakers because the yod in these names was transliterated in English Bibles with the letter "J" rather than "Y". This came about because in early English the letter "J" was pronounced the way we pronounce "Y" today. All proper names in the Old Testament were transliterated into English according to their Hebrew pronunciation, but when English pronunciation shifted to what we know today, these transliterations were not altered. Thus, such Hebrew place names as ye-ru-sha-LA-yim, ye-ri-HO, and yar-DEN have become known to us as Jerusalem, Jericho, and Jordan; and Hebrew personal names such as yo-NA, yi-SHAI, and ye-SHU-a have become known to us as Jonah, Jesse, and Jesus.

The yod is the smallest letter of the alphabet, which is why Yeshua used it in His famous saying in Matt 5:18: "Until heaven and earth pass away not one yod ("iota" in the Greek text) or one kots will pass from the Torah." For emphasis, Yeshua incorporated in this saying a well-known Hebrew expression: lo' yod ve-LO' ko-TSO shel yod, "not a yod and not a 'thorn' of a yod," i.e., not the most insignificant and unimportant thing. When Yeshua declared that heaven and earth might sooner disappear than the smallest letter of the Hebrew alphabet, or the smallest stroke of a letter, He was simply saying that the Torah ("Law" or "Teaching") of Moses would never cease to be.

The second sound in Yeshua's name is called tse-RE, and is pronounced almost like the letter "e" in the word "net". Just as the "Y" sound of the first letter is mispronounced in today's English, so too the first vowel sound in "Jesus". Before the Hebrew name "Yeshua" was transliterated into English, it was first transliterated into Greek. There was no difficulty in transliterating the tse-RE sound since the ancient Greek language had an equivalent letter which represented this sound. And there was no real difficulty in transcribing this same first vowel into English. The translators of the earliest versions of the English Bible transliterated the tse-RE in Yeshua with an "e". Unfortunately, later English speakers guessed wrongly that this "e" should be pronounced as in "me," and thus the first syllable of the English version of Yeshua came to be pronounced "Jee" instead of "Yeh". It is this pronunciation which produced such euphemistic profanities as "Gee" and "Geez".

Since Yeshua is spelled "Jeshua" and not "Jesus" in most English versions of the Old Testament (for example in Ezra 2:2 and 2 Chronicles 31:15), one easily gets the impression that the name is never mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures. Yet 'Yeshua' appears there twenty-nine times, and is the name of at least five different persons and one village in the southern part of Yehudah ("Judah").

In contrast to the early biblical period, there were relatively few different names in use among the Jewish population of the Land of Israel at the time of the Second Temple. The name Yeshua was one of the most common male names in that period, tied with Eleazer for fifth place behind Simon, Joseph, Judah, and John. Nearly one out of ten persons known from the period was named Yeshua.

The first sound of the second syllable of Yeshua is the "sh" sound. It is represented by the Hebrew letter shin. However Greek, like many other languages, has no "sh" sound. Instead, the closest approximation, the Greek sigma, was used when transcribing "Yeshua" as "Iesus". Translators of English versions of the New Testament transliterated the Greek transcription of a Hebrew name, instead of returning to the original Hebrew. This was doubly unfortunate, first because the "sh" sound exists in English, and second because in English the "s" sound can shift to the "z" sound, which is what happened in the case of the pronunciation of "Jesus".

The fourth sound one hears in the name Yeshua is the "u" sound, as in the word "true". Like the first three sounds, this also has come to be mispronounced but in this case it is not the fault of the translators. They transcribed this sound accurately, but English is not a phonetic language and "u" can be pronounced in more than one way. At some point the "u" in "Jesus" came to be pronounced as in "cut," and so we say "Jee-zuhs."

