Community > Posts By > CowboyGH

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 11/02/16 12:10 PM

And, proving once again that God is NOT a loving god:

Leviticus 21:17-21

"17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,19 Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God."

On top of everything else, God discriminates against disabled people.

Jeez, Yahweh! That's not very PC. You probably didn't even have a wheelchair ramp at the tabernacle, did you? You're lucky there was no Jews with Disabilities Act on the books. For crying out loud, haven't these poor people suffered enough already without you rejecting them? Especially the guy with crushed balls!

Try not taking things out of context.

Leviticus 21

1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

Remember, people in the Old Covenant were judged on Earth for their sins. Thus Jesus referencing a multitude of different deformities or irregularities in a person eg., brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire. These types of people in reference are that way because of their sins, thus they are "defiled". And read even further, these "rules" were not "standard". They were specific to a specific group for a specific reason.

21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.

23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the Lord do sanctify them.

First off, why the need for an "old" covenant, and a "new" covenant. I reject the whole idea. Why? Because, once again, I (The atheist.) give All-Knowing, All-Wise God credit for being just that. In other words, I trust that he would have had the wisdom and foresight (Especially since he can see into the future and all.) to come up with the right solution, i.e. the "new" covenant, in the first place, rather than piddle-assing around for thousands of years with a defective system.

Second, you claim that anyone with a deformity is that way because of sin, and that that was why they were rejected for the priestly duties in question. I realize that you have to believe this, since the Jesus character is depicted as saying that, but really...
That's disgusting, to be frank.Assuming that any of this stuff actually happened, I'm sure that there were many people with deformities who would have been very sincere and dedicated in carrying out these duties. Unlike Eli's studly sons, who were approved to be priests, yet abused their positions by banging lots of women who showed up at the Tabernacle. (2 Samuel 2:22)

That said, I'll play along...

Romans 3:23

"23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

According to that, even the priests who were Tom Selleck look-a-likes were sinners, too. Yet, they were Yahweh-approved. Well, I guess someone had to carry out the services, and Yahweh wanted only beautiful people doing it.

I still say that it wasn't very loving of him.

First off, why the need for an "old" covenant, and a "new" covenant. I reject the whole idea. Why? Because, once again, I (The atheist.) give All-Knowing, All-Wise God credit for being just that. In other words, I trust that he would have had the wisdom and foresight (Especially since he can see into the future and all.) to come up with the right solution, i.e. the "new" covenant, in the first place, rather than piddle-assing around for thousands of years with a defective system.

That is why the first covenant prophesied it's ending and the coming a'new. It wasn't a "change", it was a furthering progress. Why he chose specifically too do two different covenants as he did I personally don't know as I'm not God, you would have to ask him when you get the chance.

Second, you claim that anyone with a deformity is that way because of sin, and that that was why they were rejected for the priestly duties in question.

I claimed no such thing. This specific bit of information from the scriptures that was referenced spoke of such, but never insinuated that was the case for ALL "deformities" to this day. Again is why I even specifically referenced in the old covenant people were judged for this sins on Earth and it even carried into multiple generations at times depending on the situation and God's judgement at that time.

According to that, even the priests who were Tom Selleck look-a-likes were sinners, too. Yet, they were Yahweh-approved. Well, I guess someone had to carry out the services, and Yahweh wanted only beautiful people doing it.

Jumping back and forth between old testament "covenant" and new testament "covenant" won't bring any clear information, as again they are two entirely different covenant "sets of laws" and punishment was different in the old covenant as it is now.

CowboyGH's photo
Wed 11/02/16 07:16 AM
Edited by CowboyGH on Wed 11/02/16 07:19 AM

And, proving once again that God is NOT a loving god:

Leviticus 21:17-21

"17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,19 Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God."

On top of everything else, God discriminates against disabled people.

Jeez, Yahweh! That's not very PC. You probably didn't even have a wheelchair ramp at the tabernacle, did you? You're lucky there was no Jews with Disabilities Act on the books. For crying out loud, haven't these poor people suffered enough already without you rejecting them? Especially the guy with crushed balls!

Try not taking things out of context.

Leviticus 21

1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

Remember, people in the Old Covenant were judged on Earth for their sins. Thus Jesus referencing a multitude of different deformities or irregularities in a person eg., brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire. These types of people in reference are that way because of their sins, thus they are "defiled". And read even further, these "rules" were not "standard". They were specific to a specific group for a specific reason.