The "a" sound, as in the word "father," is the fifth sound in Jesus' name. It is followed by a guttural produced by contracting the lower throat muscles and retracting the tongue root- an unfamiliar task for English speakers. In an exception to the rule, the vowel sound "a" associated with the last letter "ayin" (the guttural) is pronounced before it, not after. While there is no equivalent in English or any other Indo-European language, it is somewhat similar to the last sound in the name of the composer, "Bach." In this position it is almost inaudible to the western ear. Some Israelis pronounce this last sound and some don't, depending on what part of the dispersion their families returned from. The Hebrew Language Academy, guardian of the purity of the language, has ruled that it should be sounded, and Israeli radio and television announcers are required to pronounce it correctly. There was no letter to represent them, and so these fifth and sixth sounds were dropped from the Greek transcription of "Yeshua," -the transcription from which the English "Jesus" is derived.

So where did the final "s" of "Jesus" come from? Masculine names in Greek ordinarily end with a consonant, usually with an "s" sound, and less frequently with an "n" or "r" sound. In the case of "Iesus," the Greeks added a sigma, the "s" sound, to close the word. The same is true for the names Nicodemus, Judas, Lazarus, and others.

English speakers make one further change from the original pronunciation of Jesus' name. English places the accent on "Je," rather than on "sus." For this reason, the "u" has shortened in its English pronunciation to "uh."

In the West, a child's name is often chosen for its pleasant sound, or because another family member had it. The Jews of the Second Temple period also named after relatives (Luke 1:59-63). However, almost all Jewish names have a literal meaning. Occasionally this is seen in English names too, such as Scott (a person from Scotland), Johnson (son of John), and Baker (bread maker). But with Hebrew names it is the rule, rather than the exception.

The name Yeshua means The LORD's Salvation, or Cry Out to the LORD for Help. It is the short version of Yehoshua, literally "YHWH saves (or turns) us". In comparison, prior to being transliterated from the Hebrew Bible, the name Ἰησοῦς (Iesous) did not exist in Greek. Through multiple translations and changes in pronunciation, a tradition of saying "Jesus" has obscured His name, "Yeshua." It has shifted His perceived message and identity from Hebrew to Greek.

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 10/24/16 07:15 PM

I agree with you, moe.

* Evidence from Tacitus

* Evidence from Josephus

* Evidence from Lucian

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 10/19/16 09:34 AM

lol... now the bible thumpers are lining up to "save" this poor soul... spending to much time thinking about "god", either way, is never a good thing... maybe just try living without wondering wth god is doing(or why) might help out...

We as in people or in your words "bible thumpers" can't save anyone, nor is anyone trying. He presented some comments and we responded as we best know how. What he takes from it if anything is totally up too him. No one is wondering what God is doing, he will do what he wants, when he wants, if he wishes too do anything at all. And why not spend time thinking about God, how is it a bad thing specifically?

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 10/19/16 09:27 AM

I am fine , what you see here is .. some folks trying to save a poor soul ..but I'm fine.

They are correct ! Though.. and they are needed to help the lesser folks in this world for God.

But as for myself .. I don't need God.
bc I .. well I don't know really ... I was born almost perfect... you see folks I can compare what's right ..and wrong in life pretty good to.

To that fellow .. I know God quite well. I have seen God many times and quite Qualified to give details today who or what God really is.

And.. their is NO Satan ...their never was ..it was a story made up by God to keep you all alive.! Their is no angels!...no heaven... no nothing...

it's just God.! ..Who is this formless light ..that we are suspended in we call Space.

What bothers me is ...that I had to watch you all fight over God all these years..and not just god, you went as far as.. fighting with each other.

God had to make story's up... And you would not listen. You see..

As for the Christians who brought into it..and feel USED by God in all this... well ..you should be the one ,who decided to buy into God's fake idea anyway...!

Silly enough ..could not see what God was really saying ever since Genesis 1.

Not denying what you claim, just curious where you get this information besides personal feelings, or opinion persay. Did this God you speak of tell you so? Relay this information too you? How exactly besides your own personal thoughts come up with this information?

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 10/19/16 05:53 AM

I don't trust God. I believe ... we should return back to our old self. I still feel.. this way.. guys. I really do.

Here is why..

Kevin came from a family of hurts and pain... for many years.

Then he meets God.. older enough to know God.
God then shows Kevin what life is all about.

Then Kevin is put through a depression for many years.. it has crippled his soul! Literally.

You'll find this has happen... to everyone who choosed to listen to my statment.