21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.

23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the Lord do sanctify them.

CowboyGH's photo
Tue 11/01/16 06:48 PM

It wasn't very loving of God to drown all the animals who didn't make it onto the floating shoebox with Noah & Company just because he wanted to "off" a bunch of unruly humans.
All he had to do was crank up his patented Ananias and Sapphira Death Beam (Acts 5:1-11.) and take all the miscreants out like a Heavenly sniper. For that matter, he could also have cranked up the intensity on the ASDB and fried them completely. No muss, no fuss, and no bloated carcasses littering the landscape for Noah and Company to have to clean up. ("Damn, Shem. Look at the size of those elephants. It's going to take us a month to dig a big enough hole for them. And they're really starting to smell, too!")

It wasn't very loving of God to drown all the animals who didn't make it onto the floating shoebox with Noah & Company just because he wanted to "off" a bunch of unruly humans.

Animals/beasts don't have "souls". They are for our use. Either direct use, or in the long run bee's pollinating, riding horses, ect. It wasn't just about "offing" a bunch of unruly humans. It was 1. Prophesied it would happen when certain factors met, 2. It don't suspect it was just about judging the unruly, as it also changed the fact of the world. So therefore brought forth more positive then negative.

There are many Bible passages that depict Yahweh as instructing humans to treat animals kindly (Even though he also required scads of animal sacrifice. D.I.D. Yahweh strikes again!), so it isn't as cut-and-dry as you claim. For, if animals are just "for our use," there would have been no need for Yahweh to say things like this:

Jonah 4:11

"11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?"

Within the context of forgiving the Ninevites' sins, which is what Yahweh and Jonah are here discussing, the cattle should not have even been a consideration, according to your assertion above.

But, all that aside, consider this:
Animals feel pain.
Animals show fear.
Animals suffer.
Animals did not cause all the wickedness that Yahweh was in a snit about in the story. Humans, and "sons of God," did.

So, regardless of what you might claim animals' purpose is, it was unloving of God to NEEDLESSLY drown all of the animals who didn't get a boarding ticket for the floating shoe-box.

As for why Yahweh brought the flood, Genesis says this:
Genesis 6:5-7

"5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them."

Sure sounds like he wanted to "off" a bunch of unruly humans to me. Particularly since, after the whole horrid affair was concluded, he said this:

Genesis 8:21

"21 And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done."

Notice the parallel? The human heart hadn't changed. Humans were still "evil" according to Yahweh. So, apparently Yahweh brought the flood specifically to "off" the unruly humans who were infesting the place at that time.
Otherwise, one must conclude that he went to all the trouble of bringing the flood for nothing, as he knew that the whole process would just begin again, anyway.

Furthermore, it is strange to consider that an All-Wise God would do something so monstrous, and then afterwords conclude that it was not a good idea. After all, he said afterwards that he would never do anything like that again. (I.E. "Curse the ground any more for man's sake.")
Hey...come to think of it...maybe THAT was when he constructed the Ananias and Sapphira Death Beam! So he wouldn't have to wipe out EVERYTHING again. He could just pick off the ******* humans he didn't like.
I may be onto something there...

At any rate, in keeping with the whole point of this entire thread, bringing the flood wasn't very loving.

There are many Bible passages that depict Yahweh as instructing humans to treat animals kindly (Even though he also required scads of animal sacrifice. D.I.D. Yahweh strikes again!), so it isn't as cut-and-dry as you claim. For, if animals are just "for our use," there would have been no need for Yahweh to say things like this

The sacrifices were to pay for mankind's faults and mistakes. Yes he's told us to be loving to the beasts of the world, but allowed the sacrifice of animals in terms of allowing them to give up something they needed to "show" their remorse for their actions. There wasn't grocery stores and such then, food was more scarce there then it is now. The sacrifices in themselves never brought him pleasure though.

Isaiah 1:11

11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

Jonah 4:11

"11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?"

Within the context of forgiving the Ninevites' sins, which is what Yahweh and Jonah are here discussing, the cattle should not have even been a consideration, according to your assertion above.

I do not understand your point here, please elaborate. Those cattle or reference of cattle were no where near any reference towards sacrifice. Again, there weren't grocery stores and such, the reference of the cattle here was purely along those lines explaining how much they had. Not specifically again anything in reference of sacrificial or anything, please do elaborate on the intentions with this verse.