We have never seen God ...only in dreams and all around us here ,on this world. and the stars at night.

The problem is.... we are put through more and more pain......! The more we connect with God.

This God is Useless! Folks!!! You know what I am saying...

It wants us to like it.... as we do this.. all the misery!!!! From allll.... the people around us in general... follow us... but their only concern is to help themselves ...in the long run.

The main problem is ... we are suffocating with this God..

I understand to... it is the RIGHT THING TO DO...to follow a God ,who REALLY DOES NOT EXSIST!

The moor we follow God... the more misery we have to help these people all around!!!!

And I am afraid to say.... I don't want to be put in a position all my life.... helping these people ..WHEN THE RICH PEOPLE CAN PUT THEIR MONEY INTO THIS MESS...CAN DO IT THEMSELVES...OR...THESE MISERY... NO HOPERS IN LIFE!!!! Can do it themselves.

I don't want to meet poor africans....!! Or people born into problems??? That is not even ours!!!

It's not our fault...that someone is born into a messed up family.

If we continue...to follow God... God may USE us...everywere we incarnate.. into a world!

This will make our souls muddy...and sloppy... been used by the broken creation ...that God created in the first place.

We have never seen God ...only in dreams and all around us here ,on this world. and the stars at night.

correction, you have never seen God. I see God every day, every where I look, I see miracles all around me.

The problem is.... we are put through more and more pain......! The more we connect with God.

This is correct too a degree. For closer we get to God, more Satan tries too pull us away.

The moor we follow God... the more misery we have to help these people all around!!!!

How is helping others misery for oneself?

It's not our fault...that someone is born into a messed up family.

No one said it was, but it wasn't their fault to have been born into that kind of family either. Nor God's, it's those messed up family's fault for being essentially "messed up".

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 10/10/16 06:06 PM

We would be without God ?what would happen if we didn't have God?

We would have nothing, not even existence.

CowboyGH's photo
Sun 10/09/16 08:04 AM
No they're out there as I assume woman of such are as well lol. Is hard, just gotta keep searching :)

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/07/16 06:26 PM

Supposedly, God never gives you more then you can handle. Just stick with it and get more positive!

Now that is a say which we give to people who always lose so thanks bro you are right. I lose always so I should remember these words.

You still have life, no? Then in fact you haven't lost at anything.

Bro it is the dream to die rather than live a life like this. Think no more needs no more losing no more issues no eating no woman no tension

With life, yes there may be some problems/discomforts or tragedy. But there is also love, enjoyment, and may things in between. With death, there is none of the above. Nothing, not even existence to experience any of the above mentioned among many more.

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 10/05/16 03:32 PM

Supposedly, God never gives you more then you can handle. Just stick with it and get more positive!

Now that is a say which we give to people who always lose so thanks bro you are right. I lose always so I should remember these words.

You still have life, no? Then in fact you haven't lost at anything.

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/01/16 01:47 PM

God exists.
Deal with it.

he doesn't
Deal with it.
He does and you cannot stand the veracity of His existence bigsmile

prove his existence

Prove His non-existance biggrin

I got you here, using the simplest logical principles .... you claim the existence of god, thus you are the one who is asked to prove your claim, you can't ask others to justify their rejecting of your claim when you have no proof ;-)

That doesn't answer the OP's question. "God" can in fact mean many different viables to person to person, answer the OP
s questions.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 09/30/16 07:11 AM

ever notice how many of these 'average' guys

looking for hot women

where are the average women

looking for a hot guy threads????

maybe I should start one bigsmile

But you don't qualify for the 'average' woman :)=

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 09/30/16 06:31 AM

Another thing I may tell you is , there has never be something created without a creator

Who created God then? According to your theory.

God wasn't created, he's always been. It's truly a hard concept in general for people to grasp, including Christians and what not as well, not dogging on people of other beliefs. But just because we were created/born and we see/experience others being created/born animals and everything of such, doesn't mean God "started" as such. He's just always eternally been in existence.