Notice the parallel? The human heart hadn't changed. Humans were still "evil" according to Yahweh. So, apparently Yahweh brought the flood specifically to "off" the unruly humans who were infesting the place at that time.
Otherwise, one must conclude that he went to all the trouble of bringing the flood for nothing, as he knew that the whole process would just begin again, anyway.

That is exactly why he did the flood... didn't know there was confusion about that. Also remember/keep in mind the flood happened in old testament times, old covenant times, where people were judged on Earth and paid for their sins on Earth. Thus the world had become over ruly with sinful actions, therefore God judged the whole world as sinful and carried out his judgement. And again the animals don't have any baring in that... still don't see your point. Animals are here for our usage, either food chain wise, pollinating flowers, our food, transportation, protection, or whatever may be the case at hand. They do not have souls, they will not join us in Heaven, or be thrown into the lake of fire.

CowboyGH's photo
Tue 11/01/16 12:24 PM

More semantics. Trying to muddy the water. I know from reading your posts that you possess the intelligence to grasp the point of my Ra illustration.

To truly be honest, don't know how to exceptionally take this post... nor do I know the "ra illustration" reference... if it was a previous reference in the thread, I apologize for my memory.

CowboyGH's photo
Tue 11/01/16 10:58 AM

On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness. The rocks were rent by an earthquake and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover. But an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time...

Thanks for quoting that one. You're again making my point for me as far as how far you have to go in order to come up with ANYTHING to support your argument.

The above passage comes to us from a NINTH-Century monk named George Syncellus, who is here quoting a Second-Third Century CHRISTIAN writer named Julius Africanus, who was paraphrasing Thallus, and inserting his own biased interpretation of the cause of the darkness into the passage.

To again illustrate the point, if I round up a quote from a Nine-Century Muslim writer affirming that Allah is the true god, and that he sent the Archangel Gabriel to Mohammed, and Gabriel passed Allah's words onto Mohammed, would you accept that as a historical reality?

The two references have nothing to do with one another. I can scientifically prove there was a "solar eclipse" at that time and earth quakes as previously shown in this thread through other posts on here. Will bring them back up if you wish. But it has been scientifically proven those things actually happened, not saying they state the reasons of why it happened being the same, but nevertheless can show scientifically the eclipse and earth quakes actually happened around that time.

So?
I can tell you that:
In 2008 Barack Obama and John McCain both vied for the Presidency. Some days it was sunny, some days it rained. After the election, large, bi-pedal pink Bunny Men from the planet Karrot landed on the moon, and NASA is covering it up.

And, you can go to Google and confirm that Barack Obama and John McCain vied for the Presidency in 2008, and that some days it was sunny, while some days it rained. If you then find only sketchy evidence about the Bunny Men, would you shrug your shoulders and conclude, "Well, everything else he told me was true, I'll just take his word for it about the bunny Men."?

But you can not "prove" any of that, so our discussion is finished. The only thing you can prove to this day about 2008 is some documents, maybe heresay evidence, or maybe even a "forged" video, what I been trying to display/show this entire time is ANYTHING as for yesterday that was not experienced first hand is taken on faith that it is truth. As I said many times "evidence/proof" is only as valid as the person wishes it to be. No one can "prove" anything to anyone, unless they are willing to accept it as fact. And you are not willing too accept the facts, so enough said.

Wow.

I already told you that I agree with your assertion that little can be absolutely proven. However, we generally accept that something is a fact if the evidence is strong enough. And I have repeatedly demonstrated to you that the evidence you have presented is not very strong. Again, if I was trying to sell you on worshiping Ra, and used some of the same type of arguments and "facts" that you are using, you wouldn't accept them. Why? because you would have no sacred cow to defend in that debate, so you would examine my evidence with common sense and logic.

And...you're mistaken. I will accept facts, if you decide to provide some facts that stand up to logical scrutiny.

Again, if I was trying to sell you on worshiping Ra

Who's "selling" anything? We're here for the discussions at hand. Not trying to convert you or make you believe my friend. Just expressing details/information(s) on the discussion at hand.

CowboyGH's photo
Tue 11/01/16 10:50 AM

All he had to do was crank up his patented Ananias and Sapphira Death Beam (Acts 5:1-11.) and take all the miscreants out like a Heavenly sniper. For that matter, he could also have cranked up the intensity on the ASDB and fried them completely. No muss, no fuss, and no bloated carcasses littering the landscape for Noah and Company to have to clean up. ("Damn, Shem. Look at the size of those elephants. It's going to take us a month to dig a big enough hole for them. And they're really starting to smell, too!")

Animals/beasts don't have "souls". They are for our use. Either direct use, or in the long run bee's pollinating, riding horses, ect. It wasn't just about "offing" a bunch of unruly humans. It was 1. Prophesied it would happen when certain factors met, 2. It don't suspect it was just about judging the unruly, as it also changed the fact of the world. So therefore brought forth more positive then negative.

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 02:43 PM
Edited by CowboyGH on Sat 10/29/16 02:59 PM

On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness. The rocks were rent by an earthquake and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover. But an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time...

Thanks for quoting that one. You're again making my point for me as far as how far you have to go in order to come up with ANYTHING to support your argument.

The above passage comes to us from a NINTH-Century monk named George Syncellus, who is here quoting a Second-Third Century CHRISTIAN writer named Julius Africanus, who was paraphrasing Thallus, and inserting his own biased interpretation of the cause of the darkness into the passage.

To again illustrate the point, if I round up a quote from a Nine-Century Muslim writer affirming that Allah is the true god, and that he sent the Archangel Gabriel to Mohammed, and Gabriel passed Allah's words onto Mohammed, would you accept that as a historical reality?

The two references have nothing to do with one another. I can scientifically prove there was a "solar eclipse" at that time and earth quakes as previously shown in this thread through other posts on here. Will bring them back up if you wish. But it has been scientifically proven those things actually happened, not saying they state the reasons of why it happened being the same, but nevertheless can show scientifically the eclipse and earth quakes actually happened around that time.

So?
I can tell you that:
In 2008 Barack Obama and John McCain both vied for the Presidency. Some days it was sunny, some days it rained. After the election, large, bi-pedal pink Bunny Men from the planet Karrot landed on the moon, and NASA is covering it up.

And, you can go to Google and confirm that Barack Obama and John McCain vied for the Presidency in 2008, and that some days it was sunny, while some days it rained. If you then find only sketchy evidence about the Bunny Men, would you shrug your shoulders and conclude, "Well, everything else he told me was true, I'll just take his word for it about the bunny Men."?

But you can not "prove" any of that, so our discussion is finished. The only thing you can prove to this day about 2008 is some documents, maybe heresay evidence, or maybe even a "forged" video, what I been trying to display/show this entire time is ANYTHING as for yesterday that was not experienced first hand is taken on faith that it is truth. As I said many times "evidence/proof" is only as valid as the person wishes it to be. No one can "prove" anything to anyone, unless they are willing to accept it as fact. And you are not willing too accept the facts, so enough said.

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 01:57 PM

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 01:54 PM

Well my friend, I have shown external references too Jesus and or specifically his resurrection. If you wish to take them as being biased or possibly unreliable, that is your choose chosen by you in your faith. No one can "prove" Jesus existed, was crucified, and resurrected 3 days later to you. Just as on the same level you can't "prove" the sun rose and set yesterday without referencing heresy information on the matter. "Proof" is only as good as a person wishes to allow it to have. Of course there aren't that many "references" external from the bible or else, people in those days were generally illiterate. And to the Roman empire, Jesus was indeed just another man spreading blasphemy, thus why he was crucified. Just as I or anyone else can't "prove" Jesus to be God, existed, was crucified, or resurrected, you can't even "prove" anything that is further in the past then today to anyone without them giving credibility to the information provided. And as I said prior, people were illiterate at that time, so of course there isn't an entire lot of "references" to any of the above mention, nor was their tv news, internet, or much social media to begin with.

First of all, let me state again: In the other thread, the gentleman stated that there was ample extra-biblical PROOF of Jesus' resurrection. I commented that I would love to see that. You offered a list of extra-biblical references to Jesus for our consideration. I have here demonstrated how few of these references actually refer to the RESURRECTION, as well as how vital the resurrection is to Christianity. I then used logic and common sense to try to get you (And anyone else who might be reading this.) to see how flimsy this evidence is. It certainly doesn't come anywhere near being PROOF.
Now, I actually agree with you that it is very difficult to PROVE anything, and that was my main point. The gentleman on the other thread made an assertion that is patently false. You just admitted it yourself in the above post. When I see an apologist make an assertion like that, I try to correct the record for the benefit of any readers who might be like I once was; struggling with the internal conflict between the things they were taught (Brainwashed) into believing from youth, and their sense of logic.
For, not everyone has had the time, or the inclination, to study this information as much as you and I have. So, when someone who hasn't studied like we have hears or reads someone stating that there is ample extra-biblical proof of Jesus' resurrection, he/she may not be informed enough to know that that is NOT true, and this could cause the person to be misled. As I once was.