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 09/26/16 07:47 AM
talk away :)

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 09/26/16 07:41 AM

our father gave his name to Moses only, he is our father so we do not call our father by his name, we recognize God by many acronyms he. our father, holy grace etc these titles are how God wants us to recognise him by his spirit. He gave his prophets and deciples name besides there personal name,God does not have a Personal name for us as such, but when asked how we will know the true God, he said"I am what I am. If you would like to read more on this subject, please google boroean Picket under heading, "Does God have a Personal name".

Yah: the name of the God of Israel
Original Word: יָהּ
Part of Speech: Proper Name
Transliteration: Yah
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw)
Short Definition: LORD
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
contr. from Yhvh
Definition
the name of the God of Israel
NASB Translation
GOD (1), LORD (49).

Brown-Driver-Briggs
יָהּ50 proper name, of deity contracted from יהוה, first appears in early poems; Exodus 15:2 עָזִי וְזִמְרָת יָהּ My strength and song is Yah (cited Isaiah 12:2; Psalm 118:14), compare the poetic extract יָד עַל כֵּס יָהּ = hand to the throne of Yah Exodus 17:16 (E), the song of Hezekiah Isaiah 38:11 (repeated by dittography), (א)שׁ להבת יה (so read in preference to the ᵑ0 שַׁלְהֶבֶתְיָה) = flame of fire from Yah Songs 8:6; ביה יהוה Isaiah 26:4 (והיה sustained by Aq and the rhythmical movement, unless it be a mistake for שׁמו, compare Psalm 68:5), יה אלהים Psalm 68:19. Elsewhere יָהּ is used only in late Psalms, especially in the Hallels, in the phrase הַלֲלוּיָֿהּ praise ye Yah Psalm 104:35; Psalm 105:45; Psalm 106:1; Psalm 106:48; Psalm 111:1; Psalm 112:1; Psalm 113:1; Psalm 113:9; Psalm 115:18; Psalm 116:19; Psalm 117:2; Psalm 135:1; Psalm 135:3; Psalm 135:21; Psalm 146:1; Psalm 146:10; Psalm 147:1; Psalm 147:20; Psalm 148:1; Psalm 148:14; Psalm 149:1; Psalm 149:9; Psalm 150:1; Psalm 150:6, compare also יהלל יה Psalm 102:19 יהללו יה Psalm 115:17 תהלל יה Psalm 150:6 (see הלל); in variant reading other phrases Psalm 77:12; Psalm 89:9; Psalm 94:7; Psalm 94:12; Psalm 115:18; Psalm 118:5 (twice in verse); Psalm 118:17; Psalm 118:18; Psalm 118:19; Psalm 122:4; Psalm 130:3; Psalm 135:4.

Why do we have "The LORD" in our bibles rather than Yahweh?

This is a very common question. It all began with a Jewish tradition called the "ineffable name" doctrine. Jews, for various reasons, started to substitute His name with the Hebrew title "Adonai". Adonai is the Hebrew word for "Lord". This information can be easily verified in many Bible dictionaries and various encyclopedias. For instance, the Encyclopedia Britannica states:

Yahweh, the God of the Israelites, his name being revealed to Moses as four Hebrew CONSONANTS (YHWH) CALLED THE TETRAGRAMMATON. AFTER THE EXILE (6TH CENTURY BC), and especially from the 3rd century BC on, Jews ceased to use the name Yahweh for two reasons. As Judaism became a universal religion through its proselytizing in the Greco-Roman world, the more common noun elohim, meaning "god," tended to replace Yahweh to demonstrate the universal sovereignty of Israel's God over all others. At the same time, the divine name was increasingly regarded as too sacred to be uttered; it was thus replaced vocally in the synagogue ritual by the Hebrew word Adonai ("My Lord"), which was translated as Kyrios ("Lord") in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Old Testament.

We see in the above quote that Jews started to vocally replace the name "Yahweh" with "Adonai" (Lord) for two reasons:

1. It was beginning to be believed that His name was too sacred to be uttered

2. They preferred to simply call Him "Elohim" rather than "Yahweh" to demonstrate to the world that He is the only true Elohim.