As for your comment about Jesus being crucified by the Romans for spreading blasphemy...I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. Assuming for the sake of argument that Jesus actually existed, and was actually crucified by the Romans, the Romans wouldn't have crucified him for blasphemy. Do you think the Romans gave a damn whether or not Jesus was committing some form of apostasy from the JEWISH faith?
If the Romans did, in fact, crucify him, it was because they considered him an insurrectionist; another messiah figure among many that they had had to deal with since taking over the area.
Taking the story at face-value, this can be inferred both by the fact that he was depicted as being crucified, rather than being beheaded, and that Pilate supposedly had the sign put up above his head reading, "King of the Jews." (Rather than "Blasphemer.")

As for your point about most people at the time being illiterate, yes, I said that in my earlier comment. Thank you for confirming that fact. However, it is a rather serendipitous irony that, despite that fact, there were a number of historians in that region near the time in question whose writings have been preserved down to this day. It's nothing short of astonishing that Jesus could have done all the things he is said to have done, including rising from the dead, without being referred to by Philo, Pliny the Elder, Seneca the Elder, and Seneca the Younger, to name a few. This despite the fact that the Gospels tell us things like this:

Luke 4:36-37King James Version (KJV)

36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.37 And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.

As Lazarus said on the other thread, one has to keep the blinders on in order to ignore the logical conclusion when faced with this information. I am quite certain that if I tried to convince you that Ra was the true God, and engaged in spin and special pleading in order to attempt to refute your criticisms, you would be all over me, calling me on it. And, well you should.

While we may not be able to PROVE whether or not any of the stories about Jesus are true, we can certainly examine the evidence available with a logical, common sense approach. (Occam's Razor, anyone?)

The synagogue "church" had tremendous power/authority over the people in that day and thus we have and why it wasn't mentioned, inspired, quoted, ect by the government

John 12
42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:

43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

And I'm sure it wasn't just the fear of being put out of the synagogue, but also possibly hanged just as Jesus was.

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 07:26 AM
12] Jesus Scorned CELSUS (~ 178 A.D.) Celsus was a second century Roman author and avid opponent of Christianity. He went to great lengths to disprove the divinity of Jesus yet never denied His actual existence. Unfortunately for Celsus, he sets himself up for criticism by mimicking the exact accusations brought against Jesus by the pharisees which had already been addressed and refuted in the New Testament. There are two very important facts regarding Celsus which make him one of the most important witnesses in this discussion:

On Jesus' Miracles: "Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain [magical] powers... He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god... It was by means of sorcery that He was able to accomplish the wonders which He performed...Let us believe that these cures, or the resurrection, or the feeding of a multitude with a few loaves... These are nothing more than the tricks of jugglers... It is by the names of certain demons, and by the use of incantations, that the Christians appear to be possessed of [miraculous] power..."

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 07:22 AM

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 05:19 AM
And one more statement on the matter, if I'm not mistaken you referenced such things as biased doctrine. You do realize, the things written in the bible were not intended to be included into one booklet we call the bible. They were various epistles to certain people for certain reasons. Later found and put together into what we call the bible.

I mean the printing press wasn't even invented until 1450's. Yes there was hand written versions prior, but again most to all people were illiterate at that time still so was no need or really even thought to do so.

CowboyGH's photo
Sat 10/29/16 05:08 AM
Well my friend, I have shown external references too Jesus and or specifically his resurrection. If you wish to take them as being biased or possibly unreliable, that is your choose chosen by you in your faith. No one can "prove" Jesus existed, was crucified, and resurrected 3 days later to you. Just as on the same level you can't "prove" the sun rose and set yesterday without referencing heresy information on the matter. "Proof" is only as good as a person wishes to allow it to have. Of course there aren't that many "references" external from the bible or else, people in those days were generally illiterate. And to the Roman empire, Jesus was indeed just another man spreading blasphemy, thus why he was crucified. Just as I or anyone else can't "prove" Jesus to be God, existed, was crucified, or resurrected, you can't even "prove" anything that is further in the past then today to anyone without them giving credibility to the information provided. And as I said prior, people were illiterate at that time, so of course there isn't an entire lot of "references" to any of the above mention, nor was their tv news, internet, or much social media to begin with.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 07:04 PM
Ignatius according to tradition was a pupil of the Apostle John. He is said to be the second bishop of Antioch after Peter and he lived between 50-115 AD. Ignatius also died a martyr for his faith and belief in the resurrection (this can be verified in Fox's Book of Martyrs, pgs. 7-8A5;Evidence, by Josh McDowell, page 185A1; and American Peoples Encyclopedia, Vol.10,page 895A17). The following is a quote by Ignatius, which is found in Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. I,: “The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians”, Chapter 9:

"Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was descended from David, and was also of Mary; who was truly begotten of God and of the Virgin, but not after the same manner. For indeed God and man are not the same. He truly assumed a body; for ‘the Word was made flesh,’ and lived upon earth without sin. For says He, ‘Which of you convicteth me of sin?’ He did in reality both eat and drink. He was crucified and died under Pontius Pilate. He really, and not merely in appearance, was crucified, and died, in the sight of beings in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth. By those in heaven I mean such as are possessed of incorporeal natures; by those on earth, the Jews and Romans, and such persons as were present at that time when the Lord was crucified; and by those under the earth, the multitude that arose along with the Lord. For says the Scripture, ‘Many bodies of the saints that slept arose,’ their graves being opened. He descended, indeed, into Hades alone, but He arose accompanied by a multitude; and rent asunder that means of separation which had existed from the beginning of the world, and cast down its partition-wall. He also rose again in three days, the Father raising Him up; and after spending forty days with the apostles, He was received up to the Father, and ‘sat down at His right hand, expecting till His enemies are placed under His feet.’ On the day of the preparation, then, at the third hour, He received the sentence from Pilate, the Father permitting that to happen; at the sixth hour He was crucified; at the ninth hour He gave up the ghost; and before sunset He was buried. During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathea had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead."

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 06:55 PM
The tomb was discovered empty by women. Why is this important? Because the testimony of women in 1st century Jewish culture was considered worthless. As Craig says, "if the empty tomb story were a legend, then it is most likely that the male disciples would have been made the first to discover the empty tomb. The fact that despised women, whose testimony was deemed worthless, were the chief witnesses to the fact of the empty tomb can only be plausibly explained if, like it or not, they actually were the discoverers of the empty tomb."

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 06:53 PM
The empty tomb is supported by the historical reliability of the burial story. NT scholars agree that he burial story is one of the best established facts about Jesus. One reason for this is because of the inclusion of Joseph of Arimethea as the one who buried Christ. Joseph was a member of the Jewish Sanhedrein, a sort of Jewish supreme court. People on this ruling class were simply too well known for fictitious stories about them to be pulled off in this way. This would have exposed the Christians as frauds. So they couldn't have circulated a story about him burying Jesus unless it was true. Also, if the burial account was legendary, one would expect to find conflicting traditions--which we don't have.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 06:16 PM
FLAVIUS JOSEPHUS

At this time there was a wise man who was called Jesus. And his conduct was good, and [he] was known to be virtuous. And many people from among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. And those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion and that he was alive;..

Josephus
About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he . . . wrought surprising feats. . . . He was the Christ. When Pilate . . .condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared . . . restored to life. . . . And the tribe of Christians . . . has . . . not disappeared.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 05:35 PM

Just as much proof in both?? LOL, nope!. There are likely people still alive today that had relatives that spoke to George Washington or maybe relatives of his slaves. He was one of the founding fathers of the united states and that was not long ago. There are paintings of him, lol. Also like I said, boring president vs. Supreme magical being. One of these makes sense and the other comes off as a children's fairy tale, please tell me that you can tell the difference? Some would think you insane otherwise.

Well I was wrong, George would have one form of "evidence" over Jesus. As Jesus never got married and never had biological children. But there are first hand paintings of Jesus, painted of him and while he was on the cross. But I know not of this Supreme "magical" being you speak of, didn't know we were talking about magic.

Magic, miracles or godly intervention, it matters not; these are just terms that people use for things that they cannot understand. Maybe some man named Jesus lived 2000 years ago and storys were likely told of him, exaggerated stories of being the son of god because his mother was a virgin. I mean no possible way that she could have just been a slut and too scared of her husband whom at the time would have had full rights to beat her senseless if not to death if caught cheating on him. And more exaggerated stories about how he turned perfectly good water into wine, for reasons.. I guess getting drunk was a necessity back then.. Or what was the other one, turning one loaf of bread into 10, it's likely that Jesus merely invented sliced bread, lol...