While on the surface these reasons may seem honorable, they are very unscriptural. They were and are attempts to improve on Yahweh's already perfect ways. If Yahweh really wanted a substitute, why would He have placed His name there to begin with? Though scripture says to follow Yahweh rather than man, we find that nearly 7,000 times the most important name of all is replaced with a another word that man has chosen.

This tradition was not practiced by the Messiah or the apostles, but it was adopted by some Christians during the early half of the 2nd Century CE/AD. By the 4th century, this practice was well established and widely practiced. Jerome, a 4th century "Church Father" who authored the Latin Vulgate version, substituted the name "Yahweh" throughout with the Latin word "Dominus" (meaning "Lord"). The tradition of replacing Yahweh's name with "the LORD" continues to this day. Most English translations substitute the name Yahweh with "the LORD" and translations into other languages will also commonly choose a title meaning "Lord" in their own language. More information on this can be found in the preface of many modern bibles.

CowboyGH's photo
Mon 09/26/16 07:35 AM

our father gave his name to Moses only, he is our father so we do not call our father by his name, we recognize God by many acronyms he. our father, holy grace etc these titles are how God wants us to recognise him by his spirit. He gave his prophets and deciples name besides there personal name,God does not have a Personal name for us as such, but when asked how we will know the true God, he said"I am what I am. If you would like to read more on this subject, please google boroean Picket under heading, "Does God have a Personal name".

Yah: the name of the God of Israel
Original Word: יָהּ
Part of Speech: Proper Name
Transliteration: Yah
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw)
Short Definition: LORD
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
contr. from Yhvh
Definition
the name of the God of Israel
NASB Translation
GOD (1), LORD (49).

Brown-Driver-Briggs
יָהּ50 proper name, of deity contracted from יהוה, first appears in early poems; Exodus 15:2 עָזִי וְזִמְרָת יָהּ My strength and song is Yah (cited Isaiah 12:2; Psalm 118:14), compare the poetic extract יָד עַל כֵּס יָהּ = hand to the throne of Yah Exodus 17:16 (E), the song of Hezekiah Isaiah 38:11 (repeated by dittography), (א)שׁ להבת יה (so read in preference to the ᵑ0 שַׁלְהֶבֶתְיָה) = flame of fire from Yah Songs 8:6; ביה יהוה Isaiah 26:4 (והיה sustained by Aq and the rhythmical movement, unless it be a mistake for שׁמו, compare Psalm 68:5), יה אלהים Psalm 68:19. Elsewhere יָהּ is used only in late Psalms, especially in the Hallels, in the phrase הַלֲלוּיָֿהּ praise ye Yah Psalm 104:35; Psalm 105:45; Psalm 106:1; Psalm 106:48; Psalm 111:1; Psalm 112:1; Psalm 113:1; Psalm 113:9; Psalm 115:18; Psalm 116:19; Psalm 117:2; Psalm 135:1; Psalm 135:3; Psalm 135:21; Psalm 146:1; Psalm 146:10; Psalm 147:1; Psalm 147:20; Psalm 148:1; Psalm 148:14; Psalm 149:1; Psalm 149:9; Psalm 150:1; Psalm 150:6, compare also יהלל יה Psalm 102:19 יהללו יה Psalm 115:17 תהלל יה Psalm 150:6 (see הלל); in variant reading other phrases Psalm 77:12; Psalm 89:9; Psalm 94:7; Psalm 94:12; Psalm 115:18; Psalm 118:5 (twice in verse); Psalm 118:17; Psalm 118:18; Psalm 118:19; Psalm 122:4; Psalm 130:3; Psalm 135:4.

CowboyGH's photo
Sun 09/25/16 05:33 PM

Well I will always say I use my self as a living testimony. I've dated three ladies already of which my rule was no sex before marriage. But eventually friends of such girls I dated thought I couldn't errect that was why I imposed that rule.Well due to that I guess it's ruined all my relationships and I've made up my mind to remain single for some time till I come across the right one.God does mighty things in His own time

Amen, because the wait will "weed out" all the users and other foul characteristics of people. Will give you time too find a woman that wishes too wait as well :) Best of blessings my friend.

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 09/21/16 08:24 PM

Heeloooooo

Yeah what's your comment or question? :/

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 24 25