It's likely these stories made it through time because they're based on "truth" and even today people still cling to "reality" TV even if it is mostly scripted and made up.

Simple fact, For most of us, life is boring and pointless, that is all. We need to live in the day and not for some fantasy afterlife. We will live on after death but only as the molecules that made up our being, nothing more.

Crucifixion wasn't a "common" punishment for just any regular ole joe. Sorry you feel that way about a miracle, I hope one day you'll truly experience a miracle :). And for the rest of it, it's just your "feelings" perspective of it. Not renouncing what you feel about it, just has no more merit or "proven" truth then what I state here.

Feeling good about something (no matter how good) does not make it divine.
Like, if I survive a heart attack, that's just dumb luck, people do it all the time. If I survive a heart attack then float up several feet out of the hospital bed as if to be lifted by the hand of a god, maybe then.

??? Please elaborate. The dead since Jesus was on Earth have not risen too Heaven and will not rise or go to Heaven until the second coming of Christ.

1 Thessalonians 4:16

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

I mean it's a beautiful wonderful thought to think about your diseased relatives or maybe loved ones being in Heaven, but that isn't the case. They are in hell atm, or as we call it the "grave" awaiting Jesus' return to be taken home.

Revelation 20:13

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And mary had a little lamb. What was your point?

Was just clarifying your attempt of belittling the belief with your statement of

If I survive a heart attack then float up several feet out of the hospital bed as if to be lifted by the hand of a god, maybe then.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 04:12 PM
Edited by CowboyGH on Fri 10/28/16 04:14 PM

Just as much proof in both?? LOL, nope!. There are likely people still alive today that had relatives that spoke to George Washington or maybe relatives of his slaves. He was one of the founding fathers of the united states and that was not long ago. There are paintings of him, lol. Also like I said, boring president vs. Supreme magical being. One of these makes sense and the other comes off as a children's fairy tale, please tell me that you can tell the difference? Some would think you insane otherwise.

Well I was wrong, George would have one form of "evidence" over Jesus. As Jesus never got married and never had biological children. But there are first hand paintings of Jesus, painted of him and while he was on the cross. But I know not of this Supreme "magical" being you speak of, didn't know we were talking about magic.

Magic, miracles or godly intervention, it matters not; these are just terms that people use for things that they cannot understand. Maybe some man named Jesus lived 2000 years ago and storys were likely told of him, exaggerated stories of being the son of god because his mother was a virgin. I mean no possible way that she could have just been a slut and too scared of her husband whom at the time would have had full rights to beat her senseless if not to death if caught cheating on him. And more exaggerated stories about how he turned perfectly good water into wine, for reasons.. I guess getting drunk was a necessity back then.. Or what was the other one, turning one loaf of bread into 10, it's likely that Jesus merely invented sliced bread, lol...

It's likely these stories made it through time because they're based on "truth" and even today people still cling to "reality" TV even if it is mostly scripted and made up.

Simple fact, For most of us, life is boring and pointless, that is all. We need to live in the day and not for some fantasy afterlife. We will live on after death but only as the molecules that made up our being, nothing more.

Crucifixion wasn't a "common" punishment for just any regular ole joe. Sorry you feel that way about a miracle, I hope one day you'll truly experience a miracle :). And for the rest of it, it's just your "feelings" perspective of it. Not renouncing what you feel about it, just has no more merit or "proven" truth then what I state here.

Feeling good about something (no matter how good) does not make it divine.
Like, if I survive a heart attack, that's just dumb luck, people do it all the time. If I survive a heart attack then float up several feet out of the hospital bed as if to be lifted by the hand of a god, maybe then.

??? Please elaborate. The dead since Jesus was on Earth have not risen too Heaven and will not rise or go to Heaven until the second coming of Christ.

1 Thessalonians 4:16

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

I mean it's a beautiful wonderful thought to think about your diseased relatives or maybe loved ones being in Heaven, but that isn't the case. They are in hell atm, or as we call it the "grave" awaiting Jesus' return to be taken home.

Revelation 20:13

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

CowboyGH's photo
Fri 10/28/16 12:14 PM

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25